Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #501
Danny
Head Coach

Overall, I would love a draft of Mcclain, Cambell/Saffold/Brown and then a Linvall Joseph/Cam Thomas/ Lamarr Houston in round 1-3.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #502
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, just listened to Cable interview Video Gallery

Looks like things may be really changing based on things he said. I really like the sound of him and the way he acknowledges past picks and his genuineness. I think it's just a matter of not having Davis get too involved which is unlikely, but we'll see.

I see why the players like Cable.

Last edited by Danny : 04-23-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #503
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
With 2 picks remaining:

Raiders Army 554
ShadowJack 517
QuikSand 496

Raiders Army has clinched first place. Congrats.

Thanks! I'm genuinely surprised.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #504
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Overall, I would love a draft of Mcclain, Cambell/Saffold/Brown and then a Linvall Joseph/Cam Thomas/ Lamarr Houston in round 1-3.

Saffold would be nice.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 AM   #505
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think the issue is teams having all night to sit around their boards and decide if they want to move up. Minnesota still may have gone Best, though unlikely, ya never know.

For basically swapping 4th's, I'll take it.

Swapping an early 4th for a late 4th on a team where a 4th round pick, imo isn't swapping 4th's. Overall I'm happy, I'm curious if they heard of someone else trying to trade up to get in front of them.

Last edited by Balldog : 04-23-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #506
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Wow, just listened to Cable interview Video Gallery

Looks like things may be really changing based on things he said. I really like the sound of him and the way he acknowledges past picks and his genuineness. I think it's just a matter of not having Davis get too involved which is unlikely, but we'll see.

I see why the players like Cable.

Good. If you didn't like Cable, he'd probably punch you in the face.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #507
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ummmm, what?

Sorry. Let's make-out.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #508
Thomkal
Head Coach

was really disappointed with ESPN's coverage of the draft last night (don't have NFL Network-thanks Time Warner!) Too many talking heads that had to get their air time-hardly no interviews with players drafted/GM's/coaches. Too much confusion even with a live ever changing show-not knowing Baltimore had traded the pick to Denver to get Tebow and going balistic over that-Mortensen not ready when they went to him for analysis, etc. And a very cranky Chris Berman, who seemed to have issues with his fellow broadcasters. And for god's sake stop showing the damn players on the phone about to get drafted! One of the biggest draws of the draft is not really knowing who your team is going to take until the Commish announces it, despite the so-called "experts" analysis.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #509
spleen1015
Coordinator

I didn't watch any of the ESPN coverage this year to compare, but NFL Network was showing the guys on the phone before they were picked. They usually did it about 2 minutes or so before the pick was announced. So, I don't think they were any better in that regard.

Deion was annoying by the end of the night because he asked the guys the same questions. Maybe there's not many questions to ask for this situation, but it got annoying.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #510
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I like McCourty; I'm going to withhold my opinion on actually taking him until I see what the Pats come away with tonight. If they get some help at OLB/DE in the 2nd, then the McCourty pick is absolutely fine by me.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #511
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i liked the nfln coverage. the fan reactions are great.

'with the tenth pick the jaguars select tyson alualu.'

jags fan in faded keenan mccardell jersey: 'what? who? wooooo. we're number 1!'
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #512
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I know they aren't listed among the "experts" but that's why I thought today's AP wire final mock draft was kind of interesting.

Players they had going in R1 who are undrafted at the moment & where they projected them
OT Bruce Campbell - Maryland (#8 to Oakland)
DE Sergio Kindle - Texas (#16 to Tennessee)
LB Brandon Gibson - Ohio State (#19 to Atlanta)
DE Ricky Sapp - Clemson (#22 to New England)
TE Rob Gronkowski - Arizona (#25 to Baltimore)
DT Brian Price - UCLA (#26 to Arizona)
S Taylor Mays - USC (#27 to Dallas)
QB Jimmy Claussen - ND (#30 to Minnesota)
G Jon Asamoah - Indiana (#31 to Indy)

Actual draftees they didn't have in R1 at all
DT Tyson Alualu - Cal (#10 to Jax)
T Anthony Davis - Rutgers (#11 to SF)
C Maurkice Pouncey - Florida (#18 to Pitt)
CB Kareem Jackson - Alabama (#20 to Houston)
TE Jermaine Gresham - Oklahoma (#21 to Cincy)
WR Dez Bryant - Ok State (#24 to Dallas)
QB Tim Tebow - Florida (#25 to Denver)
CB Devin McCourty - Rutgers (#27 to NE)
LB Jerry Hughes - TCU (#31 to Indy)

Just thought it was interesting to see how close or not close a non-expert selection would get.

Picking Osamoah over Pouncey, Gronkowski over Gresham and Gibson over Hughes are very strange choices for the AP.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #513
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rams have to be second-guessing their selection of Bradford at this point. They could have had Suh AND any other QB except Bradford. I think that would have been a much better option.

Glad to see Spoon drafted high by the Falcons. I was hoping he'd fall to a point where KC could scoop him up early in the 2nd round, but that was mostly wishful thinking. Falcons' fans are going to love him.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #514
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So yeah, uh, as a Seminole and Broncos fan, what happened last night is the equivalent of your best friend hiring Kathy Griffin to strip for you at your bachelor party.

Fuck Josh McDaniels. I've basically disagreed with every big decision he's made while trying to pprove that he's in charge of this team, but that just takes the cake. That's such a bad pick that even if it works, I'm not sure I want to root for him. Fuck ME!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #515
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Exactly. And Kindle can eat Brady. *sighs*

SOSH Poll

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 04-23-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #516
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Deion was annoying by the end of the night because he asked the guys the same questions. Maybe there's not many questions to ask for this situation, but it got annoying.

Speaking of Deion, saw a blog entry about how Eric Berry wanted nothing to do with Sanders at a recent charity event because Deion basically snubbed him for an autograph request a number of years ago & he's never forgotten it. Berry said that influenced how he tries to treat fans himself now “I just try to make sure that if someone comes up to me, whether it’s for an autograph or a handshake — because I’ve been shot down before like I told you — I don’t want nobody to feel like that.”

“That’s why I try to make sure I give back. To make sure that I treat them with respect. To make sure I remind myself that they are looking up to me and really want to meet me, so I’m going to treat them like they should be treated.”
Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #517
Celeval
Pro Starter

As a Browns fan, I'm not sold on Haden - he's been showing up in a lot of mocks for the Browns ever since the end of the season, so I'm ok with the overall value... just doesn't really get me excited, though. One of those drafts where I'd have much rather been one pick higher or eight picks later.

That said, I'm pretty happy with the way the second round shapes up. Scout.com has a 2nd/3rd round mock up at Scout.com: NFL Draft: Day Two Mock Draft - highlights are Clausen to Minnesota, Kindle to KC - but I'd be happy with Cleveland sitting where they are at #7 and getting a good, quality player. Don't think they have to move up to get one.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #518
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
As a Browns fan, I'm not sold on Haden - he's been showing up in a lot of mocks for the Browns ever since the end of the season, so I'm ok with the overall value... just doesn't really get me excited, though. One of those drafts where I'd have much rather been one pick higher or eight picks later.

That said, I'm pretty happy with the way the second round shapes up. Scout.com has a 2nd/3rd round mock up at Scout.com: NFL Draft: Day Two Mock Draft - highlights are Clausen to Minnesota, Kindle to KC - but I'd be happy with Cleveland sitting where they are at #7 and getting a good, quality player. Don't think they have to move up to get one.

I like Tate to Miami. More WRs is a good thing rather than just Marshall, although Camarillo and Bess showed flashes last season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #519
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would LOVE the Pats getting Gerhart in the third.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #520
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That said, I'm pretty happy with the way the second round shapes up. Scout.com has a 2nd/3rd round mock up at Scout.com: NFL Draft: Day Two Mock Draft - highlights are Clausen to Minnesota, Kindle to KC - but I'd be happy with Cleveland sitting where they are at #7 and getting a good, quality player.

Y'know the pick in that mock that made me go "I can really see that one being good"? TE Aaron Hernandez to the Patriots. The other one I thought "hmm, that would work pretty well" was RB Toby Gerhart, also to the freakin' Patriots.

As for Cleveland, you'd end up with pretty fair value out of Morgan Burnett in the 3rd round if they're right.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #521
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hate the Tony Pike pick, but the Houston and Jones would be great fits for the Bengals.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #522
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
did Sergio Kindle literally kill somebody today or something? what's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
People aren't convinced he can read game plans during night games, despite Bezos' assurances to the contrary.

How did this post get no love?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #523
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Don't have time to read the entire thread but I had it on NFLn most of the night, turned to ESPN every few minutes- and I must say Chris Berman is just a tool. He looked like an angry old ass-hat. One time he freaked out when the camera was on the crew like waving his arm.

Also- agree with the person above QUIT SHOWING THE PLAYERS ON THE PHONE! I like the commissioner to announce the surprise I don't want to know 2 minutes before and then have a cluster fuck while they get everything together then announce it.

And absolutely love the Saints pick of a CB- when our defense was horrible in the middle of the season it was because our top 2 guys were hurt. Have to add depth there.

Last edited by Doug5984 : 04-23-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #524
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's all about getting the answer first. FWIW Schefter was reporting on twitter the picks/trades two or three minutes before the TV.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #525
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sergio Kindle? Vladimir Ducasse? Was there a sudden surge in European names amongst African American kids 20-odd years ago?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #526
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's a possible reason Kindle fell out of the first round. TBH, this is the first I've heard of the potential issue:

What is the story surrounding the knee of Texas LB Sergio Kindle? - BostonHerald.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #527
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
It's all about getting the answer first. FWIW Schefter was reporting on twitter the picks/trades two or three minutes before the TV.

An easy answer here is for the NFL to get the teams to agree to not call the players/agents until after the commish reads the pick.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #528
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Speaking of Deion, saw a blog entry about how Eric Berry wanted nothing to do with Sanders at a recent charity event because Deion basically snubbed him for an autograph request a number of years ago & he's never forgotten it. Berry said that influenced how he tries to treat fans himself now “I just try to make sure that if someone comes up to me, whether it’s for an autograph or a handshake — because I’ve been shot down before like I told you — I don’t want nobody to feel like that.”

“That’s why I try to make sure I give back. To make sure that I treat them with respect. To make sure I remind myself that they are looking up to me and really want to meet me, so I’m going to treat them like they should be treated.”

KC fans love to hear that. After the Larry Johnson saga, it will be nice to have someone to root for again.

Quote:

That would be fantastic if KC could pick up Kindle. Those first two picks would shore up some of KC's defensive needs in a big hurry.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #529
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I wonder who is going to trade up for Colt McCoy & Claussen. I don't think Colt can play in Cleveland, he doesn't have the arm for the cold weather games... I wonder if he ends up in Carolina maybe.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #530
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was hoping the Colts would take Saffold. Would've been nice to see a Hoosier go an hour north to the Colts. Guess it can still happen...

Also, Clausen to the Raiders would be great, and support my Jerk Magnet theory nicely. Make it so!

Last edited by Kodos : 04-23-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #531
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I forgot to add that I love when the Steelers take a banal first rounder with 5 minutes left on the clock. And don't bother to trade down. Sometimes the front office pisses me off so much.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #532
MikeVic
Head Coach

I like the centre they got.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #533
Kodos
Resident Alien

You may have centres up there in the CFL, but in the NFL, we have centers, son.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #534
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You may have centres up there in the CFL, but in the NFL, we have centers, son.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #535
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So yeah, uh, as a Seminole and Broncos fan, what happened last night is the equivalent of your best friend hiring Kathy Griffin to strip for you at your bachelor party.

Fuck Josh McDaniels. I've basically disagreed with every big decision he's made while trying to pprove that he's in charge of this team, but that just takes the cake. That's such a bad pick that even if it works, I'm not sure I want to root for him. Fuck ME!

The Broncs should be good for a few good lols until he's canned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #536
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

ESPN's draft tracker had them up before they were announced on TV.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #537
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'd be so happy if the Pats got Touchdown Toby. And Hernandez (he was the Gators TE right?). Neither address defensive needs, but they both address offensive needs.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And Hernandez (he was the Gators TE right?).

Yep.

6'3, 255, 4.58 40 time, really a set of WR skills in a TE body
Old 04-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #539
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I loved when the Broncos used their 1st round pick on an unproven WR who reminds them of their franchise WR who they just traded away for 2- 2nd round picks. Why not just keep Marshall if thats the type of player you want- he already proved he was a great player, sure he had some off the field issues but he was a great player- pay him and hope he grows up.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #540
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds like Sergio Kindle may need microfracture surgery on his knee according to Schefter. It so, he is going to go no earlier then the 3rd.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #541
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sounds like Sergio Kindle may need microfracture surgery on his knee according to Schefter. It so, he is going to go no earlier then the 3rd.

Hmmmmm, I wonder who KC will select then.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #542
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would LOVE the Pats getting Gerhart in the third.

Sorry Broncos are taking him in the before you guys

Last edited by Galaril : 04-23-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #543
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Rams have to be second-guessing their selection of Bradford at this point. They could have had Suh AND any other QB except Bradford. I think that would have been a much better option.

Glad to see Spoon drafted high by the Falcons. I was hoping he'd fall to a point where KC could scoop him up early in the 2nd round, but that was mostly wishful thinking. Falcons' fans are going to love him.

That's easy to say now. I believe they got the best QB in the draft and although I wanted SUH, I'm fine with this pick. If McCoy and Clausen are so good, why are they still available at #2?

I hate to say it but WR Briscoe from Kansas would be a great pick up in round two.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #544
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That's easy to say now. I believe they got the best QB in the draft and although I wanted SUH, I'm fine with this pick. If McCoy and Clausen are so good, why are they still available at #2?

I hate to say it but WR Briscoe from Kansas would be a great pick up in round two.

I think they passed up a once a generation talent to get the 4th best QB in a draft with 2 starters.

McCoy being available at 33 will just be the salt rubbed into the wounds of Rams fans over how bad a pick that was.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #545
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Love the Packer pick of the tackle. One of the lesser reported bonuses of that pick is that GB's current OC (Philbin) worked for Ferrence at Iowa and uses a similar OL scheme. This means Bulaga can compete immediately at RT with Tauscher and eventually replace Clifton at LT (or slide there in week 3 when Chad gets one of his many injuries).

I'm don't have any biases regarding Denver, but I really don't have a problem with the Tebow pick. The cost was mitigated by them trading down and getting those picks. Plus, when was the last time a mentally strong QB drafted in the top round or two flamed out? It's always the Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell guys that seem to struggle - ie, guys with cannons for arms but struggle with mental ability/leadership. I'd rather have a tough, mentally strong leader with an average arm than a physical specimen who can't think to save his life. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Bernie Kozar,... None of these guys had great arms, but they all were mentally tough and good leaders. I think (in the mid 20s), it's not a bad idea to roll the dice on Tebow given when he could be given his makeup.

One other thing is that you can get immediate value from him in the first season or two. While Clausen or McCoy is holding a clipboard, Tebow can play in redzone/short yardage packages, run the wildcat and even play a little H-Back off the bat. If I were Denver, I'd feel a lot better about getting Tebow than Clausen at the spot - even though the pundits would be pulling a 180 on the pick had it been Jimmy.

Last edited by Arles : 04-23-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #546
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
when was the last time a mentally strong QB drafted in the top round or two flamed out? It's always the Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell guys that seem to struggle - ie, guys with cannons for arms but struggle with mental ability/leadership

What do you mean by mentally strong?

Its tough to find example of guys who fit any definition of mentally stong but did not have the top notch physical skills who flamed out after being drafted in the top round or two because guys without those physical skills do not get drafted in those rounds. Guys you are describing - mentally tough, but without the top-notch physical skills - actually fail to become legitimate NFL QBs far more often, but then again, they are drafted in the 7th round.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #547
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Tebow better be ready to take some hard hits. Can only imagine how much an LB will be salivating when they see Tebow running out on some bootleg/option play. See: White, Pat.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #548
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I think they passed up a once a generation talent to get the 4th best QB in a draft with 2 starters.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Although personally I've got Bradford 5th most likely to become even a serviceable regular NFL starter (Claussen, Tebow, McCoy, Pike, then Bradford) and only one of those do I think is a sure thing eventual starter (unsure is whether he'll be a better than average starter).
Old 04-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #549
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Tebow better be ready to take some hard hits. Can only imagine how much an LB will be salivating when they see Tebow running out on some bootleg/option play. See: White, Pat.

LOL, surely you didn't just compare Pat White to Tim Tebow in any way other than them having the same number of letters in their first & last names.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #550
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
LOL, surely you didn't just compare Pat White to Tim Tebow in any way other than them having the same number of letters in their first & last names.

I was referring to the vicious hit that White took last year and not making any talent comparisons.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote