Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2005, 06:28 AM   #451
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Rangers and Padres continue to discuss an Adam Eaton deal and Kevin Mench may be involved now.
The Padres should be less interested in Gerald Laird with Doug Mirabelli and Miguel Olivo set to compete for playing time. Adrian Gonzalez is another possibility to be included in an Eaton trade. If nothing can be worked out with the Padres, Mench could go to the Blue Jays, Dodgers, Orioles, Astros or Royals. Dec. 9 - 3:48 am et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:29 AM   #452
Ksyrup

Alfonso Soriano said he has no intention of playing outfield for the Nationals. "I'm going to play second base," Soriano said.
"I don't think they want me to play the outfield," he said. "I think that if they traded for me, it's to play second base. Obviously I have the control. Of course I'm not going to play the outfield." It looks like the Nationals are going to have serious issues if Jose Vidro is healthy enough to start. They could trade Nick Johnson and try Vidro at first base. Vidro's legs probably wouldn't allow him to play left field. Moving Soriano on to another team could be a possibility if nothing can be worked out. Even if he gets to play second base, Soriano will be less than thrilled to go from a top hitter's park to a top pitcher's park in his contract year. Dec. 9 - 3:28 am et
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-09-2005, 06:29 AM   #453
Ksyrup

According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, lefty reliever J.C. Romero will definitely be traded by the Twins.
He's involved with the Hank Blalock talks with Texas. The Angels, Diamondbacks and Orioles have also expressed interest in the 29-year-old, who is due to earn $2.2 million next year and either $2.75 million or a $250,000 buyout in 2007. Dec. 9 - 3:12 am et
Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #454
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The Cardinals are turning back to Matt Morris after failed runs at A.J. Burnett and Javier Vazquez and are prepared to offer him a three-year deal.
St. Louis, San Francisco, Texas and Seattle are believed to be the finalists for Morris, who is set to command at least a three-year contract. The Cardinals are higly unlikely to put the high offer on the table, but they're prepared to be competitive and they're hopeful Morris will take a little less to stay with the team. Dec. 9 - 4:53 am et

Oh brother. Haven't we been here before?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #455
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Mets signed Julio Franco to a 2 yr, $2.2 million deal.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #456
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I heart Julio Franco.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #457
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

He'll be 49 when that contract expires...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:52 PM   #458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Atlanta Braves announced Friday they have signed 13-year veteran catcher Todd Pratt to a one-year contract.

Terms were not disclosed.

Pratt, 38, will serve as a backup and mentor to 21-year-old Brian McCann, who moves up as the Braves' starter following the team's trade of Johnny Estrada to Arizona earlier this week.

Pratt, set a career high by starting 49 games for Philadelphia last season. He hit .251 with seven homers and 23 RBIs. He has a .255 career batting average with the Phillies, New York Mets and Chicago Cubs
Old 12-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #459
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Oh brother. Haven't we been here before?

Damn it, the Giants need to get Morris, even if we overpay.

I don't know why I feel this way, because I don't think he's going to be very good...but still.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #460
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So he and Jason Schmidt can hang out in the trainers room after being overworked as they have to pitch every other day?

SI

Old 12-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #461
Vince
Pro Starter

Lowry and Cain should be at least average next year, and average out of #3 and #4 in your rotation is good. #5...I'm not so hot about. But Schmidt and Morris should be above average next season.

Yes, I actually believe what I just wrote. Fanboy...maybe.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #462
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Twins J.C. Romero to Anaheim for minor league infielder Alexi Casilla
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:34 PM   #463
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Damn it, the Giants need to get Morris, even if we overpay.

I don't know why I feel this way, because I don't think he's going to be very good...but still.

I don't want him for $8 million +.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:49 AM   #464
Ksyrup

The Cardinals' offer to Matt Morris is worth $13 million over two years and includes a third-year option that could bring the value to $20 million.
Morris might take a little less to stay in St. Louis, but that's just not a competitive offer. The Rangers are believed to have a three-year, $25 million proposal on the table, and the bidding could yet reach $27 million-$30 million. Dec. 10 - 3:42 am et
Old 12-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #465
Ksyrup

The Red Sox have already offered Manny Ramirez for Miguel Tejada, according to the Boston Herald, and the Washington Post says the Orioles haven't ruled out the possibility.
"It is a logical suggestion," one Orioles official said of a Ramirez-for-Tejada swap. "It does seem unlikely. But who knows?" The Red Sox could include Bronson Arroyo or a quality prospect if necessary. If the Orioles don't want Manny, Boston could conceivably put together a package without Ramirez, but they'd likely need a third team willing to take Ramirez in order to pull it off. One huge issue for any Tejada suitor has to be the shortstop's right to demand a trade after next season if he's dealt now. Tejada undoubtedly sees how the market has changed since he's signed his six-year, $72 million contract and must believe he should be making at least $15 million per year. Unless Tejada is willing to give up his right to demand the trade after 2007, any team that parts with the necessary talent to pry him away would be making a big mistake. Dec. 10 - 3:33 am et
Old 12-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #466
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Cardinals' offer to Matt Morris is worth $13 million over two years and includes a third-year option that could bring the value to $20 million.
Morris might take a little less to stay in St. Louis, but that's just not a competitive offer. The Rangers are believed to have a three-year, $25 million proposal on the table, and the bidding could yet reach $27 million-$30 million. Dec. 10 - 3:42 am et

Good for you Texas!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #467
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Good for you Texas!
Rangers out of the running.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2005&fext=.jsp
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #468
Vince
Pro Starter

I'd assume that's great news for the Giants...but if our offers are as much more than the Cardinals' as I've heard they are, why is he still deliberating? This worries me...
Old 12-11-2005, 01:33 AM   #469
Bad-example
College Starter

Matt Morris told the Post-Dispatch Saturday night that he would not be returning to St. Louis. He's narrowed his choices to San Francisco and Cincinnati, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
Multiple sources told the Post-Dispatch that the Giants appeared the clear frontrunners. Morris is expected to get a three-year deal worth about $25 million.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:04 AM   #470
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

ugh -a this price, resiging TOmko or waiting for Jason Johnson may be a better alternative. Morris isn't the pitcher he showed flashes of being - I might have prefered Loiaza.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #471
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Matt Morris told the Post-Dispatch Saturday night that he would not be returning to St. Louis. He's narrowed his choices to San Francisco and Cincinnati, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
Multiple sources told the Post-Dispatch that the Giants appeared the clear frontrunners. Morris is expected to get a three-year deal worth about $25 million.

Good news, go San Francisco!!
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #472
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

The Houston Chronicle's John P. Lopez believes the Astros are using Brad Lidge as trade bait for an outfielder.
"He has been and will be offered," Lopez writes in his blog. Lopez is more circumspect in his Chronicle column today, but still throws out possibilities such as Bobby Abreu, Manny Ramirez and Adam Dunn. Miguel Tejada is also there, but the Orioles and Reds can probably be ruled out, as neither team is an elite closer away from getting over the hump. Abreu makes the most sense of any possibility. In the unlikely event that the Astros do trade Lidge, Chad Qualls would likely be the favorite over Dan Wheeker to close. Dec. 11 - 4:38 am et
Source: Houston Chronicle
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #473
Ksyrup

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal now says the Reds are not one of the two finalists for Matt Morris. The Nationals have also been informed that they're out of it.
The Giants remain the favorites to land Morris. The other team isn't known, but the Dodgers are a good guess. Dec. 11 - 1:37 pm et
Old 12-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #474
Ksyrup

The Yankees may be preparing a four-year offer to Johnny Damon, and there are also indications that the Orioles are about to get involved, according to Newsday's Jon Heyman.
Would signing Damon turn Miguel Tejada's frown upside down? The Orioles would likely have to go far beyond any offer from the Red Sox or Yankees to sign him, so it probably wouldn't be worth it. As for Boston's bid, Heyman says owner John Henry recently became involved in negotiations. Two AL execs said they still see Boston as the favorites in this chase. Dec. 11 - 4:44 am et
Old 12-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #475
Ksyrup

Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes said Saturday that about three teams are still involved in trade talks regarding pitcher Javier Vazquez.
That number is down from eight to 10 teams. The Mets are probably still in it. The Nationals could be. It's believed the Cardinals have given up on getting him. Dec. 11 - 3:43 am et
Old 12-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #476
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes said Saturday that about three teams are still involved in trade talks regarding pitcher Javier Vazquez.
That number is down from eight to 10 teams. The Mets are probably still in it. The Nationals could be. It's believed the Cardinals have given up on getting him. Dec. 11 - 3:43 am et
Yeah, from what I hear the fact Arizona stated it would not pick up any of Javy's salary scared away 5-6 teams.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #477
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Mets signed Julio Franco to a 2 yr, $2.2 million deal.

Don't get me wrong - I also heart Julio Franco, but... even OOTP's AI isn't *that* broken.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #478
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
Don't get me wrong - I also heart Julio Franco, but... even OOTP's AI isn't *that* broken.

But I hope he proves me wrong and hits .300 again (and again)
Old 12-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #479
Terps
College Prospect

Tejada has said he does not really want to be traded. He said it to try to get the front office to go out and get some talent around him.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:50 AM   #480
oykib
College Starter

I don't want Damon at $10 million or more. I'd rather the Yanks pick up Bradley, or even Patterson, on a trade. Hell, I'd even rather that they wait until the deadline and make do with a Bernie/Crosby combo until then.

But I'm really liking the idea of picking up Bradley for pennies on the dollar. I don't think that Small for him is a Sports Radio trade considering his problems and the fact that the Dodgers are stuck with Kent next year.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:52 AM   #481
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd rather be stuck with KEnt for one mor eyear then deal with Bradley. He showed so much promise and thought he turned the corner
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #482
Vince
Pro Starter

Giants sign Matt Morris -- 3 years, $27m guaranteed. Probably a three year deal worth $25m, with an option for a fourth year and a club $2m buyout.

He's not worth that, but in this pitcher crazy market, it's a great "This year" move. I'll hate this contract in two years...but at the moment, we have to make a push.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #483
MrBug708
Head Coach

A push for what Vince?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #484
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from radioandrecords.com

New York Mets' Broadcasts Get
New Second Voice

Tom McCarthy, most recently host of the Philadelphia Phillies' pre-game and post-game shows, will join the Mets' broadcasting team at WFAN/New York next season. McCarthy will slide into the broadcast booth alongside Howie Rose, who became the Mets' lead announcer when Gary Cohen exited to become the voice of the Mets on regional cable network SportsNet New York. McCarthy has spent the past five seasons with the Phillies.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #485
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
A push for what Vince?

Better than mediocrity?

It might be ridiculous for any NL West team to think they have a shot, but with a healthy Bonds for most of the year, we are a vastly improved ballclub. World Series or bust, baby
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #486
Vince
Pro Starter

I've heard that the Giants are trying to sign Bill Mueller, and then ship Feliz out for a pitcher. Not sure it'll happen, but it could.

Just about everything I hear comes from www.mccoveychronicles.com -- great Giants blog. Just so that people don't think I'm actually snooping these out myself
Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #487
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2256742

The Texas Rangers have acquired right-handed starter Vicente Padilla from the Philadelphia Phillies in a trade for a player to be named, baseball sources told ESPN.com. The deal is contingent on Padilla passing a physical exam with the Rangers.

Padilla, 28, has a 51-51 record with a 3.95 ERA in seven seasons with Philadelphia and Arizona.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #488
Ksyrup

Player to be named? He's fallen that far?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #489
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like the Pirates are the only team willing (stupid?) enough to give Bill Mueller a three-year deal. It seems like he has made it clear that he would prefer to play for LA or SF, but they won't go past two-years.

The beauty of it all is that, if the Pirates get Mueller, the Red Sox would get the Pirates 2nd round draft pick. Lovely.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #490
Ksyrup

Hey, this guy is still available...but don't call until next week.

Free agent Sidney Ponson was sentenced to five days in jail Monday after being convicted of driving while impaired.
When Ponson was arrested on Aug. 25, it was his third drunken drive charge and second in a year. "In light of this, the court cannot conclude anything but that some jail time is needed," district judge James Mann said. Ponson was also fined $500. Dec. 12 - 12:28 pm et
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #491
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey, this guy is still available...but don't call until next week.

Free agent Sidney Ponson was sentenced to five days in jail Monday after being convicted of driving while impaired.
When Ponson was arrested on Aug. 25, it was his third drunken drive charge and second in a year. "In light of this, the court cannot conclude anything but that some jail time is needed," district judge James Mann said. Ponson was also fined $500. Dec. 12 - 12:28 pm et

wouldn't it be worth it to spend $30-40K a year on a driver?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:49 PM   #492
Butter
Coordinator

I'm sure he'll end up with the Nationals... Bowden was always trying to pry him from the O's when he was in Cincy.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #493
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Player to be named? He's fallen that far?

Yeah, but it could be a pretty decent prospect(lets hope).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #494
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
World Series or bust, baby

Good luck with that.....
Old 12-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #495
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Yeah, but it could be a pretty decent prospect(lets hope).

Usually not, though. We'll see.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #496
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I didn't realize his stock had fallen so far in recent time. Nice pickup by the Rangers, provided it's not some uber prospect.

SI

Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 AM   #497
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Heh and I was going to make a post about how the Yanks should trade for Tejada and have him play 2nd, move Cano to center, and sign Nomar to play first...

Several sources told the New York Post that the Yankees have made an offer to free agent Nomar Garciaparra.
He'd be brought in to play first base, making Jason Giambi a designated hitter. Whether this would have an effect on the Bernie Williams negotiations is unclear. It's also uncertain whether the Yankees would still have room in the budget to add Johnny Damon. Garciaparra is believed to have a two-year offer on the table from the Blue Jays, and while he won't command the same kind of guarantee he did a year ago, he's probably in line for at least $5 million per season. Dec. 13 - 3:40 am et
Source: New York Post
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #498
Ksyrup

Javier Vazquez could be dealt to the White Sox for either Jose Contreras or Jon Garland, a baseball insider told the New York Daily News.
A Vazquez deal is on the verge of going down. The Mets were still in it at last check. It's unclear whether the Nationals were able to put together anything to entice Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes. Dec. 13 - 4:41 am et
Old 12-13-2005, 07:02 AM   #499
Ksyrup

The Phillies are nearing an agreement with free agent Braden Looper, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.
A Looper signing would greatly increase the chances of Ryan Madson opening next season in the rotation, something we're strongly in favor of. Dec. 13 - 4:18 am et
Old 12-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #500
Ksyrup

Ricardo Rodriguez is one of two players the Phillies are considering as the PTBN in the Vicente Padilla trade.
The other is a prospect, believed to be a low-level infielder. Rodriguez has had more than his share of injuries of late, but he still has some value. The Phillies would likely put him in middle relief. Dec. 13 - 4:15 am et