Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2003, 09:04 AM   #501
primelord
Pro Rookie

This has nothing to do with the league but I thought I would share this game story with you guys. Last night a random guy challenged me and it turned out to be a great game. We were only playing 3 minute quarters, but I managed to put together a great first drive and then return an INT for a TD to go up 14-0 on him after the 1st quarter. I then scored again early in the second quarter to go up 21-0. At that point I figured I was well on my way to a blow out win.

It seems I had been a bit lucky up to that point because on the next drive the guy marched right down the field and scored to make it 21-7 with about 1:01 left in the half. Now I knew the smart thing to do was get the kickoff and then run the clock out on the half. I of course didn't do that and on my second play got picked off on my own 20 yard line. He converted that for another TD and suddenly I was only winning by one score.

The 3rd quarter was very eventful even though netitehr team scored. My opponent drove down the field and doinked a FG attempt off the cross bar. I then drove down the field and ended up getting picked off in the end zone.

In the 4th I got over zealous and sent the house at him on a blitz. That left his HB wide open up the middle and he went 70+ yards for the tying TD. At that point there was about 1:00 left in the game. Again if I just let the clock run down we go to OT. Of course I don't do that. I imeddiately go to the air trying to get down the field for the game winning FG. Again I get picked off and he takes that in for a TD and I am losing with 24 seconds left in the game.

On the ensuing kickoff I break 5 tackles and return the kickoff 101 yards to tie the game and send it into over time. In OT I won the toss and drove down the field to kick the game winner. Quite an exciting game.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:55 PM   #502
primelord
Pro Rookie

BigDPW or RainRaven,

I am available again this evening to play our games if you guys are.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:02 PM   #503
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris01
Curious, how much time was left and what happened exactly? Call me nosy.

I think there were about 40 seconds left at that point, and it was fourth down and I had no timeouts left. It was really weird. Like I said, I had audibled to a play where Gadsden was supposed to drag across the middle, figuring that would be a good way to convert 4th and 5 or 6 (whatever it was). I even used the look at the play feature before I snapped to make sure the proper audible had been called. But when I snapped the ball, the passing icons wouldn't come up. I kept hitting the triangle in hopes that I had maybe accidently taken down the icons after the snap, but all that happened was Fiedler kept hurdling. At that point, there were defenders all around me, so there was no chance of me scrambling for a first. It just must have been a glitch I guess. Like I said, Vince outplayed me and deserved to win by all means, but it was annoying to lose my last chance to at least move in for a tying field goal on a freaky play like that. Still, neither one of us is likely to contend for a playoff spot, so no big deal in the big picture. The extremely-competitive side of me just hates to lose.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:04 PM   #504
primelord
Pro Rookie

How many carries did Ricky have?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:18 PM   #505
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ricky was very effective on my opening drive, but not so much later.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:37 PM   #506
CoachTD7
n00b

RainRaven,
Do you want to play tonight? How about around 11pm ET? Let me know. I private messaged you the other day, but I didn't get a response from you.

Coach TD7

http://www.geocities.com/tretd7/Fmlmainpage.html
CoachTD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 04:11 PM   #507
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachTD7
RainRaven,
Do you want to play tonight? How about around 11pm ET? Let me know. I private messaged you the other day, but I didn't get a response from you.

Coach TD7

He hasbeen having some problems logging on. He and I were supposed to play the last couple of nights and he hasn;t been able to connect.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:22 PM   #508
CoachTD7
n00b

Yeah I saw that Primelord. Sometimes I have a hard time connecting to server, but never that long.

Coach TD7

Old 03-05-2003, 10:24 PM   #509
primelord
Pro Rookie

Anyone interested in playing tonight even if it's not a league game?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:02 PM   #510
joegibbsjr.
n00b

In what was by far the UGLIEST football game I have ever seen, Chuck and I played our week 8 game last night. No running game for either team, no passing game for either team, and about 37 drops between the 2 of us. How we managed to score 31 points I have yet to figure out. GOOD GAME Chuck !!!!!

Skins- 17
Bears- 14
joegibbsjr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:28 PM   #511
Chuck127
n00b

Great game Joe Gibbs Jr.! Yeah it did get pretty ugly. Hopefully when we meet agian both of our teams will play better fundamental football....like actually catching the ball! Oh well, anyway great game, as it always is when we're able to get a game vs each other!

See ya in week 11, today at the teams practice we worked on simple "catching the ball drills" for two hours....so we'll be ready!
Chuck127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:52 AM   #512
CoachTD7
n00b

RainRaven,

I hope you were able to connect to the server. If you have and still can, will you let me know when we can play our week 7 game?

Coach TD7

Old 03-06-2003, 01:54 PM   #513
RainRaven
High School JV

I can play tonight after 11:30 p.m primelord as long as the server is friendly.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:26 PM   #514
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by RainRaven
I can play tonight after 11:30 p.m primelord as long as the server is friendly.

Excellent.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #515
CoachTD7
n00b

Good game RainRaven. The game was aweful with many mistakes and dropped passes. It definitely was not RainRaven's game today. Green had 5 picks. The 1 pick RainRaven had his guy fumbled it and I recovered it. However, Holmes had an awesome game and had me worried all game. I was fortunate to hold him to 7. On my side of the field I was terrible except for McNeil's Interception for a Touchdown. I couldn't move the ball at all until the 3rd quarter. I was able hold K.C. scoreless until late in the 4th when Holmes caught a TD with 2 guys on him. He is the MVP bar none. I got the ball back and converted on a big 3rd down and ran a 20 or so yard run with Tomilison (Sp.?). I kicked a field goal with 11 seconds left on 4th down to seal the victory. Once again good game RainRaven.

Chargers 17
Chiefs 7

Old 03-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #516
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
I think there were about 40 seconds left at that point, and it was fourth down and I had no timeouts left. It was really weird. Like I said, I had audibled to a play where Gadsden was supposed to drag across the middle, figuring that would be a good way to convert 4th and 5 or 6 (whatever it was). I even used the look at the play feature before I snapped to make sure the proper audible had been called. But when I snapped the ball, the passing icons wouldn't come up. I kept hitting the triangle in hopes that I had maybe accidently taken down the icons after the snap, but all that happened was Fiedler kept hurdling. At that point, there were defenders all around me, so there was no chance of me scrambling for a first. It just must have been a glitch I guess. Like I said, Vince outplayed me and deserved to win by all means, but it was annoying to lose my last chance to at least move in for a tying field goal on a freaky play like that. Still, neither one of us is likely to contend for a playoff spot, so no big deal in the big picture. The extremely-competitive side of me just hates to lose.

I have had something similar to that happen to me on a few occasions, it has never happened online...or in a situation like that, but I can remember a few times playing against the computer or a friend when I would call a passing play and the QB would just scramble...I'm not sure what it is, but that sucks that it had to happen at such a costly time for you.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 03:21 PM   #517
RainRaven
High School JV

5 interceptions... nuff said
Old 03-06-2003, 11:31 PM   #518
primelord
Pro Rookie

After multiple nights of trying RainRaven and I finally managed to get our game in.

Jets - 42
Chiefs - 14

This wasn't RainRavens day. He had 5 turnovers including two fumbles that really were back breakers. He forced me to three and out on my first possesion, but he fumbled the punt and I recovered and scored on the next play. That kind of set the tone for how the game would go. He managed to answer with a TD of his own, but after a few interceptions I was up 35-7 at the half.

RainRavne started to really put it together in the second half though. He managed to march down and score another TD and looked like he was well on his way to getting a 3rd when his wideout fumbled again. That pretty much sealed the deal. Lots of unlucky plays. Gonzalez dropped like 4 balls which is something I have never seen.

Good game RainRaven! I think you were just in too big of a hole to dig out of, but if that second half had been the first half it would have been a totally different game.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:51 PM   #519
RainRaven
High School JV

10 turnovers in 2 different games on the same day... 8 int's and two fumbles... all in favor of shooting the QB say I!
Old 03-07-2003, 12:56 AM   #520
Raven
College Prospect

That QB hurdle thing has happened to me at least two or three times before, also. At the time I knew I called a pass play, but assumed for some reason I made a mental error.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:15 PM   #521
CoachTD7
n00b

Kodos and all,

I was looking at some of the earlier posts and I wanted to know if we could change some of the tie breakers. These are not significant changes, but enough to make it equal to all. I already mentioned this to you when I started the league. Here is what you original tie-breaker rules were:

The tie-breakers for getting into the playoffs will be:

1. Number of forfeits - If 2 teams have identical W-L records, but one team has more forfeits, the team that has the lower number of forfeits wins the tie-breaker. The same thing applies for determining a conference winner.

2. Head-to-head record - The team that had a better head-to-head record gets the nod.

3. Conference record

4. Points For

5. Points Against

Rule number 4 and 5 should be combined. Meaning your average points per game minus you average points allowed. This would make offense and defense equally important. As far as the games actually played against the Bills, I use on the website those scores in averaging points per game and points allowed. Those games should count for something for those who played the Bills. What do you all think about both?

Coach TD7

Old 03-07-2003, 12:46 PM   #522
primelord
Pro Rookie

BigDPW,

When do you want to play our week 7 game?

Also Chuck I am ready to get our rematch for week 9 together whenever you are.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #523
Kodos
Resident Alien

PF-PA is fine with me.

For forfeit games in terms of season points, I was thinking of taking the average points for each game actually played, and then multiplying that by 13 (the number of games). That way, the points actually represent how a given player truly fared.

And, yes, I am hopelessly screwed in all scenarios.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #524
Chuck127
n00b

Primelord Im available this afternoon, Right now Im currently on madden awaiting the arrival of my opponent for a different league game, we were supposed to play at 1pm central..so far no show, Im gonna wait till about 1:30pm central

If my opponent dosnt show up u wanna play around 1:30central which is about 10 mins?
Old 03-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #525
primelord
Pro Rookie

Heh when I said I am available any time you are I meant any time tonight.

I am at work right now.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:48 PM   #526
CoachTD7
n00b

Kodos and all,

Kodos that sounds good. Also, I talked to Chuck about him being the next commissioner and he declined, because of having to start work. Therefore, unless anyone wants to be commissioner I would not mind doing it or if someone does I wouldn't mind helping them. Of course the league would run as is. We would have new teams and new conferences and new schedules and new records Kodos The league would be run as a Democracy were you guys decided and I only voted in a case of a tie. Let me know all?

Coach TD7

Old 03-07-2003, 01:57 PM   #527
Chuck127
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
Heh when I said I am available any time you are I meant any time tonight.

I am at work right now.

Sorry Bout that Primelord How Foolish of me! LOL

Last edited by Chuck127 : 03-07-2003 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #528
primelord
Pro Rookie

No I did say whenever you are so it was really my mistake.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:48 PM   #529
Kodos
Resident Alien

I could be up for another season. Then again, I wouldn't mind a break from Madden. And all the damned losing.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-07-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:47 PM   #530
primelord
Pro Rookie

I would be up for another season as well.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:58 PM   #531
RainRaven
High School JV

I am also on board for another season, I mean, I have't gotten my ass kicked enough the last two games to run me out yet so I don't think you guys are getting rid of me
Old 03-07-2003, 08:02 PM   #532
CoachTD7
n00b

How did you guys decide who got what team. What was the best team you guys could pick? Was it based upon the reordered rosters or original rosters? When you reorder rosters it changes the ratings Raiders are in top 4 instead of Top 8. Let me know please.

Coach TD7

Old 03-07-2003, 08:18 PM   #533
CoachTD7
n00b

Vince,

I was wondering if you wanted to play are game sooner than Sunday? Like 9:30pm PST or later. Let me know.

Coach TD7

Last edited by CoachTD7 : 03-07-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:39 PM   #534
joegibbsjr.
n00b

Chris01 and RainRaven, I play you guys for games 9 and 10. I would like to get an early jump on these games if possible. I will be out of town next weekend (Fri-Sun) and it looks like I have a pretty busy week as well. Let me know if either of you can play tonight or tomorrow. If not, let me know when.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:37 AM   #535
Chris01
n00b

JoeGibbs if Kodos allows it thats cool by me. So is that possible Kodos. Also Rainaven or Raven sorry if I sound like a skipping CD but when are either of you available?

Chris

p.s. Don't know why I didn't say broken record, hmmm oh well
Chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 01:51 AM   #536
Kodos
Resident Alien

Arrow

Chris01: That is perfectly fine if you want to get ahead.

BigDPW: When would you like to get together for our Week 8 Dolphins at Patriots showdown? I should be available most of the weekend.

CoachTD: We excluded certain teams over 84 or something like that, plus a couple other teams like the Raiders. The .FML Season 2 Signup Thread would be a good source to find out exactly what we did. Basically, we excluded certain teams, and then had a random-ordered draft to decide who got to pick teams in what order.

In the original FML, I suggested that for the second season (which never happened because the first season was never completed), we should select teams based on reverse order of the owner's finish in the previous season to promote parity. I don't know if we want to do that with this incarnation of the league, but if we do, looks like I'm getting a good pick...
Old 03-08-2003, 08:42 AM   #537
BigDPW
College Prospect

Kodos - Primelord - Raven

I am free most of the time this weekend and would like to get some of the games out of the way... Week 7-8-9 if possible... Let me know when you guys we be free over the course of Saturday and Sunday and we can figure out when will work for us to matchup...

I will be free most of the weekend but I will not be at my CPU most of that time so emailing me or PMing me will probably be the best way to contact me...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 12:37 PM   #538
joegibbsjr.
n00b

Chris and RainRaven, let me know if either of you are available today.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #539
Vince
Pro Starter

Sorry Coach, I was at work last night until 3 AM...but I'm still able to play tomorrow, when we planned (9:15).

And I'm good for another season...this has been a ton of fun.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 05:22 PM   #540
CoachTD7
n00b

Vince,

I will see you tomorrow then at 9:15pm PST. Get some sleep man.

All,
I think that makes almost everyone for another season right? Am I the commissioner then? I like Kodos idea about how we pick teams we will further discuss that. I also was wondering about what teams we would allow to be selected. The best team in our league at the moment is the Patriots with an 84 rating after roster reorder that is the same as the Packers and 49ers after reordering roster. What do you guys think the highest rank team should be? The lowest? Let me know.

Coach TD7

Old 03-08-2003, 07:11 PM   #541
Kodos
Resident Alien

Smile

The unthinkable has happened. I have won an FML contest - and it wasn't by forfeit! BigDPW and I had a close game, but a 75-yard Brock Marion punt return and a long Oronde Gadsden TD as the first half expired helped boost me to a 24-21 victory. (Actually, the game froze up right at the half with Gadsden 2 yards short of the goalline and a couple defenders a yard or 2 behind. BigDPW was kind enough to agree the Gadsden was gonna score). Anyhow, it's nice to be off the schneid, but not too much celebration from a team that clearly is a cellar-dweller.

Coach TD. Maybe we should keep the same teams available? I dunno?
Old 03-08-2003, 08:01 PM   #542
Kodos
Resident Alien

Standings through Week 6

Here are the long-awaited official standings with 6 weeks of play done. Those Kodos teams are kicking serious ass in the race for the first pick overall! Time to put on our rally caps.
National Football Conference

Team (owner) W L F PF PA Div.

Saints (Chris01) 6 0 0 207 75 4-0
Redskins (JoeGibbsJr.) 6 0 0 140 69 4-0
Jets (primelord) 4 2 0 188 120 2-2
Bears (Chuck127) 2 4 0 110 143 1-3
Chiefs (RainRaven) 2 4 0 95 152 1-3
Broncos (none) 0 6 1 72 148 0-4

American Football Conference

Team (owner) W L F PF PA Div.

Chargers (CoachTD7) 5 1 0 74 30 4-0
Titans (Raven) 4 2 0 110 92 3-1
Patriots (BigDPW) 4 2 0 84 89 3-1
Colts (Vince) 2 4 0 79 107 2-2
Dolphins (Kodos) 0 6 0 50 122 0-4
Bills (none) 0 6 2 64 140 0-4
Old 03-09-2003, 12:57 AM   #543
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here is a random idea for next season, and it will probably be more palatable to people who suck like me. I was thinking we could take the bottom 12 teams, based on reordered rosters, and then have a draft using the reverse order from our finish this season. This would help with parity, as we have guys who are clearly better than the bottom tier of the league. It could make it more interesting, but would also probably be somewhat unfair to the elite players. Anyhow, I just thought I would float the idea out there and see what people think. If you don't like it, please feel free to say so. It could just make for a more competitive league, and let you good guys show just how good you are!

Last edited by Kodos : 03-09-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:49 AM   #544
joegibbsjr.
n00b

First, I just want to say, Congratulations to the Bengals of the FML- Kodos!!!! We all knew you had it in you. As far as your ideas go, I agree with all of them. After watching the good sportsmanship that you have displayed throughout this season, I will be willing to play the next season with any team you want me to. Keep in mind, I am drunk as dog do do right now so I may have a different opinion on this tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:03 PM   #545
joegibbsjr.
n00b

Chris or RainRaven, let me know if either of you can play tonight after 11:30 est. If so, tell me what time and I'll meet you then. If not, we'll try again later.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:29 PM   #546
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thumbs up

jgj: Thanks for the kind words (except for the Bengals part - that will never be forgiven), and I must say, your typing is impeccable, even when you are drunk as a dog!

I'm curious to see what the others think of my inspired proposal.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #547
Chris01
n00b

That idea works for me Kodos. I think it's a very good idea and a way to make the league pretty competitive. I'm completely sober right now so when I get drunk as a dog tonight my opinion on this may be different

P.S. JoeGibbsjr, I should be able to play tonight. Let me get back at you though, when I know for sure.
Chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 01:42 PM   #548
RainRaven
High School JV

I can play tonight after 11:30 p.m eastern time for anyone that I have to play.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:14 PM   #549
Kodos
Resident Alien

Arrow

Just out of curiosity, I decided to see what the 12 teams would be if we decided to do this. Using the default rosters, I auto-reordered all the teams. Here are the elite-bad teams! Who would have thought that the Bengals would only be number 5?!?

Team OVR O D
1. Texans 65 65 71
2. Panthers 66 65 73
3. Falcons 68 68 71
4. Lions 70 68 77
5. Bengals 70 72 77
6. Giants 72 68 81
7. Ravens 72 66 83
8. Cardinals 72 74 75
9. Vikings 72 77 71
10. Jaguars 74 77 73
11. Chiefs 74 81 73
12. Bills 76 76 81

Last edited by Kodos : 03-09-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:58 PM   #550
primelord
Pro Rookie

BigDPW,

Your PM box is full. So I will just post here. Tongiht at 10:00 EST will be fine to get our game in.

Kodos,

What does reordered rosters mean?