Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #451
SFL Cat
College Starter

That'll probably be his next commercial.

Old Scratch -- see ya in six years, Manning.

Manning -- (cradling his Lombardi) *winks*

Last edited by SFL Cat : 02-04-2007 at 09:59 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #452
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not going to read this entire thread, but in case no one said it, let me...

That Hayden dude's agent just got a call from Al Davis.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #453
SackAttack
Head Coach

Y'know, I never really looked at it as "God hit this home run," or "God made my feet come down in-bounds," quite so much as "God gave me these talents and has put me in a position to use them."

Or, in Tony Dungy's case, I'd imagine his faith had quite a lot to do with being able to deal with an otherwise traumatic situation (his son's death) with the sort of class and grace he has.

There's nothing wrong with giving praise to God in a public way, even about something like winning the Super Bowl. What needs to be expressed more clearly is that God didn't give Indy a run defense.

However, the example Dungy gave his team in faith, during a trying time in his life, just might have given them the perspective to keep their heads on straight and do what they needed to in order to win.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #454
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Y'know, I never really looked at it as "God hit this home run," or "God made my feet come down in-bounds," quite so much as "God gave me these talents and has put me in a position to use them."

Or, in Tony Dungy's case, I'd imagine his faith had quite a lot to do with being able to deal with an otherwise traumatic situation (his son's death) with the sort of class and grace he has.

There's nothing wrong with giving praise to God in a public way, even about something like winning the Super Bowl. What needs to be expressed more clearly is that God didn't give Indy a run defense.

However, the example Dungy gave his team in faith, during a trying time in his life, just might have given them the perspective to keep their heads on straight and do what they needed to in order to win.

Very well said.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #455
Easy Mac

Dawson Leary has gotten a bad rap as an actor, although the "reveal" was a bit obvious. Wait, am I the only one still watching CBS?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #456
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meanwhile, I'm not sure this was the best episode of Criminal Minds to introduce new viewers (like me) with.

Aside from the incredible level of (implied) violence, we've just been introduced to a couple of the dumbest f'n cop-types in the history of television.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #457
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Meanwhile, I'm not sure this was the best episode of Criminal Minds to introduce new viewers (like me) with.

Aside from the incredible level of (implied) violence, we've just been introduced to a couple of the dumbest f'n cop-types in the history of television.

How is that different from every other episode.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Dawson Leary has gotten a bad rap as an actor, although the "reveal" was a bit obvious. Wait, am I the only one still watching CBS?

"A bit"?

Ray Charles could have seen that one coming.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #459
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I agree with all that, but usually the comments aren't restricted to that kind of thing. Dungy also said (paraphrasing), "they returned the opening kickoff for a TD, but we know that the lord sometimes takes us the difficult way before guiding us to victory". That kind of stuff makes me chuckle, that people believe they have some kind of divine destiny to win a silly football game.

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2007 at 10:29 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #460
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm in the minority I guess...thought that was the best halftime show in 10 years.

Likewise. Prince was the MVP of the Super Bowl.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
How is that different from every other episode.

See, that's what I wouldn't know, I don't think I had ever seen a single minute of the show until tonight. If that's the norm, then I doubt I would bother with the show again.

And that's not exactly good for CBS, since I'm a junkie for most of the police procedurals (at least in cable repeat form).
Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #462
Easy Mac

Quote:
"A bit"?

Ray Charles could have seen that one coming.

Well, there are some people out there... my fiancee never seems to see these things coming, though I think even she could have seen this one.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #463
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Likewise. Prince was the MVP of the Super Bowl.

I can't believe how much I enjoyed it.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #464
Easy Mac

Quote:
See, that's what I wouldn't know, I don't think I had ever seen a single minute of the show until tonight. If that's the norm, then I doubt I would bother with the show again.

And that's not exactly good for CBS, since I'm a junkie for most of the police procedurals (at least in cable repeat form).

I think I saw the first couple, and they just seemed like CSI - Mandy Patinkin, which is like half-David Caruso, half-William Peterson.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #465
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I agree with all that, but usually the comments aren't restricted to that kind of thing. Dungy also said (paraphrasing), "they returned the opening kickoff for a TD, but we know that the lord sometimes takes us the difficult way before guiding us to victory". That kind of stuff makes me chuckle, that people believe they have some kind of divine destiny to win a silly football game.

Well, I mean, there's a reason they're famous for sports and not for teaching economics at Harvard, right?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #466
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Exactly.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #467
Easy Mac

Jaworski said Grossman will get too much blame.

He had 4 turnovers, what more must he do to get the blame?
Old 02-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #468
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Well, I mean, there's a reason they're famous for sports and not for teaching economics at Harvard, right?

Good point.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #469
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

All this really means is that his faith doesn't waver - that when his team fumbles the ball, he doesn't say "My God, why have you forsaken me." I don't think it means what you think it means.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #470
Easy Mac

If ESPN were equal opportunity, they would be talking about Lovie's history-making loss
Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #471
Daimyo
College Starter

w00t! I think the MVP should have been split between Addai and Rhodes. Addai really carried them in the first half where it seemed like every one of his catches was huge.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #472
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Woooo! Congrats to the Colts. I'm happy for Dungy and Peyton for finally getting that monkey off their backs. Way to go!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #473
SFL Cat
College Starter

Yeah...IMO this year's MVP was a tossup...Manning, Addai, Rhodes and Hayden all were legitimate MVPs.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #474
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I like Saturday for MVP, but more as a rep for the whole o-line.

I was telling my wife early in the thrid it should be Addai though. As someone else said, Addai's catches were big in the first half and started adding up.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #475
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
No doubt. He will have the best night of sleep of his pro career tonight, i'm sure.

I'm very, very happy for Dungy, Manning, Marvin Harrison. Well deserved titles for all three.

Agreed. Now the idiots can shut up about Manning not being able to win the big one. A hearty congratulations to Peyton, Tony, and the rest of the Colts. A well-deserved championship for a bunch of good guys. And for the first time ever, the team I wanted to win it all at the beginning of the season won it all. Woot! Only took 36 & 1/2 years.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #476
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I can't believe how much I enjoyed it.

Likewise, I'm not even a Prince fan. But he killed it up there. I guess part of that owns to the fact that the Rolling Stones single handedly took years off of my life during their performance last year.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #477
Ksyrup

I washed dishes during halftime and enjoyed that more than if I had actually watched the halftime show.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #478
Ksyrup

Dola.

I just read Buster Olney's Sunday morning blog, and he predicted the score to be Colts 26, Bears 17. That's pretty freakin' good.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #479
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
w00t! I think the MVP should have been split between Addai and Rhodes. Addai really carried them in the first half where it seemed like every one of his catches was huge.

Agreed 100%. And Rhodes had some HUGE 3rd-down runs for them.

I think Manning won the MVP based on "there are too many other candidates who are deserving to choose from, so give it to the QB" rule. Similar to how Brady won his first MVP based on the "QB drives them down the field in the final minute for the win even though the offense didn't do much earlier in the game and the defense really won it but we can't give it to the whole defense" rule in his first Super Bowl.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #480
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I think Manning won the MVP based on "there are too many other candidates who are deserving to choose from, so give it to the QB" rule.

Completely agree. I think unfortunately Rhodes and Addai cancelled each other out, so it just fell to Manning by default.

Different subject, but I loved Cedric Benson's final line: 2 carries, -1 yards, 1 fumble, and 1 time getting knocked the f*** out.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #481
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Old Scratch -- see ya in six years, Manning.

Manning -- (cradling his Lombardi) *winks*

When did this thread turn into a Washington Irving novel? Old Scratch, seriously?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #482
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Congrats Colts fans. Another over-hyped hyperbole fest of a Super Bowl with a decent game. I know the Super Bowl has become more about the event than the game itself for the most part but it really is too much. 136 hours of pregame show, the over dramatics such as Jim Nance announcing the coin toss like it was some big event in world history. I know this is how it is but I just wish the game was actually the focus of the Super Bowl and not the "event."
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #483
Ksyrup

It felt like less of an event and more of "just a game" to those of us who first turned the TV on at 6:27.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #484
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It felt like less of an event and more of "just a game" to those of us who first turned the TV on at 6:27.

Yes I guess that would be true. I know the NFL is a marketing machine and that is why they are on top and I understand why the Super Bowl is an event but it just gets to be too much. I mean, the halftime show. Why is it necessary to drag it on that long and what does anyone really get out of it? The minute the game starts the entertainment and other crap should be over and let the football have the focus. There is no need for a big glitzy halftime show that takes forever. Have that crap before the game. The minute the game starts then it should be all about the game.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #485
Daimyo
College Starter

Two things I'm looking forward to finding out:

1) What will people say Manning can't win or can't beat next year? Over the last 10 years I've heard Tennessee, physical teams, New England, generic big games, 3-4 defenses, Super Bowl and they've all now fallen.
2) What will Bill Simmons use for filler now that he can't reference Manning/Dungy in every column?

Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #486
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
2) What will Bill Simmons use for filler now that he can't reference Manning/Dungy in every column?

For me that's the best part about the Colts' win, and I'm a Simmons fan. But his childish Yankee-fan-esque obsession with mocking Peyton Manning made me embarrassed for him at times.

Still, based on his post-Colts/Pats column, expect a shift to many very backhanded compliments instead of outright taunting.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #487
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, could we please put SPOILERS in the thread title?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #488
Ksyrup

Quote:
Two things I'm looking forward to finding out:

1) What will people say Manning can't win or can't beat next year? Over the last 10 years I've heard Tennessee, physical teams, New England, generic big games, 3-4 defenses, Super Bowl and they've all now fallen.

And in defeating the Bears QB'd by former Gator Rex Grossman, he's KO'd the "can't beat Florida" ghost as well!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #489
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Agreed 100%. And Rhodes had some HUGE 3rd-down runs for them.

I think Manning won the MVP based on "there are too many other candidates who are deserving to choose from, so give it to the QB" rule. Similar to how Brady won his first MVP based on the "QB drives them down the field in the final minute for the win even though the offense didn't do much earlier in the game and the defense really won it but we can't give it to the whole defense" rule in his first Super Bowl.
I certainly don't disagree with this argument -- I think it's valid reasoning. I still would have voted for Manning for MVP because I think he did the most to help his team win, and in some respects played outside his comfort level. He wasn't chucking the ball down the field -- he played smart and took what the defense gave him, learning from the first quarter pick. After that, every throw he made was smart. The difference between these two teams was the quarterback play. Grossman did nothing to help the Bears win, and when they needed him to step up he gave the ball away. Manning did exactly what the Colts needed him to do win.

But I think his winning had more to do with the what I'd call frontrunner syndrome. It's kind of like the way we select a college football national champion. It's much easier to win if you go in as the favorite. People went into the game expecting Manning to be the MVP if the Colts won, and nobody behind him did enough to overtake that lead. If Addai and Rhodes had been one guy instead of two, one of them had gotten the bulk of the touches over the other, I think one of them wins it.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #490
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Jeez, could we please put SPOILERS in the thread title?

is my sarcasm detector broken or are you serious? It's noon the day after the game, if you don't know the score by now, or if you don't know the plot of the Criminal Minds episode by now, stop visiting anything online...

FM
Old 02-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #491
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
is my sarcasm detector broken or are you serious? It's noon the day after the game, if you don't know the score by now, or if you don't know the plot of the Criminal Minds episode by now, stop visiting anything online...

FM

I'm pretty confidant your sarcasm detector is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #492
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So, for those of us who didn't watch it AND don't care about spoilers AND don't want to read through this whole thread, YET still find ourselves curious--

What was the quirky thing that Criminal Minds did to start the episode?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #493
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Frogman: I can't get my Betamax to play the tape of the game!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #494
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So, for those of us who didn't watch it AND don't care about spoilers AND don't want to read through this whole thread, YET still find ourselves curious--

What was the quirky thing that Criminal Minds did to start the episode?

CBS came back from commercial to more post-game analysis only to have the camera pan back and show that the analysis was being watched on a TV by the Criminal Minds cast who was out at a Super Bowl party. Very nice hand-off from one show to the other. I don't normally watch Criminal Minds, but I did last night.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #495
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'm pretty confidant your sarcasm detector is broken.

yeah, I thought there was a high probability of that. I'll slowly back out of this thread now.

FM
Old 02-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #496
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I don't normally watch Criminal Minds, but I did last night.

I refuse to watch a show starring the Crestor guy.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #497
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Which guy is that? Did Patinkin do those commercials?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #498
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

But it's also Iniga Montoya!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #499
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Which guy is that? Did Patinkin do those commercials?

I don't know but didn't he steal Elmo's blanket?!?!?!?!?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #500
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
But it's also Iniga Montoya!

He will always retain some amount of coolness points for that.