Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #501
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

See I kinda looked at it the other way in that Macarena is THE quintessential one hit wonder. It hit the scene like a mack truck and then flamed out just as fast and we never heard from it or the "band" again. I see what you guys are saying about longevity but as a one hit wonder I think Macarena fits perfectly. However, I am not voting so what do I know?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #502
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I really thought somebody would tap U2 for a love song in the first couple of rounds. With or without you, maybe.

I'm a little surprised at the use here.. it's not terrible, but not where I would have gone... But it's U2, so can't go too wrong there anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #503
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Lathum's pick

Classic -Foxy Lady- Jimi Hendrix- 3.2
Epic - BaBa O'reilly ( also known as teenage wasteland)- The Who - 2.9
Arena -
Trendsetter - Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana- 1.2
Love Song - At Last- Eda James - 4.9
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover -
Anti-Establishment -

Lathum's comment: Anyone who has evet been to a wedding knows that song. It is a classic. At least half the weddings I have been to that has been the couples song. It is easily one of the greatest love songs of all time

Subby is up

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 02-23-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #504
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
See I kinda looked at it the other way in that Macarena is THE quintessential one hit wonder. It hit the scene like a mack truck and then flamed out just as fast and we never heard from it or the "band" again. I see what you guys are saying about longevity but as a one hit wonder I think Macarena fits perfectly. However, I am not voting so what do I know?

And that's what I'm saying - that argument makes total sense. But I can also see the argument that you want a one-hit wonder - that is a wonder because people know the song across generations and 10 years from now people will know it, that kind of thing.

I'm not sure where i stand fwiw.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #505
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
Stepping out of the Sixties wheelhouse now. I'm happy to be taking this band off the board, and the main reason I'm not taking any of their other hits is because they are either better suited to categories for which there are better choices and because it sits atop my current Arena list, with little else of quality besides it.

Classic - 1.3 - Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Epic - 3.3 - The End - The Doors
Arena - 4.8 - Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Trendsetter - 2.8 - Respect - Aretha Franklin
Love Song -
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover -
Anti-Establishment -

That was my other choice I was talking about. I really wanted to take U2 off the board but the only category I had available for them was Love Song and I wasn't sure With or Without You or One would have fitted there either, so I just went one of the most popular songs ever in Imagine. But insomuch the Streets gets U2 off, it's not an Arena rocker. - Pride would have been much better, imo.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #506
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I thought about taking Streets as an epic, but I wasn't sure it was over-the-top enough.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #507
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Classic -Foxy Lady- Jimi Hendrix- 3.2
Epic - BaBa O'reilly ( also known as teenage wasteland)- The Who - 2.9
Arena -
Trendsetter - Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana- 1.2
Love Song - At Last- Eda James - 4.9
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover -
Anti-Establishment -

:searches on line to find out what this song is:

Bad sign for Lathum...

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #508
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
I really thought somebody would tap U2 for a love song in the first couple of rounds. With or without you, maybe.

Yeah, I'm glad to be able to take them late, and especially in the category that they've kind of claimed as their own these days.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #509
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That was my other choice I was talking about. I really wanted to take U2 off the board but the only category I had available for them was Love Song and I wasn't sure With or Without You or One would have fitted there either, so I just went one of the most popular songs ever in Imagine. But insomuch the Streets gets U2 off, it's not an Arena rocker. - Pride would have been much better, imo.
Given your Imagine pick, I'm surprised you didn't take Streets as a one-hit wonder.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #510
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm here to pick
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #511
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: Oh, right...

But voters less engaged might not bother looking if they don't know it by the title like I didn't. Now that I know what it is, it's a good song, but I don't know if what happened with me may happen with other voters and hurt you.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #512
Warhammer
Pro Starter

R&B and Pop are two separate genres and were even more delineated when Stevie Wonder recorded it.

Also, NoMyths just backed my argument on Arena rock songs. Great song in the fourth round.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #513
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

doh!!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #514
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Given your Imagine pick, I'm surprised you didn't take Streets as a one-hit wonder.

oh man

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #515
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

And re: Pride, it's not nearly as good a song as Streets. Not to mention that if you've ever been to a U2 show, you'd have no question about Streets' Arena credentials...it's one of the two or three songs that gets the loudest reaction. The riff is also instantly recognizable.

In fact... *goes to fire up the tune right now*
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #516
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

let me say something about my pick. Anyone who has evet been to a wedding knows that song. It is a classic. At least half the weddings I have been to that has been the couples song. It is easily one of the greatest love songs of all time
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #517
Subby
lolzcat

U2 is an interesting arena rock choice. They don't really (imo) fit the traditional definition of an arena rock band. I would categorize them as neo-arena rock - a departure from Queen, Pink Floyd, etc...

I probably would have gone with I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For...because that seems like more of a sing-a-long arena song.

Good blocking move...you take the When Love Comes to Town collaboration with BB King out of crossover consideration.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #518
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:

hahaha
Old 02-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #519
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I love At Last, Lathum. But I think you probably could have grabbed it in the final round.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #520
Subby
lolzcat

Etta James

And that song is fucking beautiful...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #521
st.cronin
General Manager

I think that's Lathum's strongest pick yet.

knives out
Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #522
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
And re: Pride, it's not nearly as good a song as Streets. Not to mention that if you've ever been to a U2 show, you'd have no question about Streets' Arena credentials...it's one of the two or three songs that gets the loudest reaction. The riff is also instantly recognizable.

In fact... *goes to fire up the tune right now*

I have, of course, been to a U2 stadium concert and nothing ever came close to rockin' the house like Pride. Probably one of my favorite concert moment ever. Streets is a great, great song - so much so that I thought about putting it in Epic.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #523
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I love At Last, Lathum. But I think you probably could have grabbed it in the final round.
Word.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #524
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I wasn't sure. It is a solid pick IMO and I wanted to get one of my female artists out of the way early.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #525
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
R&B and Pop are two separate genres and were even more delineated when Stevie Wonder recorded it.

Idano, I just can't get behind that logic... When I hear Stevie now, it's about the farthest thing from a crossover I can think of - and I tend to think the voters will feel that way too. Again, especially with the definition ML layed out... I can see it being stronger than some of the other picks in that category, but multiple picks for crossover to me have been WAY off of the definition ML laid out (ironically, even his own pick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
let me say something about my pick. Anyone who has evet been to a wedding knows that song. It is a classic. At least half the weddings I have been to that has been the couples song. It is easily one of the greatest love songs of all time

Agreed. I just don't know if you'll be punished by people like me that don't recognize it by name.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #526
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'd consider Streets as arena, but I think it would have been better as epic as far as the sweep of it goes, especially the long version with the full intro.

Regarding one-hit wonders, the Macarena is the biggest one-hit wonder, but remember, the public is voting on this. What is going to determine their vote? I appreciate Macarena's position, but depending on which other wonders come out, I will vote for them for longevity.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #527
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ML, I am going off my list for my next pick so I will be ready after Subby goes,
Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #528
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

That's funny. But we'll see if voters go with name recognition over niche. Probably half will and half won't. At least I got Lennon off the board for the easy anti-est.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #529
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'd consider Streets as arena, but I think it would have been better as epic as far as the sweep of it goes, especially the long version with the full intro.

Regarding one-hit wonders, the Macarena is the biggest one-hit wonder, but remember, the public is voting on this. What is going to determine their vote? I appreciate Macarena's position, but depending on which other wonders come out, I will vote for them for longevity.

And people may punish Macarena because they just hate the song, vs. a one-hit wonder that they enjoy.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #530
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hey, Mapleleafs. can you cut and paste what I said about my pick and edit it into your post for my pick, that way the explination is right there?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #531
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Re: Superstition, I agree with the consensus -- it's not a crossover hit in terms of mixing musical genres as much as it is a straight-ahead funk tune that crossed over into widespread mainstream appeal. If we're going with the rules definition, I can't see it being a good fit, but as always the voters will decide.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #532
st.cronin
General Manager

I thought Superstition was a decent pick, although I would have it used it ... differently.

knives out
Old 02-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #533
Subby
lolzcat

Well I think this might be one of the best covers ever from one of the best cover bands (ok, they had a few originals). Nothing wrong with paying tribute to The Kinks.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the REAL Van Halen with....You Really Got Me.

Classic - Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin (1-1)
Epic - Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd (3-1)
Arena -
Trendsetter -
Love Song -
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover - You Really Got Me, Van Halen (4-10)
Anti-Establishment - Fuck Tha Police, N.W.A. (2-10)

Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 AM   #534
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Re: Superstition, I agree with the consensus -- it's not a crossover hit in terms of mixing musical genres as much as it is a straight-ahead funk tune that crossed over into widespread mainstream appeal. If we're going with the rules definition, I can't see it being a good fit, but as always the voters will decide.

I think as someone said earlier, we will see more square pegs/round holes picks as time moves on.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 02-23-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 AM   #535
st.cronin
General Manager

solid

knives out
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #536
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Idano, I just can't get behind that logic... When I hear Stevie now, it's about the farthest thing from a crossover I can think of - and I tend to think the voters will feel that way too. Again, especially with the definition ML layed out... I can see it being stronger than some of the other picks in that category, but multiple picks for crossover to me have been WAY off of the definition ML laid out (ironically, even his own pick).

That's the impact of Superstition though. It was such a big hit, that Stevie Wonder basically left R&B and became a Pop singer. Now if you want to argue that for most of us, we think of Wonder as a Pop singer rather than R&B, I'll grant you that. But, R&B and Pop are definitely not the same category.

Look at Aretha Franklin, she is R&B, she isn't Pop, but she has had some pop hits. I can't go into others since we're still drafting.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #537
Subby
lolzcat

Working on 5.1...

Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #538
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I thought Superstition was a decent pick, although I would have it used it ... differently.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I think as someone said earlier, we will see more square pegs/round holes picks as time moves on.

That's the thing though - I hope the voters will reward round pegs in round holes, I know I will. to me you have a much weaker "team" if you are fitting square pegs in round holes... the guys with the most round pegs in round holes will immediately jump ahead of those jamming things in anywhere... that's part of this game, otherwise you'd just get 10 picks without any categories - to just ignore the categories pretty much should hurt you with the voters, especially if you do it repeatedly.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #539
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
That's the impact of Superstition though. It was such a big hit, that Stevie Wonder basically left R&B and became a Pop singer. Now if you want to argue that for most of us, we think of Wonder as a Pop singer rather than R&B, I'll grant you that. But, R&B and Pop are definitely not the same category.

Look at Aretha Franklin, she is R&B, she isn't Pop, but she has had some pop hits. I can't go into others since we're still drafting.

I'm trying to argue that voters will see Stevie Wonder as a Crossover and go "Huh?"... that's all i'm saying...

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #540
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Working on 5.1...

I've been a fan of your picks, so i'm anxious to see.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #541
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

That was my first thought. Seeing as how I'm planning a wedding, it's on my radar, but I wouldn't have thought to pick it. Mainly I would have assumed there are people like Wade that definitely know the song but don't recognize it by name.

Quote:
Idano, I just can't get behind that logic... When I hear Stevie now, it's about the farthest thing from a crossover I can think of - and I tend to think the voters will feel that way too. Again, especially with the definition ML layed out... I can see it being stronger than some of the other picks in that category, but multiple picks for crossover to me have been WAY off of the definition ML laid out (ironically, even his own pick)

This is in the same line with the Cash pick. Great songs, definitely from a specific genre, but in their time they were ground-breaking in their mass appeal. We'll see how it plays out.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #542
st.cronin
General Manager

I do think of Superstition a crossover, not a round peg/square hole at all. I just think it had game-changing potential elsewhere.

knives out
Old 02-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #543
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

after further reflection I probably could have waithed here, but I think this song is so fresh in my mind because I am getting married this year.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #544
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Agreed. I just don't know if you'll be punished by people like me that don't recognize it by name.

He's just gotta hope that people read the song title reaaaallllyyyy slloooowwwwwlllly.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #545
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

No shame in having it on the roster at all, Lathum. A beautiful song, and takes care of a female slot (snicker).
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #546
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm trying to argue that voters will see Stevie Wonder as a Crossover and go "Huh?"... that's all i'm saying...

Yeah, I can see that. Down here in Memphis, we're far mor familiar with Wonder's R&B stuff than most people are. Also, I think age helps here as well, if you're still in your 20s, you probably remember Wonder for stuff like "I Just Called" and dreck like that.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #547
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yeah, I can see that. Down here in Memphis, we're far mor familiar with Wonder's R&B stuff than most people are. Also, I think age helps here as well, if you're still in your 20s, you probably remember Wonder for stuff like "I Just Called" and dreck like that.

and I think this board is still mostly folks in their 20's (like me), so that's part of my thought.

Quote:
Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #548
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Great pick by Subby. VH has a few of those that could have gone into that slot.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #549
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm hitting refresh obsesivly because I love my next pick
Old 02-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #550
wade moore
lolzcat

Subby's such a tease.

Quote: