Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #451
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I guess Ireland (the main problem outside of Ross) stays?

Those wacky Celebrifins.

ESPN reporting that Carl Peterson will take over a role similar to what Parcells had in Miami and Ireland will "stay on in some capacity"

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #452
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Jim Caldwell
Norv Turner
Chan Gailey
Raheem Morris
Steve Spagnuolo
Andy Reid
Lovie Smith

7 more candidates possibly looking for work in the near future.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 12-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #453
Rizon
Pro Starter

I think they should let Fergie have more of an active role in hiring/firing. JLo just makin dumb decisions now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #454
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

If only we could add Lovie Smith to that list.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #455
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
BTW, that's 2 head coaches Tebow has killed today! TEBOW!

PS: Also just realized Romeo Crennell takes over as HC of the Chiefs.. ouch!!! TEBOW!!!

Yeah, this kinda sucks for Chiefs fans. The defense has been good this year, despite the games where they gave up some points due to lack of offensive production. I'm guessing that he'll coach out the year and then apply for the head coaching job and not get it. As a result, he'll probably end up leaving. Would love to see him stay as defensive coordinator if possible.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #456
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I think Lovie is a good coach. I just think him and Jerry Angelo should have zero say in offensive decisions. Just hire a competent assistant GM or something who decides the offensive coordinator and all personnel decisions.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #457
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Jim Caldwell
Norv Turner
Chan Gailey
Raheem Morris
Steve Spagnuolo
Andy Reid
Lovie Smith

Quote:

abracadabra!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #458
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
abracadabra!

I see what you did there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #459
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I see what you did there

Tebowed his way onto that list!!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #460
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Jim Caldwell
Norv Turner
Chan Gailey
Raheem Morris
Steve Spagnuolo
Andy Reid
Lovie Smith

Tebow says:

The last 2 candidates most likely stay on.

Morris and Spagnuolo have both regressed, after overachieving the previous season.

Bradford being hurt, and TB's young defense, could give these 2 coaches another season to prove themselves.

Buffalo lost Fred Jackson, QB received a new contract, yet have lost 6 in a row. This season was considered a PO year.

SD underachieving come crunch time, lost 6 in a row, offensive is built to score points, new direction is needed.

Indy revolved around 1 player, yet failed miserably finding a competent replacement.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #461
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think Lovie is a good coach. I just think him and Jerry Angelo should have zero say in offensive decisions.

They have a name for that position. It's called Defensive Coordinator. Lovie is not a good head coach.

And don't get me wrong - Angelo absolutely needs to go as well.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-12-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #462
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
He's a funny guy.
Does anyone get fined/suspended for the helmet to helmet hit on Mendenhall? Or just pretty white QBs? What about the medical staff that let McCoy stay in the game?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #463
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone get fined/suspended for the helmet to helmet hit on Mendenhall? Or just pretty white QBs? What about the medical staff that let McCoy stay in the game?

I know that this will probably get me lit up (and I will admit to being a Steelers fan before I say this) but I do agree, at least to some degree, with Harrison's read of the hit. McCoy had already tucked and was almost straddling the line of scrimmage when he pulled up and threw. Fine, I guess, but suspension is crap for this.

The hit on Mendenhall at the line of scrimmage by the goal line was just as brutal, maybe he should've pulled up and tossed it (of course we saw how that idea worked out for Ronnie Brown earlier this year!).
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #464
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #465
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

I didn't see the Mendenhall hit, so I can't comment. The medical staff should be fired.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #466
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

what do you mean i cant spear a quarterback in the facemask with my helmet
Old 12-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #467
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
They have a name for that position. It's called Defensive Coordinator. Lovie is not a good head coach.

And don't get me wrong - Angelo absolutely needs to go as well.

I go back and forth on this. He's still 69-55 and has a trip to the Super Bowl on his resume (64-44 if you take off the first season). Not bad considering how much parity is in the NFL and the lack of talent they've had offensively. The worst they've done since that first season is 7-9.

My problem is that he was given too much power after the Super Bowl. They let him get rid of Riveria and bring in his own OC in Martz. He also hasn't used his same philosophy of playing the best players on offense as he uses on defense. But put a semi-competent offensive coordinator or personnel and he might be looking at a Super Bowl, or at least another trip. I still contend that if Tommie Harris didn't blow out his knee in 2006 they would have taken out the Colts.

I think the primary job of a Head Coach is to make sure the players are playing hard, well-prepared, and get developed. I think he's done a decent job of that. His style isn't sexy so I think people don't look favorably on their wins. But his record has been good and I think he's a good head coach. Not a great one, but a good one.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #468
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I know that this will probably get me lit up (and I will admit to being a Steelers fan before I say this) but I do agree, at least to some degree, with Harrison's read of the hit. McCoy had already tucked and was almost straddling the line of scrimmage when he pulled up and threw. Fine, I guess, but suspension is crap for this.

The hit on Mendenhall at the line of scrimmage by the goal line was just as brutal, maybe he should've pulled up and tossed it (of course we saw how that idea worked out for Ronnie Brown earlier this year!).

I don't have a huge problem with the rule. I don't think it's as easy as people think to pull up as a player. But I just find it hypocritical that a QB can't be touched but you can do anything you want to a running back. If the guy is in the pocket, sure, but McCoy tucked the ball and was running for awhile, he has to be treated like a running back.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #469
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I don't have a huge problem with the rule. I don't think it's as easy as people think to pull up as a player. But I just find it hypocritical that a QB can't be touched but you can do anything you want to a running back. If the guy is in the pocket, sure, but McCoy tucked the ball and was running for awhile, he has to be treated like a running back.
I know you don't mean it literally, but Harrison could've touched Colt McCoy. I think the problem is the whole targeting-the-facemask-with-the-crown-of-the-helmet thing, for lack of a better term. That's not tackling. That's assault.

No, I am not suggesting that an actual crime was committed.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 12-12-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #470
RainMaker
General Manager

But those hits happen to running backs all the time and never get called.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #471
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
But those hits happen to running backs all the time and never get called.

EDIT: After reading the rules on unnecessary roughing.

(g) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or
facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.

Further..

(j) if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves
both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his
helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any
part of his opponent’s body.
Note: This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless
player, as defined in Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9

http://static.nfl.com/static/content...er_Conduct.pdf

Page 73.

Last edited by Grover : 12-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #472
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Note: This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless
player, as defined in Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9

And that is how I view McCoy at the point where Harrison hit him, as a runner. I'm not sure I would define him as defenseless either since the runner is typically in control of the situation (as opposed to a receiver who is going up for a ball). I think once you tuck/leave the pocket you certainly leave yourself open to get popped.

As for the Browns' staff, I'll be curious what the repercussions are.

I haven't seen it but heard that there was a pretty bad unnecessary roughness call (not roughing the passer but downfield) on a Tom Brady run. Anyone see this that can comment?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #473
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I haven't seen it but heard that there was a pretty bad unnecessary roughness call (not roughing the passer but downfield) on a Tom Brady run. Anyone see this that can comment?

Brady slid and got hit, but the defender was already diving at him when he started his slide. Sorta like when Trent Green got hit years ago (which did not get flagged), but not even as bad as that hit. It was a total BS flag. (I didn't know they called forearm to the head since I didn't see it live. That wasn't even close to a forearm to the head!)

EDIT: Here it is

Last edited by sabotai : 12-12-2011 at 06:08 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #474
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Brady was about to start his slide and London Fletcher came in and made a perfectly clean tackle. Worst Ref Ever Jeff Tripplett cited a forearm to the head, but strangely Fletcher's forearm only connected with Brady's chest. Fletcher was apoplectic over the call, rightly so.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #475
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I know you don't mean it literally, but Harrison could've touched Colt McCoy. I think the problem is the whole targeting-the-facemask-with-the-crown-of-the-helmet thing, for lack of a better term. That's not tackling. That's assault.

No, I am not suggesting that an actual crime was committed.

It is hypocritical I wouldnt deny that but these running backs are also so talented and elusive they really arent leaving themselves open to getting blasted in the head. I think there is a bias based on the perception that RBs are talented enough to protect themselves.

With a player like Adrian Peterson running the ball Id be more concerned with him delivering blows to the undersized dbacks he tries to put on their ass.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-12-2011 at 06:04 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #476
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #477
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It is hypocritical I wouldnt deny that but these running backs are also so talented and elusive they really arent leaving themselves open to getting blasted in the head. I think there is a bias based on the perception that RBs are talented enough to protect themselves.

With a player like Adrian Peterson running the ball Id be more concerned with him delivering blows to the undersized dbacks he tries to put on their ass.

So the rules should be different based on how good you are? I don't really understand this.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #478
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So the rules should be different based on how good you are? I don't really understand this.

I didnt say that at all.

I was pointing out probably why it is called like it is. Does Adrian Peterson ever really look in a vulnerable position?

I do think the refs have to use their best judgement when guys like Hillis come in at LBs leading with their helmet. Im not saying the LBs need to go for his head but much of that contact is created by a guy like Hillis.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-12-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #479
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Sabotai and Grover. That play just leaves me shaking my head. Wow.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #480
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Kaaaawwww. Hawks should dominate this game. Do it to it.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #481
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Strangely enough, as I think about Tebow's remarkable run of success, coupled with his personal connection to God and Jesus (note: not meant to sound snarky or sarcastic), the analogy that has recently struck me is an unfortunate one: the bishop in "Caddyshack" when he plays the round of his life in a thunderstorm. Trying to decide who gets the Spackler role in this, though and when the lightning is going to strike. If there's any syncing with the movie, it'll be when Tebow throws a pick-six at the end of the Super Bowl that costs Denver the game.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #482
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

goddammit. i wanna stuff david stern in a locker and pump seahawks stadium noise in until he brings the sonics back.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #483
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
goddammit. i wanna stuff david stern in a locker and pump seahawks stadium noise in until he brings the sonics back.

I'd be in favor of that if you just decided to leave him in there after the Sonics return.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #484
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

best fans in sports.

(you heard me boston)
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #485
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This just in: Bill Romanowski still ain't right.

Bill Romanowski Remains A Terrifying Human Being
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #486
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

wow. just wow.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #487
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Jim Gaffigan needs to work parts of this rant into his comedy bit about bacon. I dunno, I got nothin, WTF.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #488
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

My least favorite Bronco of all time.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #489
bhlloy
Coordinator

This Rams team is a pathetic excuse for a football team. This is an NFL team with one of the most powerful backs in the league and they can't score when the ball is gifted to them on first down on the one yard line. There's been some bad football this year but the Rams offense might be the weakest thing I've seen.

Honestly, it's an achievement to take Sam Bradford (even on one leg) and Steven Jackson and turn them into this offense. There should be an award for that. Other teams are finding ways to win with TJ Yates and John Skelton.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #490
sabotai
General Manager

So this game is pretty much over and I'm tired of hearing all of the people on ESPN sucking Tebow's cock all night so I switch over to watch Nightline....

"And also, does God follow football? Tim Tebow and the Power of Prayer"

.....ffs....
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #491
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This Rams team is a pathetic excuse for a football team. This is an NFL team with one of the most powerful backs in the league and they can't score when the ball is gifted to them on first down on the one yard line. There's been some bad football this year but the Rams offense might be the weakest thing I've seen.

Honestly, it's an achievement to take Sam Bradford (even on one leg) and Steven Jackson and turn them into this offense. There should be an award for that. Other teams are finding ways to win with TJ Yates and John Skelton.

I picked the Rams to win the NFL west in an FOFC prediction thread. I am something less than a football genius.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #492
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
So this game is pretty much over and I'm tired of hearing all of the people on ESPN sucking Tebow's cock all night so I switch over to watch Nightline....

"And also, does God follow football? Tim Tebow and the Power of Prayer"

.....ffs....

It is inescapable.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #493
molson
General Manager

I went from hating Tebow to admiring him. Dude's won me over. I'll be at the game Sunday and hope the Pats kills him but if he pulls it out, I'll have a sick satisfaction that I'll have to keep secret from my harder core Pats friend.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #494
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
It is inescapable.

At times like these, I like to turn on Investigation Discovery, but I'm afraid that I'll watch a show in which Tebow shows up suddenly at the end and solves the crime.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #495
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
At times like these, I like to turn on Investigation Discovery, but I'm afraid that I'll watch a show in which Tebow shows up suddenly at the end and solves the crime.

Just wait, History will do an Ancient Aliens on him and the guy with the crazy guy hair will be going on and on about how Tebow wasn't born on Earth, he was put here.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #496
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Amen.. he has Jackson sitting on the sideline for the first couple of plays when they were on the goal line late in the game, SEND HIM IN AND GIVE THE MF BALL TO JACKSON AND LET HIM SCORE.

I could take a candy cane off the Christmas tree and shove it up my nose until it pertrudes out of my eye socket watching this freaking team play football. It boggles my mind we can't even compete!!!

How the fuck did we beat New Orleans?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #497
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I doubt Gailey gets fired. Nobody expected the Bills to win more than 7 or 8 games. I think he will survive this slide if they can get another victory or two. They were the 3rd worst team in 2010.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #498
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
And that is how I view McCoy at the point where Harrison hit him, as a runner. I'm not sure I would define him as defenseless either since the runner is typically in control of the situation (as opposed to a receiver who is going up for a ball). I think once you tuck/leave the pocket you certainly leave yourself open to get popped.
One of the clearly written definitions of a player in a defenseless position is:

"A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass."

It's in the rules. Harrison may want to argue that the rule should be changed, but he's out of his tree if he thinks he didn't do anything wrong.

Oh, and there's also the whole SPEARING WITH HIS HELMET INTO SOMEBODY'S FACEMASK thing.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #499
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I went from hating Tebow to admiring him. Dude's won me over. I'll be at the game Sunday and hope the Pats kills him but if he pulls it out, I'll have a sick satisfaction that I'll have to keep secret from my harder core Pats friend.

We'll know :P

(no, seriously, It's cool. Kinda)

I'm just hoping the Pats win, that way I can tell my co-worker he owes me dinner (he HATES the Patriots, refers to them as the Cheatriots at every possible opportunity.. he told me at the beginning of the year they were going to go 5-11.. I told him that he could reverse that and be closer to the truth, so we put a dinner bet on it. 9-7 and worse, he won, 10-6, the Pats would have to win a playoff game, 11-5 or better, and I won)
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #500
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
We'll know :P

(no, seriously, It's cool. Kinda)

I'm just hoping the Pats win, that way I can tell my co-worker he owes me dinner (he HATES the Patriots, refers to them as the Cheatriots at every possible opportunity.. he told me at the beginning of the year they were going to go 5-11.. I told him that he could reverse that and be closer to the truth, so we put a dinner bet on it. 9-7 and worse, he won, 10-6, the Pats would have to win a playoff game, 11-5 or better, and I won)

Obviously Tebow is going to come out and put up 56 points this game and lead Denver to an improbable 56-52 victory