Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #501
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I have seen some noise that Thompson is currently a bit overrated so this would be a decent way to cash in on that.

SI

He's become a very good perimeter defender and is one of the top 20 or so shooters in the NBA. And he's only 23. If he develops a move to the rim, he'd be a superstar. As is, he's pretty fantastic. He's not really a piece I think the Warriors should get rid of, especially since Steph and David Lee are pretty terrible defensively.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #502
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is this opinion based on his game or his off the court stuff? The reason for me asking is you are not the first person I have seen to express such an opinion and many have given his game as a reason for the criticism. The idea of people having such a low opinion of his game is shocking to me when I compare it what the opinion was a year or so ago.

I think the major complaint is that he still doesn't really have a low post game. And at this point it's pretty apparent that he's not going to work on one. So he's not getting any better, and he's getting older, and he's over 7 feet tall. Even as he is, he's a tremendous force...but to know he could (should?) dominate the game and he doesn't...that doesn't seem to bode well.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #503
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
He's become a very good perimeter defender and is one of the top 20 or so shooters in the NBA. And he's only 23. If he develops a move to the rim, he'd be a superstar. As is, he's pretty fantastic. He's not really a piece I think the Warriors should get rid of, especially since Steph and David Lee are pretty terrible defensively.

I'm not saying I agree with it. It's just some of the chatter I've read.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #504
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the major complaint is that he still doesn't really have a low post game. And at this point it's pretty apparent that he's not going to work on one. So he's not getting any better, and he's getting older, and he's over 7 feet tall. Even as he is, he's a tremendous force...but to know he could (should?) dominate the game and he doesn't...that doesn't seem to bode well.

Cool. I don't necessarily disagree with what you or sterlingice are saying. I would like to believe that after a full year, he will be able to do more physically. Also after seeing Lebron add pieces to his game, I am not willing to say Dwight won't get better. But you are right. Given where his game is right now, there is a risk. I just feel that his game has not changed much from last year and yet then he was seen as the next great Laker center and the face of the franchise moving forward.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #505
korme
Go Reds

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 2h
My bet on a Dwight outcome: LA sign-and-trades Howard + Artest to GSW for the Bogut/Biedrins expirings + Klay Thompson + future 1st.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 2h
PS: Don't be surprised if Nash (expiring in 2015) ends up in a GSW/Howard sign-and-trade, would give Lakers even more 2014 cap space.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #506
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
As a Lakers fan, I'd almost think we'd be better off doing a sign an trade for either Bogut and Barnes or Asik and Lin from a 2013/2014 team success standpoint.

No, you wouldn't. Right now, if you don't keep D12, you want cap space for next year. Lin and Asik will lock in those cap dollars well past 2014 for two flawed players.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #507
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I think if it costs either Barnes or Thompson, Howard is a terrible idea.

This.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #508
miami_fan
Coordinator

With all the focus on next year, I am beginning to wonder. Which team is going to be the 2013 New York Knicks. You know the team that clear all the cap space to get Lebron, realizes they are not getting one of the big free agents and then end up overpaying for the 2013 Amare.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #509
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm really curious who will be the 2014 Amare. That's a much more entertaining question.

Trevor Ariza signs with Minnesota for 4/$60M!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #510
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Warriors trade Biedrins, Jefferson To Jazz - no word on what the cost was to shed those salaries. Golden State turns around and signs Iggy for 4/$48M. With or without D12, that team got a whole lot stronger all of a sudden.

SI

Old 07-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #511
RedKingGold
College Starter

Iggy's a great signing for the Warriors. That's going to be a hella fun team to watch next year.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #512
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm really curious who will be the 2014 Amare. That's a much more entertaining question.

Trevor Ariza signs with Minnesota for 4/$60M!

SI

Yours is a much better question
Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #513
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Wow. Amazing to me that the Warriors front office has changed to a group I can trust.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #514
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

USA Today's Sam Amick reporting D12 to Houston
Dwight Howard will join Houston Rockets

SI

Old 07-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #515
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And, because I'm not allowed to have nice things,

Woj: Dwight Howard's agent, Dan Fegan tells Y! Sports: "Dwight has not finalized his decision."

SI

Old 07-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #516
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Can we all agree no matter what that it will be good to see the Lakers suck next year?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #517
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

Woj: Dwight Howard's agent, Dan Fegan tells Y! Sports: "Dwight has not finalized his decision."

SI
Dallas pulled out
Atlanta hasn't contacted him (or vice versa)
Golden State is essentially out because they just traded its expiring contracts to Utah
The Lakers meeting did not go well and the team doesn't fit his style..

So, the decision is between Houston and ?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #518
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is this opinion based on his game or his off the court stuff? The reason for me asking is you are not the first person I have seen to express such an opinion and many have given his game as a reason for the criticism. The idea of people having such a low opinion of his game is shocking to me when I compare it what the opinion was a year or so ago.

His mental makeup. He has the physical skills, but I'm doubtful I want him to be the franchise guy, and it appears he doesn't want to be it either.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #519
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA 3m Dwight Howard and his representatives still need to go through details of a proposed contract with the Rockets, sources tell Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA 7m USA Today first reported that Dwight Howard will sign with the Rockets.

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA 8m
Nevertheless, multiple sources tell Y! Sports Howard has chosen the Rockets but is still finalizing details of agreement.

Ok, so this looks like it's pretty much a done deal. Woj was just a little annoyed that someone scooped him, it looks like.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #520
nol
Banned

Glad it's finally over. This move opens the floodgates for a lot of transactions across the league. Already hearing Asik may want out of Houston. The Hawks may try to get him in a sign-and-trade for Josh Smith.

Last edited by nol : 07-05-2013 at 05:54 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #521
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oof, if the reports are true, this is the Utah/Golden State trade that cleared the cap room to get Iguodala:

Utah Receives:
2014 1st Round Pick
2017 1st Round Pick
Andris Biedrins
Richard Jefferson
Brandon Rush

Golden State receives:
Kevin Murphy (2nd round pick out of Tennessee Tech in 2012)

That's an awful lot to pay just to get rid of two expiring contracts.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #522
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Can we all agree no matter what that it will be good to see the Lakers suck next year?

i dont know if this will get houston a championship, but fucking over the Lakers or NY is always a good feeling
Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #523
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Wiggins would look good as a Laker
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #524
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

SI
Welcome to Dwight's world. It really has to due with Dwight wanting to announce his decision on twitter.

Great start for Howard! Small mind, small market shine!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #525
MrBug708
Head Coach

The path for the Lakers is clear next year. They are not better without Dwight, but he wasn't leading us anywhere soon.

Trade Pau, annesty Metta, sit Kobe out for the year (Fat chance), cut Nash, and basically take 2014 off. Lebron in LA will look pretty nice with Wiggins and Kobe
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #526
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The bigger issue is long term. They essentially have nobody to build around unless I'm missing somebody.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #527
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The bigger issue is long term. They essentially have nobody to build around unless I'm missing somebody.

They should have two max contract spots available for 2014.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #528
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Rob Hennigan is looking really good right now as part of that 4 team deal. Can we redo that GM of the year thing?

Denver has lost Iggy
Lakers has lost Howard
76ers has probably lost Bynum playing 0 mins
Magic have Affallo, Haklesss, Vucevic, Denver's lower 2014 1st(so the Knicks or Nuggets), a future 76ers 1st, a future Lakers 1st, a future Lakers 2nd...

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 07-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #529
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Amusing that the 6ers gave up ANYTHING to have Bynum play 0 minutes for them.

That's a fucking mega-horrible trade in hindsight, eh?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #530
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Oof, if the reports are true, this is the Utah/Golden State trade that cleared the cap room to get Iguodala:

Utah Receives:
2014 1st Round Pick
2017 1st Round Pick
Andris Biedrins
Richard Jefferson
Brandon Rush

Golden State receives:

That's an awful lot to pay just to get rid of two expiring contracts.
Actually the deal is:
Utah Receives:
2014 1st Round Pick
2017 1st Round Pick
Andris Biedrins
Richard Jefferson
Brandon Rush

Golden State receives:
Ability to sign Andre Iguodala
Avoid paying $40+ mil in Luxury tax
Avoid potentially being a tax repeater team next offseason

Those bottom two are certainly worth a pick in the late teens and one probably in the 20s. Add in Iggy and it's not awful. Heck, a few seasons back the Suns paid two first round picks to shed Kurt Thomas' $9 mil contract. Shedding $24+ million for two mid to late picks seems pretty fair for GS.

Last edited by Arles : 07-05-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #531
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

So how long until Aisk and Lin get traded to Atlanta for Josh Smith? 30 mins?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #532
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Actually the deal is:
Utah Receives:
2014 1st Round Pick
2017 1st Round Pick
Andris Biedrins
Richard Jefferson
Brandon Rush

Golden State receives:

Those bottom two are certainly worth a pick in the late teens and one probably in the 20s. Add in Iggy and it's not awful. Heck, a few seasons back the Suns paid two first round picks to shed Kurt Thomas' $9 mil contract. Shedding $24+ million for two mid to late picks seems pretty fair for GS.

Was going to make this post but Arles made it for me. Tho, again, not in a vacuum and consider opportunity cost. There are other deals they could have made but not getting Howard, Iggy is a good fit for them.

SI

Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #533
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually the deal is:
Utah Receives:
2014 1st Round Pick
2017 1st Round Pick
Andris Biedrins
Richard Jefferson
Brandon Rush

Golden State receives:

True, and I'm still happy with the outcome. I think I'm most sad to see Rush go. He was a nice player to have around. But basically you're trading Rush and two 1sts for Iggy (in terms of on-the-court impact), and that's not a bad thing at all.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #534
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Atlanta hasn't contacted him (or vice versa)

Atlanta was either the first or second team (I don't recall which) to meet with Howard. It was before he talked to the Lakers.

Not that anything was going to come of that, but they did meet with him.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-05-2013 at 07:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #535
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
So how long until Aisk and Lin get traded to Atlanta for Josh Smith? 30 mins?

Hmm ... how about just Asik for Smith straight up?

Would be nice to have an actual big man for a change, and most importantly it rids Atlanta of Smith's "jump shot" (and I use the term loosely).
Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #536
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hmm ... how about just Asik for Smith straight up?

Would be nice to have an actual big man for a change, and most importantly it rids Atlanta of Smith's "jump shot" (and I use the term loosely).

I don't think that works under cap figured, I think a pick has to go with Asik or Lin (backloaded contract).

If Morey can pull off trading Asik and Lin in separate deals then he has played the past two off seasons perfectly.

Did Orlando use their trade exception for the Howard deal yet? That's got to be 17 million and coming up in a few months. Wonder if they will hit up Miami and use it to acquire some overpriced 4 like Bosh for a pick since they have a ton of them and Miami has none.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #537
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think that works under cap figured, I think a pick has to go with Asik or Lin (backloaded contract).

Not sure I like that one very well.

I mean, getting rid of Smith has a lot of value, but that's asking a lot. Hmm ... maybe they could flip him somewhere for a couple of players. I mean, Atlanta only has 3 under contract at the moment (4 if you count the comical D-League scrub they in the draft day deals), plus the two picks. Multiple bodies would have more value than Lin for the Hawks I'd think.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #538
Izulde
Head Coach

Howard changed his mind and is now 50-50.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #539
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
They should have two max contract spots available for 2014.

Which is still a gamble.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #540
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Howard changed his mind and is now 50-50.

Howard causing issues already? Didn't see that coming.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #541
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't think so. Of course, I've seen it twice in my lifetime where the Lakers have missed the postseason, so I've come to expect things to break our way
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #542
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Amusing that the 6ers gave up ANYTHING to have Bynum play 0 minutes for them.

That's a fucking mega-horrible trade in hindsight, eh?

As Sixers trades go historically, that's not so bad.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #543
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

geez what a drama queen. i cant decide if i want him in Houston or to keep his whinny little ass in Lala land
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #544
hoopsguy
General Manager

Crap like this is why people have grown to despise Dwight Howard over the past few seasons. Or jump to the conclusion that he is a mental midget. Or both.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #545
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I would assume it's a sign and trade ploy by Dwight hoping the Lakers will give him the extra 30 million.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #546
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

how often is it you hope a franchise player doesnt pick your team during FA?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #547
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would assume it's a sign and trade ploy by Dwight hoping the Lakers will give him the extra 30 million.

I thought there was some clause/rule (mentioned earlier here?) that said he couldn't get the extra year/cash if he was traded?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #548
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Howard causing issues already? Didn't see that coming.

*sigh* On the one hand, how predictably frustrating.

On the other hand, Howard never said he had picked anywhere and this was a lot of media- fairly credible ones by NBA standards- running with it. So I have this slight bit of sympathy for him but not really.

SI

Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #549
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

Doesn't work that way under the new CBA. He's either on the Lakers for 5 years or anyone else for 4. There's not much motivation to do a S&T like this.

SI

Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #550
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, LA's not playing that game:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m
Los Angeles issued a statement saying that Howard informed Kupchak of his decision "to not return to the Lakers."