Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2004, 06:35 AM   #451
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Waiving their second round picks? I don't see how a second round pick qualifies for waivers after only being in the game for a few months time.

Players not on the 40-man roster don't need to clear waivers after the trade deadline.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:40 AM   #452
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
I read your post over on the OOTP boards. To me it didn't sound like the CPU actually placed the player on waivers so any team could claim him and put him on their roster. Wasn't the CPU trying to trade the prospect after the deadline which automatically placed him on waivers? If that's the case then I don't see it as a problem because any claim on the player would cancel the trade and all would go back to normal. I may be wrong about your situation, but that's what I gathered from what I read.

Well at the time there were 2 players on waivers.

There was the 9th pick overall a 3 blue star starter with some promise.

There was a 3rd round pick 1.5 blue star third baseman who had little promise.

So if the game was trying to trade them it either:

Was trading them for each other or
It was trading them for players who already cleared waivers - who they could have taken with a waiver claim

I'm not sure which is worse. Waivers is broken or the game is trading it's first round picks for players who cleared waivers.

All of this is on top of the fact that players not on the 40-man don't even have to clear waivers after the trade deadline. The rules aren't that difficult they are documented all over the internet, could someone have read them? Could someone on the beta team have passed these tidbits along?

They rush out patches with things like Home Field Advantage. How can it possibly work right if it was developed in less then a week?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:46 AM   #453
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
The rules aren't that difficult they are documented all over the internet, could someone have read them? Could someone on the beta team have passed these tidbits along?

They rush out patches with things like Home Field Advantage. How can it possibly work right if it was developed in less then a week?

Y'know, if you keep this up, you're going to start to remind me of me

Jon
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:50 AM   #454
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I think the other important players to look at are the everyday players who'll rarely appear on the leader board, but will have decent careers: the .280 hitters with 20 HR's a season. In pre-patch careers, I was finding that even the huge majority of these guys were former first or high-second rounders. Now, I'm finding that a decent number of 3rd-to-6th rounders are sprinkled in.

I'm curious as to how others feel about the results they're seeing now.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:51 AM   #455
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I was (mistakenly?) under the impression that a team could place anybody on waivers that they wanted to, whether they HAD to waive them or not. Of course, players who are not on the 40-man roster never get waived. If these guys did not make it onto the 40-man roster there is a problem. I have not yet seen this activity within the game, but I've only run about 30 or 40 seasons of historical action.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:52 AM   #456
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He still didn't fix the rookie records issue. Not a biggie, but I just started a "real" league and had to spend 30 minutes searching for true rookie records to input into my record book. Now the hope is that since I've cleared those records, the AI will actually update them when they are broken. I've seen instances where this does not happen.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:14 AM   #457
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Was trading them for each other or
It was trading them for players who already cleared waivers - who they could have taken with a waiver claim

I'm not sure which is worse. Waivers is broken or the game is trading it's first round picks for players who cleared waivers.

All of this is on top of the fact that players not on the 40-man don't even have to clear waivers after the trade deadline. The rules aren't that difficult they are documented all over the internet, could someone have read them? Could someone on the beta team have passed these tidbits along?

Lynch,

It was my responsiblity to document the baseball rules and forward them to Markus. You'd be surprised at the number of rules that are posted on the Internet that directly contradict each other. Unfortunately, I had to mull through these posts as well as the current CBA to come up with a list of rules that we thought best to put in the game. These rules, for the most part are replicated in the game, but some are not (due to various reasons, as you'll see below).

Programmatically it proved difficult to conduct post deadline trades via waiver claims only. Therefore, the decision was made to "make a trade" and THEN place the players on waivers. If the players were not claimed, then the trade would go through. Doing it the "correct" way proved to be an exercise in futility and it was determined that we needed to "bend" this rule a bit. Also, rules stipulate that draft picks cannot be traded until one full year has passed. This is also not the case in OOTP, as the other rules of the sport took priority (option years, 40-man rosters, etc.).

I'll admit that players not on the 40-man roster being waived escaped my radar during beta testing. I can't catch everything, nor can the rest of the beta testers, though we do our jobs to the best of our ability. Unfortunately, that's ultimately no excuse as it IS our job.

At this point, I am pleased with the state of the game. Sure, there are some things here and there that need to be tweaked, but the game has a great engine and depth that is arguably the best in the industry (only CM and FoF come to my mind as possibly being deemed 'more detailed').

Regarding home-field advantage - it was a small tweak that was added after the initial release, but I can assure you that (although small) it is based on research and not conjecture. Again, it may have to be tweaked just a bit, but I think it's a great first attempt to better replicate home and away won-loss records.

In the meantime, I can only speak for myself, but I will try to do a better job making sure that every possible iteration of any rule implementation is thoroughly tested before release.

Thank you,

Craig
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:22 AM   #458
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
The rules aren't that difficult they are documented all over the internet, could someone have read them? Could someone on the beta team have passed these tidbits along?

I have to concur with Craig here. Major League Baseball does not make its rules in terms of rosters, player movement, etc. available to the public/media. Everything that is available has been gleaned from watching, and it is very easy for them to be interpreted incorrectly. If different media outlets interpret them differently, you will have two different versions of a rule published, with no reference to look up the text of the rule.

Last edited by Samdari : 04-22-2004 at 07:25 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #459
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
He still didn't fix the rookie records issue. Not a biggie, but I just started a "real" league and had to spend 30 minutes searching for true rookie records to input into my record book. Now the hope is that since I've cleared those records, the AI will actually update them when they are broken. I've seen instances where this does not happen.

I can tell you that it is being worked on and I'm not going to give up on it. I'll hound Markus until it gets fixed.

I am seeing all of the rookie records update except the BA record. From what I am seeing, it only updates when the new record is over .300.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:57 AM   #460
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Lynch,

It was my responsiblity to document the baseball rules and forward them to Markus. You'd be surprised at the number of rules that are posted on the Internet that directly contradict each other. Unfortunately, I had to mull through these posts as well as the current CBA to come up with a list of rules that we thought best to put in the game. These rules, for the most part are replicated in the game, but some are not (due to various reasons, as you'll see below).

Programmatically it proved difficult to conduct post deadline trades via waiver claims only. Therefore, the decision was made to "make a trade" and THEN place the players on waivers. If the players were not claimed, then the trade would go through. Doing it the "correct" way proved to be an exercise in futility and it was determined that we needed to "bend" this rule a bit. Also, rules stipulate that draft picks cannot be traded until one full year has passed. This is also not the case in OOTP, as the other rules of the sport took priority (option years, 40-man rosters, etc.).

I'll admit that players not on the 40-man roster being waived escaped my radar during beta testing. I can't catch everything, nor can the rest of the beta testers, though we do our jobs to the best of our ability. Unfortunately, that's ultimately no excuse as it IS our job.

At this point, I am pleased with the state of the game. Sure, there are some things here and there that need to be tweaked, but the game has a great engine and depth that is arguably the best in the industry (only CM and FoF come to my mind as possibly being deemed 'more detailed').

Regarding home-field advantage - it was a small tweak that was added after the initial release, but I can assure you that (although small) it is based on research and not conjecture. Again, it may have to be tweaked just a bit, but I think it's a great first attempt to better replicate home and away won-loss records.

In the meantime, I can only speak for myself, but I will try to do a better job making sure that every possible iteration of any rule implementation is thoroughly tested before release.

Thank you,

Craig

Good post, Craig.

I appreciate the info you've been giving us. Please keep it up. And so far, I have been very happy with this version. I was less than thrilled with the upgrade from v4 to v5, but the addition of a brand new engine, better player development, and all the new financial rules was a significant update. I'm sure it will need tweaks, but Markus usually gets the product in shape pretty quickly.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:59 AM   #461
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
I can tell you that it is being worked on and I'm not going to give up on it. I'll hound Markus until it gets fixed.

I am seeing all of the rookie records update except the BA record. From what I am seeing, it only updates when the new record is over .300.

Cool. Like I said, not a biggie, but sometimes the smallest things can be the most frustrating, especially when I concentrate on fictional leagues and like to create my own history and records.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 AM   #462
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Cool. Like I said, not a biggie, but sometimes the smallest things can be the most frustrating, especially when I concentrate on fictional leagues and like to create my own history and records.

This bug has been around for as long as I can remember. It's time for it to be fixed! Hopefulyy this one and the rookie records in the first year problem will be fixed soon.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #463
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Skydog Homefield advantage?

Skydog

do you recommend to have home advantage on?

does team batting and pitching rating go up in the background? what makes the homefield advantage?

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #464
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

jbmagic,

Homefield advantage is leading in the bottom of the 9th by three runs and having the home team come from behind and score 5 to win. That's what happened to me last night ... damn closer.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:00 AM   #465
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I want to chime in here as well. For TPF, I originally planned on following the NFL rule that vests all players at the start of the regular season and then do pro-rated contracts for the salaries for players added in mid-season. This process would exactly mimic the pros. The problem was that this added a lot of unneeded complexity to the game and would have been a real bear to manage in multiplayer league. The cap would have been full of pro-rated salaries on teams with a bunch of injuries and users would undoubtedly get confused at times.

So, I made a compromise and had all players that made over $1 mil have their salaries vested at game 1. But, the AI and humans could cut lower salaries in midseason to get some cash back to sign low salary backups and have the game manageable. Since the origin of this rule was to prevent teams out of contention from cutting high salary guys in week 12 after they are out of the playoffs to save some cash, this "compromise" keeps the spirit of the rule and makes it more manageable for players.

The point here is that these are games. As a developer, you want them to be realistic and fun. So, if making small changes like Markus and Craig did on OOTP (and I did on TPF) helps make the game a little more manageable, I think you have to do that from time to time - as long as the spirit of the rule is still intact.

Arlie

Last edited by Arles : 04-22-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #466
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
jbmagic,

Homefield advantage is leading in the bottom of the 9th by three runs and having the home team come from behind and score 5 to win. That's what happened to me last night ... damn closer.

Is this happening a lot, or more often than it used to? I don't want an automatic win, but something that more closely approximates reality is a welcomed addition.

I simmed 10 years last night, but I went to sleep (preparing for the resumption of the NHL playoffs tonight) and haven't had a chance to look at the outputs yet.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #467
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Is this happening a lot, or more often than it used to? I don't want an automatic win, but something that more closely approximates reality is a welcomed addition.

I simmed 10 years last night, but I went to sleep (preparing for the resumption of the NHL playoffs tonight) and haven't had a chance to look at the outputs yet.

Hard to tell, so far just looking at my team alone, six games have been decided in the 8th inning or later with the home team coming out on top (I did not count close games where the away team won, because I figured HFA didn't take much effect in that instance). I've simmed 25 games so far this season, and *I* myself have actually played about 10 of the 25, the one instance I recalled up there was my most recent account, this has happened three times in ten games for me.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:51 AM   #468
thomamon
n00b

Hey SkyDog,

Thanks so much for all of your work. I have really enjoyed reading your results and following what you have done. I have come here from the a link on the OOTP Boards awhile back.

Just to let people here who are curious about importing from an OOTP 5 League to an OOTP 6 League, I am running a study of my own thanks to your inspirarion, that should determine how this works. I hope to have some results done today and for more information on my study you can see my post at:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...threadid=61717

TM
thomamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #469
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
Hard to tell, so far just looking at my team alone, six games have been decided in the 8th inning or later with the home team coming out on top (I did not count close games where the away team won, because I figured HFA didn't take much effect in that instance). I've simmed 25 games so far this season, and *I* myself have actually played about 10 of the 25, the one instance I recalled up there was my most recent account, this has happened three times in ten games for me.

I can personally vouch that the changes that were made ARE NOT situational (i.e. The game doesn't say, "hmm...home team down by 2 in the bottom of the 9th...let's string some hits together...") and, if anything, Markus erred on the side of caution. There were a few statistics used to demonstrate home field advantage, and he tempered these down a bit.

The hometeam outburst referenced here is nothing more than random chance.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:24 PM   #470
thomamon
n00b

I agree, I have had this happen before the Home Field Advantage was put in place in the game.

Quote:
I can personally vouch that the changes that were made ARE NOT situational (i.e. The game doesn't say, "hmm...home team down by 2 in the bottom of the 9th...let's string some hits together...") and, if anything, Markus erred on the side of caution. There were a few statistics used to demonstrate home field advantage, and he tempered these down a bit.

The hometeam outburst referenced here is nothing more than random chance.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:32 PM   #471
Ben E Lou

I'll chime in here too. There is no "grassy knoll" here. Three Four things:

1. It is very straightforward and therefore of no alarm that it was added so quickly.
2. It is based on real-life, cold, hard numbers.
3. I can't quite figure out why there is so much secrecy around how it is implemented, but because I'm a no-NDA-signin' last minute addition, I'll stick to the party line.
4. It may in the end need a hair of tweaking (and it may not), but there's no question in my mind whatsoever that this new implementation increases the realism of the game. The only reason I can think of for someone not to use this feature would be if they LIKE the unrealistic home-away splits of previous versions.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-22-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:45 PM   #472
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

It wasn't so much a theory, just an observation

Thanks for clearing that up though, Craig
Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #473
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomamon
Hey SkyDog,

Thanks so much for all of your work. I have really enjoyed reading your results and following what you have done. I have come here from the a link on the OOTP Boards awhile back.

Just to let people here who are curious about importing from an OOTP 5 League to an OOTP 6 League, I am running a study of my own thanks to your inspirarion, that should determine how this works. I hope to have some results done today and for more information on my study you can see my post at:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...threadid=61717

TM

I'm interested in this as well. Post the results here too, if you don't mind. I'm a member at ootp, but I'm here MUCH more frequently.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #474
jbmagic
Pro Starter

are you guys CraigSca and skydog going to have homefield advanage on always?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #475
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
are you guys CraigSca and skydog going to have homefield advanage on always?
Let me repeat myself
Quote:
there's no question in my mind whatsoever that this new implementation increases the realism of the game. The only reason I can think of for someone not to use this feature would be if they LIKE the unrealistic home-away splits of previous versions.
I have it turned on 100% of the time. The only explanation I can think of for it being something that can be toggled is that Markus is aware that people fear change.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #476
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

My OOTP pet peeves so far:

1. No game manual was ready at time of release. For many, this probably wasn't a problem, but for me who knows very little about baseball, it has been really frustrating. I was very eager to start playing this game, but found there were tons of things I wasn't very sure of. Anybody know when it will be released.

2. I've played through about five games, watching the teams. I've noticed several instances where the batter hits a grounder to short stop with someone on third. The short stop throws to first, and the guy on third scores. Now I admit I know very little, but I did play two years in high school and have watched several games on t.v. I've never seen this happen. Usually the short stop will glance to third and hold the runner before throwing to first base.

3. I wish there was a menu option where you could compare team performance over time. I have not found one yet. I would ultimately like to sim several seasons and then take over the worst team during that time period and build them into a contender (or at least try to). It would also be nice if there were one page that listed team rankings such as payroll, scoring, etc.

4. The most annoying thing that has happened to me is that I've had several crashes. I don't understand why these are happening, I'm not running any other programs at the same time, but when I finish playing out a game, I get a message saying windows has encountered a problem and needs to close.

5. When you play games, you have the option to require warming up your relief pitchers. However, this option doesn't apply to the computer. I think it should, it would add an extra element to gameplay for me as well as even things up a little while trying to play realistically. I know I can turn the option off, but I like the strategy aspect of trying to figure out if my starter can go another inning or not before bringing someone in.

Ok, those are things that have been driving me a little crazy.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:12 PM   #477
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
My OOTP pet peeves so far:

1. No game manual was ready at time of release. For many, this probably wasn't a problem, but for me who knows very little about baseball, it has been really frustrating. I was very eager to start playing this game, but found there were tons of things I wasn't very sure of. Anybody know when it will be released. You can get the basics from the ootp5 manual, I know that doesn't help you with some of the v6 changes, but it has alot of useful stuff in it. You can get the file here: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp/downloads.php

2. I've played through about five games, watching the teams. I've noticed several instances where the batter hits a grounder to short stop with someone on third. The short stop throws to first, and the guy on third scores. Now I admit I know very little, but I did play two years in high school and have watched several games on t.v. I've never seen this happen. Usually the short stop will glance to third and hold the runner before throwing to first base. That's correct. If a guy is on 2nd base, he'll be looked back, but someone should almost always score from 3rd on a grounder to 2nd base.. unless it's a rocket or a very slow runner.

3. I wish there was a menu option where you could compare team performance over time. I have not found one yet. I would ultimately like to sim several seasons and then take over the worst team during that time period and build them into a contender (or at least try to). It would also be nice if there were one page that listed team rankings such as payroll, scoring, etc. In v5 goto the 'News' section and there are reports for all kinds of things like financials, batting, pitching, fielding, etc..

