Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #501
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Ever since I bought a PS3 over a month ago I can't get enough of this game. I've only played the RTTS mode and I'm loving it. Right now I'm in the year 2013 and I'm the 2nd SP for the Giants. I got traded all over and this is the first National League team I've played for. I really suck at batting but it's nice to hit once in a while. My record is a modest 4-3 but my ERA is 2.98 and I have 44 K's with only 6 walks. Most starts I get about 200 points so I've been able to climb the ranks pretty quick. The Giants are also in first place (end of May) so this is the first team I've been on that is actually playing well.

I'll 2nd this. My favorite thing to do in any baseball console game ever since Earl Weaver Baseball was to let everything be automated except I control pitching. RTTS is perfect for my favored style of playing.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #502
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Anybody have a RTTS problem where once it's time for batting practice, your player doesn't show up on the screen and you're just looking at the pitcher?

This happened to me a few times... Really inconvenient because you lose the development opportunities. But it seemed to stop after the first couple of seasons for some reason.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #503
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, I'm extremely pumped and HAVE to share this somewhere. In my third Double A start as a pitcher in RTTS (my first pitcher career), I threw a no-hitter against the BaySox. There were two errors and then I hit one guy with a knuckleball, but they got nothing else. In the ninth, the first hitter rocked one at second and he bobbled it but made the play. Then the same thing happened at short for an error. With one out, the hitter drove a worm-burner up the middle, my shortstop grabbed it, stepped on two and fired on to first to preserve the no-no. Embarrassingly enough, I thrusted my arms into the air in the V-pose. Then I looked up at the screen and my pitcher was doing the same thing.

The announcers are awful at trying to jinx the no-hitter though. They mentioned, at least twice per inning from the fifth on, that I had the no-no going.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #504
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Congrats, my flirtations with no-hitters have been thrilling.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #505
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

After reading the thread, I think I'm going to fire the game up again and try RTTS mode. I'd done it briefly once before and stopped because I wanted to do a dynasty, but..I'm gonna go back and start pitching again. Should be a nice diversion.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #506
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm many years into my career and have never come close to a no-no. Think I hit the 7th inning once out of hundreds of starts.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #507
duff88
College Prospect

I'm one year away from free agency in my RTTS starting pitcher dynasty.

After a 14-10 season where I was top 6 in ERA, strikeouts and WHIP, I signed what should probably be my last contract with the Astros, a 1 year / 21.5M$ deal.

I have yet to make the playoffs... I can't wait to play for a winner.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #508
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
I'm one year away from free agency in my RTTS starting pitcher dynasty.

After a 14-10 season where I was top 6 in ERA, strikeouts and WHIP, I signed what should probably be my last contract with the Astros, a 1 year / 21.5M$ deal.

I have yet to make the playoffs... I can't wait to play for a winner.
I'm in the same boat. Been playing for the Nationals now and finishing up my 5th season with them. Nowhere near making the playoffs so far which is disappointing. I was 3rd in ERA one year and went 11-12. I can't wait to get out of that shithole and pitch for a team with a good offense.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #509
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Congrats, my flirtations with no-hitters have been thrilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm many years into my career and have never come close to a no-no. Think I hit the 7th inning once out of hundreds of starts.

Yeah, it was actually fun and yet a bit tense simply because I really wanted it.

Interestingly enough, there was no bonus for throwing a no-hitter. I ended up with 580 training points but 150 were from a shutout, 100 from a complete game, and so on. I'll take the points though, just surprised it didn't warrant a nice point jump as well.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #510
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Yeah, it was actually fun and yet a bit tense simply because I really wanted it.

Interestingly enough, there was no bonus for throwing a no-hitter. I ended up with 580 training points but 150 were from a shutout, 100 from a complete game, and so on. I'll take the points though, just surprised it didn't warrant a nice point jump as well.
That kind of sucks. Seems like a no-hitter should be worth 500 or something. I wonder if there is a bonus for a perfect game.

Was there unique commentary once you did it? How about a celebration scene? I get tense trying to finish a shutout, a no-hitter would be nerve racking.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #511
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, there was a celebration scene and unique commentary (would've had pictures but completely blanked on how to do a screenshot at the time). As soon as the double-play was turned, my pitcher threw his arms in the air, the first baseman hopped around and then they mobbed the mound, piling on. The last scene was my pitcher up on someone's shoulders as they carried him off the field. All of that was pretty awesome.

OH, and I almost forgot, the crowd, even though I was away, was much louder each successive inning and stood up in the ninth. The announcer commented that "the fans want to see history even more than they want to see their team win."
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #512
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Fired up RTTS last night and I didn't really know what I was doing and so, my guy pretty much bounced around a lot save for a brief cup of coffee in MLB. I created a different guy today and he's in his first season and after pitching in relief (he's a starter) for the AA squad and winning the title there (he pitched in 5 games in the post-season and went 9 innings scoreless total) he's now in the majors where he's had a rough go, but he's only 18.

I hope I can get into Spring Training with the big club again.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #513
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, started an RTTS as a SP on my PSP. First time ever playing The Show. Already having a ton of fun. I was even drafted by the Angels, of all teams.

My little UMD boxette doesn't seem to come with much in the way of a manual, though. Maybe someone can help me out with what is the correct way to pitch (most specifically with the swinging curve thingy).

I looked at the tip in the game, and I get that the yellow part at the end is going to be power the further you let it go along. And I seem to get you need to hit 'X' twice. The tip says the first one is for power, the second is for trying to hit the "sweet spot". Okay, where's the sweet spot? Is it the break in color? Is it wherever I set the power point? Something else?

I have managed to completely pitch the Angels out of my first two spring training games because I haven't figured this out.

I beaned Randy Winn twice, though (once intentionally), so I am pretty stoked about that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #514
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, started an RTTS as a SP on my PSP. First time ever playing The Show. Already having a ton of fun. I was even drafted by the Angels, of all teams.

My little UMD boxette doesn't seem to come with much in the way of a manual, though. Maybe someone can help me out with what is the correct way to pitch (most specifically with the swinging curve thingy).

I looked at the tip in the game, and I get that the yellow part at the end is going to be power the further you let it go along. And I seem to get you need to hit 'X' twice. The tip says the first one is for power, the second is for trying to hit the "sweet spot". Okay, where's the sweet spot? Is it the break in color? Is it wherever I set the power point? Something else?

I have managed to completely pitch the Angels out of my first two spring training games because I haven't figured this out.

I beaned Randy Winn twice, though (once intentionally), so I am pretty stoked about that.

The sweet spot is the line/area you see in the middle of the meter (white/light blue), that becomes bigger/smaller depending on your confidence.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #515
SackAttack
Head Coach

I pitched almost ten innings of relief in a 1-0 spring training game. Came in in the 13th, and it was kinda like the 'tie' All-Star Game. Both teams had kinda burned through their bullpens, so it became this iron man duel between me and Brad Lidge.

Both sides threatened, but it took until the bottom of the 22nd when apparently my infield was way out of position, because they dived (and missed) on four straight grounders. Oh well.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #516
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
The sweet spot is the line/area you see in the middle of the meter (white/light blue), that becomes bigger/smaller depending on your confidence.

Do you mean from the white part to the yellow part? Is that the sweet spot? I was aiming for the beginning of the white after eading this, but that got balls way off the plate. Seemed better if I aimed for the middle of the stretch of curve between the white and the yellow areas.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #517
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've been playing non-stop until today. My guy is in the majors and got traded to the Mariners before the trade deadline during his rookie year in the majors (with the Cardinals) and now i'm in the rotation, but...I think I'll be happier when I can leave there. That said, they've been playing better defense for me and it's getting a bit better for me.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #518
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I have an Organizational Goal of improving my Arm Strength and Arm Accuracy, but I don't see training for that. I have been moving around, doing stuff I think would improve this (Control and Velocity work on my pitches, BB/9, K/9 work), but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #519
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Never mind, found it. I just didn't go down far enough.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #520
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, I have an Organizational Goal of improving my Arm Strength and Arm Accuracy, but I don't see training for that. I have been moving around, doing stuff I think would improve this (Control and Velocity work on my pitches, BB/9, K/9 work), but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

It should be with the fielding skills.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #521
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It should be with the fielding skills.

Yeah, found it. I wasn't thinking they were talking about fielding skills before.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #522
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't understand why they don't have awards in RTTS mode. But I guess they didn't want to bother with that...
Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #523
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I don't understand why they don't have awards in RTTS mode. But I guess they didn't want to bother with that...

They do. It's a few menu screens right of the training, interaction, etc screen. It's on the same screen where you can view who got inducted into the hall of fame among other things.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-26-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #524
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
They do. It's a few menu screens right of the training, interaction, etc screen. It's on the same screen where you can view who got inducted into the hall of fame among other things.

ooh. gotcha.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #525
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm in year 2013 and made my 1st All-star game! Pitched a scoreless 3rd inning and got 500 pnts for being an All-Star.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #526
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Picked this up the other day. I must say that it is much better than last year's version.

I really suck so far though. I don't know what it is but I am having issues getting the hitting down and it seems like pitching is much tougher, or a lot less forgiving. I have a career as a third baseman and after my first two games I am 1 for 6 with 5 K's. In my SP career I got rocked my first game, after striking out the first batter I gave up 5 straight hits and 5 runs in the first inning.

I like some of the added dynamic content such as some of the crowd reactions being different for various players.

I actually watched a game last night, just to see how it played out (I like to see how well a game like this holds it's own with no interaction from me). In one point there was an inside pitch thrown to a hitter which was followed up with a ground out on the next pitch. The batter was jawing with the pitcher after the out. The pitcher then drilled the next hitter. I don't know how closely attached the events were but it at least seemed pretty cool.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #527
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Figured out the trick to developing your player in RTTS almost about the time that I decided to just give it up completely. After a pretty strong rookie year (after seven years in the minors) he's in his second year and is pretty much on Cy Young pace and I'm dueling right now for his 20th win and I hope we can make the playoffs.

Needless to say, it's a lot more fun when your dude is successful than when he's not, but having had the frustration at sucking at the mode for a while, makes it super immersive now that he's dealing.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #528
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Figured out the trick to developing your player in RTTS almost about the time that I decided to just give it up completely. After a pretty strong rookie year (after seven years in the minors) he's in his second year and is pretty much on Cy Young pace and I'm dueling right now for his 20th win and I hope we can make the playoffs.

Needless to say, it's a lot more fun when your dude is successful than when he's not, but having had the frustration at sucking at the mode for a while, makes it super immersive now that he's dealing.

I love having a 101 mph fastball too

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #529
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I love having a 101 mph fastball too

Mine isn't quite that high.

Free agency is pretty awesome. If you get contracts you don't like, you can go to spring training and then you have to "try out" for a team, but it lets you pick the team that you want to "try out" for.

So that's pretty sweet if you don't like any of the deals you get and want to 1) pick your team and 2) see how good all of the squads are before you sign with them, since the game doesn't actually let you see during free agency.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #530
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

My RTTS hitter (switching between that and franchise mode) made the majors in 2011 and just hit his first homerun, that was great. I'm off to a good start but I must be getting better at the game since I'm hitting better in the majors than I ever did in the minors. It might be time to tweak the sliders I've been using for ages.

I used to guess fastball low most of the time but now am guessing fastball high until the first or second strike depending on the pitcher. It's helped me get more extra base hits. Also I'm taking strikes more often. Common sense of course but it takes a little time if you haven't been playing the series for years.

If anyone remembers this from the High Heat series, more disciplined hitters would get more favorable ball/strike calls. Does this exist in the Show or should I be putting a ton of points into the hitting stats and not worrying about plate discipline if I'm not simming games?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #531
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So, I played with modified rosters that have a few of my friends, my brother and my real life self in the majors at the same time as my guy whose toiling.

So after my six year bid in Oakland-Alameda County Prison (ok, so we did win the World Series my second year and stunk for the four years after that) I become a free agent. Didn't really like any of the teams offering me deals (ok, the Jays offered me a contract...and I wanted to take it, but...I was afraid to be stuck on any team for that long) and so, I did the whole go to spring training and earn a contract.

I signed with the Braves, because two of my friend's characters are on that team and so, I thought it'd be fun to team up with them (and the team is stacked) and I'm tired of look at AL parks anyway after six years of it.

They offered me an 8-year deal, but I didn't want to sign that long. I tried to get them to do a 2-year deal with a player option, but they weren't having it. So I just took a straight 2 year deal and that way, I can hang with my boys and then in two years, can see what else the world has to offer.

It's pretty hilarious how immersive this can be.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #532
RainMaker
General Manager

I had been mostly doing RTTS as a pitcher but recently started being a hitter. There are some things that really annoy me about the point system.

1) Hit and Run - So the coach gives me the signal that a hit and run is on when I'm at the plate. The other team either throws a pitchout or ball way out of the zone that is unhittable. Even if I swing and miss, I still lose points. Essentially I lose points because the computer called a pitchout?

2) The in-game goals are just stupid and random. It's essentially a game of chance whether you get the hit when they have a "Reach Base Safely" on or not. For instance, I went 2 for 4 with a walk and didn't gain any points because the two times I got out there was some goofy task on. I can understand tasks like driving the runner from 3rd home or one that would tell you to lay down a bunt or move the runners up. But half just seem like random crap. It's not about how well your player performs in the game, it's all about whether he performs well when they decide to give you a goal. So a flyout in the 3rd is worth -10 but one in the 4th doesn't knock off any points.

3) The overall goals are stupid, especially base on balls. They didn't make the game so that you could walk much. So why do they have goals that require you to walk 9 times in 2 weeks or something? Even if I never swung at a single pitch, I wouldn't walk 9 times.

I still like the game a lot and RTTS is a ton of fun. But they really didn't put any thought into the goals and point system at all. I'd rather the focus just be on your performance in the game. How many hits, steals, etc. Not whether you were able to reach base in the 6th inning as opposed to the 4th. I hate having an 0-5 game where I get 20 points from putouts and follow it up with a 3-4 game that I get no points.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #533
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Rainmaker, I agree a lot with what you said above. And from the pitching side, seriously, if I walk one person in the middle of a no-hitter and the manager comes out to talk to me, I might shank that idiot.

Actually though, I'm kind of excited. I've just had my first player reach the big leagues (if you count the Nationals. And I'm a Pirates fan and I'm saying that). He's currently the fifth starter of the Nationals but I figure I'll be the #4 at the end of Spring Training. I've been on the trading block for 18 months and keep hoping...
Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #534
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

You guys that have a SP in RTTS - do you get pulled to early a lot? I made the All-Star game in 2013 and I'm the 2nd SP for the Giants and if I'm in the 6th inning and give up a lead off hit (with only 80 something pitches) I get pulled. Not all the time but to many to keep count. Then I go to the interactions and bitch my coach out for taking me out early and he says something about it was the right decision. bla bla bla

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 05-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #535
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You guys that have a SP in RTTS - do you get pulled to early a lot? I made the All-Star game in 2013 and I'm the 2nd SP for the Giants and if I'm in the 6th inning and give up a lead off hit (with only 80 something pitches) I get pulled. Not all the time but to many to keep count. Then I go to the interactions and bitch my coach out for taking me out early and he says something about it was the right decision. bla bla bla

Yeah, I see that a decent amount actually. My stamina is near maxed out but a walk or hit in or after the sixth in a remotely close game and I'm likely to get a visit and it is 50/50 on whether or not I get to stay in.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #536
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen that too much, but I see it in the 7th. You can change the CPU slider "manager hook" to alter that some if you want (but mine is still at default.)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #537
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I haven't seen that too much, but I see it in the 7th. You can change the CPU slider "manager hook" to alter that some if you want (but mine is still at default.)

I've let the slider at default as well. There's been a couple of starts where I feel like my pitcher got pulled too soon, but most of the time, I'm usually at the point where I need to get yanked. I feel like I've been left out there too long more often than pulled early.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #538
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Yeah, it happens a lot. Seems they let you go farther if you have a shutout. I would go into the interactions and complain to my manager. Not sure if that helps in the future though. I got pulled the other night in the 7th when I was pitching a 2 hit shutout.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #539
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, I get pulled all of the time in the 7th or so after I give up a shutout. Or if I run into a big jam, which annoys me.

Into my 10th season now, pitching with the Mets. After two years with the Braves, signed a 4-year deal with them as a FA and now we're in a Game 7 that I'm pitching against my old squad to get to the World Series.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #540
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just won the 2013 World Series with Baltimore in a game 7 vs the Phils. It was 0-0 in the bottom of the 10th when my 2B I picked year one came up. He had 71 SB in the regular season, can flat out fly.

He walks. Steals second. A sac bunt took him to the third, and then he scores on a ... wild pitch. Talk about anti climatic yet so amazing all in one.

This was the best season ever. We won the WC on the last day beating Toronto 4-3. We had 99 wins and were the WC. The Yanks had 98 wins and the Red Sox had 91. The Rays won the East with 104 wins.

Thankfully TB lost in the first round to Anaheim. We swept the Indians, then took Anaheim in 7 before the WS win.

So fucking great.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #541
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've let the slider at default as well. There's been a couple of starts where I feel like my pitcher got pulled too soon, but most of the time, I'm usually at the point where I need to get yanked. I feel like I've been left out there too long more often than pulled early.

I'm in the same boat. Usually when I get pulled (actually about 90-95% of the time) I'm even thinking in my head that I'm hoping they pull me, just because I'm not hitting my spots and I don't want to lose the potential win.

I just have to say, I'm enjoying this game as much as I've ever enjoyed a video game in my life. Just like most of you have said in this thread, the immersion factor is just...beyond words. My wife is going to be out of town from Friday night thru Sunday night, and all I can think about is "man, I might be able to get an entire season in!" Ever since I got my PS3 last weekend I'm just playing this game until I get that text from her telling me she's almost home.

Right now I'm still in my first year as an 18 year old SP. I created myself, and got absolutely rocked in my first spring training. I was offered a dinky 3 year minor league deal by the Pirates, and started improving pretty fast. I worked my way out of the bullpen after 20 or so scoreless innings pitched, and I'm now the #4 starter. I made the minor league all star game which was exciting, and as of last night I'm 10-6 with an ERA around 3.30. Last night I had my best outting with 8 IP, 9 K's, and only 1 earned run allowed.

Does anyone know if there is a playoff system in the minors? We're pretty close to taking the division, but I'm not sure if I should be looking forward to anything after the season other than potentially moving up to AAA. Also, is there a slider set that you guys could recommend? I have all of them set to default on the second highest difficulty level.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-04-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #542
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Does anyone know if there is a playoff system in the minors? We're pretty close to taking the division, but I'm not sure if I should be looking forward to anything after the season other than potentially moving up to AAA. Also, is there a slider set that you guys could recommend? I have all of them set to default on the second highest difficulty level.

Yes, there are playoffs in the minor leagues.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #543
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Well I'm now in year 4, working out of the Pen in Spring training. I made it to the show just before the all-star break as the #5 starter, and did respectable for a 21 year old...going 4-5 with a 4.50 ERA. Then the guy who I replaced came off the DL and I was sent back down for one start...and then called right back up in September to work out of the Pen. They offered me a 6 year deal worth about 2.2 mil, but I turned it down. This teams defense is absolutely awful, and last year they were the lowest scoring team in the majors. I was really hoping someone else would offer me a contract...hell anybody...but it didn't happen so Pittsburg just renewed me for 1 year at 390k. Hopefully I earn a spot on the 25 man roster as I have yet to allow a single run after 8 or 9 appearances.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #544
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone have tips for positional players? I'm really struggling and having trouble fulfilling my goals on a regular basis. I don't have enough power to get the extra base hits and I'm really subjected to bloop singles and infield hits.

Where do you guys put your points? Do you ignore the goals? I was thinking of putting it on speed so I could beat out more infield hits and gain points through stolen bases. My problem is that all my points seem to go toward the goals and those areas don't seem to have much impact (discipline, durability, vision, etc).
Old 06-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #545
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone have tips for positional players? I'm really struggling and having trouble fulfilling my goals on a regular basis. I don't have enough power to get the extra base hits and I'm really subjected to bloop singles and infield hits.

Where do you guys put your points? Do you ignore the goals? I was thinking of putting it on speed so I could beat out more infield hits and gain points through stolen bases. My problem is that all my points seem to go toward the goals and those areas don't seem to have much impact (discipline, durability, vision, etc).

How old are you? What level are you at now? I've found that it can definitely be a strugle the first few years as it's hard to be consistent. I only have experience as a Pitcher though...but I get the feeling that starting out it's not much different.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-07-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #546
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
How old are you? What level are you at now? I've found that it can definitely be a strugle the first few years as it's hard to be consistent. I only have experience as a Pitcher though...but I get the feeling that starting out it's not much different.

I started as an 18 year old CF in AA. I know someone mentioned that you get more points if you start older, but I didn't see that taking place in RTTS. I know it'll be a struggle early on, but it seems like my career just isn't going anywhere halfway through the season.

I have a career with a pitcher that is going well. I was able to scrap together quality starts enough to build up points. In fact, I actually think being a starting pitcher is much easier in this game than a position player. You have to really get rocked as a starter not to gain any points.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-07-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #547
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Well I read that someone on here spent 7 years in the minors before getting his shot in the Bigs. I forget who mentioned it, but he said by that time he had built up a pretty decent skillset and was successful right off the bat. I think it just takes time and patience...that's all I got

On a side note, after going 0-2 in Spring Training with a 1.30 ERA and 20 IP, I was optioned back down to AAA out of the bullpen. Bunch of crap.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #548
dervack
College Prospect

I decided to start a closer RTTS even though I know it's a lot harder to be successful in it. I think the AA manager for the Tigers is a Dusty Baker disciple. I just worked 7 straight games out of the pen, including 4 games where I went longer than an inning.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #549
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Well I read that someone on here spent 7 years in the minors before getting his shot in the Bigs. I forget who mentioned it, but he said by that time he had built up a pretty decent skillset and was successful right off the bat. I think it just takes time and patience...that's all I got

On a side note, after going 0-2 in Spring Training with a 1.30 ERA and 20 IP, I was optioned back down to AAA out of the bullpen. Bunch of crap.
Yeah, I think I just need to be more patient as a position player. Going to work on my speed more so that I'm beating out infield hits and stealing a lot. My only gripe with baserunning (besides the controls) is that it feels like the batter always fouls off 30 pitches.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #550
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

So...I'm thoroughly enjoying this thing. I do have one question that's probably more PS3 related than MLB 09 related.

Is there a patch available for this game? If so...does it auto-install upon boot, or do I have to do something so that it does install? Are there any drawbacks to installing the latest patch?