Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #501
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think Theodore has the flu. Also doesn't help that Colorado is getting outplayed pretty badly.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #502
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

With Theodore sick and playing like he is and no Woloski, Forsberg, or Hannan, it can't be too surprising that the Wings won this home game as convincing as they did.

I would have to imagine Quenville goes with Budaj, who has looked pretty good, in Game 3.

That's the problem with Forsberg, his body is completely unreliable. So, it can be tough on a team when they expect him to be in the line-up and he just can't go.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #503
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Flyers up 2-0 again...can they hold the lead this time.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #504
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Great game by Biron tonight! Flyers even it up!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #505
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
With Theodore sick and playing like he is and no Woloski, Forsberg, or Hannan, it can't be too surprising that the Wings won this home game as convincing as they did.

I would have to imagine Quenville goes with Budaj, who has looked pretty good, in Game 3.

That's the problem with Forsberg, his body is completely unreliable. So, it can be tough on a team when they expect him to be in the line-up and he just can't go.

I don't think it has a lot to do with Theo. The Avalanche defense - our strong point all year - has really been put to the test by the Wings skill, quickness and depth. Any little mistake and the Wings have an instant scoring chance. The Wings are the better team and are playing like it.

I think Theo will get the start. Quenneville doesn't have a lot of faith in Budaj
Old 04-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #506
Logan
Head Coach

It would be swell if Crosby could learn how to not kick his feet out from under himself when a defender has perfect body position on him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #507
Logan
Head Coach

That ref should be fuckin fired. Way out of position to blow the whistle when the puck was nowhere close to being frozen as it trickled through Fleury's legs.

That said...it was completely embarrassing how poorly we move the puck out of the zone. There was a solid stretch from about 11 minutes left til 5 minutes left when they could not even get into the neutral zone.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #508
bhlloy
Coordinator

If he lost sight of the puck, he's just calling it as per the rulebook. It's a retarded rule, and it's been a problem all year, but it doesn't sound like the ref is at fault here.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #509
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It would be swell if Crosby could learn how to not kick his feet out from under himself when a defender has perfect body position on him.

You're preaching to the choir my friend.

My favorite lines in defense are...he gets pounded on all game so when he does fall it is alright because it makes up for calls that he doesn't get. Or the old...everyone embellishes.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #510
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
You're preaching to the choir my friend.

My favorite lines in defense are...he gets pounded on all game so when he does fall it is alright because it makes up for calls that he doesn't get. Or the old...everyone embellishes.

Anyone else catch the Hossa holding call on Drury in the 2nd period? Both are up against the glass, and Drury's head snaps back like a damn Pez dispenser. If that had been Crosby, Don Cherry would have shit his pants.

And yeah, he does embellish. I'll still stand by, if the refs made EVERY call, there'd be no need to embellish. And that goes for all players. For as many games as I've watched (88 to this point), and as many times I've seen him split the D and end up with two sticks on him, I've yet to see the refs hand go up until after he falls/dives/embellishes. Make the call as soon as those sticks-- or hell, one of them-- is across his hands/waist/chest, and no need to embellish. Until then, he's drawing calls the only we he can.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #511
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
If he lost sight of the puck, he's just calling it as per the rulebook. It's a retarded rule, and it's been a problem all year, but it doesn't sound like the ref is at fault here.

If he was behind the net like he should have been, he wouldn't have lost sight of the puck.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #512
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Suburban...I don't doubt that he takes a beating but it makes him look like a fool when he does stuff like that. That goes for everyone, my team included. Upshall got called for unsportsman-like/diving the other day. And he deserved it, because he head snapped back like he was shot and the guy hardly punched him in the face. Honestly I think the refs need to call that more and not where you put both in the box, put the diver in the box and that's all.

Also Jagr takes a beating too...people ride his back, but you don't see him pulling that crap.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #513
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
For as many games as I've watched (88 to this point), and as many times I've seen him split the D and end up with two sticks on him, I've yet to see the refs hand go up until after he falls/dives/embellishes. Make the call as soon as those sticks-- or hell, one of them-- is across his hands/waist/chest, and no need to embellish. Until then, he's drawing calls the only we he can.
Sorry, the "Crosby has to dive because he doesn't get the calls" defense is a crock.

Sidney Crosby draws more penalty calls than any other player in the NHL, and it's not even close. He draws almost one full penalty per game (edit to clarify: per 60 minutes of ice time) more than any other NHLer. We're supposed to think he can't get a call from the refs?

Now you'd expect that the elite players would draw more penalties, but the fact that guys like Ovechkin, Malkin and Iginla are way down the list (but Sen Avery is near the top) gives you an idea of what's going on here.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-27-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #514
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Suburban...I don't doubt that he takes a beating but it makes him look like a fool when he does stuff like that. That goes for everyone, my team included. Upshall got called for unsportsman-like/diving the other day. And he deserved it, because he head snapped back like he was shot and the guy hardly punched him in the face. Honestly I think the refs need to call that more and not where you put both in the box, put the diver in the box and that's all.

Also Jagr takes a beating too...people ride his back, but you don't see him pulling that crap.

But that's because even the refs don't like Jagr.

I am with you 100%, call the rules as written. You'll still see guys dive, but not nearly as much as now. As soon as the guy is even with the defensemen, and the stick is out or free hand out, penalty should be called. Want more scoring? There is the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Sorry, the "Crosby has to dive because he doesn't get the calls" defense is a crock.

Sidney Crosby draws more penalty calls than any other player in the NHL, and it's not even close. He draws almost one full penalty per game (edit to clarify: per 60 minutes of ice time) more than any other NHLer. We're supposed to think he can't get a call from the refs?

Now you'd expect that the elite players would draw more penalties, but the fact that guys like Ovechkin, Malkin and Iginla are way down the list (but Sen Avery is near the top) gives you an idea of what's going on here.

I know he far and away leads the league in calls drawn. But how many of those is he drawing because he "dives"? Your point is he shouldn't embellish because he's already getting a ton of calls, mine is he's got to embellish to get as many as he's getting. As I said in an earlier thread, I've seen him hooked 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 literally 100 times this year, and the calls he gets don't happen until he hits the ice the majority of the times.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #515
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

WTF Turco

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #516
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Welcome back Zubov.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #517
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Woot!!! Stars leave San Jose with a 2 game lead in the series. Gonna be hard for the Sharks to come back from that.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #518
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Sharks seem to have so much talent, but they can never seem to muster up the killer instinct when it counts.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #519
Vince
Pro Starter

Sigh.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #520
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I thought this was pretty cool...

http://www.tsn.ca/xbox/story/?id=233889
Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #521
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I don't think this is going to happen...

Quote:
(2) San Jose vs. (5) Dallas
San Jose flew out to a quick 3 – 0 series lead and looked to put away the Stars in a sweep, before the Stars were finally able to solve Nabokov. After two hard fought victories, the Stars were sent to the golf course at the end of game 6.
San Jose wins series 4-2
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #522
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought this was pretty cool...

http://www.tsn.ca/xbox/story/?id=233889

So you are saying the Pens will lose a game?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #523
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I was just surprised it predicted all the first round matchups correctly.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #524
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Flyers can never make it easy on me. Up 3-0 in the 3rd...give up 2 goals and hang on. Up 2-1 now!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #525
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That was the worst final minute I've ever seen. Montreal kept turning it over, then the Flyers would try to get it out and fail, then Montreal would turn it over again... a full minute inside the Flyers zone without anything resembling a scoring chance.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #526
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Carey Price looked...shaky today.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #527
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Carey Price looked...shaky today.
No big deal, the Habs are a smart organization and they always make good decisions. I'm sure they'll just go back to Huet next game.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #528
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No big deal, the Habs are a smart organization and they always make good decisions. I'm sure they'll just go back to Huet next game.

lol
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #529
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #530
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

lol, and I love the teaser at the end "Police say they will pull out of Detroit by 2012"
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #531
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It sounds like Forsberg and Hannan will play tonight, but apparently Ryan Smyth, who was the Avs best player in Game 1 for sure, is out.

I expect an impressive effort out of Colorado tonight. They are back home. They are pissed. And they have a bunch of proud, veteran players. If Forsberg can go and is effective, that could be quite the boost.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #532
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The NHL has some of the shittiest TV deals. I'm in Austin, and the game is blacked out down here. How the hell can you blackout a semi-final playoff game played in the same state???
Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #533
cartman
Death Herald

And the Stars win in OT, but I'm still not sure what happened. ESPN hasn't refreshed their page except to show that Dallas scored.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #534
Vince
Pro Starter

I didn't get to watch, I only got to hear it on the radio. And it was still pretty sketchy about what happened. Norstrom put it in off a rebound, I think.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #535
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't watch a ton of Western Conference hockey, but every time I see the Red Wings, I wonder how they ever lose a game. They look so good, and as a team, they look like they're always in control. It's like they don't do anything wrong. I really can't come up with enough words to describe how good that team looks. As a Devils fan, I'm really happy for Brian Rafalski. He's a great player, and he's contributing a lot to a great team.

Like I said, I don't watch Detroit much, so pardon my gushing. I'm just really in awe. Nobody in the East looks as fluid as this.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #536
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

I watched the overtime from Dallas. Norstrom scored a power play goal from around the high slot. It caromed off Roenick and past Nabokov. Nabokov didn't stand a chance on it. The play was set up because Grier was out of position and the Sharks had to scramble to get into place. By the time they got settled, Norstrom was already loading up the shot and the game was just about over.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #537
Vince
Pro Starter

How the Sharks have gone from the best Penalty Kill in the NHL to the Worst in NHL History in the course of two weeks is beyond me.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #538
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The NHL has some of the shittiest TV deals. I'm in Austin, and the game is blacked out down here. How the hell can you blackout a semi-final playoff game played in the same state???

Was that game supposed to be on Versus? One of the Flyers playoff games was blacked out on Versus for me, but it aired on the local sports network (Comcast CN8) which shows every Flyers game.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #539
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I don't watch a ton of Western Conference hockey, but every time I see the Red Wings, I wonder how they ever lose a game. They look so good, and as a team, they look like they're always in control. It's like they don't do anything wrong. I really can't come up with enough words to describe how good that team looks. As a Devils fan, I'm really happy for Brian Rafalski. He's a great player, and he's contributing a lot to a great team.

Like I said, I don't watch Detroit much, so pardon my gushing. I'm just really in awe. Nobody in the East looks as fluid as this.

Pumpy, I wish more Wings' fans saw the game like you and appreciated the Wings like you.

Another solid performance by the Wings tonight. Some great plays by Datsyk and Zetterberg. They are just so good both offensively and defensively.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:03 AM   #540
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, Wings are just too good for the Avs. Colorado had some spark, even while missing approximately 97 of their starters, but the Avs are just making too many mistakes. The Wings turn a non-play into a scoring chance so quickly it's scary.

And the way they controlled the puck at the end of the game while the Avs were trying to get Theo pulled was embarrassing.

Bad officiating in the game, but I don't think it matters at this point.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #541
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Hooray for competitive series.

Now I'm just hoping that

a) the Rangers don't get swept
b) someone destroys Hossa

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:37 AM   #542
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Hooray for competitive series.

Now I'm just hoping that

a) the Rangers don't get swept

go pens.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #543
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post

Why Hossa? I can think of about 6 other guys I'd think people would hate more than him.

The only thing that sucks about this streak is, MA Fleury is a RFA at the end of the year, and is earning himself a nice raise over his $1.6M this year.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #544
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

The only thing that sucks about this streak is, MA Fleury is a RFA at the end of the year, and is earning himself a nice raise over his $1.6M this year.

Plus next year will be the last year for Malkin and Staal's rookie contracts. I'm assuming that Malkin will want close to what Crosby is getting which might seal the deal for Staal's exit out of town.

MAF would probably get an offer close to $4 millions (just a guess) on the market and Malone is up for UFA. Fortunately the Pens are projected to be $30 million under the cap so they do have a little wiggle room.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #545
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Plus next year will be the last year for Malkin and Staal's rookie contracts. I'm assuming that Malkin will want close to what Crosby is getting which might seal the deal for Staal's exit out of town.

MAF would probably get an offer close to $4 millions (just a guess) on the market and Malone is up for UFA. Fortunately the Pens are projected to be $30 million under the cap so they do have a little wiggle room.

Right, Malkin will be priority number 1, so he never even sees RFA.

Staal will command more $$$, but nothing outrageous. Fleury will get locked up.

It will come down to how much of a hometown discount Malone will accept. And I say 80% chance Hossa is gone.

They free up a little money (Recchi and Roberts off the books), but not enough to keep Hossa. As well as he's playing now, I'd rather see them keep Malone (say $3M), Dupuis (also a UFA) at $2M and bring in another winger around $3M than just keeping Hossa at $8M.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #546
Logan
Head Coach

The Pens are the first team to start out 7-0 since the '94 Rangers. Ouch, talk about rubbing it in.

The Rangers are a talented team, but Pitt is exponentially moreso. Fleury has been solid and once again, stupid penalties (I'm looking at you, Ryan Hollweg, you sexual predator) are killing us. That boarding call probably could've been a double minor and the stupidity of it (offensive zone, after we rallied to tie it up and had all the momentum) was mindboggling.

This team is dying for a power play quarterback and it won't go any further until it adds one. It's sad that the only guy who can beat a forecheck (seriously you fuckers, it's 3 of you trying to get past one Penguin) is Gomez.

Oh, was anyone else watching the game on MSG instead of Versus? What the hell was Jon Bon Jovi doing broadcasting in between the benches?

Last edited by Logan : 04-30-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #547
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm a little worried that I've cursed the Rangers by adopting them as my team. It's like I've rubbed my Jets stink all over them
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #548
Logan
Head Coach

Screw you man!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #549
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Oh, was anyone else watching the game on MSG instead of Versus? What the hell was Jon Bon Jovi doing broadcasting in between the benches?
Are you serious? That's hilarious!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #550
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The only good thing about last night's game was that it was the last FSN Broadcast for the Pens this year. That means I don't have to listen to that jackass Paul Steigerwald anymore this year and possibly forever. His contract...as well as Mike Lange's (radio guy) is up at the end of this year. There is already petitions starting to bring Lange back to the TV side.

http://www.bringbackmike.com/