Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #501
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So, apparently there is a decent chance of a deal being made for Jared Allen. Supposedly the Vikings and Buccaneers are interested.

May be a chance for Herm Edwards to make another first round selection.

Well, since the offer is for a 1st and 2nd in the 2009 draft, Herm won't have to worry about it because he won't be here (or King Karl if he makes this trade).
Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #502
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
With all the shit the Bengals have fed to the media about him, I don't blame him. He's not a "lockerroom cancer", hes goofy.

He plays hard, practices hard, and is a great football player. The bengals defense just continues to be atrocious, and yet they're trying to blame him for them not getting to the playoffs.

So, do you watch any Bengals games?

He is a classic "me first" player. He whines, he pouts, he shouts at QBs who don't throw him the ball enough. He was actually not that great last year. He had I don't know how many drops. He had tons of catches, but TJ Houshmandzadeh had become the team's go-to receiver in tough situations. Nearly every game, you can count on him to come up with some kind of "injury" during the game that he will run off after about 3 minutes. I don't know why he does that, if he is just that fragile (and history suggests he is not, he hasn't missed many games), or if he does it for more attention.

I'm not saying the Bengals won't miss him if they trade him. They will miss him big-time. But I have grown increasingly tired of his act, this past year especially. If he comes back, I'm sure not going to support his schtick any more. And if he leaves, I won't shed a tear.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #503
Izulde
Head Coach

I really hope the Dolphins take Gholston at #1 if they don't trade down.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #504
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I really hope the Dolphins take Gholston at #1 if they don't trade down.

I think Gholston's going to be a rather large bust. For his size and speed, he rarely play dominant (and I watched a good amount of OSU games the last couple of years). Taking an inconsistent edge rusher #1 is a huge reach.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #505
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
I think Gholston's going to be a rather large bust. For his size and speed, he rarely play dominant (and I watched a good amount of OSU games the last couple of years). Taking an inconsistent edge rusher #1 is a huge reach.

I don't get this guy either. I don't think I ever heard of him before last year's Michigan/Ohio State game. Granted, he dominated that game, but I would think that if he was really worthy of the #1 pick (or top 5 pick) that I would have heard of him before then, especially since he was in the Big 10.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:12 PM   #506
Izulde
Head Coach

So who would you guys pick if you were the Dolphins GM?

Admittedly I didn't get a chance to watch any football last year because I was in Spain, so I haven't been able to see much.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #507
st.cronin
General Manager

The Dolphins will almost definitely pick somebody named Long.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #508
st.cronin
General Manager

Dola, as to who they SHOULD pick, I would say Chris Long over Jake Long by the tiniest of margins. They both seem like pretty safe bets to be very good. The other top picks all have some question marks - Dorsey seems like a big injury risk, Ryan throws a lot of interceptions, and Gholston is maybe too 1-dimensional to make sense as a top pick.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #509
Dunleavy
High School JV

the dolphins seem to be bluffing jake long to see if he'll take less money. if jake doesnt blink then i'm now sure what happens. i mean gholston has the same agent as jake.
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #510
Dunleavy
High School JV

the vikes-kcc-allen deal is in advanced stages with allen visiting in minny. it would be nice to get this deal done as it changes the draft quite a bit
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #511
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would take Dorsey.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #512
gkb
High School Varsity

I think I would take Chris Long with the #1 pick. I agree with cronin's assessment.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #513
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Pill Parcels will almost 100 % likely to draft a defensive player. hes always been about defense and this will be no different. DE Long or DT Dorsey.

And as a Vikes fan i hope they get Allen, theyve been searching for a DE ever since they got rid of Doleman all those years ago. i cant remeber how many 1st day picks theyve spent on DE's trying to fill that hole
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #514
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Ping stevew

Well at least we got Max Starks to finally sign that tender offer

If he's smart, no way he signs an extension now. If he plays like crap (or doesn't play at all) he's making nearly $7M.

If he plays really well, he'll get about about triple the amount next offseason compared to what he'd get extending with the Steelers now.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #515
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Well at least we got Max Starks to finally sign that tender offer

If he's smart, no way he signs an extension now. If he plays like crap (or doesn't play at all) he's making nearly $7M.

If he plays really well, he'll get about about triple the amount next offseason compared to what he'd get extending with the Steelers now.

Yep, colbert at his finest.

BTW, be careful to click on any links about Santonio in the near future. Let's just say there's one out there that puts last years Reed picture to shame.

Last edited by stevew : 04-22-2008 at 10:09 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #516
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yep, colbert at his finest.

BTW, be careful to click on any links about Santonio in the near future. Let's just say there's one out there that puts last years Reed picture to shame.

Heard about the picture on the radio this morning...and I'm afraid.

Could Santonio pictures be the second coming of Pumpy pics?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #517
JeeberD
General Manager

Awww, christ. Why did I have to try and figure out what you were talking about. At least the one I saw was edited...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #518
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Could Santonio pictures be the second coming of Pumpy pics?

The Santonio pics are Pumpy pics.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #519
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think the entire town should be afraid if it gets loose.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #520
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Awww, christ. Why did I have to try and figure out what you were talking about. At least the one I saw was edited...

Please tell me you know of NO Lee mays pics...
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #521
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I think the entire town should be afraid if it gets loose.

"it" being the picture...or....
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #522
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The Santonio pics are Pumpy pics.

Pumphandled shotgun... nice
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #523
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

oh dear god
Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #524
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Dolphins and Jake Long agree to terms.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #525
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Dolphins and Jake Long agree to terms.

Go Blue!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #526
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Pill Parcels will almost 100 % likely to draft a defensive player. hes always been about defense and this will be no different. DE Long or DT Dorsey.

And as a Vikes fan i hope they get Allen, theyve been searching for a DE ever since they got rid of Doleman all those years ago. i cant remeber how many 1st day picks theyve spent on DE's trying to fill that hole

Still 100% on this one?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #527
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The one piece of leverage the Bengals have is the HOF. Chad won't get there without another few seasons of 1000+ receiving. If I were Marvin I'd let it be known to Rosenhaus that if Chad ever wants to be a member of the HOF he'd better show up and play hard. I'd even threaten to sit him one week for every week he misses of mandatory activities.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #528
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The one piece of leverage the Bengals have is the HOF. Chad won't get there without another few seasons of 1000+ receiving. If I were Marvin I'd let it be known to Rosenhaus that if Chad ever wants to be a member of the HOF he'd better show up and play hard. I'd even threaten to sit him one week for every week he misses of mandatory activities.

Are we really talking about the HOF?

I got pummeled earlier in this thread for even suggesting some people would push for Shaun Alexander.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #529
SFL Cat
College Starter

If I were the Dolphins, I think I would've gone for Chris Long. The Dolphins did okay with a top notch defense and a mediocre offense for years. When the D finally collapsed during the past couple of years, especially in the secondary, that's when the Fins' record bottomed out.

Having someone like Long on the other side of the line might also revitalize Jason Taylor, allowing him to have another MVP season like 2006.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 04-22-2008 at 07:20 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #530
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
If I were the Dolphins, I think I would've gone for Chris Long. The Dolphins did okay with a top notch defense and a mediocre offense for years. When the D finally collapsed during the past couple of years, especially in the secondary, that's when the Fins' record bottomed out.

Having someone like Long on the other side of the line might also revitalize Jason Taylor, allowing him to have another MVP season like 2006.

I thought that winning championships was the goal. I didn't realize that doing "okay" was all teams shoot for in the NFL. I guess, by your reasoning, all those non-championships the Dolphins won means they're using the right strategy after all. ; )

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #531
SFL Cat
College Starter

Apparently, you missed my meaning. I guess I should have been more clear and said the Dolphins did OK, even though their offense was pedestrian BECAUSE of their defense. If they had a decent offense, they probably could have reached the championship (see Baltimore Ravens 2000). The Fins just didn't have much luck trying to upgrade their offense during that time through the draft or free agency.

The Chargers of the late 70s early 80s could light it up like few other offenses I've ever seen. But they never made it to the Super Bowl because of their defense. The 85 Bears had an average to decent offense, but an AWESOME defense with a great scheme...and they're recognized as one of the greatest teams in history.

I stick by my choice, if it comes down to a potential stud o-lineman or a stud playmaking DE, I'd go with the DE every time.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 04-22-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 AM   #532
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Apparently, you missed my meaning. I guess I should have been more clear and said the Dolphins did OK, even though their offense was pedestrian BECAUSE of their defense. If they had a decent offense, they probably could have reached the championship (see Baltimore Ravens 2000). The Fins just didn't have much luck trying to upgrade their offense during that time through the draft or free agency.

The Chargers of the late 70s early 80s could light it up like few other offenses I've ever seen. But they never made it to the Super Bowl because of their defense. The 85 Bears had an average to decent offense, but an AWESOME defense with a great scheme...and they're recognized as one of the greatest teams in history.

I stick by my choice, if it comes down to a potential stud o-lineman or a stud playmaking DE, I'd go with the DE every time.

I didn't miss your meaning whatsoever. My post was more tongue-in-cheek, but I think it holds merit. Add that the Dolphins have only two tackles on their roster (though I think they signed someone yesterday, not Long), a young QB (experience-wise) and a young RB. They have a chance to get a core to their offense for several years.

I'm generally not one to question Bill Parcells on roster management, either. He seems to do a good job of assessing a team and selecting the right player.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #533
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are we really talking about the HOF?

I got pummeled earlier in this thread for even suggesting some people would push for Shaun Alexander.

Right now, no, but if he puts up another 3 or 4 years of his average stats and quite possibly. More importantly, he thinks he'll be HOF material and that may be a threat that will work against him.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #534
JeeberD
General Manager

Crap...it looks like it's happening for real this time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3364138

|
|
|
|
V

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #535
flounder
High School Varsity

At least it's only a 4th rounder.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #536
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3364138

|
|
|
|
V

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8066244?MSNHPHMA

Glazer has the pick for playing time as a 2009 6th rounder. The Titans will send a 2009 4th rounder if Goodell does not reinstate Pacman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouder
At least it's only a 4th rounder.

Based on skill level, it's a good deal but add in the asshattery and it is meh.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #537
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8066244?MSNHPHMA

Glazer has the pick for playing time as a 2009 6th rounder. The Titans will send a 2009 4th rounder if Goodell does not reinstate Pacman.

Based on skill level, it's a good deal but add in the asshattery and it is meh.

Great deal for the Titans to get two picks for this moron. He probably will play but he won't ever stay out of trouble long enough to make giving even a 4th rounder (in a strong draft for the Titans needs) and a 6th.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #538
Galaril
Pro Starter

Also, I guess there is a condition that if he plays and plays "well" the 2009 pick could be upgraded to a 2nd.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #539
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

Oh great! First T.O., now Pacman.

With Michael Irvin long retired, I guess Jerry Jones is missing all the off-the-field action that was a staple of Big D in the 90s.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #540
BishopMVP
Coordinator

As a Patriots fan I would've done that trade for Pac-Man if I thought he would be reinstated. I think people underestimate/forget just how good he was. Other than Champ Bailey, he was probably the best CB in the league before the suspension, and a great return man as well. Even if it's only 1 season, what are the odds a (mid-late) 2/4 and 6 ever pan out close to that?

On Chad Johnson, anyone who knows more I'm curious if you've heard how he started playing football (at least for college.) From what I heard, he was walking by practice for the CC he later attended, said he could do better than those guys, walked on the field in street shoes and started burning every CB and catching every ball thrown near him. Started as a joke for the players, but within 10 minutes the coach was doing everything he could to get him enrolled and eligible. Any truth to that story?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #541
Huckleberry
College Starter

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...1081pats1.html

Saw this link elsewhere.

Funny.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #542
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is from a Cowboys fan on another forum I post at:

Quote:
Dallas should sign Osama bin Laden at WR. He's 6'4" and no one can catch him.

LOL!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #543
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
This is from a Cowboys fan on another forum I post at:

LOL!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #544
MikeVic
Head Coach

What the... talk about a least likely NFL suspect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378829
Old 05-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #545
MikeVic
Head Coach

Dola

At least now the Bengals can trade Chad Johnson to the Colts for Harrison and a pick.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #546
Logan
Head Coach

Obviously he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but if anything does come of this it will be interesting to hear what those who constantly talked up his clean professional image have to say.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #547
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Obviously he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but if anything does come of this it will be interesting to hear what those who constantly talked up his clean professional image have to say.

No matter how bad this incident is, I don't see how it erases the evidence of his past behavior.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #548
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I like Mike McCarthy, and I am glad I was wrong about him. His answers to a couple of questions at the mini-camp ammused me...

Quote:
(How come Favre's locker is still in tact?)
Who do you want me to put in there?

(Isn't it just a locker?)
I think it's more than a locker, and there's some plans for the locker that will be addressed in the future. But there's nothing else to it. I wouldn't want his locker, especially after his hygiene, my goodness. It's a locker of a very special player in the history of our organization, and there are some plans for the future, and we'll address that when it comes. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-03-2008 at 04:17 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:25 AM   #549
Groundhog
Coordinator

And the winner of the 'Promising Start to a Career' award goes to Washington Redskins 2nd round draft choice, former USC TE Fred Davis misses minicamp practice:

"Everybody was scouring," coach Jim Zorn said after practice. "Nobody heard from him, so there was one of two scenarios. Either there was some real trouble and we needed to find him, or he screwed up. I haven't even got to talk to him yet. I know he has been found. I believe it is more in the 'I screwed up' category."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 05-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

Falcons linebacker Michael Boley was arrested and charged with battery Saturday, according to the Gwinnett County Detention Center's online booking records.

The 25-year-old linebacker, a rising star in the NFL and one of the team's more popular players, was released on $1,200 bond. Details of the arrest were not available. A Gwinnett County police spokesperson said Sunday he had no information.

The 2005 fifth-round draft pick, who resides in Dacula, has been tabbed as one of the building blocks for a franchise still reeling from the imprisonment of quarterback Michael Vick.

Falcons vice president of football communications Reggie Roberts did not provide details but said, "The Falcons organization is aware of the situation and will have no comment at this time."

The news of Boley's arrest comes when the team has stressed the importance of character among its players and employees after a tumultuous year. Vick is serving a 23-month sentence at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary Camp on federal charges related to dogfighting.

The tarnish to the franchise's image was compounded by a miserable 4-12 season, which included the resignation of coach Bobby Petrino with three games remaining.

Though he signed a one-year contract tender for just more than $2 million last month, Boley and the Falcons were negotiating a long-term contract extension.

The third-year outside linebacker was among the team's leading tacklers (110, four forced fumbles, two interceptions) last season and is arguably its best player.

Besides his skills on the field, Boley has drawn praise for actively caring for his autistic son and being a spokesman for the disorder.