Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #501
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I stand by my claim that until he retires, Nick Lidstrom is the best player in the NHL. What a clutch goal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #502
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I stand by my claim that until he retires, Nick Lidstrom is the best player in the NHL. What a clutch goal.

He is phenomenal. Actually, there are a lot of really great players on the ice in this series.

That was an amazingly well played Game One. Disappointed the Ducks lost and gave up that goal at the end, but this is definitely one where the Ducks showed they can win. I know some might say, hey, they beat the Sharks, of course, they can do this, but fact is, the Wings are a whole different monster.

If we can take one of these two games here, that will mean a lot. It won't be easy. Good game to the Wings in Game One.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-01-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #503
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
He is phenomenal. Actually, there are a lot of really great players on the ice in this series.

That was an amazingly well played Game One. Disappointed the Ducks lost and gave up that goal at the end, but this is definitely one where the Ducks showed they can win. I know some might say, hey, they beat the Sharks, of course, they can do this, but fact is, the Wings are a whole different monster.

If we can take one of these two games here, that will mean a lot. It won't be easy. Good game to the Wings in Game One.

That was a great game. Anaheim did not wilt at all. Detroit needs to get some offense out of Dats though. He's doing great on the defensive end but he needs to pick it up on the offensive side.

Lot of physicality in this game, and I suspect it'll get more intense.

That last goal though was on the Anaheim forwards. That was a tough one. Everyone did their jobs but the forwards didn't follow up Lidstrom when he crashed the net.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #504
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That last goal though was on the Anaheim forwards. That was a tough one. Everyone did their jobs but the forwards didn't follow up Lidstrom when he crashed the net.

Sorta. There's no doubt that that puck needed to be cleared out, and that the forwards dropped the "ball" in taking care of that. That said, I don't think it's common for a defensman to have the presence of mind to make a play like that, and if anything, I think the forwards played within the realm of what they usually do, and simply got caught out by a terrific play by a great player.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #505
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Sorta. There's no doubt that that puck needed to be cleared out, and that the forwards dropped the "ball" in taking care of that. That said, I don't think it's common for a defensman to have the presence of mind to make a play like that, and if anything, I think the forwards played within the realm of what they usually do, and simply got caught out by a terrific play by a great player.

Yeah I can see that. It looked like Perry and Getzlaf (I think it was him) couldn't decide between them who to go after Lidstrom and that split second indecision is what gave Lidstrom that second shot.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #506
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wow. Getzlaf played 28 minutes tonight, leading all players. That's insane for a forward but he was a horse out there. I love watching that kid play.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #507
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I can see that. It looked like Perry and Getzlaf (I think it was him) couldn't decide between them who to go after Lidstrom and that split second indecision is what gave Lidstrom that second shot.

Announcers said Perry and Ryan. I guess we know for sure Perry was out there, lol.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #508
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. Getzlaf played 28 minutes tonight, leading all players. That's insane for a forward but he was a horse out there. I love watching that kid play.

Yeah, Getzlaf has actually become a little unsung with the arrival of Ryan. He's just a really terrific player, still so young, but polished, already has a Cup, already a team leader and solid in both ends as well. Perry and Ryan have talent all their own, but they definitely benefit from playing with him.

Man, 28 mins is nuts.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #509
samifan24
Pro Starter

Bruins looked good tonight with a 4-1 win over the Canes. I bet Carolina will be in top form on Sunday night so the Bruins will need to really be prepared.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #510
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am not sure about the call on Mike Brown. Sure, it was a little late, but he caught Hulder admiring his own pass. He didn't go at him with the elbow, it just happens that Hulder is very short.

Exciting game all around. Selanne had a lot of jump in his skates tonight. The Wings top line of Datsyuk-Hossa-Holmstrom didn't generate much. Neither Hossa or Datsyuk did anything special out there, which is pretty rare.

Good to see Ericsson ragdoll Corey Perry.

Should be a very good, tight series.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #511
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Bruins looked good tonight with a 4-1 win over the Canes. I bet Carolina will be in top form on Sunday night so the Bruins will need to really be prepared.

I wish. This is pretty much a continuation of the SOS that they did in the New Jersey series. Problem is, we're now seeing that Boston is a freightload better team than New Jersey and will cash in on mistakes a lot better than the Devils did.

If Carolina is to have any chance, they need to really clamp on defense a lot more and the passing especially has to be crisp and concise especially going over the middle. Boston's shown they'll eat up the cutesy, semi-no-look stuff that doesn't have any pace to it. Too often, it seemed like Carolina players were aiming for a place to pass without any consideration with where their players or the opposing players were and the feasibility of connecting the pass, which resulted in a lot of turnovers.

However, I'm not really expecting much of anything now. I was boiling pretty well as the game went along, but I think it's because I'm now witnessing the beginning of the end and it was just frustrating to me. I'd waited two years to get back into the playoffs and got the thrill of winning the series against New Jersey even as all hope seemed lost, but the Bruins are just a flat-out horrible matchup for us. I'm trying to decide whether I should be happy if we take a game off Boston right now.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #512
Logan
Head Coach

That Lidstrom goal was just weird, seemed like the puck was sitting there forever.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #513
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I wish. This is pretty much a continuation of the SOS that they did in the New Jersey series. Problem is, we're now seeing that Boston is a freightload better team than New Jersey and will cash in on mistakes a lot better than the Devils did.

If Carolina is to have any chance, they need to really clamp on defense a lot more and the passing especially has to be crisp and concise especially going over the middle. Boston's shown they'll eat up the cutesy, semi-no-look stuff that doesn't have any pace to it. Too often, it seemed like Carolina players were aiming for a place to pass without any consideration with where their players or the opposing players were and the feasibility of connecting the pass, which resulted in a lot of turnovers.

However, I'm not really expecting much of anything now. I was boiling pretty well as the game went along, but I think it's because I'm now witnessing the beginning of the end and it was just frustrating to me. I'd waited two years to get back into the playoffs and got the thrill of winning the series against New Jersey even as all hope seemed lost, but the Bruins are just a flat-out horrible matchup for us. I'm trying to decide whether I should be happy if we take a game off Boston right now.

Yeah I think for Carolina to have any chance in this series, Ward will have to continue to play out of his mind and the defense will really have to start throwing bombs in transition and making the games a track meet. The Bruins can already do this and I think it's important for Carolina to counter if they're to really put up a fight in the series.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #514
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm not expecting much from the Canes against Boston. They should have beat New Jersey in less than 7, and Boston is a much better team.

Ironically the troubles they had in New Jersey and are having against Boston were why the fired Laviolette and brought back Maurice. Laviolette played a much more wide open offensive game that left the goalie alone, and Maurice brought back the defensive grit they used to get into the playoffs. But now that the playoffs are here, they are reverting to Laviolette form which is more fun to watch but less likely to bring success.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #515
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I think Lucic really set the tone throughout the game, without going too far (like against MTL). It doesn't appear (and I have very little knowledge of the Whalers) that they really have an answer for him. The B's looked rock solid in game 1, interesting to see how the Whale responds.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 05-02-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #516
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins Notebook: Getting tickets tough call now

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Ted Leonsis, owner of the Washington Capitals, was a pioneer of the concept of blocking telephone ticket orders that originate in specific area codes -- 412, for example -- and his team has added another technical wrinkle to try to keep Penguins fans away from the Capitals' home games.
Joe Ignatius, an Elizabeth Township native and longtime Washington-area resident, is on a Capitals e-mail list, which led to him having an opportunity Thursday to buy a $225 package that included tickets for Game 1 or 2 of the Penguins-Capitals series.
The package also included an all-you-can-eat buffet, unlimited beer, wine and soda, a Capitals hat, a Capitals rally towel and, uh, season tickets to the Washington Mystics of the WNBA.
(And not just any all-you-can-eat buffet, by the way. This one, according to the e-mail, features "Hand Carved Turkey Sandwich w/Cranberry Mustard, Pasta Salad, Hot Dogs w/Fixings Bar, Artisan Cheeses, Fresh Fried Potato chips with a trio of dips, Focaccia Bread and Assorted Gourmet Dessert Bars.")
The ancillary items didn't deter Ignatius, but he said that when tried to purchase the package for Game 2, the sales representative with whom he was dealing told him the transaction couldn't be completed.
"When I gave my name to the girl who was taking my information, there was a pause, and then she said, 'Sorry, but after looking at your ticket-purchasing history, it is obvious you are a Penguins fan,' " Ignatius said.
" 'Mr. Leonsis has given us orders not to sell tickets to Penguins fans.' "
Ignatius' response?
"I told her to thank Mr. Leonsis for paying me and the multitude of Pens fans who have filled the Capital Centre and Verizon Center over the years this great compliment."

