Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #451
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
It's great that the Rangers signed these guys and have all this offensive power, but who besides Michael Roszival is going to play defense for them. I hope Lundquist has a nice rest this offseason because he could be facing a lot of shots come this winter.

Well, if Marc Staal has half the year his younger brother had, they've got one other.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #452
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I can't believe more people aren't talking about the Avs signings. Smyth is a ridiculous fucking bargain.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #453
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
I can't believe more people aren't talking about the Avs signings. Smyth is a ridiculous fucking bargain.

While I am sure I may get some criticism for this, I still don't think Smyth is worth all the hype. Yes, he is a character guy, a real warrior and a true leader, I acknowledge that, but he's never even scored 80 points in a season. He's a complimentary player, not a superstar, but you wouldn't know that by the knob job is consistently gets.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #454
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
While I am sure I may get some criticism for this, I still don't think Smyth is worth all the hype. Yes, he is a character guy, a real warrior and a true leader, I acknowledge that, but he's never even scored 80 points in a season. He's a complimentary player, not a superstar, but you wouldn't know that by the knob job is consistently gets.

Gomez has (barely) broken 80 once; Drury has never broke 70.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #455
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

DeToxRox I totally agree with you. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one that thought it wasn't that great of a signing.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #456
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Gomez has (barely) broken 80 once; Drury has never broke 70.

I was going to post that what is said above goes for Gomez and Drury as well. The only signing I think was impressive was Joe Thornton extending his deal for so cheap. That was the move of the off-season thus far.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #457
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Montreal Canadiens have signed unrestricted free-agent defenceman Roman Hamrlik to a four-year contract worth $22 million.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #458
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Todd Bertuzzi is re-uniting with Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke, signing a two-year, $8-million deal with the Ducks.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #459
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The LA Kings have now signed: Tom Preissing, Ladislav Nagy, Michael Handzus and Kyle Calder
Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #460
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also, anyone know of anything to the rumors that Edmonton is going to sign Parise to an offer sheet?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #461
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The LA Kings have now signed: Tom Preissing, Ladislav Nagy, Michael Handzus and Kyle Calder

...and still have Dan Cloutier.

I don't get LA signing all these guys, they'll have Jack Johnson, bring back Blake, Visnovsky, Kopitar, Cammaleri, Frolov...and will still give up 4+ a game.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #462
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also, anyone know of anything to the rumors that Edmonton is going to sign Parise to an offer sheet?

Hadn't heard that yet...but NJ has tons of room now to match it.

Flames sign Owen Nolan, 1 yr $2M
And the Flames pull close with SJ and the Joe Thornton extension.

Robyn Regher signs 5 year/ $20M extension. Regher at $4M is a bargain now, and even more in 5 years.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #463
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

go ahead. we're 20m under the cap. itd be nice to finally lock up a young devil to a longterm deal, maybe itll just take another gm negotiating it for us
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #464
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
go ahead. we're 20m under the cap. itd be nice to finally lock up a young devil to a longterm deal, maybe itll just take another gm negotiating it for us

That's what I am thinking. Looking at how close to the vest Lou is playing it, having someone else do his dirty work for him may be a welcome departure.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #465
bbor
Pro Starter

Owen Nolan is still playing?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #466
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

More nuggets

Radek Bonk, Jed Ortmeyer and Greg deVries to Nashville

Bryan Smolinski to Montreal

Robert Lang to Chicago

Ken Klee to Atlanta
Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #467
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

and that's really why he looks to be a perfect fit for the Avs. This team scored 272 goals last year (tied for Nashville for tops in the West) and is essentially just losing Brett McLean's 35 points. They had a great season from Paul Stastny last year, and a decent one from Wojtek Wolski - adding Smyth takes a bit of pressure off them to have the same production, while giving them another good locker room mentor. He won't have to be a superstar, and, honestly, I think if he'd gone somewhere where he'd be expected to carry the load, it wouldn't have worked out.

Colorado generally plays a behind the net, cycling game, and Smyth seems like he'll fit in perfectly in that system. And the grit he (and Hannan) brings is a huge plus to a team not known for that. Yes, it's a lot of money, but the Avs have the room (they are still a good $7 million under...talk is they are saving money to bring in Forsberg or perhaps a goalie later in the season) and the deep pockets. Compared to some of the other deals, he seems undervalued to me (supposedly, he turned down more money from a couple other clubs, and I'm assuming the Avs wouldn't offer him more than Sakic's 6.75). He could potentially be the captain if Sakic ever retires, will have just turned 36 when his contract runs out, and we'll get to take him to Edmonton at least 20 times before the end of the contract. I'll take that.

On paper, Colorado is looking pretty good so far - they had a lot of dead weight clearing out this year (Brisebois, Turgeon, dead cap room from old bonuses to Blake and Sakic) and have brought back almost everyone while adding an impact forward and a solid defenseman (two if you count Jordan Leopold). Defense is still a bit unsettled (not really sure where everyone is going to play) and goaltending is going to be an adventure.

But, after two consecutive summers of watching other teams get better, this has been fun.

crap, that was long.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 07-02-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #468
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Lang to Chicago

I'm not sure I can imagine a worse signing.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #469
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
and that's really why he looks to be a perfect fit for the Avs. This team scored 272 goals last year (tied for Nashville for tops in the West) and is essentially just losing Brett McLean's 35 points. They had a great season from Paul Stastny last year, and a decent one from Wojtek Wolski - adding Smyth takes a bit of pressure off them to have the same production, while giving them another good locker room mentor. He won't have to be a superstar, and, honestly, I think if he'd gone somewhere where he'd be expected to carry the load, it wouldn't have worked out.

Colorado generally plays a behind the net, cycling game, and Smyth seems like he'll fit in perfectly in that system. And the grit he (and Hannan) brings is a huge plus to a team not known for that. Yes, it's a lot of money, but the Avs have the room (they are still a good $7 million under...talk is they are saving money to bring in Forsberg or perhaps a goalie later in the season) and the deep pockets. Compared to some of the other deals, he seems undervalued to me (supposedly, he turned down more money from a couple other clubs, and I'm assuming the Avs wouldn't offer him more than Sakic's 6.75). He could potentially be the captain if Sakic ever retires, will have just turned 36 when his contract runs out, and we'll get to take him to Edmonton at least 20 times before the end of the contract. I'll take that.

On paper, Colorado is looking pretty good so far - they had a lot of dead weight clearing out this year (Brisebois, Turgeon, dead cap room from old bonuses to Blake and Sakic) and have brought back almost everyone while adding an impact forward and a solid defenseman (two if you count Jordan Leopold). Defense is still a bit unsettled (not really sure where everyone is going to play) and goaltending is going to be an adventure.

But, after two consecutive summers of watching other teams get better, this has been fun.

crap, that was long.

I can whole heartedly agree with what you said, and from that perspective it's a great signing. In general I just mean Smyth as only the player is not worth the hype he is getting though I fully expect him to get his first 80 point year this season assuming the team stays healthy.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #470
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings RFA Jiri Hudler is being rumored about going back to his Russian club for 1-2 million. A lot of Wings fans love the kid, I am not a big fan. I think losing him is no big loss with Kopecky and Grigorenko around, but this is how the FA in the NHL these days works. They'll take the money wherever its offered, even across the pond.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #471
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I can whole heartedly agree with what you said, and from that perspective it's a great signing. In general I just mean Smyth as only the player is not worth the hype he is getting though I fully expect him to get his first 80 point year this season assuming the team stays healthy.

if Andrew Brunette can get 83 playing with Sakic...

actually, in all seriousness, I think the important stat for Smyth is goals, not points. If he can pop in 30 goals, it's a good deal, and 40 should be in his radar.
assuming the 2nd most important stat for Smyth is good...games played.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #472
Karim
College Starter

In Sutter We Trust.

Getting Regehr to sign a $20 million/5 year extension means he's locked up for the next 6 years at $22 million.

Iginla re-signs a 5 year deal worth $35 million.

Now Kipper and Phaneuf and the core is locked up. Getting all this done is far better than signing UFAs.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #473
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

At $4 million a year to boot.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #474
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Which is really depressing considering Bertuzzi was had for that exact same price and looks like a bargain.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #475
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Think Bryan Mccabe.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #476
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I realize Bertuzzi is much hated and coming off a massive injury year, and Schneider is a shell of what Niedermayer is. So all in all Selanne-Nieds much better than Bertuzzi-Schneider.

But all that said, I am surprised there isn't more venom being directed at the champs for essentially sneaking in and taking one of the top available vet defenders and a former star winger in the first two days (and after inking the top projected free agent goalie to an extension just before free agency).

The Ducks, who still likely have Bobby Ryan coming in next year, too, are looking primed for a very competitive defense of their title.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #477
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ryan could definitely be the key - assuming Selanne isn't coming back there is a big void for a fast, skillful, pure offense guy. Bertuzzi obviously isn't the same kind of player - I think a combination of Perry and Ryan playing with McDonald on the top line, with Bertuzzi slotting into Perry's position on a huge second line with Getlaf and Penner could work really nicely. Alternatively, keep the second line the same and put Bertuzzi on the top line - I'm worried that is going to slow the McDonald line down quite a bit though.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #478
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ryan could definitely be the key - assuming Selanne isn't coming back there is a big void for a fast, skillful, pure offense guy. Bertuzzi obviously isn't the same kind of player - I think a combination of Perry and Ryan playing with McDonald on the top line, with Bertuzzi slotting into Perry's position on a huge second line with Getlaf and Penner could work really nicely. Alternatively, keep the second line the same and put Bertuzzi on the top line - I'm worried that is going to slow the McDonald line down quite a bit though.

I actually think they might move Marchant to the top line, and slide McDonald back to wing, with Kunitz on the other side. It's too small, though, but it would be very fast. That would allow them to keep the PPG line together, and to keep Ryan on a pressure-free fourth line spot. I can see Bertuzzi pairing with Pahlsson and Rob Niedermayer to be a nice offensive checking line. Moen is still around, too.

I'm not too worried that the staff will find a good way to mix and match the talent.

Now if Teemu comes back...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #479
bhlloy
Coordinator

I thought Moen was one of our top 3 forwards in the playoffs. I would hate to see that line broken up. Bertuzzi has to go somewhere though - and on paper Moen seems to be the weak link. I also think Ryan has way too much talent to not be on the top 2 lines by mid-season.

If Selanne comes back, I think Kunitz could wind up on the trade block - as good as he is. His value is sky-high and somebody has to be the odd man out.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #480
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I thought Moen was one of our top 3 forwards in the playoffs. I would hate to see that line broken up. Bertuzzi has to go somewhere though - and on paper Moen seems to be the weak link. I also think Ryan has way too much talent to not be on the top 2 lines by mid-season.

If Selanne comes back, I think Kunitz could wind up on the trade block - as good as he is. His value is sky-high and somebody has to be the odd man out.

We'll see. I tend to think the PPG line and Kunitz are likely locks to stay because of their relative youth. Plus, you have to remember not all rookies are like Malkin and Crosby and Ovechkin (not that I think you really forgot). Ryan might get thrust into a top six spot on some other teams, with his talent, but on this team, no way he breaks into Top Six. We're too strong up front. I don't see Ryan in our top six forwards for his first two years of NHL hockey.

Let's say Teemu is gone, and assume PPG won't get blown up. My guess is the lines will look like this:

McDonald (sliding to wing)--Niedermayer--Kunitz

Niedermayer is fast enough to stay with McD and Kunitz, and could enjoy a rejuvenation of his offensive abilities with linemates like them.

Penner--Getzlaf--Perry

My guess is Getzlaf will be the second best forward on the team, and only on line two because of his chemistry with Penner and Perry.

Bertuzzi--Pahlsson--Moen

Teams will be a little afraid to play this line, which is big, a little mean and much stronger offensively than most checking lines.

Thug (May/Parros)--Marchant--Ryan

Marchant will be the steadying center influence on Ryan, and the enforcer will make sure no one screws with the kid.

On the backline, of course...

Pronger--Beauchemin
Schneider--O'Donnell
Huskins and who knows...(hopefully we bring back DiPenta or Jakman or give a good kid a shot here).

I think Bryz will be dealt for cap room, and Heller will be our backup goalie, or one of our kids in the minors.

If Teemu does come back, Neidermayer goes back to a third line wing spot, with McD back at center. Moen probably drops to Marchant--Ryan line.

All guesses, of course.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #481
bhlloy
Coordinator

Who knows? Some good thoughts in there. Moen won't be the toughest player on the ice unless Brian Burke has changed his whole philosophy. I very much doubt May will be either unless we are playing Detroit or Bertuzzi or Pronger are going to drop the gloves a lot more. Another reason I don't like the O'Brien trade - he was a legit fighter against all but the Boogards and the Laraques and could actually take a regular shift as well.

Aaron Rome might get a shot at the 6th/7th defenseman spot although I wasn't impressed with his limited time at the end of this season. I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Jackman back in that spot for the right price.

I do have very high expectations for Ryan. Physically he's well developed, he hasn't been rushed through juniors, and looked really impressive in the AHL for 10 games last year. If he gets the ice time, I think he's going to do very well.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #482
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Huskins and who knows...(hopefully we bring back DiPenta or Jakman or give a good kid a shot here).

Never thought I'd see someone who wanted Ric Jackman back
Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #483
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The beat goes on...

Both Calder and Lang were gone the moment the season ended. As baffling as it all was, Calder was a healthy scratch by the Western Conference finals. It's unclear what happened, but it was clear he was not producing. The Wings decided to go with a rookie (Kopecky) who hadn't played since mid-December instead of dressing Calder. I am pretty surprised he was able to turn such a poor year into a 2 year, $5 million deal. The owners rock!

Lang wont be missed. At all. He's a great guy but all accounts, but frustrating to watch play. He can produce, but never seems to be giving any effort and makes a ton of bad plays.

I can't blame Holland for not signing Bertuzzi to a 2 year, $8 million deal. He had some flashes of his former self, but just flashes. That's a lot of cash for a gamble and if he's still fragile, 2 years is a while.

Losing those three guys means Detroit is very small up front, even more so than usual. While Lang wasn't physical at all, he was a big fella. Bertuzzi is huge and Calder (apparently) had grit. The Wings are sorely lacking in size up front. They will need to address this, but I have no idea how. Guerin? Zubrus?

All is well since we have Dan Cleary. He's pretty much unstoppable and, after losing those guys, he's pretty much our most physical forward. Dan Cleary for MVP!

I too am surprised Owen Nolan is still in the league.

Hamrlik for $5.5 a season for 4 seasons??? Sweet jeebus. That's ridiculous. If you are a living, breathing defensemen in this league you can make $2 million, easy. $5.5? He was not that good in the series in Detroit. A panic move by Montreal there.

Nylander for $5 million a year is too much. He's a good player, but his numbers were inflated a bit playing with Jagr. He may be a good fit for Ovechkin.

Based on what we've seen to date, the smart strategy really seems to be: sign your own guys before they become free agents. Looking at the Hemsky, Datsyuk, Thornton, Regehr, Iginal, and other deals, you tend to get much, much better value than trying to sign players from other teams. Buffalo could have and should have done this with Drury and Briere. They screwed up on that one.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #484
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

5.5 for Hamrlik? that's crazy.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #485
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Was Owen Nolan still in Phoenix last year? Phoenix is the black hole of the NHL. The Coyotes could dress Jari Kurri every night and nobody would even notice. I've liked Owen Nolan for a long time. I'm glad that he's finally out of the black hole and onto a real hockey team again.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #486
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Was Owen Nolan still in Phoenix last year? Phoenix is the black hole of the NHL. The Coyotes could dress Jari Kurri every night and nobody would even notice. I've liked Owen Nolan for a long time. I'm glad that he's finally out of the black hole and onto a real hockey team again.

Yeah, it definitely is a black hole. I remember going to Capitols/Coyotes game a few years back. We had great seats, about 4 rows up from the visitors bench. I felt a disturbance in the Force, a dark chill run through my body. I didn't know why until I looked down the bench and saw Claude Lemieux there. I had no idea he was in Phoenix. It was very unsettling.

Back to Nolan, the Wings tried to make a deal for him at the deadline, but he refused, saying he liked it in Phoenix. I guess he changed his mind.

With Bertuzzi gone...

Here is a list of UFA Forwards still available:
Danius Zubrus / 6-4 / 225
Eric Lindros / 6-4 / 240
Jason Allison / 6-3 / 215
Brendan Shanahan / 6-3 / 218
Alexi Yashin / 6-3 / 225
Ruslan Fedotenko / 6-2 / 195
Bill Guerin / 6-2 / 210
Anson Carter / 6-1 / 210
Jeff O’Neill / 6-1 / 195
Peter Forsberg / 6-0 / 205
Mike Peca / 5-11 / 190
Slava Kozlov / 5-10 / 190
Mike Comrie / 5-10 / 185

None of those goes really does much for me (other than Shanny who is definitely not coming back) and the "bigger" guys don't necessarily have too much of the ole grit/toughness factor anymore. At the right price, maybe, but those are really some slim pickins.

Lindros, Allison, and Forsberg are all massive injury risks.

Yashin is, well, Yashin.

I've never been a big Fedotenko fan for no reason other than I am not. There are just a few guys out there who, for some reason, I never really feel all that confident in. I group them all together. It's guys like Vaclav Prospal, Fedotenko, Zednik, and some others.

Peca is coming off a serious injury and is a risk.

O'Neill fell off the face of the planet, as did Anson Carter.

Zubrus and Guerin will almost certainly command more than what the Wings would be willing to offer. Same with Kozlov and Comrie most likely.

Well, I wonder if there is some veteran forward in Sweden Holland et al can unearth. Let's hope so.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #487
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't wish the signing of Eric Lindros to any team...ok that's a lie...I think the Devils should sign him
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #488
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wonder what Sheldon Souray is up to...

for whatever reason, I could totally see Yashin ending up in Detroit.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #489
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
for whatever reason, I could totally see Yashin ending up in Detroit.

Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta. Nomegusta.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #490
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The beat goes on...

Both Calder and Lang were gone the moment the season ended. As baffling as it all was, Calder was a healthy scratch by the Western Conference finals. It's unclear what happened, but it was clear he was not producing. The Wings decided to go with a rookie (Kopecky) who hadn't played since mid-December instead of dressing Calder. I am pretty surprised he was able to turn such a poor year into a 2 year, $5 million deal. The owners rock!

Lang wont be missed. At all. He's a great guy but all accounts, but frustrating to watch play. He can produce, but never seems to be giving any effort and makes a ton of bad plays.

I can't blame Holland for not signing Bertuzzi to a 2 year, $8 million deal. He had some flashes of his former self, but just flashes. That's a lot of cash for a gamble and if he's still fragile, 2 years is a while.

Losing those three guys means Detroit is very small up front, even more so than usual. While Lang wasn't physical at all, he was a big fella. Bertuzzi is huge and Calder (apparently) had grit. The Wings are sorely lacking in size up front. They will need to address this, but I have no idea how. Guerin? Zubrus?

All is well since we have Dan Cleary. He's pretty much unstoppable and, after losing those guys, he's pretty much our most physical forward. Dan Cleary for MVP!

I too am surprised Owen Nolan is still in the league.

Hamrlik for $5.5 a season for 4 seasons??? Sweet jeebus. That's ridiculous. If you are a living, breathing defensemen in this league you can make $2 million, easy. $5.5? He was not that good in the series in Detroit. A panic move by Montreal there.

Nylander for $5 million a year is too much. He's a good player, but his numbers were inflated a bit playing with Jagr. He may be a good fit for Ovechkin.

Based on what we've seen to date, the smart strategy really seems to be: sign your own guys before they become free agents. Looking at the Hemsky, Datsyuk, Thornton, Regehr, Iginal, and other deals, you tend to get much, much better value than trying to sign players from other teams. Buffalo could have and should have done this with Drury and Briere. They screwed up on that one.

The Pens will send you Ryan Malone...what can we get back?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #491
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I wouldn't wish the signing of Eric Lindros to any team...ok that's a lie...I think the Devils should sign him
Ouch.

Quote:
wonder what Sheldon Souray is up to...
Hmmm... the Devils need a defenseman... and Sheldon Souray did play for the Devils once upon a time...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #492
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Ouch.

Hmmm... the Devils need a defenseman... and Sheldon Souray did play for the Devils once upon a time...

not a Devils-type player. (his salary requirements are above $1 million)
Old 07-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #493
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
The Pens will send you Ryan Malone...what can we get back?

Unless the Islanders are moved to the Central Division (they would fit right in with the rest of the talent-barren teams), I don't think the Wings would be all that interested.

So, I dunno, maybe Dimitri Bykov? I think the Wings still have his rights, though he's pretty much determined to stay in Russia.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #495
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Nylander is front loaded as well, so he's moveable in the last season or two if necessary.

The cap number is the average of the entire deal not what the player makes per year. So if he gets 10 mil for the first and 2 mil for the second, his cap number is &6 mil even if he is traded.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #496
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
I'll take Nylander, Ovechkin, Kozlov on the first line with Backstrom, Semin, Clark on line two very much thank you. Adding Poti to the D also helps, and with about 15 young D to trade for a legit #1 or #2 D, the Caps may be relevant again this year. Nylander is front loaded as well, so he's moveable in the last season or two if necessary.

Don't get me wrong, both Nylander and Kozlov are upgrades over whomever they are replacing in the Caps' line-up. The Caps are one talent-deprived team and they desperately need some skill players to go along with Ovechkin and Semin upfront. Nylander is a very good player (I am not sold on Kozlov), but I think the Caps over paid for both of them. Poti too. Then again, you can pretty much say that about almost any free agent who has been signed to date.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #497
Logan
Head Coach

Poti is a god awful defenseman. He shouldn't have a job.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #499
Pyser
Pro Rookie

devs signed zubrus to a 6 year deal. cripes man. i hope not for more than $20m total!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #500
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola, rumors also say the devs signed rachunek on d, 1 yr, 1.5m

Last edited by Pyser : 07-03-2007 at 02:45 PM.