Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #451
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

what'd drew brees run over your dog or something?

Kind of similar to Favre haters is you ask me.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #452
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Looks like the voodoo magic trumped Favre magic.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #453
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
And the Football Gods proclaimed to the hero, "thou shalt be part of the game, but never will you be the game," and smote him down.

That is because he broke the first commandment of Quarterbacks.

"Thou shalt never throw late across the middle!"
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #454
Philliesfan980
Banned

Ah crap, nevermind, I love the Saints (who couldn't after hearing Sean talk)
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #455
ColtCrazy
College Starter

What was the last time two #1 seeds made the Super Bowl?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #456
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Cardinals and now the Saints. Lions next year?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #457
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

ive always said Favre is the most overrated QB in history. if it wasnt for Howard having the best return game in superbowl history he would be recognized as the biggest choker in NFL history
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #458
Groundhog
Coordinator

I kinda wanted the Vikings to make it to be honest, but Colts-Saints should be one hell of a Superbowl.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #459
Tigercat
College Starter

And does anyone think the Saints won't play better IN TWO weeks? I think the team felt the pressure for this game at home tonight, and came out super flat. Not saying I would favor the Saints against the Colts, I won't. But it is a good bet that a better, looser team will show up in Miami.

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-24-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: cause I am deleriously stupid! WHO DAT!
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #460
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Great game but I am amazed the Saints won - their offensive was MIA for most of the second half, and the Vikings were moving the ball at will - basically only constant Vikings turnovers kept them in it. But they won, and that's all that counts.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #461
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
And does anyone think the Saints won't play better next week? I think the team felt the pressure for this game at home tonight, and came out super flat. Not saying I would favor the Saints against the Colts, I won't. But it is a good bet that a better, looser team will show up in Miami.

They might play better next week, but it is in two weeks when it really matters.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #462
ColtCrazy
College Starter

If the Vikings had mad eit, I say Colts win no question. No, I'm not so sure. I could totally see either team winning this. I think it'll be a high scoring game though.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #463
QuikSand
lolzcat

Early line looks like Indy by 4.5, money line of +180 on the Saints. I think that's an overreaction to the shaky game from NO today, and that the money line there looks attractive.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #464
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993%E2...4_NFL_playoffs
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #465
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

The BCS will use this to show that playoffs are not necessary.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #466
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
They might play better next week, but it is in two weeks when it really matters.

Brees will look solid on the pro bowl sideline next week.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #467
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Brees will look solid on the pro bowl sideline next week.

But he will not be able to play, same for P.Manning.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #468
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If the Vikings had mad eit, I say Colts win no question. No, I'm not so sure. I could totally see either team winning this. I think it'll be a high scoring game though.

Where is the logic in this statement? To me, there was no doubt in my mind that the Vikings were the better team.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #469
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
But he will not be able to play, same for P.Manning.

Thats why I said sideline His standing form will be textbook.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #470
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
I am not a fan of the two week break. I rather have them come back Next Sunday and play.

They can use the time to rest. And it's better than college football and the gobs of time they wait.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #471
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Thats why I said sideline His standing form will be textbook.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #472
tarcone
Coordinator

Colts 42 Saints 21
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #473
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
ball on the ground
ball on the ground
looking like a fool with the ball on the ground

No love for this??
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #474
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Where is the logic in this statement? To me, there was no doubt in my mind that the Vikings were the better team.

The better team does not turn it over 50 times in teh NFC Championship game.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #475
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

what
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #476
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
what

There was a mysterious force working with the Saints the whole game, did you not see that? The invisible hand!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #477
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Just hit up NFL Shop for Drew Brees Super Bowl patch jerseys for the wife, the one year old and myself. I was at Purdue when he breathed life back into the program, have been a huge fan of his since then and, although I'm a Steelers fan, I would much rather have Drew get his shot. 2 weeks of waiting...and it'll be a great two weeks. I'm much more pumped up for this than any of the Steelers' Super Bowls (which I guess makes me a bad fan).
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #478
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to the Saints. I not convinced at all the better team won but its pointless to argue it now.

Between the fumbles which was the fault of the Vikings and the refs who had no balls it was a game that the Saints should have won. 3 of the worst officiating decisions I have ever seen since I started watching the NFL went against the Vikings in OT. They might as well just get rid of Instant Replay. Its a waste of time.

Never in a million years did I think Id cheer for the Colts in the Super Bowl against the Saints but after watching how dirty the Saints played today I have no choice. Between cheap shots on Favre and taking out his knees(which wasnt even a penalty???) I lost a lot of respect for how the Saints play.

Cant help but appreciate what Favre has done. He took so many hits today some of which were cheap shots and battled until the very end. He'd be the last guy Id put this loss on.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-24-2010 at 10:07 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #479
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Favre milking the knee trying to get another BS call to erase his interception.

Are you fucking retarded?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #480
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Congrats to the Saints. I not convinced at all the better team won but its pointless to argue it now.

Between the fumbles which was the fault of the Vikings and the refs who had no balls it was a game that the Saints should have won. 3 of the worst officiating decisions I have ever seen since I started watching the NFL went against the Vikings in OT. They might as well just get rid of Instant Replay. Its a waste of time.

Never in a million years did I think Id cheer for the Colts in the Super Bowl against the Saints but after watching how dirty the Saints played today I have no choice. Between cheap shots on Favre and taking out his knees(which wasnt even a penalty???) I lost a lot of respect for how the Saints play.

Cant help but appreciate what Favre has done. He took so many hits today some of which were cheap shots and battled until the very end. He'd be the last guy Id put this loss on.

lol. Minnesota must have had another feed of the game.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #481
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

I've already asked another poster what a diving defender is suppose to do, dive away from the QB even though he can't see if he still has the ball or not? But you don't seem capable of thinking logically right now. I'll just say that Favre has been playing football for most of his life, he doesn't need fans babying his well being by cheering against certain teams. Besides one play, Saints were hitting him a second after he released the ball, thats football.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #482
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

It's about matchups. I think the Colts matched up better with the Vikings than the Saints. Just a hunch, but it's how I feel.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #483
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I've already asked another poster what a diving defender is suppose to do, dive away from the QB even though he can't see if he still has the ball or not? But you don't seem capable of thinking logically right now. I'll just say that Favre has been playing football for most of his life, he doesn't need fans babying his well being by cheering against certain teams. Besides one play, Saints were hitting him a second after he released the ball, thats football.

I would not take anything the Viking fans say right now too seriously. Within a few days they will see things differently
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #484
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Thats not really the point. The rules were changed to eliminate defenders going for the QBs knees. Its not a rule based on what the intent was. If its a rule you have to call it. I didnt see Kevin Williams and Jared Allen going after Brees kneecaps.

Sharper got him late. They nailed him on a run play.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-24-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #485
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Thats not really the point. The rules were changed to eliminate defenders going for the QBs knees. Its not a rule based on what the intent was.

Just my opinion of course, but the Sharper hit was fine, he launched himself as Favre was getting rid of the ball. The running play hit was the one "dirty" hit I was alluding to there, no excuse for that one. Only one I saw where a Saints player tried to hit Favre when he didn't still have the ball leaving his hand.

But yes, no doubt the Saints wanted to hit Favre tonight, but that's the way football goes. I am sure Allen wanted to tear off a Brees leg to enjoy with his Mead or whatever crazy mofos like him do.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #486
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
lol. Minnesota must have had another feed of the game.

Care to explain?

Vikings arent in that game with Jackson as the QB. I thought Favre played damn good other than his last throw. A game is never decided on one single play FYI. Id say the 3 red zone fumbles had more to do with losing than the int.

The 3 plays in OT I am referring to are
1. The pass interfence call which was disgusting
2. Pierre Thomas has the 4th down run which apparently the ref didnt see him get the ball knocked lose. I can cut them some slack on that one because it was a bad angle and it wasnt real obvious either way but then we get to #3
3. The catch touched the ground and no way can they say he had possession before that so Im just confused as to why they have instant replay if they wont reverse calls in the biggest games of the year.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #487
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Am I the only one that noticed the hand pushing the Saints player into Brett Favre on that play? What's the guy supposed to do?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #488
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

They missed some holding calls against the Saints and Im sure they did against the Vikings which is fine atleast they were being consistent but the fact that 3 big calls went against the Vikings in OT just bothers me.

I guess its a reality check. Vikings will never win a Super Bowl as long as Im alive. Its always one thing or another. They are jinxed.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-24-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #489
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Lotta tears in New Orleans tonight. Unbelievable. When Hartley's kick went through, immediately people started pouring out of their homes, apartments, etc just screaming and high-fiving random people. People in cars honking, fireworks exploding... pretty much what I thought it would be like here if this ever happened. And the night is young. Crazy. I can't believe I finally get to experience something like this in the ol hometown.

Feels good. Saints actually didn't play particularly well tonight -- a gutty effort from a defense that consistently bends, and sometimes breaks, but has reliably forced tons of turnovers all season when healthy. Offense -- lotta tight sphincters out there on offense. Not a good effort -- definitely uncharacteristically playing not to lose, as somebody else said upthread. It wouldn't surprise me if they're a lot looser in the Super Bowl, actually. They looked like a team with the weight of the city on em tonight.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #490
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Favre made a bad throw at a bad time, but if anybody else in purple would have just held on to the ball they would have been running out the clock with at least a 6 pt lead.

It would be tough to go out with that being your last play, but the guy I saw in this game looked like a car running on fumes... you don't know when it's gonna run out, but you are just hoping there's enough to make it. Thanks Brett. Watching you play was fun.

As for OT. Hate it. I have said before that I think in order to avoid a great tie game being decided on a fluke play & FG just seems like we're being cheated. Adding one additional kickoff (and likely a possession) would make for a damn exciting ending.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #491
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just my opinion of course, but the Sharper hit was fine, he launched himself as Favre was getting rid of the ball. The running play hit was the one "dirty" hit I was alluding to there, no excuse for that one. Only one I saw where a Saints player tried to hit Favre when he didn't still have the ball leaving his hand.

But yes, no doubt the Saints wanted to hit Favre tonight, but that's the way football goes. I am sure Allen wanted to tear off a Brees leg to enjoy with his Mead or whatever crazy mofos like him do.

Fair enough. Im over reacting quite a bit right now. Its just sickening to have to watch the same story over and over with the Vikings. Kind of makes sense as to why so many older people in Minnesota dont watch them anymore. They cant deal with the constant letdown this team brings.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #492
RainMaker
General Manager

I actually thought New Orleans got the shaft from the refs till overtime when they were basically handed the game.

Still, Minnesota has no one to blame but themselves. They absolutely dominated New Orleans in regulation and penalties were heavily in their favor. 5 turnovers is why they lost, as well as the other fumbles that cost them field position and downs.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #493
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I actually thought New Orleans got the shaft from the refs till overtime when they were basically handed the game.

Even as a deliriously happy Saints fan, I admit the interference was a terrible call. I didn't think there was enough evidence to overturn the Thomas first down or the Meachem catch, but there was no interference on that play -- catchable or not. Like you said though, we were owed a few, so whatever. Nothing's dampening my mood tonight.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #494
remper
Mascot

Regardless of what calls were or weren't made against the Saints, really the underlying problem for the Vikings was 6 turnovers. No refs to blame that on...
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #495
Tigercat
College Starter

One really positive thing I have to say for the Vikings, their back 7 played lights out for them. (Aside from Pierre Thomas's run, which is just the kind of play he does well.) You would expect the DL to hold their own, but the Vikings LBs did a fantastic job in run support, and their DBs were hardly a weak spot tonight. Brees and the WRs were flat tonight, but the Vikings D played a big part in that too.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #496
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

After reading the last couple pages, I have two things to say.

Congrats Indy/Nawlins fans!

&

Thank god I don't have to listen to mauboy's homering anymore. Christ. For 20 years Vikes fans knew...KNEW that in crunch time Favre would turn it over. The selective amnesia had long since gotten old.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #497
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Vegas line is designed to draw equal action its not specifically set on who they think will win. With that said I think this line is pretty much spot on.(I might have went Saints -3 instead of -4)

And with the Saints defense. They do find ways to stop teams but it generally seems to me that it is the other teams stopping themselves by turning the ball over. I am not trying to take anything away from that style of defense because it can be successful but Im not sure you can count on the Vikings turning it over more than once or twice the way Favre has played this year.

A good prediction followed by a terrible prediction.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #498
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
After reading the last couple pages, I have two things to say.

Congrats Indy/Nawlins fans!

&

Thank god I don't have to listen to mauboy's homering anymore. Christ. For 20 years Vikes fans knew...KNEW that in crunch time Favre would turn it over. The selective amnesia had long since gotten old.

Its upsetting that they had to have the clusterfuck going on after the timeout which forced them to pass again in the first place. Even though I still cant believe he would have made that throw in that situation. Im cutting him some slack because of the pressure he felt all game but a 40 year old QB has to realize the situation.

Longwell had been clutch all year and anything from 52 in I would have felt very good about. It sounded on his presser that he wasnt even really sure what yard line they were at.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #499
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

The city of New Orleans as a whole, is very deserving of this wonderful moment.
Live it up Saints fans.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #500
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Two (plus) years ago Sharper got some of those same hits against Favre, bet you didn't care at all then huh?

Last edited by Cringer : 01-25-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote