Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #501
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO
The problem with Bo's choice was that the band and backup vocals drowned out his voice. Certainly not a horrible performance, but not one that showcased his voice.

Honestly, it was just a bad song. Not in the "wrong for him" sense. Just in the "not that great a song" sense.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #502
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He's a rocker. Rockers don't usually showcase their voice. The vocals are part of the band. I know that's not what AI is about, but he needs to stick with that program, with a couple of performances like last week mixed in. With him, it's more about stage presence, sounding good, and giving a good performance. When he can also pull off a vocal-centric (if that's not a word, I just made it one) song, that's even better.

Basically, he's the opposite of someone like Nikko, who feels like he has to dominate the entire song and do the Usher vocal "warble" in order to prove that he's a good singer. That's probably why I find him so irritating.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-30-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #503
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
He's a rocker. Rockers don't usually showcase their voice. The vocals are part of the band. I know that's not what AI is about, but he needs to stick with that program, with a couple of performances like last week mixed in. With him, it's more about stage presence, sounding good, and giving a good performance. When he can also pull off a vocal-centric (if that's not a word, I just made it one) song, that's even better.

Basically, he's the opposite of someone like Nikko, who feels like he has to dominate the entire song and do the Usher vocal "warble" in order to prove that he's a good singer. That's probably why I find him so irritating

Yes, but performing songs people like would also be very helpfull.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 AM   #504
Ksyrup

Remedy by Black Crowes is a bad song?!

No wonder regular old rock music has all but disappeared.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #505
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Remedy by Black Crowes is a bad song?!

No wonder regular old rock music has all but disappeared.

Yes, it is. It is a sort of boring compared to some of the Black Crowes better songs.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 AM   #506
Ksyrup

Again, I just have to wonder how Remedy can be considered a song people don't like. 14 year old girls and 50 year old women, I understand.

Sheesh...no wonder no one's ever heard of guys like Will Hoge. He's just rocks, without the subgenre gimmicky crap that people apparently need these days.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:19 AM   #507
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Again, I just have to wonder how Remedy can be considered a song people don't like. 14 year old girls and 50 year old women, I understand.

Sheesh...no wonder no one's ever heard of guys like Will Hoge. He's just rocks, without the subgenre gimmicky crap that people apparently need these days.

Judgemental much? I like the Black Crowes, old rock music (especially Bo's genre of Southern Rock) and I don't need "gimmicky" crap. I personally think that song sucks. Are you seriuosly suggesting that I'm the reason for the end of "great music" because I don't like one freeking song? Get a grip, man.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 AM   #508
Thomkal
Head Coach

I thought last night was the worst week of performances this season. None of them really made me stand up and notice them. Here's how I rank them.

1. Nadia-Back to her usual self and hair, sold the song well with a couple rough spots.

2. Constantine-With the guy who I thought shouldn't have been in the Top 12, getting my second choice this week you know it was a bad week. Just liked how he really seemed to get in the mood of the song, and his voice though never my favorite, was probably most in tune last night.

3. Vonzell-Cringed when saw she was doing a Whitney song, because almost no one does it well. She did a decent job though, but my problem with her has been she's always on the borderline between too much over the top or not, and I think she was a little bit too much tonight. Still looked great and its hard not to like her as she has so much fun on the stage.

4. Bo-Didn't like the song, and like TRO really thought the band kind of drowned him out. But he gave his usual solid performance on stage and should be in no danger of being in the bottom 3 this week.

5. Jessica-Tried to show a softer side, and didn't really work. She sounds best when she kind of has an attitude about her. Certainly deserves to stick around though.

6. Nikko-Picks songs I'm either not familiar with/and or don't like that much, but has good stage presence. He's different than the rest, and should have been in the Top 12 to begin with.

7. Carrie-I like Independence Day when Martina McBride sings it, and never like it when anyone else sings it. Carrie just has about zero stage presence, she should have been singing that song with a lot of passion and attitude on the stage, instead she just stayed in one spot (again) and sang a semi-passionate version of the song. She's cute and brings a country angle to the show, but she's just got to step up and perform and the judges need to start calling her on it.

8. Scott-performance was really weak in the beginning, but got better at the end. Seemed to really get into the mood of the song, but its just difficult to watch him perform without cringing a little. (a la Josh Gracin)

9. Anwar-Tries to sing some "younger" songs after Moon River and the like, and just can't pull it out. Just doesn't seem to have the "vibe" or "X-factor".

10-Federov-Anthony just seems out of place up there. He certainly tries to bring some stage presence and performance, just seems awkward most of the time, and his voice just isn't on the same level as the guy he's compared to-Clay Aiken. Plus the way he sang the word you with his accent drove me crazy. Still a nice guy and great life story.

Oh and a comment with the Josh Gracin debate-He's actually put out the album I like best of the ones I've heard from the Idol competitors. Thanks to technology they smoothed out most of his rough spots and gave him songs that mostly work for him. Plus I don't have to look at him when he sings when I listen to the CD.

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-30-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:07 AM   #509
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Vonzell is really beautiful.

Yes yes. *Really* nice looking woman.

And I thought there were a lot of poor performances...Anwar, Scott, Nikko all sounded WAY off key to me. I didn't think Federov was half bad, though he still wasn't great.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #510
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO
The problem with Bo's choice was that the band and backup vocals drowned out his voice.

This seems to happen way too often on the show IMO.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 AM   #511
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My Top 5 from last night (I can't sing a lick either):

1. Vonzell - very risky singing a Whitney Houston song, but she nailed it
2. Carrie - ok, so I'm bias here because I think she's cute, but she still has the best voice of the group, imo.
3. Constantine - usually in my bottom, but he did well
4. Nikko - sounded great, imo
5. Federov - don't think he's all that great, but he did well tonight

Who should leave?
Overall, I still think Federov should get booted - but just based on last night it would be Nadia. I don't know, she just didn't bring it.. imo.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #512
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Judgemental much? I like the Black Crowes, old rock music (especially Bo's genre of Southern Rock) and I don't need "gimmicky" crap. I personally think that song sucks. Are you seriuosly suggesting that I'm the reason for the end of "great music" because I don't like one freeking song? Get a grip, man.

You DID say it would help if Bo was performing "songs that people liked". So the comment in response was totally warrented. People like the song as you've seen on the thread. Just because YOU don't like the song doesn't mean that's a consensus opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
Carrie-I like Independence Day when Martina McBride sings it, and never like it when anyone else sings it.

Yeah, it's the Whitney Houston rule. Martina McBride has such an AMAZING voice that no one that tries to sing one of her songs will come close to it.

--

Btw, this is the first show I saw this season since the first few (the bad singers). I guess I was jaded from last season with Fantasia and co. I liked Bo, you rock, my man! And Nadia was great as well on that. Could Constantine be any more cheese? I know he was supposed to be 'rock', from what I've read, but he don't look it anymore.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-30-2005 at 09:02 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #513
Ksyrup

Quote:

Yeah, my response was not about you, but what "people" think. If you are accurate in your impression that most people don't like that song (as opposed to liking other BC songs better), then I think that's symptomatic of how far down the toilet rock music has gone in the public's eye. If you took the Rolling Stones from 30-40 years ago, when they were making worthwhile music, and put them in today's setting, they'd probably be nothing. At best, perhaps Mick would have an Evan Dando/Noel Gallagher presence among the general population, but otherwise, they'd be stuck in neutral.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM   #514
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Yes yes. *Really* nice looking woman.

And I thought there were a lot of poor performances...Anwar, Scott, Nikko all sounded WAY off key to me. I didn't think Federov was half bad, though he still wasn't great.

I can't stand Federov, but I thought last night was actually decent *for him*. I didn't automatically picture him singing in front of Mickey, Minnie, and Pluto.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #515
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
Carrie just has about zero stage presence, she should have been singing that song with a lot of passion and attitude on the stage, instead she just stayed in one spot (again) and sang a semi-passionate version of the song. She's cute and brings a country angle to the show, but she's just got to step up and perform and the judges need to start calling her on it.

I took my wife to see LeeAnn Rimes about 6 or 7 years ago, and I swear, I've never seen someone with so little stage presence in my life. Amazing voice, absolutely awful (boring) show. She stood in one place nearly the entire time. As did her 10-piece (with a sound that could have been pulled off by a trio) country band.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-30-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:26 AM   #516
NevStar
High School Varsity

For this week:

1. Vonzell
2. Dead Eyes Carrie
3. Bo
4. Ozzie Jr.
(huge gap)
5. Nadia
6. Rat Face
7. Jessica
8. Fedorov
9. Scott
10. Anwar

I think Scott'll be gone this week, which is a shame, because I've liked his earlier rounds.

Carrie's eyes while she's singing still look like she's seeking out fresh brains for dinner.

I am ashamed to be posting in this thread.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #517
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I thought they were all mostly very good outside of:

Scott sucked. Why in the world would he attempt that song. Dude, Bryan McKnight you are not.

Federov...meh. We already have a Clay.

Those two to me were clearly at the bottom. The rest were good.

Nikko nailed that song. Sounded like it was right off the CD. I also liked Constantine. Dunno, just stood out to me.

I'm not a country guy but Carrie was impressive.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-30-2005 at 09:29 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #518
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
My Top 5 from last night (I can't sing a lick either):

1. Vonzell - very risky singing a Whitney Houston song, but she nailed it
2. Carrie - ok, so I'm bias here because I think she's cute, but she still has the best voice of the group, imo.
3. Constantine - usually in my bottom, but he did well
4. Nikko - sounded great, imo
5. Federov - don't think he's all that great, but he did well tonight

Who should leave?
Overall, I still think Federov should get booted - but just based on last night it would be Nadia. I don't know, she just didn't bring it.. imo.

Todd

I thought I was the only one who thought Nadia was not all that great last night. I love her, and I thought she was a lot better last week than anyone gave her credit for, but for some reason this week didn't do it for me. I think the guitars were really drowning her out and they were distracting. I don't believe she should go, though. For me, either Federov or Anwar should go. Seeing as how Federov was bottom 3 last week, and it seems anyway that majority opinion on Nadia is that she did much better, I would think he's the obvious boot. Then again, John Stevens made it to the final 5 or 6 last year, so who knows. FWIW, and this obviously means nothing, AOL has a vote for you favorite performance, and Federov and Nikko have the least votes with Nadia joining them in the bottom 3.

Last edited by jetpunk2000 : 03-30-2005 at 09:31 AM.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #519
Ksyrup

I liked Nadia, but then again, she rocked. However, if there was one comment I expected to hear from at least one of the judges (well, OK, one of the 2 semi-judges, not the Stuart Smalley cheerleader bitch in between them) was that parts of it came across as if she was yelling. Someone did say that it wasn't all that melodic of a song (Paula?!), but I think what they meant was that she was screaming parts of it instead of singing.

Of course, as someone who digs Lamb of God, screaming's cool wit' me!

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-30-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #520
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
I liked Nadia, but then again, she rocked. However, if there was one comment I expected to hear from at least one of the judges (well, OK, one of the 2 semi-judges, not the Stuart Smalley cheerleader bitch in between them) was that parts of it came across as if she was yelling. Someone did say that it wasn't all that melodic of a song (Paula?!), but I think what they meant was that she was screaming parts of it instead of singing.

Of course, as someone who digs Lamb of God, screaming's cool wit' me!
I also find screaming cool at times. Unfortunately, the target audience in this competition most likely doesn't. I certainly didn't think she was awful last night, but coming off the fact that she was in the bottom 3 last week, I think she needed to appeal to the audience more. Maybe she did, and I hope that people vote for her, I just didn't get a good feeling watching last night that the 14 year old girls watching and voting were going to be into that.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #521
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000
I thought I was the only one who thought Nadia was not all that great last night. I love her, and I thought she was a lot better last week than anyone gave her credit for, but for some reason this week didn't do it for me. I think the guitars were really drowning her out and they were distracting. I don't believe she should go, though. For me, either Federov or Anwar should go. Seeing as how Federov was bottom 3 last week, and it seems anyway that majority opinion on Nadia is that she did much better, I would think he's the obvious boot. Then again, John Stevens made it to the final 5 or 6 last year, so who knows. FWIW, and this obviously means nothing, AOL has a vote for you favorite performance, and Federov and Nikko have the least votes with Nadia joining them in the bottom 3.

I find it funny how Scott always escapes elimination and Nikko's name always comes up. There's just something about Scott I just don't like, not his big poppa look, maybe it was his attitude when early on he was supposed to be singing with two other guys and he was acting like an ass.

Todd
Old 03-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #522
Ksyrup

I had completely forgotten Scott was the antisocial moron from the first shows. Wow. Although, I guess I can understand it, looking back. He's clearly not a performer, and all the crap about choreography probably put him in the fetal position. I like him, he's got a great voice, but I don't think he's AI material at this point. But until last night, I thought he at least sang in tune, unlike Nikko. I don't know, maybe it's the warbling that just throws his voice out of whack for me.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-30-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #523
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had completely forgotten Scott was the antisocial moron from the first shows. Wow. Although, I guess I can understand it, looking back. He's clearly not a performer, and all the crap about choreography probably put him in the fetal position. I like him, he's got a great voice, but I don't think he's AI material at this point. But until last night, I thought he at least sang in tune, unlike Nikko. I don't know, maybe it's the warbling that just throws his voice out of whack for me.

Yeah, that was Scott. Saying something like, "Those other two guys are not going to ruin it for me." blah..

Maybe Nikko does about the same type dance each week, but I still think he can sing. Plus he's The Wizards son!

Todd
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #524
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that was Scott. Saying something like, "Those other two guys are not going to ruin it for me." blah..

Maybe Nikko does about the same type dance each week, but I still think he can sing. Plus he's The Wizards son!

Todd

If Nikko does a back flip like his Father, he will win it.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:42 PM   #525
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

There's nothing wrong with the Black Crowes. As an Idol song, though, that particular one didn't work. A lot of rocker songs are band songs, where the singer is just one instrument among many. You add in some guitar licks, heavy drums, and it all adds up.

Bo was just playing one piece of that band in a more antiseptic environment. That's why it didn't add up to a great performance.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:42 PM   #526
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hmm, I wonder why his "Planet of the Apes Boy" nickname didn't stick from those early episodes.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #527
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
There's nothing wrong with the Black Crowes. As an Idol song, though, that particular one didn't work. A lot of rocker songs are band songs, where the singer is just one instrument among many. You add in some guitar licks, heavy drums, and it all adds up.

Bo was just playing one piece of that band in a more antiseptic environment. That's why it didn't add up to a great performance.

I think you are right on with that (even though I still say that is not a good BC song, even if that does signal the death of good music ).
Old 03-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #528
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
You DID say it would help if Bo was performing "songs that people liked". So the comment in response was totally warrented. People like the song as you've seen on the thread. Just because YOU don't like the song doesn't mean that's a consensus opinion.

That was my opinion (that people didn't like the song). It is not like I took a survey or something. I also didn't say all people doln't like the song. I don't think most people like that song and I think the idea that the music world is going down the toilet because some, most, large percentages of people don't like one BC song is silly at best.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #529
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, my response was not about you, but what "people" think. If you are accurate in your impression that most people don't like that song (as opposed to liking other BC songs better), then I think that's symptomatic of how far down the toilet rock music has gone in the public's eye. If you took the Rolling Stones from 30-40 years ago, when they were making worthwhile music, and put them in today's setting, they'd probably be nothing. At best, perhaps Mick would have an Evan Dando/Noel Gallagher presence among the general population, but otherwise, they'd be stuck in neutral.

Seriously, one freaking song? Is there any other songs that we all must love to save rock music? (BTW, I'm not a Rolling Stones fan. I would hate for them never to existed because of other bands I do like that they influenced, but I could care less if I never hear another RS song in my life.)
Old 03-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #530
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

For me, its all about song choice. This weeks ranking are:

1) Vonzell - She sang the hell out that song considering Whitney was the original singer. She ran the risk of failing extremely short of Whitney but gave it a 100% effort. The song is recognizable and fits her voice.

2) Carrie - Again, the song fits her voice even though it didn't appeal to much for me. I would really liked her to sing a Leann Rymes song.

3) Nikko - He started of bad but toward the middle of the song he sang it damn near close to a perfect imitation of Tevin Campbell. He is chosing songs that I think he personnally likes but probably much of america can't identify. Sisqo and Tevin Campbell in back to back weeks. He made it work though.

4) Scott - He sang that song pretty well, although I would suggest he never again pick a Brian McKnight song. Brian has a very unique voice with a huge range that is hard to duplicate.

5) Jessica - Didn't like the song choice even though she sang it well. She has one of the top three voices but doesn't use it to her advantage.

6) Anthony - He really, really needs to pick a song that is rememerable. Kinda like when Clay sang Always and Forever. Sing a Jeffrey Osbourne joint or something. I just can't seem to ever remember what he sang. His voice is pretty good despite his bad song selections.

7) Constantine - Is he a rocker or not ? All the sudden last night the judges decided he wasn't a rocker. His version of the "I Can't Make You Love Me" was not all that good. If you want to her a male sing the hell out of that song check out Will Downing's version and you will see how short Constantine came. A rocker singing a R&B/Jazz remake of a country song didn't work for me at all.

8) Bo - Sorry dude, I really like him and his voice but this song didn't did *(& for me. I would really like to see him sing "Long Train Running". I think he would have the crowd pumped up if he sang that.

9) Nadia - Again, just didn't like the song choice. I think she has a decent voice but her choice of songs do not show it at all.

10) Anwar - He is turning into a 10 second wonder. He was off key for about 90% of that song. He struggles to sing most of the songs only to get to that one note he performs well. This is because he is not picking songs in his range.

My vote would be Nadia based on he last couple of performances.

Bottom 3: Nadia, Anthony, Anwar
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 PM   #531
Ksyrup

Quote:
Seriously, one freaking song? Is there any other songs that we all must love to save rock music? (BTW, I'm not a Rolling Stones fan. I would hate for them never to existed because of other bands I do like that they influenced, but I could care less if I never hear another RS song in my life.)
I wasn't referring to one BC song, but the BC as a rock band in general. I took your comment that he should sing "songs" that people like as a comment that most people don't like rock and roll. Which I believe, by the way, even if that wasn't your point.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-30-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #532
TLK
Pro Starter

Well... see ya' Jess...

I was never a fan of hers, and glad that both Anwar and Nadia were saved. I hope those that were voting for her, start voting for Carrie.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 PM   #533
Cuckoo
College Starter

Well, I'm no huge Jessica fan, but she didn't deserve to go tonight. Based on last night, any of Nikko, Anwar, Scott, or Federov would have been better choices to exit in my opinion.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:45 PM   #534
Ksyrup

I wonder what's keeping Nadia in the bottom 3? Soulful rocker-type chick can't find a wide enough audience perhaps?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #535
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I agree, she should have stayed. I'm still shaking my head at Scott's safe pass.

Whatever...

Todd
Old 03-30-2005, 09:02 PM   #536
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Jessica had the most unrecognizable song and that is what screwed her.

I kind of wonder if there is Nadia backlash over the tribute to Mario comment. She is still one of the best performers to me, but she has not done well since that little exchange with Simon. Maybe she turned some people off with that.

Anwar and Constantine continue to creep me out. Imagine if you had to choose one of the two to babysit your child. *shudders*
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #537
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
I agree, she should have stayed. I'm still shaking my head at Scott's safe pass.

Whatever...

Todd
I thought Scott was a gonner for sure.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #538
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I wasn't referring to one BC song, but the BC as a rock band in general. I took your comment that he should sing "songs" that people like as a comment that most people don't like rock and roll. Which I believe, by the way, even if that wasn't your point.

No, I wasn't talking about Rock or BC in general. Just that song. He could have done another BC song (as a matter of fact he has, hasn't he?), and been better off. He needs to do Rock if he can, but he neess to pick some more voice-driven songs. He doesn't need big flurishes, just something not quite as vocally monotone.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #539
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was my opinion (that people didn't like the song). It is not like I took a survey or something. I also didn't say all people doln't like the song. I don't think most people like that song and I think the idea that the music world is going down the toilet because some, most, large percentages of people don't like one BC song is silly at best.

I consider that BC song to be one of the best rock songs of the 90s. So if most people don't like the song, I consider that to mean that most people aren't fond of rock music anymore... which I think means the music world has gone to shiite .

And yes, we must love certain songs to save music . For example, if most people don't like "Heartbreaker" by LedZep, we got problems in the music world.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:16 PM   #540
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I consider that BC song to be one of the best rock songs of the 90s. So if most people don't like the song, I consider that to mean that most people aren't fond of rock music anymore... which I think means the music world has gone to shiite .

And yes, we must love certain songs to save music . For example, if most people don't like "Heartbreaker" by LedZep, we got problems in the music world.

If that is the best Rock song of the 90's, Rock is already dead.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:16 PM   #541
Swaggs
Coordinator

Will you two quit banging dicks over the Black Crowes song already?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 PM   #542
Ksyrup

I think most people haven't even heard Heartbreaker.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 PM   #543
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think most people haven't even heard Heartbreaker.

So sad .
Old 03-30-2005, 11:32 PM   #544
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i dont agree with the vote decision.

i think it might be better for the public to vote and the judges have a certain % of the votes.

Like 50% from the public and 50% from the 3 judges.

this girl sang well. i am very disappointing seeing her gone.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:33 PM   #545
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Anwar and Constantine continue to creep me out. Imagine if you had to choose one of the two to babysit your child. *shudders*

Anwar is a school teacher. He teaches music.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:00 AM   #546
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

i think it might be better for the public to vote and the judges have a certain % of the votes.

I had a similar opinion at one point, but it was more along the lines of the judges having veto power on the bottom 3 (send one of them back, and if that was the one with the lowest amount of votes, then the 2nd lowest goes). Just to keep the ridiculousness of this voting out. I remember last year there were a few times where Latoya was in the bottom 3 and Stevens kept on slipping by. Stuff like that pisses me off. It looks like the same is going to happen with Federov this year.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:30 AM   #547
Ksyrup

In the end...who cares? She (see, I can't even remember her name, so she was obviously not memorable) wasn't going to win anyway, and neither are the people who keep slipping by but should be gone. Another performance from Scott like this week, and if he survives again, he'll have the John Stevens "I feel so guilty for still being here" face going.

Nadia is a good performer, but I wonder if (a) she suffers from a lack of a defined audience; or (b) she's a bit too much like Fantasia (better voice, I know, but still...). I don't think the Mario comments matter, because no one really understood them anyway, and we don't know where she was placing in the votes in the previous weeks - all we know is that she was safe. If you add back in the people who got voted out, she might have placed in the middle of the pack in votes, but subtract them, and she's suddenly bottom 3. Nothing might have changed since voting began. Everyone is assuming she was one of the top 3, but that might not have been the case from the beginning.

I think it only makes sense to let "America" do the voting...they're the ones who are going to shell out for the craptacular album the winner puts out. This isn't about who is the best, it's who wins over the audience. Simon wants the audience to choose, because that means they're invested in the winner, and will be more llikely to buy records when the show ends.

On that note, Randy (and Paula, at times) keep making the comment that this is a singing competition, and it's not about looks, personality, etc. He said it again last night. What show is he watching? This is American Idol, not America's best vocalist. Looks, personality, and stage presence are what makes someone more than just a singer. I don't get that at all. He should know better.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-31-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:38 AM   #548
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wonder what's keeping Nadia in the bottom 3? Soulful rocker-type chick can't find a wide enough audience perhaps?

Maybe the fact that she's off-key most of the time and can't sing anywhere near as well as the others might have something to do with it. Despite the judges constantly blowing sunshine up her butt because she's a "performer".

Last edited by EagleFan : 03-31-2005 at 08:38 AM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:38 AM   #549
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
In the end...who cares? She (see, I can't even remember her name, so she was obviously not memorable) wasn't going to win anyway, and neither are the people who keep slipping by but should be gone. Another performance from Scott like this week, and if he survives again, he'll have the John Stevens "I feel so guilty for still being here" face going.

Nadia is a good performer, but I wonder if (a) she suffers from a lack of a defined audience; or (b) she's a bit too much like Fantasia (better voice, I know, but still...). I don't think the Mario comments matter, because no one really understood them anyway, and we don't know where she was placing in the votes in the previous weeks - all we know is that she was safe. If you add back in the people who got voted out, she might have placed in the middle of the pack in votes, but subtract them, and she's suddenly bottom 3. Nothing might have changed since voting began. Everyone is assuming she was one of the top 3, but that might not have been the case from the beginning.

I think it only makes sense to let "America" do the voting...they're the ones who are going to shell out for the craptacular album the winner puts out. This isn't about who is the best, it's who wins over the audience. Simon wants the audience to choose, because that means they're invested in the winner, and will be more llikely to buy records when the show ends.

On that note, Randy (and Paula, at times) keep making the comment that this is a singing competition, and it's not about looks, personality, etc. He said it again last night. What show is he watching? This is American Idol, not America's best vocalist. Looks, personality, and stage presence are what makes someone more than just a singer. I don't get that at all. He should know better.

I agree that the public should continue to vote. However, we should be voting for the one we want to leave. Limit the vote to something like 5 per household. As it is, Idols that appeal to a young fan base have obsessive fans (ala John Stevens) that will vote 100's of times a person while most mature fans of someone like Latoya may one vote a couple of times. Idol is so cought up in that the want to say "After over 35 millions votes" like I diving a flying #!@#!@ about home many people selected there favoriote singer. Hell, let our votes determine the worst two sings every week and let the judges keep one of them off.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 PM   #550
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

I was thinking that from the first American Idol. Trouble is, it's all about money and they figure the most votes = the most money.

Seems pointless to have judges when their remarks don't count 1 iota. I'm sure the persuade a small fraction of voters though.

Todd