Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #501
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
My wife is watching Dr. Phil. I am eating prime rib and playing WoW.

Nerd.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #502
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
+1

Michigan fans make me ill.

Well, yo momma's stank makes me ill.

Burn.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #503
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I love you. I want your scatchy goatee on my chin.

Quote:
Its not scratchy, its very soft. I use conditioner.

Get a room fellas...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #504
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think most Michigan fans will tell you it was time for change in Ann Arbor, but the smart ones will also tell you Lloyd did a great job keeping the program running and winning that 97 NC. He was loyal to a fault and he made kids men. Anyone who personally bad mouths the guy is an idiot. I loved Lloyd, but as with anything, his time as coach was done. I wish him all the best and there is a reason so many kids come back to visit, he had that kind of effect on them.

As per usual, leave it to a Michigan fan to make a nice, classy well-reasoned and intelligent response.

Hail to the victors.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #505
dime
High School JV

mich/fla was a very good game, but someone needs to tell mike hart to shut the hell up already. what a mouthy punk.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #506
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I never called for Lloyd Carr to be fired. Ever. So, back off, suckah! Lloyd Carr did a lot of great things for the school. Was it time for a change? Yeah, I think it was, but I wasn't one crying out for it. It was a great game and wonderful to see a classy, good man go out on top.

Michigan fan: "And don't let the door hit you in the a#$ on the way out!"

FWIW......The Texas Tech/Virginia game was also a very good game.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #507
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
mich/fla was a very good game, but someone needs to tell mike hart to shut the hell up already. what a mouthy punk.

Yes, he does tend to get a little... emotional.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #508
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
See, I don't get this. I am thrashed all the time because I am "hard" on U-M, the Packers, etc., but when others randomly hate on other teams, they have no vested interest in, it's cool.

I actually think it's lame to trash teams that you have nothing to do with (Patriots, ND, etc.) just because you want to them to fail, even though you have close connection with them. That, to me, is waaaaaaay more lame than the random U-M fan (puke) degrading everything OSU football does, even if they are succeeding.

I actually have no idea what my point was at this point. I basically hate everyone's team, so this is a stupid post.

Despite my life-long rooting interest for USC (although I don't call any team my favorite team), I can feel happy for them because of posters like my friend EaglesFan27 here: Knowledgable, understated, knows how to call out when appropriate and mature. (The same could be said for JW and LSU, as well as dawgfan and UW.) You start acting like an immature kid and flood these boards with stuff, then you will get slammed, esp. for a WAC team (I do admittedly have a anti-WAC-bias being a MWC proponent). If a fanatic wants to masturpost, then go to a team boards and do that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #509
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I actually agree with Bucc on this one. There is good natured trash talking and then there is just ridiculous comments. If you are going to trash talk and make outrageous clams, at least come back and own up after your team loses and you look like a fool. Don't hide for a week, then mysteriously come back after your team's next win like the previous week never happened.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #510
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post

Was half hoping that Michigan would lose because of him. I am trying to come up with someone who backed up his talk less than Hart. Except for the Notre Dame game. He went out on a limb on that one.

I was almost happy for Lloyd Carr that he won his final game, since it was Florida they beat. But then I wised up and realized it means Ohio State won't have an automatic W at the end of the season anymore.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #511
st.cronin
General Manager

So far, I thik just three teams have won their conference and their bowl game: USC, BYU, and Florida Atlantic.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #512
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Nice... Someone calls you out and you play "it's my ball, I'm going home"..

Let's take another stab..

Rutgers - http://www.scarletknights.com/cheer/

Looks like 4 males, 1 female - otherwise all white.

I just don't think there is a story here like you want to create. I like you DC, I really do - but sometimes you try to create issues where there are not any - don't be Noop, please.

Edit - corrected, totally missed several males - guess you can see where my eyes are drawn.

Nice. Anything else?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #513
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So far, I thik just three teams have won their conference and their bowl game: USC, BYU, and Florida Atlantic.

Yeah, but 5 conference champions have yet to play (Ohio State, LSU, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech), and of course 4 of them play against each other.

So, Central Michigan (MAC), UCF (Conf USA), and Hawaii (WAC) have won their conference and failed to win their Bowl Game. Though at least Central Michigan and UCF's games were close.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #514
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

True, but five conference champions haven't even played their bowl games yet.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #515
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Was half hoping that Michigan would lose because of him. I am trying to come up with someone who backed up his talk less than Hart. Except for the Notre Dame game. He went out on a limb on that one.

I was almost happy for Lloyd Carr that he won his final game, since it was Florida they beat. But then I wised up and realized it means Ohio State won't have an automatic W at the end of the season anymore.

While Mike Hart had a huge mouth and certainly said quite a few things he shouldn't have, he had a remarkable career. He's the fourth all-time rusher in the Big Ten and third all-time in rushing TD's in Michigan's history.

Michigan really played an inspired game yesterday. If it wasn't for the two goaline fumbles, the game could have easily been a rout. Michigan gained over 500 yards an offense and appeared to move the ball at will. Florida got very little pressure on Henne, whereas Michigan's front four were constantly in Tebow's face. Florida still gashed Michigan for a lot of yards and points, that Harvin kid is fantastic, but Michigan's defense did the best they have in recent years against a spread offense like that.

Having a healthy Henne and Hart certainly helped, but Michigan was more aggressively both offensively and defensively yesterday than they have been in years. Michigan usually seems to take the approach that they will just line up, do what they always do, and challenge the other team to stop them. That doesn't always work. Yesterday, they pulled out a number of trick plays, reverses, threw the ball down field and really put a lot of pressure on Florida's young secondary. It was an inspired coaching performance, though it really left you wondering why wait to this game to start calling games like that.

Same thing defensively. Michigan blitzed more in that game than I can ever recall seeing a Michigan team blitz. They were agressive and were able to contain Tebow and force to consistently try to make passes off his back foot.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #516
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
... But then I wised up and realized it means Ohio State won't have an automatic W at the end of the season anymore.

The Ohio State final regular season game will be an atuomatic win until Jim Tressel retires. it has absolutely nothing to do with Michigan's coaching staff. its all about Tress. Prepare for long term losing of the big game.

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #517
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I knew no one would get it. I don't know why I bothered. Stupid me. Carry on with the game, that's far more interesting than this discussion would be. I'm done with it.

Brilliant. How about the next time you're not willing to follow up on something, maybe you don't even bring it up in the first place? Thanks!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #518
sooner333
College Starter

I think Hawaii belonged in the BCS. It's not easy to say that now after what happened, but they went through their schedule unblemished and the new rules are supposed to give teams like Hawaii a chance to prove themselves against another highly ranked team.

Let's keep in mind that it was only one year ago where Boise State knocked off my alma mater in the Fiesta Bowl. It was the most exciting game I had ever been to and I could barely see the OT from my seats in the opposite endzone. Sure, it was painful to watch OU lose to Boise--especially after a valliant comeback from the Sooners. But, it is fair to say that Boise proved their worth after that game as a solid team worthy of competing with one of the big boys. Why not give Hawaii the same chance? It's easy to deny them after they didn't do well, but they still deserved a chance to try.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #519
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I think Hawaii belonged in the BCS. It's not easy to say that now after what happened, but they went through their schedule unblemished and the new rules are supposed to give teams like Hawaii a chance to prove themselves against another highly ranked team.

Let's keep in mind that it was only one year ago where Boise State knocked off my alma mater in the Fiesta Bowl. It was the most exciting game I had ever been to and I could barely see the OT from my seats in the opposite endzone. Sure, it was painful to watch OU lose to Boise--especially after a valliant comeback from the Sooners. But, it is fair to say that Boise proved their worth after that game as a solid team worthy of competing with one of the big boys. Why not give Hawaii the same chance? It's easy to deny them after they didn't do well, but they still deserved a chance to try.

Spot on.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #520
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post

Nice post. Hawaii got blown apart. That's fine. It happens. The final rankings will take that into account. It doesn't mean that you deny everyone opportunity. You have to accept failure from teams. The BCS teams get blown out sometimes, too.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #521
Atocep
Coordinator

Now that there's 10 teams involved in the BCS I don't have too much of a problem with throwing a mid-major a bone if they make it through their season undefeated or in some cases one loss. However, Boise was the exception as far as being competitive goes, not the rule. Last night Hawaii showed how much of a talent gap there is between your typical top mid-major and your typical top BCS school.

Last year's Boise team was a very good team that beat a 10-win Oregon State team 42-14 during the regular season and the only team they should have beaten badly that they struggled against was Wyoming. This year's Hawaii team had played no one that would have finished better than the bottom 2 in a BCS conference. Boise also played a very overrated and beatable OU team. OU was still a very good team last season and I'm not trying to diminish Boise's accomplishment, but the Sooners were a weak team in the BCS.

If non-BCS conference teams want to be taken seriously they need to start doing whatever it takes to improve their non-conference schedules. There's little to no benefit, in most cases, for a BCS school to travel to play a non-BCS school. This falls squarely on the shoulders of Hawaii, Boise's, and other school's athletic directors to be willing to travel anywhere to improve their schedules if they want a shot at the BCS dollars. If they don't want to schedule good teams then they need to either get their asses in 1-AA or stop dreaming about playing in the BCS.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #522
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Now that there's 10 teams involved in the BCS I don't have too much of a problem with throwing a mid-major a bone if they make it through their season undefeated or in some cases one loss. However, Boise was the exception as far as being competitive goes, not the rule. Last night Hawaii showed how much of a talent gap there is between your typical top mid-major and your typical top BCS school.

Last year's Boise team was a very good team that beat a 10-win Oregon State team 42-14 during the regular season and the only team they should have beaten badly that they struggled against was Wyoming. This year's Hawaii team had played no one that would have finished better than the bottom 2 in a BCS conference. Boise also played a very overrated and beatable OU team. OU was still a very good team last season and I'm not trying to diminish Boise's accomplishment, but the Sooners were a weak team in the BCS.

If non-BCS conference teams want to be taken seriously they need to start doing whatever it takes to improve their non-conference schedules. There's little to no benefit, in most cases, for a BCS school to travel to play a non-BCS school. This falls squarely on the shoulders of Hawaii, Boise's, and other school's athletic directors to be willing to travel anywhere to improve their schedules if they want a shot at the BCS dollars. If they don't want to schedule good teams then they need to either get their asses in 1-AA or stop dreaming about playing in the BCS.

Good post. A lot of how seriously you get taken goes back to who you play out of conference. Fresno State was taken seriously for awhile in '01 because they beat Oregon State and Wisconsin. Boise played Oregon State last year. This year Hawaii and Boise were essentially playing eachother for a BCS bid and it was worst vs. second-to-wrost schedules in the nation.

I think sometimes its hard for good mid-majors to get games. But at some point you just need to have a Pat Hill mentality if you want to take your program to the next level. Hawaii probably won't have that problem because you'll get your occasional big name wanting to spend the holidays in the islands. This year seems to be an exception, rather than a rule--they've played USC and Alabama int he past five years and next year have a good schedule. Boise just needs to suck it up and play on the road. Nobody wants to go to Boise and play on the blue turf. They can only live off of the Fiesta Bowl so long--after tonight the latest Fiesta will still have Oklahoma, but they will have been replaced and a few years from now that game will be a distant memory outside of the state of Idaho.

Oklahoma was a weaker BCS team than some last year, and much weaker than this year's Sooners. Peterson was coming off of injury Thompson moved from WR to QB in the preseason, and we just had a nice run after losing to Texas early on. The team did go 10-3 though, and that includes the "loss" at Oregon. The Sooners weren't as good as Georgia this year, but I don't think they were the worst BCS team from last year. Michigan was probably on-par and Notre Dame was worse...as were Wake Forest and probably Louisville as well.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #523
MJ4H
Coordinator

Now that was a freaking awesome national anthem by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Last night's Bonerama national anthem was pretty sweet, too. I dig it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #524
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Fiesta Bowl is about to start! Last night's games were as exciting as a Democratic Iowa Caucus, so I'm expecting much better tonight! I think the Sooners will win. They were embarrassed last year by Boise State and are seeking vindication.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #525
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Now that was a freaking awesome national anthem by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Last night's Bonerama national anthem was pretty sweet, too. I dig it.

I'm glad the bowls, at least the BCS ones, aren't going for the big hit artists, and keeping it simple.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #526
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Another prediction from Astrosfan.

West Virginia and the win.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #527
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Another prediction from Astrosfan.

West Virginia and the win.

SOB....
Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #528
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Well that accepted penalty backfired...
Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #529
Jas_lov
College Starter

FG gives WV the early lead, 3-0!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #530
Jas_lov
College Starter

73 yard kickoff return for the Sooners!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #531
Jas_lov
College Starter

BRAFORD INTERCEPTED! OKLAHOMA SQUANDERS THE GREAT RETURN!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #532
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
SOB....

Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #533
Jas_lov
College Starter

Another FG puts WV up 6-0! That is one excited interim head coach!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #534
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I don't think OU expected WVU to be as fast as they are...impressive showing on both sides of the ball by the Mounties so far. Even if I'm a VT guy, I'm rooting for them.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #535
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
I don't think OU expected WVU to be as fast as they are....

OU fully expected it. Brent Venables (DC) and the players have said repeatedly over the past weeks how amazed they are are WVU's speed.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 01-02-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #536
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Great. All-American WR Kelly isn't even playing, now Iglesias is hurt.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #537
Jas_lov
College Starter

FG Fest! Oklahoma gets on the board, 6-3 WV.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #538
astrosfan64
College Prospect

OWEN is pretty fast for a big man.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #539
Jas_lov
College Starter

TOUCHDOWN WEST VIRGINIA! OKLAHOMA IS SUCKING IT UP AGAIN!!!! 13-3 WV!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #540
Atocep
Coordinator

If my neighbors are watching they know I'm a WVU fan now.

If not, they're probably wondering what the hell is going on over here.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #541
Jas_lov
College Starter

Oklahoma blows another opporunity inside the 10 yard line. Settled for the FG. 13-6 WV.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #542
Jas_lov
College Starter

TOUCHDOWN WEST VIRGINIA!!!!!!! 20-6! This one could get ugly. Oklahoma is terrible.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #543
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

HUGE STOP!!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #544
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

They aren't terrible. They're missing half their best playmakers.

The defense is same old OU. They are great when you let them gang up on you, but if you isolate them, you can run right around them. WVU has too much speed in too many spots for OU, I think.

Still, once WVU's defense starts wearing down, OU will come back. Sam Bradford is supernaturally accurate, he'll get his. WVU needs to not let up.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #545
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
They aren't terrible. They're missing half their best playmakers.

The defense is same old OU. They are great when you let them gang up on you, but if you isolate them, you can run right around them. WVU has too much speed in too many spots for OU, I think.

Still, once WVU's defense starts wearing down, OU will come back. Sam Bradford is supernaturally accurate, he'll get his. WVU needs to not let up.

Are we in an alternate universe or something? You are defending the Sooners?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #546
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It's conference pride. This is the only time of the year I pull for Michigan and Ohio State.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #547
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Oklahoma is terrible.
Give credit where credit is due. West Virginia's only losses this season were in games where a) the opposition has a few years experience in trying to defend the WVU spread and b) Pat White was hurt. From where I'm sitting, this is more about a Pat White-led WVU simply being as good (or better) than a very good OU team.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #548
Jas_lov
College Starter

Let's hope you're right and this turns into a good game! Right now, I'm thinking that Okahoma should have been the ones matched up with Hawaii! LOL! Sooners block the FG to keep it at 20-6! WV gets the ball to start the 2nd half.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #549
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Also, wtf was WVU trying to do there in the last minute? A handoff to the FB? Weird.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #550
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

We're 30 mins away from Swaggs burning his couch!