sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #452
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Hm... Will have to find my way to KC on either Saturday or Sunday

SI

Yeah, the only downside to the event in my book is that I always feel kind of weird being the only adult there not accompanying a kid...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #453
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You could be a guy, in which case I think they all just assume I'm a pedophile. But if I can, I drag my wife along- that way I'm less likely to end up on America's Next Top Sexual Predator

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #454
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Well, I'm back into Etrian Odyssey, though I think I must be attacking leveling-up incorrectly, as it goes sooo slowly and I really don't think I'm ready for the next floor. Oh well, I knew it was a grinding game going in.

On Pokemon news:
Official Press Release | May 28, 2008
It's a Pokémon player's dream come true! Pokémon USA, Inc. is offering an opportunity to receive the Legendary Pokémon Darkrai, during a two-day event at Toys"R"Us stores nationwide from 12 noon - 4 pm. During this time, all Pokémon aficionados who bring their Pokémon Diamond or Pokémon Pearl Game Card, along with their Nintendo DS, to any Toys"R"Us store in the United States have a chance to add one of the most sought-after characters in the Pokémon Universe, Darkrai, to their game. Darkrai, best-known for lulling people to sleep and causing nightmares, is the star of the latest movie, Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai, now available on DVD, and is featured in the new Pokémon Trading Card Game Diamond & Pearl-Majestic Dawn.
Who: All Pokémon fans
What: Darkrai distribution for your Pokémon Diamond or Pokémon Pearl Game Card
When: May 31 and June 1, 12 noon - 4 pm
Where: Toys"R"Us stores nationwide

I read this in my Nintendo Power and me and the daughter are hitting up the local store! I have a diamond and a pearl at the National Pokedex level and my daughter only has a diamond at that level.

My understanding is that you need to make sure you have completed the game and have the National Pokedex for this to be available.

I digress, however, I originally came in here to ask if anyone is still using the online trading option and if it is still very active. If it is, I may switch my wifi back to WEP in order to connect up. I'm in the hunt to catch 'em all and I'm going to need some trading help and I understand there is a way to post a pokemon out there and you can set what you are willing to accept for it. I haven't done this yet and was wondering if it is still worth the trouble.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #455
Bonegavel

Quote:
Yeah, the only downside to the event in my book is that I always feel kind of weird being the only adult there not accompanying a kid...

/tk

yes, thank the gods my daughter is into this as well or I'd be in the same boat.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #456
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I digress, however, I originally came in here to ask if anyone is still using the online trading option and if it is still very active. If it is, I may switch my wifi back to WEP in order to connect up. I'm in the hunt to catch 'em all and I'm going to need some trading help and I understand there is a way to post a pokemon out there and you can set what you are willing to accept for it. I haven't done this yet and was wondering if it is still worth the trouble.

Yes there is. I used it a lot to help fill up a lot of my Pokedex. That reminds me- I still need about 20 so this may get me back to trying to trade some. Also, if you want, drop me a PM at some point- I have a lot of ones to trade, I just haven't played Pokemon much of late.

SI

Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #457
Bonegavel

Quote:
Yes there is. I used it a lot to help fill up a lot of my Pokedex. That reminds me- I still need about 20 so this may get me back to trying to trade some. Also, if you want, drop me a PM at some point- I have a lot of ones to trade, I just haven't played Pokemon much of late.

SI

Sounds good.

I've been using a ditto lately to get eggs of male-only pokemon I have (the starting pokemon most notably). They don't the benefit of the inheritance and will only produce more males, but I can at least raise new ones and trade between games.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #458
Flasch186
Coordinator

rented The World Ends With You tonight (with a free coupon) and I have tell ya, so far this is the best game...by far, Ive played on the DS and I own Advance Wars too, which earns kudos on here. The breadth and depth of the game that Ive seen in the hour ive played thus far is incredible and it would seem ive only just scratched the surface. Finally a game that I can say wow to on this system although, as others have pointed out, I am not this system's sweet spot, player-wise.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #459
Bonegavel

Today and tomorrow are "Get Your Ass To Toys-R-Us For A Darkrai" Day. Don't forget!!! 12-4pm.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #460
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
rented The World Ends With You tonight (with a free coupon) and I have tell ya, so far this is the best game...by far, Ive played on the DS and I own Advance Wars too, which earns kudos on here. The breadth and depth of the game that Ive seen in the hour ive played thus far is incredible and it would seem ive only just scratched the surface. Finally a game that I can say wow to on this system although, as others have pointed out, I am not this system's sweet spot, player-wise.

Yeah TWEWY is great. What store rents handheld games? Is it a national chain?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #461
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Blockbuster has started renting DS games in the last couple of months. I keep seeing signs on the buildings.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-31-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #462
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Blockbuster has started renting DS games in the last couple of months. I keep seeing signs on the buildings.

SI

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder if they have them at the store near me?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #463
Flasch186
Coordinator

yeah, Blockbuster...

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #464
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I got my Darkrai today. Got to TRU and there wasn't a line or anything, which is different compared to the last time I went, but I was OK with that (I got there a smidge before 1).

It's funny when I turned on my DS to actually get the gift from the guy in the store I realized that the last time I turned on Pokemon was when they did the Manaphy (sp) event a few months ago.

/tk
Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #465
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I went Sunday afternoon and got my Darkrai, too. It was set up over wireless so it didn't even matter if there was a line (which there wasn't). I chatted with the guy handing them out for a little bit and I wasn't the only older person to do it while I was standing there.

The last time I had turned on my game was June but I'm only about 20 Pokemon away from a full Pokedex so that may be my next thing after I finish Golden Sun.

SI

Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #466
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Rumor has it that June 20-22 and 27-29 you'll be able to get a Deoxys for Diamond/Pearl from Gamestop.

http://kotaku.com/5014587/deoxys-coming-to-gamestop

/tk
Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 AM   #467
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good deal. At least at Gamestop, I'm not looked at like a pedophile, just looked down on by gaming jocks and degenerates as "one of those Pokemon nerds"

SI

Old 06-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #468
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I know I'm a card-carrying member of the Final Fantasy Fan-Girl Club, but man...::lust::

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/13/gt...tasy-iv-on-ds/

/tk
Old 06-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #469
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know I'm a card-carrying member of the Final Fantasy Fan-Girl Club, but man...::lust::

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/13/gt...tasy-iv-on-ds/

/tk

I was thinking of skipping this one but who am I kidding. FF4 is still my favorite to this day so I'll probably pick it up.

Speaking of which, I picked up The World Ends with You today at Nebraska Furniture Mart for $20 Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

SI

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #470
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Another chance for a legendary Pokemon. This time it's Deoxys. You can get it at Gamestop this weekend and next weekend:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/p...mc_id=061708nl

SI

Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #471
samifan24
Pro Starter

I just picked up Advance Wars: Days of Ruin used. Does anyone want to play over Nintendo WiFi?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #472
Flasch186
Coordinator

i havnt even gotten wifi setup yet...tinkered with it and still couldnt figure it out. Ill try again tonight, after Happy Hour.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #473
samifan24
Pro Starter

Lately I've been purchasing used games from Amazon to save money. I now have two used games, Zelda and Advance Wars, which I just purchased last week. I've been having a problem getting online with these games and I keep getting an error message. I found some information on Nintendo's website about this problem but the explanation is somewhat confusing. Can anyone please translate this into simple English? What do I need to do to play these games online? Erase my current friend code?

Quote:
What happens when I share Wi-Fi games with a friend for use on another Nintendo DS?

The Nintendo WFC ID and the game card are treated as a unit. Because of this, playing your Nintendo DS game card in another Nintendo DS system may override the online information saved to the game card. This would include changing the Nintendo WFC ID associated to the game card as well as your own personal Friend Code. Other players with this Friend Code would no longer be able to identify you as an online friend until you provided them with the new Friend Code you would need to generate. However, the Friend Roster will remain intact. If you are planning on going online with your Nintendo WFC-compatible DS game, we recommend against using the game card in anyone else's Nintendo DS system.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #474
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I just read that three times and couldn't tell you for sure what to do. Maybe try erasing anything saved on the game card? Although that would suck if that didn't work and you lost your progress in the two games...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #475
samifan24
Pro Starter

bump - Can anyone answer my question two posts up? How can I use the WiFi capabilities of DS games which I purchased used off the Internet?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #476
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I just read that three times and couldn't tell you for sure what to do. Maybe try erasing anything saved on the game card? Although that would suck if that didn't work and you lost your progress in the two games...

I'd have to second this. I got a couple of used DS games from the local Game Crazy, and had to delete some existing saved information before applying my DS' existing WiFi settings to the card.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #477
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
I'd have to second this. I got a couple of used DS games from the local Game Crazy, and had to delete some existing saved information before applying my DS' existing WiFi settings to the card.

+1. I don't know about Zelda and Advance Wars, but I know a lot of games have a Wi-Fi setup thingie, I think you'd have to go there and delete/reset any profile info in that.

On a side note, anybody going to Gamestop this weekend to get Deoxys? Or did anybody go last weekend? I'm going to try to remember to drop by there today.

/tk
Old 06-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #478
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping to do it today or tomorrow

SI

Old 06-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #479
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well I got my Deoxys today. It wasn't nearly as embarrassing as I thought it'd be. These Pokemon giveaways lately have had me more motivated to get back into it (and the upcoming Platinum), though I have such a long backlog...

Currently playing Final Fantasy Tactics A2. I was a fan of Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS, and I truly enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA (as long as you don't go into it expecting FFT, I found, you won't be letdown). I'm really digging FFTA2, it's made some decent improvements over FFTA, and I love being able to take it around with me (like I did with FFTA). Unlike my PSP, the DS doesn't make loading noises all the time, so it's easier to play when I have downtime, wherever I am. My biggest complaint with the game is that the battles are pretty slow. I mean, it feels like the animations are slow. Oh well. Still a great time, I imagine that this game will be in my DS for awhile.

/tk
Old 06-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #480
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Well I got my Deoxys today. It wasn't nearly as embarrassing as I thought it'd be. These Pokemon giveaways lately have had me more motivated to get back into it (and the upcoming Platinum), though I have such a long backlog...
/tk

I stopped by today and got Deoxys for my son's and my games. Worked out great. I thought you already had to have the National Pokedex, but you just needed the regular one. The wireless connection worked great, whole process took about a minute.

His Deoxys has much better stats than mine does, however. Bastard.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #481
MJ4H
Coordinator

My wife and I are interested in picking up Wario Ware: Touched but are having a lot of trouble finding it. Any tips? I'd rather have it new than used unless someone here were selling theirs?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #482
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
My wife and I are interested in picking up Wario Ware: Touched but are having a lot of trouble finding it. Any tips? I'd rather have it new than used unless someone here were selling theirs?

I use Half.com a lot to buy and sell used stuff.

I generally only buy from sellers that have feedback ratings of 99.5% or better, but I'll go down to 99% if it's a place that moves a lot of stuff. Below that is risky, IMHO.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #483
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I got my Deoxys today. Actually, I was in the parking lot outside EBGames on the way to the Royals. I decided to see if I could get the wireless signal from there. Turns out I could so I never even went into the store.

SI

Old 06-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #484
Bonegavel

Quote:

/tk

I remembered at the 11th hour yesterday to get my ass to Mars, I mean, Gamestop. I wish there was a way to breed these guys.

Ooh, I didn't know about the Platinum... have any links!?

Old 06-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #485
Bonegavel

here's the Japanese site. Gots to learn me some Japanese!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #486
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
here's the Japanese site. Gots to learn me some Japanese!

Here are some other links. I found all of these in this thread at CheapAssGamer:
DS Fanboy (basically saying Platinum is supposed to be to Diamond/Pearl what Emerald was to Ruby/Sapphire) - English

The Tanooki has some box art, specifics on at least one Pokemon, and screen caps. - English

And another site in Japanese. No idea what it says.

/tk
Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #487
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

No longer content with just porting Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, Square-Enix will be releasing an enhanced port of Chrono Trigger on the DS. Exciting stuff, I wonder if this will lead to a new game in the series.

wired.com
Old 07-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #488
MJ4H
Coordinator

Found a buy it now on ebay in my price range and pulled the trigger on Wario Ware Touched. I hate regular auctions. I'd rather just buy something for a little more than put with being outbid and sniping and stupid crap like that.

Now let's see how long it takes to get here.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #489
MJ4H
Coordinator

I think Animal Crossing has finally convinced my wife that she needs her own DS. She plays that @(#$ game constantly.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #490
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I've never played Animal Crossing. The game as described doesn't sound that great on paper. What do people like about it so much?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #491
MJ4H
Coordinator

We have decided to go ahead and buy the second DS tomorrow. We are looking at the following games for wireless multiplayer between my wife and me:

Big Brain Academy
Mario Party
Mario and Sonic
Tetris
Cooking Mama (2)
Zookeeper
Picross
Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #492
MJ4H
Coordinator

Bought my new crimson and black DS tonight. Bought BBA, Mario Party, and Cooking Mama off of that list. Apparently, Tetris DS is impossible to find. We went to 7 different stores looking for it. No good. Ebay prices are through the roof. Found one place online called haltnshop.com that had it for $21 but I'm not sure I can trust a random merchant like that. What do you think? Anyone have a copy they want to dump cheaply?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #493
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, no help here. I'm trying to find a copy myself, these days.

SI

Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #494
samifan24
Pro Starter

I finally got my used games working on Nintendo WFC. I had to call Nintendo and they walked me through the reset process, which was surprisingly easy and consisted of just following prompts and having the tech guy telling me which to accept. I'm now online with Advance Wars and Zelda but with a new friend code. I'll post it soon if anyone has Advance Wars and wants to play.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #495
hukarez
College Starter

Not sure if I haven't posted my FCs yet for the following games: (SI, I think you need to update the first thread!)

Bleach - 459696583360
Mario Kart - 390950427597
Planet Puzzle League - 055969657700
Metroid Prime Hunters - 317934510369
Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin - 528429803256
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #496
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Not sure if I haven't posted my FCs yet for the following games: (SI, I think you need to update the first thread!)

Bleach - 459696583360
Mario Kart - 390950427597
Planet Puzzle League - 055969657700
Metroid Prime Hunters - 317934510369
Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin - 528429803256

Indeed, needed an updated. Hadn't done it for a few months. Now I think I've got them all up to date. Mine may actually have changed, tho, since I had to cut power to mine so the equivalent of the CMOS was unplugged and things reset.

SI

Old 07-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #497
twothree
College Prospect

I caught my very first shiny pokemon, if you don't count the non-random shiny Gyarados back in Gold and Silver. Just a little over 300 hours into playing Pokemon Diamond and I am now the proud owner of a shiny fearow. One ugly looking pokemon.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #498
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Haha. I've never caught a random shiny ever. Of course, I got the Gyrados and have traded for a few but never caught one legit

SI

Old 07-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #499
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dang, all this Pokemon talk makes me really even more motivated to get back into Pokemon. So, as an informal poll, which should I delve back into:
a) Diamond (finished the game, in pure collection mode, though there are quite a few I need to get)
b) Emerald (just started the game, haven't even made it to the first gym)
c) LeafGreen (don't remember where I left this one, I know at one point I'd finished the game but I think I lost that game at some point, not sure now...)

/tk
Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #500
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think there are a couple of options. If you really want to go marathon, beat Leaf Green, then Emerald, and then trade all of those up to Diamond to help with the collection.

Otherwise, I'd go Diamond and just start collecting.

I still need ~20ish Pokemon to fill out my Pokedex for Pearl so I should do that. But I'm pretty much out of boxes. I should just bite the bullet and get My Pokemon Ranch like I did with Pokemon Box a couple of generations ago so I can offload some older ones that are just there for collection purposes.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2008 at 11:06 AM.