Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #501
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really don't know if this is how Yzerman will go out. Don't be surprised if the Captain is back next year with the way he played for the last 1/4 of the season.

Oilers are really going to have to learn to play a full 60 minutes if they want to go any farther though. Roloson kept them close enough tonight for 20 minutes to be good enough.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #502
henry296
College Starter

It just saw the replay, I'm pretty sure that the puck was below the cross bar when he hit the puck. He started his stick above the crossbar, but when he hit the puck it was below.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #503
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Oilers DESERVED to win the series. 4 goals in 20 minutes, in a must win.

Steve is gone, as is the bullshit blue line theory the Wings have had. Lagace is going to be the goat in all of this. It was a great ride..the last 8 years.

I was skeptical this team was built for a Cup run. They were incredibly soft. Lang, Shanahan, etc, they're all gone. It's gonna be a decent transition into the future of Grigorenko (2007-08), McGrath and Kindl.

What I can say though is Zetterbeg is the future of the Red Wings, not Datsyuk, something I've always felt strongly about. Z is not only the best player on the Wings; he's also the best leader (beyond Yzerman) and he deserves one of the two A's open next year when Yzerman retires, Shanahan is gone and Lidstrom gets the C.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #504
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I dunno about the high stick- it looked pretty high to me despite the announcers sounding sure it was below.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #505
Galaxy
Coordinator

Good non-call then I think.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #506
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Um, Jarome Iginla just got into a fight while the Flames were on the power play. Not exactly the brightest thing in the world, plus he got his ass beaten. The ol' captain just wasn't thinking on that one.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #507
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I love the Flames/Duck series.

Flames are slowly becoming my favorite NHL team. I fucking love the way they play the game.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #508
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Flames are slowly becoming my favorite NHL team. I fucking love the way they play the game.
Two years ago, the Flames became my second-favorite team. They are a lot of fun to watch. I'm still laughing my ass off at the Iginla fight that just happened, by the way. Great stuff.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #509
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, I like the Flames. I'd love to see them in the Cup Finals losing to the Devils. Devils beat the Flames. Hehe...that'd be neat. A hellish series. A hot series.

boy..the commentators won't need to even try for any tired cliches in that one, there will be plenty. Not that anyone will be watching....
Old 05-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #510
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Props to the Oilers for the series win. Any team that comes through six games and skates as well as they did while having horseshoes up their behinds deserves all the credit in the world. I was figuring that even if the Wings won tonight they weren’t going to win Game 7 anyways. It was going to be a 3-1 for the Oil in Detroit if it went another game. Game 7 was going to be tied at 1 with 0:56 left in the third period. The Red Wings would have outshot Edmonton 45-3 at that point. Zetterberg and Datsyuk would be in on a 2-on-1. Zetterberg would feather a beautiful pass to Datsyuk who would clearly have Roloson beaten. Only Datsyuk’s shot would bounce off of Roloson’s facemask, the puck would hurtle towards the Oiler bench where it would get lodged in MacTavish’s hair. Chris Pronger, being the hockey god that he is (or so the commentators tell us), would quickly use his stick to swipe the puck of out his coach’s hair. Pronger’s swipe would send the now greasy puck through the air into the Red Wing zone where it would carom off of Ethan Moreau’s shoulder, hit Ales Hemsky in the visor, get high sticked by Fernando Pisani, bounce back to Roloson who would kick the puck the length of the ice beating Legace on the stick side. Mick McGough will have seen all this and will go upstairs to the replay needing to see whether or not Hemsky headed the puck. The replay officials witness the puck being momentarily lost in MacTavish’s hair, see Pronger deftly flick it out, view the various deflections and take a great look at a Roloson kick that would make David Beckham proud. However, they can do nothing about these things because McGough has asked them to look at Hemsky’s deflection. The replay officials declare Hemsky’s deflection perfectly legal and decree that the Oilers will have indeed scored. 2-1 Edmonton. Jason Smith finishes Game 7 and the series with the empty netter.

All this to say I’m glad Edmonton won tonight. Losing would have only delayed the inevitable fluke win Wednesday night.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #511
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The only thing I follow in the NHL is checking to see if the Red Wings lose in the playoffs. Nothing else matters for this makes it worthwhile for taking up space on the sports sites.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #512
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
The only thing I follow in the NHL is checking to see if the Red Wings lose in the playoffs. Nothing else matters for this makes it worthwhile for taking up space on the sports sites.

go grow old in the corner. :o
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #513
bbor
Pro Starter

Anahiem can;t catch a break...5 on 3 and they are fanning on shots all over the place.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #514
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola...They need to start using wood sticks again instead of those wet noodles.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #515
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Toldya this one was going seven!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:26 AM   #516
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Toldya this one was going seven!

I never said it wouldn't! And frankly, Anaheim deserves to win it. Game 3 was the only game the Flames deserved to win. Bonehead penalties, a complete lack of committment to the offensive side of the game, and a hungry Anaheim team makes Game 7 a pick 'em. After that blown call by Koharski, it kind of makes it fitting.

Congrats to the Oilers. This time Wednesday, the top four seeds in the West could be out!
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #517
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

I agree. Screw those tens of millions around the world who give a shit.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #518
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Dear Edmonton,
thank you thank you thank you.

Signed,
Colorado
Old 05-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #519
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings just blew this one. They totally lost their composure in the 3rd period. Williams did his best Martin LaPointe impersonation and took an unnecessary penalty. Andreas Lilja - who I've hated since day one - blew two defensive zone coverages. The Wings couldn't take out Hemsky in front of the net. Manny couldn't come up with that one "big save" to bail his team out. He didn't give up any softies last night, but he didn't make any great saves either. The Wings really needed him to do that and he didn't.

Shanahan remained invisible. As were Samuelsson and Datsyuk. Lidstrom was unspectacular. And Hemsky finally showed up. That was enough.
It's going to be one hell of a difficult off-season for the Wings. I do not envy the job Ken Holland has to do. They have a little over $16 million to spend (this is likely to increase due to a higher cap number) and a number of UFA's, including: Yzerman, Chelios, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Cleary, Mowers, Osgood, Legace, and some others. Yzerman comes back if he wants to. Same with Lidstrom. Chelios played well enough, I would think. The big question is Shanahan. 40 goals in the regular season and an absolutely abysmal playoffs. A very tough call. Holland will need to find a goalie. Given Lidstrom will eat up around $8 million or so, they'll have a little over half of that to spend.

It's going to be very hard to get excited about next season. Very, very hard.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #520
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Dear Edmonton,
thank you thank you thank you.

Signed,
Colorado

Be careful what you wish for.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #521
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Blow me, old man.

p.s.

Tony Gwynn is a tubby bitch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #522
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just realized, it's possible that all 4 top seeds in the East and all 4 bottom seeds in the West advance.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #523
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Be careful what you wish for.

Detroit is the only team in the West that scared me. I don't think Colorado could have beaten them, although Detroit sure looked like a different team than they did in the regular season.

Probably fitting for us to play San Jose, since the Sharks were the team who knocked us out after we beat the Stars in '04.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #524
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I agree. Screw those tens of millions around the world who give a shit.

Tem million Red Wings fans??!? That's too scary for even a nightmare considering they are the most obnoxious fans in the world.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #525
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Tem million Red Wings fans??!? That's too scary for even a nightmare considering they are the most obnoxious fans in the world.

I wouldn't say "obnoxious" is the right word. Deeply, terribly annoying and irritating, yes, but not so obnoxious. Though, DD aside of course, I would rate Avalanche fans as the most obnoxious. At least Wings fans never have that "*Insert Team Name/City Name* sucks!" chant going. Ever. That's the best thing I can say about them in general.

p.s.

Tony Gwynn was overrated and is still a tubby bitch.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #526
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
At least Wings fans never have that "*Insert Team Name/City Name* sucks!" chant going. Ever. That's the best thing I can say about them in general.
Guy, that's the Ottawa Senators entire marketing plan.

(Seriously. It is.)
Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #527
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Guy, that's the Ottawa Senators entire marketing plan.

(Seriously. It is.)

I've always thought that I missed my calling.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #528
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Anyone think that the Red Wings will win tonight?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #529
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
The Wings just blew this one. They totally lost their composure in the 3rd period. Williams did his best Martin LaPointe impersonation and took an unnecessary penalty. Andreas Lilja - who I've hated since day one - blew two defensive zone coverages. The Wings couldn't take out Hemsky in front of the net. Manny couldn't come up with that one "big save" to bail his team out. He didn't give up any softies last night, but he didn't make any great saves either. The Wings really needed him to do that and he didn't.

Shanahan remained invisible. As were Samuelsson and Datsyuk. Lidstrom was unspectacular. And Hemsky finally showed up. That was enough.
It's going to be one hell of a difficult off-season for the Wings. I do not envy the job Ken Holland has to do. They have a little over $16 million to spend (this is likely to increase due to a higher cap number) and a number of UFA's, including: Yzerman, Chelios, Lidstrom, Shanahan, Cleary, Mowers, Osgood, Legace, and some others. Yzerman comes back if he wants to. Same with Lidstrom. Chelios played well enough, I would think. The big question is Shanahan. 40 goals in the regular season and an absolutely abysmal playoffs. A very tough call. Holland will need to find a goalie. Given Lidstrom will eat up around $8 million or so, they'll have a little over half of that to spend.

It's going to be very hard to get excited about next season. Very, very hard.

Well next year I would not be surprised to see the Wings start adding young guys in; Flippula is a given. He plays an awesome two way game. Kyle Quincey will probably make it, and probably even Jimmy Howard, with Stefan Liv moving to Grand Rapids. Grigorenko is staying in Russia thanks to a $1 million deal with his team, so who knows there. I am thinking:

G Osgood
G Howard

D Lidstrom
D Kronwall
D Lilja
D Lebda
D Chelios
D Schenider
D Quincey

F Zetterberg
F Datsyuk
F Flippula
F Franzen
F Williams
F Maltby
F Draper
F Holmstrom

Those seem likelys. Samsonov is rumored to be coming here. Who knows how FA will go. I think Hudler will be in GR again, and who knows who else might make it up. McGrath and Kindl (Maybe) will be in GR as well.

I think we're a playoff team next year because of Lidstrom/Z/Dats, and probably we're going to be a team that fits Babcocks style better so there is still some hope.

Grand Rapids however will be the real intrigue; they could have some serious talent.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #530
bbor
Pro Starter

If Wings fans hang this loss on Legace they are sorely mistaken.

I would be happy if the Wings let him go though,cause it be great to have him in Toronto.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #531
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
If Wings fans hang this loss on Legace they are sorely mistaken.

I would be happy if the Wings let him go though,cause it be great to have him in Toronto.

They aren't. The goalie is always going to shoulder some of the blame when a team loses a series, probably a bit more than he should, but that's how it goes. Actually, no one's been harder on Legace than Legace. I think he said he felt like going home and "hanging" himself.

Legace played fine. That said, Roloson played better. Legace never made "the" big save. He didn't steal a game for his team and didn't play as well as he could.

He wasn't the reason the Wings lost, but his play was a reason.

Taking a look at the goals last night. Legace had no chance on Pisani's first goal. Maybe he could have done something better about the rebound he gave up, but two Oilers were parked right on his doorstep, left to whack away at the puck.

Pisani's second goal was a mini-breakaway. Franzen and Lilja (I hate this guy) totally blew the coverage. I think that was the save Manny had to have.

The third goal was, once more, the Wings not being able to take care of business in front of their own net.

The fourth goal was 2 on 4. Not a 4 on 2, a 2 on freaking 4. Once again Lilja and the forward (Williams?) totally blew the play and Hemsky was left all alone at the side of the net. Manny didn't have a chance. . .

The only game he let in "soft" goals - a couple through the five hole - was Game 4, which the Wings won.

In conclusion, I would feel comfrotable going into a playoff series with Legace as my back-up goalie, not my starter.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #532
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
They aren't. The goalie is always going to shoulder some of the blame when a team loses a series, probably a bit more than he should, but that's how it goes. Actually, no one's been harder on Legace than Legace. I think he said he felt like going home and "hanging" himself.

Legace played fine. That said, Roloson played better. Legace never made "the" big save. He didn't steal a game for his team and didn't play as well as he could.

He wasn't the reason the Wings lost, but his play was a reason.

Taking a look at the goals last night. Legace had no chance on Pisani's first goal. Maybe he could have done something better about the rebound he gave up, but two Oilers were parked right on his doorstep, left to whack away at the puck.

Pisani's second goal was a mini-breakaway. Franzen and Lilja (I hate this guy) totally blew the coverage. I think that was the save Manny had to have.

The third goal was, once more, the Wings not being able to take care of business in front of their own net.

The fourth goal was 2 on 4. Not a 4 on 2, a 2 on freaking 4. Once again Lilja and the forward (Williams?) totally blew the play and Hemsky was left all alone at the side of the net. Manny didn't have a chance. . .

The only game he let in "soft" goals - a couple through the five hole - was Game 4, which the Wings won.

In conclusion, I would feel comfrotable going into a playoff series with Legace as my back-up goalie, not my starter.

I'll trade you Turco for Legace straight up.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #533
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I was just thinking about Turco over lunch. He's sort of like the a personification of the Detroit Red Wings: great in the regular season, not so much in the playoffs.

What does Dallas do about Turco? His numbers are so solid in the regular season. Do they stick with him and hope he can eventually over come whatever mental block he has? Do they trade him away assuming that he'll never get over it?

I guess you have to keep him and then bring in a proven, veteran backup and have him at the ready for when the playoffs begin and if things turn sour.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #534
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Look, let's make it easy -- send them both to Toronto and we'll sort it out from there.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:32 PM   #535
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Samsonov is rumored to be coming here. Who knows how FA will go.

I hope this rumor ends up being wrong. The fan pressure in Edmonton for Lowe to get Samsonov and Spacek back here will be immense (possibly Roloson too if he continues to play like this, even if it means giving Minny an additional 3rd rounder). I really like what Spacek brings to the table (even if he had a horrid game last night), but Samsonov would, imho, greatly accelerate Hemsky's development and give us two legitimate scoring lines.

It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing though as we're very deep at center in the organization but rather weak when it comes to scoring wingers. I'd hope that most of Peca's salary goes to trying to keep these two in Edmonton for a few years.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #536
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Look, let's make it easy -- send them both to Toronto and we'll sort it out from there.

True...we don't need play off goalies here.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 PM   #537
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
I hope this rumor ends up being wrong. The fan pressure in Edmonton for Lowe to get Samsonov and Spacek back here will be immense (possibly Roloson too if he continues to play like this, even if it means giving Minny an additional 3rd rounder). I really like what Spacek brings to the table (even if he had a horrid game last night), but Samsonov would, imho, greatly accelerate Hemsky's development and give us two legitimate scoring lines.

It'll be interesting to see what they end up doing though as we're very deep at center in the organization but rather weak when it comes to scoring wingers. I'd hope that most of Peca's salary goes to trying to keep these two in Edmonton for a few years.

I hear ya' but Samsonov lives in Detroit in the off-season, loves it here, and I know Holland is probably salavating at the thought of a Dats/Samsonov line.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #538
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

Hockey fans...
Old 05-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #539
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I hear ya' but Samsonov lives in Detroit in the off-season, loves it here, and I know Holland is probably salavating at the thought of a Dats/Samsonov line.

he still lives in motown? i had no clue. it's been, what, 10 years since he played there?
Old 05-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #540
Booj
High School JV

6 minutes to face-off.

Reminder to the Habs: SCORE. FIRST. GOAL.

That is all.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #541
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
he still lives in motown? i had no clue. it's been, what, 10 years since he played there?

Yup. 96-97ish. Samsonovs family lives in Warren they were saying in the Paper, which is 20 minutes from Detroit.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #542
Galaxy
Coordinator

Wow....Flyers suck.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #543
Karim
College Starter

The East is set:

Ottawa vs. Buffalo
Carolina vs. New Jersey
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #544
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Devs get the 'Canes, eh? Well, I'm glad that Montreal tired them out a bit with a few OT games.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #545
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If the Ducks win tomorrow, we'll see seeds 1 - 4 alive in the East, and 5 - 8 in the West.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #546
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
If the Ducks win tomorrow, we'll see seeds 1 - 4 alive in the East, and 5 - 8 in the West.

geez, I wish I'd thought of that oh...13 hours ago.
oh wait.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #547
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I never said it wouldn't! And frankly, Anaheim deserves to win it. Game 3 was the only game the Flames deserved to win. Bonehead penalties, a complete lack of committment to the offensive side of the game, and a hungry Anaheim team makes Game 7 a pick 'em. After that blown call by Koharski, it kind of makes it fitting.

Congrats to the Oilers. This time Wednesday, the top four seeds in the West could be out!

Well, yeah, that wasn't directed at any Flames fans, just trumpeting my prediction before Game 5 that there is no way this game goes anything but seven, because neither team can win two games in a row (which doesn't bode well for the Ducks).

I think you're dead on correct in a lot of ways, although I would have to say Game 5 was at least a toss up in terms of "deserve" for either team. But, yes, I do feel that Anaheim has been the active, moving, forward team, while the Flames have seemed to stay in place, play physical (but physical stupid at times), and jump on chances/turnovers. You have to remember, though--you have the great Equalizer. Some guy named Kiprusoff. He has been absolutely amazing. I completely respect his skill and talent, even as I hate having to try to beat him. He's the best keeper in the game.

So tomorrow is going to be really tough for the Ducks. They have to score on the game's best keeper, behind a physical team that will pound you into submission, and in front of 20,000 rabid, screaming Canadians? Good Lord...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #548
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

no offense to Alberta hockey fans, but I'll be pulling for the Ducks (mostly because I'm in no hurry to see the Avs face San Jose).
Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #549
bbor
Pro Starter

I wanna see BOA!

Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 AM   #550
bbor
Pro Starter

ZDola...Sorry CR