Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #501
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hate seeing the Maloofs rewarded with an enormous selling price. I gotta think that if they can get the 500m, many other teams will look to sell.

Wonder if someone will buy a crappy market team like Milwaukee or Cleveland and look to move them somewhere. I wonder if Chicago could support another team.

There was some talk when New Orleans was under to move the Hornets to Chicago. Also, the Magic flirted with moving there at one point apparently.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #502
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Can Chicago support another team? It's hard to break into an already saturated market with an entrenched dominant team. The Mets have never drawn that well nor have the White Sox, despite their longevity.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #503
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Cleveland does well for its market size. The teams that should be moved or contracted are Atlanta and Charlotte.

That is kind of harsh to include Charlotte in that mix. The Hornets lead the league in attendance for the first seven seasons of their existence. George Shinn killed that support. Then, Michael Jordan has done nothing to bring the fans out for the Bobcats.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #504
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That and, well, have they had any winning seasons as the Bobcats?

SI

Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #505
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That and, well, have they had any winning seasons as the Bobcats?

SI

18-64, 26-56, 33-49, 32-50, 35-47, 44-38 (playoffs!), 34-48, 7-59 (!), currently 9-25.

So yeah.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #506
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The teams that should be moved or contracted are Atlanta and Charlotte.

Can we send the Hawks to Winnipeg?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #507
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Can we send the Hawks to Winnipeg?

Each city gets to do that only once per century. And you wasted yours

SI

Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Each city gets to do that only once per century. And you wasted yours

Don't blame the city with that one, it was the idiot ownership group to cut that deal (having never really wanted a hockey team in the first place)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #509
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I heard that the Maloof's wanted to sell the team, but want to maintain the controlling interest as well. Apparently this has been settled though, and the knuckleheads will be completely out in a sale.

Last edited by stevew : 01-11-2013 at 03:31 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #510
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'd think Milwaukee would be a candidate to be moved or contracted. Small market/shitty venue.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #511
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'd like to keep all the stuff I sell, too.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #512
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if the "Kings" name will have some value. For example, the "Brooklyn Kings" sounds so much better than the Nets.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #513
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Pondered what a move to Seattle may do for divisions in the West and the nearest guess I have is that Phoenix and (neo-)Seattle would flip divisions. That would keep all the remaining California teams and the renewed Pacific Northwest rivalry together. Phoenix loses out a bit by having fewer games with the California teams, but they would pick up some more meetings with Four Corners rivals in Utah and Denver and additional meetings with OKC to make up for it.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #514
MrBug708
Head Coach

Potential Kings buyer emerges, would keep team in Sacramento - CBSSports.com
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #515
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This Lakers collapse would be more hilarious if the Cavs didn't own the ability to swap Miami's pick for LAL's if the Lakers aren't in the lottery. So like, do work Kobe, but only enough to sneak into the playoffs.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #516
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I mean, there's too much talent there to not make the playoffs, right?

SI

Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #517
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I heard that the Maloof's wanted to sell the team, but want to maintain the controlling interest as well. Apparently this has been settled though, and the knuckleheads will be completely out in a sale.

How is that possible?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #518
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just sell 49% so we can have a couple hundred mill and our basketball team with decision-making power... duh!

Last edited by britrock88 : 01-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #519
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If somehow Sacramento completes the Hail Mary and keeps the team there, I feel like Stern and Company will expand to Seattle for sure. Though 31 teams would be awkward, when you have two dudes willing to pony up $500m, then you need to leverage that.

Too bad Kansas City doesn't have a local owner willing to bring a team to play at Sprint Center or you'd have #32 right there.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #520
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
How is that possible?

Probably wanted to create multiple levels of stock and keep a majority of the voting shares.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #521
stevew
Hall Of Famer

An odd number of NBA teams works just fine.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #522
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean, there's too much talent there to not make the playoffs, right?

SI

They're 15-21. They need to go roughly 31-15 to make the playoffs.

Last edited by stevew : 01-12-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #523
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Celtics with Avery Bradley - 6-1, 0 opponents with 100+ points.
Previous 10 games - 3-7, 7 opponents scored 100+.

We could still really use a 2nd big who can defend effectively, but Bradley's perimeter D really covers up Bass and Sullinger's weaknesses there.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #524
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
If somehow Sacramento completes the Hail Mary and keeps the team there, I feel like Stern and Company will expand to Seattle for sure. Though 31 teams would be awkward, when you have two dudes willing to pony up $500m, then you need to leverage that.

Too bad Kansas City doesn't have a local owner willing to bring a team to play at Sprint Center or you'd have #32 right there.

Name Kansas City the Kings also, like they used to be... then also name the new Seattle market team the Kings.

That'd be awesome.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #525
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

HOw about The "Not the Seahawks!"
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #526
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Clips somehow destroyed the Grizzlies in Memphis without Chris Paul and with Blake only scoring 10. And I mean destroyed, like a 24 point win or something.

The Grizz were missing Gay, but, jeez...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #527
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious to see tonight's game as the Rockets are on a 3 game road freefall after winning 5 in a row. Clips at home should be a nice test to see where they are at

SI

Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hawks played Chicago as though they've been contracted already. 5 pts in the 2nd quarter, just 20 points at the half, en route to a 97-58 loss.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #529
korme
Go Reds

Yep. Bulls set their franchise record for points allowed & Hawks set their Atlanta franchise low (St. Louis Hawks scored 57 once)
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #530
korme
Go Reds

Glad that was game of the night, NBAtv!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #531
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hawks lose #3 scorer Lou Williams for the season, ACL

Hawks' Lou Williams out for season (updated) | www.ajc.com
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #532
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should have drafted Chris Paul instead of Williams

[/avg hawks fan]
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #533
whomario
Pro Starter

Rockets loose their 7th in a row. The race for 7th/8th in the West is shaping up to be a ridiculous roller coaster. Portland on a 5 game loosing streak, Wolves just snapped a 5 game one. Lakers and Mavs still only 5 or so wins out of a playoff spot.

Timberwolves now have to start Stiemsma and Williams, have in their rotation Gelabale, Amundson and some random Center named Chris Johnson (who was key tonight though)
Rubio is sooo damn off with his shot, it´s ridiculous. Hasn´t made a 3 in 12 games and is shooting 22% from the field through 12 games
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #534
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Rockets loose their 7th in a row. The race for 7th/8th in the West is shaping up to be a ridiculous roller coaster. Portland on a 5 game loosing streak, Wolves just snapped a 5 game one. Lakers and Mavs still only 5 or so wins out of a playoff spot.

Timberwolves now have to start Stiemsma and Williams, have in their rotation Gelabale, Amundson and some random Center named Chris Johnson (who was key tonight though)
Rubio is sooo damn off with his shot, it´s ridiculous. Hasn´t made a 3 in 12 games and is shooting 22% from the field through 12 games

That Kobe, one hell of a leader. If the Lakers miss the playoffs I think they will pay Jackson 30M to come back next season.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #535
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sacramento Kings owners reach agreement with Seattle group to buy team, sources say - ESPN
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #536
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

If Hansen is really paying $525M for a 65% stake in the Kings - wow. That's just an unbelievable amount of money for a crap franchise. It's not my money, so I don't really care that much, except that if that dollar figure is correct, I guess I worry about this ownership group getting over-extended and if that would end up costing the city because the ownership group defaults on paying for the new arena.

Highly unlikely given that Ballmer is part of the ownership group, but man - that's just a ridiculous amount of inflation in the value of NBA franchises. This should be example #1,956,734 that fans should never, ever feel sorry for owners that claim they're "losing money" on their investment.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #537
Groundhog
Coordinator

The "good" news for the Kings franchise IMO is that, while the guys they have on the roster clearly don't work together, they do have some trade value. Cousins would be the first guy I look to move around draft time, and Jason Thompson is the kind of smart PF that could play and perform on any team in the league.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #538
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Really great news for us Supes fans. That roster is terribly constructed, holy crap. Basically need to reboot. I'm all about keeping Boogie Cousins around though as he is such a talent. Maybe Shawn Kemp can take him under his wing and help get his head on straight. Sure Kemp had his troubles but he has more than turned the corner with his life (years ago). Hopefully Evans/Thornton/Brooks/The Jimmer can all be moved...

Anyway, really great to actually start thinking about a roster again!

Also, this:

RT @wojyahoonba: The $525m price is a "valuation" on the total franchise. For 65 percent, Seattle group would pay approximately $340 million

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 01-20-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #539
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kevin Johnson should absolutely just let the team go away.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #540
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Free preview week on DTV.

Griz lose when Rudy Gay feels that 1.4 seconds is a lifetime, and gets the game winner off after the buzzer.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #541
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
If Hansen is really paying $525M for a 65% stake in the Kings - wow. That's just an unbelievable amount of money for a crap franchise. It's not my money, so I don't really care that much, except that if that dollar figure is correct, I guess I worry about this ownership group getting over-extended and if that would end up costing the city because the ownership group defaults on paying for the new arena.

Highly unlikely given that Ballmer is part of the ownership group, but man - that's just a ridiculous amount of inflation in the value of NBA franchises. This should be example #1,956,734 that fans should never, ever feel sorry for owners that claim they're "losing money" on their investment.

It's $340m, the $525 is the value of the franchise in total. Oh nevermind. Someone already said that.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-21-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #542
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Kevin Johnson should absolutely just let the team go away.

Well he played in the NBA, Sacramento's mayor doesn't have a whole lot of work to do other than be on a bully pulpit for the city (City Manager is the real day-to-day boss) and so I figure that with all of that free time, coupled with his NBA connections AND the fact that it's the only major league team in the city that's likely never to get another one...it's worth the hail marys to maybe get a guaranteed expansion club back there or to force the league's hand to give Seattle one.

Because the real issue is Team Maloof, after all.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #543
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Varejao out for the rest of the season with a blood clot. The Cavs played this situation about as poorly as possible.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #544
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

"". Yup - during the various lockouts (NFL and NBA), when people here were carping on the players, its worth reminding them what capital appreciation means.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #545
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I never have a problem with paying the stars of the league a ton, but the medium deals for tall/bench players were getting crazy. If they would just reform the rookie caps to pay the good young rookies more, I'd hope we'd end up with less 6 years of Rashard Lewis type deals. Kyrie Irving is getting paid less than Luke Walton this year, for example.

Last edited by stevew : 01-21-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #546
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Varejao out for the rest of the season with a blood clot. The Cavs played this situation about as poorly as possible.

I think that's a good thing. It means - more losses, more PT for Zeller, more rebounds and minutes for Tristan Thompson who, offense aside, is growing on me.

We end up with a good pick, grab (hopefully) either a good SF or an offensive-minded post player, and next season we're competing for a playoff spot with a maturing, young team.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #547
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they would just reform the rookie caps to pay the good young rookies more, I'd hope we'd end up with less 6 years of Rashard Lewis type deals. Kyrie Irving is getting paid less than Luke Walton this year, for example.

Define "good young rookies" in that model though ... that seems to be the tricky part here, doesn't it?

I mean, are you paying for:
a) pure performance?
b) potential?
c) enhanced value due to scarcity at position/playing style?

Here's the rookie scale fwiw ... I guess your issue here is that rookies who perform well are (relatively) underpaid in yrs 2/3/4, but what about the flip side of being stuck paying those who bust? Does your "pay the good young rookies more" model also include pay cuts for those who suck?

FTR, not busting on you, attempting to ask legitimate question(s).
Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #548
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You commit to a 2 year deal when you draft the guy, so if he really sucks you can bounce on that pretty fast. Like in Irving's case, there should clearly be crazy escalators built into his deal since he is one of the best 20 players in the league this year.

I'd like to see the 1-4 year old players get paid more based on performance and minutes. Perhaps scale plus 100% if a player is elite. As far as shitty rookies go, they are paid so little that it's basically 1/4th of league average pay(especially for those drafted outside the top 10)

Last edited by stevew : 01-21-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #549
miami_fan
Coordinator

Memphis Grizzlies, Cleveland Cavaliers agree to multiplayer trade, sources say - ESPN

Quote:
Memphis would send Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby to Cleveland for Jon Leuer to slice more than $6 million off their payroll and get under the luxury tax threshold.

The Cavs also get a future first round pick in the deal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #550
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cavs get Speights and Ellington and a first rounder from Memphis to help the Grizzlies get under the tax limit. No Rudy Gay trade this year it would seem.