Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #451
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm sort of tempted to pass on it since NBA 2K10 and FIFA look so good after I saw this bullshit.

Madden 10 DLC lets you buy injury healing, retirement prevention, 'Elite Status,' more

I mean you have to actually pay more to play All-Madden online? Has a sports game ever done that before?

You also have to pay to be able to reach your full potential in Superstar mode. To have scouting on certain players and a ton of other stuff. I didn't know this but this may sway me away from buying on principle.

I can understand DLC on certain things. If you want to throw old teams in there I understand. Maybe old stadiums. I could even see it for roster updates throughout the season. But basic features of the game becoming DLC is just a slap in the face to customers. I hope the game bombs again.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #452
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm sort of tempted to pass on it since NBA 2K10 and FIFA look so good after I saw this bullshit.

Madden 10 DLC lets you buy injury healing, retirement prevention, 'Elite Status,' more

I mean you have to actually pay more to play All-Madden online? Has a sports game ever done that before?

You also have to pay to be able to reach your full potential in Superstar mode. To have scouting on certain players and a ton of other stuff. I didn't know this but this may sway me away from buying on principle.

I can understand DLC on certain things. If you want to throw old teams in there I understand. Maybe old stadiums. I could even see it for roster updates throughout the season. But basic features of the game becoming DLC is just a slap in the face to customers. I hope the game bombs again.

I agree that it's incredibly annoying and shows a lack of respect to customers in a lot of ways, but if I do end up getting it, I'll be buying it for the offline franchise, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Just some food for thought though - Have you ever seen an industry where they don't escalate the cost of their product over the years? I remember back in the NES days, I believe I paid $50 for a game. It wasn't until the 360/PS3 were released that games started to cost $60. Now for the game companies, their costs increase across the board (i.e. rent, salary expense, etc) each year. Now some of these increases could be covered by increased volume, but if volume remains stagnant, they need some other new revenue streams to try and cover some of these costs.

I haven't been following it too closely, but EA is having some financial problems, correct? If so, maybe this is their desperate move on their end.

Not saying that I agree with their move, but just some thoughts.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #453
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Just when I was almost ready to pre-order I get scared away by the DLC EA is touting for this game. I'm now in the wait and see camp.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #454
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I agree that it's incredibly annoying and shows a lack of respect to customers in a lot of ways, but if I do end up getting it, I'll be buying it for the offline franchise, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Just some food for thought though - Have you ever seen an industry where they don't escalate the cost of their product over the years? I remember back in the NES days, I believe I paid $50 for a game. It wasn't until the 360/PS3 were released that games started to cost $60. Now for the game companies, their costs increase across the board (i.e. rent, salary expense, etc) each year. Now some of these increases could be covered by increased volume, but if volume remains stagnant, they need some other new revenue streams to try and cover some of these costs.

I haven't been following it too closely, but EA is having some financial problems, correct? If so, maybe this is their desperate move on their end.

Not saying that I agree with their move, but just some thoughts.

Prices went down in the switch to cartriges to CDs and DVDs since they were much cheaper to produce. I remember going to the store and seeing the SNES version of Street Fighter II retailing for $75 when it came out.

But I believe you're right in that EA hasn't been profitable for awhile.

I won't be buying at launch, if people are still high on the game a month after release maybe I'll get a used copy. The DLC stuff (when implemented as EA has done here) is the worst thing to be introduced in this generation of consoles imo.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #455
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It doesn't look like any of it will affect my offline franchise if I go that route. I am likely to play Superstar however, so I need to look more closely at that "Super Superstar" to see if it's a cheat (i.e. you just get full progression no matter what) or if it's required for typical gameplay (you can't get full progression no matter how well you play and/or do). If it's the latter I'll cancel my pre-order and put the money elsewhere.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #456
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I think most of technology and some entertainment is this way though. Movies for the most part at home are the same price or even cheaper. PPV hasn't gone up and DVDs are cheaper than most tapes. Electronics wise, computers are dirt cheap compared to where they were 10-20 years ago. I remember paying $1000 for a nice computer in 1999. Fast forward to 2007 and I got a solid computer with dual monitors for $800.

I think games have stayed the same for the most part because of the ease to produce and distribute, the growth of the industry, and the fact there is a lot more competition out there.

I'm more surprised that we haven't seen more variable pricing. Why should great games that had massive development teams like Bioshock, Fallout 3, and GTA not go for say $75? And shouldn't most sports games like Madden be like $25 since they're more or less just roster updates with tweaks? I always thought it was weird that a sports game that has a short development cycle and builds off the same platform as last years game goes for the same price as a completely new game that took years of development.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #457
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
It doesn't look like any of it will affect my offline franchise if I go that route. I am likely to play Superstar however, so I need to look more closely at that "Super Superstar" to see if it's a cheat (i.e. you just get full progression no matter what) or if it's required for typical gameplay (you can't get full progression no matter how well you play and/or do). If it's the latter I'll cancel my pre-order and put the money elsewhere.
Yeah, I think more details are needed on this.

I'm probably not going to bother out of principle. There are some good sports games out there like NBA 2K, NHL, and FIFA that I can focus my time on. Let Madden's sales tumble again.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #458
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

EA Sports is making me reconsider ever buying a game from them again. I already passed on NCAA and now Madden might be passed as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #459
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Picard is in there twice. Sheesh!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #460
TroyF
Coordinator

This is the first time in a long while the Madden team is actually trying to fix many of the issues the series has had.

I don't really understand the DLC debate to be honest. If you don't like it, don't use it. The only people this really affects are people who play all-madden in ranked games. That's a group I intentionally avoid under any circumstance. (I guess the one other area is if you use superstar mode and want to use any player)

I went to a Red Sox game a few weeks ago. The experience of a lifetime for me. After the cost of the ticket, they gouged me for everything they could. I spent a couple of hundred dollars in DLC that night. (including a tour after the game to go inside the monster)

Now, if the core game were altered, then I'd have a problem. I shouldn't buy the game and then have to buy the Pittsburgh Steelers as well. I shouldn't have to buy the option for incomplete passes. I don't see any of that here.If you aren't in the All-Madden ranked game crowd, everything else is just enhancers/cheats for personal use.

DLC away EA, as long as you keep trying to make the game better, I'll support that 100%. (hell, I may even buy one or two of the damned things. I like that injury healer thing. Once a year I'll jack up my guy on roids to help a player recover for a big game)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #461
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I noticed EF27 made a comment in another thread concerning problems with trade AI. I hadn't seen that mentioned, though I likely just didn't look in the right spot. Could someone catch me up on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I don't really understand the DLC debate to be honest. If you don't like it, don't use it. The only people this really affects are people who play all-madden in ranked games. That's a group I intentionally avoid under any circumstance. (I guess the one other area is if you use superstar mode and want to use any player)

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-10-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #462
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I noticed EF27 made a comment in another thread concerning problems with trade AI. I hadn't seen that mentioned, though I likely just didn't look in the right spot. Could someone catch me up on that?

It's in the HUGE impressions thread over at OS. Someone claims (and I have no reason to suspect that they were lying) that they traded Brian Westbrook for A.J. Hawk, some other young linebacker, and a 1st round pick.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #463
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I agree with Troy. As long as there is an option to turn off DLC in online dynasty/franchises, it really doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to picking this up on Friday.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #464
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It's in the HUGE impressions thread over at OS. Someone claims (and I have no reason to suspect that they were lying) that they traded Brian Westbrook for A.J. Hawk, some other young linebacker, and a 1st round pick.

I'll be honest, I don't know the overall rating of those players. You happen to know?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #465
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Dola -

I agree with Troy. As long as there is an option to turn off DLC in online dynasty/franchises, it really doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to picking this up on Friday.

That trade is horrible. Not sure if I 100% buy it. That said, I've yet to find a game with a 100% fair trade AI. (including the real NFL, if I'd found out the Broncos traded a first next year for a 5'9" corner in the game I'd be pissed, they did it in real life)

I just avoid the exploits, make fair trades and I'm ok.

I'm not expecting perfection like some people are. I'd settle for a fun game of football. Madden has been horrible since around the 2000 game. (which was incredibly underrated IMHO) Everything I've read thus far indicates it's going to be a better game. I'll own my copy on Friday to find out.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #466
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My copy should be here Friday (shipped from Amazon with Release-Day shipping, it better make it...) and I have a door being installed on Tuesday. I should have LOTS of impressions by Tuesday afternoon.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #467
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'll be honest, I don't know the overall rating of those players. You happen to know?

I don't know the others, but I think I read Westbrook is in the low 90's. Of course, he is about to be on the downside of his career and it sounds like the game doesn't take age into account assuming that trade really happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
That trade is horrible. Not sure if I 100% buy it. That said, I've yet to find a game with a 100% fair trade AI. (including the real NFL, if I'd found out the Broncos traded a first next year for a 5'9" corner in the game I'd be pissed, they did it in real life)

I just avoid the exploits, make fair trades and I'm ok.

I'm not expecting perfection like some people are. I'd settle for a fun game of football. Madden has been horrible since around the 2000 game. (which was incredibly underrated IMHO) Everything I've read thus far indicates it's going to be a better game. I'll own my copy on Friday to find out.

I agree 100% with you Troy. I just want a fun game that is in the realm of believability. I can easily avoid trade exploits. If the CPU drafts smarter (which early impressions indicate it does), signs FA smartly (which the early reports are also good for), and gives decent sim stats while being fun to play on the field, I'll be happy. I've been wanting a 3 day weekend where I didn't have any trips or other things to do for the last few months and I'm taking one this weekend. Looking forward to finding out the answer for myself to these issues on Friday.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #468
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Isn't today the day when the review embargo is lifted? I believe that's correct. If so, we'll get a lot of info today.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #469
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There's a pretty good offer from Sports Illustrated where you get 6 months of SI, Madden 10, and a John Madden DVD for $49. The catch is that the subscription auto-renews, so if you don't want it to do that, you have to make that change before the six months is up.

Madden 2010 | Sports Illustrated | DVD for only $49 . discount, special offer, promotion
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #470
DeToxRox
Head Coach

GameShark | Reviews | Madden NFL 10 Review

Abner gives it a good review.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #471
dervack
College Prospect

This past weekend, Microcenter was running a special on the 360 version. Preorder for 5 and you only pay 30 when you come back to pick it up.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #472
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
GameShark | Reviews | Madden NFL 10 Review

Abner gives it a good review.

Very balanced review. Loved reading this part about the draft (which I've read in the OS threads as well):

Offline franchise mode, a feature that has been in Madden for a decade or so, has always been a bit cookie cutter (to put it mildly). This is the first year that I can say that Madden’s Franchise mode is not an afterthought. It’s not hastily cobbled together in order to give you new players each year. This is a serious mode of play and EA obviously did a ton of work fixing the numerous issues that needed to be addressed.

The rookie draft is now full of surprises. In our test the Bears landed the best impact rookie – and he was a 2nd round selection. This is unheard of in Madden and makes this mode so much more enjoyable. You have draft busts and draft surprises – right down the line. In order to successfully draft you need to scout players during the season. I tried to draft without scouting – simply picking the players in the order they were listed – and my draft was absolutely loaded with terrible picks. It’s such a fantastic change of direction from previous games.

Player progression is much improved as well. I still wish older players would start to fall off a bit quicker, especially running backs, but no longer will the league be filed with 100 players rated over 90. Player progression is such a key part of any good franchise mode and Madden has finally cleared that hurdle.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #473
Kodos
Resident Alien

Very excited about this game. Come on, Friday! Get here already.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #474
Philliesfan980
Banned

If I go into my local Target when it opens on Friday, I should be able to snag a copy, right?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #475
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

I know most people are getting it for the 360 and PS3, but has anybody found a place where there are wii impressions? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #476
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I broke down and ordered the game. Was reading some of the Madden thread at OS and someone posted that Madden was shipping early from GoGamer. Took a chance and ordered it with overnight shipping and it paid off. Game will arrive tomorrow about 4:30pm. I was surprised this worked out after the FM fiasco last fall when they said they had FM on hand and out early in the US and it didn't happen.

$69(no sales tax) and change with overnight, not bad. If I bought the game at my nearest Wal Mart it would be $64 and change with sales tax plus gas and time to pick it up. Coming out about even on the deal. Either gogamer got shut down or it was a temporary offer because if you go there now it's listed as Aug 14th release.

Not sure how much I'll get to play as I have to be to work at 4:00 am on Wed. and I'm getting to old to pull all-nighters. Was looking forward to this weekend but that is now a no-go as my son called me (just as I got my shipping confirmation) and he got engaged while he and his girl were vacationing in California. So, Me and the Mrs will be heading to their house for a little celebration and Madden will not be invited

Also turns out newegg is shipping early but overnight is almost $80 but it's free shipping which normally comes in two days whenever I order from them and is guaranteed in three days IIRC. So if someone is looking for a good deal it's $56 at newegg with free shipping.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #477
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
If I go into my local Target when it opens on Friday, I should be able to snag a copy, right?

I was wondering the same thing for my local Best Buy. They should have millions of copies, right?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #478
Logan
Head Coach

Never have had a problem getting a new release at Best Buy. They usually just keep everything at the register.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #479
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The return of jbmagic?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #480
Philliesfan980
Banned

Seriously dude who is brassmonkey32
Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #481
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Some Best buy store locally have the game Madden 2010 on the xbox 360 to play only in the store on a nice HDTV. The game plays smooth.

You can change the game speed and there is an acceleration clock mode.

I going to wait to see what everybody first impression is on the franchise mode before getting the game.

Wow, they can get in big trouble from EA for having the game up early (unless they signed a deal with EA to do this.

Lots of promise with the game. I guess most of us only have 3 more days to wait
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #482
Kodos
Resident Alien

Brass monkey, that funky monkey.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #483
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Wow, they can get in big trouble from EA for having the game up early (unless they signed a deal with EA to do this.

Lots of promise with the game. I guess most of us only have 3 more days to wait
What's EA going to do to Best Buy? The company is losing tons of money and is going to play hardball with the largest electronics retailer in the country/
Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #484
Logan
Head Coach

IP check in aisle 32 please.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #485
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
What's EA going to do to Best Buy? The company is losing tons of money and is going to play hardball with the largest electronics retailer in the country/

And I am almost positive someplace was promoting the fact that they would have the game to play (not buy) like a day or two before hand. I can't remember where I saw that though...
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #486
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
EA could stop selling their games to Best Buy. Look at it from Best Buy's side. They don't want to be the one place where you can't get NCAA 2011 or Madden 2001 next year. Best Buy would be a laughingstock among gamers if that happened. I think EA really does have some leverage on this one.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #487
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
They don't want to be the one place where you can't get NCAA 2011 or Madden 2001 next year.

I see what you did there!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #488
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I see what you did there!
IT'S EA SPORTS. YOU KNOW THE GAME WILL TOTALLY REVERT AFTER ONE GOOD YEAR. RAWR EA SPORTS RAGE
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #489
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

How in the hell does the Madden series always drags me in? I played very little of 09 and told myself I'm going to wait a year or two to pick a new version but as time gets closer to release I need my fix and I want to buy 10. Damn EA!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #490
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously dude who is brassmonkey32

I think ol JB is back!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #491
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
I know most people are getting it for the 360 and PS3, but has anybody found a place where there are wii impressions? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Wii version still sounds very intriguing (can't believe it's enough to make me seriously consider buying a Madden game, but it is).

Nintendo World Report - Wii Review: Madden NFL 10

Last edited by MJ4H : 08-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #492
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Wii version still sounds very intriguing (can't believe it's enough to make me seriously consider buying a Madden game, but it is).

Nintendo World Report - Wii Review: Madden NFL 10

Thanks!!
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #493
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Some Best buy store locally have the game Madden 2010 on the xbox 360 to play only in the store on a nice HDTV. The game plays smooth.

You can change the game speed and there is an acceleration clock mode.

I going to wait to see what everybody first impression is on the franchise mode before getting the game.

How the AI?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #494
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How the AI?

Don't throw gas on the fire.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #495
bignej
High School JV

I got the game on the 8th. I will say the game play is the best I've seen in Madden and worlds better than NCAA. You can get pretty realistic stats with clock at 15 min and set it to burn 20 sec.

I use the Browns with Brady Quinn and it feels very realistic. I can't hit the broad side of a barn if I throw further than 10 yards.

There is one negative that is killing my motivation for offline franchise. During the season you conduct rookie scouting but can see the players potential. This pretty much gets updated if you scout them once. I scout every player in the draft pool prior to the off-season and write down all the players by position from highest to lowest potential (usually top 5-10 each). During the draft, many of these players are predicted to be drafted late. I've done 2 drafts and have seen it both times. For example in my last draft, I got the top(by alot) SS in the 5th round who was predicted to be picked in the 6th. 83 OVR with A Pot. I got the top DT with 76 OVR and A POT in the 6th. You can pretty much guarantee A potential by noting who the high potential guys are in the offseason. This may have been like that last year but didnt make it that far.

Another positive about gameplay is "fight for every yard" or whatever. Jamal Lewis will sometimes shake off multiple tacklers for a big gain and it is incredibly satisfying. Not like just running around the defense. When I play a tough defense, I can feel the difference.

Hell this is the first time I've played Madden this long since purchasing it lol.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #496
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Our local Wal-Mart is having a tournament Saturday morning. I entered 3 years ago and won it (got a $50 gift card). This time I think you get a gift card and a copy of the game. I'm going to give it a go to see if I can save some money since I am starting a 3 week stint without a paycheck thanks to a gap in our teacher contracts. I have $10 on a Gamestop preorder, but I'll try this first. I was told my the electronic manager that last year's tourney sucked, a bunch of teenage boys just dropping back and throwing bombs. Guess we'll find out if I'm truly over the hill or not!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #497
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Some early online franchise impressions:
hxxp://www.pastapadre.com/9945/early-madden-10-online-franchise-impressions

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 08-13-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #498
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post

Yikes that doesn't sound very good to me at all. I must have missed the part where the default game speed for Madden 10 was slow but the default speed for online dynastys was normal. That doesn't make any sense.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #499
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I want to know how no salary cap is going to work. Can you offer anyone whatever you want, or is there some other restriction? This could be like FOF2k4 staff hiring all over again...
Old 08-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #500
Kodos
Resident Alien

Very excited about the offline game, but online dynasty sounds like it needs another year before it will really be fun or full-featured.