Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #501
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Just imagine if there was a league where there were 1000 players and each of you would play each game!

It would have to become a job if that were to happen... I'd be happy to apply for such a thing; for any sport.

Last edited by mauchow : 10-10-2006 at 10:10 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #502
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Very true. I'm assuming this would have to include headset verbal communication with all of your teammates to discuss strategies/plays, etc.

Good point, with a system where you could talk to only your team that really has potential..

I mean, I'd love to do it with FOFCers or something for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 AM   #503
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Remember last year, EB said the same things about the 360 and you know how accurate their info was. They basically sat on people's money for several months, collecting interest off them while the customers waited. They'll say anything to get your $100.

No, that was last year. Most stores were only taking 6-16 preorders, based on allocation numbers. Even if Sony cut their stock in half, or 3/4s it would seem that RA will get a launch one since he should be in the top 3 of their list. I believe they realized how wrong they were the last time.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #504
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Remember last year, EB said the same things about the 360 and you know how accurate their info was. They basically sat on people's money for several months, collecting interest off them while the customers waited. They'll say anything to get your $100.

That's the whole reason that the preorders are so late. They wouldn't open it up until they were sure how many units each store was going to receive from Sony for exactly the reason you're describing. Another release like the 360 would be a disaster and they're fully aware of that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #505
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmmm. Just read that NBA 2k7 on the PS3 will allow 10 players to play online at one time (with each player being player locked onto a player.) Could be very chaotic but very fun. Am I crazy for letting this make me start to want a PS3 a little bit? Anyway, I'm waiting until they are readily available if I eventually get one.

Edit: I'm not going to get the PS3 for any one game, but it will be interesting to see if the 360 and PS3 sports titles really are different and which one is better. I just didn't believe the PS3 version of this year's games were going to have any substantially different features and this was a surprise.

Interesting. I wonder if this was planned for the 360 version but they ran out of time. I can't see how any company will spend a ton of time working on two different versions of their games.

Like you, I'll be waiting. I'm sure I'll eventually get one, but it won't happen until March or April at the earliest. The 360 has plenty of games to keep me occupied until then and that's not counting FM2007 for the PC or any game Jim might release.

With my schedule now, I'm having a difficult time playing NBA2K7 as much as I would like, I just can't see how another system would get any use as of now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #506
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

From Kotaku:

GameStop: Our PS3s Sold-Out Nationwide
I just got off the phone with a GameStop spokesman who confirmed that as of 2 p.m. Mountain Time, the chain's 3,600 stores has sold out of every single one of their PS3 pre-orders. As of right now, he went on to say, the chain has no word on whether they will be getting anymore for launch day. So this could be it for their initial batch of consoles.

Each store had at least eight PS3's for preorder, with some getting as many as 16. And, he confirmed that only two units per a store could be sold to employees.

While they sell-out wasn't confirmed until 2 p.m., the spokesman told me it was a matter of minutes at most stores. He added that this was much faster than the sell-out rate of the Xbox 360. at the chain.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #507
wade moore
lolzcat

Crazy to me that so many people are ready to jump on this console with the price tag it has.

Maybe the decision by Sony on a macro level wasn't as bad as I think it was. Maybe people like me that are unwilling to pay their price are fine with them because so many will, and people like me will end up picking it up when they cut the price a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #508
spleen1015
Coordinator

II'm not surprised they sold out this quickly. If it is true that they have limited quantities, it makes since even more. People want it because they fear they may not be able to get one quick enough.

It took lots of will power and the chance of a beating from my wife for me to not run out and try to get on yesterday, even with the price tag.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #509
stevew
Hall Of Famer

More or less it seems like their allocation is probably only around 50k units total. Which is probably in line with what Sony said about launch units being available in the US. Figure each WalMart/Target/Kmart/ToysRus/Other Store gets around its 10-15 each and you're at the 500k total.

Gamers who want this aren't going to be scared by the tags, as this is less of a toy that you buy for your kids, and more of a thing you get for yourself. And the average gamer keeps getting older each year.

Last edited by stevew : 10-11-2006 at 09:11 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #510
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Crazy to me that so many people are ready to jump on this console with the price tag it has.

Maybe the decision by Sony on a macro level wasn't as bad as I think it was. Maybe people like me that are unwilling to pay their price are fine with them because so many will, and people like me will end up picking it up when they cut the price a bit.

Personally, I think the quicker sell-out was due to the people who wanted to get the console to resell it for a profit on eBay (though the one I reserved I plan on keeping). In the end, it doesn't really matter from Sony's perspective. If there's a bunch of PS3 going for big bucks on eBay, it only further stirs the media and hype storm surrounding the release and gives Sony additional publicity. It will certainly make the $500 unit on the shelf suddenly look like a good deal.

We'll have a much better grip on how the PS3 will do by the April/May 2007 timeframe. By then, we'll have a pretty good look at what games come out in the spring and are available for Xmas 2007. Also, the hi-def DVD war should be in full swing by then. We'll be able to see if 360 owners decided to add on a HD-DVD drive during the holiday season or if they just want to play games.

We'll also get a pretty good indicator on how much PS3 users use the Blu-ray drive for movies by how well Blu-ray movies are selling through the holiday season and months thereafter. Certainly, the advertising campaign is already in full force at this point, with many movie commercials now stating that they will be 'available for DVD and Blu-Ray'. No doubt that Sony is pushing the movie studios to state that in their commercials to increase exposure.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #511
dervack
College Prospect

It's been confirmed that the Japan release of the PS3 will only come with composite cables, not sure about the NA release. If that's the case, add another $30 do the purchase price unless you have the component cables from your PS2.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #512
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

It's more crazy to me that people actually thought that they wouldn't sell, $600 is high for a console but it's really not that much when you consider thousands of people paid 2 and 3x that for Xbox 360's whether it be for premiums with games or markups on resales.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #513
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
It's more crazy to me that people actually thought that they wouldn't sell, $600 is high for a console but it's really not that much when you consider thousands of people paid 2 and 3x that for Xbox 360's whether it be for premiums with games or markups on resales.
Yep - remember how much people were willing to pay on eBay for 360's when they first came out. Sounds like the PS3 is going to have very limited availability when it launches, and if there were lots of people willing to pay $1,000+ for a 360 on eBay, there will be people willing to do that for a PS3.

Now, down the road once the supply is decent, I think we'll see the true effects of the $600 price point. Especially with the Wii also available at $250, and the 360 possibly lowering in price.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #514
Raiders Army
Coordinator

It seems as if many people are willing to pay $800-1500 for a pre-ordered one at this point on ebay.

In fact, check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3-PS...QQcmdZViewItem
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #515
SackAttack
Head Coach

Fraudulent.

It will get canceled.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #516
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
It seems as if many people are willing to pay $800-1500 for a pre-ordered one at this point on ebay.

In fact, check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-3-PS...QQcmdZViewItem
Not surprising.

On the subject of pricing and demand, I'll note that nobody I've talked to at work here is interested in buying a PS3 early for any other reason than to sell it for a big profit on eBay. The general feeling around is indifference towards the PS3, while the Wii has many people (myself included) very excited. I should also note that while a number of people got 360's right away and many more have bought them since, most people are rather blase on the current titles available. Though, that should change in the next year as a lot more games get released that were timed to be both PS3 and 360 titles.

Bottom line, the Wii seems to be generating the most excitement around here.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #517
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Not surprising.

On the subject of pricing and demand, I'll note that nobody I've talked to at work here is interested in buying a PS3 early for any other reason than to sell it for a big profit on eBay. The general feeling around is indifference towards the PS3, while the Wii has many people (myself included) very excited. I should also note that while a number of people got 360's right away and many more have bought them since, most people are rather blase on the current titles available. Though, that should change in the next year as a lot more games get released that were timed to be both PS3 and 360 titles.

Bottom line, the Wii seems to be generating the most excitement around here.

Also, as the first AAAA titles start to ship this fall for 360.

Splinter Cell next week, Gears of War next month, just to name the two biggest.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #518
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Fraudulent.

It will get canceled.

Oh yeah. Meant to add a smiley to that post but forgot. Obviously fraudulent.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #519
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Another cnet article on the Wii and how it will stack up to the PS3 and Xbox. Also some talk about the DS kicking the PSP's butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnet
With the year-end shopping season approaching, expectations are running high that Nintendo will repeat the success of its DS handheld machine next month with its new game console, the Wii.

Nintendo has developed the Wii not to please hard-core gamers with lifelike graphics but to entice game novices with innovative but easy-to-play games--the same concept that helped the DS far outsell Sony's PlayStation Portable.

But the novelty of Wii's one-hand controller may fade quickly if game makers are slow to come up with fresh titles, analysts say.

"Software makers and distributors are holding such high hopes for the Wii," Deutsche Securities analyst Takashi Oya said. "Their latest stance is like, 'Why don't we reallocate some of the resources from the PS3 to the Wii,'" he said, referring to Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3.

Electronic Arts, the world's biggest video game publisher, is working on seven Wii titles this business year ending March 2007, up from its previous plan for five, in a bid to capitalize on the unexpected buzz around the console.

DS vs. PSP
In the year to March, Nintendo aims for global sales of 20 million DS units. The DS lets users navigate games by touching the screen with a stylus instead of manipulating a keypad, and carries a price tag of $129.99 in the United States.

Sony, in comparison, expects to ship 12 million units of the PSP, a basic model of which sells for $199, over the same period.

For the Wii, Nintendo offers a TV remote-like controller, which uses motion-detection sensors that allow players to control the game by swinging the device like a tennis racket or wielding it like a sword, opening up new avenues for game playing.

Nintendo's own "Wii Sports" software, which will be included with the console in the United States and Europe, makes it possible for grandparents to play a virtual tennis match with their grandchildren in the living room.

"(The Wii) is something that will appeal to a 7- to a 70-year-old," said Laurent Detoc, who leads French video game publisher Ubisoft Entertainment's North American business.

Reflecting blistering DS demand and mounting hopes for the Wii, Nintendo shares shot up 71 percent from January to September.

The Kyoto-based company is set to launch the Wii in the United States on November 19 for about $250, roughly half the price of the PS3 model that comes with a 20GB hard disk drive and Blu-ray high-definition optical disc player.

Sony plans to start rolling out the PS3 in North America two days ahead of Nintendo's Wii. Microsoft released its latest console, Xbox 360, late last year.

The $64,000 question
Despite the game-changing controller, affordable price and strong software lineup such as "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess," the Wii launch is not without concerns.

"For the DS, whoever found it interesting carried it with them and showed it to people around them. That was a great demand driver," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said last month. "We cannot expect that sort of push for a stationary console."

Analysts point out the possibility that the new controller, which requires substantially more physical movement than the traditional keypad, could eventually make game playing tiresome, causing gamers to turn their backs on the machine.

Japanese videogame maker Square Enix launched a game in 2003 in which players wield a toy sword in front of a sensor-mounted TV set to fight monsters on the screen, but it failed to become popular enough to spawn a sequel, casting a shadow over the Wii's prospects, Deutsche Securities' Oya said.

"Wii Sports is a fun diversion," said Sam Kennedy, editor-in-chief of videogame Web site 1UP.com. "People will play it for a while, but it's not something that will capture your attention for weeks."

To make things harder for Nintendo, a boosting effect from PS3's Blu-ray player is likely to kick in next year, Oya said.

"There are quite a few people out there today who have no idea what Blu-ray is," he said. "But a year after its launch, at around this time next year, more people will start recognizing the added value brought by a Blu-ray player, just as a DVD player function helped the PS2 to a flying start."

KBC Securities analyst Hiroshi Kamide said the Wii may start to show its age quicker than the PS3 or Xbox 360 as it is not a particularly powerful machine from a technological perspective.

The fate of the console comes down to depth and width of game software, he added.

"If it's just the same pointing and shooting all the time, it won't be particularly attractive," Kamide said.

"So to a certain extent, it's up to Nintendo software and software developers all over the world to try and think for themselves how best to utilize the controller."

Asked if the Wii's novelty would wear off, Larry Probst, chief executive of Electronic Arts, said: "That's the $64,000 question. I think it will do really well during the launch window."
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #520
Anthony
Banned

i have seen Blu-ray content up close at Best Buy, and my wife and i are amazed. so much so that we decided to hold off on buying our plasma 720 and will save for a plasma 1080. the clarity of the picture is astounding, utterly astounding.

i would get a PS3 now, knowing how much a Blu-ray costs. Sony bet right, cuz i bet there are hundreds of thousands like me - guys who want the best in home entertainment and aren't a stranger to video game. i would want the PS3 50% for the Blu-ray, which is high and also an indicator that i'm growing out of my video game phase. of course, i'd make use out of the console side of the PS3, but it's by no means a priority to me. this is why i have no problem waiting till next spring when a likely price drop would occur. no rush for me - by that time there'd be a nice little stable of games to play and some movies worth owning on Blu-ray to buy. win-win for Hell Atlantic.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-12-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #521
SunDevil
College Prospect

Costanza moment:

The fact that Hell Atlantic is for the PS3, only makes me feel that I am onto something about being apprehensive about the console.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.

Last edited by SunDevil : 10-12-2006 at 11:21 AM.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #522
Anthony
Banned

wow, Spore will be on all next-gen consoles next year, too.

i still plan on getting it for the PC though, but this game is just sick.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #523
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Interesting. This might be old news, but I just read that the next version of Grand Theft Auto (certainly one of the system sellers for the PS2) will be out on the 360 the same day that it is released for the PS3.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-17-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #524
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Interesting. This might be old news, but I just read that the next version of Grand Theft Auto (certainly one of the system sellers for the PS2) will be out on the 360 the same day that it is released for the PS3.
I think that news came out of this year's E3 expo, so it is somewhat old news.

Interesting how things change - I remember in the early days of the Xbox how Rockstar's head honcho claimed he'd never put out an Xbox version of any of their games.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #525
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I think that news came out of this year's E3 expo, so it is somewhat old news.

Interesting how things change - I remember in the early days of the Xbox how Rockstar's head honcho claimed he'd never put out an Xbox version of any of their games.

$600 consoles have a way of changing people's opinions

While I do think it will sell, and sell well, it will be quite a while before they have the kind of market share of the PS2 (IF ever).

But IMO, for me personally, Sony has stolen some of the 360's thunder unintentionally by 2K having longer developement time on their version of NBA 2k7, which for me is what justified having a 360 for me. It looks like it's going to be even better on the PS3, graphically and some game enhancements.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #526
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

So who is going to get this thing around launch? I have a 360 and the only reason I would get one right at launch would be to sell it on ebay..
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #527
SackAttack
Head Coach

A friend who knows about the whole game review thing saw me today and goes "Josh, are you gonna be getting a PS3 early? I'll give you $1000 for it if you are. I want to surprise my son."

I had to explain that it doesn't work that way when companies send me consoles, but clearly there are people out there who DO want one that badly just for them/their kids to play.

I wouldn't have believed it.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #528
Anthony
Banned

the more i think about it, the more i want a PS3. i'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's probably too late for me to get one this year in terms of preorders and all that crap, but as soon as they become more available i'm gonna get one.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:55 PM   #529
SackAttack
Head Coach

HA, you might try at the local EB/whatnot. Could be that some of the cancelled ebayers will cancel their preorders since they can't afford it.

Doesn't seem likely, but seems like it'd be worth a shot.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:58 AM   #530
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
$600 consoles have a way of changing people's opinions

While I do think it will sell, and sell well, it will be quite a while before they have the kind of market share of the PS2 (IF ever).

But IMO, for me personally, Sony has stolen some of the 360's thunder unintentionally by 2K having longer developement time on their version of NBA 2k7, which for me is what justified having a 360 for me. It looks like it's going to be even better on the PS3, graphically and some game enhancements.

It has much less to do with the cost of a PS3 and a whole lot more to do with the fact that you can make more money selling it on multiple consoles. Exclusive third party games are going to be very rare unless MS or Sony is willing to throw major money at them to offset the loss of not creating games for both consoles.

PS2 is going to go down as one of the great consoles ever. I have no idea how, but that thing is still selling 300,000 units a month and is still exceeding Xbox 360 sales. That's just insane.

NBA2K7 will be one of the PS3 launch titles that I'll pick up on launch day. As you said, they took a game that was a 360 system seller and made it even better for the PS3. Very nice.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:59 AM   #531
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
So who is going to get this thing around launch? I have a 360 and the only reason I would get one right at launch would be to sell it on ebay..

Have 2 reserved. One for me and one for a friend. We'll both be keeping them. I wouldn't even think of selling them.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #532
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
What changes did they make for the PS3 version besides graphical ones? Are those changes going to be added to the 360 version via a patch?

NBA 2K7/CH 2K7 were going to be the games that sold me on a 360. If they're going to be better on the PS3, I may just wait until next year when the dust settles and each system has a full slate of sports games available.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #533
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
What changes did they make for the PS3 version besides graphical ones? Are those changes going to be added to the 360 version via a patch?

No, these are features specific to only the PS3. Here's a preview that goes over what they were able to add/enhance on the PS3 version......

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/737/737118p1.html
Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 AM   #534
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't have a dog in this fight (puts on Nintendo fanboy hat), but really? One year of one sports game with unannounced features and that has you ready to switch consoles?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #535
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Not sure how accurate the information is, but there are multiple sites reporting that PS3's will be playable in Best Buy today or later in the week.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #536
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight (puts on Nintendo fanboy hat), but really? One year of one sports game with unannounced features and that has you ready to switch consoles?

SI

There's little to nothing on the 360 I'm interested in. Not to mention the verbalage in the previews for the PS3 implies that every year the two titles are going to be different because they see a need for different developement cycles. I've played everything on the 360 (mostly thru rentals) and nothing had me saying I *have* to buy that game except 2K7 hockey and basketball.

Although, I don't remember anywhere where I said I was switching. I simply said they seem to have capitalized on the PS3 power and the longer developement to create a better game - and for alot of people the main reason they bought a 360.

I apologize for actually making a comment that is a positive towards the PS3 in this thread. To justify, I hear that the price really isn't $900 to create, it's actually a billion dollars per unit and if you buy it at best buy they take your first born child to compensate the difference.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #537
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of good interface and options information..........

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740005p1.html
Old 10-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #538
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Not sure how accurate the information is, but there are multiple sites reporting that PS3's will be playable in Best Buy today or later in the week.

I'd be very surprised, but maybe Sony's being more diligent than their reps have reported to us.

Our rep suggested that Sony was going to attempt to have units in store the week before launch, FWIW.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #539
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Interesting:

Quote:
2:13 p.m.: He mentions the array of movie studios and tech companies supporting the Blu-ray format. He emphasizes that it does play DVD, CD, and Blu-ray video, so they're going to pack the Blu-ray edition of Talladega Nights in the first 500,000 PS3 systems.

http://www.gamespot.com/events/ps3la...pslot;action;1
Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 PM   #540
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Per Gamespot:

In conjunction with its Gamers' Day event being held in San Francisco today, Sony revealed the first accessories for the PlayStation 3. The initial batch of add-ons for the next-generation console, which launches in the US on November 17, will be relatively modest, consisting of just four devices.

First up is the PS3 HDMI cable, which many high-definition televisions require to display graphics in 1080p resolution. The omission of the cable from the basic PS3 package caused a bit of a stir when it was first revealed in August, and its price probably won't help matters. The PS3 HDMI cable will sell for $49.99, higher than most HDMI cables on eBay (which can go for as low as $9.99), but lower than the "generic" PS3/360 HDMI cable that was listed on GameStop for $99.99. However, since the PS3 has a standard HDMI port, any HDMI cable should work with the console.

Far more affordable is the PS3 Memory Card Adapter, which will retail for $14.99. Though not necessary for saving PS3 games, the adapter is required for loading game saves from old PlayStation 2 and PlayStation memory cards. The PS3 is fully backward compatible with both consoles, and PS2 and PlayStation games will be made available for download Xbox Live Arcade style via the PlayStation Network Platform.

Sony will let gamers purchase extra units of the PS3's Sixaxis controller for $49.99 each. With its built-in Bluetooth wireless connectivity, the PS3 will support up to seven controllers at once, without a next-gen equivalent of a multitap extension.

As it did with the PlayStation 2, Sony is selling the media remote for the PS3 separately. The Blu-ray Disc Remote will go for $29.99 and will provide single-button controls for most of the PS3's media functionality.
Speaking of Blu-ray, Sony is planning to include a single movie on the high-definition format with each PS3 for a limited time, much like it bundled a UMD movie with the PSP in 2005. However, while the UMD film was Spider-Man 2, whose comic-book roots and special effects had undeniable gamer appeal, Sony's choice for the PS3's BD movie--the Will Ferrell NASCAR comedy Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby--will puzzle many.

The HDMI Cable seems really expensive, but it seems like any HDMI Cable should work. The controller is a bit more expensive than I expected as well.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #541
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

umm the controller is the same price as a wireless 360 controller.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #542
dervack
College Prospect

I still think it's funny for a system that boasts HD, but doesn't allow you to view anything in HD out of the box. You have to prchase the cables to do it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #543
SackAttack
Head Coach

Rumor has it the Sixaxis doesn't have a replaceable battery the way the 360 controller does.

Battery can be recharged, but once it dies for good, you gotta replace the controller, at $49.99/pop.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 PM   #544
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
umm the controller is the same price as a wireless 360 controller.

more expensive != expensive.

He could've expected the controller to kick in at a lower price - PS2 controllers are and always have been cheaper than original Xbox pads after all - without it being 'OMG EXPENSIVE!!1!"
Old 10-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #545
dervack
College Prospect

The other thing that I thought was different, is that 1st party titles are going to be 59.99, which is fine. But does that mean 3rd party titles might reach 69.99 regularly?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:19 AM   #546
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
The other thing that I thought was different, is that 1st party titles are going to be 59.99, which is fine. But does that mean 3rd party titles might reach 69.99 regularly?

Not necessarily. Probably going to be a YMMV situation of sorts.

I believe Activision has already committed to $59.99 as a price point which "hasn't met with significant resistance at retail."

But EA, say? I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #547
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Rumor has it the Sixaxis doesn't have a replaceable battery the way the 360 controller does.

Battery can be recharged, but once it dies for good, you gotta replace the controller, at $49.99/pop.

Just to clarify, you don't have to replace the controller if the battery dies. You can still use it as a wired controller and it will work just fine. It's a small point, but one that should be made.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:02 AM   #548
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post

Nearly all 3rd party titles are supposed to be 59.99 or less. I haven't seen one listed yet that is over that price point.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:16 AM   #549
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's the official notice on the kiosks. It appears I was off by a couple of days. Next week is when they'll be in stores.....

Quote:
Now it's time to talk demo kiosks. Sony will send out 15,000 kiosks that will debut October 26. They will feature Sony Bravia HD monitors. "Universally, PS products will have the lead-in position. They will have dominant shelf space," he says. He also says the kiosks will be networked so they can stream game demos and they'll no longer be dependent on someone carrying a disc into the store and loading it up.

Also, another interesting note. The BR version of 'Talledaga Nights' is a 50 GB disk. There were rumors that Sony was unable to mass produce these 50 GB disks. Evidently, that's not the case.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #550
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If that is true, that really sucks. I read the reply below that you can still use them as a wired controller, but I don't want wired controllers. I've come to really enjoy having wireless controllers.

Quote:
more expensive != expensive.

He could've expected the controller to kick in at a lower price - PS2 controllers are and always have been cheaper than original Xbox pads after all - without it being 'OMG EXPENSIVE!!1!"

Yeah. I was going on the PS fans (of which I was a big one with the PS2 and am still going to eventually get the PS3) who always talked about the PS2 Controllers being cheaper than the Xbox controllers. I thought that Sony would try to continue that trend in the next generation with PS3 controllers.