Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #501
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Perhaps. But with Orton as a QB tonight, the Bears win that game.

+1
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #502
remper
Mascot

Obviously Cutler and the WRs are still not on the same page. But Desmond Clark, among others in the receiving corp just looked lost out there. The offensive line didn't help a whole lot either. I don't blame Cutler completely. This first season could be rough, but I expect great things from Cutler... later.

Orton may not have thrown those picks because he would've been getting sacked. Cutler was running for his life most of the time, but showed presence enough to know when to get out of the pocket. Which was most of the time.

Also, you got to love the INT that Jolly made at the goal line.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #503
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Cutler is doing exactly as I predicted. He is trying to force things that arent there. Did you guys see the throw he tried to force it in between 4 Green Bay defenders? He is lucky he didnt get picked 6-7 times. The positive spin for Bears fans is that your defense looks tenacious and Hester could be a huge threat if they get him into the gameplan better. I guess the other positive spin is Orton looked like complete crap for Denver today as well.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #504
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Perhaps. But with Orton as a QB tonight, the Bears win that game.
I don't see how. Orton looked almost as bad as Cutler today and Cutler was playing a tougher team.

However, I can't rule out that right now both the Broncos and Bears would be better off right had the trade not taken place.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #505
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I don't see how. Orton looked almost as bad as Cutler today and Cutler was playing a tougher team.

However, I can't rule out that right now both the Broncos and Bears would be better off right had the trade not taken place.
The interceptiosn cost the Bears the game. Orton was more careful with the ball and would not have turned it over that many times. Orton won't win you many games at all, but he won't lose you games like Cutler did tonight.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #506
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Cutler wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination tonight, but his receivers were just plain terrible. They got manhandled and outclassed by (admittedly decent) DBs. You had young kids like Knox and that guy from Vanderbilt getting thrown around, and Cutler was throwing to places where the WRs should have been. Then, you had that miracle INT by Jolly on the screen pass. That was just a combination of blind luck and great reaction by a DT. 9 times out of 10 that INT doesn't happen.

I think Jay Cutler is kind of a jackass, and I think he played poorly, but I watched Shaun Hill play for my Niners just hours earlier, and make the same boneheaded throws, but wind up with a victory.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #507
RainMaker
General Manager

Shaun Hill didn't make mistakes. If your defense plays well, you don't need big numbers from your QB. Turnovers kill in this league and a guy like Shaun Hill wins the game tonight against the Packers despite his lack of talent. When your defense is dominating the other team, you just can't continue to take those kind of risks.

Bears receivers are bad, but they do have a top tier running back and some solid tight ends. Even though you could blame a pick or two on someone else, Cutler was throwing inaccurately all night to his receivers. Lot of passes behind guys and a key miss in the end zone in the 4th quarter.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-14-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #508
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Turnovers kill in this league and a guy like Shaun Hill wins the game tonight against the Packers despite his lack of talent.

No way Hill beats the Packers. Hill will look just as bad as Cutler when they play GB later in the year.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #509
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I'd say he's Jake Plummer. No RB, WR or QB is ever as good as Mike Shanahan makes you look. I expect Cutler this year statistically to look a lot like Plummer during his Arizona years.

I agree with this assessment completely. As a Broncos fan I was always confused by the big pressure to get Cutler in as the starter in his rookie year. The Broncos were a decent team that year, and as far as I could tell then, and still feel now, Cutler is basically a younger version of Plummer. So to me it never made sense to pull out the experienced version of that guy when you were trying to make a playoff push.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #510
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Catching up this morning, but I agree with this point from Peter King:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMQB
DeSean Jackson, WR/PR, Philadelphia. Jackson's the luckiest man on the face of the earth, Week 1 version. He broke open the Eagles-Panthers game with an 85-yard punt-return for touchdown in the second quarter at Charlotte, and he was barely touched on it. But one of the reasons he was barely touched was a how-did-they-miss-it illegal-block-in-the-back by Philly's Chris Clemons as the return just got up and running. The return, up the left side on an otherwise well-blocked play, gave Philadelphia a 17-7 lead, and the Eagles basically just grinded out the win from there.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0R5Y8t6Id

This is not a gripe on the officials or how they controlled the game or anything like that (they miss illegal blocks all the times on special teams, and we let it slide except during debates about how good returners are), but rather a gripe about the announcers. On the replay this is a clear shove in the back, and the player he blocked went flying on his stomach down the field. The announcers praised the Eagles for avoiding clips on the play, even circling this one as well as two others (which were blocks from the side and correct). How can you sit there and circle the guy when he's clearly shoving his target from the back to the ground? Blindingly obvious yet draws praise from the announcers. Sigh.

And stick a fork in Delhomme, he's done. When you have a good running game, the QB is there not to screw up. That's not Delhomme anymore. He hasn't been the "snatch victory from the jaws of defeat" QB he started out as for a few years, but he at least was managing his mistakes, only screwing up a couple of times a year. But this is now officially brutal.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #511
remper
Mascot

Quote:
Shaun Hill didn't make mistakes. If your defense plays well, you don't need big numbers from your QB. Turnovers kill in this league and a guy like Shaun Hill wins the game tonight against the Packers despite his lack of talent. When your defense is dominating the other team, you just can't continue to take those kind of risks.

Bears receivers are bad, but they do have a top tier running back and some solid tight ends. Even though you could blame a pick or two on someone else, Cutler was throwing inaccurately all night to his receivers. Lot of passes behind guys and a key miss in the end zone in the 4th quarter.

I am by no means going to be an apologist for Cutler. But that "top tier" running back didn't do shit last night. And much like Cutler's woes, I don't completely pin that on Forte. He had nowhere to go most of the night. The Bears problems this year will likely stem from their offensive line and inexperienced receivers.

Cutler will be better next week against Pittsburgh.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #512
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

pumped for MNF tonight!!!

TOM TERRIFIC RETURNS!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #513
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

That's all nice to say, but the reality is, your QB MUST be able to make strong throws with the game on the line for you to be an elite team. OK, maybe not must. If you have a historically great defense like the Ravens or Tampa Bay, you can get away with a noodle armed QB. The rest of the league can't.

As a Broncos fan, the difference between Cutler and Orton was evident yesterday. Sure, there weren't a lot of mistakes. But 3rd and 8? I had zero confidence Orton could fit the ball into a spot to convert anything over 3rd and 4. As for those great WR in Royal and Marshall? 6 catches for 47 yards. (though Marshall did have a huge drop, if it would have been Cutler he wouldn't have had to adjust his body, he'd have been running for six)

The 49ers and 203 yards of total offense yesterday. Do that 15 more times and they'll finish something like 3-13 or 2-14.

That said, Cutler was horrible last night and no matter how poor his WR core is, he can't do what he did last night. He easily could have been picked off 7 times last night. You just can't do that and win an NFL game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #514
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Word is Urlacher is out for the season.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #515
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Cutler looked bad. Real bad. Four picks, but lots of very bad throws that didn't get intercepted. I can't say that I watched much of Cutler when he was with Denver, but when did he get happy feet? If this is what we get for the rest of the year then it's just Bad Rex all over again. Where were the checkdowns? Was Bennett the only receiver he was looking for? Bennett couldn't crack the lineup last year on a team with no receivers. So all of a sudden he's Jerry Rice?

Even worse are the receivers. Completely terrible. Can they run a route? And I still can't stand Ron Turner. He wants to show off his new toy, so instead of trying a balanced offense early let's just throw, throw, throw. What kind of pics do the Turner boys have on someone that lets them stay in the league?

And Lovie gets outcoached (what new) on the long touchdown pass. Eight in the box trying to stuff the run and leaving Nate "Toast" Vasher out on an island. Cowher would be great here, but that's not going to happen with two years left on the Lovebug's contract and with Cowher going to demand a high price. And let's not tackle in practice so guys don't get hurt. Another great Lovebizarre philosophy. So they can't tackle in real games (again, what new) and they still wind up getting hurt. Pathetic.

Sorry for the rant. I had fairly high expectations.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #516
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well, excuse me sir, but now I have to believe you didn't even watch the 49ers/Cardinals game, and are therefore talking out of your ass, or you just don't really know what you're watching.

Shaun Hill made both terrible throws, and terrible decisions. He was lucky that none of them were picked. He carelessly threw into triple coverage on more than one occaision, and threw grounders to receivers, even on safety valve routes that required nothing more than a below-average throw.

Now, is Shaun Hill the best option for the 49ers right now? No question. He won the game. To say Shaun Hill didn't make mistakes is insane and ridiculous.

The Bears top tier running back didn't do shit last night. I don't care what "tier" he's on. If he gains 55 yards in 25 carries, that doesn't exactly open up the passing game.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #517
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
I am by no means going to be an apologist for Cutler. But that "top tier" running back didn't do shit last night. And much like Cutler's woes, I don't completely pin that on Forte. He had nowhere to go most of the night. The Bears problems this year will likely stem from their offensive line and inexperienced receivers.

Cutler will be better next week against Pittsburgh.

Whoops...looks like you covered it before I did. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #518
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As usual, I blame the Bears' failure on Ron Turner, though Cutler didn't help much (especially in the first half). Just some really terrible playcalling that put the team in a lousy position. And not working Forte in earlier was pointless. Honestly, the way GB was blitzing they could have done a few screens to Forte and gobbled up a ton of yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

For a wrist injury? Woah....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #519
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Huddle Up: Brian Urlacher likely out for the season with wrist injury

That's what the Chicago Tribune is saying, dislocated wrist, surgery to see what other damage is done
Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #520
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Packers were a little sloppy (esp on offense), so it was nice to still get a win. It would have been ridiculous if GB would have lost because of that completely manufactured illegal contact play on 3rd and 5. I don't care who that ref was, but he should get a major mark against him for making that call. Even if it had been 6 yards, that's an insignificant play that could have swung the game on a key 3rd down stop. Also, what's with the line judge staring at the WR closest to him 1 yard behind the LOS and not calling illegal formation?

So much for home cooking refs
Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #521
DataKing
Pro Rookie

One game does not a season make. Yes, Cutler and the WRs looked like ass. Yes, the offensive playcalling was crap. Yes, Urlacher is likely done for the year. But I'm still not going out on the ledge just yet. A few observations:

1. The Bears D-Line played really well. We're already seeing the Marinelli effect.
2. weegeebored nailed it with his Ron Turner comment. Ron wanted to show off his new toy and went pass-heavy, which is just stupid when you've got the inexperienced WR corps the Bears have and you're up against the best CB-tandem in the division. But one thing Ron Turner is not is overly-stubborn.
3. I was really impressed with the job the Packers D did. They've transitioned from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with largely the same personnel and it looked like they'd been running that defense for 5 years. Props to Capers for a job well done.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #522
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So how sick is this.

My wife is in Boston for business and had an opportunity to to not only go to the game tonight, but go and be a guest in the Gillette luxury box. She is in sales and works with Gillette and the customer she is selling to has a policy of not taking any gifts from salespeople, so she can't go.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #523
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So how sick is this.

My wife is in Boston for business and had an opportunity to to not only go to the game tonight, but go and be a guest in the Gillette luxury box. She is in sales and works with Gillette and the customer she is selling to has a policy of not taking any gifts from salespeople, so she can't go.

I'll buy a new gillette razor or something.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #524
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The offense has been bad for 2+ seasons now. They aren't going to be in the top half by the end of the year and the way Collins and Benson block Palmer won't play all sixteen. The defense looked good, but this team won't win eight games.

I understand the hope that they'll be better this year, God how I understand, but this is a game they have to win and they couldn't, not because of a fluke play, but because the offense is terrible. Just wait until they play a good team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It's funny listening to you RenderR. Lucky than good? That really explains both teams. Both teams suck. Both teams were lucky to be playing the other team or they'd have been destroyed.

Cincy had 24 yards total offense on their first 4 possessions of the second half. Denver begged them to take the game and they couldn't do it. It was a lucky, fluke play that allowed Denver to win the game. Neither team needs to worry about setting up playoff plans. Both team suck hard.

Maybe this was covered later in the thread, but I have to +1 these as a Bengal fan. Score more than 7 fucking points, maybe some outside the last minute, and you don't have to sweat some stupid fluke play ruining your tiny lead. There is no reason the Bengals should've scored only 7 points in this game. They pretty much had the ball in the Denver half for much of the game. Both the Broncs and the Bengals are going to have serious trouble this year if this is how they are going to be on both sides of the ball.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #525
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
1. The Bears D-Line played really well. We're already seeing the Marinelli effect.

Hrmm... Based on my experience the "Marinelli effect" is sort of the exact opposite of what you describe. Interesting.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #526
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Hrmm... Based on my experience the "Marinelli effect" is sort of the exact opposite of what you describe. Interesting.

Marinelli seems to be an excellent d-line coach who has utterly no business being a head coach.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #527
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Don't worry Bears' fans last night will be a long, distant memory when Cutler throws 4-5 TDs against the Lions in 3 weeks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #528
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't worry Bears' fans last night will be a long, distant memory when Cutler throws 4-5 TDs against the Lions in 3 weeks.

I wouldn't say distant considering Ron Turner and the Bears amazing set of receivers get Pittsburgh next week.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #529
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So how sick is this.

what - you didn't text her my phone number?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #530
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
what - you didn't text her my phone number?

pretty sure she wouldn't be able to have guests
Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #531
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah. Meanwhile if they play the same way as yesterday they are 0-3 when they get there.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #532
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Yeah. Meanwhile if they play the same way as yesterday they are 0-3 when they get there.

I know bad football when I see it better than most, the Bears will be fine. They may start the season 0-2, but could be 6-2 by the mid-point of the season.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #533
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I had stated (not here, but in other conversations) that the Bears could easily start the season 0-2. I expect the Bears, Packers, and Vikings to all win their home games against one another. Everybody gets 2 free wins against the Lions, so all three go 4-2 in the division and it comes down to overall record to see who wins the division.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 09-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #534
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Everybody gets 2 free wins against the Lions

I hope the Lions can take at least one game from one of you bitches... I don't think it will happen, but I hope.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #535
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I take no joy in calling it out...just calling them how I see them.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #536
boberot
High School Varsity

I have an irrational exuberance for tonight's MNF game, even though my Bills are going to be humiliated on national TV.

I've been a pretty avid football fan for the past 25+ years, and just cant remember another team as ill-prepared for the regular season as this one.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #537
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
I've been a pretty avid football fan for the past 25+ years, and just cant remember another team as ill-prepared for the regular season as this one.

I can remember quite few!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #538
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:

Well, you ARE a Lions fan.

boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #539
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't know about the rest of the team, but Jason Campbell look as ill-prepared as you can get yesterday.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #540
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I have an irrational exuberance for tonight's MNF game, even though my Bills are going to be humiliated on national TV.

Im dreading tonight....good thing I am going to be on a plane most of the time.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #541
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I don't know about the rest of the team, but Jason Campbell look as ill-prepared as you can get yesterday.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #542
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I have an odd feeling they might stick around. The last season with Brady, the Pats were at their worst when they played too conservative, and I can see them doing that in Brady's first came back. I'm also not totally sold on on the running game plan of trying to get elite running production by carrying 500 average RBs on the active roster.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #543
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I think he was referring to PROFESSIONAL football teams
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #544
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Well, excuse me sir, but now I have to believe you didn't even watch the 49ers/Cardinals game, and are therefore talking out of your ass, or you just don't really know what you're watching.

Shaun Hill made both terrible throws, and terrible decisions. He was lucky that none of them were picked. He carelessly threw into triple coverage on more than one occaision, and threw grounders to receivers, even on safety valve routes that required nothing more than a below-average throw.

Now, is Shaun Hill the best option for the 49ers right now? No question. He won the game. To say Shaun Hill didn't make mistakes is insane and ridiculous.

The Bears top tier running back didn't do shit last night. I don't care what "tier" he's on. If he gains 55 yards in 25 carries, that doesn't exactly open up the passing game.

The Bears lost that game on Sunday Night because of 4 interceptions. A few of those that directly ended up in Packers points.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #545
Logan
Head Coach

I'd say the Bears lost that game because they sold out against a run on a 3rd and 1 play that never came.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #546
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'd say that one week is a bit soon to determine how good a QB/Team will be throughout the season, but I know that's a radical idea.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #547
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sheesh, is Steve Grogan or Tom Brady starting for the Pats tonight? Those retro unis crack me up.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #548
Arles
Grey Dog Software

BTW, nice move for the Eagles by signing Garcia:

Philadelphia Eagles sign Jeff Garcia as insurance for hurt Donovan McNabb - ESPN
Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #549
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'd say the Bears lost that game because they sold out against a run on a 3rd and 1 play that never came.
They gave up 220 yards to the supposed high powered Packers. They made Rodgers look real bad most of the night and shut down just about everyone. I don't know what you can expect a defense to do and how you can blame it on one play. No defense is perfect and eventually a mistake will be made.

I'd wager a pick in the red zone, one that was taken back to the 1, and another that was taken back to field goal range had a bigger impact. Also the moronic fake punt attempt didn't help.

The defense held a top offense to very little. The offense not only didn't provide anything, they hurt the team.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #550
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Huddle Up: Brian Urlacher likely out for the season with wrist injury

That's what the Chicago Tribune is saying, dislocated wrist, surgery to see what other damage is done
Pretty damaging from a morale standpoint as well as his leadership on the field.

However, the dirty little secret in Chicago is that Urlacher isn't nearly what he was. He's lost a step over the past few years and has never been a good run defender. He's a good linebacker, but he's not a Pro Bowl caliber one anymore. The Bears have some decent depth at the position too.

The Bears success as a defense came from the front 4 over the years. When Tommie Harris was dominating and both ends (Ogunleye and Brown) were getting sacks, it made everyone look real good (got Nathan Vasher a big extension). As long as the front 4 remains healthy and gets pressure like it did last night, the defense will be fine.