Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #501
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As a possible contingency plan if they lose Johnny Damon, the Red Sox have discussed a Matt Clement-for-Jeremy Reed trade, a source with direct knowledge of the discussions told the Boston Globe.
The Red Sox might want a little more, but it wouldn't necessarily be a bad trade as a one-for-one. Reed was about as good defensively as any American League center fielder last season, and he still has a fair amount of offensive potential. Dec. 13 - 4:11 am et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #502
Ksyrup

The Blue Jays are out of the chase for free agent Nomar Garciaparra, GM J.P. Ricciardi confirmed.
"We're done with him," Ricciardi said. "He has more money on the table some place else." The Yankees, Indians, Dodgers, Orioles, Braves, Astros and Pirates are among the clubs known to have interest in Garciaparra. Dec. 13 - 2:02 pm et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #503
Ksyrup

Even after brining in Tony Womack last week, the Reds remain interested in re-signing free agent Rich Aurilia.
If they signed Aurilia, it's a sign that either Austin Kearns or Wily Mo Pena still could be dealt. Ryan Freel would move to left field in that scenario. One step forward, two steps back. Dec. 13 - 1:53 pm et
Old 12-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #504
Ksyrup

The Astros are looking at Nomar Garciaparra and Rondell White as potential upgrades in left field.
If the Astros added a left fielder, it'd show how little confidence they had in Jeff Bagwell's ability to come back. Jason Lane isn't getting sat down, so their intention would be to play Lance Berkman regularly at first. Bagwell, Chris Burke and Mike Lamb would all be reserves. Dec. 13 - 1:17 pm et
Old 12-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #505
Ksyrup

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal is also reporting the White Sox's interest in Javier Vazquez and says Jon Garland and Chris Young have been part of the trade discussions.
The White Sox can't give up both. Still, they may consider Garland expendable, mostly because he'll be tough to re-sign when he becomes a free agent next winter. A flyball pitcher, Vazquez hardly seems like the best choice for the White Sox. The team plays in the best home run park in the AL. Dec. 13 - 1:12 pm
Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #506
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Royals offered 3/$15 for Jacque Jones despite him being offered arby so the Royals would also lose the #1 pick in the 2nd round. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And the sad thing- he probably still won't take their money as he's making a lot of noise, trying to get someone, anyone else to sign him. Hopefully that's the case and they dodge that stupid bullet.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #507
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
The Royals offered 3/$15 for Jacque Jones despite him being offered arby so the Royals would also lose the #1 pick in the 2nd round. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And the sad thing- he probably still won't take their money as he's making a lot of noise, trying to get someone, anyone else to sign him. Hopefully that's the case and they dodge that stupid bullet.

SI

Not trying to rub it in about being from a big market. But there's no reason in the world to give Jones that kind of money. This is exactly what I was talking about. Jones is not going to give you much and has no upside.

He's essentially interchangeable with Patterson and Bradley (a little better than Corey and not quite as good as Milton) and both those guys are on the trade market for pennies on the dollar right now. Neither are out of their arbitration years, either. And both are young enough that they have some upside.

Hell... you could probably get Preston Wilson cheaper and he'd give you about the same production. Personally, I think they should have spent that money on international development. Five million a year for the next three years would definitely yield at least one Jacque Jones level player in the long run.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.myway.com/news/12132005/v0642.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Los Angeles Dodgers unloaded Milton Bradley on Tuesday, sending the switch-hitting outfielder to the Oakland Athletics along with infielder Antonio Perez for minor league outfielder Andre Ethier, the Texas League player of the year.
The 27-year-old Bradley hit .290 with 13 homers and 38 RBIs in 283 at-bats. He was limited to 75 games, also missing extensive playing time because of a torn ligament in his right ring finger.

Bradley hit .267 with 19 homers and 67 RBIs in 141 games for the Dodgers in 2004, and .321 with 10 homers and 56 RBIs in 101 games for the Indians in 2003.

The 25-year-old Perez hit .297 with three homers and 23 RBIs in 259 at-bats as a part-time infielder for the Dodgers last season.

Ethier, who bats and throws left-handed, hit .319 in 131 games with 18 homers and 80 RBIs for Midland of the Texas League. He also had 30 doubles among his 161 hits and scored 104 runs. In addition, he played in four games with Triple-A Sacramento of the PCL.

Ethier was a second-round draft pick of the A's in 2003 after playing at Arizona State.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #509
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Not trying to rub it in about being from a big market. But there's no reason in the world to give Jones that kind of money. This is exactly what I was talking about. Jones is not going to give you much and has no upside.

He's essentially interchangeable with Patterson and Bradley (a little better than Corey and not quite as good as Milton) and both those guys are on the trade market for pennies on the dollar right now. Neither are out of their arbitration years, either. And both are young enough that they have some upside.

Hell... you could probably get Preston Wilson cheaper and he'd give you about the same production. Personally, I think they should have spent that money on international development. Five million a year for the next three years would definitely yield at least one Jacque Jones level player in the long run.
No, I agree- this is a stupid move. That said, some of this is Allard trying to improve the team (partly to save his job, I'd imagine) and actual good free agent outfielders (ok, so I guess there was one in Giles) wouldn't give us the time of day. Everyone for years has said "those cheap Royals". Here they want to actually spend money but no one will take it and they get to hear "oh, stupid Royals".

Also, I like your mantra of "internal development for little teams" but how do you know they haven't done that. It's always easy to say do it but do you know what their development costs have been over the last 5 years? How about the trends- big increase, decrease, whatever? Point me to those stats before you mention it again. You didn't offer them up in the previous thread and I doubt I'll see them now.

Heck, they didn't go on the cheap with their #2 pick last year and coughed up $4M to a guy who has never used a wooden bat before in his life. And they're going to do that again this year with the #1 pick in the draft. Doesn't that get chalked up to your internal development

Ultimately, the point is, it must be nice for you guys to be able to pick up the phone and try to sign anyone you want. The Royals don't have that luxury- they only get to overpay veterans or try out retreads who are looking to prove themselves over again. It's not like they can fish from a great pool to begin with. And when you have a GM who's trying hard to stick with a youth plan but having to balance it with losing his job.

If the season started today, the Royals would be starting going to be starting 4 guys out of their "starting 15" (lineup, rotation, closer) who are over 30: Sweeney, Emil Brown (career AAAA type guy), Matt Stairs (DH/1B/4th OF), and Mark Redman. That sounds a lot like a youth movment to me and trying to develop young guys. They're just looking to add one or two more veterans so there is at least some leadership for the young guys so the youth movement doesn't fail like the last couple and career head cases like Bradley and Patterson don't fit that bill.

SI

Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #510
Terps
College Prospect

Ramon Hernandez was officially announced as an Oriole today. He and Tejada are excited to play on the same team again, squashing rumors that they were feuding.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:32 PM   #511
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I read somewhere that the Giants may be trying to get Joey Gathright. From what I've heard, he sounds like he has the potential to be an exciting player.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 AM   #512
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The White Sox are close to acquiring Javier Vazquez from the Diamondbacks for Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez and a second pitcher, according to CBS SportsLine.
Getting Young alone for Vazquez would make this an excellent deal for the Diamondbacks. In El Duque, they'd get a pitcher who wouldn't be much less effective than Vazquez was last season, although he's far from a good bet to throw 200 innings. Hopefully, White Sox GM Ken Williams is at least getting the Diamondbacks to cover a portion of Vazquez's salary. Dec. 14 - 12:40 am et
Source: CBS.SportsLine.com
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:44 AM   #513
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Los Angeles Dodgers unloaded Milton Bradley on Tuesday, sending the switch-hitting outfielder to the Oakland Athletics along with infielder Antonio Perez for minor league outfielder Andre Ethier, the Texas League player of the year.
The 27-year-old Bradley hit .290 with 13 homers and 38 RBIs in 283 at-bats. He was limited to 75 games, also missing extensive playing time because of a torn ligament in his right ring finger.

Bradley hit .267 with 19 homers and 67 RBIs in 141 games for the Dodgers in 2004, and .321 with 10 homers and 56 RBIs in 101 games for the Indians in 2003.

The 25-year-old Perez hit .297 with three homers and 23 RBIs in 259 at-bats as a part-time infielder for the Dodgers last season.

Ethier, who bats and throws left-handed, hit .319 in 131 games with 18 homers and 80 RBIs for Midland of the Texas League. He also had 30 doubles among his 161 hits and scored 104 runs. In addition, he played in four games with Triple-A Sacramento of the PCL.

Ethier was a second-round draft pick of the A's in 2003 after playing at Arizona State.

Hmm..wonder how this works for Oakland. Great park to hit homers in for Bradley, tho. This guy better put up or shutup soon, though.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:44 AM   #514
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The White Sox are close to acquiring Javier Vazquez from the Diamondbacks for Chris Young, Orlando Hernandez and a second pitcher, according to CBS SportsLine.
Getting Young alone for Vazquez would make this an excellent deal for the Diamondbacks. In El Duque, they'd get a pitcher who wouldn't be much less effective than Vazquez was last season, although he's far from a good bet to throw 200 innings. Hopefully, White Sox GM Ken Williams is at least getting the Diamondbacks to cover a portion of Vazquez's salary. Dec. 14 - 12:40 am et

The Yankees are still paying for most of his salary, but from what I understood before, the DBacks want to keep that money. WTF..
Old 12-14-2005, 01:46 AM   #515
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

SI

Well..maybe they're just trying to raise the price on him or to show the fans that they're at least trying to woo people to play there.

I dunno, it's a hard situation. But you look at a place like Florida where they just have newbies every few years and wonder what that organization there is doing. Even Tampa, as bad as that team is, has some prospects that they're at least excited about. What's the story with the Royals, like...it's as if this franchise completely fell on its face and hasn't been able to get out of a funk that's lasted almost two decades, which is crazy.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:01 AM   #516
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
I read somewhere that the Giants may be trying to get Joey Gathright. From what I've heard, he sounds like he has the potential to be an exciting player.

From what I've heard, he's fast and that's about it. Hopefully we won't give up much for him, if we do go after him.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #517
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Well..maybe they're just trying to raise the price on him or to show the fans that they're at least trying to woo people to play there.

I dunno, it's a hard situation. But you look at a place like Florida where they just have newbies every few years and wonder what that organization there is doing. Even Tampa, as bad as that team is, has some prospects that they're at least excited about. What's the story with the Royals, like...it's as if this franchise completely fell on its face and hasn't been able to get out of a funk that's lasted almost two decades, which is crazy.
Well, two things: after Kaufman died, the team was run by a committee of stupid, near as I can tell. I wasn't here at the time, but I've seen the aftermath. Bad draft after bad draft- it was sad. Well, Baird has been in place, trying to clean that up for the last 5 years but he made a lot of rookie mistakes and still will make them on occasion. In short, he's bad at playing poker- he can judge talent but doesn't know when to hold them and when to fold them in any sort of negotiations: contracts, trades, etc.

SI

Old 12-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #518
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
From what I've heard, he's fast and that's about it. Hopefully we won't give up much for him, if we do go after him.

That about sums it up with Gathright. Though I have heard that he developed the skill to jump over a car, and now that's basically what he does -- people line up and ask "Hey Joey! Do it!" and he obliges, and jumps over a car. And there was much rejoicing.

Need to work on his, uh, hitting skills, though.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:49 AM   #519
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
That about sums it up with Gathright. Though I have heard that he developed the skill to jump over a car, and now that's basically what he does -- people line up and ask "Hey Joey! Do it!" and he obliges, and jumps over a car. And there was much rejoicing.

Just imagine how a team's PR department could use that - keep an old car in foul territory so he can do an Ozzie Smith-like leap whenever he comes onto the field.

That would be so awesome.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #520
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Trade him to the Phillies or Mets so he can jump over the Phillie Phanatic or Mr Met inside a little car

SI

Old 12-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #521
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

I think this is a better deal for the White Sox than if they had to give up Garland or Contreras. Vazquez will probably pitch in the #4 slot, behind Buerle, Contreras, and Garland. He'd be a great #4 pitcher and with his acquisition, the White Sox would probably have one of the three best staffs in the AL.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:28 PM   #522
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I think Bradley is a talented player, but with some of the stunts he's pulled, this trade looks very dubious to me. The A's have always been a team with great clubhouse chemistry, and I just hope Bradley doesn't mess that up.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #523
Swaggs
Coordinator

I like the acquisitions of Thome and Vazquez. The White Sox are doing a nice job of not resting on their laurels and trying to improve the team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:20 PM   #524
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
I think Bradley is a talented player, but with some of the stunts he's pulled, this trade looks very dubious to me. The A's have always been a team with great clubhouse chemistry, and I just hope Bradley doesn't mess that up.
I've seen some people talking up the minor leaguer Perez that the A's got as much a part of the deal as Bradley so this may be a bit deeper than just how Bradley does.

SI

Old 12-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #525
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bill Mueller takes the two-year offer from the Dodgers over a three-year deal from the Pirates. That is a kick in the crotch, but at least we don't have to give up an early 2nd rounder and $13M.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #526
Ksyrup

The Dodgers have offered contracts to both Kenny Lofton and Reggie Sanders, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
They must not like their chances of signing Johnny Damon. Lofton is deciding between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks, with the Orioles running third, a source close to the negotiations told Rosenthal. Sanders isn't as close to making a decision. Dec. 14 - 1:10 pm et
Old 12-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #527
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The Dodgers have offered contracts to both Kenny Lofton and Reggie Sanders, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
They must not like their chances of signing Johnny Damon. Lofton is deciding between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks, with the Orioles running third, a source close to the negotiations told Rosenthal. Sanders isn't as close to making a decision. Dec. 14 - 1:10 pm et

Has anyone ever figured out why Reggie Sanders is such a traveled player? He seems to produce on every team he's on, yet he seems to switch teams almost every other year....
Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #528
Swaggs
Coordinator

I remember a time when it looked like Reggie Sanders, Raul Mondesi, and Mark Whitten were the next big thing in big league outfielders.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #529
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Has anyone ever figured out why Reggie Sanders is such a traveled player? He seems to produce on every team he's on, yet he seems to switch teams almost every other year....
He seems to be in that rare area where no one thinks he's quite good enough to get a fat long term contract so he can never sign longer than 2 or 3 years. Plus, he's getting up there in years (37) and has never been able to play more than 140 games or 505 ABs in a season. He was with Cincy the first half of his career, but, of late, he's been with 6 teams in 7 years.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-14-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #530
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Hmm..wonder how this works for Oakland. Great park to hit homers in for Bradley, tho. This guy better put up or shutup soon, though.

If Bradley can stay healthy, it's a nice move for Oakland. Still, Ethier looks like a pretty good prospect.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #531
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I remember a time when it looked like Reggie Sanders, Raul Mondesi, and Mark Whitten were the next big thing in big league outfielders.
Hard-hittin' Mark Whitten. That guy was great... his four HR, 12 RBI game is still legendary.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #532
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Hard-hittin' Mark Whitten. That guy was great... his four HR, 12 RBI game is still legendary.

and a rifle for an arm.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #533
Ksyrup

The Arlington Heights Daily Herald believes Jon Garland is a near lock to be traded before the start of next season.
The White Sox have a better chance of locking up Jose Contreras. Garland has already turned down a three-year deal and seems intent on testing the market a year from now. The White Sox would be looking for young pitching to replace him, maybe a couple of left-handers to replace the prospects they had to trade for Jim Thome. Garland's departure would put Brandon McCarthy in the rotation where he belongs. Dec. 15 - 1:14 pm et
Old 12-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #534
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
The Arlington Heights Daily Herald believes Jon Garland is a near lock to be traded before the start of next season.
The White Sox have a better chance of locking up Jose Contreras. Garland has already turned down a three-year deal and seems intent on testing the market a year from now. The White Sox would be looking for young pitching to replace him, maybe a couple of left-handers to replace the prospects they had to trade for Jim Thome. Garland's departure would put Brandon McCarthy in the rotation where he belongs. Dec. 15 - 1:14 pm et

I'll take Garland back with the Cubs, although I suspect it'll take a helluva lot more than Matt Karchner.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:56 PM   #535
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:

I wonder if they would be interested in Hennessey or Correia...though both are righties.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #536
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Kenny Williams is really putting Jim Hendry to shame this offseason.

Damnit.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 PM   #537
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They signed four free agents -- pitcher Scott Elarton, second baseman Mark Grudzielanek, first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz and catcher Paul Bako -- general manager Allard Baird announced Friday morning. Elarton, who signed a two-year contract, figures to be in the starting rotation. Grudzielanek, who signed a one-year deal with a club option for 2007, is expected to be the regular second baseman.

Mientkiewicz is likely to share time with Matt Stairs and perhaps Mike Sweeney at first base. Bako will be the backup to starting catcher John Buck. Mientkiewicz and Bako each got one-year contracts.

The signings filled four gaps in one fell swoop for Baird. However, his search for a slugging outfielder continues.
I like all of these moves except Elarton. Well, Bako's a ho-hum: he's a cheap, veteran backup C. Mientk-- yeah, him, Doug-buy-me-a-vowell (it's going to suck to spell that side of our infield on the lineup card this year)- he'll let Huber have another year in the minors, improve that defense drastically, and allow Sweeney to mostly DH in an attempt to hopefully avoid injury. Grudz-- he'll put Donnie Murphy and Ruben Gotay back in the minors because they just weren't ready last year. Plus, he comes at a decent price for the Royals (1 yr with a 2nd option year at $7M total). It does make me a little sad to see German heading to the bench as I was curious what he could do after we traded for him after the Rule V. That said, this really improves our defense, which should help the young pitchers.

Bako- well, he is what he is, a cheap backup C that will allow Paul Phillips another year in the minors. Elarton is the one I'm suspect about. I loved him when he came up with Houston but then he blew his shoulder out, got exiled to Colorado, and even released there before resurrecting his career in Cleveland. That said, he didn't pitch that impressively and I thought there were better "risk/reward" guys out there like Kim or even a Tomko or something. For two years, Elarton is a borderline criminal signing.

It looks like Baird is trying to get some people back in the minors for more work- these are mostly 1 year contracts that will allow another year of seasoning in AAA for prospects since some guys were rushed.

SI

Old 12-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #538
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This puts the 2006 Royals at:

C Buck
1B Mientkiewicz
2B Grudzielanek
SS Berroa
3B Teahen
LF Guiel/Diaz/Ambres/ to be signed
CF DeJesus
RF Brown
DH Sweeney
Bench: 1B/OF Stairs, C Bako, 2B German, ??

SP Redman, Greinke, Elarton, Hernandez, Affeldt/Wood/Howell/who knows
RP MacDougal, Burgos, Sisco, Dessens

SI

Old 12-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #539
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

C Buck
1B Mientkiewicz
2B Grudzielanek
SS Berroa
3B Teahen
CF DeJesus
RF Brown
DH Sweeney

And it puts the Royals Question For 2006 at:
Could this team play .500 ball in AAA?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:56 PM   #540
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And it puts the Royals Question For 2006 at:
Could this team play .500 ball in AAA?
Oh, c'mon. That's one hell of a AAA team

Look at those mediocre MLB hitters- they're the types that would feast on the perpetual AAAA pitchers (since it seems pitching prospects jump from AA to MLB bullpens a lot now). Now, the pitching is still a little suspect but I think they'll pull through and win the PCL fairly easily

SI

Old 12-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #541
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dear god - they release Matt Diaz, who can hit, in favor of Minky, who can't- brilliant.

That's $1.75 million they could use to add some young players in the draft - a Justin Upton type, since they're going to have the first pick anyway.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 12-16-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #542
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sp.../16seanez.html

The Braves want to add experience to their youthful bullpen, and Rudy Seanez is nothing if not experienced.

Four years after his second stint with the Braves, the 37-year-old right-hander has received an offer to return to Atlanta, his agent said. Boston has an offer on the table and Tampa Bay is also interested in the setup man, who had a resurgence last season with San Diego, going 7-1 with a 2.69 ERA in a career-high 57 appearances.

Agent David Schwartz of CSMG Sports was waiting for a possible offer today from the New York Yankees, but said there was mutual attraction between Seanez and Atlanta, where he pitched in 1998-2000 and again late in 2001.

Also, from the same article, mention of Braves interest in Jeff Conine & Nomar.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-16-2005 at 02:40 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #543
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2262922
NEW YORK -- Ron Villone joined the exodus from the Florida Marlins when the team traded the reliever to the New York Yankees on Friday for minor league pitcher Ben Julianel. ...
The 35-year-old left-hander was a combined 2-3 with a 2.45 ERA in 79 games last season for the Seattle Mariners and the Marlins, who acquired him at the July 31 trade deadline.

Villone, a native of Edgewater, N.J., is joining his 10th major league team after stints with Seattle, San Diego, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Colorado. Houston, Pittsburgh and Florida. He is owed $2 million next season in the second year of a $4.2 million, two-year contract.

Julianel, a 26-year-old left-hander, was 5-3 with a 3.90 ERA in 46 games last season at Double-A Trenton.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-16-2005 at 07:18 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #544
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
This puts the 2006 Royals at:...
Nice half of a double play combo: Grudzielanek to Mientkiewicz. Now even the announcers won't want to be at a Royals game.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:11 PM   #545
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

C Buck
1B Mientkiewicz
2B Grudzielanek
SS Berroa
3B Teahen
CF DeJesus
RF Brown
DH Sweeney

SI

Does Sisco make any money? Some of the guys in New York threw his name at Cashman and he basically said he'd love to have him.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #546
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Does Sisco make any money? Some of the guys in New York threw his name at Cashman and he basically said he'd love to have him.
He doesn't make any money at all- he's a Rule V from last year. And he has a solid future, or so the hope is (TNSTAAPP, of course). Why would a team trade someone like that unless it was for a better talent? It'd be silly to trade that for prospects- he's one year removed from being a prospect.

SI

Old 12-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #547
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Dear god - they release Matt Diaz, who can hit, in favor of Minky, who can't- brilliant.

They dumped a young Nole for an old one.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #548
Vince
Pro Starter

Nomar agrees in principal to a 1-year deal with a base salary of $6M with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Supposedly they have the inside track on Sanders AND Lofton, as well.

What the friggin' hell? Where is this money coming from, McCourt?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #549
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot

That's $1.75 million they could use to add some young players in the draft - a Justin Upton type, since they're going to have the first pick anyway.
Matt Diaz can hit.. in AAA. We don't know much about the majors yet. Let's not talk about this like they just released Albert Pujols. This is someone who has already been released by one team and has now been DFA'd by another.

Plus, if you want to look at this move for move, the player DFA's Friday who corresponds to Minky is Harvey, who probably doesn't have a future in the majors anyways. This was all about improving defense because, in general, the Royals better prospects are on the pitching side, not hitting, and they have no internal solution for 1B defense.

And what's to say they don't sign a Justin Upton type this season because they make this move. What kind of assumption is that? They picked and signed Gordon last year with the 2nd pick for $4M. What more do you want?

I swear- it's a lose/lose no matter what. If they try to spend money on major league players, it's that it's not on development. If they try to spend money on the draft, they're pocketing their league revenue sharing because their payroll is high. If they sign stars, they're overpaying in years and money because no one wants to play in KC so they shouldn't do that. Look beyond the nose on your face- if you're a small market team, you have a hell of a lot more obstacles than if you can just throw money at a problem.

And some teams won't be able to overcome those. But to expect every small market team to have a Billy-effing-Beane level GM to overcome the disparity is ludicrious. Omar Minyana can throw over $100M at a guy who didn't hit .750 OPS last year but the Royals didn't get enough for him somehow. And to expect perfection when larger teams can succeed with so much less than perfection because they have a built in advantage is just selfish and close minded.

SI

Old 12-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #550
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Matt Diaz can hit.. in AAA. We don't know much about the majors yet. Let's not talk about this like they just released Albert Pujols. This is someone who has already been released by one team and has now been DFA'd by another.

Plus, if you want to look at this move for move, the player DFA's Friday who corresponds to Minky is Harvey, who probably doesn't have a future in the majors anyways. This was all about improving defense because, in general, the Royals better prospects are on the pitching side, not hitting, and they have no internal solution for 1B defense.

And what's to say they don't sign a Justin Upton type this season because they make this move. What kind of assumption is that? They picked and signed Gordon last year with the 2nd pick for $4M. What more do you want?

I swear- it's a lose/lose no matter what. If they try to spend money on major league players, it's that it's not on development. If they try to spend money on the draft, they're pocketing their league revenue sharing because their payroll is high. If they sign stars, they're overpaying in years and money because no one wants to play in KC so they shouldn't do that. Look beyond the nose on your face- if you're a small market team, you have a hell of a lot more obstacles than if you can just throw money at a problem.

And some teams won't be able to overcome those. But to expect every small market team to have a Billy-effing-Beane level GM to overcome the disparity is ludicrious. Omar Minyana can throw over $100M at a guy who didn't hit .750 OPS last year but the Royals didn't get enough for him somehow. And to expect perfection when larger teams can succeed with so much less than perfection because they have a built in advantage is just selfish and close minded.

SI

Perhaps, you know - give the guy a chance ? He's performed at every level, but because he's not a "proven" vet, Buddy Bell can give whichever old fart he wants the AB's instead.

As for the rest of your post - Here we go again. Tthe constant excuse making for shoddy performance - Pittsburgh has been bleating the same tune for years. I expect that if teams don't have the resources of others, they have to be smarter - that is simply how the world works. i sympathize with them, but I damn well don't want to see a system like the NFL come anywhere near baseball. For the Royals, Paying $5-10 million extra to go from a 60-65 win team is basically pointless, though I can accept the idea that it sends a message to the "Fans" - but hell, I'd much rather have my team understand that there are cyles of competitiveness, and to take advantage of that. Take this off season - where there is a lot of extra money floating around, and not much a talent. A smart team recognizes that if the value isn't there, you don't buy - trades are a better route to go.

When have you found me or any such advocate complaining they're pocketing money by signing draft picks ? That they are pocketing money is beyond doubt - but that's got nothing to do with the picks. Alex Gordon notwithstanding, $2 million given to Doug "Cant Hit" Minky is doing what for the Royals in the long run ? Look, I understand a team has to appear to compete in a given season - and I admire Baird's signing these guys to short-term deals, making them flippable come the trade deadline. However, the logic in getting rid of a guy like Diaz in favor of a Minky (a 1b who's OPS+ in the last 2 years is 75 and 91!) just makes no sense - and takes revenue away that could have been spent on the farm. That's the kind of stupid move a small market team should not be making.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote