Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #501
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think people are misunderstanding me. This game is VERY GOOD. I can easily see it getting a 9.0 or 9.5. But the reviews made it out to be something it's not, and I feel upset that I fell for it (both at myself as well as the reviewers). Read some of those early reviews, they really make this game seem more than it is. A week ago, I figured GTA4 would be exactly what I know it to be now, and had planned to skip it. Then I read all these reviews that made me think I was wrong and that it was vastly different and better than previous GTA games and I got sucked into the hype. I'm not blaming Rockstar... unless they paid for those reviews.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #502
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
It would be cool if he said no to his cousin and went home to read a book instead. Now that would be a cool and realistic storyline.

Then after a few weeks you get a job working at the GAP in the mall while at night you take college classes.

This is what I was going to write.

Look, the game is called Grand Theft Auto. Those of us who buy the game are buying it to we can shoot people. And run over people. And rob stores. And assissinate people. And break things with baseball bats. Did I mention shooting people?

That's not to say your point isn't taken. The mission was stupid and poorly thought out IMHO. The follow up missions in that story arc made a lot more sense.

I know everyone can't do this, but for me, the first little bit of the story arc means nothing. Things are done more for tutorial purposes than anything. (I heard Bill Harris complain about a guy not throwing things at you as you are chasing him up a ladder. . . what he fails to mention is this is essentially a tutorial type of mission.)

The story won't start for me until I hit about the 15 to 20% mark in missions. That's when it gets interesting. (and did for all of the GTA games, not just this one.)

the "reluctance" factor is only so we start to like our character. At the end of the day, we know what our character is going to become. And it's not an employee at Old Navy. He's going to run a large scale criminal organization. This will involve murder, extortion, car bombing, prostitution, drug running, stealing and a lot of other REALLY bad things.

If the entire game has weak stories like that? Then I think the reviewers are nuts. But I need to see a lot more of the story than a tutorial mission before making that assessment.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #503
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
It would be cool if he said no to his cousin and went home to read a book instead. Now that would be a cool and realistic storyline.

Then after a few weeks you get a job working at the GAP in the mall while at night you take college classes.

i'm agree.

while i made fun of the game for not having the cops be as strict as they should, in real life what Niko would really wind up doing would be as fun as cleaning the dirt out of my fingernails. it's not called Grand Law Obiding Citizen.

i believe Tupac said it best:

"Keep your head up nigga, make these motherfuckers suffer
Up in the Benz burnin rubber
The money is mandatory, the hoes is fully strapped
This criminal lifestyle, equipped with the bulletproof vest
Make sure your eyes is on the meal ticket
Get your money motherfucker let's get rich and we'll kick it
All eyes on me
"
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #504
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
I agree. Jacob is his cousin's friend, so he helps him out. I think the nose clean portion of Niko's story ends when he figures out that Roman is a bullshitter about his situation in America. He wants to help Roman. I guess I don't look for him to have a huge moral struggle over the use of violence. You start to find out more about why he's so desensitized to it later in the story. I don't know. I don't think anyone is wrong for not liking it or anything. I was just saying that I don't agree with that opinion.

I suppose, but shouldn't he be pissed that Roman lied to him? Why would he be so easily willing to start dropping bodies for this bozo? Or, if killing people is a casual thing for him, why do they make it seem otherwise during the introduction scenes of his character?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #505
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why would he be so easily willing to start dropping bodies for this bozo?

How else is going to make cash? After all, he's an illegal immigrant it seems.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #506
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Why would he be so easily willing to start dropping bodies for this bozo?

look at your wallet when you get off the ship.

look at your wallet as soon as you beat a random guy up and pick up his money.

that is why.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #507
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Has anyone got in a cruiser yet and accessed the police files (you can do it on the internet too)? Anyways, I checked the most wanted list and took out the #1 criminal, now listed as deceased
Oh wow that sounds sweet, I haven't got the balls to steal a cop car yet, but I think I will now!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #508
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I suppose, but shouldn't he be pissed that Roman lied to him? Why would he be so easily willing to start dropping bodies for this bozo? Or, if killing people is a casual thing for him, why do they make it seem otherwise during the introduction scenes of his character?

Well, he's talking early about how when he's with his cousin, life will be easy in America. That's he's trying to get away from bad things. You actually hear him say later in the game "I thought things would be different here. Turns out not so much." or something like that. He was hoping to turn things around. It didn't work out. And he is pissed that Roman lied. You hear more about that later on in the story as well.

I guess I just don't know what as a game developer you could do in that situation. You as a player can make the choice to let them get away...the Jacob missions (at least as far as I can tell) aren't critical to the main plot.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #509
wade moore
lolzcat

I guess it's time to back out of this thread since people are starting to give the story away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #510
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I guess it's time to back out of this thread since people are starting to give the story away.

Agreed. Spoiler tags needed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #511
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

I didn't tag mine because there isn't really anything in there. Unless the names of the characters and stuff that you find out essentially in the opening credits is too much. If so, I apologize. I tried to keep it vague. I won't say anything else.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #512
Anthony
Banned

perhaps. what else is there to talk about? there's 10 pages in the thread so far, one can't assume it was all "the game isn't worth a perfect 10!!!"; "it certainly is, haterz!!!".
Old 05-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #513
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm not saying it's bad, just saying you won't be seeing posts from me. It's inevitable that this will happen at some point because everyone plays at a different pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #514
Aylmar
High School Varsity

I do so enjoy running down bikers from behind on bridges and just tapping them to watch them fly. We can talk about that.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #515
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
On the multiplayer front, I did some GTA Races tonight and might enjoy them more than any of the other modes. Makes me think back to my Road Rash days.

How awesome would Road Rash be today with online multiplayer? That would be sweet!
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #516
RainMaker
General Manager

No one is saying the game is bad, it's quite good. But you can't deny that it's more or less the same gameplay as the previous versions with a new storyline, better physics, and better graphics.

My only gripe is really the AI. Not just the cops and criminals who seemingly are the dumbest human beings alive, but civilians and drivers. The other cars on the road are clueless and get stuck easily. Instead of being parts of the city that operate individually, they are just obstacles. They had talked a lot about upgrading this area of the game, but it hasn't been.

Example: I'm on the bridge coming back from a mission. I come up to the toll and don't want to run through it and start a chase. There is a line of 3 cars. I get behind them. The car at the front is taking forever and the 2nd car tries to go around him for some reason and ends up blocking the whole toll. The third car just kind of veers to his left and stops. No one moves again, they just sit there content with their positions. This sort of thing happens at lights and intersections constantly. I would have liked to have seen more go into their driving to make the road more realistic (especially considering driving is a huge aspect of the game).

I just don't see how that can get a game a 10/10. It's a solid 9 to a 9.5 in my book.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-01-2008 at 12:41 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #517
IrishHand
Mascot

This thread is turning into spoiler central.
IrishHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #518
Anthony
Banned

close your eyes and back away from the thread.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #519
KWhit
Coordinator

Bought it yesterday. Loving it so far.

But I'm having the weird graphical pixillation and blurriness I saw mentioned earlier. It was fine for the first 3-4 hours of play and then it got noticably blurry and pixillated.

Does anybody know of a possible fix for that? 360 version, BTW.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #520
JediKooter
Coordinator

My favorite thing so far is to bust through the fences of the airport and drive as fast as I can down the runway towards the 747s that are rolling down the taxiway and then driving my car between the 2 engines on the wing while the cops are chasing me. It's funny seeing the cops try to catch up to you and they don't navigate underneath the plane correctly.

Found some of the stunt jumps. The best part about them is when you don't have a fast enough car or you didn't build up enough speed and you fall short of where you're supposed to land. The crashes are awesome.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #521
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone else noticed that there are 200 pigeons you can kill throughout the city?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #522
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Does anybody know of a possible fix for that? 360 version, BTW.

The freezing and pixelation problems are supposed to be resolved by the patch being released for both the 360 and PS3 either today or tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #523
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHand View Post
This thread is turning into spoiler central.

Yeah, I mean one person posted vague plot points and the whole damn game is ruined. Damn you Aylmar!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #524
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone else noticed that there are 200 pigeons you can kill throughout the city?

Yeah, I mentioned this is one of my spoiler posts already...
Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #525
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

WHY ALL THE SPOILERS!?!?!? IT'S NOT FAIR!!! LIFE ISN'T FAIR!!! TALKING ABOUT A VIDEOGAME IN A THREAD DEVOTED TO THAT VERY VIDEOGAME IS BOTH UNEXPECTED AND SHOCKING!!!! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #526
korme
Go Reds

For some reason I can't get online. It might be the same reason that I can't "host" online games in NBA2k. I don't know what that reason might be, though.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #527
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I saw yesterday that someone mentioned (and I believe this was the correct word used) that you could "collect" those pigeons. I found one yesterday and tried like hell to figure out how to pick the damn thing up. I'll have to go back and shoot the fucker.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #528
korme
Go Reds

Are they pink?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #529
Logan
Head Coach

Yep.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #530
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The freezing and pixelation problems are supposed to be resolved by the patch being released for both the 360 and PS3 either today or tomorrow.

Cool. I saw the post about the patch, but only saw that the freezing issue is fixed. Good news that the pixelation is too.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #531
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Cool. I saw the post about the patch, but only saw that the freezing issue is fixed. Good news that the pixelation is too.

From what I've read, the pixelation problem is somewhat like a near-freeze on this game. It doesn't load everything as quickly as it should, but it doesn't completely freeze either. I guess we'll find out for sure relatively soon.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #532
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
I didn't tag mine because there isn't really anything in there. Unless the names of the characters and stuff that you find out essentially in the opening credits is too much. If so, I apologize. I tried to keep it vague. I won't say anything else.

I'm on your side on this man. Almost everything you said was from the opening movie of the game. So you ruined the first 4 minutes of someones game who hasn't started playing it yet, 4 minutes out of 30-40 hours....oh NOOO!!

You did hint about something later on, but big deal since you gave no details really.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #533
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

As far as the AI not being upgraded, I disagree some. Yes the star system has been made easier, I haven't even used a Pay'N'Spray once yet. The pedestrians are more intelligent though. If you bump the wrong guy he will want to fight, while others try to move on with their artificial life. I have also been in a fight with a random guy on the street with other people around, none who wanted anything to do with it. Quickly after the first few punches though I see a guy getting out of a stopped car and walking over to take up the defense of the guy I was fighting and try to beat my ass. That never happened before that I remember. Around the park are joggers, two chicks when I noticed them last night. I pulled along side them and honked, to which they stopped and made a short comment before starting to jog again. I don't remember getting reactions from so many non-story people before, almost all of the people will respond to your actions in some way.

That stuff helps make it more of a living world to me. Do their actions always make since? No. I can also go out in the real world right now and find 40% of the population who to me have a few glitches and do stupid things, I can look past the dumbass GTA car driver that gets stuck.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-01-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #534
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Thanks to you bastards I sold my books back today and went to Gamestop and picked this up! I had to hold out for finals to get over or bad things would have happened!
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #535
MikeVic
Head Coach

I don't know, I was playing GTA 2 last night and I swear a guy hit me back, while most other guys just run away.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #536
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
As far as the AI not being upgraded, I disagree some. Yes the star system has been made easier, I haven't even used a Pay'N'Spray once yet. The pedestrians are more intelligent though. If you bump the wrong guy he will want to fight, while others try to move on with their artificial life. I have also been in a fight with a random guy on the street with other people around, none who wanted anything to do with it. Quickly after the first few punches though I see a guy getting out of a stopped car and walking over to take up the defense of the guy I was fighting and try to beat my ass. That never happened before that I remember. Around the park are joggers, two chicks when I noticed them last night. I pulled along side them and honked, to which they stopped and made a short comment before starting to jog again. I don't remember getting reactions from so many non-story people before, almost all of the people will respond to your actions in some way.

That stuff helps make it more of a living world to me. Do their actions always make since? No. I can also go out in the real world right now and find 40% of the population who to me have a few glitches and do stupid things, I can look past the dumbass GTA car driver that gets stuck.

Some of the stuff you mentioned was in previous versions (bumping the wrong guy). In fact, in San Andreas, I remember pulling out guys who were packing and would start firing on you.

The other things you listed are nice extras, but not part of the grand AI. I can deal with dumb civilians walking the streets to be honest. But the police is absolutely atrocious. That kills the "criminal" element of the game as you really aren't going to get in trouble ever. And the horrible driving makes the roads unrealistic.

The game is still fun and the previous versions had these same issues. I guess I expected a little more from the AI in this game after 4 years of development. I didn't expect the police to get dumber and the gameplay to be almost identical to previous versions.

So I wish the reviews were more honest about this. This is San Andreas/Vice City gameplay ported to the next generation with a new city, new physics, and new extras. You are completing the same kind of missions that you did in previous games (follow the bad guy, chase the bad guy, shoot this guy). I'll still play the hell out of this game and enjoy it, but I expected more improvements in gameplay and AI and less in the extras (TV stations, etc).
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #537
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

So I got a pretty good lead on a cop car, ran into a dead-end, reversed full speed into the oncoming cop car. The cop flew through his windshield into the back of my SUV leaving blood stains on the trunk. I love this game.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #538
Radii
Head Coach

Has anyone opened up the second island yet? I'm curious approximately how far through that happens.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #539
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Has anyone opened up the second island yet? I'm curious approximately how far through that happens.

Spoiler
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #540
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
So I wish the reviews were more honest about this. This is San Andreas/Vice City gameplay ported to the next generation with a new city, new physics, and new extras. You are completing the same kind of missions that you did in previous games (follow the bad guy, chase the bad guy, shoot this guy). I'll still play the hell out of this game and enjoy it, but I expected more improvements in gameplay and AI and less in the extras (TV stations, etc).

This is my beef. The reviews I read seem overly glowing and failed to mention some obvious detractions. I can't help but wonder if this suffered from some Kane & Lynch type 'marketing'.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #541
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure where exactly the reviews were misleading? It seemed that some people were thinking this'd be another game entirely? Did some reviews make it seem like the game wasn't going to be a GTA like game?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #542
billethius
Mascot

Yeah, it seems that the people most disappointed with the game are those who either a) bought into all the hype, or b) were apparently expecting a GTA game to be something other than a GTA game. Based on what I read, I expected a GTA game, possibly with better writing, better graphics, better physics, and a multiplayer mode - and I'm loving the game so far.

The same thing happened with Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect - people got all hyped up for it based on media coverage, and then were disappointied by what were apparently very solid games (I've never played AC, but ME had perhaps my favorite story of any game I've played).
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #543
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethius View Post
Based on what I read, I expected a GTA game, possibly with better writing, better graphics, better physics, and a multiplayer mode - and I'm loving the game so far.

Same here. I have seen exactly what the reviews talked about.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #544
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah Fidatelo I really don't follow where your problems are coming from. Not saying you shouldn't have them of course, but I don't see it...
Old 05-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #545
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I find it funny how I twice agreed today that the police are easier to get away from, and then over the last couple hours had my 3 hardest police chases yet and finally had to use the Pay'n'Spray. They seemed to do a pretty good job on those ones, it was odd.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #546
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Wow this game rocks. I'm on the subway right now waiting to get to my station. I'm sitting here with the big subway map trying to figure out where to go. I love it.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #547
Radii
Head Coach

Holy crap. If you have any issues at all with even the slightest levels of motion sickness with this game, I would recommend NOT getting drunk. UGH.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #548
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Need help already!

Spoiler

You still stuck shorty?

Spoiler
Old 05-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #549
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Wow this game rocks. I'm on the subway right now waiting to get to my station. I'm sitting here with the big subway map trying to figure out where to go. I love it.

You should try what I did on my first time at the Subway... I pushed a guy waiting for the sub onto the tracks, and then the sub ran him over. It was hilarious.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #550
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I tried to play some multiplayer tonight with a friend. After 45 minutes of being unable to match up with him or even join a match on my own (kept disconnecting me and sending me back to single player), we finally managed to get into a team deathmatch together... against one other guy.

Still, MP looks to have some potential. You can turn off the lock-on targeting, which I think is good, and it was fun driving around in a car together with one guy shooting.