Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #501
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Updated numbers for July 07. Note the source is vgchartz.com, so there will be some variance from these numbers compared to what comes out on the NPD numbers......

http://vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=471
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #502
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The issue has only been adressed with the Elite units currently on the market. It now has a bigger heat sink. The Core and Premium units currently in stock still have the old defective heat sinks. It's likely that they are now producing Core and Premium units with a better heat sink, but we won't see those for awhile until they sell the current stock, so it's impossible to know until that point. Right now, the Elite unit is the only unit on the shelves that has been fixed. The newer Elite units also have been known to get the RROD error, but it has been at a much lower level than the old versions.

Microsoft's silence doesn't mean the problem isn't known. The heat problems in the console have been known to be the issue for quite some time. MS just refuses to take the PR hit to admit it.

It might be a heat issue, but there are ways other than replacing a heat sink to address heat issues (at least in PCs and I assume the same would be the case for a console). So what I'm saying is that it's not really possible to know if MS did something else to address the heat issue based on the fact they didn't replace the heat sink.

I'm not saying they did address the issue, just that I don't think the fact that the heat sink is the same is really proof they didn't.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #503
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Updated numbers for July 07. Note the source is vgchartz.com, so there will be some variance from these numbers compared to what comes out on the NPD numbers......

http://vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=471

Aren't those the same numbers as the one's you posted on Friday? I'm not seeing any difference anyway.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #504
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
It might be a heat issue, but there are ways other than replacing a heat sink to address heat issues (at least in PCs and I assume the same would be the case for a console). So what I'm saying is that it's not really possible to know if MS did something else to address the heat issue based on the fact they didn't replace the heat sink.

I'm not saying they did address the issue, just that I don't think the fact that the heat sink is the same is really proof they didn't.

I'm not sure what else could be done to alleviate the heat problem and make a major difference. But your point is certainly valid. There may be another way to do it outside of those two main problem areas that could resolve the problem.

I think the engineer's point is that the heat issue certainly wasn't helped by a poorly designed heat sink and a slower than needed fan.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #505
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure what else could be done to alleviate the heat problem and make a major difference. But your point is certainly valid. There may be another way to do it outside of those two main problem areas that could resolve the problem.

I think the engineer's point is that the heat issue certainly wasn't helped by a poorly designed heat sink and a slower than needed fan.

For the record, my biggest problem was their methodology. All they did was test the old one and say "Hey this thing gets hot", then opened up the repaired one and said "Hey this one looks the same as the old one, so it probably gets hot too".

They might be completely right with their conclusions, but they certainly didn't prove anything and honestly, I think it looks suspect that they didn't test the repaired unit and report those numbers at the very minimum.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #506
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
For the record, my biggest problem was their methodology. All they did was test the old one and say "Hey this thing gets hot", then opened up the repaired one and said "Hey this one looks the same as the old one, so it probably gets hot too".

They might be completely right with their conclusions, but they certainly didn't prove anything and honestly, I think it looks suspect that they didn't test the repaired unit and report those numbers at the very minimum.

Good point. Totally agree with that.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #507
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah. That article had a clear enough bias that I am thinking that the lack of testing of the repaired box does not represent a mistaken omission.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #508
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
After all these months I'll finally bite. What is this boards' big interest with monthly sales numbers for console games?

Many people on the board are interested in video games. To most, it does not make economic sense to buy every console that comes out. People want the consoles that they own to sell well because it increases the chances of more good games coming out on the one or two they have purchased. In theory, these good games increase the console sales, which bring more good games, etc.

Sales -> Games -> Sales -> Games

Also, a lot of people just find the numbers interesting in the same way other people like knowing how much certain movies grossed and there's probably other examples.

The fanboy arguments that erupt due to the importance (to some) of sales figures and strange personal attachments to particular companies can also be rather humorous. Spin, damage control, outrageous bias, it's all here and often entertaining to read.

Month after month there is always something different to analyze. July will have the PS3 price drop, August might have an XBox360 price drop and we'll see how Madden does on various platforms, September will have the Halo boost and by then we'll know what kind of legs the PS3 might have at $500, and on and on...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #509
MJ4H
Coordinator

I am happy to play the part of Nintendo fan-boy, incidentally.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #510
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty nice deal available that Bill Harris posted.......60 GB PS3 for $365 shipped.....

http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2007/08/...3-for-349.html
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #511
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft PR
Microsoft Corp. today kicked off the greatest holiday lineup in video game history by announcing it will reduce the estimated retail price (ERP) of Xbox 360™ by $50 (U.S.) beginning Aug. 8. Soon to follow, Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) will release its blockbuster video game title “Madden NFL 08” on Aug. 14. “Madden NFL Football,” one of the most important mass-appeal franchises in video games, was the top-selling game of 2006 and is the top-selling franchise of the past 10 years. Only Xbox 360 offers a console for all interests and budgets.

