Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #501
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

How crazy if they go to overtime or the shootout.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #502
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wonder how much the Bills charged to rent the joint out for this game.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #503
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...7/hea_0513.htm
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #504
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
The Pens are just wearing these for this game. Those were their old jerseys and colors before they switched to the Black and Gold.
I don't understand NHL marketing. "This will probably be our most-watched game of the year, our one chance to really make an impression, and we have our marquee young player involved. Let's make sure he wears a uniform that's completely different from what he normally wears. We want to make sure that any potential new fan who watches today and happens on to another Penguins game some day has no idea it's the same team."
Old 01-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #505
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I never thought about it like that. I think they just forced Pittsburgh to wear those jerseys because Buffalo wanted to shed the Buffaslug uniforms for one game. Plus, it's an excuse to sell jerseys to hockey fans who are already watching it.

But you make sense from the casual fan perspective. But those casual fans can't watch anyone, unless they have Versus. I always forget to turn there, because it's in the 400s.

That jacket with the classic Sabres logos that the coach is wearing is slick.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-01-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #506
highfiveoh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Wisconsin and Ohio State played a game at Lambeau a year or two ago.
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #507
highfiveoh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I don't understand NHL marketing. "This will probably be our most-watched game of the year, our one chance to really make an impression, and we have our marquee young player involved. Let's make sure he wears a uniform that's completely different from what he normally wears. We want to make sure that any potential new fan who watches today and happens on to another Penguins game some day has no idea it's the same team."

Because fans better relate to jersey colors and not cities and nicknames?

Last edited by highfiveoh : 01-01-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #508
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfiveoh View Post
Wisconsin and Ohio State played a game at Lambeau a year or two ago.

Yeah, I saw that and thought it was pretty sweet. I just hadn't heard about the Fenway thing until I was googling some stuff.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #509
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Why even mention NHL and marketing in the same post?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #510
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

In their defense, the blue throwbacks actually have "Pittsburgh Penguins" on them. The actual ones don't say anything. So if Joanna CasualFan watches and wants to watch Sid The Kid play a lot because she thinks he's hot...they couldn't have made it any easier for her.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #511
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm going if they do this again next year. I suppose the Penguins would have to be playing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #512
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The storyline is that they'd do it every other year, if this is a success and this seems about as close to that as it could've been.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #513
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've never actually seen a shootout on TV. I hate the concept for the NHL, but for a game like this, I kinda think it would be neat to see it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-01-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #514
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shootout.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #515
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sid the Kid wins it. 2-1 in the shootout. Imagine that.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-01-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM   #516
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wooot!!!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #517
Booj
High School JV

I don't think the NHL would have dreamed up a better ending than Sidney Crosby scoring the winner in a shootout.

Crosby has a flair for scoring when the game is on his stick in a shootout, just like he did in his first NHL game against a Canadian team when he played Montreal his rookie year.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #518
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And the thing is, he totally knew he had it too. He's really fun to watch.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #519
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Note to Ryan Miller: Next time you're standing around during the interminable delay before a shootout, and a TV analyst asks you what your strategy is going to be, just say "I'll tell you after the game."
Old 01-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #520
highfiveoh
Banned

Now the real action begins. Seal and figure skating wrapped in one giant package!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #521
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
They could have Mike Emrick doing commentary on a constipated dog trying to lick himself, and I would watch it, and I would be riveted.

I love Mike Emrick.

He wears women's glasses.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #522
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I hate the shootout too...but damn if it doesn't help the Pens out! Letang might be more automatic than Crusher, and he was 8/13 last year. Letang is now 4/4 this season.

Not bad when you can hold back Malkin in case you need a 4th shooter.

I don't think the NHL thought they'd get the hardcore college football fans to switch over to this game. But "sports" fans in general, surfing channels, might have stopped for a minute and gotten hooked.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #523
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
He wears women's glasses.
And no man makes women's glasses sexier.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #524
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think Mike Milbury was one of the worst GMs in the history of the NHL, but I really liked his commentary between periods.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #525
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I think Mike Milbury was one of the worst GMs in the history of the NHL, but I really liked his commentary between periods.

Also, great reason for them to show the clip of him beating a fan with his own shoe. That alone is a good reason to have him do that games.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #526
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Also, great reason for them to show the clip of him beating a fan with his own shoe. That alone is a good reason to have him do that games.

The Avs color guy is Peter McNab, but they never, ever, ever show that clip.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #527
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Dear Scott Clemenson...

Nice work. Eight months too late, asswipe.

Signed,
Me
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #528
watravaler
High School JV

Another Blackhawk bites the dust...Jon Toews expected to miss 2-4 weeks with a knee sprain. This is probably the dagger to the gut for the Hawks '07-'08 season..

EDIT: Getting an MRI in LA, one could tell from the look on his face that the injury was fairly serious. The team promptly went down the tube once he left the game...19 and already the best player on the squad...

Last edited by watravaler : 01-02-2008 at 03:17 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 AM   #529
bhlloy
Coordinator

For those keeping score at home, Patrick O'Sullivan got kicked out of the Kings game last night for a McSorley/Simonesque tomahawk to the head in the last 3 minutes of a 9-2 game. Strangely though, not even a mention of this in the media report, no outraged blogs or articles by writers that wouldn't know a puck from their ass, and as of yet not a peep from Colon Campbell.

Just another day in the double standards league.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #530
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
For those keeping score at home, Patrick O'Sullivan got kicked out of the Kings game last night for a McSorley/Simonesque tomahawk to the head in the last 3 minutes of a 9-2 game. Strangely though, not even a mention of this in the media report, no outraged blogs or articles by writers that wouldn't know a puck from their ass, and as of yet not a peep from Colon Campbell.

Just another day in the double standards league.
Well, it was the Kings and Blackhawks. I would just assume that nobody watched the game, so nobody knows about it.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #531
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/7628212?MSNHPHMA

Quote:
The Penguins-Sabres game in snowy Buffalo — the first regular-season outdoor NHL game in the United States — drew a 2.6 overnight rating and a 5 share on NBC. Those were the best numbers since a six-game regional telecast on Fox drew a 3.0 overnight rating and a 7 share on Feb. 3, 1996.

Powder blue jerseys = ratings.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 AM   #532
Booj
High School JV

That's impressive, considering it went head-to-head with a pretty good Capital One Bowl. It helps that more people watch TV on New Year's Day than any other day of the year...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #533
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

For those in the States with the NHL Network, tomorrow at 130pm EST they are showing the World Juniors Semifinal game between the US and Canada. James vanRiemsdyk (Flyers first round pick) leads all scorers in the tournament with 4G and 6A.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #534
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
For those in the States with the NHL Network, tomorrow at 130pm EST they are showing the World Juniors Semifinal game between the US and Canada. James vanRiemsdyk (Flyers first round pick) leads all scorers in the tournament with 4G and 6A.

I remember when the Center Ice Package used to carry some of these games...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #535
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Wonder how much the Bills charged to rent the joint out for this game.

Actually, it's owned by the county, not the Bills.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #536
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Another Blackhawk bites the dust...Jon Toews expected to miss 2-4 weeks with a knee sprain. This is probably the dagger to the gut for the Hawks '07-'08 season..

EDIT: Getting an MRI in LA, one could tell from the look on his face that the injury was fairly serious. The team promptly went down the tube once he left the game...19 and already the best player on the squad...

pfft.

The Avs will be without Joe Sakic for most of the year and just lost Ryan Smyth for 8 weeks with a broken ankle. They also are missing Tyler Arnason (broken wrist) and Kurt Sauer (concussion). At other points in the season, they've been without the services of Milan Hejduk, Brad Richardson, Ian Laperriere and Jordan Leopold. They have just 3 forwards who have played every game.

They were doing ok with a AHL-heavy roster for a while, but have been slipping lately with 4 straight losses, mostly due to a pitiful PP. They probably would need to pull off a trade to patch bolster their special teams, but Francois Giguere doesn't seem like he's anxious to make any moves.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #537
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Just got back from the Pens-Leafs game...good amount of those Candanian hosers travelled to Pittsburgh, eh?

Pens win 6-2, Malkin's first career HT. And fantastic fight between Darcy Tucker and Jarkko Ruutu...good minute plus of both firing punches. And Pens score 3 in 48 seconds , 3 minutes into the 3rd period. Kennedy with a sweet backhand, Malkin on a nice setup from Crosby, and Sykora, before they could even announce Malkin's goal. Good stuff.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 01-04-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #538
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

From Deadspin:

Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #539
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Hurricanes put backup goalie John Graehme on waivers (now sent back to AHL Albany) and bring up Michael Leighton, who had done well at Albany. Leighton's first start came tonight in Atlanta. Got off to a very rough start, giving up two first-period goals, but then settled in a little and gave up just a second-period goal while the rest of the Canes (plus a sizeable chunk of the River Rats recently called up with all the injuries) rallied in front of him to win, 4-3. It was a much-needed win as the SE lead had shrunk to three points, but is now five as Carolina got three points out of the back-to-back games with Atlanta with the Thrashers only getting two.

Still, this team as it stands has fallen a good ways from their hot start and is only in contention in the East because the SE has been generally mediocre this year. They've been too up-and-down and haven't ripped off any good winning streaks in a long while, so I'm not really expecting much, maybe a division title and one round in the playoffs before being bumped by whoever wins the Atlantic Division in the second round.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #540
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
They've been too up-and-down and haven't ripped off any good winning streaks in a long while, so I'm not really expecting much, maybe a division title and one round in the playoffs before being bumped by whoever wins the Atlantic Division in the second round.

As a Jets fan years like that are what we fondly remember as 'the glory years'. God I loved that crappy team.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #541
Pyser
Pro Rookie

word in the devils locker room is hatcher BIT travis zajacs finger, through the glove, hard enough to require stitches

hatcher denies it, and says zajacs finger just ran along hathcers teeth and got cut

video replay shows zajac pull his hand away, and his glove stays...in hatchers mouth.

fucking flyers.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #542
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
word in the devils locker room is hatcher BIT travis zajacs finger, through the glove, hard enough to require stitches

hatcher denies it, and says zajacs finger just ran along hathcers teeth and got cut

video replay shows zajac pull his hand away, and his glove stays...in hatchers mouth.

fucking flyers.

Just reading about this. Do we know if Hatcher's had all his shots?
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #543
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If someone is face washing me and sticking his fingers in my mouth and pushing...I'm gonna bite him too.

Either way I hope Hatcher gets suspended. He serves the Flyers better on the bench.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #544
duff88
College Prospect

Not NHL, but since it's hockey...

What a Gold Medal game between Canada and Sweden! OT now, can you ask for more? Hopefully someone scores in the 20 minutes, it'd suck to see it end in shootouts.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #545
MikeVic
Head Coach

Whoo.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #546
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
Not NHL, but since it's hockey...

What a Gold Medal game between Canada and Sweden! OT now, can you ask for more? Hopefully someone scores in the 20 minutes, it'd suck to see it end in shootouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Whoo.

Great TV moment during the Pens-Panthers game.

Bob Errey, Pens color guy, sitting between the benches. Coming back from the 2nd intermission, they are showing the Canada winner in OT. Errey talking about the WJC's, Malkin at the end of the bench, leans in to look at the monitor (side note, Malkin recently just did his first interview, on his own, in English). After showing the clip, Malkin turns to Errey and says "Lucky."

Also of note from today's game...Pens have won 6 in a row, and 7 or 8. All 7 of those wins are Ty Freaking Conklin's! He is 7-0-0, including 2 shutouts (today and Buffalo on 12/29) in their last 4.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #547
duff88
College Prospect

Who would have thought Ty Conklin could be so dominant... TY CONKLIN! This is non-sense. Hell, I would have taken Dan Cloutier, Roman Cechmanek, Marc Denis and Jani Hurme on my team before Ty freaking Conklin.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #548
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
Who would have thought Ty Conklin could be so dominant... TY CONKLIN! This is non-sense. Hell, I would have taken Dan Cloutier, Roman Cechmanek, Marc Denis and Jani Hurme on my team before Ty freaking Conklin.

I am pretty sure we looked into all those guys before signing Conklin. He was in the AHL, until Fleury got hurt. And then the plan was only to Conklin play a handful...actually, less than that...of games, just to keep Sabourin from playing having to play back to backs. Sabourin actually was more consistent than Fleury at the beginning of the year. He was great on the west coast trip after Fleury was hurt in Calgary...and then fell apart. Enter Conklin. Interesting problem for Pittsburgh once Fleury returns (after the all-star break most likely). Carry 3 G's? Conklin is on a two-way deal, but he's proving, thus far, he should be here. Try and send Sabu down, and hope he clears waivers?

PS- You forgot Tommy Salo
Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #549
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Either way I hope Hatcher gets suspended. He serves the Flyers better on the bench.
Good call. He KO'ed Lupul tonight on a leaping hit at center ice.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-06-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #550
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
As a Jets fan years like that are what we fondly remember as 'the glory years'. God I loved that crappy team.

Heh. I guess that didn't come out right or something. After a poor year last season, it was great to see Carolina get out to such a good start, giving me some pretty high hopes. However, they've been more bad than good since then and I guess that decline was the source of my expectations being diminished to "just a division title and a second round exit". Didn't mean to make it sound so ho-hum-ish. I know I hate it when others think it's their God-given right to win something because it's the way it should be. Still, it is about where Carolina was expected to be based on what I saw in preseason pubs (SE winners, but Ottawa was East favorites).

At any rate, Leighton got a surprise back-to-back start against the Blues last night and seemed to play well, giving up just a goal midway through the first, but the offense was non-existent and got shut out, 1-0. Down the coaster again. Wheeee....
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote