Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #501
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There are rumours that Lady Gaga is actually a man.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #502
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I certainly thought it was a drag show. Within a minute of the start I told my wife that Gaga has a wiener.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #503
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I think I heard that Lady Gaga is Kanye West's girlfriend. Could be wrong on that.

Her performance was pretty much ... "wtf was that?!?!". I can tolerate her music on the radio (it's catchy brainless stuff that you can ignore in the background) but live... wow.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #504
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by law90026 View Post
I think I heard that Lady Gaga is Kanye West's girlfriend. Could be wrong on that.

Her performance was pretty much ... "wtf was that?!?!". I can tolerate her music on the radio (it's catchy brainless stuff that you can ignore in the background) but live... wow.

I don't think Kanye West has too much talent either, FWIW.

Before the flames start, I didn't think a lot of the rapstars of the 90s had much talent either back then, but now I find myself liking a lot of the music.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #505
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My wife and I were looking at pictures of Gaga and she said, "Yep, you could hide a dick in there."
Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #506
Danny
Head Coach

I got a chance to listen to the studio recordings of the contestants and my favorites are Danny Gokey and Matt Giraud. I really like Danny (and I like Christian pop/rock, so if he goes that direction I am fine with it), but I think Matt may have the highest potential as a recording artist. Matt's studio recording of You Found Me (fray song from last week) was great in my opinion even though the judges didn't like the live version.

Last edited by Danny : 04-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #507
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm... songs from the year you were born tomorrow. Is Tainted Love too obvious a song choice for Adam?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #508
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This season's songwriting competition is canceled (if it ever really began), and rumor is that Kara will be writing the song. Oh joy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #509
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This season's songwriting competition is canceled (if it ever really began), and rumor is that Kara will be writing the song. Oh joy.

Anyone can write it as long as you work in the following words: rainbow, dream, happy and heaven
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #510
Landshark44
High School Varsity

all these songs suck....

i know there was some good music in the eighties
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #511
adubroff
High School JV

I think Adam did his best of the season and that's saying something because he's had some memorable ones (most of which were good memorable). I think he was the best of the night by a pretty good margin. He's the Ryan Howard of American Idol, he swings hard and when he's in a groove he delivers. Howard has made his name with some big late season performances, if Adam has that in him, he'll win this thing.

Alison was probably second best for me. I think she got back to picking the right song/element for herself. She's gonna be around for a while I think, they need a woman and they seem in a hurry to ditch Lil (who wasn't as awful tonight as they said).

Danny and Anoop were next best for me, I'd say they both gave very solid performances.

I was not as into Matt, but I think he's safe based on the ebulient praise. Kris is in some danger I think, he was as awful as they said. Scott is always at risk in my mind and might be most likely to go this week. I'd imagine bottom three will be Lil/Scott/Kris and they'll save Kris if he's the loser.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #512
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have hated almost every single performance that Adam has had this year. (There was one that I liked a few weeks ago), but I was very much not on the Adam love-train that everyone else was on.

This week was the first time all season that I easily said that he was the best act of the night. I loved his singing tonight, but it could be because I like that song too and thought he sang well.

In other news, glad I record Fringe on my DVR as well, because American Idol went way over tonight on the recording

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #513
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Adam just looks like a freak. The blind guy should really wear sunglasses too. His eyes are pretty disconcerting when he sings.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #514
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I did not care for Adam's rendition of that song, but I think it's just because I prefer faster songs, so I like the Tears For Fears version much better.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #515
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's a good thing I'm not grading American Idol itself. This season, it's somewhat a parody of what it was in the past. They've introduced a save rule that seems more a grandstanding distraction than an actual part of the show.

They constantly refer to past performers as if they've somehow created greatness out of the dust that's starting to settle on the lonely shelves reserved for music awards in the homes of Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard.

