Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2003, 05:43 PM   #501
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cards4ever
Isn't the best thing for hockey is it to grow? If it turns more people on to hockey, isn't it good for teams in other areas to advance? Or, don't you care about making hockey more popular?

You could argue that, despite all the expansion and 'growth' of the league in the past decade, it is hardly more popular than it was before. Alienating your core fan base is not a good way to make things more popular IMO.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #502
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
...much like Americans don't want anyone screwing with their Sunday afternoon traditions or Monday nights for that matter. [/b]

Exactly. Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night has been on TV since 1952, and radio since 1933, a tradition a bit longer than Monday Night Football. Yet, I'm sure football fans would be pissed if a network exec decided to uproot MNF for Monday afternoon.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:06 PM   #503
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I like teams because of how they play, or certain players, not where they come from. I also hate teams for the same reason. Do you remember when people cheered against the Jays because they were from Canada? Didn't you think that was ridiculous?

I didn't find it unreasonable or ridiculous. Quite the opposite in fact. There will always be a national rivalry.

If a Canadian-based NHL team with 20 Europeans was playing an American-based NHL team with 20 Canadians, I'd still be cheering for the Canadian-based team.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:13 PM   #504
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Isn't the best thing for hockey is it to grow? If it turns more people on to hockey, isn't it good for teams in other areas to advance? Or, don't you care about making hockey more popular? [/b]

The assumption is that the ABC scheduling of the playoffs is actually with an intention to "grow the sport". I think bbor has already demonstrated this isn't the case. Ratings are hurting all the way around because of these decisions and frankly ABC doesn't really care.

The shuffling off of the games to afternoons, delayed starts, simultaneous games followed by none the next night, are clear indications to me ABC is not interested in doing anything but lowering the price they'll pay for any additional broadcast rights.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:10 PM   #505
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Karim
are clear indications to me ABC is not interested in doing anything but lowering the price they'll pay for any additional broadcast rights.

Great point...i never even thought of that

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 09:16 PM   #506
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Isn't the best thing for hockey is it to grow?
I'll take what may be an extreme position: no, that wouldn't be the best thing. Given how much the league has "grown" in the last decade, and the disastrous results (watered down talent, terrible entertainment value, plummeting interest in multiple markets, spiralling salaries, etc), further growth may be the worst outcome.

I love hockey, and I can't imagine going without it for a season or more. But if that's what it takes to fix the NHL, I'm for it. If there's a lengthy lockout and four, six, even eight teams die because of it, I think that may not be a bad thing.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 09:37 PM   #507
tucker342
Pro Starter

Minnesota up two to nothing with 5:00 left in the second period...

GO WILD!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:05 PM   #508
bbor
Pro Starter

ML...i think Cards was refering to the nhl growing in fan base.Not growing as in adding more teams.

BTW....I think the Nucks may be done.Minny has all the confidence.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:29 PM   #509
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I was not referring to adding more teams, I was referring to the fan base.

I think that you guys think that hockey is exclusive to Canada and should revolve around that country, and anything I say isn't going to change your mind.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:10 AM   #510
bbor
Pro Starter

Svehla retired(again)

Let the Hatcher sweepstakes begin.If the Leafs lose out on him they are fucked.

Calle Johansson will be 2nd prize.

HB....how you feel bout the wings letting Robitaille go?

Old 05-08-2003, 03:14 AM   #511
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Eh, I think he time here was done. He was a class act and was solid in 2002. The first half. From a little past the midway point of 2002, throughout the 2002 playoffs, and all of this year's regular season he did pretty much squat. 11 goals all year? 11? Lucky Luc is a goal scorer. If he's not scoring, he's really not adding much. That being said, he did have a decent playoffs. All... four.... games of it.

His playing time was also severely diminished. He was a 4th liner and, even at his advanced age, deserves more. Also, it's tough paying a 4th line winger $4 million a year. The Wings lost a lot of money because they didn't advance. Cuts needed to be made. They will also have to try and sign Fedorov to a big deal. So freeing up the cash will be benefit there as well.

The Wings have some decent talent that is younger and cheaper. Jason Williams will likely take his spot and would have to clear waivers next year. Devereaux may benefit from more ice time. In addition there are Grigrorenko and Hulder playing in Europe who could (very slim chance) play in the NHL next year.

