Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
With or without the Rozelle headband?

With. And mini-Ditka as RB.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #502
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Detroit signed Rick DeMulling to a 2 year contract Wednesday.

Link

If Victor Rogers or Kelly Bulter are really going to be starter at tackle along with Jeff Backus then Detroit should be about done in Free Agency.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #503
TLK
Pro Starter

The DeMulling deal made official and a Monday Night game (preseason)... It's a great time to be a Lions fan
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #504
Arles
Grey Dog Software

GB just had OG Robert Garza and LB Anthony Simmons in for a visit. According to a their agents, GB is tops on both players list and there's a good chance both will sign if given an offer by the Pack.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #505
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Definitely looking good for the Lions. It was a strong off-season. Kennedy, Pollard, Garcia, and DeMulling. All players the Lions targeted and got. If they can stay healthy this year, they could make some noise in the NFC Central.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #506
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Browns sign RFA RB Chester Taylor (Ravens) to a 1 year, $3 million offer sheet. The Ravens have a week to match or receive a 6th round pick.

The Seahawks sign RFA CB Kelly Herndon (Broncos) to a 5 year, $15 million offer sheet with a $4.5 million signing bonus, Denver has a week to match. They will not receive compensation as Herndon was an undrafted free agent.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #507
MikeVic
Head Coach

Judging by that Steelers news site someone posted, Law had another visit for a physical with the Steelers, and is not going to the Chiefs to visit. He also said there's a couple other stops, which could include: Browns, Jets, Raiders and Cowboys.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #508
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Why would Dallas sign another CB this offseason? Especially one that would ask for a lot of money like Law.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #509
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Why would Dallas sign another CB this offseason? Especially one that would ask for a lot of money like Law.

I don't know. I'm the messenger. I guess it doesn't make sense.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 PM   #510
MikeVic
Head Coach

You know... the Raiders doesn't make sense either. I thought they were at the cap? Browns and Jets are possible if their cap number allows it... same situation for Steelers I think too. They're close to the cap. If I were KC, I'd be worried about signing two defensive players coming off injuries to big contracts.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #511
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Definitely looking good for the Lions. It was a strong off-season. Kennedy, Pollard, Garcia, and DeMulling. All players the Lions targeted and got. If they can stay healthy this year, they could make some noise in the NFC Central.

Everyone in the NFC Central got better this off-season I'd say. Maybe not the Bears, but Minnesota, GB and Detroit all improved. Might be a leading division again.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:48 AM   #512
rkmsuf
Head Coach

How did GB get better?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #513
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Law has already been to Kansas City twice. In fact, Law was in town earlier this week (Monday) to speak with Dick Vermeil and and Gunther Cunningham. The Chiefs are going to wait on Law until he is closer to being healthy. While in KC, he was still wearing a boot on his injured foot.

As for the Chiefs, reports are coming out of Miami that they are getting closer to a deal with Miami for CB Patrick Surtain. The biggest obstacle will probably be negotiating a contract with Surtain. I believe the Chiefs would favor grabbing Law due to his SB experience and potentially cheaper contract with his injury situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Judging by that Steelers news site someone posted, Law had another visit for a physical with the Steelers, and is not going to the Chiefs to visit. He also said there's a couple other stops, which could include: Browns, Jets, Raiders and Cowboys.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 AM   #514
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
How did GB get better?

C'mon. They signed Akili Smith.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #515
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass

Oh yeah. Start planning the parade.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:14 AM   #516
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Oh yeah. Start planning the parade.

Actually, I like the fact that they let a lot of aging players go. I think they'll be more athletic and healthy without Wahle, Rivera, Sharper, etc. Good players, but not young.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 AM   #517
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

no, no, money is apparently not an issue to Law anymore... Yeah right...

FM
Old 03-17-2005, 09:58 AM   #518
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
How did GB get better?
They got rid of Sharper, Jue and Hawthorne. Even if they replaced these guys with street FAs, it will be an improvement. I think Sharper and Jue combined for 1,625,309 missed tackles and Hawthorne accounted for atleast 7,304 pass interferance calls.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #519
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Packers just signed OG Adrian Klemm from New England to a 2-year $2.6 million contract with a 800K SB. Klemm arrived in Green Bay Wednesday and by the end of the day chose the Packers over the Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens and Patriots. He had a foot injury last season but checked out OK. He's one of the more athletic guards in FA and should fit GB's system well. He will replace Wahle's LG spot.

GB also resigned TE David Martin to a 2-year deal. GB is expected to make a decision on a 2nd guard (either Garza or Matt O'Dwyer) and LB Anthony Simmons over the next few days.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #520
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
They got rid of Sharper, Jue and Hawthorne. Even if they replaced these guys with street FAs, it will be an improvement. I think Sharper and Jue combined for 1,625,309 missed tackles and Hawthorne accounted for atleast 7,304 pass interferance calls.

That sounds like a bug. Someone should email support at nfl.com and tell them their stats are comparing to FOF2k4!
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #521
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity
Law has already been to Kansas City twice. In fact, Law was in town earlier this week (Monday) to speak with Dick Vermeil and and Gunther Cunningham. The Chiefs are going to wait on Law until he is closer to being healthy. While in KC, he was still wearing a boot on his injured foot.

As for the Chiefs, reports are coming out of Miami that they are getting closer to a deal with Miami for CB Patrick Surtain. The biggest obstacle will probably be negotiating a contract with Surtain. I believe the Chiefs would favor grabbing Law due to his SB experience and potentially cheaper contract with his injury situation.

Law just seems like a health bomb waiting to go off.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #522
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steelers deemed Law unfit to play after his physical.

Klemm has family in the Pittsburgh area. It sounded like he was more interested in the Steelers than they were with him. It sounds like he was injured often during his stay with the Patsies.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #523
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Klemm is junk.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:18 PM   #524
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The injuries are a little worrisome, but the price was right (800K bonus). He's only 27 and has been good when healthy. Plus, the last three guards to play LG at Green Bay have made the Pro Bowl. As I have said before, the system makes average players very good at the guard spots.

As it stands now, I'll take Klemm at an 800K bonus over Rivera at $9 mil in a heartbeat.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #525
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
As it stands now, I'll take Klemm at an 800K bonus over Rivera at $9 mil in a heartbeat.

Seconded.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #526
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

No, that was Tampa.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:08 PM   #527
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Burress just signed a 6-year $25 million deal with the Giants ($5 mil bonus).
Old 03-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #528
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Yeah I just saw that. Craziness. Good deal for the Giants?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #529
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

For a guy who is on a 3 year decline in receptions and yards I think it is way too much. Maybe its worth overpaying to the Giants because they have no other recievers but I doubt it.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #530
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cowboys sign Emmitt Smith to a 1 year deal.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #531
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Not too bad. I think it's a fair assumption that he will play the first 2-3 seasons of the deal. In that time, he will be making a total of $14.6 million (counting bonus). So, if the Giants cut him after his second or third season, they will only have a $2-3 million hit. His second year cap number might be a little higher than most would like (~ $6 million). But, given the crazy money Chicago gave Muhammad, it's a pretty responsible contract.

Last edited by Arles : 03-17-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 PM   #532
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

I like it. 5M bonus is relatively low risk, and at this point Buress is a huge upgrade over Hilliard and a pretty decent upgrade over Toomer (who I still think can be a solid #2).
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:45 PM   #533
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looking at the Giants' offensive weapons vs the Steelers' offensive weapons, I don't see any reason to see much of an increase in Burress's numbers. I am a Burress fan and think he could do really well in the right offense (KC, STL?).

A couple of things to watch for. How will he handle being the "man?" Meaning, did having Hines Ward hurt or help him? I honestly do not know. I suspect, again, that he will put up similar numbers, within the range of his last 3 seasons.

Will Burress become a leader/hard-worker as "the man?" Unlike some, I think Burress was a pretty hard worker and a fairly positive guy for the Steelers. Will he step that up and fulfill all of that potential?

Should be an interesting arrangement.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:43 AM   #534
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I am not saying in other years that Buress is not worth it, BUT there is no market for him right now. I think they overpaid because of that. He wasn't going to get that (or close to it anywhere else). He is not that much of an upgrade over Hilliard. I've been wondering lately about some of the Giants' roster moves of late. Somewhat questionable. With Eli still learning, it will be another tough year for them.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #535
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
I am not saying in other years that Buress is not worth it, BUT there is no market for him right now. I think they overpaid because of that. He wasn't going to get that (or close to it anywhere else). He is not that much of an upgrade over Hilliard. I've been wondering lately about some of the Giants' roster moves of late. Somewhat questionable. With Eli still learning, it will be another tough year for them.

Ah, but they're also looking at David Terrell! He will be very helpful shouting encouragement from the bench.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #536
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, I like the fact that they let a lot of aging players go. I think they'll be more athletic and healthy without Wahle, Rivera, Sharper, etc. Good players, but not young.

I wonder if Sherman and the GB front office have come to the conclusion that they're unlikely to be a Super Bowl contender this year, and thus have focused on rebuilding. If so, that's a smart move. However, priority #1 needs to be to get a good prospect in at QB now so that he has time to develop before Favre retires. I thought drafting Losman last year would have made a lot of sense, but there you go....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #537
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I wonder if Sherman and the GB front office have come to the conclusion that they're unlikely to be a Super Bowl contender this year, and thus have focused on rebuilding. If so, that's a smart move. However, priority #1 needs to be to get a good prospect in at QB now so that he has time to develop before Favre retires. I thought drafting Losman last year would have made a lot of sense, but there you go....

I haven't figured them out either, but I tend not to bet against them. I have a friend who works in their organization who is more tight-lipped this year than ever before. I'm guessing they have very specific draft plans that include taking "surprise" players that they know will be available. I'm sure one pick will include a QB, but they do that often.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:42 AM   #538
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Burress to Giants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud

I think so.

1. With the $5 million bonus, it's not the end of the world if they have to trade/cut him down the road.

2. Toomer's pretty good when the entire secondary isn't focusing on him.

3. Presuming a lack of injuries, having Burress & Shockey as two big targets in the end zone should help Manning when his panics and chucks a jump ball.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #539
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
But, given the crazy money Chicago gave Muhammad, it's a pretty responsible contract.

Although Chicago paid Muhammad a lot, I think it's worth it for Chicago. Muhammad really shone last year, and that's impressive given he was Carolina's only consistent receiver and the running game had no stars (i.e. the secondaries of opposing teams could have, and should have, concentrated on him).

Signing him gives Chicago someone consistent for Grossman (or whomever) to throw to, and Muhammad matches up really well with the secondaries of the NFC North rivals (who are all basically short wimps).
Old 03-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #540
mhass
High School Varsity

The New Orleans Saints signed linebacker Levar Fisher to a one-year contract on Thursday.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #541
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I wonder if Sherman and the GB front office have come to the conclusion that they're unlikely to be a Super Bowl contender this year, and thus have focused on rebuilding.
I think it's more that they brought in Ted Thompson and removed Sherman. Sherman, as a coach and GM, liked to overpay to keep his players (look at KGB, Hunt, Ferguson, ...). Thompson is from the Ron Wolf school of thought that you don't overpay for certain positions (guard, safety, FB, LB) and let players go once they reach a certain age. Therefore, the team's thought process has shifted (for the better, IMO) since he came on.

In the past, Sherman would have overpaid to keep Wahle and Sharper (maybe even Rivera) and went into 2005 with the same crappy defense. Thompson has come in and replaced a guard getting a $12 million bonus (Wahle) with a similar (but not quite as good) player in Klemm making 800K in bonus. That means they team will have some money to improve on the defensive side and/or not be in the same cap hell come 2006.

Quote:
If so, that's a smart move. However, priority #1 needs to be to get a good prospect in at QB now so that he has time to develop before Favre retires. I thought drafting Losman last year would have made a lot of sense, but there you go....
Losman went before GB's pick. Plus, Favre will play atleast another 2 seasons. If they see a nice QB prospect in the mid-rounds, maybe they take a flier. But, I wouldn't take a QB now "expecting" Favre to retire. If they would have drafted a QB in 2004, they would have a big chunk of their cap in 2 QBs and not be able to make the team better for the next few seasons. When Favre retires, they can try one of the current guys (Nall, O'Sullivan), maybe bring in a Bledsoe/Garcia/Johnson type and draft a QB then. No need to try and fill holes that don't exist when you have swiss cheese for a defense.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:51 PM   #542
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Jets trade LB Sam Cowart to the Vikings for an undisclosed draft choice.

[update]It was for a 7th rounder.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-18-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #543
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Jets trade LB Sam Cowart to the Vikings for an undisclosed draft choice.
I guess the Vikes are moving the the vaunted 2-6-3 defense with all the LBs they have right now
Old 03-18-2005, 04:46 PM   #544
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess the Vikes are moving the the vaunted 2-6-3 defense with all the LBs they have right now

Ohhhhhh, Double nickel sighting?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #545
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Burress to Giants

I think so.

1. With the $5 million bonus, it's not the end of the world if they have to trade/cut him down the road.

2. Toomer's pretty good when the entire secondary isn't focusing on him.

3. Presuming a lack of injuries, having Burress & Shockey as two big targets in the end zone should help Manning when his panics and chucks a jump ball.

Burress isnt an endzone target tho. He may be the size of one, may look like he should be one, but in reality he is useless in the red zone. Burress sucks on the Jump Ball. Now maybe he will improve, but thats far from certain.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:51 PM   #546
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Hmm, I'm aware of two, possibly three decent linebackers on the Vikings now. If I start hearing more talk about the flocking 3-4 I'm going to go beserk.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #547
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Hmm, I'm aware of two, possibly three decent linebackers on the Vikings now. If I start hearing more talk about the flocking 3-4 I'm going to go beserk.

Not the 3/4 dude, they are gonna run the Double Nickel.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #548
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Well, as of right now, you have 3 middle LBs in Nap Harris, E.J. Henderson and Cowart. Unless you are planning on benching the star from the Moss trade or your 1st round pick from a few years back, I would assume Minny is playing atleast a 3-4.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #549
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Starters - Harris, Cowart, Thomas

Bench - Henderson

Edit: E.J. wasn't a 1st round pick BTW

Last edited by sovereignstar : 03-18-2005 at 05:15 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #550
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Starters - Harris, Cowart, Thomas

Bench - Henderson
Which of Cowart or Harris plays the outside? Both are much better on the inside. Cowart was a joke at OLB for the Jets in 03.

Quote:
Edit: E.J. wasn't a 1st round pick BTW
Correct, he was the 8th pick in the 2nd round.