Lately, the judges seem to think the show is all about them, with Paula and Simon constantly interrupting each other and fawning on each other to the point where I expect my 80-year-old high school history teacher to spontaneously emerge upon the stage and shriek her favorite admonishment, "keep your paws to yourselves."

Early in the show, the judges ramble and clown and preen, to the point where I'm desperate for someone to ring a gong and bring out the next act. And later, they can't even comment, because they've run out of time due to all the clowning. That's on the producers. Tonight, my TiVo, set to record six minutes past the closing bell, cut off just as Simon was delivering praise for Adam Lambert.

So tonight, the Solecismic Ratings should be adjusted to reflect my opinion that the production staff did a far worse job than any of the singers. Time to fire a few people, maybe invest some money in a backup band that doesn't prefer karaoke arrangements, lose one of the judges and try working with a real schedule.

Despite the rants, it was generally a nice evening. The second half was miles better than the first half.

1. Adam Lambert. He didn't need the pimp spot tonight, closing the show with a pretty ballad. He will definitely infuse his legion of fans with tonight's performance, however. Adam is working from a different platform than his opponents, though I shouldn't say opponents because that's a sports metaphor, and his father was obviously crushed when young Adam showed a preference for playing dress-up over the world of sports. Adam is a well-trained actor, and displayed not only a quality voice, but a practiced method of interpretation. The way he quavered his voice over the word "nervous" is not something most singers would think to do. And not something the rest could do without appearing pretentious. If High School Musical can be a popular movie with the teens, then we can have an American Idol who belongs on Broadway. Probably the best performance by anyone this season. Score of 93.

2. Allison Iraheta. I've said this before, but every week, Allison improves. Her lower register is very strong, and when she exhibits control over her voice and resists the urge to rock out, she emerges as someone with an ease and style well beyond her years. I'm not sure why the insipid judges want her to be talkative and stand out. Is she supposed to interrupt her songs to rap a little about her high school homework? Is she supposed to sass Simon and cry over Paula? I think she's making quite an impression just learning her trade. Score of 89.

3. Scott MacIntyre. The judges have agreed to hate him until he disappears. But why cast him if that's the game plan? He is learning from week to week, probably as much as anyone other than Allison. Aside from an ill-fated (and thankfully very brief) voyage into the realm of screechy falsetto, he was very good tonight, and showed he's getting past the whiny immature tones that had me comparing him to Jim Henson's muppets earlier this season. I agree that he should stay away from the guitar from now on, and his constant arguing with the judges will lose him support. He's in danger this week, and it would be OK if he left, but, for the second straight week, this was his best performance of the season. Score of 77.

4. Danny Gokey. He was good, but the slow beginning was a little off-key, and the first half of the song had me thinking about elevators and dentist offices (though my dentist seems to prefer Animal Planet). I get the feeling he's sung Stand by Me 10,000 times now (Danny, not my dentist), and uses this arrangement to put smaller family members to sleep every night (novocaine is more humane). Score of 75.

5. Matt Giraud. I would have given him a pass this week, except for the annoying falsetto near the end. He was riffing all over the place tonight, like a junkball pitcher who knows his fastball deserted him in the second inning and is just trying to keep his team in the game. I can see why judges with professional experience appreciate his talents, but I can't relax and enjoy when Matt sings because he tries about 100 different things in every performance. Score of 72.

6. Anoop Desai. A nice imitation of a camera commercial. The heavy breathing and poor lower range hurt him early. He got a little better toward the end when he picked up the pace, but it was still very dull. I'm anooped out at this point of the season. Score of 63.

7. Lil Rounds. Lil was more in control this week, but this was just very derivative and nowhere near Tina Tuner's original. She riffed a few times for the sake of riffing, but it didn't work. I like her better when she doesn't over-sing, but she needs to work harder on arrangements that suit her voice. I was bored. Score of 61.

8. Kris Allen. I'm starting to think taxi driver might be a better profession than singer for forgettable Kris. He's just too precocious for this stage, and he tends to pick repetitive, tuneless songs. Again, he had a guitar and I'm not certain he was even playing it. Score of 60.

Expected Bottom Three: Kris, Scott, Matt.

Who Should Go: Anoop.

Who Will Go: Kris.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #516
Easy Mac

I could not disagree with Jim more. To even rate Scotts performance is a joke, let alone 3rd.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #517
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

What the hell was with Agent 47 sitting in the audience tonight?

Adam sang Mad World, while I haven't seen it yet because my TIVO cut off, was it the Gary Jules version?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #518
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Adam sang Mad World, while I haven't seen it yet because my TIVO cut off, was it the Gary Jules version?

yes, if Gary Jules was castrated during the song. In spite of the de-balling of Mr. Jules, it was still my favorite of Adam's performances.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #519
Arles
Grey Dog Software

man, I love mad world and missed it with Tivo. It's one of the few Adam performances I think I would have liked.

On the assumption that was good, I think lil, Scott or Anoop will end up going. Anoop was better than Kris, but I think Kris has the bigger following. My hope is that Lil goes as she is a waste. Atleast with Scott you have the carwreck phenomenon. With Lil, it's like eating slightly burnt plain toast. You can stomach it, but what's the point?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #520
Danny
Head Coach

Great performance by Adam, best of the night. I like Danny, but did not care for the arrangement on his song at all. Scott was really bad and he should go home this week.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #521
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Is that who that was? The bald guy not moving? I was wondering what his deal was.

Adam is going to win this competetion, save him sacrificing a small child during a performance (and why would he do that since he already owns the emo vote). They were arguing on the radio about why Jordan has to wait 5 years to get in the Hall of Fame. There are some players that should have an expemption on the wait period. This season, American I dol should have a new rule. Not the save (which is silly), but go ahead and crown Adam, and then make the rest of the season a fight for number two. The bonus in that is I wouldn't have to see Adam perform every week. Win-win-win.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #522
Ksyrup

I thought the first 2/3s of Danny's performance was horrible. The number of missed/off-key notes was incredible. My wife and I spent more time shooting cringing glances at each other than actually watching him. Not surprised the judges gave him a pass, though.

I really would like to see Lil gone soon. What a total waste of the R&B slot this season. Somewhere in America, that homeless chick that got passed up is probably wondering what she's got to do to catch a break. She has a better story, and now I'd say probably a better chance of doing well on AI, than Lil. I bet lungs spent the night getting high with her and consoling her while they watched last night's show from the backseat of his car.

I don't know what kind of pop career Adam is going to have, but I think he stands a good chance of being a more popular Rufus Wainwright-type (in terms of vocals and drama/musical-type performances - no way he's got Rufus' songwriting talent). They seem to attract older women by the droves. My mom absolutely loves Adam. Apparently Bill O'Reilly, about 2 months late with the "news," decided to ramp up the "gay outrage" factor and posted pics of Adam kissing guys on his show recently. What a buffoon.

I thought Kris Allen did a good job if he was auditioning for the part of Jason Mraz, but totally inapproriate for AI. No vocal range, no glory note, etc. Bizarre choice. He's like the dope-free Jason Castro this season.

Scott was horrendous again. My wife was mad at Simon for putting down Survivor. We saw them about 10 years ago, and sadly, Jimi Jamison had about as much range left as Scott showed last night. Unfortunately for Scott (and us), Scott wasn't allowed to have a backup fill in the notes he couldn't sing like Jamison did.

Allison is probably my #2 at this point, and I'm glad the judges are finally giving her some credit.

Anoop and Matt are so bland no one cares enough about whether they stay or go. They seem to be bottom-to-mid every week in the votes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-08-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #523
rjolley
College Starter

I had a lot of hope for Lil when the Top 12 started, but she has consistently disappointed every week. She really needs help picking songs. Last week, she should've been able to pick a great song for her, and she failed. For 84, there were quite a few good songs she could've picked, and Tina Turner was not a good choice. I really wonder what the choices were, because there's a lot in that year that she could've touched up and done well.

Scott has done better the last two weeks, but is still average at best. Kris is pretty forgetable, as is Matt, who I keep wanting to call Ricky for some reason. Anoop has done very well with the slower songs. I wonder if he'll go to the uptempo numbers at all, or if he'll stay in his safe zone.

Danny, Adam, and Allison have been the best this season for me. I think Adam is the current favorite. A winner outside these three would surprise me.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #524
IrishHand
Mascot

Last night was painful to me. Lambert, who I don't like, did very well. The rest of them? Ouch.

I've lost all my faith in even the illusion that the judges are being critical about the singing after the Danny feedback. He goes out and drops a total stinkbomb and they fawn over him like it was a great performance. I've debated this (the openly manipulative "judging") with wife and friends and can't come up with a logical reason for it. Yes, I know that Gokey and Lambert are likely sitting on massive fan bases and no matter what the judges say, their big 2 are going to the finals. But does that relieve them of the burden of actually being critical and assessing performances? Wouldn't it be better for subject and viewers for the judges to rip them and then fawn when it's a little more warranted? Or are they scared that might hurt sales in 10 months when they release Idol-affiliated albums?
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #525
rowech
Pro Starter

I agree with general opinions here.....

1. This has been the worst season of this show despite having what I feel, are the best finalists they've ever had.

2. The judges are insanely bias at this point. If nothing else, look who went in the last three spots last night. The three judges favorites. They put Gokey at 1 knowing he has a fan base that will carry him. The rest in the middle.

3. The crap between Simon and Paula is beyond old. Paula needs to go as she offers NOTHING to this show.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #526
Ksyrup

I've actually come around on Paula this season. Aside from Simon, I think she has offered some of the most on-point analysis/criticism this year. And that's even including the "you look beautiful" comments and some of the incoherent gibberish where she gets tongue-tied on live TV. Randy's a cartoon character, and I had great hopes for Kara, but she is such a corporate schill/whore who offers a little of each of the other three but hardly anything of her own, that if I had to vote today, I'd say dump her immediately. She's unnecessary. And those damned Dumbo ears are distracting. That was the first thing I looked for in her baby pic, BTW (not that you could miss them).

I'm glad someone else thought Danny sucked last night. What I don't get is why he is being pimped - isn't he basically another Taylor Hicks (either a rich man's or a poor man's, depending on your taste)? They went that route before and it didn't pay off. I guess you throw in the religious aspect and that's another angle to explore, but still - style-wise it seems like "been there, lost money on that."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-08-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #527
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Danny, Adam, and Allison have been the best this season for me. I think Adam is the current favorite. A winner outside these three would surprise me.

Doesn't it seem like someone from the "outside" ends up winning every season now, though? The first 4 seasons went as people expected (sorta). I didn't watch season 1, everyone knew it was pretty much coming down to Ruben and Clay in season 2, Fantasia was the front runner for most of season 3 and the same story with Carrie Underwood (with a bit of a threat from Bo Bice). But since then, the front runner(s) have dropped the ball big time.

In season 5, at this point, everyone thought it was going to come down to Katherine McPhee and Chris Daughtry. At the very least, no one thought Taylor Hicks would end up winning. Melinda was supposed to run away with it in Season 6 and didn't. Not sure about Season 7 since I didn't watch it.

But anyway, it wouldn't surpise me if someone like Kris, Matt or Lil' ends up winning since the recent trend seems to be for one of the "middle of the pack near the midpoint" contestants to win.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #528
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
But anyway, it wouldn't surpise me if someone like Kris, Matt or Lil' ends up winning since the recent trend seems to be for one of the "middle of the pack near the midpoint" contestants to win.

Season 5 they were all bunched pretty closely so that ended up being a crapshoot.

Season 6 with Melinda, it was obvious by the middle of the competition that she was who was thought she was.. a good singer, but just nothing else to distance herself.

Last year by this time it was pretty obvious that David and David were going towards the finals and I'll say it looks like Adam and Danny are headed that way right now. Kris might be gone tonight and unless Lil starts singing like herself, she will probably be gone in week 4 or 5.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #529
rowech
Pro Starter

As I've told some of my family, I don't think Allison will win but that's who is going to be the star of this group.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #530
GrantDawg

Quote:
I'm glad someone else thought Danny sucked last night. What I don't get is why he is being pimped - isn't he basically another Taylor Hicks (either a rich man's or a poor man's, depending on your taste)? They went that route before and it didn't pay off. I guess you throw in the religious aspect and that's another angle to explore, but still - style-wise it seems like "been there, lost money on that."

Ummmm...what, huh? Taylor Hicks was a gimmicky singer with limited range. Danny can sing, and is not very gimmicky (heck, he could use one). Not seeing the connection. I will agree he had a bad night, and is very under-whelming. He will end up selling a million+ records if he releases as a Christian Contemporary artist, not go all out for pop stardom. If he played the piano (which he might for all I know), he'd be Micheal W. Smith reborn.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-08-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #531
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
As I've told some of my family, I don't think Allison will win but that's who is going to be the star of this group.

I hope so. She's not going to win for sure. She doesn't seem to have gain a huge following, which is sad. She's the only one I'd actually buy a record from out of this group. She definitely needs a band, though.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #532
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Yes, this season does have a disappointing feel, though the average quality of the twelve finalists is fairly strong.

It's just more managed this season. The way they did the semi-finals kept any dark-horse favorites out of the mix. It was simply architected to use the voting to pre-test the candidates while they filled the other slots with the obvious judge favorites who didn't gain an immediate following (Megan - for Simon, Anoop - for Randy, Jasmine - for Paula, Matt - for Kara).

The production gets sloppier and sloppier. A lot of people are complaining about missing Adam's performance last night because the show went ten minutes late (I'm just glad I set my TiVo to run long, as it was the performance of the entire season).

Three judges works. Four is somewhat excruciating. I agree that Paula is becoming far more relevant and Kara is just corporate. But the Paula/Simon thing is beyond annoying. Just get rid of Kara and stick Randy in the middle.

The only surprises from the voters in the semi-finals were Kris and Allison. Kris is a throw-away to teen girls. Every season has one, sometimes they annoy you (Sanjaya) and sometimes they blend in with the scenery (Kris).

Allison has been a nice surprise, and really has made the season worth-while, despite the other disappointments. I don't know what she's going to do every week, but I enjoy it.

We have seemed inevitably headed toward a Danny/Adam final two. I would have included Lil in a final three, but she has followed the plummeting path of LaKisha, and will probably go out around 5. What I hate is they seem more blatant about what they're doing this season.

I think Danny is significantly better than Taylor, but he does have the same processed and calculated appeal, and I would never buy his albums. Adam is basically Constantine Maroulis with more packaging and a freakishly strong high range.

Looking at my scoring from past seasons... last season it was Brookie and Cookie from the start for me. Brooke's style didn't catch on, and she had a couple of off-weeks and mis-starts. Cook was fairly consistent.

In 6, I had Melinda as the runaway winner, but Jordin was a solid second, while LaKisha started very strong and faded completely. Season 5 was all about the McPheever, with Daughtry a very close second. Taylor remains the biggest fraud this show has ever uncorked upon the music world.

In 4, we had a battle between Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood from day one. It was nice to see the voting reflect that as well. To me, season 3 was a train-wreck with two finalists who wouldn't have been finalists in any other season, and I didn't watch 1 and 2 at all. I started early in season 3, after I listened to Kelly Clarkson's first album and realized the show wasn't just a sham.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #533
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ummmm...what, huh? Taylor Hicks was a gimmicky singer with limited range. Danny can sing, and is not very gimmicky (heck, he could use one). Not seeing the connection. I will agree he had a bad night, and is very under-whelming. He will end up selling a million+ records if he releases as a Christian Contemporary artist, not go all out for pop stardom. If he played the piano (which he might for all I know), he'd be Micheal W. Smith reborn.

They are both gimmicky singers with limited range. Taylor's a bit more of a character (cartoonish), but they are very similar to me. Especially when the songs are somewhat uptempo and they start dancing.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #534
Danny
Head Coach

Danny is a much better singer than Taylor though
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #535
Ksyrup

Yeah, I'll give Danny that much. In fact, I'd say he's like a cross between Taylor and Elliott Yamin (although nowhere near Elliott's voice).
Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #536
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I'll give Danny that much. In fact, I'd say he's like a cross between Taylor and Elliott Yamin (although nowhere near Elliott's voice).

He's better than Elliot (at least when he was on the show) at putting power and passion into his voice. I always like Elliot, but that's what always bothered me about him. I would wait expecting him to hit that second gear towards the end and it would never come. Danny is exceptional in that second gear, but needs to polish up the first gear.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #537
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I hope so. She's not going to win for sure. She doesn't seem to have gain a huge following, which is sad. She's the only one I'd actually buy a record from out of this group. She definitely needs a band, though.

Agreed.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #538
IrishHand
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
He's better than Elliot (at least when he was on the show) at putting power and passion into his voice. I always like Elliot, but that's what always bothered me about him. I would wait expecting him to hit that second gear towards the end and it would never come. Danny is exceptional in that second gear, but needs to polish up the first gear.

He's nowhere near as good as Elliot. The Taylor comparisons are much more apt imo.

As to the other discussion about front-runners...I seem to recall that while Doolittle was clearly the best and most polished singer of her season, there was never a point where I (or anyone I knew) thought she had a hope in hell of winning. The show has always been pretty formulaic, with last year and then this year setting even higher standards for non-suspense. My exact quote to my wife after the first finals (top 12) episode last year was "Archuleta is a lock top 2 and Cook will be the other if Idol has it's way". (I wasn't meaning to bash Cook, I simply felt that in the post-Daughtry era, the Idol machine would realize that he was most likely to both get Idol voting support AND sell records out of their top 12.) This year, I think it was obvious even before the top 12 that Danny and Lambert were locks for the finals. (Both of this heavily reflected in offshore betting, which is often the best impartial guage of such things imo.)
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #539
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHand View Post
He's nowhere near as good as Elliot. The Taylor comparisons are much more apt imo.

Read the whole statement, I said he's better at putting passion and power into his voice which he clearly is compared to when Elliot was on the show.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #540
MJ4H
Coordinator

There are some things in the previous ten or so posts I can't believe I just read. Here are a few of them:

1) Adam's performance last night was the performance of the season.
2) Danny is more like Taylor than Elliot.
3) LaKisha started strong.
4) Kris is a throw-away contestant.
5) Brooke was ever going to make it to even the semi-finals.

Pretty much all of those were like "lol wut" moments for me. I was snoozing through Adam last night. Danny embarrasses Taylor Hicks. LaKisha is in the neighborhood of Taylor as biggest frauds ever on the show. Kris is really pretty good, but had a bad performance last night. Think he definitely deserves to be there, though I can understand the other view on this one. And as for Brooke, I was in puppy love with her like a lot of other people, but she wasn't in the class of the top 3 for sure. Then she started talking back to the judges, which I think is a really bad strategy for anyone.

If there is a joke of a contestant this season it is Scott. The rest have pretty valid claims for being in the top 8 or so for sure.

I gave a pretty strong hallelujah to the "Taylor is the biggest fraud ever" line, though.

Oh and I agree with the sentiment that the top 3 should be Adam, Danny, Allison at this point in the season. I find myself rooting for Allison though I'm afraid the she has no chance to win crowd is right.

Last edited by MJ4H : 04-08-2009 at 05:28 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #541
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
...after I listened to Kelly Clarkson's first album and realized the show wasn't just a sham.

I have read this sentence 417 straight times, but I still can't get it to make any kind of sense.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #542
Easy Mac

I agree with paula that Scott is an inspiration to the world. Those people alive and buried under rubble in Italy... they're alive because Scott has fucking inspired them. He is like a cat poster come to fucking life.

I hate Paula Abdul.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #543
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I agree with paula that Scott is an inspiration to the world. Those people alive and buried under rubble in Italy... they're alive because Scott has fucking inspired them. He is like a cat poster come to fucking life.

I hate Paula Abdul.

lol

That comment made me say WHAT also
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #544
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It was just Paula's "Oh, crap, I feel guilty for not using our save after America voted off the blind guy - I better say something nice so I don't feel so dirty" moment.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #545
Schmidty
Coordinator

I forgot of about AI until my wife had me watch it again a couple weeks ago. Everything is meh, except I like Adam because he's super talented, Matt because he's from my birthplace (K-zoo), and Danny because he sounds like Reese Roper.

Other than that, I don't care. I Tivo and fast forward the next day. AI is becoming irrelevant fast.

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-09-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #546
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Danny embarrasses Taylor Hicks.

Taylor Hicks embarrasses Taylor Hicks, so you're not saying much here. I find them to be very similar, personally. They both kinda suck in the same ways. Just because Danny sucks to a lesser degree doesn't make them dissimilar. He sings better, but he's got the same overall tendencies of a Taylor, even if he's far less of a joke than Taylor was. I certainly don't see Danny making much more of a pop album sales impact than Taylor did. He'd be more of a Reuben-type winner - immediately pigeon-holed in a specific genre and perhaps doing well within those confines. Definitely not a break-out star.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #547
Ksyrup

BTW, I meant to comment on Flo Rida, who I'd never heard before - although ironically, I just heard of him for the first time last week when he was apparently wanted for questioning in an alleged animal cruelty incident here in Lexington before an appearance - and man, that was just horrible. I only heard enough to realize he was ripping off someone else's song, but also to get the gist of the lyrics he changed. I was a bit shocked that this self-proclaimed "family show" allowed a song about oral sex to be performed. I wonder if the chicks on stage were named Della Ware and Ida Ho.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-09-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #548
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm with you Ksyrup.. today's "pop" music is flat out horrible. We do play a lot of Rock Band at my house and it's really nice when my 13 year old downloads some real music to her ipod.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #549
Ksyrup

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the world's biggest rap/hip hop fan, but honestly, it's not the rapping that ruins it for me. It's the lack of music and juvenile themes/characitures that dominate the genres and offer me nothing. I actually like rap sometimes when paired with a band performing original music, and especially in smaller doses when its used for maximum effect in music you wouldn't expect to hear it. But backed with nothing more than a bass line and a "borrowed" riff/chorus? Blech. But then again, I never have enjoyed the club scene. It's just unfortunate that the genre doesn't appear capable of evolving beyond the stereotypes they are only too happy to keep throwing out to the public.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #550
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the world's biggest rap/hip hop fan, but honestly, it's not the rapping that ruins it for me. It's the lack of music and juvenile themes/characitures that dominate the genres and offer me nothing. I actually like rap sometimes when paired with a band performing original music, and especially in smaller doses when its used for maximum effect in music you wouldn't expect to hear it. But backed with nothing more than a bass line and a "borrowed" riff/chorus? Blech. But then again, I never have enjoyed the club scene. It's just unfortunate that the genre doesn't appear capable of evolving beyond the stereotypes they are only too happy to keep throwing out to the public.

obviously someone is buying it, and lots of it.

Why change a formula that works?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote