Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #501
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Remember when an 18 year old Lindros suited up for Team Canada in 1991? I remember him crushing Joel Otto behind the net and breaking Ulf Samuelsson's shoulder. He was physically dominant. It's too bad that intensity never lasted into the NHL.

I remember that very well. He was a force of nature out there. He had that intensity early on in his NHL days, but his body (head) just gave out on him. It's really a shame. Sure he was a bit of a spoiled brat and his parents were crazy, but for a while there, when healthy, he was really everything everyone thought he would be: big, strong, talented. The total package. That said, I was still pissed that Lemieux told Lindros it was "his time" after the FLyers knocked the Penguiuns out of the 1997 Eastern Conference Finals. Screw you, Mario, it was Stevie's time!
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #502
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Guess you haven't seen the 1987 Canada Cup, that is the greatest hockey ever played.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #503
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Dola-The Cup was at the Ice arena where I go to skate yesterday. I didn't go cause I was cheering for Calgary, would have felt funny to go lift it. Ben Clymer had it and he took it all over town, even over on campus, gotta love that.

You're not actually allowed to *lift* the Stanley Cup. You can kiss it, hug it, stare at it longingly, pretty much whatever....but the privilege of picking it up and lifting it over your head is sacrosanct, and can only be earned. Phil and the rest of the guys at the Hall of Fame (or wherever the Cup happens to be) make sure everybody knows that.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #504
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Guess you haven't seen the 1987 Canada Cup, that is the greatest hockey ever played.

I have seen it on video. It was amazing. But not live, lived in Dallas at the time. Not much hockey going on there. I reckon I should have qualified "seen live."
Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 AM   #505
Karim
College Starter

1987 was the *only* time Mario and Wayne played together on the same team and sure enough, it produced one of the greatest moments in Canadian hockey history, second only to Paul Henderson's goal in 1972.

Cards,

Did you get all four games in St. Paul? The atmosphere for the US vs. Russia game should be thrilling even if some of the Russians like Fedorov aren't playing.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:22 AM   #506
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
You're not actually allowed to *lift* the Stanley Cup. You can kiss it, hug it, stare at it longingly, pretty much whatever....but the privilege of picking it up and lifting it over your head is sacrosanct, and can only be earned. Phil and the rest of the guys at the Hall of Fame (or wherever the Cup happens to be) make sure everybody knows that.

Have to pick it up and drink out of it somehow, right?!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #507
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
1987 was the *only* time Mario and Wayne played together on the same team and sure enough, it produced one of the greatest moments in Canadian hockey history, second only to Paul Henderson's goal in 1972.

Cards,

Did you get all four games in St. Paul? The atmosphere for the US vs. Russia game should be thrilling even if some of the Russians like Fedorov aren't playing.

Yep, all 4 games, first row in the upper level was all I could afford, it was about $30 a game.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #508
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yep, all 4 games, first row in the upper level was all I could afford, it was about $30 a game.

First row, upper level.

These are some of the best seats in the house. Being a little higher up gives you a better view of what's going on everywhere on the ice. It helps let you see plays as they develope. You have an unobstructed view of the ice (no idiots in front of you) and you can either stretch your legs out or have a nice place to rest your ginger ale right in front of you. I love the first row, upper level. Well done, Cards.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #509
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
First row, upper level.

These are some of the best seats in the house. Being a little higher up gives you a better view of what's going on everywhere on the ice. It helps let you see plays as they develope. You have an unobstructed view of the ice (no idiots in front of you) and you can either stretch your legs out or have a nice place to rest your ginger ale right in front of you. I love the first row, upper level. Well done, Cards.

This is pretty good! HB, I've probably been to more games live then you have watched period! We all have our preferences, I like 2/3rds of the way up inside one of the blue lines myself. For the WC, we are above one of the defensive circles.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #510
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

College hockey is <2 months away - Woot!

RPI has a really strong team this year, I think. Scary to think we were this close to getting Zajac suited up last year.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #511
bbor
Pro Starter

Team Russia is falling apart fast....do you think they might bring back Larionov,Krutov and ...uhh...WTF was the last guys name...i forget

I think he was the one that got fat while in the NHL and retired.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #512
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
College hockey is <2 months away - Woot!

RPI has a really strong team this year, I think. Scary to think we were this close to getting Zajac suited up last year.

Hmmm, how is that? He's going to UND, hard to compete against them. The next prize is Brock Bradford and Phil Kessel. The Gophers are getting Zajac's teammate Chucko.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #513
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This is pretty good! HB, I've probably been to more games live then you have watched period! We all have our preferences, I like 2/3rds of the way up inside one of the blue lines myself. For the WC, we are above one of the defensive circles.

Wow. That's a lot of hockey to be seen live. Mayhap if you total up all those highschool and college games, mayhap.

But from 1988-2000 (my second stint in Michigan) I reckon I watched around 100 regular season games each season (NHL), plus what 50+ play-off games, possibly more? (I watched a lot of HNIC and all play-offs games I could). That's a lot of hockey to see live.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #514
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I've been going to hockey games since I was 5, I'm 38, and in the last 15 years I've been to a shitload of HS and College games, so, I would say that probably pretty close.

Maybe I read into it wrong, just sounded like you were talking to somebody that's never been to a game or something.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #515
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Team Russia is falling apart fast....do you think they might bring back Larionov,Krutov and ...uhh...WTF was the last guys name...i forget

I think he was the one that got fat while in the NHL and retired.

The KLM line was Krutov-Larionov-Makarov with Krutov being the fat one who only played briefly with Vancouver before going back to Europe.

Whoever is in charge is an idiot for putting Tikhanov behind the bench when clearly he's an old-guard Soviet for whom modern, NHL-based Russians will not play.

But I thought Fetisov was appointed to some Ministry of Sports or something in Russia and would have taken care of this.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:04 PM   #516
Karim
College Starter

A look at the Toronto Geriatrics...
http://www.canada.com/national/natio...463ba83&page=1

A look at the 6 NHL proposals to the NHLPA...
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2655156
Old 08-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #517
Karim
College Starter

dola,

In a Denver Post story I read which wasn't worth linking too in its entirety, Joe Sakic is pessimistic that the season will start. January at the earliest is what he's looking at. He states unequivocally that the players will not agree to a hard salary cap but that a luxury tax would, in his mind, be the best way to go and would also help out small-market teams.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #518
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A look at the Toronto Geriatrics...
http://www.canada.com/national/natio...463ba83&page=1

A look at the 6 NHL proposals to the NHLPA...
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2655156

Man, when did Toronto become Detroit South

*reading the second article now*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:06 PM   #519
Karim
College Starter

For those interested, check out some of the names at the Canadian World Juniors development camp in Calgary this weekend... (wow) ...With a lockout, they're guaranteed the top first rounders will be available, (not to mention Crosby) just like the last "dream team" with Lindros, Kariya, Daigle...
http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin...num=0000000313
Old 08-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #520
Karim
College Starter

dola,

Niedermayer ties for largest arbitration award ever...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=94711
Old 08-13-2004, 04:39 PM   #521
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
dola,

Niedermayer ties for largest arbitration award ever...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=94711

So, he asked for 9 million a year, was offered 8 million a year, and got 7 instead?!? That's messed up, unless I'm missing something.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #522
Karim
College Starter

No that's right klayman. He wanted $45 million/5 years, Lou offered $40/5 years and ended up with $7 million.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #523
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love this arbitration process, even if I don't understand it.

SI

Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 AM   #524
Karim
College Starter

Interesting article on the off-season process of the UK's, EIHL.
http://www.londonracers.com/news/detail.php?id=221

Boston Globe's, Kevin Dupont on a whole host of hockey matters, including Nylander's bolt to the Blueshirts for an extra $100k in guaranteed money.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...uins_approach/
Old 08-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #525
Simms
FOBL Commish

Sad day for international hockey...

Heard this morning that Ivan Hlinka -- MVP of the '76 Canada Cup, and long time coach of the Czech national team (including for the upcoming World Cup) -- died in a car accident last night.

The radio guys were commenting on the eerie similarities between Hlinka and Herb Brooks (also a victim of a car crash). Some years ago, when Brooks was coaching the Penguins, Hlinka was the associate coach and was rumoured to be the one who was actually doing the strategizing.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:01 AM   #526
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Sad day for international hockey...

Heard this morning that Ivan Hlinka -- MVP of the '76 Canada Cup, and long time coach of the Czech national team (including for the upcoming World Cup) -- died in a car accident last night.

The radio guys were commenting on the eerie similarities between Hlinka and Herb Brooks (also a victim of a car crash). Some years ago, when Brooks was coaching the Penguins, Hlinka was the associate coach and was rumoured to be the one who was actually doing the strategizing.

In fact, Hlinka was the head coach for a year or so. Very sad to hear.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #527
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

More on Hlinka:

Quote:
08-16) 05:48 PDT PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) --

Czech Republic national ice hockey team coach, and former Pittsburgh Penguins coach, Ivan Hlinka died Monday after sustaining serious injuries in a car crash, an official said.

Hlinka was taken to a hospital for treatment where he died, Czech national team spokesman Pavel Barta said.

The accident took place near Karlovy Vary, 69 miles west of Prague, at about 11 p.m., Barta said.

Hlinka's car collided with a truck, he said.

"Ivan Hlinka was hospitalized with serious injuries and despite all efforts he didn't survive," said Zdenka Markova, spokeswoman for Karlovy Vary's hospital.

Hlinka died at about 1:30 p.m., she said. He was 54.

Hlinka, who was reappointed Czech coach in May, led the Czech Republic to gold at the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics.

He then coached the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2001, taking them to the third round of the playoffs. He had a 42-32-9 record with the team before being replaced four games into the 2001-02 season.

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #528
Karim
College Starter

Jason Allison still has a long way to go...
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/h...-7708024c.html
Old 08-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #529
bbor
Pro Starter

Pronger out of WC....Bouwemeester in for him

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #530
bbor
Pro Starter

TB walks away from Cory Stillmans arbitration hearing result..Stillman won a 3.9 mil settlement.....TB decided to cut him rather than give him the contract...they have traded a 2nd round pick to St.Louis for Vaclav Propal to take Stillmans place.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #531
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Stillman for 4 mil? No problem.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #532
Karim
College Starter

Good for TB.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:17 AM   #533
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Tampa was smart. Stillman is a decent forward and he can put up some good offensive numbers but I don't think he's worht $4 million. I have never been a big Vinny Vaclav Prospal fan, but he did have a decent year or two in Tampa and at $2.5 million, I think he's an able replacement for Stillman.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #534
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just saw that Gena Lee Nolin (of Baywatch fame) married Cale Hulse. What is it with hockey players? I mean, Ron Dugay and Kim Alexis, Carol Alt and Alexei Yashin [and originally Ronny Greschner], Nedved and his wife, the list goes on and on. I mean, Cale Hulse is what a rugged 3rd-6th defenseman in Phoenix? It's impressive. Wish I learned how to skate earlier and actually had some athletic talent... I'd be gold!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:49 PM   #535
Karim
College Starter

Joe Thornton got $6.75 million from the arbitrator. He was seeking $8 million and the Bruins were offering $5.5 million. And no.... the Bruins are not walking away.

This probably puts Iginla in the $7-8 million range depending on term length.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:04 AM   #536
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
some athletic talent... I'd be gold!

This was always my downfall too

That's why i coach now

Old 08-18-2004, 09:55 PM   #537
Karim
College Starter

Great article. Interviews Daly and Saskin, asking the same question with responses from both. You be the judge...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1860314
Old 08-19-2004, 02:52 AM   #538
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Av's sign Vinny Damphousse to a one year $2 million deal. Not bad. I like Vinny. He'll be a nice addition to the Forces of Darkness(tm).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...66&hubName=nhl
Old 08-19-2004, 03:02 AM   #539
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Great article. Interviews Daly and Saskin, asking the same question with responses from both. You be the judge...

How depressing. Well, let's hope SI gets that new patch out soon because that will likely be the only NHL hockey any of us will be experiencing for quite some time...
Old 08-19-2004, 07:24 AM   #540
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've said it once and I'll say it again: This is just too eerily similar to the baseball labor situation. This is going to get really bloody.

SI

Old 08-19-2004, 07:33 AM   #541
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I've said it once and I'll say it again: This is just too eerily similar to the baseball labor situation. This is going to get really bloody.

I've heard one prediction saying this will be the longest work stoppage in sports history...
Old 08-19-2004, 07:42 AM   #542
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
The Av's sign Vinny Damphousse to a one year $2 million deal. Not bad. I like Vinny. He'll be a nice addition to the Forces of Darkness(tm).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...66&hubName=nhl

I think i'll ultimately be happy with this, but right now Vinny is still the guy who effectively knocked the Avs out of the playoffs with his goal off of Aebischer's back in Game 3.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:28 AM   #543
Karim
College Starter

Here's an ESPN analysis of the World Cup:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/worldc...ory?id=1863188

~~~~~

The Canadian World Junior development camp ended with a scrimmage yesterday in Calgary, Team Red versus Team White. What transpired was a thing of beauty and I wish I had seen it live. Here's how someone who was there described it:

Here's what appeared to happen. Phaneuf hit and/or badgered Crosby a few times in the game previously (during play and after the whistle). On this incident, for whatever reason (Phaneuf was assessed a high-sticking penalty which I didn't see) Crosby gave Phaneuf a little stick to the groin after the whistle. To this, Phaneuf proceeded to shove down Crosby's head and crush his torso right in front of the gate to Crosby's bench. The nearby red team all came after Phaneuf, especially Colin Fraser who it seems was initially on the bench. After exchanging some blows with Phaneuf from the bench Fraser, who was right beside the gate anyway came onto the ice for a bonafide fight. Phaneuf controlled the fight easily but seemed to let up a little on the punches aimed for his buddy. Both went sent off on game misconducts and happily joined the team at games end for pictures. But it seems like Phaneuf doesn't like Crosby or maybe just wants to let him know that he can't get away with his petty stuff. FWIW, Crosby didn't look great at all the entire game.

Final score: White 7 Red 1

What the above quote doesn't make clear is that Phaneuf and Fraser both play for the Red Deer Rebels. Meanwhile, coach Brent Sutter was watching everything - the owner, GM and coach of the Red Deer Rebels. He didn't seem at all upset that two of his players went at it. It's better they do it now than during the tournament where fighting is illegal.

For as long as I've been following the Flames (~20 years), I don't remember any prospect being hyped to the extent of Phaneuf. People have been saying he's the next Scott Stevens, he's the best defenceman not playing in the NHL, he was NHL ready one year ago and that he'll be the Flames best defenceman in three years. No pressure, eh?

The lockout hurts his development though. Because of some games played rule, he can't play in the AHL which means his only option would be to play in the WHL again as an overager (20). He doesn't have anything left to prove there and it may actually stunt his development. Ideally he'd be playing in the AHL for a year. Signing him to a contract now makes no sense though.

It's interesting that since the 2003 draft where Suter was the first defenceman taken, followed by Coburn and then Phaneuf, Phaneuf's development has accelerated. Another reason why in an ideal world, there should be a 20 year old draft.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:04 PM   #544
bbor
Pro Starter

Reports out of Toronto are Belfour is going to have back surgury which means if the season starts on time he won't be playing.

Old 08-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #545
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Should we start a pool here for when we think the lockout is going to end? (should we wait until it starts or is it inevitable)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-21-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:25 PM   #546
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

For as long as I've been following the Flames (~20 years), I don't remember any prospect being hyped to the extent of Phaneuf. People have been saying he's the next Scott Stevens, he's the best defenceman not playing in the NHL, he was NHL ready one year ago and that he'll be the Flames best defenceman in three years. No pressure, eh?

After watching him play over the last two years, I gotta agree. He is easily my favorite player to watch outside of the NHL, and in the Stevens/Chelios mold of defensemen. Now if only he could find a way out of that crappy organization that drafted him, then he'd really be something.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:14 PM   #547
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
After watching him play over the last two years, I gotta agree. He is easily my favorite player to watch outside of the NHL, and in the Stevens/Chelios mold of defensemen. Now if only he could find a way out of that crappy organization that drafted him, then he'd really be something.

It'll be really fun to watch the kids of the Flames and Oilers over the next few years. People are really sure though that the Oil will regret taking Dubnyk over Schwartz though. Only time will tell...
Old 08-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #548
Karim
College Starter

From another message board, here's an interesting comment from someone who doesn't throw crap out there to see if it sticks:

I have it on good sources that ten of the 30 teams want a $20 million cap. That's the extreme on one side of it. Two of those ten teams are Canadian. You heard right, $20 million cap. There's also about 14 teams that would accept a cap anywhere within 30-40 or so and six teams that are keeping their mouth shut through the whole ordeal.

Assuming this is true, you've got to figure the two Canadian teams that want a $20 million cap are Calgary and Edmonton. Of the six who don't care, it's probably Toronto, Detroit, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Dallas and Colorado.

But I'm surprised 10 teams would be pushing for such a low cap.

SI, I think it's safe to start the pool now.

Last edited by Karim : 08-21-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:46 PM   #549
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I would be surprised if Edmonton would want a $20 million cap. They would have to get rid of people. I would think they would prefer $30 million.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:05 PM   #550
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that would be a little bizarre, considering NO NHL team was under $20 million last year. only 5 were under $30 M...