Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #501
henry296
College Starter

I am also playing on XBox. Very enjoyable, unfortunately didn't get any games in last night. I've never trusted my fielding in a video game, so I too use assisted fielding.

Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #502
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I used MizzouRah's sliders last night, and also adjusted the pitch accuracy to -5 for both user and CPU. Playing as Boston at Chicago Cubs, I won 5-3. It was by far my most enjoyable game. Schilling gave up three early runs, including a homerun by Sosa. I battled back once I knocked out Glendon Rusch and took the 5-3 lead into the 9th. Then Keith Foulke proceeded to load the bases with one out. It took a double play to get him out of the jam.

I still need to work on patience at the plate. If I hadn't been so damn eager, I would have had 3 or 4 walks last night. I ended up walking 2 in 9 innings, which isn't great. Perhaps I'll bump the user pitch accuracy down to -10 and see how that works.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:12 AM   #503
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Wow, awesome site!

All I did was edit Bonds with the CAP I posted above. in the updated online roster as I've read some of the user created rosters were having some weird issues with CPU roster management.

Todd

no problem. glad you like that site.

dont worry, you wont have any problems if you just edit names and player info for fake players.

i think the people that are having problems with roster is when there creating a lot of new players not in the game.

if you only edit the fake names to the real name and use that web site above for info how to make them look like the real player you will be ok.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #504
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fielding:
User OF Speed (manual): (-5)
User OF Speed (mvp): (-5)
CPU OF Speed: (-5)

User INF Speed (manual): (-3)
User INF Speed (mvp): (-3)
CPU INF Speed: (-3)

User Baserunning Speed: (5)
CPU Baserunning Speed: (5)

I play with the 6/4 view, assissted fielding, everything off EXCEPT for pitch cursor which is set to fade.

Todd

In MVP2005, the only settings for User infielder (or outfielder) speeds are for manual or MVP mode, which don't apply for assisted fielding.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #505
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Only a 9? C'mon duDe, this game r0cks foo.

Good review.

Todd

Blame Kuiper and Krukow.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #506
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
In MVP2005, the only settings for User infielder (or outfielder) speeds are for manual or MVP mode, which don't apply for assisted fielding.

I'm a manual fielder, but perhaps the CPU sliders are what you have to tinker with on assisted (since the CPU is the one doing the fielding afterall).
Old 03-16-2005, 12:14 PM   #507
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sure they do - well, that's what the CPU INF Speed is for (assissted), just like TRO said.

I don't have the time to mess with all the CAP's, just wanted to make sure the most feared hitter in baseball is in the game.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #508
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
I used MizzouRah's sliders last night, and also adjusted the pitch accuracy to -5 for both user and CPU. Playing as Boston at Chicago Cubs, I won 5-3. It was by far my most enjoyable game. Schilling gave up three early runs, including a homerun by Sosa. I battled back once I knocked out Glendon Rusch and took the 5-3 lead into the 9th. Then Keith Foulke proceeded to load the bases with one out. It took a double play to get him out of the jam.

I still need to work on patience at the plate. If I hadn't been so damn eager, I would have had 3 or 4 walks last night. I ended up walking 2 in 9 innings, which isn't great. Perhaps I'll bump the user pitch accuracy down to -10 and see how that works.

Glad you're having fun.

About pitching, I look at it this way, if I'm a major league pitcher and I want to pitch a strike, I should be able to. I don't want to dummy the pitch meter to make me throw a ball when I'm trying to throw a strike. That's where the "variable stuff" and ump's variable strikezone comes in. Having said that, I only hit the "perfect" pitch about once every other ab.. sometimes more, sometimes less.

If men are on base and someone like Berkman comes up, I try to nibble or just walk the batter, if needed. In MVP on AS, if you pitch one down the middle, more times than not it's going to get crushed. I found that out last night.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-16-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:43 PM   #509
jbmagic
Pro Starter

MizzouRah

are you seeing walks by the user and cpu teams?

i probably need to be more patience at the plate.

also i seen shortstop make catches by going back close to the left field player to make a catch.

i seen 2b, go out close to the centerfielder player to make a catch.

i seen 1b, go close to the rightfielder player to make a catch.

you usually dont see that in the majors that often.

when the ball is out that far, the outfielder usually takes the play.

is that a problem with MVP 2005? what can i do to fix that?

i seen this with cpu and human teams
Old 03-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #510
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MizzouRah

also i seen shortstop make catches by going back close to the left field player to make a catch.

Yep, I see plenty of walks. My pitcher was walked in with the bases loaded the other night.

Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #511
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
MizzouRah

I've seen the infielders roam a little bit too. I thought changing the infielder speed would help, but I don't think so any more. I've seen some people try to change the CPU catch effort and make it lower. That would also help if you have assisted fielding.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #512
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
MizzouRah

It does seem like the SS and 2B go out too far for pop ups/fly balls. I don't know if you can fix that with sliders or not. It's not a game killer for me by any means.

Also, I can definitely get walks. You do have to be patient though.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #513
sooner333
College Starter

Any way to edit players in owner mode? I just restarted mine, using the default EA rosters, but only edited Bonds before I started. Now I'm four games in, and don't feel like playing the Dodgers in opening week for the third time.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:53 PM   #514
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
I've seen the infielders roam a little bit too. I thought changing the infielder speed would help, but I don't think so any more. I've seen some people try to change the CPU catch effort and make it lower. That would also help if you have assisted fielding.

Also been seeing this. I've seen fielders catching weak liners over their heads that seem like they should be dropping in for hits, but they mosey out and catch it.

Not nearly enough to ruin the game for me, but yeah it can get annoying, and a slider adjustment that would fix this would be great.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #515
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Also been seeing this. I've seen fielders catching weak liners over their heads that seem like they should be dropping in for hits, but they mosey out and catch it.

Not nearly enough to ruin the game for me, but yeah it can get annoying, and a slider adjustment that would fix this would be great.

With the small tweaks I made, I haven't seen it unless it was a pop fly, but then again I play with the Cardinals and have a great defense. I have seen bloopers drop in between the 3B/LF and 1B/RF plenty of times though. Decreasing the INF speed anymore just makes them slower when running out to catch the ball - I don't think it has any effect on them deciding to go out into the OF.

Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #516
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
It does seem like the SS and 2B go out too far for pop ups/fly balls. I don't know if you can fix that with sliders or not. It's not a game killer for me by any means.

Also, I can definitely get walks. You do have to be patient though.

cool
so the CPU OF and IF Speed sliders works for automatic and assisted too.

that great news. maybe this will help make the 1st base, 2nd base, ss, to not go out all the way close to the outfield to make a catch.

maybe setting CPU OF and IF Speed sliders to -5 if you use automatic or assisted can help that.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #517
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
cool
so the CPU OF and IF Speed sliders works for automatic and assisted too.

that great news. maybe this will help make the 1st base, 2nd base, ss, to not go out all the way close to the outfield to make a catch.

maybe setting CPU OF and IF Speed sliders to -5 if you use automatic or assisted can help that.

In my experience, -5 for the infielders has too many rountine grounders going through for hits. That's why I went down to -3 for the infield, and I like it.

I do agree with with -5 for the outfield though.

Todd
Old 03-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #518
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you using the latest tweaks I posted? If so, how are they working?

Luckily I don't play SF for awhile... although the Pirates are off to a 4-0 start.

I'm back to playing all my games again as I just can't take myself away from this game.

Todd

I'm using your latest tweaks (-5 for outfielders and -3 for infielders, +5 for runners) and I think that is the best combo. Like you, I was seeing too many hits go through the infield. I now see a good realistic number of hits getting through the infield. I also see that the slower reactions have infielders making some "good" errors on plays as they get to the ball just a little too late

I'm looking forward to playing some more later tonight. It's difficult (in a good way) as both this and FM have me pulling in different directions
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #519
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm thinking -4 might be a good balance for the infielders, since otherwise they get to too many outfield pop flies.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #520
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm using your latest tweaks (-5 for outfielders and -3 for infielders, +5 for runners) and I think that is the best combo. Like you, I was seeing too many hits go through the infield. I now see a good realistic number of hits getting through the infield. I also see that the slower reactions have infielders making some "good" errors on plays as they get to the ball just a little too late

I'm looking forward to playing some more later tonight. It's difficult (in a good way) as both this and FM have me pulling in different directions

That's good to hear. I'm getting ready to fire up the Xbox now for a game or two... ok I'll be up most of the night.

Sack,
I still like -3 for the simple fact I'm seeing some really neat plays in the infield right now. Hurried throws, weak/strong arms.. etc.. I honestly haven't seen a pop up that made me say, that should have dropped in, but I have seen some really nice bloopers drop... but by all means post some impressions using -4.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-16-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #521
jbmagic
Pro Starter

just to pass this along.

the game comes with manager tendencies for each team like when to pitch hit,hit and run, sub players, bunt, intentional walks, etc. its different for each manager and team.

and it has home intensity level, intensity level rating against each team, and manager rating. it all different for each team.

the only bad part you can't change it with sliders in the game.

if you have the pc version, you can edit it all for each team with MVPedit utility. and your able to see what each team manager profile setting is on the roster.

so its not all about player rating ability only. those things i mention above has some impact too.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:13 AM   #522
SackAttack
Head Coach

That's pretty sweet. HH2k used to let you do that. It's a shame MVP doesn't, at least for the consoles, but it's great to hear they've implemented that somehow.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:35 AM   #523
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just ordered this - have been gunshy about baseball games since EA and HH let me down, so I'm crossing my fingers on this.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:56 AM   #524
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
just ordered this - have been gunshy about baseball games since EA and HH let me down, so I'm crossing my fingers on this.

hi

you going to love mvp 2005. it so awesome.

i hope you get the pc version, because there so many mods and updated roster, facepacks, stadium, uniforms, etc.

Last edited by jbmagic : 03-18-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:59 AM   #525
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh yeah, PC for sure
Old 03-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #526
jbmagic
Pro Starter

there is a thread over at MVPMods.com that describes a way to unlocks all the rewards.

Someone found that if you go into the in-game roster editor and create a player named "Katie Roy", it will unlock all the rewards.

If you create a player named "Neverlose Sight", it unlocks the Red Sox St. Patrick's Day uniform.

When you add these players, it puts them on the Free Agent List, but if you save your profile and then remove the two players, you will find that the rewards are still there.

Also, as an FYI, it appears that the Red Sox St. Patrick's Day uniforms can only be used if the Sox are the home team.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #527
hukarez
College Starter

Wow. 11 pages of text already!

In any case, has anyone been using Pared's sliders on Operation Sports? I tried them out and was using them -- it's a bit challenging to say the least. A pity I'm never patient at the plate, it wasn't until my 3rd or 4th game that I actually managed to get a walk.

Aside from that, I've been having memorable games so far. Clearly, a lot more enjoyable once I got that mentality of "the L stick dictates HOW you hit the ball, not where you swing the bat" out of my system.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #528
samifan24
Pro Starter

How do you guys steal? I have Coco Crisp on my team and am something like 0 for 6 over nearly a month's worth of games. I'm even getting gunned down by guys like the Mariners' Miguel Olivo! Help!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:36 PM   #529
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
How do you guys steal? I have Coco Crisp on my team and am something like 0 for 6 over nearly a month's worth of games. I'm even getting gunned down by guys like the Mariners' Miguel Olivo! Help!

Push the "R" stick up two times. Before the pitch push the D-pad up. That's it, stolen base most of the time.

Todd
Old 03-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #530
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Push the "R" stick up two times. Before the pitch push the D-pad up. That's it, stolen base most of the time.

Todd

I've been hitting up on the D-pad once each time I try to steal.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #531
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
I've been hitting up on the D-pad once each time I try to steal.

Yeah, the right stick is your lead off button.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #532
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I made the same mistake of not leading off, and Rollins was routinely getting thrown out. Now that I'm using the R stick to lead off by a few steps, he is 27 of 28 stealing (I don't run against guys who I know have a very strong arm of 90 or higher.)
Old 03-18-2005, 07:39 PM   #533
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is there a way to have baserunning on automatic?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:58 AM   #534
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I made the same mistake of not leading off, and Rollins was routinely getting thrown out. Now that I'm using the R stick to lead off by a few steps, he is 27 of 28 stealing (I don't run against guys who I know have a very strong arm of 90 or higher.)

You can check that too with the quick-manager button, which is I believe the white button on offense. Just click over to their lineup, find the catcher, and look at his ratings. Almost as cool as the ability to track every pitch for each at-bat in a game.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #535
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
is there a way to have baserunning on automatic?

Don't touch the stick.

Todd
Old 03-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #536
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
You can check that too with the quick-manager button, which is I believe the white button on offense. Just click over to their lineup, find the catcher, and look at his ratings. Almost as cool as the ability to track every pitch for each at-bat in a game.

You learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-19-2005, 01:19 PM   #537
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who made this mistake. I just assumed that the runner always took a lead automatically, which is why I never knew I had to increase his lead. I hope to have similar success with Coco Crisp because the man can fly.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #538
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

can someone walk me through how i can leadoff using the keyboard? cuz I'm confused.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:43 PM   #539
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
You learn something new every day. Thanks for the tip!

No problem. I've almost literally been discovering new things in this game every time I play. I could easily have gone another month before writing my review, but, well, sometimes you gotta shit or get off the pot.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #540
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fielding:
User OF Speed (manual): (-5)
User OF Speed (mvp): (-5)
CPU OF Speed: (-5)

User INF Speed (manual): (-3)
User INF Speed (mvp): (-3)
CPU INF Speed: (-3)

User Baserunning Speed: (5)
CPU Baserunning Speed: (5)

I play with the 6/4 view, assissted fielding, everything off EXCEPT for pitch cursor which is set to fade.

After playing many more games, I'd have to say MVP 2005 is my favorite baseball game *ever* on a console... or any other graphical sports game I've played. I truly love this game and these settings work perfectly for my level of play.

I wore my Logitech wireless controller out, called Logitech and told them my "A" button was sticking. Although my warranty ran out 2 weeks ago, they sent me a brand new wireless precision joystick. I like this one better than my last one.

Playing a series in PNC park, you can really tell these small tweaks make the game so much fun to play and watch. Maybe it's the fraction of a second feedback from the wireless joystick that makes pitching a challenge for me, but I haven't even thrown a shutout yet - after 60+ games. HAHA!!

Play in a small park and HR's win games, play in a big park and hits dominate the game. I'm seeing errors on rushed throws, players thrown out at home, runners on first going to third on a single to RF, runners on 2nd coming home after a hit, and many more great things. No two games are alike thanks to things like varible strikezones, blown calls, arguing with the umps, and players who go through various streaks - especially pitchers. Playing a tight game vs the Pirates 4-4 tie in the 8th and Walker throws out Jason Bay at home, the call could have went either way but the ump called him out... out comes the Pirates manager who gets in a heated argument. Things like that really get you immersed in the game. Good stuff!

Todd
Old 03-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #541
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Don't touch the stick.

Todd

but will they try to steal for you too?
Old 03-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #542
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but will they try to steal for you too?

No, you have to do that manually.

Todd
Old 03-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #543
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just had my funniest play ever. If I wasn't already up 1-0, I'd probably be mad that I was robbed of a hit.

I'm playing against the Mets who are currently 1 game ahead of me in the division and I have Rollins up against Pedro Martinez in the 3rd. He throws a slider up high, and Rollins smacks it right up the middle. Pedro turns his body, but it bounces off his chest, up into the air, hits him in the head, bounces up again, and then lands in his glove for the out!

I'm with Todd. This is my favorites graphical baseball game ever.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #544
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I love how they model the players so accurately. Piazza has a pathetic arm with a 40/40 rating for accuracy and power. Michaels got his first steal against him which led to my first run. Now, I just had Abreu steal second, but Piazza threw it high and Abreu ended up with 3rd on the error. Thome came through in the clutch and hit a single to bring Abreu home. Guys just play reasonably similar to how I expect them to do so IRL
Old 03-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #545
jbmagic
Pro Starter

why is the Infielders wandering off to the deep outfield to make a catch?

i just seen a 2nd base player run from 2nd base player go to deep outfield near right field line to make a catch.

that not realistic at all. that the outfielder job.

i love this game.

but seing the infielders go out very deep. is kinda crazy.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #546
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
why is the Infielders wandering off to the deep outfield to make a catch?

i just seen a 2nd base player run from 2nd base player go to deep outfield near right field line to make a catch.

that not realistic at all. that the outfielder job.

i love this game.

but seing the infielders go out very deep. is kinda crazy.

If that's all you have to be pissed about, I'd say kudos to EA. Really, I don't see this near as much as you do. IRL, an outfielder will wave off an infielder most of the time, but there's maybe a handful of times where it looks goofy, imo. Maybe it's because you're playing the pc version, I don't know.. but I'm not seeing it. Just had a deep pop that Reggie Sanders took the catch and the SS stayed put. The only times I see this is when it could drop for a bloop hit as my OF is playing deep for a power hitter.

Todd
Old 03-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #547
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

In two games against the Mets, my Cardinals had to face Martinez and Glavine. Glavine pitched a 1-hitter on us (Pujols got a two-out pinch-hit single in the 9th inning). I haven't been able to get any speed on the bases in either game to take advantage of Piazza's sorry arm. The series finale is about to start RIGHT NOW! Off to the XBox I go!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #548
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
In two games against the Mets, my Cardinals had to face Martinez and Glavine. Glavine pitched a 1-hitter on us (Pujols got a two-out pinch-hit single in the 9th inning). I haven't been able to get any speed on the bases in either game to take advantage of Piazza's sorry arm. The series finale is about to start RIGHT NOW! Off to the XBox I go!

Glavine was tough on me too

He was responsible for my only loss in the series. His circle change ate me alive.

Martinez on the other hand started running out of gas in the 5th, and I pounded him for 4 runs in the 5th on the way to a 6-0 win.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #549
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm nearing the end of spring training. I had a fun game against the Indians yesterday. They went up 1-0, we clawed out 3 runs in the bottom of the 5th to take the lead, they got to Penny for 3 runs in the top of the 6th, and then we had homers from our #3, #4, and #6 hitters - Luis E. Gonzalez (our new 3B), Drew, and Bradley to take the lead for good, 6-4. Those little power surges are always great.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #550
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

try leading off with right analog stick.. you can take up to 3 steps. that helps out but watch out for the pickoff.