Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #501
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quick question. Just started to get into Oblivion. With tradition RPG games, you can somewhat tell the level of what you are fighting (since most just say - Level X). Is there any way to know before you attack something in Oblivion or is it just a matter of gaming experience knowing that at level 1 I can face a goblin but, face a bandit and I'll probably get killed...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #502
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Everything is actually scaled to your level. A feature that I fiound moderately annoying, truth be told.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #503
sabotai
General Manager

Same here. It kind of took me out of the game when everything is scaled to me. "Where did all of the wolves go?" It's just...anti-immersive to constantly repopulate areas with different mobs.

Maybe if they could have built a story around it. Like the land was getting overrun by forces of darkness, and it just kept getting worse as time went on (as you leveled), but...oh well.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #504
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I think the problem is (and I'm sure this has been touched on in this thread before), is the fact that if you're like me, you do all sorts of side quests / screw around before bothering with the majority of the main plot.

Inevitably, you gain levels. Trouble is, when the daemonic guys scale in level, it seems as if they also expect you to have better equipment than the junk you probably do have (which you of course, couldn't get until you DO go through the main quests). Start on the main quest at about level 6, and at normal difficulty, you're going to get utterly mauled with mediocre equipment.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #505
sabotai
General Manager

I don't even think I got to the main quest. I played the game for about 30-40 hours, got my money's worth out of it, but it was all side quests and general exploring.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #506
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Everything is actually scaled to your level. A feature that I fiound moderately annoying, truth be told.

That was the most annoying feature to me. I want the challenge of being weak at the start of the game and having to build up my character. This feature takes that away to a large extent. I don't mind upper end scaling where they make things harder to always provide more of a challenge at high levels, but I don't like scaling mobs down to the character's level.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #507
MikeVic
Head Coach

I know I read about a mod that removes that scaling.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #508
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Come to think of it.. I wonder if I installed one of those. I thought everything was scaled to your level but, sure didn't seem like that when I was playing. I have the OOO mod and Francescos Mods installed. I'll have to revisit those... Then I guess it is just a matter of knowing who you can take on and who you can't. Even bandits are beating the crap out of me right now.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 03-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #509
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, I think there's a few, but I never tried them and don't know how well they work.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #510
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Yeah, I posted it earlier in this thread:
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=496
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #511
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Yeah, I posted it earlier in this thread:
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=496

Yep, I did that mod...

No wonder my ass was getting kicked. Entirely different game with it.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #512
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I like the "mobs" being scaled over Gothic's approach of not letting you know until what you attack completely rips you apart.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #513
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My problem with the auto-levelling is you are turning into a high-level character able to take on some mean demons, yet have trouble getting to the next city because the bears are kicking your butt...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #514
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I am thinking to give Oblivion another shot, and read that Francesco's Mod is even better than the Oscuro mod.

Linkie: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co....Detail&id=268

The description on the link page explains it all, but basically it fixes all the things that people disliked with leveling creatures, treasure, armor, etc. Looks awesome.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #515
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just getting back into the game, having a blast just walking around checking things out. In my opinion it is close to one of the best "sandbox" RPG's out there, if not the best. This is coming from someone who has never been able to get into RPG's much except for the RPG-lite WoW and for Knights of the Old Republic for it's movie-esque approach.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #516
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Just getting back into the game, having a blast just walking around checking things out. In my opinion it is close to one of the best "sandbox" RPG's out there, if not the best. This is coming from someone who has never been able to get into RPG's much except for the RPG-lite WoW and for Knights of the Old Republic for it's movie-esque approach.

I've been tempted to get back into WoW with the new expansion out, but I'm know there is no way I can play WoW casually. It nearly ruined my life last time. I've got to stay far far away.

Instead, I'm going to upgrade my video card and go back to Oblivion (modded) and perhaps Morrowind as well. Even if I go nuts with those two games the total time spent will be a fraction of what it would be if I were to go back to WoW.

The first time I played Oblivion, the leveled monsters/loot took quite a bit of the fun out of the game as my character progressed through the mid-game. It sounds like the mods address this issue pretty well, so I'm excited to get back into it.

One big question, though, is whether to wait for the expansion! I think it's called Shivering Isles, and I believe it's due out this month. Normally I'd wait for its release before I started playing Oblivion again, but I have a feeling it's going to take the mods a long time to catch up.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #517
grisha
n00b

any movement on this?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #518
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisha View Post
any movement on this?

Any movement on what?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #519
grisha
n00b

The rediscovery of Oblivion.

I'm getting a new PC soon, and am thinking about getting it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #520
grisha
n00b

Specifically, I'm wondering about that mod GB posted a link to.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #521
KWhit
Coordinator

Haven't played around with any of the mods, but Oblivion is one of the best games I have ever played. If you enjoy RPGs, buy it.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #522
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I just restarted Oblivion with Francesco's mod. I've just picked my class and entering the sewers, so I don't think I've run into any of his modded bits just yet.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #523
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The boys and I have played Gothic 3 twice through and we're waiting for the expansion pack to play again. In the meantime, I picked this game up since we like exploring 3D worlds. We'll probably start playing soon so not wanting to read through all of this, anything major we need to know about?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #524
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The boys and I have played Gothic 3 twice through and we're waiting for the expansion pack to play again. In the meantime, I picked this game up since we like exploring 3D worlds. We'll probably start playing soon so not wanting to read through all of this, anything major we need to know about?

If you're playing the computer version, I'd seriously consider one of the level-scaling mods that help give the game a greater balance and longevity. I think Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is considered the best still (but you may want to do some research just incase). It adds alot, not just fixing the issue with monsters scaling directly to your level but fixing issues with items becoming too easy to get and many other things.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #525
Capital
High School Varsity

I just picked up this game on the PC version (can't decide between and Breton spellcaster or Dark Elf for both combat and spells). Of stupid question, but I have spent a while and can't figure it out.

I'm still in the sewer, I have a spell active and also a short sword. I have pressed the f key to activate the sword, but every time a left-click, I throw a fireball. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I would like to try combat to see if I like it and it seems that a Dark Elf might be fun playing both.

Can anyone help???
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #526
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You sound like exactly where I was at the weekend before last. Played about 7 hours that weekend before giving up because the game, I thought, was really stupid. The things that I didn't like included the stupid persuasion thing with NPC and again, a nearly empty land. I hated Morrowind because it was a very ugly, empty land but Oblivion is far better looking but still empty. The only places where there are things to do (re: kill) are in the tombs and caverns and most of them look exactly alike, not to mention that there were only 2-3 'creatures' in most of them. Is the engine incapable of populating a world with a bunch of stuff (ala Gothic) and are the designers so unimaginative that they had to make most of the tombs alike??

Anyway, so we tried it again this past weekend and got much further - only this time really concentrating on being a mage (as well as changing my race to High Elf) and doing the Mage Quests. The quests are insipidly easy - mainly go get something but nothing will ever stop you or make it hard to get that something. At least we got in a groove and will play it out, whatever the entails to become a really good made and finish the main quests.

To answer your question, look at your controls. The only way I throw a fireball is using one of the Ctrl keys that I mapped to (I forget what it was originally). To ready a sword, use the Space and swing away mashing the left button. I think F is to sheath the weapon, not activate it.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #527
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
I just picked up this game on the PC version (can't decide between and Breton spellcaster or Dark Elf for both combat and spells). Of stupid question, but I have spent a while and can't figure it out.

I'm still in the sewer, I have a spell active and also a short sword. I have pressed the f key to activate the sword, but every time a left-click, I throw a fireball. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I would like to try combat to see if I like it and it seems that a Dark Elf might be fun playing both.

Can anyone help???

It's been a LONG time since I played the game, but it sounds like you are "stuck" in magic-casting mode. Like Bucc said, check out the keymap. Maybe you are not really "activating" the sword with the F key. I can't remember how the controls went.

To be clear, you CAN see the sword on the screen when you are trying to use it, right? (If you can't, then the sword is sheathed). And you do have the weapon equipped, right?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #528
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I also find the HotKeys useful.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #529
Capital
High School Varsity

I can see the weapon on the screen in my left hand or I can see the bow if I equip it. Although I have not tried the space key. After playing WoW for so long, this game's interface doesn't seem anywhere near intuitive.

However, in a sick way, the sewer level was somewhat fun.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #530
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
I can see the weapon on the screen in my left hand or I can see the bow if I equip it. Although I have not tried the space key. After playing WoW for so long, this game's interface doesn't seem anywhere near intuitive.

I felt the same way when going from WoW to NWN2.

Not sure about your problem. My memory might be off (it is sometimes ), but I thought you couldn't use magic when you had your weapon out in Oblivian.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #531
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I felt the same way when going from WoW to NWN2.

Not sure about your problem. My memory might be off (it is sometimes ), but I thought you couldn't use magic when you had your weapon out in Oblivian.

I have NWN2 and put the game on the shelf after a short period of time. Maybe I'll dig it out again sometime.

Maybe I am in some "auto cast" mode but I can't figure out how to get out of. I have my sword drawn and as soon as I hit the left click, I throw a fireball. I have given up on playing the Dark Elf so I'm now playing a caster, but it is something that is just sticking in the back of my mind.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #532
Ironhead
College Prospect

Thinking about picking this up. Anyone who played thiis for Xbox 360 know if a patch ever came out that changed the scaled enemies? Not that it is a flaw, mind you. I just don't like the sound of it.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #533
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Thinking about picking this up. Anyone who played thiis for Xbox 360 know if a patch ever came out that changed the scaled enemies? Not that it is a flaw, mind you. I just don't like the sound of it.

I'm kinda thinking of getting this one too. Anyone know the answer to Ironhead's scaling question?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #534
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quick question. Big fan of Morrowind and Daggerfell. Likely looking to get back into a good RPG now that I have upgraded my computer again to new excellent levels. Is this a game you would recommend?
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #535
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I don't believe scaling was fixed on the 360, as I'm pretty sure it was working as they intended it to, they never said it was something that was broken. (I can't say for sure though).

As far as getting it for the PC, if you're into RPGs or open ended games I don't think you can go wrong with Oblivion, anything you don't like on the PC version you can pretty much fix and mod to your liking. The vanilla game is great on it's own, but there are also several mods to fix the scaling issues mentioned above too.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #536
Schmidty
Coordinator

This is hilarious:

I played Oblivion blacked-out drunk and here's what happened (via picture story) - Facepunch Studios
Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 AM   #537
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

LOL
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #538
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

WOW That is hilarious!
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #539
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
LOL

YOU'RE ALIVE!!! YAY!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #540
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

just noticed this is up on steam for 29.99. never picked it up when it came out.

is it pretty much a "must buy??"

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-11-2009 at 12:19 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #541
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
just noticed this is up on steam for 29.99. never picked it up when it came out.

absolutely
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #542
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

If you enjoyed Morrowind and Fallout 3 then you'll probably enjoy Oblivion. If you haven't played Morrowind then you should know that combat in the elder scrolls series is not very engaging. They have an insane amount of content. Easily over 100 hours of gameplay if you do everything. I've found the main storylines to be rather bland, but some of the sidequests in Oblivion more than make up for it.

It's not a game for everyone, but if you like open ended RPGs with huge worlds and you aren't too picky about your combat then it's a game worth grabbing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #543
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

combat isn't too engaging in what way?

i've never been a huge RPG guy honestly (played one one-time an had a good time, but it wasn't amazing or anything), but i'm entranced by the huge open world
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #544
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's definitely a must buy for the 360 so I have to think (absent anything I can recall reading to make me think differently) that it's a must for the PC as well.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #545
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

i've never been a huge RPG guy honestly (played one one-time an had a good time, but it wasn't amazing or anything), but i'm entranced by the huge open world

Melee combat is really just swing a sword or stab with a dagger. There really aren't any combos or anything fancy. Ranged combat is point at target and fire your arrow or cast your spell.

The huge open world is fantastic. There's some incredible questlines involving vampires and the thieves guild. The game is about as open ended as you can get. You're pretty much free to do anything you want from killing everyone in sight to simply doing sidequests and completely ignoring the main storyline.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #546
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that doesn't sound bad to me for combat honestly. means you don't have to be a joystick-jockey to succeed in combat.

i'll have to grab this then
Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #547
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's definitely a must buy for the 360 so I have to think (absent anything I can recall reading to make me think differently) that it's a must for the PC as well.

I love the 360 version as well, but I wish my archaic PC could run Oblivion effectively because there's so many free user-created mods and add-ons. It's definitely worth the risk of your gaming dollar IMO, even if you typically don't like RPGs, as if you DO end up enjoying it, it can give you hundreds of hours of playtime.

Quote:

It plays a lot differently than most RPGs, because of it's real-time first-person perspective, which offers a much more immediate and immersive experience than the typical RPG, but as noted this also takes it's toll on combat, which is more of a first-person slap-fest than the usual strategic RPG battles. Basically combat is just like melee combat in most first person shooters or stealth games, a little expanded, but still relatively uninspiring. You run up to someone and mash buttons until they're dead. That said, if you don't consider yourself an 'RPG guy', the lite combat and 1st person perspective might actually make it even more attractive to you. In Oblivion (and all of the Elder Scrolls games pretty much) the mechanics of combat plays second fiddle to creating as much of an immersive environment as possible. You can pick up every single plate, fork and knife in the world, let alone herbs, clothes, food, treasure and equipment. Everybody in the world has a voice (or at least damn close to it), a daily schedule, a home of some sort, and maybe even a job or a spouse...and usually a role in at least one quest. Beyond that, it actually does a pretty good job of satisfying even some of the hardcore RPG fans' typical wishes, with deep character creation and skill management, deep magic system, a pantheon of gods, tons of equipment, and the ability to create spells and artifacts of your own design.

If that even sounds semi-interesting, I'd say it was well worth the $30 risk.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #548
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

thanks sloppy - yeah that definately sounds interesting!

while the other RPG I played (can't remember the name for the life of me right now at work) had more of a "traditional" combat system and that was okay too, the "melee combat" style of this doesn't seem like it would bother me at all, and I'd be more excited to interact with the environment and such.

plus, on a PC it's been modded the hell up hmm? So I imagine that must be fun
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #549
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i didn't buy last night cuz of the time and the need to DL, but I will tonight!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #550
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

be aware that you can get the game itself for cheaper. GoGamer has it for $15 and I'm pretty sure I got it for even less during one of their 48-hour madness deals (I think I got the game and one expansion for under $20). The Steam version has the 2 expansions (and I think the horse armor), but you will get a LOT of gameplay out of just the main game if you'd rather just toe the water - you can always pick up the expansions later