“The fact that we have been able to keep our launch price longer than any other console while retaining our leadership position demonstrates that consumers believe in the value of Xbox 360,” said Mitch Koch, corporate vice president, Global Retail Sales and Marketing Group, Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. “On the eve of the best holiday games lineup ever and the launch of ‘Madden NFL 08,’ there has never been a better time to jump into Xbox 360.”

Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on Aug. 8. At a new ERP of $349.99 (U.S.), Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20GB hard drive, wireless controller, Xbox 360 headset, and more. For those looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize their console as they see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an ERP of $279.99 (U.S.). Xbox 360 Core System provides everything needed to start gaming while giving consumers the ability to add new features and accessories they want. Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at an ERP of $449.99 (U.S.) for those who want the premium games and entertainment experience. In anticipation of this year’s largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo® 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with an ERP of $399.99 (U.S.). Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console will include a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, an Xbox 360 Play and Charge Kit, and more.

Starts Wednesday, for anybody who cares.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #512
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

July console sales numbers in Japan. Wii numbers remain steady. PS3 has 200% sales surge due to Minna no Golf 5 release........

Wii.........396,752
PS3.........91,987
Old 08-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #513
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The price cuts SackAttack mentioned aren't all that good overall. I'm not sure they're enough to boost major interest.

The most interesting part of that sales release was that they're creating a Halo 3 bundle. That should help the 360 sales more than any of the price cuts. With those bundles being packaged recently, I wonder if they are the old console overstock that they're trying to move out the door or if those are newly designed consoles. Who knows if we'll ever know given MS's relative silence on the issue.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #514
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

MS should have gone for the throat with $299 for the basic 20GB 360. That said, I have no idea how much these things cost them to make or when their new, less broken versions are coming out, and how much those affect the cost.

I bet Nintendo beats their "longest passage of time before price drop" record next year.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #515
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like this morning's Wii update will render modded Wii's useless. But at least Nintendo was nice enough to tell the user in advance.......

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/w...-modded-conso/
Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #516
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm sure there will be an outcry from people who modded their console - another case of people blaming someone else for their illegal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #517
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Bioshock which comes out in 2 weeks on the 360 is getting rave reviews. Several outlets are calling it the best 360 game to date and are giving it perfect scores. Here is a link to one of several of previews/reviews:

http://www.gamer411.com/forum/2076/1...o_come_in.html
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #518
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Bioshock which comes out in 2 weeks on the 360 is getting rave reviews. Several outlets are calling it the best 360 game to date and are giving it perfect scores. Here is a link to one of several of previews/reviews:

http://www.gamer411.com/forum/2076/1...o_come_in.html

Is that one shipping today or next week?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #519
spleen1015
Coordinator

It comes out on 8/21.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #520
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Is that one shipping today or next week?

The short, two-line post you quoted has that answer...

edit:

Last edited by MikeVic : 08-07-2007 at 11:53 AM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #521
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
It comes out on 8/21.

Review lead times are getting ridiculous. You wonder how much they rush to be the very first site to review the game at the cost of not fully exploring all of the features of the game. Lair was a similar situation in that it was reviewed 2 weeks before the release date, only to find that it was delayed.

I'm certainly not implying in any way that the early Bioshock scores aren't accurate. I just don't know why sites can't hold off a bit and explore the game more.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #522
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The short, two-line post you quoted has that answer...

edit:

It's alright. You can call me an idiot. No need to beat around the bush.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #523
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Review lead times are getting ridiculous. You wonder how much they rush to be the very first site to review the game at the cost of not fully exploring all of the features of the game. Lair was a similar situation in that it was reviewed 2 weeks before the release date, only to find that it was delayed.

I'm certainly not implying in any way that the early Bioshock scores aren't accurate. I just don't know why sites can't hold off a bit and explore the game more.

I know this was probably at least somewhat rhetorical - but...

Which site are the masses going to go to? The site that has the review 5 days before, or the one that has it 10 days before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #524
MikeVic
Head Coach

I agree with the fact that I hate when review sites seem to rush through a game. I would like if they played it more at a normal pace if they review the game this early. So that the review comes out closer to the release date.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #525
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I agree with the fact that I hate when review sites seem to rush through a game. I would like if they played it more at a normal pace if they review the game this early. So that the review comes out closer to the release date.

I know there are a few sites that release their reviews on the day of release or even later in some cases just to make sure their review is thorough. But that seems to be a small number of sites overall.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #526
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think it is the smaller sites releasing reviews early. Gamespot doesn't post their reviews before the game gets released. For many games, their review gets posted well after release.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #527
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's tough for smaller sites to do it 'early' a lot of the time. I don't say that it's impossible, but it is difficult.

Sites that get retail builds won't USUALLY get them well in advance, unless they're ready well in advance and just aren't shipping until whenever (as is the case for us and Jeanne d'Arc).

Sites that have debug kits, they'll get their review builds maybe up to a month early, but they're also usually embargoed until a certain date from posting said reviews.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #528
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The price cuts SackAttack mentioned aren't all that good overall. I'm not sure they're enough to boost major interest.

The most interesting part of that sales release was that they're creating a Halo 3 bundle. That should help the 360 sales more than any of the price cuts. With those bundles being packaged recently, I wonder if they are the old console overstock that they're trying to move out the door or if those are newly designed consoles. Who knows if we'll ever know given MS's relative silence on the issue.

I think the idea is mostly "nobody cares about the Core, and the Elite draws enough interest at $479 that coming down to $449 is lip service more than anything else."

I think any interest in these price cuts from a sales perspective is going to come from the Premium, honestly.

And, no, not terribly exciting. But. Best Buy has the Top Spin Premium bundles in stock; I don't know offhand if they're going to benefit from the price reduction. If they do, for the $399 you would've paid for a Premium last week, you can go home with a Premium, a two-player game, and an extra controller. It's an improvement.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #529
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Comment from Bill Harris regarding the GTA IV delay. He believes that the delay was because neither version was ready and that Michael Pachter's assertion that the 360 was held back due to some agreement with Sony when the only exclusive agreement was with MS is rubbish at best.......

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...-iv-delay.html
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #530
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Target and Best Buy employees are both giving out pictures that show that the stores will no longer carry the Core version of the Xbox 360......

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/07/ru...60-core-model/

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/30/be...60-core-model/
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #531
vex
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20156739/
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 AM   #532
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another pretty good sign that MS knows they have a big issue on their hands. Current rumor is that MS is creating a first party cooling unit to deal with the RROD overheating issues on the 360 system.

http://www.myarcadeplanet.com/story-...g-Devices.html
Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #533
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if this site can be believed, but it makes sense. Supposedly, the 65nm 360's will be in stores by August or September and the newer Cores and Premiums (which will no longer be called premiums) will come standard with HDMI just like the Elite. The redesign of the Core would seem to argue against the idea that the core SKU is being phased out. The 65nm chips should solve many of the problems that some units are experiencing with overheating. Here is the link:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...ills-the-beans
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #534
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is the Halo3 Xbox the new 65nm design? Or is the elite? I really am holding out for the one that's supposed to run cooler, and not RROD as badly.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #535
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I don't know if this site can be believed, but it makes sense. Supposedly, the 65nm 360's will be in stores by August or September and the newer Cores and Premiums (which will no longer be called premiums) will come standard with HDMI just like the Elite. The redesign of the Core would seem to argue against the idea that the core SKU is being phased out. The 65nm chips should solve many of the problems that some units are experiencing with overheating. Here is the link:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...ills-the-beans

I'm pretty sure that the Target and Best Buy moves to stop carrying the Core system don't mean that the Core system is being phased out by any means. They likely just aren't selling at all. No one wants a console with no HDD in the system. With the way they did the price cuts, it makes the Core even less of an option. For another $70, you can get a unit with a HDD. The price cut structure will likely cause the Core sales number to sell less than the Premium. Sony had a similar situation with the 20 GB model. Everyone bought the 60 GB model at launch despite the higher price.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #536
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Looks like this morning's Wii update will render modded Wii's useless. But at least Nintendo was nice enough to tell the user in advance.......

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/07/w...-modded-conso/

If you read the thing, it looks like all the mod chips still work. Looks like typical corporate disclaimer to me.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #537
MikeVic
Head Coach

So... anyone else read Bill Harris' latest blog and find it kind of "too much information"-like when he talks about his 6-year-old son's penis washing?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #538
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
If you read the thing, it looks like all the mod chips still work. Looks like typical corporate disclaimer to me.
Yep. Looks like this might have been a false alarm. While it's not recommended to "mod" your Wii, this was posted in the same story later yesterday afternoon:

"UPDATE: We've seen numerous reports of the new firmware not bricking modded Wii consoles, and that includes machines using Cyclowiz and WiiKey. If you're courageous enough, give it a go yourself and let us know how it turns out in comments."
Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #539
KWhit
Coordinator

Why do people feel the need to mod their consoles?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #540
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Why do people feel the need to mod their consoles?

The most common reason is to play import titles. Personally, I've never felt the need to mod my console.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #541
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is the Halo3 Xbox the new 65nm design? Or is the elite? I really am holding out for the one that's supposed to run cooler, and not RROD as badly.

If that site can be believed, the Halo3 360 will be the new 65nm design as will the core, premium, and elites in the next month or so.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #542
SackAttack
Head Coach

I can confirm that the premium will have HDMI in the next month or so, but I don't know whether the 65nm chipset will be used.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #543
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some article of interest. Play.com is reporting an announcement for a new MSG franchise is upcoming at Leipzig:

http://play.tm/story/12306

Joystiq is reporting that Rock Band bundles will contain wired guitars for the Xbox 360 and wireless guitars for the PS3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/07/ro...wired-on-xbox/

O.J. Simpson's royalties from the APF 2K8 game will go directly to the Goldman family.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27444
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #544
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
So... anyone else read Bill Harris' latest blog and find it kind of "too much information"-like when he talks about his 6-year-old son's penis washing?

Yep, that was way over the line. That kid is going to want to beat his dads ass this fall when the other kids at school start yelling "PENIS ACTIVATED!" as he walks into the classroom.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #545
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Joystiq is reporting that Rock Band bundles will contain wired guitars for the Xbox 360 and wireless guitars for the PS3.

Looks like you can get a wireless guitar for the 360, it'll just be an additional $20 .
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #546
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I can confirm that the premium will have HDMI in the next month or so, but I don't know whether the 65nm chipset will be used.

It would be smart, IMHO, if they linked the 65nm chipset to the HDMI. I think that there are some consumers who are holding back and waiting for the 65nm chipset. It would make it easier on them if there was an easy tell (the HDMI) to determine which models had the new chips and which ones didn't.

Or, I might be way way into this and forgetting the fact that 99% of the people out there have no idea what a RROD is or that heat is supposed to cause it, or that a 65nm chip is supposed to generate less heat.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #547
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Interesting. To me, the HDMI output was the primary reason to go with the Elite - the extra hard drive space is nice and all, but the HDMI was the deciding factor.

Well, that and it looks cooler in black...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #548
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I think a certain amount of damage is already done with potential customers concerning the RROD - who *really* wants to send off their 360? Nobody. What happens after your 3 year warranty is up? Is your system on it's last legs then? Some people still have working original ataris and NES', a console with the potential for only a 3-4 year shelf life is not all that enticing.

Sure, the new chips may fix the problem - and hopefully they do but there still will be alot of people who are skeptical or who never even understand that the new chips should fix the problem. This'll be even worse if reports start popping up that the system still has issues.

With that said, I'd think it would be more important to push that the new systems have HDMI, they have a new lower price, that Halo 3 is coming out soon and just quietly mention that the systems are running on improved hardware. Otherwise you have about 9 million customers who feel like they paid more for their system, don't have HDMI and potentially their system is just a brick in 3 years. Then also, all your new customers have to wonder if the problem is really fixed (especially say the first time a game freezes and it's software related, not hardware).
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #549
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think most folks (the casual gamers who will come in when the price drops) are blissfully unaware that there is or ever was a problem with the 360.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #550
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Some article of interest. Play.com is reporting an announcement for a new MSG franchise is upcoming at Leipzig:

http://play.tm/story/12306

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/07/ro...wired-on-xbox/

Hunch: PS3 uses bluetooth, Xbox 360 uses a proprietary wireless format. Microsoft is allowing both Activision and Harmonix to rock the wireless this time around...but I bet that $20 difference is basically a royalty-slash-cut-of-the-take for Microsoft.

All of which assumes that anything they're reporting on price - especially since they acknowledge Harmonix/EA's silence on the matter - comes to fruition.

Last edited by SackAttack : 08-08-2007 at 03:01 PM.