So I wonder if he's letting Bettman in the building?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #517
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Penguins Notebook: Getting tickets tough call now

So I wonder if he's letting Bettman in the building?

Dn't be silly....Bettman is going to a Basketball game.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #518
Galaxy
Coordinator

Crosby strikes first.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #519
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What a sick save
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #520
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What a stick save

Fixed
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #521
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

Good God is Bob Cole terrible. I mean, he's been declining for 15 years now, and bad for the last 4-5, but this is my first time being forced to listen to him this season, and OH MY GOD is he awful. AWFUL.

I know, I know, it's not kind to speak ill of the deceased, yada yada.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #522
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'd like to watch this game (since Fox has blacked out all MLB games all day, even though their game doesn't start until 3pm or so, the fuckers), but the local NBC affiliate is doing a live, all-day Derby special. SCREW ME.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #523
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'd like to watch this game (since Fox has blacked out all MLB games all day, even though their game doesn't start until 3pm or so, the fuckers), but the local NBC affiliate is doing a live, all-day Derby special. SCREW ME.

can you get it on your HD channel maybe?

BTW I hate that black out shit, it's absolutly absurd.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #524
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't mind the blackout during the game they are covering, but WTF is the purpose of blacking out games that started at 1pm? Today they are starting early at 3pm on Fox, usually they start at 4pm. So I don't get the purpose of blacking out the 1pm game. It's no longer 1975 and we aren't sitting around waiting for Fox's Saturday Afternoon Game of the Week. It's fucking ridiculous.

The HD channel is just the same Derby coverage. Of course, I'm probably the only person in Kentucky who is complaining about not getting to watch a hockey game on Derby Day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #525
Logan
Head Coach

It's a lot more fun watching Ovechkin play against any team but your own.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #526
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Remember the post I made a month ago about Ryan Salmons, the 19-year old who had cancer and the Jackets 'signed' him to a one day contract? Sadly, he passed away yesterday.

Quote:
Ryan Salmons, who helped inspire the Blue Jackets and became a hero to scores of the club's fans, died today.
Salmons, who fought a long battle with cancer, was 19 years old. He died at Nationwide Childrens Hospital this afternoon just hours after Jackets forward Jason Chimera had stopped in for a visit.
Salmons, a fan of hockey and Corvettes, asked to be put under sedation, his father Brad said.
"His last words were, 'Dad, I want to go to sleep, I want to go to heaven and I want to park my Corvette in front of the Pearly Gates,'" his father said.
Brad Salmons believes the Jackets' outreach and team's bid for its first playoff berth helped keep his son alive the past month. The Jackets signed him to a one-day contract several weeks ago and he was able to attend both playoff games in Nationwide Arena.
Jackets' general manager Scott Howson said the franchise drew inspiration from the former defenseman. He befriended Chimera and Manny Malhotra and he became routine visitor to the Jackets locker room. Players began wearing "Ryan's Fight" T-shirts.
"Ryan was an inspiration for how hard and valiant he fought," Howson said. "He was not just an inspiration for the players, but everyone in the organization . . . Whatever we did for Ryan, he did a lot more for us."
Howson, Chimera, Malhotra and Blue Jackets Foundation executive director Wendy Bradshaw visited the family's Grove City home on Wednesday. Last night, Malhotra and Chimera dropped by the hospital.
Brad Salmons described a scene of how Chimera and Malhotra would help move Ryan around his bed in order to find a comfortable sitting position. Ryan was in great pain over the final 48 hours, his father said, and the players did all they could to relieve it.
"They have gone above and beyond through this entire ordeal," his father said.
Howson said the actions of his players would have pleased the franchise's late patriarch, John H. McConnell.
“Part of the reason Mr. Mac brought a team here was to reach out to the community and help people,” Howson said. “They have lived up to Mr. Mac’s goals.”
Brad Salmons has been in close contact with the Blue Jackets today. The calling hours and funeral service will likely be early next week, say Monday or Tuesday.

The story didn't mention this but Chimera and Malhotra are going to be pallbearers for the funeral.

Ryan was truly an inspiration for the fans as well. The team arranged to sell Salmons jerseys through the Blue Jackets foundation. As of last week, he was the 3rd best selling jersey, behind Nash and Mason.

Here's the original story for those who might have missed it:

Blue Jackets Xtra : Cancer patient's 1-day pact with Jackets priceless

As I said before, I am truly proud to be a fan of this team.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #527
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Chicago keeps shooting themselves in the foot with all these early penalties.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #528
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hawks have tied it up on the 5 on 2.5 (5 on 3 with one of the three having a broken stick)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #529
samifan24
Pro Starter

Please, please don't call the Hurricanes the Whalers. They are not the Whalers.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #530
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Blackhawks piling on now, up 5-2

SI

Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #531
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Getting chippy now. Hopefully this lead is secure as I have to get going- work at midnight. Hooray...

SI

Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #532
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Crazy first goal in the Wings game. Just bounced all over the place before ending up in the Anaheim net.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #533
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Crazy first goal in the Wings game. Just bounced all over the place before ending up in the Anaheim net.

Then Anaheim answers with two goals in 34 seconds.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #534
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Then Anaheim answers with two goals in 34 seconds.

I hope Anaheim fans don't complain about calls after that one Stuart gone.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #535
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, that said Anaheim has taken it to Detroit so far in the first.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #536
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And Detroit ties it up. Tons of action in the first period today.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #537
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And Detroit ties it up on a weak goal allowed by Hiller.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #538
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anaheim goes up 3-2 on another PPG. Puck took a nice bounce off the boards right to Carter who buried it.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #539
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings are not looking very sharp through two periods. Anaheim's top line is dominating and the Wings top two lines have been invisible throughout the series thus far. One of Zetterberg, Datsyuk or Hossa needs to step it up and make something happen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #540
DeToxRox
Head Coach

It might be time to make some line changes. Dats and Hossa are both scuffling big time.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #541
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...nice to see the rundown so far. I missed the first period sleeping (stupid East Coast start times). I'm a night time guy, and I need to get sleep early on the weekends as much as I can, since I don't get much sleep during the week.

I watched the entire second period. Fairly mishmashed period, IMO. The announcers said the Ducks had the better period, and by the score, it's hard to argue that. But really it was just an "effective" period by The Ducks, and not quite so by the Wings, but neither side impressing. That goal was complete luck, a bounce off the boards. Otherwise, this is a forgetful second period and we move on.

Up coming is a huge third period. The series could ride on the third period, because the Ducks really need this game.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #542
Schmidty
Coordinator

Pretty goal!!! 3-3!!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #543
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Another tight one. This one goes to OT.

Man, Franzen flops a lot.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #544
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love playoff OT hockey

SI

Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #545
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Me too, especially since I don't really care who wins.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #546
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Me too, especially since I don't really care who wins.

Same here. Also fun: watching teams with offensive talent.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #547
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I want to see the Wings lose, but aside from that, I'm with you guys

SI

Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #548
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Same here. Also fun: watching teams with offensive talent.

Did they call off the search for Zherdev yet?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #549
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not a terrific period for Anaheim. Hiller has been fantastic. Doesn't seem like the Ducks have been able to control the puck at all in the overtime, and Hiller has been forced to make some very nice saves to keep this one tied. The Wings would do good to better disrupt Hiller's sight lines on those long ones if they want to get one of those in.

I'm not sure if I was a ref I woulda called that ticky tack on Niedermayer in an OT playoff game, but it was a penalty. Glad the Ducks killed it off.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #550
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Here comes 3OT!!!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote