Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #451
RainMaker
General Manager

It sounded minor but the Wrigley fix was a big deal to me. Glad they got that done. I'm up for free agency (i think) in my RTTS and I definitely want to sign with the Cubbies.

Does anyone hear know when you become a free agent in the game? I spent 2 years in the minors and finishing up my 4th in the majors.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #452
Zē+
High School JV

Is anyone else having issues after downloading the patch? I can't continue my franchise -- it will load up, and then while on the schedule page, the game shuts off and I get booted back to the PS3 menu. Very, very frustrating. I tried visiting the OS forums, but it was just 100+ pages of bickering, I didn't feel like wasting two hours weeding through the crap posts to get to the helpful ones. Maybe I can try to figure out a way to delete the patch and move back to the original version...

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Zē+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 AM   #453
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zē+ View Post
Is anyone else having issues after downloading the patch? I can't continue my franchise -- it will load up, and then while on the schedule page, the game shuts off and I get booted back to the PS3 menu. Very, very frustrating. I tried visiting the OS forums, but it was just 100+ pages of bickering, I didn't feel like wasting two hours weeding through the crap posts to get to the helpful ones. Maybe I can try to figure out a way to delete the patch and move back to the original version...

Delete the game data (not the saved games) and then when you reload the disk you will reload the game without a patch
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #454
Zē+
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenigma510 View Post
Delete the game data (not the saved games) and then when you reload the disk you will reload the game without a patch

Thanks for the advice!

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Zē+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #455
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

OKay, I'm kind of bummed about the auto-baserunning "fix." I use auto-base running, but liked that I could tell my guys when to steal. Now I can't? That sucks.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #456
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Has anyone DL'd any of the rosters up at OS? If so which is the best one?

I've tried Riddins and the one that says something like OSRoster. That's the one done by Knight.

They're both solid, but I think Knight's is better.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #457
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
OKay, I'm kind of bummed about the auto-baserunning "fix." I use auto-base running, but liked that I could tell my guys when to steal. Now I can't? That sucks.

I know that was listed as a "feature" in the patch, but I've downloaded it and can still use L2 to steal with auto-baserunning on. Unless the three times I've tried it the AI told the runner to go for it and just hadn't felt it was the right time when I haven't pressed the button...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #458
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I know that was listed as a "feature" in the patch, but I've downloaded it and can still use L2 to steal with auto-baserunning on. Unless the three times I've tried it the AI told the runner to go for it and just hadn't felt it was the right time when I haven't pressed the button...

Good to hear. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #459
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zē+ View Post

Just happened to me as well. I can't get past a certain point in my RTTS career, either by playing or by simming.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #460
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Post-patch issue in franchise - anyone else having trouble firing coaches in the offseason of franchise mode. I fire the guy like normal but it doesn't seem to register, when I hit [] to look at everyone he is still there and a I cannot sign a replacement.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #461
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Just happened to me as well. I can't get past a certain point in my RTTS career, either by playing or by simming.

If you delete the game data file (not the saved game), you can reload the game pre-patch and continue your RTTS or franchise.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #462
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
If you delete the game data file (not the saved game), you can reload the game pre-patch and continue your RTTS or franchise.

Tried it, but it didn't work. Based on what I've read on some other boards, it's a schedule issue (something about two games on the same day). And I guess the damage is already done because I can't get past that point no matter what I try.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #463
darkenigma510
n00b

are you in September by chance?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #464
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
are you in September by chance?

Don't think so. I'm early in the season - May maybe.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #465
Cuckoo
College Starter

Found a tip on another board that seems to have worked for me. Without changing days on the schedule screen, hit R2 to cycle to another team's schedule. Then "sim to next appearance" from that screen rather than your own team.

I was able to play the next game, and I now seem to even be able to sim from my own team's schedule again.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #466
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Disappointing to see this information. This hasn't been a problem in the past iterations.

Troubling MLB 09 The Show Patch | pastapadre.com
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #467
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Disappointing to see this information. This hasn't been a problem in the past iterations.

I haven't followed the patch issues. I have a RTTS career going (year 5) and I haven't had any problems with crashes at all (pre and post patch). Could I see a post patch crash even though I'm able to continue my RTTS without any problems?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #468
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I haven't followed the patch issues. I have a RTTS career going (year 5) and I haven't had any problems with crashes at all (pre and post patch). Could I see a post patch crash even though I'm able to continue my RTTS without any problems?

Not sure. I honestly have been busy with a sick child and work, so I have the good fortune of never having installed this patch. I'll probably just hold off on it until a new patch becomes available given the feedback.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #469
Logan
Head Coach

I haven't had an issue with my franchise yet but I did notice that the replays aren't working. There's no players on the field, just a floating bat.

Amazing that something like that can get by.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #470
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

I was able to continue my RTTS for some time after the patch before it started crashing. After using the workaround noted above, I got through that trouble spot but continued to see sporadic crashes for the remainder of the season. Each time, I would have to reload and do the workaround above to get through it. I'm about to start the next season and am hoping that the issue was schedule-related and therefore won't be present in the new season. We'll see.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #471
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hell, I'm glad to see it's the patch that cause the post game highlight problem and that it's being fixed. I thought it was something corrupted in my save file.

I play season mode so no trouble continuing my current game. Thank goodness I'd hate to start over 70+ games in.

I know I wouldn't revert back to the last patch. That one seemed to cause problems for me, especially with auto baserunning. I had guys trying to go first to third on hits to left field getting thrown out by 30 feet. Got sick of it and reverted back to the default game and the problem disappeared. Also not seeing it with the current 1.06. So thanks but no thanks to going back to 1.01. I'll just wait for 1.07 or whatever they end up calling the replay fix.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #472
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just got this on Saturday and just loading it for the first time, I have to say that is an awesome opening video. Waiting 6-7 minutes for it to load to my HDD now is not. Besides the rosters mentioned in post 457, are there other files that are recommended downloads?

Edit: Also, since I'm starting with the 1.06 patch, I should be good to go with RTTS or Franchise, right?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-05-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #473
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Just got this on Saturday and just loading it for the first time, I have to say that is an awesome opening video. Waiting 6-7 minutes for it to load to my HDD now is not. Besides the rosters mentioned in post 457, are there other files that are recommended downloads?

Edit: Also, since I'm starting with the 1.06 patch, I should be good to go with RTTS or Franchise, right?

Don't worry, the loading thing only happens once. First time you play it takes like 5 or 6 minutes but after that its like 30 seconds.

For the rosters, I don't think I mentioned this in my last post. If you use Knights roster, which I believe comes up as "OSRosters" on the roster vault, I'm fairly sure there will be a glitch in the historical stats. A-Rod is the major one (This may have been fixed in the patch, but I think that since his rosters were made before hand, it isn't). But, these rosters are better quality.

Riddin's Rosters are very good as well, and they don't have the glitch. They're a little bit less detailed, but I use them and am very, very happy with them.

Finally, with a little bit of work, you can load up the real walkup music for the team you play as (and anyone else you'd like to hear real music for). Check the "Sounds of the Show" thread on OS for that stuff. But, if you do want to do this, do it to the roster BEFORE you start a franchise. Then, if you need to restart your franchise, you dont need to load in all the music again.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #474
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just finished 1 exhibition game and was very impressed with how it looked and the little details, such as the strong shift on Ryan Howard or the arguments players got into, or the various crowd chants and animations. I was pleasantly surprised when the cut scene with the Phillie Phantic working up the crowd happened after we scored our 1st run. Looking forward to having more time to play this weekend.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #475
JS19
College Prospect

Is there a way to control the computer's roster? (Im playing in franchise mode). I was browsing through the league stats and noticed the Yankees have ARod in triple-A. I d/l a set of rosters before I started my franchise, so I'm assuming they had him down there bc of his injury, but if there is a way I would like to get him on their 25 man roster.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #476
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Any slider sets that people recommend? Also, are different sliders needed for franchise vs RTTS? I'm hoping to get both started tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #477
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Any slider sets that people recommend? Also, are different sliders needed for franchise vs RTTS? I'm hoping to get both started tomorrow or Saturday.

I'm not sure that many people use sliders to be honest. It's a very good setup right out of the box. I haven't touched them personally.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #478
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Batting sliders are more of a personal thing depending on how good you are at the game.

I drop fielder speed down a tick and bump runner speed up one to try and force a few more singles into doubles.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #479
Logan
Head Coach

I used sliders I found over on OS. I don't remember who they belonged to and I don't have time to get back there, but I had emailed them to myself so I'll just paste here. I tinkered a bit more with them as I saw fit (like the -5's seemed a bit drastic). Ignore the comments, they're not mine.

Quote:
GAMEPLAY SETTINGS:

API: On (And again, I ALWAYS pitch what pitch type and location catcher chooses).

Ump balls/strikes: Variable (A MUST)

Diff: Veteran

Pitch Intrfce: Meter

Guess Pitch: 1/4

Auto baserunning: Auto(personal preference, doesnt matter. only thing is that cpu likes to go to third from first on singles, hv been thrown out a few times, as have i thrown out the cpu. so its fair!)

Swing influence: Off(never have even tried it, nor want to. dont think it effects anything on veteran anyway)

Pitcher Confidence: On(definate must)

Field assist: Auto(personal pref again, fair that my fielders react and play to their ratings, not my gameplay.)

PCI: Off(had it on until i got timing down right, so if ur havin trouble hitting, do that until u get better. it really helps u seee how the game works with hitting, and with guess pitch at 1/4 u can really see it).

Strike zone: On

Hot zones: Off

Add or substracting from default setting which is 5

GLOBAL SLIDERS

Pitch spd: -5

Field Errors: -2(was averaging at least 1 error a game either for me or cpu, and too many bobbled balls in infield that wasnt scoring as errors but in my mind they were).

Throw errors: -5

Fielder run spd: -5

Fielder reaction: -5

Fielder arm strength: -5

Baserunner spd: 0

Steal ability: +2(getting caught, and throwin cpu out too often, may move uup 1 more later).

Steal freq: +1(may go up more cuz i have auto base running on, cpu will attempt for me which is mkinda cool. i cn still do it myself tho. but i dont think the attempt enough against me or for me.)

Wind: 0 (hard to even tell when wind is effecting the ball or not)

Injury freq.: 0 (enough injuries when simming already to keep u busy enough in ur chise or season).

USER SLIDERS

Power: +5 (lol.. never thought Id have to ever max out human power on a baseball game).

Timing: +2

Fouls: -1 (have yet to figure out exactly what this does bso just gonna leave it here, prolly would be fine at default).

Solid hits: +4

SP stamina: 0

RP stamina: -3 (able to go too many innings in a game with mrp's imo... this seemed to be needed)

Pitcher control: -5 (throwing bb's now!!)

Pitcher consistency: -3 (combo of these two are "perfect")

CPU SLIDERS

Power: -5

Timing: -5

Fouls: -3 (again, dont know what it does, but getting good results with these sliders as is)

Solid hits: -5

SP stamina: 0

RP stamina: -3

Pitcher control: -5

Pitch consistency: -3

Strike freq.: -5

Manager hook: 0

Pickoff: -5 (still throw over too much if u take just one step, annoying but ohh well!)

Last edited by Logan : 05-08-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #480
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'd really advise against those sliders. Those would change the gameplay substantially IMO. They reek of a player who doesn't know what the heck he's doing and adjusts it to make it much easier for himself.

The only slider I've heard regularly mentioned is any adjustments to increase the chance of a double. Usually, runner speed is bumped up a notch to achieve that.

I'd also mention that anyone who is a good sports sim player shouldn't play this game on any less than All-Star difficulty. Veteran might provide a fair challenge through the first 20-30 games, but you'll start beating that level with regularity soon after. All-Star will be tough at first, but will provide the best long-term challenge. You can always start the career at Veteran and move it up as well. You don't have to keep the same difficulty level throughout the whole career.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-08-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #481
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

He's right about the relief pitcher stamina. Everyone in the bullpen can always go multiple innings at any time.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #482
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Definitely a wide disparity of opinions on sliders it appears. I can't wait to start my Starting Pitcher's RTTS career tonight. I'm eventually going to do a 3B or LF one as well, but hitting was really hard for me the few times I messed around with it while pitching with Cole Hamels was very fun.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #483
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Man, my 18 year old pitcher got drafted by the Pirates. Spring training against major league hitters is hard enough without the keystone cops playing behind me. 4 errors already in my 2nd start.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #484
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola -

Does anyone know if different catchers have different ratings for how good of a game they call? In the exhibition games I played, Ruiz seemed to call a good game, but in my RTTS career with the Pirates, I'm doing much better since I have started ignoring my catcher who calls far too many balls over the middle of the plate.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #485
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I've toned down pitching control 2-3 notches and pitcher consistency one notch for both the player and CPU and I'm loving the improvements. I walked 5 batters last night, and even when I "do" hit the mark on the pitching meter, if I nibble too much there's a much greater chance I'm not going to hit my mark.

Going to try this change. My 18 year old pitcher who is supposed to have F control only has 2 walks in 6 spring training starts.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-08-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #486
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Double Dola -

Does anyone know if different catchers have different ratings for how good of a game they call? In the exhibition games I played, Ruiz seemed to call a good game, but in my RTTS career with the Pirates, I'm doing much better since I have started ignoring my catcher who calls far too many balls over the middle of the plate.

All the catchers call the game the same way, and yes, while sometimes their advice is ok, a few times they ask for a non sense ball that is hit for a HR. I listen to them but shake them off if i don't agree. Also i can't remember if they have ever told me to throw outside the strike zone.

I guess it's more or less realistic, also if you always listen to the catcher, you are missing a fun part of pitching that is guessing what and where to throw. In fact i'm thinking about turning it off.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #487
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, about sliders i must say that since past year, and after reading what one of the developers said about it, i decided to use the difficulty levels instead of messing with sliders.

I tend to mess too much with sliders in all sport games and it ends killing the enjoyment as everytime you find something that you don't like you edit the slider so you end not knowing if the game is playing properly or not.

I play RTTS as SP in HOF level and don't edit anything but:

Baserunner spd: +1
RP stamina: -2 (both user and cpu)
Pitcher control: -2 (both user and cpu)

Pitcher controls is tricky as it also depends from your Pitcher confidence. Have a few mistakes and you will start to walk guys way more as your confidence goes down. On the other hand if you are having a good game, you will start to own all the batters.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #488
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Man, my 18 year old pitcher got drafted by the Pirates. Spring training against major league hitters is hard enough without the keystone cops playing behind me. 4 errors already in my 2nd start.

Wait until you play in AA with your slow and error prone team mates.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #489
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Wait until you play in AA with your slow and error prone team mates.

Played 3 games with them last night and they weren't too bad at all. In fact, they have only made 1 error behind me in 8 innings (over 3 appearances) and I've pitched 8 scoreless innings so I've upped the difficulty from Veteran (where I was terrible at hitting) to All-Star. Hoping for more challenge now.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-09-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #490
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What's the current verdict on this one? I have 08 and enjoy it; is it worth upgrading?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #491
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What's the current verdict on this one? I have 08 and enjoy it; is it worth upgrading?

It's a MUCH better game that the 08 version.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #492
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have no idea what the 08 version was like, but RTTS in 09 is extremely fun for me so far. I only planned on playing for an hour or two last night, but I ended up playing for about 5. Ditto for this morning. I'm having a blast working through my first season as a starting pitcher, but I also keep thinking about creating a power hitting LF.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #493
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Took the plunge and bought a PS3 and The Show '09.. Too much fun. I'm home for the summer now, and last night my brother and I played for 3 hours or so. There hasn't been a game that we've sat down and played with each other in years. He all ready called me from work today and asked if I was ready to lose tonight. The RTTS has been a lot of fun so far too.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #494
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm very close to taking the plunge (just for this game) as well, simply waiting for the PS3 to finally do some sort of price drop. Until then, I'm enjoying living vicariously through a lot of your experiences with it.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #495
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else get pissed when they pitch 7 shutout innings only to have their bullpen blow it in the 8th? Really having a blast with my pitcher, but struggling with my LF who is still in spring training.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-09-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #496
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a MUCH better game that the 08 version.

If I may ask, what makes it so?

Sorry, just trying to plan my future purchases/trade ins.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #497
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
If I may ask, what makes it so?

Sorry, just trying to plan my future purchases/trade ins.

I personally play the RTTS mode almost exclusively. The promotion portion of the game seems much more refined. I don't find myself wondering about why I'm still at a certain level nearly as much.

The in-game achievements are much better as well. I don't have nearly as many head-scratching moments in regards to points being awarded. The manager goals are more reachable when compared to last year's version.

The other vast improvement from my perspective is the ability to skip baserunning for your player. Unless you're a speedster, the baserunning gets old in a big hurry. It saves a LOT of time when you can skip that portion of the game when it's not needed.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #498
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I thought I would give this a bit of a bump. I got drafted by the Athletics as a third baseman and had one of the worst springs on record. In fact, I'm pretty sure Garth Brooks and Michael Jordan and Billy Crystal all out hit me. My first Spring Training: .117, 4 homeruns, 9 RBIs.

Needless to say, I was sent to Double A and the for the first month, the woes continued as I was relegated to playing first base. And then I slowly started figuring things out and entered June hitting .340 with 11 homeruns and 52 RBIs. I finally got to start at third base the last week of May (our third baseman got freaking injured earlier and they put somebody else at third instead of me!) and ended up being the Texas League South's starting third baseman for the All-Star Game.

Not too bad, now just awaiting a call up to Triple A although, as I'm not an A's fan, I've contemplated asking for a trade. Plus, I'm not what you would call the Billy Beane model player with my .341 average and .345 OBP.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 05-18-2009 at 06:47 AM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #499
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Ever since I bought a PS3 over a month ago I can't get enough of this game. I've only played the RTTS mode and I'm loving it. Right now I'm in the year 2013 and I'm the 2nd SP for the Giants. I got traded all over and this is the first National League team I've played for. I really suck at batting but it's nice to hit once in a while. My record is a modest 4-3 but my ERA is 2.98 and I have 44 K's with only 6 walks. Most starts I get about 200 points so I've been able to climb the ranks pretty quick. The Giants are also in first place (end of May) so this is the first team I've been on that is actually playing well.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #500
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Anybody have a RTTS problem where once it's time for batting practice, your player doesn't show up on the screen and you're just looking at the pitcher?