4. The most annoying thing that has happened to me is that I've had several crashes. I don't understand why these are happening, I'm not running any other programs at the same time, but when I finish playing out a game, I get a message saying windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. Can't help you with this one, I've have 0 problems with v5.

5. When you play games, you have the option to require warming up your relief pitchers. However, this option doesn't apply to the computer. I think it should, it would add an extra element to gameplay for me as well as even things up a little while trying to play realistically. I know I can turn the option off, but I like the strategy aspect of trying to figure out if my starter can go another inning or not before bringing someone in. That's been a complaint for quite some time.

Ok, those are things that have been driving me a little crazy.

I might be wrong on a thing or two. I haven't played v6 quite yet.

Todd
Old 04-22-2004, 01:13 PM   #478
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
2. I've played through about five games, watching the teams. I've noticed several instances where the batter hits a grounder to short stop with someone on third. The short stop throws to first, and the guy on third scores. Now I admit I know very little, but I did play two years in high school and have watched several games on t.v. I've never seen this happen. Usually the short stop will glance to third and hold the runner before throwing to first base.

If a ball is hit deep in the hole the runner on 3rd will break for home, and usually the only play the SS has is to get the out at first base. Same thing with a real slow roller. If a ball is hit sharply at SS, I agree - the SS will hold the runner at 3rd before getting the out at 1st.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:19 PM   #479
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Pet peeve after one day of playing...

Too MUCH CLICKING...

Scouting reports are not the DEFAULT setting when clicking on a player, instead I'm presented with the awards portion--please SWITCH this, or give us the option to do so...

Playing without ratings, talent only, I need to CLICK on Player Ratings to see how the player is rated...In past versions, the players talent was on the intial screen--again, needless clicking...

This is version 6, and I know it's been mentioned before, so how come when I'm viewing rosters with the TALENT ratings toggled, EVERYTIME I switch positions, I am moved back to STATS??? Why can't this just stay with whatever tag you have selected??? Again, NEEDLESS clicking...

I love OOTP, but I'll admit, it seems like its going to take a while to fall in love with this version...we'll see I guess...

Kevin
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #480
Ksyrup

3. I wish there was a menu option where you could compare team performance over time. I have not found one yet. I would ultimately like to sim several seasons and then take over the worst team during that time period and build them into a contender (or at least try to). It would also be nice if there were one page that listed team rankings such as payroll, scoring, etc. In v5 goto the 'News' section and there are reports for all kinds of things like financials, batting, pitching, fielding, etc..

Correct, but there is nothing that compares all of these things ove the course of the league history. The best way (only way) to do this that I have found is to look at a team's financial history on each team's front office screen. That provides you with the team's record, finish, payroll, and profit/loss for each year. But there is no side-by-side comparison of these things - you just have to look at each inidividual team's performance/profit separately.

Along these same lines, one thing on my wish list is an all-time records list for teams - complete W/L, winning %, playoff appearances, and titles. Something like what FOF already has.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-22-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:32 PM   #481
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Thanks guys. I have to admit that I'd never clicked on the news section before. I wish that it showed the historical standings of each team somewhere without having to go through each team individually. Also, the explanation about the infield hits seems to make sense to me now. I just installed the patch, but it didn't solve my windows crashing problem. That stinks, I had finally put together a decent team, now I can't advance past my last saved game.

Does anybody know how to pass on/report this window crashing bug to Markus or Craig? If so, what information should I send them?

Thanks
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #482
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Correct, but there is nothing that compares all of these things ove the course of the league history. The best way (only way) to do this that I have found is to look at a team's financial history on each team's front office screen. That provides you with the team's record, finish, payroll, and profit/loss for each year. But there is no side-by-side comparison of these things - you just have to look at each inidividual team's performance/profit separately.

Along these same lines, one thing on my wish list is an all-time records list for teams - complete W/L, winning %, playoff appearances, and titles. Something like what FOF already has.

Yeah, I was thinking about FOF, where it's so easy to see your team career totals. I'm at work, but I thought ootp had something like that... ahhh..wait, I'm thinking of Catobase, a utility kind of like Fido's FOF reporter, except for ootp. He doesn't have a version out for ootp6 yet, but wow it's awesome for ootp5 and has stuff like that. Sorry.

Todd
Old 04-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #483
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:

Does anybody know how to pass on/report this window crashing bug to Markus or Craig? If so, what information should I send them?

Thanks

Post on the message board in the troubleshooting forum.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:22 PM   #484
jbmagic
Pro Starter

does catobase have where you can see how the whole league did as a average in different stats per ..like HR average per year, era average, batting average, etc..

and does it have how a whole league did in its career in stats average too?

this will be great when you doing test leagues to get your league as close to the mlb average...

thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #485
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

SkyDog,

Regarding the issue of how the high-round draft picks seem to dominate the career leaderboards (and maybe I need to RTFThread), how many rounds do you draft? Since the MLB Draft typically goes 60 rounds or more (Mike Piazza anyone?) could this be an explanation?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #486
Ben E Lou

No. That isn't the issue. The tests were done with 10-round drafts, and that's about the max you really can do in OOTP6, due to only having one minor league team at each level, and no rookie league teams. You just don't have room on your rosters for any more players. In fact, because of the roster space issue, I'm switching to a 7-round draft for my actual careers. Markus has addressed it somewhat. It *might* require more tweaking, but it definitely has gotten better.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:19 PM   #487
korme
Go Reds

Shub posted a cool ESPN themed skin: http://www.shub.net/skins/espnskin.htm

Here's the download link: http://www.shub.net/downloads/OOTP6_ESPN_Skin.zip

Fortunately, Shub didn't incorporate slow load times to his new skin.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:02 PM   #488
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Shub posted a cool ESPN themed skin: http://www.shub.net/skins/espnskin.htm

Here's the download link: http://www.shub.net/downloads/OOTP6_ESPN_Skin.zip

Fortunately, Shub didn't incorporate slow load times to his new skin.

That guy is good. Although he should of had my logos on his screenshots.

Todd
Old 04-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #489
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Lynch,

Thank you,

Craig

A nicer response then I deserved. I should thank you guys for taking the time to implement the rules. They add a lot.

One thing I'd love to see is this:

I'd like to prompt the game to tell me when players of a certain position get put on waivers. If i'm looking for a catcher, I'd like it to tell me everytime a catcher gets waived. Looking every day gets old really fast - and it's usually only a couple of spots I'd even be able to really upgrade a claim with.

Edit: Also if somehow post July 31st trading could be disabled as an option, that would be cool as well. None of the players the game is looking to make trades for are going to get through waivers anyway.

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 04-22-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #490
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

It isn't realistic but since I sim a week at a time, I put the waiver wire on 7 days. That way I just check every Monday and it works ok for me. I don't know if you play out your games or not, but just a thought.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:41 PM   #491
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
It isn't realistic but since I sim a week at a time, I put the waiver wire on 7 days. That way I just check every Monday and it works ok for me. I don't know if you play out your games or not, but just a thought.

I sort of do that now. But I'd like to be able to get my players through in less then 7 days when I need to. Otherwise you get that email everyday telling you someone placed a claim.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:06 PM   #492
PSUColonel1

Question- In the waiver wire process, Do AI teams constantly evaluate their roster and look for wire pickups, or is it similar to the free agent process where everything(roster moves) is done on a Monday? If so, why is there even an option in single player to customize the number of days a player has to clear waivers?

One more question: Whay kind of a solo play experience does OOTP bring to the table? How does it rank(in order) with other solo sim games?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:12 PM   #493
FBPro
College Starter

I think roster moves are done every day now.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:57 PM   #494
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I fully regret buying this game. I am having more problems than it is worth. I also can not get any tech support either from the OOTP forms. OOTP Developments struck out on this one. If I only I could load the game...
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #495
thomamon
n00b

OK, as requested I will post my results here for everyone to see... To make it simple, I am just copying what I have posted on the OOTP Boards. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

OK, With seeing everybody wondering about this and the ratings I figured I would actually do something about it once and for all and post results right here for everyone to see. Here is a summary of what I am doing.

First: Sim a standard league of fictional players in OOTP 5 of 10 Seasons

Second: Sim a standard league of fictional players in OOTP 6 of 10 seasons

When this is done I will now import my OOTP5Test League into OOTP 6.

I will export .csv's for the ratings for both leagues and will post a detailed report comparing the two.

After that I will sim one season in OOTP 6 of both leagues, the newly imported one from 5 and the current test league in 6. I will then post a detailed report of stats and see how the stats from the 11th season of the imported league match up to the stats from the 11th season from the OOTP 6 league.

At that point depending on results, I will continue to sim seasons comparing stats if need be to see how long it take for the Imported league to match the ratings of the OOTP 6 league.

One way or another, when I am done we should have an idea if there really are way too many good players becoming great on the conversion or if we are over evaluating.

Something tells me we should have trust in OOTP and Markus, because I think everything will be OK.

OK, Just got back and both leagues are done simming their first 10 seasons. Just to keep it simple, I started in the year 2000 and simmed through 2009 for both leagues. I have just imported the OOTP 5 league into OOTP 6 so now the real work will begin. Just so you don't get confused, I will call the OOTP 5 league that I imported into OOTP 6, OOTP5. I will refer to the original OOTP 6 leage as OOTP6.

Here is some info so far based on the stuff rating, which seemed to be the main problem:

OOTP5: OK, after import there are 21 pitchers with a rating of 100 in the Almanac, Display all Players of League. When I exported the ratings to a .csv file there are 17 players who have a talent rating of 100 or higher. They range from 100-151. This is much improved since the patch has been released. In my original league, there were 70 players with a talent rating in stuff of 100 or more. The top 500 pitchers in this league have an average stuff rating of 80.06.

OOTP6: OK, after 10 seasons in this league there are only 4 pitchers with a rating of 100 in the Almanac, Display all Players of League. When I exported the ratings to a .csv file there are 14 players who have a talent rating of 100 or higher. They range from 100-107. The top 500 pitchers in this league have an average stuff rating of 66.31.

Conclusion? It still looks like the pitching ratings are a little higher when you import a league from OOTP 5 into OOTP 6.

Compare the numbers:

Player with:

OOTP 5

OOTP 6

Alm. Stuff Rating  100 or higher

.csv Stuff Rating 100 or higher

.csv Stuff Rating Range

100-151

100-107

Average Stuff Rating Top 500

Well, Well, Well... I have simmed the first season after importing OOTP5 into OOTP6 and also simmed the equivelant season of OOTP 6 and the results are quite amazing. Work with me with this because when I copy and past some of the stats onto this page, I am not quite sure how it is going to work. Remember, I used all the default settings and did not change anything.

OK, I am having problems trying to get the text to format correctly on the message board, so I am going just make some links up to my website where I will post the stats that I have compared from the first season. I will have it up in about 10 minutes.

OK, Here is my conclusion of the first season after the import from OOTP 5 compared to the equivelant season in the OOTP 6 League.

As far as I am concerned, I am quite satisfied with the stats the import has provided. While the offense is a bit heavy, it is not unrealistic of what we see in modern day baseball. As a matter of fact it seems to me to be quite on basel. Even the pitching stats seem to be OK. Now, here is a link to the page with the comparison stats. If you have any questions, please let me know and I would be glad to provide any more information.

http://www.primetimeheat.com/2010seascomp.htm

Just a side note...

OOTP5 Imported - Under the Player Almanac, All Players... 15 pitchers are coming up with a 100 rating. 2 Less then last season.

OOTP 6 League - Under the Player Almanac, All Players. 1 Pitcher is coming up with a 100 ratings. 3 less than last sesaon.

Last edited by thomamon : 04-22-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:33 PM   #496
CraigSca
Pro Starter

GE,

What are the problems you are having?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #497
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I get a RTE: Abnormal Program Termination. I am on 601. I have Driect 3D disabled, Sound Enabled.

RAM - 512 M
OS - Windows XP
free HD Sapce - 27.5 GB
Screen Resolution - 1024 x 768
Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #498
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This may sound stupid, but do you have your anti-virus software on? I've heard of people having problems with that.

Does it crash in-game, or can you just not run it at all? What OS are you running?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:45 PM   #499
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

No - no anti-virus software.

It crashes in game when I ever try to load a league or begin a new league. I am running Windows XP.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #500
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

GE: Have you ever started a new game? I had a similar problem when I opened a test league, deleted that league while I was playing, and then tried to open another league. It tried to save the test league when there wasn't a place for it.