Luc came in. Won his Cup. And it's time to move on. No hard feelings. Wish him the best of luck.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:15 AM   #512
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

BTW....I think the Nucks may be done.Minny has all the confidence.

Cloutier... crumbling... Mental soundness... breaking... up...

She can't take much more, Captain!
Old 05-08-2003, 07:59 AM   #513
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Svehla retired(again)

Let the Hatcher sweepstakes begin.If the Leafs lose out on him they are fucked.

Calle Johansson will be 2nd prize.

I don't think Hatcher is going anyplace.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:20 AM   #514
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't think Hatcher is going anyplace.

I agree. I would be hard pressed to see big Hatch go elsewhere. Dallas should have the financial means to keep the big palooka. He's their captain, has had a stellar year, and pretty intergral to their succcess.

Though, after the year he's had, he has every right to go out there and seek Bobby Holik type money. He's what every team wants, the big, mean, crease-clearing defenseman. If Dallas is financially strapped after the last few years of free agent madness, I guess it could be possible that another team may swoop in and offer Hatch the mother lode.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:27 AM   #515
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

He should go back to where he started his career!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:19 AM   #516
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
He should go back to where he started his career!

I reckon that would be pee-wee hockey somewhere in Dearborn, Michigan. That's a suburb of Detroit. If we can accept Chelios, we can accept (almost) anyone. Hometown boy done good and all...
Old 05-08-2003, 09:30 AM   #517
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Way to go Wild!

As far as the Hatcher situation, here is part of an interview he recently did with the Hockey Digest. I nicked this from Andrews Dallas Stars page:

Quote:

Hatcher interview

Stars captain Derian Hatcher, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, is the interview subject in the latest issue of the the Hockey Digest. Here are a few highlights of what he had to say.

On whether he is ready to test the free agent market this summer

"I have mentally prepared myself for it. If things don't work out, I will move on somewhere else. I would like to have a contract in place right now, but obviously it's not there."

"Family is the biggest thing. Dallas is a great place to play and live. I have been here one third of my life and all four of my kids have been born here. None of us want to leave. But on the other hand we will have to be prepared to leave."

On whether he thinks he will command $10 million/year like Nicklas Lidstrom or Chris Pronger

"Probably not. To be honest I don't think I ever will be paid like them until I put up more offensive numbers. That's the way things are in the league. I will be paid handsomely."

On his style of play and his reputation as being a feared player

"I am a hard-hitting and physical player. I find through the years the more people talk about it, the more other players know you are on the ice. It actually helps you. If's definitely a good reputation to have. Players really know you are on the ice and they have their heads up a little more. Believe it or not, I know some players are probably afraid to go in the corner."

So I think he's pretty sure he's going to be in the market for $5-$6 million. He was making about $4 million per year (I think). Hopefully, he'll stay here, but if he does that could mean that Sydor and/or Matvichuk are going to be avaliable. I hope not, but them's the rumors.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:45 AM   #518
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
I reckon that would be pee-wee hockey somewhere in Dearborn, Michigan. That's a suburb of Detroit. If we can accept Chelios, we can accept (almost) anyone. Hometown boy done good and all...

I was thinking along the lines of his pro career!
Old 05-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #519
bbor
Pro Starter

The Leafs are in such a defensive crunch i could see them ponying up 6-7 mil for Hatcher.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:38 PM   #520
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The Leafs are in such a defensive crunch i could see them ponying up 6-7 mil for Hatcher.
I see him getting $8M. He's the only big name available at a position of need for many teams. The expiring CBA could hurt him, but I'd still expect a big payday.

Assuming of course he even makes it to free agency, which I doubt.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:58 PM   #521
bbor
Pro Starter

How you feel about Johansson ML?

Old 05-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #522
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Hasn't Johansson ran the PP in Washington? Is that what you are looking for? He's getting up there, he's 36.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:40 PM   #523
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
How you feel about Johansson ML?
Calle Johansson? He's solid, but no more than a #3 or #4 guy. He could help the Leafs and would make a decent plan B or C, but he's not a guy who'll have a major impact. The Leafs need a #1 guy, and there aren't many available.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:56 PM   #524
bbor
Pro Starter

They need a 3/4 guy as well as a #1 guy IMHO

Mccabe-Kaberle-Berg Will all be back

Housley-gone
Lumme-Gone(?)
Wesley-????
Coliacovo-??
Jackman-7 or 8th at best

If wesley stays they will prolly just try and sign Johansson and try to get away with that.

If Wesley goes back to Carolina(which is most likely) i think they have no ther choice but to get Hatcher...or dangle Coliacovo out as trade bait for a top 2 D-man

Old 05-08-2003, 03:14 PM   #525
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
They need a 3/4 guy as well as a #1 guy IMHO
The problem right now is they have lots of #3/4 guys. Kaberle is probably a #2. McCabe is no better #3 after taking a step back this year. Wesley, if they resign him, is probably a #3/#4 guy at best. Berg is a #4/#5. Even Svehla if he comes back is a #2/#3.

Now that said, the 92-93 Leafs had one of the best defenses I've seen, and none of those guys were better than a #3. They were just a group of five rock-solid guys who knew what to do, so maybe you can get away without a #1 if everyone knows their job.

By the way, I haven't seen any reports confirming Svehla's retirement. Have you?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:25 PM   #526
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Can anyone point me to a list of FA's?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:46 PM   #527
bbor
Pro Starter

Svehla announced his retirement from the NHL yesterday.But he is still gonna play in his hometown.

It was on most of the major sports stations yesterday.

Can't help ya with the FA list Cards...perhaps on NHL.com?

Old 05-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #528
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Couldn't find one there.

I figure the Wild with all this playoff money should splash out for a scorer next year and I want to help shop!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #529
tucker342
Pro Starter

The game last night was awesome! GO WILD!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:48 PM   #530
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's starting to look more and more like Cloutier is French-Vancouverian for "sieve".

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-08-2003 at 05:48 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #531
tucker342
Pro Starter

1-0 Vancouver

8:30 left in the second period...
Old 05-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #532
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

2-1 late in the second. Interesting line change for Vancouver, moving Bertuzzi with the Sedin's
Old 05-08-2003, 10:44 PM   #533
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
It's starting to look more and more like Cloutier is French-Vancouverian for "sieve".

SI

ROTF!!

Old 05-08-2003, 10:53 PM   #534
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

1 period left to go, I'm thinking OT
Old 05-08-2003, 11:09 PM   #535
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
1 period left to go, I'm thinking OT

That would be great, but do you think your nerves could handle it?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:14 PM   #536
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

2-2 about halfway through, Walz scores
Old 05-08-2003, 11:28 PM   #537
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

3-2 5:12 left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hendrickson for Minnesota!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #538
Travis
Pro Rookie

Holy Canuck collapse Batman! Never would have thought the Wild had a chance down 3 games to 1, then down 2-0 in Game 7, but these guys are just amazing.

Well that and Cloutier.......oh buddy, give Roman a call if your boys don't bail you out and come back to win this one.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #539
bbor
Pro Starter

What a brutal goal.Cloutier should be ashamed of himself.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:31 PM   #540
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Bertuzzi just took a stupid penalty
Old 05-08-2003, 11:31 PM   #541
Travis
Pro Rookie

Guess all the ability in the world doesn't stop you from being a cheap shot artist too. Oh Bertuzzi, the only thing stopping me from hoping the Canucks win the Cup.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:31 PM   #542
bbor
Pro Starter

Stupid penalty....Nucks are losing their composure now.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #543
Travis
Pro Rookie

Done and done
Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #544
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 PM   #545
bbor
Pro Starter

over

Old 05-08-2003, 11:36 PM   #546
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

All of this with Gaborik not playing much, incredible
Old 05-08-2003, 11:41 PM   #547
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Minnesota makes History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:42 PM   #548
bbor
Pro Starter

What a choke

Old 05-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #549
Travis
Pro Rookie

Okay, now then, who wins the West? A tired Wild coming off back to back 3-1 series deficits, or a rested Ducks team with the hottest goalie in the playoffs, but little to no scoring?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:49 PM   #550
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Who knows, should be interesting. Anaheim handled the Wild during the season, and who would bet against JSG right now.