Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #501
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Despite being an unabashed fanboy of the the first three season, I'm stunned Community got another 13-episode order.

Given that every new comedy on NBC was cancelled, they needed to renew more than just Parks and Rec to fill in their schedule. Community has a death slot for a new comedy so you might as well place a sitcom with a small established audience you don't need to promote there rather than waste money promoting a new comedy that is doomed to failure in a lousy timeslot.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #502
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Given that every new comedy on NBC was cancelled, they needed to renew more than just Parks and Rec to fill in their schedule. Community has a death slot for a new comedy so you might as well place a sitcom with a small established audience you don't need to promote there rather than waste money promoting a new comedy that is doomed to failure in a lousy timeslot.
I think you're right. I may be harder on Community than I need to be because I thought the first three seasons were so brilliant and this season was so average. But we also know what Community is. Community isn't going to all of a sudden draw 8 million viewers out of nowhere. I think I would have been tempted to renew Go On despite the fact that it it really tailed off number wise to slightly below Community levels. There's not a lot of upside, but there's at least some upside.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #503
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Somebody is going to have to explain to me how TV works anymore. You put a new show in mid-April and then expect people to watch after their TV schedules are already set. You have some really good star power but then you cut it after four episodes. I don't get it. I'm talking about the How to Live With Your Parents show. Family Tools, while I didn't watch, is similar. You have some well known faces there but you're not going to give them any chance when you start a show at the beginning of May and wonder why people don't watch.
I did raise an eyebrow and the cancellation of How to Live With Your Parents. Given the cast and the initial expectations, it seems really fast to cut the show. On the other hand, so far the show was very uneven, and I'm guessing ABC wasn't enthusiastic about the show. The ultimate blow is that ABC wasn't happy that Happy Endings and Suburgatory were only holding 70% of Modern Family's audience and HTLWYP was doing even worse.

I do think it's sad that a show like Seinfeld would have virtually no chance today. The competition for viewers is so fierce and viewers are so jaded that if a show isn't considered at least a moderate hit they don't give it a second chance. If Seinfeld debuted today, it probably wouldn't make it past 7 episodes, and even if it did, it would have Community-like ratings. Unless it got picked up by ABC or CBS and put behind one of their hits for an extended period.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Somebody is going to have to explain to me how TV works anymore. You put a new show in mid-April and then expect people to watch after their TV schedules are already set. You have some really good star power but then you cut it after four episodes. I don't get it. I'm talking about the How to Live With Your Parents show.

The show only had a 13 episode order and the premiere was delayed from January to April, critics hadn't been particularly warm to it either. This looks like a case of "ah what the hell, might as well put it on for a while & see if anything happens". What happened was it lost over 25% of it's debut audience by the 3rd episode and almost half of it by the 4th.

Plus clear definitions of a "season" have eroded considerably. There were 6 other shows (albeit cable) debuting the same night as HTLWYP. And 4 more over the next 2 Wednesdays. At this point TV almost has a rolling calendar, there seems to be something making its series or season debut just about every week outside of the holidays at the end of the year.

Quote:
Family Tools, while I didn't watch, is similar. You have some well known faces there but you're not going to give them any chance when you start a show at the beginning of May and wonder why people don't watch.

I don't think that was much more than a burnoff. From Metacritic on March 12th (about 6 weeks before the show debuted
Quote:
ABC's delayed new sitcom is based on the BBC series White Van Man, which was briefly a hit before quickly tanking in its second season. The American version (which changes the van color to red to show just how different it is) finds star Kyle Bornheimer (Perfect Couples) taking over the family handyman business from his father (J.K. Simmons) even though everyone expects him to fail. Just 10 episodes were ordered, and Simmons has already landed a role in another pilot, so don't expect this one to last long.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-11-2013 at 08:53 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #505
cuervo72
Head Coach

Simmons should be in a show where he hunts the Mayhem guy.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #506
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I wrote this a few years ago, and people didn't agree, but I think NBC did this to itself. More than any other network, it doesn't stick with its new shows. Which means you have to wait a year before you start watching if you're among those who need to "invest" a little in a show to add it to your list. Maybe this applies more to dramas than comedies.

When I made my choices for last fall, I simply ignored NBC. Not because they're incapable of producing a good new show, but because if they do, I doubt it will find an audience. As of next Thursday, there won't be any more NBC scripted shows on my list (CW or Fox, either, but their selections are more limited).

Last edited by Solecismic : 05-11-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This might be have been mentioned somewhere along the way but if so I don't recall it ... USA has announced that this will be the final season for Burn Notice.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TNT officially cancelled Southland and Monday Mornings on Friday
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #509
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This might be have been mentioned somewhere along the way but if so I don't recall it ... USA has announced that this will be the final season for Burn Notice.

I'm not upset about this...I'm actually happy that they'll hopefully bring it to some sort of resolution...it's been jumping through crazy-ass hoops for the past couple years now I think we can all agree (not that it's not enjoyable still).
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #510
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
TNT officially cancelled Southland and Monday Mornings on Friday

Shame to see Southland go, Michael Cudlitz (aka John Cooper) really shined in this past season, and now we won't know if he lived or died.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #511
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

24!!!!!!

Kiefer Sutherland Signs On For More '24', New Limited Series Is A Go At Fox - Deadline.com
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #512
DanGarion
Coordinator

Did Go On officially get cancelled?....????
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #513
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Did Go On officially get cancelled?....????

Yep, was official either Thursday or Friday (I don't recall which off hand)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #514
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And now confirmed by the network, plus this little tidbit of info
"Episodes will "skip" hours based on the plot. Will "probably" premiere in early May."

’24: Live Another Day’ Limited Series Officially Picked up By FOX - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #515
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And now confirmed by the network, plus this little tidbit of info
"Episodes will "skip" hours based on the plot. Will "probably" premiere in early May."

’24: Live Another Day’ Limited Series Officially Picked up By FOX - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

So it's not really "24" then.

Think the shtick got a bit tired, but still annoys me that they're keeping the name. If they called it "Jack Bauer: BLAH BLAH BLHA" everyone would totally get that it was the same "universe."

Then again, it's been so long since I watched, I might tune in a little bit.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #516
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

From all I have read, this is basically taking place of the movie that never seemed to get off the ground. I am much more on-board with 12 hours of the show than 2 hours (not only as it pertains to the feel of the show, but just the fact that it is that much more content).
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #517
mckerney
Coordinator

If the new Doctor is anything like Malcolm Tucker I will have to start watching more Doctor Who.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-05-2013 at 12:43 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #518
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Continuum on SciFi. Found it on Netflix and catching up on S1. Need to remember to add S2 to my DVR for once I'm caught up.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #519
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Continuum on SciFi. Found it on Netflix and catching up on S1. Need to remember to add S2 to my DVR for once I'm caught up.

I want to like it more than I have so far-lots of recognizable and good actors in it, but haven't found the story particularly interesting sadly. Time-travel stories have never been my favorite and that's probably coloring my reaction to it.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #520
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If the new Doctor is anything like Malcolm Tucker I will have to start watching more Doctor Who.

From The Guardian:

Quote:
EXT. DISTANT MOON - DAY

The Doctor's GREATEST FOES – Daleks, Cybermen, Ice Warriors, Weeping Angels, The Adipose and that weird Anne Robinson robot from 2005 – stand on the surface of a battle-scarred moon, collectively staring at a nearby planet as it explodes. From various expressions, it is clear that something has gone terribly wrong.

DALEK #1
Whoops.

ANNE ROBINSON
I only said to scare them a bit. Now look what you've done. You've blown up their planet.

CYBERMAN #1
Are we going to get into trouble?

ANNE ROBINSON
Of course we're going to get into trouble.

CYBERMAN #1
Can't we just tape it back together?

ANNE ROBINSON
No we can't just tape it back together. That's a planet we've just accidentally exploded. Look, he already hates us enough as it is. Maybe we should all just sneak away quietly before he ...

A loud wheezing sound. Flashing. THE TARDIS fades into view. As the baddies turn around, the door smashes open and THE DOCTOR strides out in a white shirt and tie. He has the air of someone frazzled by his responsibilities, as if he hasn't slept for days. CLARA follows a few seconds later, wearing the unmistakeable expression of someone who has been relentlessly yelled at for several hours.

THE DOCTOR
Anne, you've changed your hair. Very red, you minx. [Gestures at exploded planet] What the fuck's happened to that? It looks like a Butlins beachball that Eamonn Holmes tripped and fell on.

The Doctor swivels his eyes towards the Daleks and the Cybermen, who all studiously avoid making eye contact with him. He looks over at a Weeping Angel, frozen in an innocent whistle.

THE DOCTOR
Didn't that used to be Glasson Minor? Hey, pissy biscuits, did you just blow up Glasson Minor? I loved that bloody planet.

ANNE ROBINSON
Yes, Doctor. Look, sorry, there's a perfectly decent explanation for this. We all just sort of got a little bit carried away. You know how it is.

THE DOCTOR
Well, as long as there's a decent explanation, that's good enough for me. Good seeing you all again.

The Doctor begins to walk back to the TARDIS, then stops and turns around.

THE DOCTOR
Oh, wait a minute...

Clara's shoulders slump. This routine again.

THE DOCTOR
Sorry, I've just realised. That wasn't actually a decent explanation at all, was it? That was barely an explanation at all. It was just a noise, really, wasn't it? It sounded like leaky cattle diarrhoea. Look at you all, standing there with your thumbs up your arses like the world's shittest collection of novelty dildos. I'm the Doctor now. Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey shitey-bitey fucking fish fingers and custard and all that bollocks. And I'm expected to deal with this. You useless bunch of catastrophic fucking dismal CUN...

THE INCIDENTAL MUSIC suddenly swells.

THE DOCTOR
Oh, nice try. Make the music louder. You're trying to drown me out, aren't you? I've seen this show before, I know how this works. Well, you listen to me, you epic fuck-up. I will unleash a hurricane of piss at you if I even hear so much as a stray kazoo fart from this point onwards.

The music stops, embarrassed with itself. Now The Doctor turns to face the camera.

THE DOCTOR
And you! Whoever wrote this! I didn't just fucking play Malcolm Tucker before I got this job, you tinpot broadsheet fucking faff arse. People found my performance in Local Hero touching. I was in Dangerous Shitting Liasons, pal. I won a fucking Oscar. And look at you. It's bad e-fucking-nough that you've boiled my entire career down to one single solitary mimsying role, but all you've done is make me sound like a bad Rab C Nesbitt tribute act. You've made me sound like Drab C Shitfit. Fuckety BYE.

The Doctor headbutts everyone in the universe, gets in his TARDIS and leaves.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Until last night's BB I didn't realize that AMC had moved Hell on Wheels to Saturday nights.

I can only figure that's a burn off & the show is toast (unless Low Winter Sun fails spectacularly)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #522
chadritt
High School Varsity

'Duck Dynasty' Season Premiere Breaks Cable Records With 11.8 Million Viewers - Deadline.com

Amazing...Ive never met someone who's even seen one episode of this show.

Last edited by chadritt : 08-15-2013 at 04:41 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #523
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
'Duck Dynasty' Season Premiere Breaks Cable Records With 11.8 Million Viewers - Deadline.com

At least none that will admit it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #524
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

A considerable portion of them are Facebook friends of mine, best I can figure anyway.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #525
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The really astonishing part of that press release (to me anyway) was the record-setting performance in the 18-34 demo ... until I re-read it and realized that it was only a [i]network[i/] record in the two younger slices.

It was the all-time anybody cable record for non-fiction series in total viewers & A25-54, which I'm not really shocked about, I think most observers felt like they'd be in that neighborhood for this season's premiere.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #526
chadritt
High School Varsity

Those numbers are just huge though, it kind of blows my mind.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #527
digamma
Torchbearer

A friend who gets these sorts of numbers told me the demographic stratifications for DD are fascinating.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
A friend who gets these sorts of numbers told me the demographic stratifications for DD are fascinating.

And would/could include all sorts of stuff that isn't part of the usual demo quantitative breakouts. But I bet the qualitative number are indeed a hoot
Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #529
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

No wonder the networks are dying when channels produce cheap shit like this.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #530
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
A considerable portion of them are Facebook friends of mine, best I can figure anyway.

Mine as well.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #531
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
No wonder the networks are dying when channels produce cheap shit like this.

The networks opened the door when they failed to write characters that were more entertaining, more engaging or simply more likable than these guys have turned out to be. Ditto, just to lesser degree, about a lot of the "reality" shows that populate cable.

Incidentally, this season finally got filmed after they resolved a salary dispute. New salary total is reportedly about $200k ... which is split between the 9 adults & 11 kids that appear on the show regularly.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #532
chadritt
High School Varsity

I heard that figure on the radio and thought it was a joke. Splitting 200k among 20 people on a show like that is ridiculous.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ok, Jon I've gotta ask: what's the appeal and how do the demos work for this?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #534
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

IMO the appeal is the sighting of that mythic creature, The Wise Redneck and the duality of learning from them while still allowing for viewer sense of superiority, at least among urban sophisticates.

Everyone else, it's like watching home videos.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #535
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
IMO the appeal is the sighting of that mythic creature, The Wise Redneck and the duality of learning from them while still allowing for viewer sense of superiority, at least among urban sophisticates.

Everyone else, it's like watching home videos.

But I though that a significant portion of reality tv that fits into the "sense of superiority" category. It has to be more than that

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #536
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
But I though that a significant portion of reality tv that fits into the "sense of superiority" category. It has to be more than that

SI

It does, but there's also an intelligence and humor to Duck Dynasty that elevates it above most reality TV fare.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #537
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It does, but there's also an intelligence and humor to Duck Dynasty that elevates it above most reality TV fare.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Unless there's something surprising in the stuff digamma mentioned (and there probably is a shocker in there somewhere tbh), here's what I see

-- this isn't a big accident. These are smart people, both common sense & educationally, there's a certain amount of calculation that went into this (although it's surely exceeded anybody's expectations)

-- The wise one + goofball + others scheme is a familiar one for reality viewers. (See: Pawn Stars) people know roughly what to expect going in, soon as they get the lay of the family land

-- The Southern appeal here is a huge part of the success obviously, but there's also pockets of the rest of the country that could totally get these guys basic approach to pretty much everything. Might not be so true for exclusively urban dwellers, but there plenty of people who grew up outside that environment no matter where they live now

-- I think the uncle is perhaps the star of the show. He's certainly the single most commented & quoted character among the diehard fans I know. And I believe he's one of the most familiar characters of the bunch. You definitely don't have to be Southern to recognize "that guy", frequently a relative from the more ... let's call it earthy side of the family. He's got his own way, but if you listen close enough you find yourself realizing how often he's right. (And I'm talking about the uncle in Maine, or Idaho, or New Mexico, or wherever, not just the one on DD)

-- The second most commented on thing about the show (which I've seen mentioned repeatedly tonight as word of the ratings has spread) is the frequent ending of show with the prayer around the family dinner table. While it isn't as common as it used to be, as of 2012 roughly 2/3rd of the U.S. self-identified as "religious". 58% of the country said they prayed one or more times a day. There's both a contemporary andnostalgic appeal in this being shown as something that the family simply does at home. It's not for show on Sunday, it's how they live their lives.

-- There's most likely something hopeful about watching this collection of, let's go with oddballs as a description, be successful. I mean, if these guys can get fairly rich ... damn there might be some hope for me too. Beats the reality of the U.S. economy for a lot people.

Demographically, I'm sure the demos that are the strongest are white, southern, Christian, likely male/female more evenly split than most shows, older but not entirely old (i.e. these kind of numbers aren't just 55+, or even 45+). I'd imagine that a complete demographic breakdown shows a surprise or two in there as well (I could guess at several possibilities but I'd just be guessing), if you dominate those categories I described above then you'll get a strong number, to get an all-time record number I figure you probably needed one or two unexpected demo to kick in just a little bit to push you over the top.

edit to add: I left out one more element of the appeal. These people, whatever you might think of them, do seem to actually care about each other. Almost Roseanne'esque at times, but they've got hearts. And seeing that once a week ain't unappealing.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-15-2013 at 10:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #539
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't mind the premise or the characters, but I hate how much the show seems to be scripted, or at least improved until they get a take they like.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #540
Suicane75
Coordinator

But that's every reality show. It's just a genre of scripted TV at this point.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #541
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
But that's every reality show. It's just a genre of scripted TV at this point.

Just gonna chime in real quick since its a pet peeve, thats not true or fair. Yes there are some scripted/fake shows, ive worked on a couple, but not all are.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #542
Suicane75
Coordinator

Examples?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #543
chadritt
High School Varsity

I think I would get sued if i gave specific examples but its worth noting that competition shows are typically held to the same standards as game shows. Frankly I only say typically because im less than 100% positive the quiz show laws apply.

ETA: I.E. public votes are real. anything with a timed component is, in my experience, accurate to within hundredths of a second when you see the final time.

Last edited by chadritt : 08-15-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #544
Suicane75
Coordinator

No, I'm just asking for reality shows that are real reality.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #545
chadritt
High School Varsity

yeah....as I said theres a chance that would be a violation of contracts. Its not terribly difficult for people to find a complete list of shows Ive worked on so if i listed some that are fully real it would be an implication that others arent.

Long winded way of having to say "just trust me"
Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #546
chadritt
High School Varsity

DOLA- Its worth mentioning that my definition of "real" may be different than yours. As an editor I feel like a certain amount of manipulation is necessary for various reasons.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #547
Suicane75
Coordinator

I believe that contest shows like Survivor and BB are real in so much as the voting by the public and what not is on the level, how they get there though is a much different story.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #548
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Long winded way of having to say "just trust me"

Nope.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #549
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
DOLA- Its worth mentioning that my definition of "real" may be different than yours. As an editor I feel like a certain amount of manipulation is necessary for various reasons.

Then it isn't reality. Not a knock on you, it's just a slippery slope.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #550
chadritt
High School Varsity

Then what constitutes reality? Do you want to just watch 22 or 44 minutes straight of raw footage with no music? Because if you consider editing, which is by its nature manipulation, to make it unreal than thats all that would be acceptable.

Last edited by chadritt : 08-15-2013 at 11:07 PM.