Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #501
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Keith Law is saying the rumored turned down Jays-Mets deal is fake and never happened.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #502
JS19
College Prospect

Yea that's a tough one. Halladay isn't going to put the Mets in the playoffs this yr, and as it has been said, the Mets have no depth. Obviously Sanatana and Halladay would be awesome, but I'm sure he is gonna want an extension, and that would be a hefty chunk of change for the two.

Atocep, according to Gary Cohen during the game tonight, Wilpon has told Minaya and Manuel they have nothing to worry about, they will be back.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #503
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Apparently Keith Law is saying the rumored turned down Jays-Mets deal is fake and never happened.

Who is Keith Law? If there is anyone to trust on breaking MLB news its Heyman, and Minaya didn't really do a good job of denying it tonight either when asked about it after the game:

Quote:
"That rumor's out there right now, but I'm not going to comment about rumors," Minaya said of the Halladay report.

Last edited by JohnnyBGood : 07-20-2009 at 11:06 PM.
JohnnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #504
henry296
College Starter

Keith Law works for Scouts Inc (ESPN) and used to work in the Blue Jays front office.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #505
JS19
College Prospect

Actually, this can't be true. Getting someone like Halladay back in a trade that includes our "top" prospect, Fernando Martinez, is too much. I see more of a Fernando Martinez for a Brad Penny type deal, that's more up the Mets' alley. Sorry, I'm still bitter over the Kazmir trade, Omar or not.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #506
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Yea that's a tough one. Halladay isn't going to put the Mets in the playoffs this yr, and as it has been said, the Mets have no depth. Obviously Sanatana and Halladay would be awesome, but I'm sure he is gonna want an extension, and that would be a hefty chunk of change for the two.

Atocep, according to Gary Cohen during the game tonight, Wilpon has told Minaya and Manuel they have nothing to worry about, they will be back.

Exactly what I expected. Wilpon loves Minaya and I think the Wilpons were hurt worse in the Madoff scam than they let on. The way the Mets acted this offseason was very telling and with Minaya's extension kicking in next year they aren't going to eat his contract.

Manuel scares me. From an outsiders perspective he doesn't seem to get along with his players (I could be wrong, but after the Church trade and the rumors I've heard that he and Reyes do not get along at all its what I've come to believe) all that well and I'm afraid of Omar doing something stupid because of it.

The training and medical staffs have to go. Complete overhaul. Especially after reading the article from a week or so ago that detailed the disaster of a training and medical staff the Mets have.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #507
JohnnyBGood
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

The training and medical staffs have to go. Complete overhaul. Especially after reading the article from a week or so ago that detailed the disaster of a training and medical staff the Mets have.

Can you link me to that article?

Thanks
JohnnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #508
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood View Post
Can you link me to that article?

Thanks

Bad contracts, injuries, questionable medical advice and failing farm system have crippled Mets

The end of page 3 and into page 4 is where it talks about the Mets medical staff.

We have such gems as these:

Quote:
Putz, who ultimately underwent surgery last month to remove a bone spur from his right elbow, had been told by team doctor David Altchek weeks earlier that he needed to immediately have the spur removed, a team source said. Instead, the Mets advocated a cortisone shot. Putz went 0-2 with a blown save and 7.71 ERA in 10 subsequent appearances before needing the procedure anyway.

Similarly, Maine twice has received cortisone shots, and was sped ahead of the doctor's recommendation, only to be set back, a source said.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #509
Atocep
Coordinator

Does Oliver Perez end the season with more walks than innings pitched?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #510
miked
College Starter

When I tore my ACL in college, Dr. Altcheck was my surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery. The night before my procedure, I got a call from the hospital saying my surgery was being rescheduled for the following week because Dr. Altcheck had been in a skiing accident and needed surgery himself. I ended up with another pretty good physician, Dr. O'Brien. Whatever those guys say, you'd be stupid to go against it.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #511
JS19
College Prospect

I'm getting sick of these guys on SNY saying how the Mets have no fight, or if they keep up this level of play it's over for them (as if it's not already). These morons need to get it through their heads that this team just lacks talent. It has nothing to do with no fight, or this or that, they just aren't any good.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #512
Atocep
Coordinator

Maine is likely done for this year and will probably make a trip to see Dr. Andrews.

Didn't he go on the DL with a "tired shoulder" because of his offseason surgery and was only expected to be about around a month?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #513
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ugh
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #514
tarcone
Coordinator

Pond Scum

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #515
JS19
College Prospect

so, what's the over/under on the firing of Omar, before or after the season completion?

If he's not fired before the start of next season, I'll seriously start doubting the Wilpon's ability as owners. I've always liked them, thought they handled their organization very well, but their insistence on not signing Manny over the winter, along with the whole mess this season, I'm starting to doubt them. I can understand and respect their decision on the Manny situation, how they didn't want to get involved with his nonsense, although it may not have been the best baseball decision, but they have no reason not to fire Minaya, minus his extension.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #516
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

CitiField is absurd. Did anyone see that ball Wright just hit?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #517
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- the look on his face was pretty funny on the replay
Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #518
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
CitiField is absurd. Did anyone see that ball Wright just hit?

Those fences need to come in about 10 feet, especially in the power alleys. I can't believe they have a team with Wright, Delgado, and Beltran and decided to build a park suited for the '85 cardinals.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #519
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
so, what's the over/under on the firing of Omar, before or after the season completion?

If he's not fired before the start of next season, I'll seriously start doubting the Wilpon's ability as owners. I've always liked them, thought they handled their organization very well, but their insistence on not signing Manny over the winter, along with the whole mess this season, I'm starting to doubt them. I can understand and respect their decision on the Manny situation, how they didn't want to get involved with his nonsense, although it may not have been the best baseball decision, but they have no reason not to fire Minaya, minus his extension.

ive read the mets owners got hammered by the madoff ponzi scheme, which explains not signing manny, and not wanting to fire omar, only to keep paying him

no idea if its true or not though
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #520
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
ive read the mets owners got hammered by the madoff ponzi scheme, which explains not signing manny, and not wanting to fire omar, only to keep paying him

no idea if its true or not though

Fred Wilpon reportedly lost $700 million.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #521
Pyser
Pro Rookie

sweet jesus! i thought you were kidding, but:

hxxp://www.nypost.com/seven/07162009/gossip/pagesix/mets_owner_wilpon_lost_700m_to_madoff_179496.htm
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #522
Atocep
Coordinator

Sounding more and more like Omar isn't going to be around much longer. They definitely aren't going to fire him with the trade deadline approaching and I doubt they fire him before the season is over, but this article does give me hope that he won't be the Mets GM next year.

Omar's press conference meltdown may end up being a great thing for Mets fans. I would have never imagined both Bernazard and Omar being fired during/after this season.

Wallace Matthews - Newsday
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #523
Atocep
Coordinator

Mets 2009 : Sean Engelhardt's Portfolio

I'll warn you that it's not a pleasant thing to look at.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-14-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #524
DanGarion
Coordinator

The greatest game of 2009 Metsloppily!
The Mets' Messy History
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #525
JS19
College Prospect

That pretty much sums it up. And did I read that correctly? They owe Bonilla 1M a yr until 2035? Ouch!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #526
Ramzavail
College Starter

what happens first :

Carlos Beltran comes back or Jerry Manuel gets fired?
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #527
JS19
College Prospect

I'm gonna go with Manuel getting shit-canned first, bc I don't think Beltran is coming back this season. Hopefully it's a Manuel/Minaya combo deal, but that's Wilpon's golden boy (Minaya), so that's not likely.

Watching the development of Ike Davis is the only way I can justify watching these bums.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #528
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure Manuel will get fired, but what, really, could he do better? He just doesn't have much to work with.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #529
JS19
College Prospect

Doubtful. I used to be a Minaya defender, but he just hasn't done anything to improve this club. Most teams will kill to have a core 3 of Wright, Reyes and Beltran... and he's done nothing, well, nothing that's worked, to build around these guys. It's not Manuel's fault, but he's attached to this whole losing way and they should probably get some fresh faces in there.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #530
Ramzavail
College Starter

I was really frustrated one night and I posted on my blog this:

But – why is the 3rd richest franchise in baseball (according to Forbes magazine) not filled with more depth? Why is the 6th starter on the 3rd richest franchise in baseball R.A. Dickey? or even Pat Misch? Why?

When will the Mets get to the point that their financial prowess matches the depth and status of the players on the 25/40 man roster?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #531
Logan
Head Coach

I think Minaya's gone first.

I also think we should delete this thread because it depresses me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #532
JS19
College Prospect

Perhaps I should post this in the MLB thread, but I'm a glutton for punishment and like coming back to this thread. Anyhow, here's my prediction... if the Mets are swept by the Yanks and look as disgusting as they did tonight throughout the series, Manuel is gone. If not Manuel, I can see them showing HoJo the door and using him as a scapegoat for their pathetic offense.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #533
Ramzavail
College Starter

I'm disgusted too.

Here's my theory about David Wright and what happened.

The Amazin' Mess » May 21st – The Situation
Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #534
Captain2711
High School JV

R.A. Dickey!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #535
Logan
Head Coach

He's been mighty fine.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #536
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Love me some dickey, now we need to go out and get Cliff Lee.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #537
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Love me some dickey

I KNEW IT!!!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #538
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not ashamed to admit it!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #539
Ramzavail
College Starter

5. Jerry Seinfeld’s lavish praise towards the guys in the booth, while warranted, felt a little awkward. I mean did we really need to feed Keith’s already ballooned out ego?

The Amazin' Mess » The quieter I’ve been, the better they’ve played
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #540
JS19
College Prospect

Haven't posted much here lately, thought maybe we can kick up a little conversation...

Not gonna lie, little disappointed about not getting Lee. I thought Minaya would step up and grab him, and obviously he would be a huge boost to the staff, but I think a move like that would motivate others and get them to raise their game (coughJasonBaycough).

Lilly seems to be the name being thrown around now. Would definitely welcome Lilly, but I'm a bit nervous, if this was to come to fruition, the Metsies might overpay quite a bit since it will be crunch time and the Cubs would have the Mets by the balls.

Speaking of Bay, any thoughts on his second half? I mean, he is on pace to have a productive season, but it's obvious that everyone expects more from him. Perhaps he's just adjusting to a new ballpark, a la Wright of '09. Call me an optimist for once, but I think the break will do Bay a great deal of good and will turn it around... kinda like when you have a shitty front 9, grab a burger and a beer around the turn and regroup, and kill the back 9.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #541
miked
College Starter

Wait...you thought Minaya had the stones and smarts to grab Lee? I can't remember the last great move Minaya made.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #542
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Haven't posted much here lately, thought maybe we can kick up a little conversation...

Not gonna lie, little disappointed about not getting Lee. I thought Minaya would step up and grab him, and obviously he would be a huge boost to the staff, but I think a move like that would motivate others and get them to raise their game (coughJasonBaycough).

Lilly seems to be the name being thrown around now. Would definitely welcome Lilly, but I'm a bit nervous, if this was to come to fruition, the Metsies might overpay quite a bit since it will be crunch time and the Cubs would have the Mets by the balls.

Speaking of Bay, any thoughts on his second half? I mean, he is on pace to have a productive season, but it's obvious that everyone expects more from him. Perhaps he's just adjusting to a new ballpark, a la Wright of '09. Call me an optimist for once, but I think the break will do Bay a great deal of good and will turn it around... kinda like when you have a shitty front 9, grab a burger and a beer around the turn and regroup, and kill the back 9.

When Montero and Smoak went on the table the Mets chances of landing Lee disappeared. The Mets simply don't have the players in the upper levels of the farm system to match guys like that. Minay could have gone Flores, Mejia, and FMart and I would have taken a deal with Smoak or Montero over it without much thought.

They have one of the stronger lower level farm systems in the majors right now, but those guys just don't carry a hell of a lot of value. Unless the Mets are looking for the final piece for a World Series push they need to let these guys actually get into AA and AAA.

Lilly would be a solid pickup and fortunately the Cubs shouldn't be in a position to get someone to overpay. Their window is closed, they have several overpaid guys on their roster that they need to dump, and they're going to want to get something for Lilly. I don't think Hendry will be too picky.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #543
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
When Montero and Smoak went on the table the Mets chances of landing Lee disappeared. The Mets simply don't have the players in the upper levels of the farm system to match guys like that. Minay could have gone Flores, Mejia, and FMart and I would have taken a deal with Smoak or Montero over it without much thought.

They have one of the stronger lower level farm systems in the majors right now, but those guys just don't carry a hell of a lot of value. Unless the Mets are looking for the final piece for a World Series push they need to let these guys actually get into AA and AAA.

Lilly would be a solid pickup and fortunately the Cubs shouldn't be in a position to get someone to overpay. Their window is closed, they have several overpaid guys on their roster that they need to dump, and they're going to want to get something for Lilly. I don't think Hendry will be too picky.

Yea, I figured as soon as other teams started throwing around legit prospects, the Mets wouldn't stand a chance... but I still held on to the hope that there was hope.

And good call with Lilly. After I posted that I realized that the Cubs are a mess, they probably aren't looking to fleece anyone, just get some new faces in town.

I think the Mets need the break to get here 3 days ago, as they haven't been playing all too well lately. IMO, Davis needs some time off greatly, hopefully Bay figures a thing or 2 out, and get Beltran back in the lineup.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #544
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I think the Mets need the break to get here 3 days ago, as they haven't been playing all too well lately. IMO, Davis needs some time off greatly, hopefully Bay figures a thing or 2 out, and get Beltran back in the lineup.

Yes...they look like a team waiting for the all star break right now. Davis is definitely in need of a break...he looks bad at the plate lately.

I think I agree with you on Bay's second half. He's been hitting the ball solid lately and I could see him hitting 15 or so in the second half and producing more runs overall. His final numbers wont be as good as you'd have hoped for coming in but if he has a great second half it will be a big boost to the lineup (that and getting Ike to stay more consistent with the bat).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #545
Logan
Head Coach

Not sure if any of you guys have seen this yet, but McFadden's at Citi has been running a deal for a bunch of games, where for $30 or $45 (depending on the day/opponent) you get a lower level ticket for the game, a one hour open bar before the game, a plate of wings for each person (not too good but could work in a pinch), and a ticket to come back after the game for another drink.

Went yesterday with a group of 8 and we had a great time. Tickets were solid down the LF line and the bar was busy but not too crowded, no problems taking full advantage of the open bar, probably knocked off 6 beers. Awesome deal for $30 a person.

McFadden's Saloon Merchandise for the remaining games. Looks like one Phillie game is $60 cause it had previously sold out.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #546
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow, great deal. Do you know if kids are allowed anywhere in there?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #547
JS19
College Prospect

That's pretty awesome. Great find, Logan.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #548
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Minaya and Manuel out.

Wonder if that paves the way for Torre
Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #549
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If true, I think the Mets front office needs to re-evaluate this decision. I think Omar has done a fantastic job and should be given an extension.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #550
General Mike
Pro Starter

Mets are f***ed until Freddy boy sells the team
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote