Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #451
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You think he's joking? Expense is a major reason teams are reluctant to go to Hawaii for games.

The other primary factor is it's a classic "trap" game. You bring a bunch of kids over to the islands for a weekend for a game - you think some of them might not get distracted? And there's not a lot in it for teams that go there - beat them and it's mostly "so what"; lose and you put a massive dent in any national championship hopes.

That's pathetic. Any program with any balls...like...oh..USC goes in there regardless of anything, and puts a whoopin down. Any team that's afraid of going anywhere, anytime, doesn't have the goods.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #452
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Holy Cripes, that challenge took so long I think next years bowl teams already showed up for a game...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #453
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I do not think that it's a good idea to deny undefeated teams from mid-major conferences a slot in the BCS over a two or three loss BCS conference team.

And there's our fundamental disagreement I reckon.

Remember though, I've been a proponent of completely reorganizing college football for years now, starting with cutting the size of the highest division/level considerably.

The conversation in the booth a few minutes ago about the size of Hawaii's recruiting budget ($50k I believe they said) vs UGA's ($500k+) illustrates the point pretty well I think. A more apt comparison might have been that the budget for caring for UGA (the mascot) might well be larger than Hawaii's recruiting budget.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #454
st.cronin
General Manager

Does anybody know of a good place to see school's '08-'09 schedules?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #455
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Most every scout.com based school website has the school's football schedule for the next 3-5 years. I'm a Stanford guy, so I start at thebootleg.com, and then hit "college team directory". There is endless entertainment on college sports message boards.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #456
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hawaii looking good in postseason.

Brennan better schedule his draft day party for Sunday now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #457
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Off-hand, I don't think there all going to be out there yet (depending upon who has expiring contracts, etc).
Old 01-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #458
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It absolutely thrills me to see Hawaii getting thrashed. Many have said that they did not belong in a BCS bowl (Mizzou should have been in one) but you get their ignorant fans saying otherwise. Now we get 4 1/2 pages of stuff on the game and yet there are those still defending the choice?!?! Like someone said, Boise State last year was a fluke and when you get a team that could barely beat some pretty bad teams, it really comes down to the grownups telling the little kids to shut up. (checking the score again...). So there.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #459
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's pathetic. Any program with any balls...like...oh..USC goes in there regardless of anything, and puts a whoopin down. Any team that's afraid of going anywhere, anytime, doesn't have the goods.
The "trap game" think is secondary to the expense issue. Teams would be more willing to swap home and away series with Hawaii if it wasn't so expensive to play games at Hawaii. The fact that it's a "trap game" on top of the expense issue just makes it that much more difficult for an AD to justify scheduling it.

Main reason the UW was willing to go there was for recruiting purposes, since they recruit the islands pretty hard. Plus, from Seattle the expense of traveling to Honolulu isn't as bad as it would be from other parts of the country.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #460
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Hawaii's '08 schedule.

2008 Non-Conference Schedule: Aug. 30 at Florida
Sept. 6 Weber State
Sept. 13 at Oregon State
Nov. 29 Washington State
Dec. 6 Cincinnati
WAC Home Games: Idaho
Louisiana Tech
Nevada
San Jose State

WAC Away Games: Boise State
Fresno State
New Mexico State
Utah State
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #461
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Hawaii's '08 schedule.

2008 Non-Conference Schedule: Aug. 30 at Florida
Sept. 6 Weber State
Sept. 13 at Oregon State
Nov. 29 Washington State
Dec. 6 Cincinnati
WAC Home Games: Idaho
Louisiana Tech
Nevada
San Jose State

WAC Away Games: Boise State
Fresno State
New Mexico State
Utah State
Props to Hawaii - that's a far more respectable schedule than this year's.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #462
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Off-hand, I don't think there all going to be out there yet (depending upon who has expiring contracts, etc).

I realize that, I just figure there must be someplace where you can go peruse what's been confirmed.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #463
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

That's 13 games for Hawaii next year? I believe the NCAA limit is 12 regular season games.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #464
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
That's 13 games for Hawaii next year? I believe the NCAA limit is 12 regular season games.

Hawaii exemption.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #465
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

I caught that too, but it was released in a statement by the athletic department.

hxxp://www.kitv.com/newsarchive/14274647/detail.html
Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #466
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Hawaii exemption.

Thats right. Now the NCAA allows 12 Hawaii can play 13, correct?

I'm assuming this year they only played 12 because they had a difficult time filling their schedule?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #467
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Main reason the UW was willing to go there was for recruiting purposes, since they recruit the islands pretty hard.

This is also probably why USC chooses to go there once in a while. The number one player in next years class is from Hawaii and historically we have got a ton of players from there.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #468
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Thats right. Now the NCAA allows 12 Hawaii can play 13, correct?

I'm assuming this year they only played 12 because they had a difficult time filling their schedule?

Correct. When the NCAA increased the schedule to 12 games Hawaii's exemption was increased to 13. Problem was the only OOC game on the schedule was Mich St. and they pulled out meaning Hawaii had to find 4 opponents just to get twelve.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #469
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

You have to admire the Hawaii fans, going berserk on that touchdown.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #470
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Any Oklahoma fans have any input on how their defensive losses might affect the team in the Fiesta Bowl? I have heard that they have four starters out due to grades/discipline/injuries.

I think it's only three starters out. And it's really more like two.

Granger, the guy who stole the coat, is a DT and is a pretty good playmaker. The guy who will replace him in the lineup started all year last year though. This is a pretty big loss, but not as big as when Austin English was out toward the end of the regular season at DE because the DT rotation is deeper.

Reggie Smith is big loss at corner and is injured. He's the top corner on the team and a pretty strong force. He was also the return man, although I'm kind of happy to see someone else back there because he was always seemingly making bad decisions in the return game. Franks will replace him at CB and punt returner and is untested at CB.

Lendy Holmes, who is academically ineligible, was the Nickel Back. However, with Smith out, he was going to move to cornerback for the game, a position he played last season. Darrien Williams will be a solid replacement at NB as he has starting experience and a guy who Mel Kiper had as a top senior safety prior to the season.

Offensively DeMarco Murray is still out at RB, but he was out against Missouri and Patrick and Brown have played just as much and are very good runners, just not as elusive.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #471
SackAttack
Head Coach

That's a lotta class outta Georgia there. Up 41-10, less than 10 to go in the 4th quarter, going for the TD on 4th down.

SkyDog must be proud.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #472
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

So the announcers are condemning UGA for going for it on 4th and Goal from the 5. What should they have done, kicked the FG and ran up the score?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #473
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That's a lotta class outta Georgia there. Up 41-10, less than 10 to go in the 4th quarter, going for the TD on 4th down.

With Cox at QB, there's less of a chance of running up the score by going for it than by kicking a chip shot field goal.

edit: CU Tiger beat me to it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-01-2008 at 11:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #474
sooner333
College Starter

This is ridiculous. I don't think Georgia is doing anything wrong. You put your backups in, you can't tell them not to try. Going for it on 4th down is pretty normal when you have a large lead because you are letting the other team have a chance to stop you.

Last edited by sooner333 : 01-01-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #475
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, did anyone else think Brennan's reaction to the TD by his backup was less than optimal? Looked to me like he was a lot more upset by not being out there than he was happy for his teammate(s). Just sort of looked like a real "me first" moment there, which isn't consistent with the image he'd been portrayed with lately (the co-offensive player of the year stuff).
Old 01-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #476
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
So the announcers are condemning UGA for going for it on 4th and Goal from the 5. What should they have done, kicked the FG and ran up the score?

I don't have a problem with kicking the FG. You'd do it if it were 21-10 because the points might be critical. why in the hell does 41-10 mean it's okay to go for the touchdown?

I'm not a Hawaii fan, but I'm now at the point where I'd love to see UGA get beat down the way Nebraska got spanked by Kansas this year...and I'd like to see a shot at the end zone on 4th down inside the ten for the team delivering the beatdown.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And I'll be amazed if this doesn't get quite chippy down the stretch (actually, I'm pretty shocked it hasn't already).
Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #478
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I don't have a problem with kicking the FG. You'd do it if it were 21-10 because the points might be critical. why in the hell does 41-10 mean it's okay to go for the touchdown?

Because you don't need the 3 points and it's letting the other team have a chance to stop the backups from putting more on the board. I guess you could take a knee, but that's even more embarassing. They also could have run the football, but that might have been just as likely to score.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #479
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Agree with all of you...Jon, Sooner, CU Tiger.......go for it...keep laying it on the line and give the opposing team a chance to stop you. If they can't, then they can't. If you cry about that, then you shouldn't be playing a competitive sport.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #480
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Because you don't need the 3 points and it's letting the other team have a chance to stop the backups from putting more on the board. I guess you could take a knee, but that's even more embarassing. They also could have run the football, but that might have been just as likely to score.

Remember three years ago when OU was beating Texas A&M 77-0 midway through the 3rd quarter? When OU got close to the goal line, Bob Stoops ordered the running backs to fall down before they got to the line of scrimmage.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #481
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to Georgia, btw...they had a great season. I would have liked to have seen Hawaii make a game of it, but you can't blame Georgia for that.

Now we get a snoozer in Kansas/va Tech, and another snoozer in LSU/Ohio State. I'll watch anyway, which just means I'm pathetic.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #482
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Remember three years ago when OU was beating Texas A&M 77-0 midway through the 3rd quarter? When OU got close to the goal line, Bob Stoops ordered the running backs to fall down before they got to the line of scrimmage.

Which to me is twice as embarassing.
I mean really whast the difference between 77 and 84. However when a RB kneels on you, thats embarassing.

I agree you pull the starters and play the backups, but thats it. If your 2nds are that much better than their 1sts then so be it, score a few and put the 3rds in. Eventually you have to find a game, right?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #483
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Earlier when I said that the odds of scoring were less with Cox in at QB for Georgia, I really wasn't kidding.

He's completed less than half his passes this year, while Lumpkin has average just over 4 ypc in limited duty. Three straight passes by Cox seem quite a bit less likely to produce another touchdown than just pounding Lumpkin or the FB at Hawaii from the 5 yd line.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #484
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Which to me is twice as embarassing.
I mean really whast the difference between 77 and 84. However when a RB kneels on you, thats embarassing.

No, he actually told them to slip and fall down, but make it look good. I kid you not, one of the jackass defensive linemen for A&M started jumping up and down after 4th down, as if they had made a great goal line stand.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #485
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
No, he actually told them to slip and fall down, but make it look good. I kid you not, one of the jackass defensive linemen for A&M started jumping up and down after 4th down, as if they had made a great goal line stand.

I think Thompson kneeled on first down, then they realized that was pretty embarassing, so they did the everyone fall down move. Either way, A&M had given up when Fran told them to use a running clock. So whatever, get out of there unhurt if that's what you want to do--there's really no game when the other team stops trying. I probably would have tried to punch it in, but in that case, do whatever. Today, Hawaii was obviously trying--so give them a game...anything less and people risk greater injury.

BTW, funny story about that A&M game--I had heard that the only reason the FB carried the ball at all in that game (the FB never carries the ball at Oklahoma...at least not since Seth Littrell in 2000) was because Mike Stoops and Brent Venables took over offensive playcalling after it got to be 77-0.

Last edited by sooner333 : 01-02-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #486
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

I know some folks will sleep on WVU without Rodriguez, but I think the WVU-Oklahoma game will be the best BCS game. From all accounts that I have heard, the Mountaineers have had very good practice without Rodriguez and have kind of mellowed out, a bit (going from the very strict Rodriguez to a more player-friendly coach in Bill Stewart--which can sometimes do the trick for a struggling/uptight ballclub in the short term).

If nothing else, it would be great to see Bill Stewart coach this team to a win tomorrow. There's not a nicer or more down to earth guy in college football.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 AM   #487
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It absolutely thrills me to see Hawaii getting thrashed. Many have said that they did not belong in a BCS bowl (Mizzou should have been in one) but you get their ignorant fans saying otherwise. Now we get 4 1/2 pages of stuff on the game and yet there are those still defending the choice?!?! Like someone said, Boise State last year was a fluke and when you get a team that could barely beat some pretty bad teams, it really comes down to the grownups telling the little kids to shut up. (checking the score again...). So there.

I was all ready to make a post and then saw that Bucc already said it all.

What he said. It's absurd that there are still defenders out there. Yes, it was "inevitable" as many of us have been saying for months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #488
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
BTW the warriors will cover if not win the game outright.
O RLY?

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #489
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I was all ready to make a post and then saw that Bucc already said it all.

What he said. It's absurd that there are still defenders out there. Yes, it was "inevitable" as many of us have been saying for months now.

See, I don't get this. I am thrashed all the time because I am "hard" on U-M, the Packers, etc., but when others randomly hate on other teams, they have no vested interest in, it's cool.

I actually think it's lame to trash teams that you have nothing to do with (Patriots, ND, etc.) just because you want to them to fail, even though you have close connection with them. That, to me, is waaaaaaay more lame than the random U-M fan (puke) degrading everything OSU football does, even if they are succeeding.

I actually have no idea what my point was at this point. I basically hate everyone's team, so this is a stupid post.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 AM   #490
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
O RLY?

I thought this was the NBA basketball thread. I meant the golden state warriors

Oh well, my hatred of the SEC blinds me to realism at times.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #491
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
See, I don't get this. I am thrashed all the time because I am "hard" on U-M, the Packers, etc., but when others randomly hate on other teams, they have no vested interest in, it's cool.

I actually think it's lame to trash teams that you have nothing to do with (Patriots, ND, etc.) just because you want to them to fail, even though you have close connection with them. That, to me, is waaaaaaay more lame than the random U-M fan (puke) degrading everything OSU football does, even if they are succeeding.

I actually have no idea what my point was at this point. I basically hate everyone's team, so this is a stupid post.

You sure you aren't from Philly? I thought that was something reserved for Philly fans. I know i hate every team other then my own.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #492
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Yes, because those eligible 3 loss BCS teams that would be getting the shot instead regularly acquit themselves with glory. (Hi, Illinois! Howdy, 2006 Notre Dame!) Missouri, Florida? Ineligible. Go complain that they should let 3 teams in from a conference then. The other was, what, Boston College? They needed 4 turnovers from 7-5 Michigan State to hold on. Georgia and/or USC would have embarressed them, too. Arizona State? I think Texas is still scoring on them.

Hawai'i probably doesn't make it in a "normal" year. But since everyone else kept tripping over their own feet, you're stuck with them.

Last edited by bronconick : 01-02-2008 at 06:19 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #493
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

It's not so much a hatred for Hawaii as it is a hatred for the fact that a more deserving team doesn't get a shot.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #494
Schmidty
Coordinator

I am off tonight, and I messed up my punctuation and left out some important words such as "no" and "and" and etc. And. So take it with a grain of poop.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #495
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly, Michigan vs Florida will end up being the most exciting game of the bowl season. Nothing left seems that appealing at all.

Id argue some of the earlier bowls were more exciting, but they werent between traditional powers
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #496
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Yes, because those eligible 3 loss BCS teams that would be getting the shot instead regularly acquit themselves with glory. (Hi, Illinois! Howdy, 2006 Notre Dame!) Missouri, Florida? Ineligible. Go complain that they should let 3 teams in from a conference then. The other was, what, Boston College? They needed 4 turnovers from 7-5 Michigan State to hold on. Georgia and/or USC would have embarressed them, too. Arizona State? I think Texas is still scoring on them.

Hawai'i probably doesn't make it in a "normal" year. But since everyone else kept tripping over their own feet, you're stuck with them.

Oh, exactly. The reason I'm not getting on this "undeserving" bandwagon is because Georgia would have embarrassed the teams that would have gotten in if Hawai'i finished the year losing to Boise State. Because of the "only 2 teams per conference" rule neither Mizzou nor Florida makes it (well, good that Florida doesn't make it because that Michigan game was great and UM spanked them). Arizona State or BC would have been your choices. Yes, that ASU that got destroyed by Texas. And yes, that BC that barely could beat Michigan State.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #497
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Then why don't teams go to Hawaii and beat up on a supposed "patsy". I know that game weeks are mostly business, but I think any visiting player would favor looking at palm trees and sunshine rather than, say, Piscataway New Jersey.

You seriously underestimate how much visiting players enjoy eating Fat Bitches.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #498
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Although Mizzou would have obviously love to go to a BCS game, it looks as though the Cotton Bowl bid may have been a blessing in disguise for our program.

1. Game sold out in less than 24 hours, which should help our program next year when bowls consider our program.

2. Got a huge win which most analysts pointed to and said, "That team should have been in the BCS."

3. Texas is a big recruiting area for Mizzou. Several of the recruits that Mizzou is pursuing were at the game yesterday and recruiting sites are saying that Mizzou will land those recruits.

Always nice to end the season with a big win.

On a sidenote, Pat Summerall should be euthanized.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #499
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some more good stuff on the best bowl game to date.

p.s. Suck it haterz!

CAPITAL ONE BOWL -- MICHIGAN 41, FLORIDA 35
MICHAEL ROSENBERG: Hail to the victor! Carr rides off into retirement with bowl victory

The scene that inspired U-M to win it for Carr

January 2, 2008
BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

ORLANDO -- Lloyd Carr had coached 161 1/2 games at Michigan and had 1/2 left. His team, a double-digit underdog, led ninth-ranked Florida, 21-14, but the way this game was going, the lead was tenuous.
Carr told his Wolverines what he has told them, in some form, for 13 seasons. Win this game for each other. And that's when defensive coordinator Ron English stood up and did what assistant coaches are nerr supposed to do. He cut off the boss. "(Bleep) that!" English said, accroding to fellow assistant Fred Jackson. "We're doing it for Coach Carr!"

This was what Carr had resisted all year, when he did not even tell his own coaches he planned to retire, for fear it would distract them. Bo Schembechler had drilled it into everybody associated with U-M football for years: the team, the team, the team.

And here was Ron English, a Michigan assistant for five years, saying what nobody had said all week.

The Wolverines, senior safety Jamar Adams said, "went crazy."

And what did Carr think?

"It got half out of me to say, 'No,' " Carr said afterward. "But Ron's a great motivator. In some way, it meant a lot ... it was special."

The game was special, in a way that non-Bowl Championship Series games rarely are. U-M beat Florida, 41-35, Tuesday in the Capital One Bowl to send Carr off a winner, and to make a statement that badly needed to be made. As recruiting coordinator Chris Singletary, a former player, said in the victorious locker room:

"We're still Michigan."

Still Michigan. U-M was supposed to have no chance in this game, yet the Wolverines clearly outplayed Florida. They outgained the Gators, 524 yards to 399. They finished with the same record as the Gators: 9-4. And they won in a manner that, frankly, has not been seen from this program much lately.

The Wolverines beat a spread offense. They beat a running quarterback. They ran plenty of reverses and misdirection plays -- the kind that have been missing for much of this season.

They committed four turnovers and still won. They committed eight penalties, including a couple of remarkably dumb ones. Senior Mike Hart, who had not lost a fumble in more than 1,000 touches, lost two.
"If we would have lost, it would have been nobody's fault but mine," Hart said. "It would have been on my back."

Why did they win it? As quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler said in the press box elevator, the victory in hand, "we're a pretty good team when we're healthy."

Senior Chad Henne, finally recovered from his separated shoulder, completed 25 of 39 passes for 373 yards and three touchdowns. He did throw two interceptions, although one was on a batted pass. Hart, who battled an ankle injury all season, ran for 129 yards and two touchdowns.
Many fans will wonder what would have happened if Michigan had players like this all year. The Wolverines will look at it as proof that they are the team they always believed they could be.

Beating the defending national champions and Heisman-winning quarterback Tim Tebow, in what basically amounted to a road game, was the most rewarding victory of their lives. They sent their coach out with the knowledge that Michigan had not fallen nearly as far as people said.
"It's emotional because this is the last time this coaching staff is going to be together, this team is going to be together," senior captain Shawn Crable said. "So what is our legacy for this team? What will people say when they look at pictures, when they look at banners, when they look at things that say we were in this bowl ... what are they gonna think about?"

The naked truth

How giddy were the Wolverines? In the postgame locker room, as Carr got ready to address his team, a chant broke out:

"Lloyd -- take off your clothes! Lloyd -- get naked!"

And I thought: All these years, Carr wouldn't let reporters in the locker room. I didn't realize how lucky we were.

Thankfully, mammoth offensive lineman Jake Long, perhaps fearing that Carr would oblige, started the more traditional "It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine!" chant. They then segued into a different take on the "Rocky" chant: "Lloyd! Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd! Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloooooooooyd."

And then Carr gave the last postgame speech of his coaching career.
He talked about the talk that 1969 captain Jim Mandich had given the night before. Mandich recalled his words for me Tuesday night. An excerpt:

"I made my vows to the University of Michigan in the spring of 1967, without qualification. Although we are separated by four decades ... we are brothers."

Mandich was the captain of the 1969 team that sprang the famous 24-12 upset on No. 1 Ohio State, starting a 38-year era of basically uninterrupted success. He sent his son Mike to play for Carr. So he knows Michigan tradition.

While many U-M fans moaned about the loss to Appalachian State and 8-4 season, Mandich saw something else. He saw a team that was embarrassed in its first two games and came back to contend for a Big Ten title.

"A lot of teams would have cracked," Mandich said. "They just didn't allow it."

Mandich, who lives in Florida, talked about Urban Meyer's reputation as the "genius coach" and the Gators' standing as "the hip and the cool" of college football.

Michigan, Mandich knows, has not been hip or cool in at least a half-century. Hip and cool were never goals.

Mandich said he was "dizzy" before the speech because he was worried he'd mess up. No worries, Jim. The players and coaches loved every word.
"That's what the tradition is here," Carr told his team. "It's not just the team that's playing. Every guy that wore that uniform, every guy that played here. They care."

The pressure to win

A few months ago, I participated in a forum at the University of Michigan about athletes as role models. One member of the panel gave a long talk about how college athletes are viewed as pillars of the community.
When the forum was opened up for audience participation, a young man asked for the microphone.

"When I was being recruited," Jamar Adams said then, "and coaches were in my living room, they didn't talk about being pillars of society. They talked about winning the national championship."

This team never did it. Until Tuesday, these seniors were 0-3 in bowls, and they will forever be 0-4 against Ohio State. Adams has been a pillar of the community, but some fans will define him by that record.

I asked Adams if the criticism can be disillusioning.

"When you put this uniform on, you understand the tradition," Adams said. "There were 127 teams before this one. Whatever you have to deal with to wear this uniform, you deal with. When we lose, they're gonna harass us. When we win, they're gonna harass us -- they're gonna say we didn't win (by) enough. It's what you take when you come to this school.

"Coach Carr understands that. We all understand that. You want to win, but you want to win the right way. ... He's a father figure to me. Under all the stress, he keeps his character."

Long after the game ended, with the buses running, Lloyd Carr emerged from the locker room for the last time. His tie was hanging around his head. He had a lit cigar in his hand.

How long had he been saving the cigar?

He smiled.

"I'm trying to quit," he said.

He just did that, of course.

Some day, they might wish he hadn't.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #500
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Spare me. Everyone was pushing him out the door, and now you wanna rep that bullshit? Were you calling for his job to saved, or even for people to stop being hard on him? If so, I'll back off. If not, this sounds like someone co-opting something they had no belief in. Like Rudy's parents from that one movie...I think it was called...Rudy?

I never called for Lloyd Carr to be fired. Ever. So, back off, suckah! Lloyd Carr did a lot of great things for the school. Was it time for a change? Yeah, I think it was, but I wasn't one crying out for it. It was a great game and wonderful to see a classy, good man go out on top.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote