Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #501
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Cubs should be willing to trade every damn prospect they have. One championship there is worth more than a twenty year playoff spree.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #502
Logan
Head Coach

Scary thing is they probably can add a couple pieces and still have a strong shot at that length (well, maybe 10 year...) playoff spree.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #503
rjolley
College Starter

I'd rather see them get Miller instead of Chapman, especially for that many prospects.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #504
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I'd rather see them get Miller instead of Chapman, especially for that many prospects.

Yankees wanted Schwarber for Miller.

No chance.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #505
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

For those that aren't obsessive stat junkies, just wanted to point out that since he was called-up earlier this year, M's reliever Edwin Diaz has racked up 44 K's in 21 2/3 innings - a rate of 18.28 per 9. Who knows how long that rate will hold up (not to mention his elbow & shoulder), but he's striking out batters at a higher rate than basically anyone in history. Higher than Chapman, higher than Kimbrel.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #506
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
For those that aren't obsessive stat junkies, just wanted to point out that since he was called-up earlier this year, M's reliever Edwin Diaz has racked up 44 K's in 21 2/3 innings - a rate of 18.28 per 9. Who knows how long that rate will hold up (not to mention his elbow & shoulder), but he's striking out batters at a higher rate than basically anyone in history. Higher than Chapman, higher than Kimbrel.

Wow that's nuts. What sorta pitch set does he roll with? Is he a high velocity guy?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #507
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Yankees wanted Schwarber for Miller.

No chance.

Yeah, unfortunate, but with that contract, they could hold out for a big haul. Surprised the Cubs gave up what they did, but Theo has done well so far with his deals...well, except Heyward at this point.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #508
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wow that's nuts. What sorta pitch set does he roll with? Is he a high velocity guy?
He's hit 100mph and averages just under 97 per FanGraphs. He's got pretty good deception to his delivery, so it probably plays even faster. His other pitch is a slider which has decent bite, but I'd guess it's mostly effective as something to play off his heater.

He was the M's highest-rated starting pitcher prospect entering the season, but they converted him early this season to the bullpen. Given his size and his pitching motion, it's probably going to keep him from breaking down as quickly, but that arm-action is going to lead to an injury at some point.

Last edited by dawgfan : 07-26-2016 at 12:11 AM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #509
Johnny93g
College Starter

Melvin Upton dealt to the Jays for an A-class prospect, not named yet. Love the deal. Upgrade our speed, and defense. He's got good pop and has hit lefties well, something the team hasn't done enough of this year. The Padres are supposedly covering a portion of his remaining contract.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #510
lungs
Pro Rookie

My preferred destination for Jonathan Lucroy has to be Cleveland.

Talks of Lucroy to the Mets for a deal centering around Travis d'Arnaud just don't make any sense for the Brewers. Doubtful the Brewers want anybody that has already accumulated service time.

Not sure if there are any Indians fans on here but my deal would look like this:
Brewers send Lucroy and LHP Will Smith
Indians send: 1B Bobby Bradley RHP Triston McKenzie C Francisco Mejia LHP Juan Hillman
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #511
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
The Padres are supposedly covering a portion of his remaining contract.

Apparently all but $5 million of it. The Blue Jays robbed the Padres on this one.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #512
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So the Cubs got Chapman to "throw the last pitch of the season."

Is it evil that I want it to be like Mitch Williams' last pitch of 93? They would be getting their wish...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #513
JeeberD
General Manager

Good grief, the Rangers are desperate. Trading for Luca Harrell? Yikes...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #514
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
He's light years better than the minor league guys they've been calling up. Take out the starts of Yu and Hamels, and the starter's ERA in July is over 8.00. Just need some stopgap stuff until Holland and Lewis come off the DL middle of August. There's still a chance they pull the trigger on a trade for Sale or Matt Moore. The trade deadline should be interesting once again.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #515
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He's light years better than the minor league guys they've been calling up. Take out the starts of Yu and Hamels, and the starter's ERA in July is over 8.00. Just need some stopgap stuff until Holland and Lewis come off the DL middle of August.

Hahaha. This is what Rangers fans keep pointing to and I laugh. Lewis and Holland? Yeah, if that's who the hopes are riding on, then Texas is screwed. A 90-year old with no gas left (plenty of heart tho) and a dipshit headcase that throws an impressive round of BP.

Go Stros.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #516
MrBug708
Head Coach

Royals breaking rules for advantages?

Why the Angels played Wednesday's game vs. the Royals under protest - CBSSports.com
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #517
Logan
Head Coach

Mets are so, so done.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #518
Logan
Head Coach

Marlins getting Cashner and Rea from Padres.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #519
Atocep
Coordinator

Rumor is the Yankees turned down a Giolito for Andrew Miller trade.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #520
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Rumor is the Yankees turned down a Giolito for Andrew Miller trade.

rumor is the Nats turned down a giolito for miller trade...

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #521
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

apparently someone on twitter tossed it out and both sides said they wouldn't do that.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #522
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
rumor is the Nats turned down a giolito for miller trade...

Quote:
MLB.com's Jon Morosi reported, citing sources who talked to the Nationals, would be willing to give up prized pitching prospect Lucas Giolito in the deal straight-up for Miller.

3 places I've read are saying the Nationals are willing to do the trade straight up but the Yankees want more.

Example:

MLB Trade Deadline Rumor Buy or Sell: Nats willing to deal Giolito for Miller? - CBSSports.com
Old 07-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #523
Atocep
Coordinator

If it was offered, the Yankees should be accepting a trade like that before the Nationals can change their mind.

Even putting Giolito on the market at all would be questionable.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 PM   #524
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
3 places I've read are saying the Nationals are willing to do the trade straight up but the Yankees want more.

Example:

MLB Trade Deadline Rumor Buy or Sell: Nats willing to deal Giolito for Miller? - CBSSports.com

checking out twitter...looks like nonsense started by the yankees fan blogs. all reputable sources say its insane.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #525
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Eibner for Burns???? That one's not going to be very popular at all.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #526
Suicane75
Coordinator

Padres send Matt Kemp to the Braves for that Cuban 3B who can't hit. Like two dumpster fires, passing in the night. Only thing better would be if they used Kemp to get McCann.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #527
Suicane75
Coordinator

I don't know if this says more about the Phillies or the Braves, but the Phils just scored 4 runs in an inning on 4 walks, 2 steals, 2 errors and a HBP. What they didn't do? Get a hit.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #528
cartman
Death Herald

Indians have made some big moves the past couple of days. They refreshed their battery with a couple of trades. One with the Brewers to get Jonathan Lucroy and another with the Yankees to get Andrew Miller.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #529
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Yeah, unfortunate, but with that contract, they could hold out for a big haul. Surprised the Cubs gave up what they did, but Theo has done well so far with his deals...well, except Heyward at this point.

I was a little surprised too. Torres is the top prospect in the organization (top 25 in all of baseball). McKinney has fallen a bit out of favor but he was a decent prospect coming into this season. And Warren is at least an ML arm you can use in relief or as a starter. That's typically what you give up for a top of the rotation starter at the deadline.

Then again I think bullpen arms are becoming more valuable with how talented they've become. It's also a huge advantage come playoff time because you can use the same guy in every single playoff game if you need to with the days off.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #530
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Cubs should be willing to trade every damn prospect they have. One championship there is worth more than a twenty year playoff spree.

I still think you can be smart about it. They did give up a lot for Chapman. But I'd be pissed if they gave up someone like Ian Happ for a bat off the bench.

The playoffs are still kind of a crapshoot once you get to them. I'd rather have a team that makes the playoffs 7 of the next 8 years than having the best team in the league going into the playoffs for 1.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #531
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Padres send Matt Kemp to the Braves for that Cuban 3B who can't hit. Like two dumpster fires, passing in the night. Only thing better would be if they used Kemp to get McCann.

The Pads spent $10-12m to save $60m over the next 3 years. All they had to do was to find someone to off-load Kemp contract to and the Braves took the bait. That dumpster fire from the Braves was DFA immediately.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #532
lungs
Pro Rookie

Lucroy vetoed the trade to Cleveland. WTF, I hope the Crew doesn't take whatever the Mets were offering
Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #533
Suicane75
Coordinator

Seems like an odd thing to do. He must really not like Cleveland.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #534
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Seems like an odd thing to do. He must really not like Cleveland.

Possibly tried to extract some more money out of them or maybe even demanded they not pick up his option for next year. Kind of makes the talk this past winter from Lucroy about wanting to go to a winner a little laughable.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #535
lungs
Pro Rookie

Sounding like it was the option thing. I don't blame Lucroy at all, and I don't blame the Indians for not wanting to do it.

I wasn't enamored with the package in return, though I do think the catcher from Cleveland is going to be good. I wanted a pitcher in return.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #536
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice. Wish that Country Breakfast would have shown a bit more of this in KC.

Billy Butler Beefs With Catcher, Crushes Huge Dong, Flips Bat
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #537
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Padres send Matt Kemp to the Braves for that Cuban 3B who can't hit*

*anyone except his domestic partner.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #538
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yankees did extremely well for Miller.

I thought the pirates did well for Melancon.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #539
lungs
Pro Rookie

Rangers swoopin on Lucroy now. Maybe a pitcher to come along? This could end up being like the Carlos Gomez trade last year. I liked the return package in the second trade to Houston than the first with the Mets. Hopefully I can say the same this time.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #540
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The Pads spent $10-12m to save $60m over the next 3 years. All they had to do was to find someone to off-load Kemp contract to and the Braves took the bait. That dumpster fire from the Braves was DFA immediately.

Isn't the savings less than half that though, since they'd still have to pay off the DFA, right? That's $25.5m remaining to pay, then another $10.5 mil to the Braves in cash over the next four years.

I mean, $28m or so isn't chump change & it's still a nice savings but it's not as though they get the entire $63m off the books clean.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-31-2016 at 03:00 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #541
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Isn't the savings less than half that though, since they'd still have to pay off the DFA, right? That's $25.5m remaining to pay, then another $10.5 mil to the Braves in cash over the next four years.

I mean, $28m or so isn't chump change & it's still a nice savings but it's not as though they get the entire $63m off the books clean.

Yep. Although the way the math works out they're basically passing along the money they're getting from LA to Atlanta.

They've been eating a lot of money this year in moving vets and blowing past the international limits. Are these the Padres?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #542
cartman
Death Herald

The AL Central has been good to the Rangers as of late. They are 6-1 against the Royals in the last 10 games, including a just concluded 4 game sweep. Then they got some help from the Tigers, who completed a sweep of their own against the Astros. The lead is back up to 6 games.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #543
Suicane75
Coordinator

Orioles bolster rotation, trade for M's lefty Miley

I can't figure out if this is a factual statement or not.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:17 AM   #544
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Sadly, he's probably their #3 starter.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:21 AM   #545
Suicane75
Coordinator

Remember that 3 month period where Ubaldo Jimenez was the best pitcher in the majors. Seems like a world ago.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:48 AM   #546
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Remember that 3 month period where Ubaldo Jimenez was the best pitcher in the majors. Seems like a world ago.

Yeah I was looking at his stats. He had a great half season, IIRC.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #547
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like Bruce to the Mets in a deal built around Nimmo. I'm not a huge Bruce fan but that works for me as long as the lower level guys joining him aren't high end.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #548
Suicane75
Coordinator

The White Sox front office wants Puig in any deal with the Dodgers, because The White Sox front office and Puig together seems like it'll work out just dandy.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #549
cartman
Death Herald

Less than 3 hours to go. There have been a metric crap load of deals discussed, but very few have been made.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #550
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Dodgers sell the farm to get Josh Reddick and Rich Hill from the A's.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote