Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #501
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Sack. This doesn't happen to me man...ever. I know it's been an ongoing thing for you, but I'm not really sure why.

It's mystifying. I've started to figure out when the game wants me to cover - the player control indicator points toward the base, which lights up, and I've started responding to that.

The thing is, I'm getting dinged even in situations when cover is impossible. For example, a liner laced foul down the line, my player doesn't move - he waits for the ball to be thrown back to him. He ends up striking out both batters he faces, the ball is never in play sufficient that he could cover, and yet..."-10 Not Covering Base."

I've also started to see "No Throw" show up, but I have no idea why.

On the other hand? I just made it from the Royals' AA system to the major leagues without getting traded one time. I don't know if that's coincidence, or if they've fixed that somehow. If the latter, props there. It was getting annoying getting traded three times in two weeks, and sometimes between the same set of two teams.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #502
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sack. This doesn't happen to me man...ever. I know it's been an ongoing thing for you, but I'm not really sure why.

+1

I think it has happened once or twice but I knew that it was going to happen as I got the cover indicator and decided too late to try to cover.

It's going to happen in a game like this as the only way to have the "cover the base" objective be rigidly controlled is if the gameplay was canned and predetermined.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #503
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
+1

I think it has happened once or twice but I knew that it was going to happen as I got the cover indicator and decided too late to try to cover.

It's going to happen in a game like this as the only way to have the "cover the base" objective be rigidly controlled is if the gameplay was canned and predetermined.

The presence of "Not covering base" by itself bothers me less the more I play, especially now that I've figured out when, in general, I'm supposed to cover.

What's bothering me now is getting dinged when I have no ability to cover - as in the aforementioned strikeout scenarios, or in a situation where the ball is hit to right, and the camera follows the ball, but for some reason I'm supposed to cover third base.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #504
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Crud, even though I suck at hitting I almost hit for the cycle. Even more amazing as the player I was using was my lumbering 3B with no speed.

First at bat I hit alooping ball down the right field line and the fielder dove for it ad it rolled to the wall for my triple.

Next at bat I double into the left field gap.

Third at bat I homer to left.

At bat number 4 I screw up and strike out and thought I was through but I got a 9th inning at bat with 2 outs and the bases loaded and I hit a line drive that I think is over the shortstop's head but he makes the catch.

Crud!

Now with the weird update issue that I have encountered I have gone frmo mildly disappointed over this to ticked off about the update issue.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #505
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

update issue?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:11 AM   #506
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
update issue?

PS3 WTF!!!???!!! - Front Office Football Central

Was told I needed to do the update in order to sign online (was going to check for roster updates).
Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #507
SackAttack
Head Coach

Interesting. Did a knockout training, and my fastball started the training at 92mph, and was touching 96 by the end of the training.

Oh, and apparently I've been demoted from my role as the closer after saving 44-44 for the AL pennant-winning Royals last year.

Good luck going back to the playoffs, guys.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #508
Comey
College Starter

Interesting. Are they grooming you for a starter spot?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #509
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't *think* so.

After demoting me, they used me mostly between the 6th/8th for an inning or less. No effort to stretch me out.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #510
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Interesting. Did a knockout training, and my fastball started the training at 92mph, and was touching 96 by the end of the training.

Oh, and apparently I've been demoted from my role as the closer after saving 44-44 for the AL pennant-winning Royals last year.

Good luck going back to the playoffs, guys.

To be fair, you did say... Royals.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #511
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
To be fair, you did say... Royals.

To be fair, they sucked before they made me closer, got shit-hot after that, and rode me to the playoffs where I saved games 4-7 in the ALCS against the Red Sox to even get 'em INTO the World Series, and now they're pulling this middle relief "I need to see more from you before I make you the closer" shit.

I think they're punishing me for not accepting the 6 year, $6 million offer they made me after the World Series.

No, that wasn't $6 million per year.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #512
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To be fair, they sucked before they made me closer, got shit-hot after that, and rode me to the playoffs where I saved games 4-7 in the ALCS against the Red Sox to even get 'em INTO the World Series, and now they're pulling this middle relief "I need to see more from you before I make you the closer" shit.

I think they're punishing me for not accepting the 6 year, $6 million offer they made me after the World Series.

No, that wasn't $6 million per year.

Rode a closer to the playoffs? I didn't know a closer had the ability to get a team the lead to be able to save...

Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #513
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Rode a closer to the playoffs? I didn't know a closer had the ability to get a team the lead to be able to save...

No, but he does have to be able to preserve that lead, which is something the rest of the bullpen proved spectacularly unable to do in the two months before I got the job.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #514
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

So, I finally tore myself away from my RTTS careers (I have one as a LF and one as a pitcher) to try franchise. I know there are some issues still post patch, but this franchise mode (I never touched it in 09) seems incredibly deep. Took me a few minutes just to decide which advertisers I wanted to go with, who I wanted to promote in the media campaigns, etc.

Oh yeah, Roy Halliday is extremely nasty in this game - then again we are opening against the Nationals.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #515
markprior22
High School Varsity

According to OS, a 3rd patch was released this morning for MLB 10.

Edit-Upon further inspection, it looks like a nasty bug has been produced that allows run to score from 3B with 2 outs on a ground ball. Might want to look over the thread on Op. Sports and decide whether you want this update or not.

Last edited by markprior22 : 05-18-2010 at 12:54 PM.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #516
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS PATCH.

There's an issue with the patch. Gameplay is affected on a fundamental level.

If a runner is on 3rd with two outs in the inning, and the batter grounds out, or flies out, when the runner crosses the plate, the run still counts. This is true on all game modes, regardless of whether you're a pitcher or hitter.

SCEA is working on a fix, but for now, do not download this patch.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #517
SackAttack
Head Coach

I also noticed that a handful of the claimed fixes in the third patch were also claimed fixed in the second.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #518
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I also noticed that a handful of the claimed fixes in the third patch were also claimed fixed in the second.

I think it's a complete list, I saw the same thing.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #519
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If a runner is on 3rd with two outs in the inning, and the batter grounds out, or flies out, when the runner crosses the plate, the run still counts. This is true on all game modes, regardless of whether you're a pitcher or hitter.

Oh dear. How did that one get by the testers?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #520
SackAttack
Head Coach

Because it worked properly before, and they were testing to make sure of what the patch fixed, not looking for anything new it broke.

That's my guess.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #521
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Because it worked properly before, and they were testing to make sure of what the patch fixed, not looking for anything new it broke.

That's my guess.

Welcome to the life of a tester. It happens far too often.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #522
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

By the way...this bug was fixed yesterday or the day before. No issues anymore.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #523
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

What's up with fielding controls? Everything is reversed from last year and changing the option doesn't fix it. For instance, square throws to first for some retarded reason.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #524
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quick question... I have a hankering for a baseball game. I haven't really played since like, Triple Play or something for the PsOne. I played Power Pros or whatever that was called for the PS2 for a bit a few years ago though.

I'm wondering what game you recommend getting: The Show 09, or The Show 10? I followed this thread early on and it seemed like The Show 10 was kinda bleh.

Thanks in advance!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #525
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Quick question... I have a hankering for a baseball game. I haven't really played since like, Triple Play or something for the PsOne. I played Power Pros or whatever that was called for the PS2 for a bit a few years ago though.

I'm wondering what game you recommend getting: The Show 09, or The Show 10? I followed this thread early on and it seemed like The Show 10 was kinda bleh.

Thanks in advance!

If you don't have the 09 version of the show already, I'd go with the 10 version. It's not a huge jump from 09 which is part of the bleh impression, but it is better in noticable ways to me having played both. Most important advance for me is the ability to have pitching on All-Star level and hitting on veteran level (which is lower.) There are plenty of other good changes as well.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #526
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, for those that play the "control only one guy" mode (Road to the Show I think)... is it challenging to actually make it to the pros? I onyl ask because in NHL 09 (last sports game I played), I liked the Be a Pro mode except that I made it to the NHL after something like 10 games... and after a few games in the NHL, I was on the top D-men pairing.

Is it harder in this game?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #527
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Ok, for those that play the "control only one guy" mode (Road to the Show I think)... is it challenging to actually make it to the pros? I onyl ask because in NHL 09 (last sports game I played), I liked the Be a Pro mode except that I made it to the NHL after something like 10 games... and after a few games in the NHL, I was on the top D-men pairing.

If you start as an 18 year old kid, it'll take you 2-3 years to make the big leagues.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #528
Icy
Pro Starter

Yeah it's hard, 2 seasons minimum to reach the pros unless you play in a difficulty level too easy for you.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #529
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #530
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is that catcher mode fun to play with, or would people rather just be the pitcher?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #531
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is that catcher mode fun to play with, or would people rather just be the pitcher?

My favorite positions in order: P, LF (power hitting), CF (speed first), SS.

Starting pitching is a blast in RTTS despite a few flaws (mainly with the goals.)
Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #532
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'll echo everything that EF27 is saying, right down to the preferred positions (oddly enough).
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #533
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, so I got it and went through the four practice modes... is RttS' base running supposed to be so impossible? I was using Crawford and with an average lead off and Good or OK jumps, I've been out about 20 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #534
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, so I got it and went through the four practice modes... is RttS' base running supposed to be so impossible? I was using Crawford and with an average lead off and Good or OK jumps, I've been out about 20 times.

There are some very good sliders on OS. I don't recall them all of the top of my head, but I know that I have fielder's arm strength lowered 2 clicks.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #535
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not really. Stats don't matter, it's all about your goals. So you'll be taking over for Albert Pujols in the Cardinals lineup if you're hitting .150 in AAA as long as you pass your goals.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #536
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

LOL...I bought this game last night and proceeded to stay up until 3am (also have a sick four year old who was having a hard time getting to sleep...that's my story, at least!!) saying, OK, only one more game!! Very addictive.

I ended up starting a RTTS journey and decided to try things out as a 2B. I didn't really do much practicing prior to getting started but I did drop the hitting down to "rookie" because I really didn't want to start to try to figure out how to hit using the entire controller (I'm 35, I grew with Atari...one friggin' button...give me a break!!!) just yet. So far, so good...lots of ground balls up the middle...fine by me.

MV, with regards to your comment on baserunning...I've been picked off like 5 times already and I'm not even trying to steal!! LOL!! I guess I just have to work on paying much closer attention as well pressing the right damn button when those douchebag pitchers throw it over!!

Lots of fun so far but I don't think I'm ever going to get a walk (despite being somebody who will walk at least once a game in real life baseball) unless I just go up there with no intention of swinging...ever.

Regardless, very fun game.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #537
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks I'll check out sliders.

I find pitching to be alright, no complaints there. I'm really crappy at hitting though. I'm on the default veteran setting. Do you guys use that yellow circle? I find I'm horrible at even figuring out if a pitch will be very far out of the strike zone.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #538
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
LOL...I bought this game last night and proceeded to stay up until 3am (also have a sick four year old who was having a hard time getting to sleep...that's my story, at least!!) saying, OK, only one more game!! Very addictive.

I ended up starting a RTTS journey and decided to try things out as a 2B. I didn't really do much practicing prior to getting started but I did drop the hitting down to "rookie" because I really didn't want to start to try to figure out how to hit using the entire controller (I'm 35, I grew with Atari...one friggin' button...give me a break!!!) just yet. So far, so good...lots of ground balls up the middle...fine by me.

MV, with regards to your comment on baserunning...I've been picked off like 5 times already and I'm not even trying to steal!! LOL!! I guess I just have to work on paying much closer attention as well pressing the right damn button when those douchebag pitchers throw it over!!

Lots of fun so far but I don't think I'm ever going to get a walk (despite being somebody who will walk at least once a game in real life baseball) unless I just go up there with no intention of swinging...ever.

Regardless, very fun game.

lol yeah, when they do a pick-off attempt, half the time my guy just stands there or starts stealing a base because I'm looking for any movement at all to take off.

I also found the fielding kind of weird. Do there really have to be two sets of buttons to throw to bases? I need to study to memorize those.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #539
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'll try out the "Perfect" sliders from OS and see how that goes.

I only played 4 innings of an actual game, but there were a couple of things that were cool.

First, one of my pitches almost hit a batter and when he got out a couple pitches later, the walk back to the dug out was stopped so he could exchange words with my pitcher. The commentators acknowledged it too.

Second, Gordon Beckham from the White Sox was up to bat, and you could hear a fan yell "hit it like Beckham!" That made me chuckle (play on Bend it like Beckham).
Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #540
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dear Sony: if you have time to implement 3D in this game, you have time to fix the broken shit that's been around for at least two or three versions first.

Love and kisses,

Josh
Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #541
MikeVic
Head Coach

So since I'm OK with pitching, I started a reliever named Rick Vaughn (and yes I gave him Joan Jett's version of Wild Thing as his entrance music).

I ended up going 2 2/3 innings in relief, giving up one unearned run on an errant throw by our 2B/SS, and getting the loss. It's not my fault!!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #542
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Anybody else run in the FA glitch yet? In 2013 or 2014 all of the best players in the league get stuck in the free agent pool because every team blows their load on young pitchers. I'm in 2016 of my RTTS and Pujols, Weiters, Lincecum, etc are all FA's at mid-season. In fact the first 3 pages of FA's are all guys rated 95+ overall. It's really weird, and kind of makes me wish I didn't delete my MLB 09 RTTS careers. Sigh...

I'm in my contract year, and after next year I'll be eligible for Free Agency. I'm almost afraid of becoming a Free Agent and not getting a single offer.

*edit*

I just re-checked and I guess I didn't delete my old RTTS files. I deleted all of the old saves, but not the most recent save. w00t! In 2022 with my SP and 2017 with my 3B. *wipes sweat*

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-14-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #543
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

That's crappy news but I'm still only a couple of months into my 2B RTTS so hopefully that crap will be ironed out by the time I get that far along.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #544
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's crappy news but I'm still only a couple of months into my 2B RTTS so hopefully that crap will be ironed out by the time I get that far along.

Unfortunately SCEA wont be releasing any more patches patches. From what I've read at OS it sounds like the temporary fix is to age all of the young A potential pitchers to 45 so they retire immediately. That only works for a little while though, as the game generates several more A potential pitchers in a just a few years through the draft. Bummer, but as long as it doesn't directly effect the RTTS FA signing you should be fine.

So yeah, no matter what man, this *will* happen in your RTTS. Apparently it's a bug that they never got around to fixing.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-14-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #545
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Hmmm...might be a good idea to trade in this year's version for last year's then?
Old 06-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #546
MikeVic
Head Coach

So I can't hit. I tried new sliders from the OS forums that got good reviews I think... I started a career as a CF (Willie Hayes), and although I can steal OK now, my hitting is beyond horrible. I've been traded already, from the Jays to the Giants... and Barry Zito was involved in the trade. I think I'm doomed. I also think I'm hitting something like .125 with 3 RBIs (all sac flies). I might have to move down to Rookie hitting.

My CP Rick Vaughn is doing good, but he's still listed as 4/4 in the organization and 30/30 in the league! But I'm something like 18/18 in saves with a 1.50 ERA. I'm guessing it goes by ratings, since my crappy hitting CF is something like 3/5 in the Giants organization.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #547
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmmm...might be a good idea to trade in this year's version for last year's then?

Hard to say man. I'm going to have to sim through the end of my 6th pro year to see if I get any FA offers. I'll do that tonight and let you know in the next 48 hours.

Quote:
So I can't hit. I tried new sliders from the OS forums that got good reviews I think... I started a career as a CF (Willie Hayes), and although I can steal OK now, my hitting is beyond horrible. I've been traded already, from the Jays to the Giants... and Barry Zito was involved in the trade. I think I'm doomed. I also think I'm hitting something like .125 with 3 RBIs (all sac flies). I might have to move down to Rookie hitting.

My CP Rick Vaughn is doing good, but he's still listed as 4/4 in the organization and 30/30 in the league! But I'm something like 18/18 in saves with a 1.50 ERA. I'm guessing it goes by ratings, since my crappy hitting CF is something like 3/5 in the Giants organization.

As far as hitting goes, you striking out a lot? Are you using guess pitch/location at all? I use both guess pitch and location, and typically guess either a high or low fastball. Sometimes if I really think I've got a pitcher down I'll guess something else, otherwise I stick with the basics. The best advice I can give to you for hitting is to be patient and not try to hit for power until you've developed your skills. It took me 4 years to get to the bigs in both 09 and 10, but once I got there I did pretty well for myself. Last year (my 3rd professional year) I hit .292 with 29 dingers and 74 RBI.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #548
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Hard to say man. I'm going to have to sim through the end of my 6th pro year to see if I get any FA offers. I'll do that tonight and let you know in the next 48 hours.

As far as hitting goes, you striking out a lot? Are you using guess pitch/location at all? I use both guess pitch and location, and typically guess either a high or low fastball. Sometimes if I really think I've got a pitcher down I'll guess something else, otherwise I stick with the basics. The best advice I can give to you for hitting is to be patient and not try to hit for power until you've developed your skills. It took me 4 years to get to the bigs in both 09 and 10, but once I got there I did pretty well for myself. Last year (my 3rd professional year) I hit .292 with 29 dingers and 74 RBI.

I strike out a ton. I can't figure out where a pitch will be. I even swing at pitches way outside the strike zone. I use 1/4 classic guess pitch, and guess both the type and location. Maybe I need to stick to just guessing high/low fastballs. But I think even if I know it'll be high, I'll still swing if it's way out of the zone.

I don't use that plate coverage indicator though.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #549
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have to say though, even with being a crappy hitter, the game tries to make me involved. I come in as a pinch runner a lot since I don't start, and I once came in during the bottom of the 9th on first base with two outs and another runner on third. The 3rd-base coach told me to steal, so I take off on the first pitch. The catcher overthrows the 2B trying to get me out, and the runner on third scores the winning run.

Yeah, the catcher probably should've just let me steal 2nd in that situation, but it was still cool.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #550
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I know exactly how you feel! As far as swinging at pitches out of the zone, you may want to take a real life approach. Don't swing until the guy throws a strike, no matter what. You may also want to spend some time in batting practice outside of your RTTS guy. Pick a crappy hitter to go in with, someone with the same type of ratings as your minors kid, and just watch a bunch of pitches. Get use to the trajectory of each one. Like I said before, the best advice I can give you at the plate is to just be patient. It takes a long time. I've had a couple years hitting below the mendoza line in the minors before...it just takes time.