Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #451
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cardinals sign LB Orlando Huff to a 2 year deal.

According to the NY Post, WR David Terrell is expected to sign with the Giants this week.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:12 PM   #452
rkmsuf
Head Coach

what a horrid signing if they do by the Giants.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #453
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
According to the NY Post, WR David Terrell is expected to sign with the Giants this week.

Dear Giants,

Ha ha!

Love,
Bears Fans
Old 03-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #454
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Word in STL this morning is that the Texans have signed Pace to an offer sheet.

I can't ever remember a franchised player actually ever being signed away with his new team giving up the two first-round picks. Has it happened before? It seems like there is usually a trade worked out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #455
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I can't ever remember a franchised player actually ever being signed away with his new team giving up the two first-round picks. Has it happened before? It seems like there is usually a trade worked out.

Shawn Gilbert left via Free agency from the skins to the Panthers. And Galloway left to dallas too. Its rare, but not totally unlikely.
Its the next 2 Texans picks right, or is it any 2 first rounders?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:00 PM   #456
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Vikings sign WR Travis Taylor.

Jaguars re-sign WR Troy Edwards and RB Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #457
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Vikings sign WR Travis Taylor.

Jaguars re-sign WR Troy Edwards and RB Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala.

Wow. Travis Taylor has a job, David Terrell may have one soon...and Plaxico is still looking for work?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:08 PM   #458
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Well, according to the NFL Network, Plaxico turned down a 6 year $36 million deal from the Vikings. He wants a $12-15 million signing bonus.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #459
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well, according to the NFL Network, Plaxico turned down a 6 year $36 million deal from the Vikings. He wants a $12-15 million signing bonus.

That's nutty.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #460
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He's banking on Rosenhaus conning the Dolphins or some shit like that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #461
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
Dear Giants,

Ha ha!

Love,
Bears Fans

Screw this. I am standing by my fellow alumn. Sure he's had on some on-field and off-field issues since he departed the comfortable confines of Ann Arbor and the Big House, but I think he's still got some good football with in him. He's been stuck on a crappy Bears team his entire career with their crappy offense and their crappy quarterbacks.

He, like fellow Wolverine Amani Toomer, will flourish in the Big Apple. Go forth and prosper, young man!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #462
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Screw this. I am standing by my fellow alumn. Sure he's had on some on-field and off-field issues since he departed the comfortable confines of Ann Arbor and the Big House, but I think he's still got some good football with in him. He's been stuck on a crappy Bears team his entire career with their crappy offense and their crappy quarterbacks.

He, like fellow Wolverine Amani Toomer, will flourish in the Big Apple. Go forth and prosper, young man!!

Come, now, I think you sell DT short by saying he had "some" issues. Let's review...

On-field issues: Can't catch, doesn't run crisp routes, led the league in penalty yardage by a skill-position player, celebrates 5-yard reception as if he's just won the Super Bowl

Off-field issues: Is generally a jackass, had some sort of run-in with the law (expired license? DUI? My memory failes me)

I'm really hoping he and FredEx end up on the same team. That would be UIC at its finest.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #463
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

S Tebucky Jones is released by the Saints and he has signed a 2 year contract with the Dolphins.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #464
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:

Keep that positive attitude. He's not good. The "crappy Bears team" is not why he was unproductive. He got the shot to be the man this year and failed. Even when Rex was in there, Bobby Wade looked much better.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #465
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Aren't David Terrell and Ike Hilliard the same guy?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:08 PM   #466
Swaggs
Coordinator

Steelers are working on a deal with OL Stocker McDougal of Detroit. If he signs, he will compete with Max Starks for the RT job that is open.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #467
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Dolphins sign OT Stockar McDougal to a 1 year deal.

Packers re-sign G/C Grey Ruegamer.

The Cowboys were surprised when DE Darren Howard had asked them for a 6 year $33 million deal with a $16 million signing bonus.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #468
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Steelers are working on a deal with OL Stocker McDougal of Detroit. If he signs, he will compete with Max Starks for the RT job that is open.

Too late for the Steelers.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #469
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
The Cowboys were surprised when DE Darren Howard had asked them for a 6 year $33 million deal with a $16 million signing bonus.

Is it just me, or is there something funny about this line? "The Cowboys were surprised." I can only picture Jerry Jones sitting at his desk... then a fax comes in, he looks at it, and gets wide-eyed and open his mouth to let out a gasp of air. Heh. "That request surprised me!"

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #470
DeToxRox
Head Coach

David Terrell, sorry, just didn't cut it.

People are stupid to hold him against Braylon Edwards though. Edwards does it all. He can catch, makes plays, leads the team, and one thing he does better then any WR out of college I've seen in a long time is block. He is a punishing blocker.

