Which MSG will want no part of

Maybe yes, maybe no.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #5052
tarcone
Coordinator

I dont see why the B1G will be "left behind" if it stays at 12. I always go to the standard "if your friends jump off a building, would you?" line. The B1G is a traditional, established conference. The teams play each other regularly. Rivalries remain intact. There is no history of large (16 team) conferences being viable.
Jim Delaney was quoted as saying "I don't think that moves in the SEC or the A.C.C. or Pac-10 or Big 12, haven't, to date, created an environment that changes our position," Delany said. "We're as comfortable as we could be. We're cautious and conservative." And "We want to play each other more, not less," he said. "We're working hard through a successful transition of Nebraska. The fact that others have different ideas about size and the number of schools that you have doesn't affect us. We are where we want to be and have been."

This could be a smoke screen, but I hope the B1G stays at 12.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #5053
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This could be a smoke screen, but I hope the B1G stays at 12.

If they do, they'll prove themselves to be the smartest of the bunch (except for the whole division naming thing, they still sucked at that)
Old 09-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #5054
Swaggs
Coordinator

Unless Notre Dame is willing, I think the Big Ten stays at 12.

Other than the ACC destroying the Big East and gaining a greater foothold on the Northeastern markets, I still don't see why these conferences are making additions past 12 (to get conference championships).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #5055
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Unless Notre Dame is willing, I think the Big Ten stays at 12.

Other than the ACC destroying the Big East and gaining a greater foothold on the Northeastern markets, I still don't see why these conferences are making additions past 12 (to get conference championships).

Well I understand it with the Pac-16 as well since they are starting their own conference network and need the extra live sports programming for it. Plus by adding 4 teams they shift better inventory to the network.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 09-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #5056
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Well I understand it with the Pac-16 as well since they are starting their own conference network and need the extra live sports programming for it. Plus by adding 4 teams they shift better inventory to the network.
Plus, given geography, the Pac has to be the most pro-active in terms of securing top-tier teams as a defense against other major conferences going to 16.

I expect that the exodus of teams from the Big East could be the domino that pushes Notre Dame to the Big Ten, which is what that conference has been patiently waiting for.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #5057
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Statesman is reporting that a deal is close to add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech:

Texas Longhorns: Football, Basketball, Baseball and more | Statesman.com
While I'm happy for the prestige (and money) that Texas will add to the conference, I sure hope the part about Texas getting to keep Longhorn Network revenue above and beyond the third tier 1/16th share isn't true. It's not likely to be a significant amount of money, but I really don't like the precedent of giving Texas even a little bit more money. Travel and scheduling concessions? Yeah, I can see that. But equal revenue sharing should be just that - 100% equal.

A part of me still hopes the Texas thing doesn't happen and we bring in Kansas & K State to go with the Oklahoma schools...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #5058
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Report: Connecticut president lobbying hard for Huskies to join ACC | syracuse.com

ESPN.com's Andy Katz and Joe Schad are reporting that University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst is 'aggressively pursuing' a membership in the Atlantic Coast Conference for the Huskies.
The Huskies were one of the original members of the Big East Conference in 1979, along with Syracuse, Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Boston College.
From the ESPN.com report:
According to the source, Herbst was having conversations recently but in light of Pittsburgh's and Syracuse's defections from the Big East, the talks have accelerated in the last 48 hours.
In a statement earlier Sunday, Herbst said that although UConn was "a proud charter member of the Big East" the school was staying "actively involved in discussions with our counterparts from around the country to ensure the successful long-term future of our university's athletic program."
Hartford Courant columnist Jeff Jacobs had this to day about UConn's future in the Big East:
If Syracuse and Pittsburgh really are gone from the Big East, there is zero reason UConn should do anything but fight to save its own BCS skin. If Syracuse and Pittsburgh are gone the Big East as we know it is dead for UConn. They arguably are UConn's two best basketball rivals. Considering both also play football, they are UConn's two best Big East rivals. Period.
If Syracuse and Pittsburgh really are gone, UConn should make it clear to commissioner John Marinatto to do something. Enough with the Seton Halls and DePauls, John. Enough with the talk of East Carolina and Army. Do something quick. You got caught with your pants down. Do something substantial. Or get the heck out of the way.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #5059
Swaggs
Coordinator

UConn is the Baylor of the Big East.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #5060
General Mike
Pro Starter

The B1G is gonna force Notre Dame's hand.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #5061
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This would seem to be a statement that confirms that WVU is looking elsewhere. Couple this statement which says nothing about the Big East along with rumors that WVU sent their official paper work to the SEC this morning and it looks like they'll be the next move on the eastern half of the country.

West Virginia statement doesn't mention Big East - CBSSports.com

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-18-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #5062
tarcone
Coordinator

If ND joins the B1G, who is 14? Rutgers? Mizzou? Kansas?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #5063
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

I would kind of hope Kansas. Like I said, if you add a team they better be able to provide something. Kansas doesn't provide anything to football but it'd be great for the Hoops side of things.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #5064
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

I have to think they try and grab Kansas and Missouri. They make the most sense to me.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #5065
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I have to think they try and grab Kansas and Missouri. They make the most sense to me.

It would make the most sense given that the east coast options appear to be off the table. Both Kansas and Missouri are AAU schools.

More smoke on WVA filing papers.......

SEC Expansion: West Virginia Could Be Team No. 14, According To Report - SBNation.com

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #5066
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

If they aren't going to get Texas or Notre Dame and feel compelled to go to 14, those two make a lot of sense. They add some beef to the basketball side of things without upsetting the balance of power on the football side.

I'm still not sold that the Big Ten is going to act (unless they feel like Notre Dame is going to be willing to talk).
Old 09-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #5067
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It would make the most sense given that the east coast options appear to be off the table. Both Kansas and Missouri are AAU schools.

More smoke on WVA filing papers.......

SEC Expansion: West Virginia Could Be Team No. 14, According To Report - SBNation.com

Dunlap gets a lot of his info from the WVU boards and takes credit for it. He's an attention whore, but he is usually accurate.

In this case it does match up with what's been leaking today from the WVU side of things and with what's starting to leak out onto the SEC boards. It sounds like WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt have been working together to get out of the conference at the same time.

I hope every football school in the Big East is able to find a home in a BCS conference. With the amount of shit everyone's put up with from the basketball schools over the years they deserve it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #5068
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Wouldn't Iowa State be a natural fit for the Big10 with Iowa already there?

And what happens to TCU? What a dog of a conference with Pitt, SU, and likely WVU and UConn taking a hike.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #5069
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Dunlap gets a lot of his info from the WVU boards and takes credit for it. He's an attention whore, but he is usually accurate.

In this case it does match up with what's been leaking today from the WVU side of things and with what's starting to leak out onto the SEC boards. It sounds like WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt have been working together to get out of the conference at the same time.

It's going to be the same situation tomorrow (or Tuesday) in the Big 12. Quick set of dominoes falling with OU/OSU/UT/TT followed by the remaining schools issuing statements that they're doing what's best for the university and lamenting how the other bad guys broke up the conference.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #5070
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I hope every football school in the Big East is able to find a home in a BCS conference. With the amount of shit everyone's put up with from the basketball schools over the years they deserve it.
That's a huge from me - WVU included. The basketball-only schools have been unbearable since the idea of a Big East Football Conference was hatched. I hope the football schools find a new home - C-USA looks likely doesn't it?

Take away the football schools from the Big East and Big East basketball doesn't look that imposing anymore, does it?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #5071
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Greg Swaim reporting that Notre Dame has been offered membership in the Big Ten and the conference will allow them to keep the NBC TV deal.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #5072
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Greg Swaim reporting that Notre Dame has been offered membership in the Big Ten and the conference will allow them to keep the NBC TV deal.

Interesting. I wonder if the BTN would equalize the financial side of it. And does the higher entrance standards nullify any extra money ND makes?

The B1G stayed at 11 for almost 2 decades. Will it stay at 13?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #5073
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if the BTN would equalize the financial side of it. And does the higher entrance standards nullify any extra money ND makes?

The B1G stayed at 11 for almost 2 decades. Will it stay at 13?

BTN is up for renewal in the not too distant future. May as well load up with ND before then to maximize your position.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #5074
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
BTN is up for renewal in the not too distant future. May as well load up with ND before then to maximize your position.

it's not the BTN deal that's coming up, its the ABC/ESPN deal.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 09-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #5075
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
it's not the BTN deal that's coming up, its the ABC/ESPN deal.

Touche. I knew it too. Fucking BTN on the brain with all these talk.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #5076
General Mike
Pro Starter

Also, ND's deal is up soon too. I'm guessing that even if they let ND keep their deal, they would eventually have to be rolled into the next TV contract.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #5077
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Read in an Atlanta paper that the ACC is courting Penn State, who asked for ACC membership back in the late 80s early 90s when Joe Paterno wanted a true east coast conference.

chances of Penn State jumping ship? I'd say less than negative 100%
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #5078
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Read in an Atlanta paper that the ACC is courting Penn State, who asked for ACC membership back in the late 80s early 90s when Joe Paterno wanted a true east coast conference.

The ACC's best chance is to catch Joe Paterno on a day when he thinks it still is the late 80's or early 90's and get him to sign a bunch of papers.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #5079
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

In the bigger picture though, attempts like this to take universities out of a conference during this instability makes it clear to these conferences that they need to push to 16 as quickly as possible to avoid any poaching. They have to demonstrate to their members that they'll be one of the big dogs or risk others coming in to take their spot.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #5080
cuervo72
Head Coach

Penn St to the ACC probably wouldn't happen, but it would be interesting. Syracuse, Pitt and Maryland were all long-time opponents back in the day.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #5082
Buccaneer
Head Coach

SU primary rival back in the day (?60s, early 70s) was with Penn State. SU's later rivals with Miami and VT were simply contrived, not to mention short-lived. But it looks like we get those again for football. In basketball, competing with Duke, UNC and Pitt will be exciting (assuming Coach JB stays), as long as f'n Gtown goes away.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #5083
rowech
Pro Starter

Why in the world would a football school like Penn State, in a football conference like the Big 10, leave for what is clearly becoming a basketball conference?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #5084
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm...you know, I wouldn't mind a potential for an occasional PSU/Miami ACC Championship game either.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #5085
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Hmm...you know, I wouldn't mind a potential for an occasional PSU/Miami ACC Championship game either.

Yeah, drop VT (to pay back for 2003 Virginia politics) and replace them with PSU.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #5086
Swaggs
Coordinator

More and more chatter on the WVU end that we will be SEC #14 and that Missouri and Louisville could soon follow as #15 and #16.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #5087
timmynausea
College Starter

Yep. Here's a tweet from Chris Gates, a sports talk radio guy in Pittsburgh:

Quote:
I was told to expect something official on #WVU to the SEC by Tuesday/Wednesday. Looks like we're on schedule.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #5088
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
PSU to the ACC with ND filling their B1G spot would be very interesting.

I would love this. PsU doesnt fit the culture of the B1G. ND on the other hand is, obviously, the better fit.

I doubt it happens, but it wouldnt bother me the least.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #5089
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Yep. Here's a tweet from Chris Gates, a sports talk radio guy in Pittsburgh:

If this does happen we may actually be able to recruit some offensive lineman now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #5090
timmynausea
College Starter

Colin Dunlap now backtracking a bit from his earlier tweet:

Quote:
Too many #WVU fans putting cart before horse. Just because some paperwork sent and have interest in SEC, doesn't mean it is done deal.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #5091
timmynausea
College Starter

Perhaps not a coincidence that Andy Staples tweeted this a little bit ago, too:

Quote:
No it isn't. RT @SyrNYBones: West Virginia to SEC is the next move
Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #5092
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
I would love this. PsU doesnt fit the culture of the B1G. ND on the other hand is, obviously, the better fit.

I doubt it happens, but it wouldnt bother me the least.

A private Catholic university that prides itself largely on undergraduate studies is a better fit than a large land grant research university in the state next to Ohio?

o.O
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #5093
timmynausea
College Starter

One more Andy Staples tweet, and I should add that he's a Sports Illustrated writer:

Quote:
Yes. RT @gregrazer: Are u also being told that MIZZOU will be #14 (if Big 12 implodes)?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #5094
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
A private Catholic university that prides itself largely on undergraduate studies is a better fit than a large land grant research university in the state next to Ohio?

o.O

Maybe in the old days of the Big Ten but this is the B1G.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #5095
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Colin Dunlap now backtracking a bit from his earlier tweet:

Another f'ing idiot, and I mean Dunlap. Schools don't apply for admission to conferences if they don't know the answer already.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #5096
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

o.O

I wasnt talking academics. Im talking culture. Midwest vs. East coast. They do play a B1G style of football but Penn State has always felt out of place in the B1G, in my mind.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #5097
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Penn State competes for two rivalry trophies, both introduced when the Nittany Lions began Big Ten football in 1993.

Michigan State
Main article: Land Grant Trophy

Since 1993, Penn State annually plays Michigan State for the Land Grant Trophy. Penn State has a 13-5 record in these trophy games and Michigan State currently holds possession of the trophy after winning the 2010 contest. Beginning with the league's expansion and new division format in 2011, the two teams will play in opposite divisions and meet twice every five years.

Minnesota
The Nittany Lions taking the field against Minnesota in 2005.
Main article: Governor's Victory Bell

Since 1993, Penn State has played Minnesota for the Governor's Victory Bell. Penn State is 8-4 against the Golden Gophers in this series and holds possession of the trophy after winning the 2010 contest.

Due to the Big Ten's schedule rotation, Penn State and Minnesota did not meet in 2007 and 2008. The series resumed in 2009. Beginning with the league's expansion and new division format in 2011, the two teams will play in opposite divisions and meet twice every five years.

Now, this may just be me and I may be biased being from SE PA, but I identify PA as fitting in more with NY, MD, NJ, DE than I do MI and MN. If the best the B1G has been able to cook up are those two games?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #5098
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Now, this may just be me and I may be biased being from SE PA, but I identify PA as fitting in more with NY, MD, NJ, DE than I do MI and MN. If the best the B1G has been able to cook up are those two games?

More reason for Rutgers to be invited with ND.

I tend to agree that PA is more northeast than midwest, but...it's not completely unseemly either. Still, I doubt that they'd go back to an Atlantic league now that all of their programs are so nicely ensconced in the B10 B1G for almost 20 years.

Seems if Texas manages to figure out their LHN situation and with Notre Dame's contract soon to be up, it's going to be move on the Irish to figure out what they want to do. Given the Olympic Big East shouldn't be drying up, staying there is probably fine. But there's a certain wisdom to "going while your name is hot" too...

I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-18-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #5099
Buccaneer
Head Coach

How can it be a rivalry when you play only twice in five years?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #5100
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I'm amused at all the comments to the effect that the Big Ten will be left behind by staying at 12 members.

The requirement to hold a conference championship football game is a minimum of 12 teams. There are no added benefits to going beyond 12 members as far as league competitiveness is concerned. [snip]

You are assuming the BCS and for that matter the NCAA stay intact. If the 4 Super 16s ever come to pass, the fall of the BCS is nothing more than a formality and the NCAA will probably get pulled into the drain funnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I wish I had something nice to say about WVU fans but after yesterday's game, I find them reprehensible. Dirty, rude, and generally just a-holes. I really hope that Maryland fans, when we travel, aren't as bad as the WVU fans were yesterday. And I'm not even talking about the stadium (where they were obnoxious but expectedly so), I'm talking about the tailgaters.

I was disappointed to see the news this morning about Pitt and 'Cuse joining the ACC. I know it doesn't make sense financially for the ACC to be small, but I loved the days when we played everybody in football and in basketball when we played every team twice. It made it feel like it was a bit more of an even/true playing field. Alas in this day and age, I get it that it just won't happen...

/tk

Totally agree about old conference nostalgia..back when UMd was the WAY NORTH trip....that said we have had absolutely horrible experiences with Terp fans. I generally rate them t3 (with UNC) behind GT and now Miami fans. Heck GT fans have caused me to get handcuffed on 2 occasions, but Terp fans can be down right filthy. Present company excluded of course
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote