Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #5401
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Agree with all of this. I was excited about adding Texas and Oklahoma, but not if Texas was going to still want special deals. Glad the Pac-12 refused to give them any special concessions.
While I agree - there's no way I wanted to add any teams that wanted special concessions - there may be reasons to regret not inviting the Oklahoma schools, as outlined by Wilner:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/09/21/did-the-pac-12-risk-its-future-by-not-expanding/
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #5402
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
While I agree - there's no way I wanted to add any teams that wanted special concessions - there may be reasons to regret not inviting the Oklahoma schools, as outlined by Wilner:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2011/09/21/did-the-pac-12-risk-its-future-by-not-expanding/

Not only that, but if you pull OU/OSU, it's pretty clear that UT may be out of options to the point where you would get the concessions that were held back in previous negotiations and still get UT.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #5403
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm telling you, I don't know what reality will dictate, but if the ACC's response isn't a mirror image of the Pac-12 response to Texas, then I hope FSU contacts the SEC before Swofford even gets to a vote on it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #5404
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dodd article on what we might see going forward........

Sports - CBSSports.com Sports News, Fantasy Scores, Sports Video

Rumor here in Missouri is that politicians, including the governor are pushing hard to get Mizzou to accept the SEC invite. The BOC emergency meeting tomorrow has not been cancelled and it appears that SEC option is still available.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #5405
Logan
Head Coach

Why has Missouri not accepted the SEC invite yet?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #5406
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Why has Missouri not accepted the SEC invite yet?

Because I think there has to be one to accept...
Old 09-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #5407
tarcone
Coordinator

Mizzou to the SEC has to be the worst football decision ever. They will be a bottom feeder in that league. The only thing they can hope for is not losing their inroads to Texas to even have a hint of competing. No way Florida kids will pick Mizzou.

As for basketball, it would be a genius move. Mizzou could dominate that league in that sport.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #5408
MJ4H
Coordinator

not sure if srs
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM   #5409
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Because I think there has to be one to accept...

How can that be? Baghdad Bob, I mean MBBF assured us that Missouri had offers from the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-10, ACC, Big East, and the NFC Central?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #5410
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Heh, tell us what you really think coach Pinkel. I especially like the part where he stops to correct himself to use the past tense when referring to the Big-12.

Pinkel levels another blast at Big 12 | Campus Corner
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #5411
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
How can that be? Baghdad Bob, I mean MBBF assured us that Missouri had offers from the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-10, ACC, Big East, and the NFC Central?

AFC Central DUH!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #5412
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting comments from Mike Kelly tonight on Radio (play by play man for Mizzou). Said that Brady Deaton may be stripped of his decision-making ability regarding conference affiliation in tomorrow's BOC meeting. That would sync with rumors that majority of MU board of curators favor acceptance of a SEC invitation. Students at Mizzou are also organizing a pro-SEC rally for tomorrow morning around the building where the curators will be meeting.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #5413
RedKingGold
College Starter

What would happen if MBBF was stripped of his decision-marking ability?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #5414
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

OSU board votes tonight to give president full decision-making on any conference realignment discussions.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #5415
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
OSU board votes tonight to give president full decision-making on any conference realignment discussions.

Too bad for him he has to call the oklahoma president 1st
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #5416
digamma
Torchbearer

Missouri has beaten Texas exactly once since 1917. Wanna get away?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #5417
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

That can't possibly be correct
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5418
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That can't possibly be correct

To be fair, they didn't play them all that often until the Big 12 formed, but it is true.

Missouri Game by Game against Opponents
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #5419
MrBug708
Head Coach

Interesting.

Also, why the exhibition games in Mexico City?
Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #5420
Swaggs
Coordinator

Some smoke going around that WVU received an offer to join the Big 12 today. If true, I imagine we try to show a little leg to the SEC one last time to see if they bite and if not, it is off to a new region. If we go, I hope Louisville comes, too.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #5421
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola...

and if that doesn't work out, we always have this exciting option: Big East will look to add Navy, Air Force for football only; Temple, Villanova also options | NJ.com
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #5422
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

Absolutely. We have the opportunity to move to a conference where we have a proven track record......

Alabama 2-1
Arkansas 3-2
Auburn 1-0
Florida 1-0
Georgia 0-1
Kentucky 1-2
LSU 1-0
Mississippi 5-1
Mississippi St. 2-0
South Carolina 2-0
Vanderbilt 2-1-1

All-time records
Mizzou vs. SEC opponents - 20-8-1
Mizzou vs. SEC opponents (bowl games) - 8-1
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #5423
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Absolutely. We have the opportunity to move to a conference where we have a proven track record......

Alabama 2-1
Arkansas 3-2
Auburn 1-0
Florida 1-0
Georgia 0-1
Kentucky 1-2
LSU 1-0
Mississippi 5-1
Mississippi St. 2-0
South Carolina 2-0
Vanderbilt 2-1-1

All-time records
Mizzou vs. SEC opponents - 20-8-1
Mizzou vs. SEC opponents (bowl games) - 8-1
I've gotta give credit where credit is due - this is gold.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #5424
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Some smoke going around that WVU received an offer to join the Big 12 today. If true, I imagine we try to show a little leg to the SEC one last time to see if they bite and if not, it is off to a new region. If we go, I hope Louisville comes, too.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #5425
RainMaker
General Manager

The SEC is so overated. They have the top teams in the country, but outside of their top 3-4, the conference is extremely mediocre and even below average in some instances.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #5426
MJ4H
Coordinator

no u
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #5427
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The SEC is so overated. They have the top teams in the country, but outside of their top 3-4, the conference is extremely mediocre and even below average in some instances.

I don't think the middle and bottom teams in the other main conferences are all that better.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #5428
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I don't think the middle and bottom teams in the other main conferences are all that better.

Yeah, but it's the eternal thing where even Pac-10 and Big XII teams would get this nonsense about how the SEC was a war week in and week out so even their middle teams are worse because, you know, beating up on South Carolina or Mississippi or Mississippi State or Arkansas is so hard to say nothing of Vandy or Kentucky. Yes, good teams some years just like Georgia or Tennessee have had elite teams but not unlike, say, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech or Washington or Arizona- teams that have been regional powers for a couple of seasons.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #5429
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yes, good teams some years just like Georgia or Tennessee have had elite teams but not unlike, say, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech or Washington or Arizona- teams that have been regional powers for a couple of seasons.

SI

Georgia and Tennessee have the potential to win a national title in any decade. You can't say that for those other teams. You could say that Auburn is a step below those two, and yet they just won a national title. When is the next time you see it feasible that OkSt, TT, Wash, or Arizona win a title?

It isn't the current top of the SEC that makes the conference strong, it is the top of the middle teams that are capable of winning national titles or just being damn good 10 win teams any year that make the conference so tough.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #5430
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, Washington has two titles in the early 90s right after Colorado's. Oklahoma State is ranked in the Top 10 right now while Texas Tech went 11-1 a couple of years ago. Arizona... well, it's been a while since the Desert Swarm defense and that wasn't quite national title contender. But I was just giving examples. K-State was one win away from playing for a national title a couple of times in the last 90s while, hell, Kansas and Mizzou were in that boat in 2007. Sorry, I don't know my Pac-10 as well, but I'm sure someone could give some info on Washington State's years with Ryan Leaf or Arizona State's successes, etc.

And, again, we're not talking about perennial powers (Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC, etc)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #5431
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, Washington has two titles in the early 90s right after Colorado's. Oklahoma State is ranked in the Top 10 right now while Texas Tech went 11-1 a couple of years ago. Arizona... well, it's been a while since the Desert Swarm defense and that wasn't quite national title contender. But I was just giving examples. K-State was one win away from playing for a national title a couple of times in the last 90s while, hell, Kansas and Mizzou were in that boat in 2007. Sorry, I don't know my Pac-10 as well, but I'm sure someone could give some info on Washington State's years with Ryan Leaf or Arizona State's successes, etc.

And, again, we're not talking about perennial powers (Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC, etc)

SI

That's why I said "in any decade." Georgia, Tennessee, and Auburn can have a team every decade that either wins a national title or seriously competes for one. Auburn has three undefeated seasons in the last 20 years, each separated by at least a few years and under totally different regimes. And, again, I would consider Auburn as a SEC program to be upper middle.

For now, and for the foreseeable future, the SEC has those top middle teams that can compete for national titles even if they aren't in some sort of golden age of the program. Hell a coach that was horrid in the Big 12 came in and won a title right away with one of those teams! That is something that less than elite teams in the other conferences can't say or do. (And why the difference? Even when SEC teams aren't elite, they often stock very good to elite athletes. See: recruiting rankings.)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #5432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dan Beebe working to leave job as Big 12 Conference commissioner, report says - ESPN
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #5433
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
That's why I said "in any decade." Georgia, Tennessee, and Auburn can have a team every decade that either wins a national title or seriously competes for one. Auburn has three undefeated seasons in the last 20 years, each separated by at least a few years and under totally different regimes. And, again, I would consider Auburn as a SEC program to be upper middle.

For now, and for the foreseeable future, the SEC has those top middle teams that can compete for national titles even if they aren't in some sort of golden age of the program. Hell a coach that was horrid in the Big 12 came in and won a title right away with one of those teams! That is something that less than elite teams in the other conferences can't say or do. (And why the difference? Even when SEC teams aren't elite, they often stock very good to elite athletes. See: recruiting rankings.)
You're downplaying Washington a bit, but then again, they are historically the 2nd best program in the Pac-12 so I suppose that fits your point about "middle tier" teams from the respective conferences.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #5434
MrBug708
Head Coach

Historically third with a great run in the 90s

I know this will likely start WW3 between us

Last edited by MrBug708 : 09-22-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #5435
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Historically third with a great run in the 90s

I know this will likely start WW3 between us
No war, the facts are clear:

Winning percentage:
USC: 769-311-54 = .702
UW: 665-411-50 = .613
UCLA: 542-379-37 = .585

Rose Bowls:
USC: 33
UW: 14
UCLA: 12

Which Pac-10 teams have been in at least 1 Rose Bowl each decade since the 1920's? USC & UW.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #5436
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
No war, the facts are clear:

Winning percentage:
USC: 769-311-54 = .702
UW: 665-411-50 = .613
UCLA: 542-379-37 = .585

Rose Bowls:
USC: 33
UW: 14
UCLA: 12

Which Pac-10 teams have been in at least 1 Rose Bowl each decade since the 1920's? USC & UW.

Washington has played over 200 more games than UCLA so take this into consideration

Conference Titles:
UCLA - 17
Washington - 14

Award Winners
Washington - 16
UCLA - 8

Consensus All-Americans
UCLA - 39
Washington 20

Heisman Winners
UCLA - 1
Washington - 0

College football HOF
Washington - 14
UCLA - 13

All Important head-to head record
UCLA - 38 wins
Washington - 30 wins

Old 09-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #5437
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Washington has played over 200 more games than UCLA so take this into consideration

Conference Titles:
UCLA - 17
Washington - 14

Award Winners
Washington - 16
UCLA - 8

Consensus All-Americans
UCLA - 39
Washington 20

Heisman Winners
UCLA - 1
Washington - 0

College football HOF
Washington - 14
UCLA - 13

All Important head-to head record
UCLA - 38 wins
Washington - 30 wins

I'll give you head-to-head. I'll stand by the rest of it though. That the UW still has the edge it does over UCLA after going through - by far - the worst 5 years stretch in their history just emphasizes the historical advantage the Huskies have over the Bruins.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #5438
MrBug708
Head Coach

I can go even further, take out the worse decade of UCLA's era, (the last 10) and largely the 90's, just goes to show how strong UCLA was. UW's head start is a lot to take into consideration but it's the breaks, I can't change when a program started. I

I'd say overall winning record and award winners are the only two clear advantages UW has and award winners isn't really that much of a category. UCLA owns conference titles (despite 200 less games), head to head, and the All-Americans.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 09-22-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #5439
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post

The SEC is solid, by far the best league in college football, but even your SEC brethren can answer the bolded question. Bag of cash possibly?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #5440
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And while the rest of the conference is expected to pledge loyalty, UT lines up exit strategies.

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showm...&mid=163241898

Quote:
Big Ten and Texas Created a "Letter of Intent"

Tonight, the University of Texas president Bill Powers co-authored a letter of intent with the Big Ten conference.

The key terms include:

- the University of Texas will in good faith conduct discussions with the Big Ten conference and no other conference related to its post-2012 conference affiliation
- the Big Ten will not invite any other institution to join the conference without the prior approval of Texas
- before joining the Big Ten, Texas will have assurances that it can schedule four non-Big Ten conference football games per season
- the requirement that any final arrangement be designed to increased revenues among all Big Ten conference schools, with no discrepancies in distributions unrelated to television network distributions among conference institutions
- Texas will become a full CIC member
- Texas and the Big Ten will jointly approve any third party media arrangements related to Texas athletics moving forward
- the goal that Texas participates as a full member of the conference beginning in the fall of 2014

Texas' intentions with regard to the Big Ten will remain without official announcements until a specific group of universities, including the current Texas' Big XII schools, solidify their own conference affiliation status. Neither the Big Ten nor Texas wishes to be seen as the primary driving force in conference realignment.

The decision of Syracuse and Pittsburg to join the ACC came unexpectedly to the Big Ten. Certain leaders of the conference remained uncertain that a similar unexpected action could take place on the heels of the meeting of the Texas Board of Regents, particularly given the lack of uniform communications between Texas stakeholders and the conference. These individuals no longer have such uncertainties.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #5441
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And while the rest of the conference is expected to pledge loyalty, UT lines up exit strategies.

WildcatReport.com - Message Boards

Sounds made up to make Texas look bad. (not by you but the original poster)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #5442
Logan
Head Coach

I don't believe any of that.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #5443
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Sounds made up to make Texas look bad. (not by you but the original poster)

The poster has been pretty good with his Big Ten information in the past. Reportedly knows a lawyer that is involved in all Big Ten contract negotiations.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #5444
molson
General Manager

You'd think in such a busy, important time those "insiders" would be more worried about the fate of their schools and less worried about anonymously bragging about all the stuff they know.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #5445
Logan
Head Coach

The real lawyers can chime in on this...but I do not believe it would be normal for a letter of intent to cover something like "we will not talk to anyone else about XX".
Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #5446
henry296
College Starter

And he can't even spell Pittsburgh, right.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #5447
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
And he can't even spell Pittsburgh, right.

Who can? It's as difficult as Misissipi.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #5448
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't believe any of that.

This. Texas has been pretty consistent with saying "1st and 2nd tier rights can be shared equally, but you can't have me Lucky Charms, er, Longhorn Network money." Not to mention veto rights on who to invite.

IIRC, that guy admitted that Delany ripped him a new one last year for leaking something. If that's true, anything he says is no more reliable than Chip Brown being a mouthpiece for Texas. "Leak this misinformation or you're fired this time." His posts keep getting deleted this time around and he claims Rivals is doing it instead of him. Note the first guy saying he has a screenshot this time.

Last edited by bronconick : 09-22-2011 at 09:18 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #5449
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
The poster has been pretty good with his Big Ten information in the past. Reportedly knows a lawyer that is involved in all Big Ten contract negotiations.
This entire thread is filled with bad rumors that are put out by people who "have always been right aboust stuff".
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #5450
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Columbia (MO) Tribune newspaper reporting that Mizzou's Board of Curators has called a meeting for Thursday morning at the University. Local press has been invited to the meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This entire thread is filled with bad rumors that are put out by people who "have always been right aboust stuff".

18 months of garbage and nobody knows about one of the few things that actually happened (cuse and pitt)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote