Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #501
samifan24
Pro Starter

So I'm really glad I picked A-Rod in the first round, I have to tell you. I wasn't a big fan to begin with and now my whole season could be ruined before it even begins. Thanks, A-Fraud.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #502
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
So I'm really glad I picked A-Rod in the first round, I have to tell you. I wasn't a big fan to begin with and now my whole season could be ruined before it even begins. Thanks, A-Fraud.

*hug*

I thought of you when I saw that today. I had a BRIEF thought of taking him at #1 (did last year) Very glad I made the pick I did now
Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #503
samifan24
Pro Starter

The thing that frustrates me the most is that I went back and forth between A-Rod and David Wright for a long, long time before I made my pick. I convinced myself A-Rod was too talented to pass up.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #504
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
10.10 Jay Bruce lf/cf/rf
AAAAAAAAUUUUGH~!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #505
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Sorry Todd i think he might be a steal at this point in the draft. I wanted to take him the last time through but had other needs.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #506
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

He was definitely on my list.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #507
Travis
Pro Rookie

heh, I'd have taken him either of my last two picks had I not gotten Ellsbury earlier. Definitely a nice pickup.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #508
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay guys i gotta run for a couple of hours in case the pick gets back to me. Lets try to get thru a whole round tonight.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #509
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not a huge Jay Bruce guy. Not him specifically, but I like to at least have more than 1 full season of stats to pick players based on. It's not a hard and fast rule and if, say, Longoria were still on the board in round 5, I wouldn't turn my nose up at him and would want him in a heartbeat. But, well...

I was "talking shop" with a friend of mine over ICQ about fantasy strategy as he's trying to decide on some things for his league and we were talking about my draft so far. We mentioned how there is always one or two "all potential" teams out there and how we like to see that in our leagues. Sure, if everything breaks well for them, they will crush the league. But not everyone who hit 10~15 homers in limited time last year is going to get that 30 projected out over a whole season. Similarly, a lot of those guy regress horribly and while people are choosing that possible stud, others can pile up "boring" guys who will likely give you reliable numbers that will help your team while the hot prospect chaser is stuck with a gaping hole.

Then again, maybe we've reached the point in the draft where it's more important to look for potential because the known commodities are known mediocrity. Who knows?

And we were talking about drafting on ceiling vs floor, etc, and all sorts of fun little topics...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #510
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

My list is in. Have a good night kids
Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #511
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

10.11 Robinson Cano 2b
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #512
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, guys- this is usually a bad time of day for me to check since I'm on my way home, going for a walk/run, shower, dinner, etc.

Anyways, here are PackerFanatic's list picks:

10.12 SP Edinson Vólquez

11.1. LF/RF Xavier Nady

I'll be back in an hour or so

SI

Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #513
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

OKay i am back, yeah like that matters. Where is that pesky Sox fan?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #514
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

11.2 Mark Derosa Every Position
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #515
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm still hoping to make my next pick tonight.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #516
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Haha, I almost took DeRosa, just because he is so convenient to have.

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 03-05-2009 at 08:56 PM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #517
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

11.3 SP Adam Wainright
Old 03-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #518
samifan24
Pro Starter

11.4 Adrian Beltre 3B

Thanks, A-Rod.

Last edited by samifan24 : 03-05-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: put wrong pick number down
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #519
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yahoo and thread updated thru 11.4. Looks like we're up to the end of the nightly clock.

CleBrownsFan, myself, Ramzavail, and MizzouRah are due up- 10am tomorrow morning at the latest with that first pick

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #520
samifan24
Pro Starter

So, how about a vote, is my team screwed without A-Rod? For the sake of argument, let's suppose A-Rod misses the entire first half of the season.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #521
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking that if we wanted to have some more chatter in the thread- I had come up with some questions since we've reached the end of round 10ish.

First, a few about your own team:
1) Overall thoughts
2) Best bargain
3) Biggest reach

And other teams:
1) Couple of best bargains in the draft so far
2) Team(s) to beat and why
3) Other thoughts

Then again, I could understand if no one wanted to do this so that they wouldn't be "giving up secrets" about their team or didn't want the thread cluttered up.

SI

Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #522
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

You will be a bit handicapped to start off but as long as he is not out more than the first two months you should be in the hunt. You have plenty of pop and if Soriano can stay healthy and you get the Uggla from the first half of last year you should be solid.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #523
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay i will take a shot at my team.

Steal so far: James Shields - I did not think he would last till the seventh round and i think he is going to have a very good year.

Reach: Delgado - I got a little worried i would be left with junk at 1b and may have reached with Carlos. If i get 2nd half Carlos then i think he will be a steal but with his advanced age he could be a flop.

Overall i do not think i have a team that is strong in one specific category and have tried to get a well balanced team. If we are weak in one are i think it will be in power and of course saves (so far).
Old 03-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #524
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts on my team

Reach: Hardy might have been a smidge early. But considering Tulowitzki went soon after and there's not much out there at SS this year, I'm not feeling too awful about it. I wonder if I could have gone with Soto on the way up, picked Hardy at 7 on the way down, and another pitcher at 8. Peavy at 4 is going to be a make-or-break sort for me this season- hopefully he was not a reach.

Steal: I don't know if I have any real steals. I'm pretty happy with Magglio in 5, considering who else went around the same time. He's not a sexy pick but he's solid with a quality floor. I like Harang at 10 a lot, too.

Overall: I've been pretty conservative so far this year and have a nice floor. I think that fairly soon it's time to start taking some chances but there are still a lot of "guaranteed" stats on the board. I'm fairly happy with my pitching at this point, augmented with some later picks. I wish I had one more big bat.

Thoughts on other teams

Steals: Victorino fell a long way; So did Adrian Gonzalez; Soriano was expected to go in mid 2 and he lasted until 3.4; Haren was a great bargain, too. Morneau in mid 4 is a beast.

Expected good years: Steals are players who fell too far, whereas the following I think are due for bounce back or better than expected years. I think Tulowitzki is due to bounce back and I had a hard time deciding between the floor of Hardy and the ceiling of Tulowitzki. Cano's season last year was almost completely based on bad BABIP- I wanted him to fall to me this round but I waited one too long. If Matt Cain ever had good luck, he would be an absolute steal.

Teams to Beat: I find the board fairly balanced, actually. In year's past, you could pick out a couple of teams to beat. I think most teams have some picks I like and also ones I don't, mine included. It's not something that just jumps off the page at me like in year's past. Also, keep in mind, my predictions are notoriously bad so this may be more of a curse than a blessing.

With ARod healthy, I like Hartford quite a bit. Solid lineup, 2 good pitchers- is going to need to snag some quality pitchers in the next few rounds to bolster the still-thin pitching staff.

Queen Bees is a good mix of bargain heavy hitters and quality pitching. They are going to have to have something up their sleeves to fill those MI/C positions, tho. You just can't punt that many positions.

I also like Troy- it's weird, it looks like the "name value" team of a more casual fan. However, a lot of those guys are bargains that other people were passing up to take chances so it has a good chance. Cliff Lee is the only pick that really sticks out bad to me. Imagine that team with one of the other round 6/7 pitchers, particularly Shields, Hernandez, or Lackey. Manny was a bit too early, too.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-06-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #525
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

11.5 Ricky Nolasco SP

Honestly - I don't know much about him but it sounds like there is a lot of upside...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #526
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
11.5 Ricky Nolasco SP

Honestly - I don't know much about him but it sounds like there is a lot of upside...

Good upside, tons of Ks, strong 2H last year, over 100 pitches in each of last 20 starts. Good risk/reward.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #527
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

11.6 2B Kelly Johnson, Atl

Like I said earlier, I was really hoping for Cano to fall to here. Kelly Johnson's not a bad consolation prize, tho.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-06-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #528
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
11.6 SS Kelly Johnson, Atl

Like I said earlier, I was really hoping for Cano to fall to here. Kelly Johnson's not a bad consolation prize, tho.

You know he's 2B eligible and not SS eligible, right?
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM   #529
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, hey, I have a list from Toddzilla when he gets up

SI

Old 03-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #530
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
You know he's 2B eligible and not SS eligible, right?

Whoops, yeah, I know (hence why I was talking about Cano).

Typo. Edited.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-06-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #531
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Whoops, yeah, I know (hence why I was talking about Cano).

Typo. Edited.

SI

Just wanted to make sure you were taking the guy you wanted.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #532
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

So when is the next pick due now?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #533
Ramzavail
College Starter

sorry I had no idea and I checked this thread this morning, give me 5 mins
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #534
Ramzavail
College Starter

11.7 Raul Ibanez OF
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #535
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Nice pickup Ram i think in that ballpark in Philly with the lineup they have he is gonna have a good year.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #536
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ugh so close. There are two guys I'd love to get here with my next two picks. I am hopin.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #537
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
11.7 Raul Ibanez OF

Not a sexy pick but a good, solid, productive player.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #538
DeToxRox
Head Coach

First, a few about your own team:
1) Overall thoughts

I like my team quite a bit if things pan out. I think Kinsler will be damn solid, as will I get the usual from Hamilton, McCann, Granderson and Adrian Gonzalez. Still worried about Stephen Drew however. My pitching has two guys with big question marks in Harden and Bedard, but if I get some solid innings from either, I am going to be fine. I need a nice bounce back from Verlander though, or else I could risk 3 of my 4 SP so far going to shit.

2) Best bargain

Probably Adrian Gonzalez where I got him. He mashes and should be one of the most productive 1B once again when all is said and done.

3) Biggest reach

Stephen Drew. Didn't like the SS depth when I picked him. Problem was picking last I didn't see him being there at my next picks. He had a good year last year, and has the potential, but I am still not 100% sold on him putting up the #s I'd like him to.

And other teams:
1) Couple of best bargains in the draft so far

I love Magglio in the 6th. He's a consistent .320 hitter with 100 RBI and 25 or so HR.

2) Team(s) to beat and why

Couldn't say yet. Give me 5 more rounds.

3) Other thoughts

Love seeing the different draft strategies. A lot of diversity amongst how picks are made.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #539
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
11.3 SP Adam Wainright

Oh man... guess I'll have to pick a Cub SP. :P

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-06-2009 at 11:51 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #540
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I see Todd and Travis here. SI said Todd 2 has a list, and Sooner is always quick to the gun. Lets do it.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #541
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

11.8 SP Ryan Dempster
Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #542
Travis
Pro Rookie

11.9 Josh Johnson SP
Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #543
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Nice pick Mizzou time to start talking trade
Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #544
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nice pick Mizzou time to start talking trade

Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #545
samifan24
Pro Starter

Some good pitchers off the board this round. I fully expect the run on pitching to continue.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #546
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

The question is when does the closer run begin?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #547
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

11.10 Mike Jacobs - First Base - Kansas City Royals

I honestly cannot believe Jacobs fell to round 11.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #548
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

He plays for the Royals and he can't hit lefties. I really liked him as well but figured for sure the Royal could screw him up, no offense Royals fans.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #549
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I see Sooners here, so be ready to stick around.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #550
sooner333
College Starter

11.11 Chone Figgins - Second Base/Third Base - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

I hate to be trite and pick the top guy on the board and I was debating between him and some other guys but he brings some things to the team I need (one of which is a starting Second Baseman).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote