Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2006, 09:04 AM   #501
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Mourinho chucked his medal into the crowd as well as his jacket: another sign that he is off?

Marcotti predicted a couple of months ago that Mourinho was leaving (though he was predicting Real Madrid), hence the attempts to sign of Ballack. He thought the only reason to sign a player who's almost exactly the same as Lampard (only better) was to keep the fans sweet.

Since he works for Chelsea TV, I assumed he wouldn't be predicting something like that without some backing.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #502
Critch
lolzcat

dola.....

Mourinho says he's thought about quitting, but he'll be back next season. So that's killed the summer of will he/won't he chat.

Unless he's lying.......
Old 04-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #503
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
BTW, does the UEFA champ get a bid into the competition next year. I had never thought to find out. Of course, the CL did it for Pool last year, but this is not the CL, and this is not Pool.

The UEFA Cup champ does get a free spot in the next year's competition
Old 04-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #504
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Okay, who wants to complain about my calling Joe Cole one of the top three players of the season now?

Absolutely incredible goal.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #505
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Okay, who wants to complain about my calling Joe Cole one of the top three players of the season now?
Absolutely incredible goal.

Great goal - fantastic footwork and a neat finish ...

(he still isn't quite consistent enough to be a top three of the season for me - I'd put Terry, Lampard and Gerrard for instance in my personal top three ... but I can see your arguement as he's one of the few 'true' flair players England has)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-29-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #506
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Lampard wasn't quite at his best for a couple months in midseason - I wouldn't even have him in my top three Chelsea players of the season (Terry, Cole & Gallas). Though all four of them were very good . . .

Hope Rooney's not out for too long, or Cole will be the only true flair player England have. And if that's the case, then our chances of going far in the tournament drop pretty dramatically- not that they were ever spectacular, as our current starting midfield is really going to struggle to beat teams with more talent than us.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #507
Critch
lolzcat

Rooney out for 6 weeks according to the BBC, fractured metatarsal. Six weeks takes him into the early rounds of the World Cup.

Owen reporting discomfort in his foot after coming back from his foot injury today too.

Hope they're both fit in time, I'm hoping for a full-strength England team so there are no easy excuses when it all goes pear-shaped in Germany
Old 04-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #508
AlexB
Pro Starter

Watching Match of the Day, I would like to be the first to congratulate Newcastle United for their award for the 'Worst Counter Attack In The History of Professional Football'

Titus Bramble runs through behind the defence, but his touch is heavy and he allows the keeper to clear to Babayaro, who tries a crossfield pass that goes directly out for a throw in. Seriously - a parks manager would have fits
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #509
AlexB
Pro Starter

Deleted: double post for some reason

Edit: may as well use it for some reason: if you get the chance, watch Gerrard's 2nd goal: just wow. Get in there!

Last edited by AlexB : 04-29-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #510
Desnudo
Coordinator

Did anyone else catch the Portsmouth v. Wigan match? One of the most entertaining of the season. I'm glad Portsmouth will be staying up, their new signings are great, as is their style of play. Even though D'Alessandro is good in FM, I think he's due for an upgrade. Just a fantastic player.

Last edited by Desnudo : 04-29-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #511
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Rooney out for 6 weeks according to the BBC, fractured metatarsal. Six weeks takes him into the early rounds of the World Cup.

Owen reporting discomfort in his foot after coming back from his foot injury today too.

Hope they're both fit in time, I'm hoping for a full-strength England team so there are no easy excuses when it all goes pear-shaped in Germany

Even if Rooney makes it for the WC Finals he'll be like Beckham was - wary of injuring the foot again and far from match fit. That's a gut-wrenching injury for England fans. Even though they had the Premiership title to celebrate the Chelsea crowd went deadly silent in recognition of that as Rooney was stretchered off.

That match was the pits all round
Old 04-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #512
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
That match was the pits all round

Not from where I'm sitting.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:03 AM   #513
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Ok - to raise my previous point about the importance of an England manager being adaptable .... just out of interest ... presuming Owen and Rooney are injured who would you pick up front?

To be frank I'm not 100% certain myself, definitely not Crouch ... part of the problem is that there's no time to evaluate people at that level before the tournament now.

De Foe and Heskey with Ashton and Bent in the squad would probably be my choice and to be frank I'm not 100% happy with it - but England frankly don't have the backup to the main squad that I'd like ..

PS> The BBC wesbite has a nice squad selector:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...or/3914143.stm
Old 04-30-2006, 06:50 AM   #514
condors
College Starter

I would consider going with Bent and having Scholes play a little pulled back with him can put the through ball for him. Scholes is a fantastic finisher of his own. Also would have Defoe and probally Beattie. My preferance up front would be Bent & Scholes though.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 AM   #515
AlexB
Pro Starter

Scholes hasn't played for 6 months suffering from blurred/double vision, and has retired from international football.

If Owen and Rooney don't make it, I'd have Defoe/Bent alongside Crouch/Ashton, depending on opposition and form. Difficult to choose between them tbh, as all would be gambles at this level
Old 04-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #516
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Or, perhaps, if the England manager was actually adaptable, a switch to a 4-5-1 with Defoe up front? Lampard and Gerrard certainly enjoy going forward enough.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #517
Katon
College Benchwarmer

A 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 would be my pick: a three-man central midfield sorts that problem out, and letting Cole/Lampard/Gerrard move forward more is going to help a lot offensively. I'd go for Crouch or Ashton as the lone striker rather than Defoe, though; Defoe's not big enough to fit the formation well.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #518
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I think the idea of including Crouch is as much that he gives the team a completely different attacking approach that can cause a defence that is coping with the Owen/Rooney partnership different problems than his inherent skill. I don't think he's shown a level of skill that would cause him to be included without that change of attacking style.

Without Rooney and Owen - please no - I would have Defoe there and not much to choose between Bent and Ashton. Both are untested at International level and would very much be a risk.

How about playing Cole in a AM/SS role behind Defoe? Oy maybe go 4-3-2-1 with Cole and Gerrard behind Defoe and bring Carrick in with Lampard and Beckham across the middle? At least Carrick would bring a semblance of defensive play to midfield which is absent from the first choice midfielders

I don't see Rooney playing a significant role now but I hope Owen will be ok.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #519
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
How about playing Cole in a AM/SS role behind Defoe? Oy maybe go 4-3-2-1 with Cole and Gerrard behind Defoe and bring Carrick in with Lampard and Beckham across the middle? At least Carrick would bring a semblance of defensive play to midfield which is absent from the first choice midfielders
I love the idea of giving Cole that sort of freedom, but I'm not convinced at any of the strikers available outside of Rooney being good enough to play as a solo striker at an international level - Ahston possible, but it'd be a huge gamble based on his lack of experience (as indeed most decisions will be if Owen and Rooney are out).
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #520
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

The good news is that Owen came through this weekend's game a little sore but ok according to the doctors. The bad news is that Rooney's injury recovery predictions have dropped back a week - 6/7 weeks now - and Sven is already suggesting he wouldn't be ready for the first two group games even if he recovers quickly.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 04-30-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #521
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Would ESPN just let Arena announce the World Cup roster already?!?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #522
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Would ESPN just let Arena announce the World Cup roster already?!?

You know they can't do that. THey have to streach it out as much as humanly possible!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #523
Dunleavy
High School JV

interesting poll at espn.com, will people watch USA team at world cup...

watch all and watch none are even at 38% each
watch based on sucess 25%
watch just the first game 1%

15,000 votes
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #524
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Midfielders: Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Claudio Reyna, John O'Brien, Ben Olsen, DaMarcus Beasley, Pablo Mastroeni, Bobby Convey.

Forwards: Brian McBride, Eddie Johnson, Josh Wolff, Brian Ching.

Whoa, Ching over Twellman.

Defenders: Eddie Lewis, Oguchi Onyewu, Frankie Hejduk, Eddie Pope, Steve Cherundolo, Cory Gibbs, Carlos Bocanegra, Jimmy Conrad

Keepers: Kasey Keller, Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann

World Cup Alternates:

Goalkeeper: Tony Meola, Matt Reis
Defenders: Chris Albright, Gregg Berhalter, Todd Dunivant
Midfielders: Chris Armas, Chris Klein, Pat Noonan, Steve Ralston, Kerry Zavagnin
Forwards: Conor Casey, Chris Rolfe, Taylor Twellman

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 05-03-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #525
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

No offense to either guy, but I'd prefer to not see Ching or Conrad picking up an appearance for the Nats next month.

If Lando plays as a withdrawn forward or EJ finds his scoring touch again, I like whatever lineup Bruce decides to throw out there.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #526
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Uh oh... Big Soccer is going to be in a tizzy with Twellmen getting left out and Wolff and Ching on the squad!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #527
Blade6119
Coordinator

wow, brian ching over twellman..i can see wolff, but ching has done NOTHING internationally....oh well, i hope mcbride and johnson never come off the pitch
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #528
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
wow, brian ching over twellman..i can see wolff, but ching has done NOTHING internationally....oh well, i hope mcbride and johnson never come off the pitch

I'm pretty irked about Ching over Twellman as well! I can understand Wolff a bit but Ching? Cmon!?
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #529
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Ching is really hot in the early going of the MLS season.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #530
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Apparently Ching is really hot in the early going of the MLS season.
key words, the mls...he has been literally invisible even against bad concaf teams
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #531
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, what do you think Arena is looking at when making the decision?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #532
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, what do you think Arena is looking at when making the decision?
I have to assume there is an issue with either twellmans health or fitness that isnt public. Ive had the impression twellman would have to play his way out of the spot and not ching into it. So id imagine something is behind the scenes we may not know
Demotivation
Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #533
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Arena has made it known in the past that league play would be key. Ching is doing better this year.

And Twellman has scored most of his goals in Friendlies. I believe he has only 1 goal in 13 Qualifiers. So it isn't like he was tearing it up in games that counted.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #534
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Arena has made it known in the past that league play would be key. Ching is doing better this year.

And Twellman has scored most of his goals in Friendlies. I believe he has only 1 goal in 13 Qualifiers. So it isn't like he was tearing it up in games that counted.
But twellman was involved in plays...ching acts like he isnt on the field...granted, arena may have just said look at league...i just hope he did more then that
Demotivation
Old 05-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #535
Desnudo
Coordinator

Hopefully neither he nor Wolff will be needed on the field.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #536
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2
I'm pretty irked about Ching over Twellman as well! I can understand Wolff a bit but Ching? Cmon!?
Better winning aerial balls in traffic. More similar to McBride. Seems to be in better form in MLS, but I'm not convinced that's the main reason for the decision. I thought back around the Germany game that Arena felt more comfortable with Ching's strengths.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #537
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
In fairness, he had at least two wrongfully disallowed for offsides.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #538
moriarty
College Starter

Count me in with the folks who can't believe Ching over Twellman. I've never seen Ching do anything at the National level, and while Twellman did score in some cheapie friendlies ... he still at least scored / didn't look lost.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #539
kingfc22
Head Coach

Anyone care to speculate a lineup for game one vs. the Czechs?
Old 05-03-2006, 03:21 AM   #540
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

From what little I know of the nat team,

Keller
Cherundolo-Onyewu-Pope-Lewis
Donovan-O'Brien-Reyna-Beasley
Johnson-McBride

That is my guess if they use a normal 4-4-2. Pope could be replaced by Gibbs or Bocanegra. Gibbs is in the most in form but I feel Arena would choose Pope's experience. O'Brien starts if he is healthy and in form. If not, maybe start Mastroeni or have Dempsey in on the right and move Donovan to the middle. Convey could challenge Beasley for left wing but I think Arena favors Beasley.

They could also go with 5 middies to clog the middle like with a 352 or 451. 352 would probably see Pope out and either Mastroeni or Dempsey in. 451 would have Johnson out and Mastroeni or Dempsey in.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #541
Butter
Coordinator

I think it'll look like this:

Keller
Cherundolo-Onyewu-Pope-Bocanegra
Mastroeni
O'Brien - Reyna - Convey
Donovan
McBride
Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #542
Flasch186
Coordinator

Rooney is completely out for the WC for England...multiple fractures.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #543
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I think it'll look like this:

Keller
Cherundolo-Onyewu-Pope-Bocanegra
Mastroeni
O'Brien - Reyna - Convey
Donovan
McBride

No Beasley? I think he's gotta be there. O'Brien will be hurt anyway .

I'm thinking that Arena will cycle between a 4-4-2 and a 3-5-2 (and maybe even pull out a 4-5-1) depending on the competition. In 2002, he was very fluid with his formations.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #544
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186

Sucks very hard for England.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #545
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
They're completely screwed. If he wouldn't have been on my 2006 England National team on FM 2006, I wouldn't have won the World Cup.

I'm actually kinda serious about that.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #546
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
No Beasley? I think he's gotta be there. O'Brien will be hurt anyway .

Yeah, he probably will. I think Beasley would be GREAT coming off the bench in a late tie game situation. He can draw fouls like nobody else.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM   #547
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But Beasley has to start. With Donovan, he is probably our best threat on offense. And there is no way Convey should be on the lineup with Beasley healthy.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #548
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
But Beasley has to start. With Donovan, he is probably our best threat on offense. And there is no way Convey should be on the lineup with Beasley healthy.

With all due respect, what has Beasley shown at PSV this season to indicate that he should be in the first XI? Convey is probably the most in-form player of any on the US squad. How can you not play him?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #549
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Convey is probably the most in-form player of any on the US squad. How can you not play him?

Easily. In the changeroom before the game.. say, "Beasley, you're on the wing. Convey, you're on the bench."

Any other questions?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #550
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

After the friendly in Germany, Arena commented negatively on Convey's defensive play. Taking that and the fact that Donovan and Beasley seem to play particularly well together, and I'd guess that Beasley will play against Czechia.

If I were going to bet on the lineup assuming full health, it'd be:
Keller
'Dolo, Gooch, Pope, Lewis
Reyna, Mastroeni, O'Brien, Beasley
Donovan, McBride

If, as seems likely, O'Brien is not sufficiently fit to start, I'd guess BA would swap Dempsey in for him and push Reyna more centrally.