Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #501
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't know how long they've been working on this game, but there just seems to be way too many options in this thing for them to get it right the first time. I would have preferred fewer intial, yet more streamlined, features.

I predict that the impressions thread will at first be all positive with lots of "wow, this feature is so cool" comments, followed a page later by "I really hate it how this feature doesn't do this correctly".
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #502
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
I don't know how long they've been working on this game, but there just seems to be way too many options in this thing for them to get it right the first time. I would have preferred fewer intial, yet more streamlined, features.

I predict that the impressions thread will at first be all positive with lots of "wow, this feature is so cool" comments, followed a page later by "I really hate it how this feature doesn't do this correctly".

You're probably right.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:50 AM   #503
Emiliano
College Prospect

New video up on IGN.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #504
SFL Cat
College Starter

It definitely looks like it's worth a try to me.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #505
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The next 5 head coaches are up. I would have had Bud Grant higher, but no big surprises in this group:

http://sports.ign.com/articles/711/711717p1.html
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #506
Flasch186
Coordinator

i am so amped for this, I havnt been this excited for a game since Civ 4. Spore will be the next to get amped for but man I cannot wait to play this!!!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #507
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm a sucker. I paid in full for a pre-order on this. The discouraging news is that the Gamestop manager said I was the first, and there almost no buzz for this game. It is going to be out a month before NCAA, and two before Madden so maybe that'll drive sales. Not having it for 360 is going to hurt, though.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #508
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I'm a sucker. I paid in full for a pre-order on this. The discouraging news is that the Gamestop manager said I was the first, and there almost no buzz for this game. It is going to be out a month before NCAA, and two before Madden so maybe that'll drive sales. Not having it for 360 is going to hurt, though.

I'm surprised that a Gamestop in GA only has 1 pre-order. The Gamestop in Baton Rouge told me they had 15 pre-orders before mine, and that was a few weeks ago.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #509
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm surprised that a Gamestop in GA only has 1 pre-order. The Gamestop in Baton Rouge told me they had 15 pre-orders before mine, and that was a few weeks ago.

Easy -- the Georgians are still so heartbroken over WVU killing their Bulldogs in the Sugar Bowl last year they have no taste for football anymore.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #510
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm fairly sure this is a new video that was posted yesterday on Gametrailers. This video with the music has me fired up. Interesting that they show Reggie Bush's ratings lower than Leinart's.

Link:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game
Old 06-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #511
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Wow, this is looking real good.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #512
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah this is making me hard! Got to get it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #513
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm fairly sure this is a new video that was posted yesterday on Gametrailers. This video with the music has me fired up. Interesting that they show Reggie Bush's ratings lower than Leinart's.

Link:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game

Why Eaglesfan27? Why did you post this link? I watched the video over 15 times already and kept pausing at different points just to drool over the monitor. Geez. This is the game I have been waiting for.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #514
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm going to try to preorder the PC version tomorrow, but with Cowher on the cover, there are probably 8 million preorders at every store in my area.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #515
Galaril
Pro Starter

What is the release date on this?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #516
WVUFAN
College Starter

June 20.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #517
Anguscl
n00b

Couple of more reviews

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...=6152579&q=&q=
http://xbox.gamedaily.com/game/preview/?gameid=4724

In the gamespot sim, some odd choices are still being made in the draft.
Anguscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #518
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguscl
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...=6152579&q=&q=
http://xbox.gamedaily.com/game/preview/?gameid=4724

In the gamespot sim, some odd choices are still being made in the draft.

Vince Young going to #25 to the Giants with Eli at QB?

Ummm. . . ouch.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #519
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

Ummm. . . ouch.

Does the fun not end in sports sims lately?

No way in hell I pre-order this game. Like ootp 2006 I'll wait for impressions.

Considering this game prides itself on the depth of the drafting module, this would kill the game for me.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #520
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

Ummm. . . ouch.

I hoping (perhaps stupidly) that this was an earlier version that was not release ready. Anyway, I'll be posting my own draft results on release day most likely.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #521
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hoping (perhaps stupidly) that this was an earlier version that was not release ready. Anyway, I'll be posting my own draft results on release day most likely.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of X-factor going on there? Is it possible that draft picks will vary with each career or has this already been verified?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #522
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister
Does anyone know if there is some sort of X-factor going on there? Is it possible that draft picks will vary with each career or has this already been verified?

It is possible that there is an X-factor. From reading on another board about that draft, you can see that Vince was rated at 63-83 (which is quite a bit lower than the top draft picks.) I don't have a huge problem with Vince sliding assuming there is an X-factor. However, unless Eli was traded in the offseason or was hurt, I'm worried about the Giants taking him. Hopefully, it will be tuned up a bit more than the version in that preview.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #523
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I'm going to try to preorder the PC version tomorrow, but with Cowher on the cover, there are probably 8 million preorders at every store in my area.

Given EA's past history, why would you pre-order ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #524
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
It is possible that there is an X-factor. From reading on another board about that draft, you can see that Vince was rated at 63-83 (which is quite a bit lower than the top draft picks.) I don't have a huge problem with Vince sliding assuming there is an X-factor. However, unless Eli was traded in the offseason or was hurt, I'm worried about the Giants taking him. Hopefully, it will be tuned up a bit more than the version in that preview.

Exactly. It's not that I'm bothered with Young slipping to 25. He could have easily been rated low. The Giants shouldn't be the ones picking him though. Still, I'm with you Eagles, I'm hoping it's not that screwed up.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:28 AM   #525
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Given EA's past history, why would you pre-order ?
Because this is a game I'm very interested in playing on release day.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #526
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Does the fun not end in sports sims lately?

No way in hell I pre-order this game. Like ootp 2006 I'll wait for impressions.

Considering this game prides itself on the depth of the drafting module, this would kill the game for me.

I understand the frustration here but it is not, in any way, a killer for me.
First, FOF can that to you as well...second, what "IF" the Giants feel like they have made a draft mistake and Vince Young is a "can't miss" prospect and decide to draft him ? so what ?

So, yes, this is "stange" and you don't want to see that happen every time. But, every once in a while, I can live with it.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #527
ice4277
Pro Rookie

The draft is one of those things that I am willing to cut more slack on in a video game. Weird, unexpected things happen all the time IRL. Hell, if you had shown me a picture of the draft in this game six months ago, with Mario Williams going first, I probably would have said it was stupid.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #528
Logan
Head Coach

^ Good point.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #529
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
The draft is one of those things that I am willing to cut more slack on in a video game. Weird, unexpected things happen all the time IRL. Hell, if you had shown me a picture of the draft in this game six months ago, with Mario Williams going first, I probably would have said it was stupid.

Maybe that's where the Texans got their inspiration
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #530
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277

This is one reason I play with strictly fictional players in all of my universes. (something not possible in this game, but I'll buy and play anyway)

I can live with a few strange moves. The problem with things like this is twofold:

1) EA's history. In last years Madden you still had things like a run of punters going in the second round. If they carried over some of that logic, it isn't good.

2) The fear that this isn't isolated. A goofy move here and there? Fine. I can even live with AJ being selected #1. No problemo. Yet that move could be a sign something is wrong. This is the NFL. You don't draft another QB when you are paying one a ridiculous amount of money. eli could be Ryan Leaf and the Giants would be giving him 16 starts this year. There is no possible reason for them to draft another QB in the first round. If this is just a strange move, I'm fine. If it's the nature of the AI, the draft has issues. . . and in this type of game, the draft is a huge part of the game.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #531
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Because this is a game I'm very interested in playing on release day.

Sorry, that came of "harsher" than I thought. I guess if I recall correctly, you haven't been too happy with EA's stuff in the past, and I figured at worst (since Cowher's mug is on it), it will be available in every Pittsburgh area store - ie, you could wait a day or two for initial reaction. C'est bien.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #532
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Kind of surprise people are pre ordering this game instead of waiting for initial reaction first after the game comes out.

With EA history, its probably better to be cautious.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #533
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Sorry, that came of "harsher" than I thought. I guess if I recall correctly, you haven't been too happy with EA's stuff in the past, and I figured at worst (since Cowher's mug is on it), it will be available in every Pittsburgh area store - ie, you could wait a day or two for initial reaction. C'est bien.
The only recent EA games that I've really been "happy" with are Madden 06 (XBox version) and the last two MVP Baseball games (2005 MLB, 2006 NCAA). NCAA Football 2004 was the last one that really "did it" for me, NHL 06 was a joke, and I haven't even played an NBA Live game in about 5 years.

Even with all that in mind, NFL Head Coach is something new, and I'd rather have EA behind a fairly innovative concept like this one instead of a smaller company. I felt the same way about Arena Football, which is a decent game, even though I'm not playing it right now.

I've probably been hard on the EA games (particularly NCAA Football) because it seems like they take backwards steps from where they were. To me, NCAA 2004 was almost perfect, and then 2005 went and ruined it. They still haven't gotten the gameplay back to the 2004 level for me. Madden was a disappointment until last year, and then things seemed to click again. With NFL Head Coach, I don't have a past game to compare it to, and while I don't expect it to be perfect, I think I'll be happy. I haven't looked at any of the videos, and I've only looked at about 3 screenshots of the game. So far, the only thing in this thread that's bothered me at all is the whole "cover 2" thing from a couple of pages back. The whole thing about the Giants drafting Vince Young in the first round really doesn't faze me, for various reasons. While that would certainly ruin the game for some people (which I can understand), it just doesn't concern me. If that ends up being the worst thing that happens in the game, I'll have fun anyway. I don't really have any reason not to pre-order.

Also, your question didn't come off harsh at all. My answer just came off a little snippy because I was trying to keep it short.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #534
FBPro
College Starter

I'd agree and say that football is really the only game that EA is doing a decent job with. If it bombs it should get atleast one patch (I'm getting the PC version).
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #535
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiller
I understand the frustration here but it is not, in any way, a killer for me.
First, FOF can that to you as well...second, what "IF" the Giants feel like they have made a draft mistake and Vince Young is a "can't miss" prospect and decide to draft him ? so what ?

So, yes, this is "stange" and you don't want to see that happen every time. But, every once in a while, I can live with it.

1st - I've lost interest time and time again in FOF due to issues such as this, but I still play multiplayer.

2nd - I don't think EA could make their game THAT deep first time around.

It just puzzles me, you're seeing this right off that bat. I do need to remember however, it's EA and most of the casual gamers wouldn't give to dumps about where draft picks go. Who knows, maybe I'm getting senile?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #536
muns
Pro Starter

I went out and Pre ordered. Pumpy I live in the Washington pa area, and there werent that many pre ordered, how about in greensburg, they even say?

1. The draft does seem a little bit messed up, but im willing to overlook it, especailly with the way the ratings are so varied in the screen shots.

2. Nice to see another football game in the market other than madden, and Ncaa. I ordered blitz the league and was pleasantly surprised. Hoping this does the same.

3. All the stuff I wish madden would do and follow through with, this seems to have. That alone is worth a shot in my book.

MUNS
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #537
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
It just puzzles me, you're seeing this right off that bat. I do need to remember however, it's EA and most of the casual gamers wouldn't give to dumps about where draft picks go. Who knows, maybe I'm getting senile?
Nah, you're not getting senile. Really, though, you just described me with regards to this game. I don't particularly care where the draft picks go. I understand that a lot of people do, but I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns
I went out and Pre ordered. Pumpy I live in the Washington pa area, and there werent that many pre ordered, how about in greensburg, they even say?
I didn't try this weekend. I'll probably do it on Tuesday. I'm sure they'll still be taking preorders, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of them sold already.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #538
FBPro
College Starter

Next time I go to Gamestop where I pre-ordered I'm gonna check and see how many they've taken orders for.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #539
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nah, you're not getting senile. Really, though, you just described me with regards to this game. I don't particularly care where the draft picks go. I understand that a lot of people do, but I don't.

I can thank FOFC for that, we analyze everything. I had so much fun with FPS and the High Heat series, it's just crazy how great those games were so long ago with fewer options than games of today.

Since getting back into ootp 6.5, I'm starting to overlook some things and having a better time with the game... go figure.

I can't wait to read your thoughts though Pumpy, even if goofy draft picks don't bother you.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #540
Hurst2112
College Starter

I hope somebody has the nay-nays to start a good dynasty post about this game.

I am going to be getting this when it hits the BB stores. I am not good with dynasty things but I will be intrigued to read somebody run the game through its courses.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #541
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I hope somebody has the nay-nays to start a good dynasty post about this game.

I am going to be getting this when it hits the BB stores. I am not good with dynasty things but I will be intrigued to read somebody run the game through its courses.

As long as it isn't too hard to minimize it and switch screens, I plan on doing a dynasty.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 AM   #542
Hurst2112
College Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
As long as it isn't too hard to minimize it and switch screens, I plan on doing a dynasty.

Cool.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #543
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Count me amongst the people who don't care so much about the draft. It's a weird thing anyhow, so to replicate it in the game is almost impossible. Who would've guessed that the Lions would take Charles Rodgers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams in three consecutive years with their 1st round draft picks?

In fact, "video game-wise" would it make any sense to take Deuce McAllister when you have Ricky Williams? Or take Reggie Bush when you still have Deuce McAllister?

I like the fact that teams' AI is not the same. There should be some teams that draft badly and teams that draft really well. There should also be some teams that draft for need rather than the best player...otherwise, every team is a cookie-cutter.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #544
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Jrob has the 3rd part of his Coach Diary up:

http://sports.ign.com/articles/712/712307p1.html

It worries me a bit that he held Plummer to such a poor game, but Plummer has been known to get rattled in real life, and he has built a monster defense for the Rams. However, his diary is making me wonder if interceptions might be a bit too high. Despite that, this feature is pumping me up even more for the game.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:00 AM   #545
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, wow, a ton of interceptions. I hope there are sliders in this so I can turn interceptions to "2" like I do in MAdden, though I doubt there will be.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:28 AM   #546
Hurst2112
College Starter

Shit,

Just finished the basement studio...ready to track. Got another mix session coming up(3 days), overdubs session (3 days) and then a basics (4 days).

I could play on laptop and still hit the record buttons on the 2 inch and/or pro tools. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #547
SegRat
High School Varsity

I dont think I have been this anxious for a game in a long time. The only problem is my girlfriend, who lives about an hour away, just informed me that she took time off work next week and will be spending "qaulity time" with me. Damn, need to figure out how to ditch her.

Last edited by SegRat : 06-13-2006 at 01:53 PM.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #548
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat
I dont think I have been this anxious for a game in a long time. The only problem is my girlfriend, who lives about an hour away, just informed me that she took time off work next week and will be spending "qaulity time" with me. Damn, need to figure out how to ditch her.

in my eyes, spending some long hours showing her how the nfl preseason works, from a coaches perspective, IS quality time!

that's probably why i am divorced and don't have a girl right now.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #549
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Jrob has the 3rd part of his Coach Diary up:

http://sports.ign.com/articles/712/712307p1.html

It worries me a bit that he held Plummer to such a poor game, but Plummer has been known to get rattled in real life, and he has built a monster defense for the Rams. However, his diary is making me wonder if interceptions might be a bit too high. Despite that, this feature is pumping me up even more for the game.

I'm a little more concerned about the Bucs and Packers putting up 52 and 45 points on the Ravens and Bears respectively.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #550
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
in my eyes, spending some long hours showing her how the nfl preseason works, from a coaches perspective, IS quality time!

that's probably why i am divorced and don't have a girl right now.

And possibly I might just be single by the end of next week