Terrell never blocked in college, only made some spectacular catches, but benefited mostly from Henson and A-Train. I think people need to realize Terrell and Edwards are two different monsters, and that Edwards is worth the investment as a top 3 pick.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #471
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
David Terrell, sorry, just didn't cut it.

People are stupid to hold him against Braylon Edwards though. Edwards does it all. He can catch, makes plays, leads the team, and one thing he does better then any WR out of college I've seen in a long time is block. He is a punishing blocker.

Terrell never blocked in college, only made some spectacular catches, but benefited mostly from Brady and A-Train. I think people need to realize Terrell and Edwards are two different monsters, and that Edwards is worth the investment as a top 3 pick.

Fixed that one for ya.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #472
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Come, now, I think you sell DT short by saying he had "some" issues. Let's review...

On-field issues: Can't catch, doesn't run crisp routes, led the league in penalty yardage by a skill-position player, celebrates 5-yard reception as if he's just won the Super Bowl

Off-field issues: Is generally a jackass, had some sort of run-in with the law (expired license? DUI? My memory failes me)

I'm really hoping he and FredEx end up on the same team. That would be UIC at its finest.

Water under the bridge, man...

I am on the David Terrell bandwagon!! I think it's just me and David's mama right now, but that's a-ok!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #473
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Fixed that one for ya.

Haha, valid.

He and Drew did show signs of greatness together though.

Funny that now they struggle in the NFL, while Brady is the posterboy.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #474
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
Keep that positive attitude. He's not good. The "crappy Bears team" is not why he was unproductive. He got the shot to be the man this year and failed. Even when Rex was in there, Bobby Wade looked much better.

Didn't DT lead the Bears' in receiving yards this year? Come on! DT looked pretty good in that first game against the Lions, 5 catches, 126 yards (despite a couple really stupid 15 yard penalties).

I am keeping up my positive attitude! I am forward looking. Yes, his pro career hasn't been all that good. But, there's still hope. DT will be the comeback player of the year. Then again if he goes to New York, he cannot be held responsible for Eli Manning's sucking.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #475
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Haha, valid.

He and Drew did show signs of greatness together though.

Funny that now they struggle in the NFL, while Brady is the posterboy.

They did. I recall the Ohio State game. But I really remember that bowl game against Alabama where it looked like Shaun Alexander was going to run all over Michigan. Well, he did, but Brady and Terrell took that game over, rallied the game into OT, and we won on a missed XP.

Screw Henson. He's a bitch. He quite football to play baseball, left UofM to join the Yankees to play minor league ball in Columbus. That's just so wrong on so many levels...
Old 03-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #476
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
They did. I recall the Ohio State game. But I really remember that bowl game against Alabama where it looked like Shaun Alexander was going to run all over Michigan. Well, he did, but Brady and Terrell took that game over, rallied the game into OT, and we won on a missed XP.

Screw Henson. He's a bitch. He quite football to play baseball, left UofM to join the Yankees to play minor league ball in Columbus. That's just so wrong on so many levels...

Oh the memories.

96-97 was the year though.

All the years Michigan ruined OSU's National Titlte bids, and then it was OSU's turn to do the same, and Woodson won the Heisman that day.

Ahh, I miss college football already.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #477
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Rams wont trade Pace

St. Louis says they "won't" trade Pace.

"The Rams believe they made Pace a fair offer, a seven-year deal worth $52.8 million, with $15 million in signing bonus. But Pace believes it's not commensurate with the contract signed by Seattle tackle Walter Jones -- a seven-year, $52.5 million deal, with $16 million in signing bonus.

The Rams counter that Jones, who is scheduled to earn $1.7 million in pay his first season, would reap $17.7 million when the first year was over and that Pace, offered $3 million in pay his first season, would pull down $18 million."

Isnt all that matters the money that occurs during the first season? Signing bonuses are guaranteed and nothing beyond that. Its great that both have offers for 7 years. Neither will see year 6 of that, let alone year 7.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:17 PM   #478
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Seahawks sign DE Bryce Fisher (Rams) for 4 years, $10 million.

Patriots re-sign OT Tom Ashworth.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #479
MikeVic
Head Coach

So Pace is saying that a million dollar difference in signing bonus is what makes the contract not equal to Jones? I mean, technically he's right... but come on!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:25 AM   #480
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Bengals have signed Rudi Johnson to a 5 year, $26 million deal.

The Browns sign LB Matt Stewart (Falcons) to a 3 year deal.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-16-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:05 AM   #481
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Didn't DT lead the Bears' in receiving yards this year?

Dude, YOU could have led the Bears in receiving this year.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #482
rkmsuf
Head Coach

DT has little speed. That's the major problem. That and not a great route runner.

Maybe if he runs bad routes he'll be in the perfect spot for the Manning errant throws.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #483
mhass
High School Varsity

He would still have to catch the ball in his vicinity. I haven't seen him do that regularly.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #484
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by article above
"The Rams believe they made Pace a fair offer, a seven-year deal worth $52.8 million, with $15 million in signing bonus. But Pace believes it's not commensurate with the contract signed by Seattle tackle Walter Jones -- a seven-year, $52.5 million deal, with $16 million in signing bonus.

The Rams counter that Jones, who is scheduled to earn $1.7 million in pay his first season, would reap $17.7 million when the first year was over and that Pace, offered $3 million in pay his first season, would pull down $18 million."

Before we reach our own conclusions, let's keep in mind that we clearly don't have the whole story here. We knoe the bonus, and we knoe the first year salary. But there may well be some "cliff effect" escalation in there, which makes this a deal where he gets paid up fromt, plays a few years for a low salary, and then gets cut/renegotiated before the real salary kicks in. It's certainly possible thet there are vast differences between these two contracts -- potentially *way* beyond the one million dollar difference being described.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #485
Swaggs
Coordinator

Rudi Johnson gets $26M. I love having the Bengals in the division.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #486
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Vikings have signed Brad Johnson to a 4 year, $6 million deal with a $1.2 mil signing bonus.

Reports are coming out of St. Louis that the Rams will sign Orlando Pace to a 7 year, $52.8 million deal with an $18 million signing bonus.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-16-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #487
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
The Vikings have signed Brad Johnson to a 4 year, $6 million deal with a $1.2 mil signing bonus.

Reports are coming out of St. Louis that the Rams will sign Orlando Pace to a 7 year, $52.8 million deal with an $18 million signing bonus.

Man that's a lot for Pace. I guess you have to since it's hard to find good LTs and I suppose he's good for 5 more years.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #488
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Rudi Johnson gets $26M. I love having the Bengals in the division.

That means Chris Perry is junk.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #489
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The most amusing part of this signing, was the ESPN article about it, I never realized Washington gave up 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft choices for Brad Johnson. And the Vikings drafted Culpepper with the 1st round choice the next year... How bout those Skins! Patience really does pay off
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #490
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
The most amusing part of this signing, was the ESPN article about it, I never realized Washington gave up 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft choices for Brad Johnson. And the Vikings drafted Culpepper with the 1st round choice the next year... How bout those Skins! Patience really does pay off

Wow, I had forgotten about that. Timing is everything I guess.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #491
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
That means Chris Perry is junk.

Yeah. Apparently he's going to have another surgery for another sports hernia. Not good news. Poor Chris Perry. I was pretty happy when he was drafted ahead of Steven Jackson or Kevin Jones. Though I appreciate what Chris did for the Maize and Blue, but I really didn't have high hopes for him in the NFL.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #492
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm a bit surprised at the Rudi Johnson signing. Unless they know for a fact that Chris Perry can't be a #1 (whether because of injury or ineptitude) then it seems like they might have acted a little quickly. I had expected them to let him play the year out to make sure Perry couldn't fill his shoes.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #493
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I'm a bit surprised at the Rudi Johnson signing. Unless they know for a fact that Chris Perry can't be a #1 (whether because of injury or ineptitude) then it seems like they might have acted a little quickly. I had expected them to let him play the year out to make sure Perry couldn't fill his shoes.

I don't think they know what to make of Perry yet and that's why it became important to re-sign Rudi.

In reality, a sports hernia will keep you out of action, but it's an injury you can recover fully from in way less time than a full offseason. My wife had one and was working out in about 6 weeks. But the second injury is troubling.

At worst, Perry never fully heals and is cut in a couple years. The cap hit is not good, but he was the 26th pick as opposed to the top 10 guys the team is used to drafting, so he's not taking nearly as much space as say, Peter Warrick. He's probably hurting the team worse than Perry right now.

At best, Perry recovers and becomes a good change of pace back. There is no rule against having two good rb's on your roster. During their last superbowl run, James Brooks and Ickey Woods were both 1,000 backs.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #494
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Dola,

In an odd twist, DT Tony Williams is visiting the Broncos. That's a strange choice to visit the team whose "questionable" blocking schemes ended his season.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #495
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
Dola,

In an odd twist, DT Tony Williams is visiting the Broncos. That's a strange choice to visit the team whose "questionable" blocking schemes ended his season.

Maybe he brought a gun with him.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #496
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
Dola,

Better to play for them than against them.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #497
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Wait, so who is going to be the Bears' backup QB??
Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #498
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Edgerin James signed his 1 year franchise tender.

The Patriots are not looking to sign K Adam Vinatieri to a long term deal this offseason, he is their franchise player.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #499
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Wait, so who is going to be the Bears' backup QB??

Jim McMahon
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #500
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
Jim McMahon

With or without the Rozelle headband?