ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

USC WINS!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #452
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Vast difference between Pryor and Barkley in running the 2 minute drill.

Hell, Michigan fans see Forcier and Pryor and are grinning big time right now.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #453
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, I cannot describe how underwhelmed I am with the playcalling and Pryor.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #454
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I know moral victories don't count for much, but all of the Ohio State fans should be proud of their team. Great effort from the team tonight. I'm ecstatic that we managed to escape with a win tonight.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #455
Celeval
Pro Starter

This is one of those situations where I wouldn't have any issue with Ohio State not dropping in the rankings.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #456
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Pryor can be a great college QB (maybe as soon as this season), but he could probably be an elite NFL receiver within a few years. Not sure playing QB for Ohio State is his best career move, long term.

I think OSU and USC both look like two of the top 10 teams in the country (from what I have seen, so far).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #457
RendeR
Coordinator

Where the hell does ALabama come into the "elite teams" conversation? Musberger is fuckin senile =)
Old 09-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son just asked me how Barkley compares to Tebow as a freshman.

edit to add: I had to explain Tebow's use as a freshman & that he didn't take over until his second year. Funny thing to think about really, how much time passes during a player's college career. Big difference in my son at 7 vs 11.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #459
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In the end, it worked out just about perfect for me. OSU didn't make the Big Ten look bad, but still lost. Win, win.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #460
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
This is one of those situations where I wouldn't have any issue with Ohio State not dropping in the rankings.

+1.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #461
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Pryor either.

He just doesn't get it, he has all the physical skills but he doesn't have it between the ears and I don't see anything to suggest he will ever have it.

I'm thrilled with the way the defense played despite that last drive, they dominated USC's offensive line for most of the 2nd half.

That damn QB draw play when they stopped Pryor for a 4 yard loss, which knocked them out of FG position was a killer. Not to mention the stupid play calling to end the first half.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #462
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Where the hell does ALabama come into the "elite teams" conversation? Musberger is fuckin senile =)

Alabama 40
Florida Intl. 14

Hahahahaha.....yeah, Musberger is a loon. They are good, but a 26 point win over FIU is not exactly awe-inspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #463
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My son just asked me how Barkley compares to Tebow as a freshman.

Be sure to tell him Barkley's probably somewhere behind Tebow and Forcier.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #464
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In the end, it worked out just about perfect for me. OSU didn't make the Big Ten look bad, but still lost. Win, win.

Same here. I hate OSU, but I give them credit for playing USC tough and not getting blown out again. Really, they should have won this one.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #465
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I guess since Michigan can't beat us you gotta root for someone else to?

Personally I'd rather see the Big Ten win their non-conference and bowl games. I was actually happy to see Michigan win today.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #466
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hell, Michigan fans see Forcier and Pryor and are grinning big time right now.

Yep. Really liking Pryor's decision to go OSU. While 2 games does not make a player's career, Forcier's decision making has been far superior to anything I have seen from Pryor so far. Maybe that will change, who knows?

Quote:
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #467
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Be sure to tell him Barkley's probably somewhere behind Tebow and Forcier.

Let's not annoit Forcier just yet, after all, he still hasn't really played anybody

Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #468
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Tressel is a great coach, but sometimes the conservatism drives you batty. He seems far too willing to take the FG instead of the TD. Up 5 tonight, 4 vs. Texas in the Fiesta Bowl, I got that sinking feeling before the final drive of both games
Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #469
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
I guess since Michigan can't beat us you gotta root for someone else to?

Something like that.

Quote:
Personally I'd rather see the Big Ten win their non-conference and bowl games. I was actually happy to see Michigan win today.

I tried, but I just can't do it. Everyone was happy to see Michigan win today because no one likes Notre Dame. That and The People love Tate Forcier. It's impossible not to.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #470
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Michigan is real happy they didnt get Prior, I imagine.

I have a hard time buying into the hype of any QB who vastly gets talked about as a running QB before they even play a down in college. Wake me up when they can actually throw. So far he really hasn't proven to have the mental make up to be a quality QB either. Time table for Michigan beating OSU is shorting. I'm not really sure Michigan's lack of D is going to matter at this point since I can't really buy into OSU's offense.

Interesting to see two true freshmen QB in their second games ever pull out late victories in the two biggest games of the weekend.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #471
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As much as I loved Desmond Howard while he was at Michigan, he's about as good an analyst as he was a NFL wide receiver.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #472
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I am looking for OSU to beat Michigan this year again, but next year might be a different story, especially if Michigan can shore up their receiving corps and their defense.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #473
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Let's not annoit Forcier just yet, after all, he still hasn't really played anybody

It's just a matter of time, Jon. Just a matter of time... By Thanksgiving your little one will be asking for a Tate Forcier jersey for Christmas.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #474
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Waiting for Musberger to give Pete Carroll a reach-around any moment now....

Quote:
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #475
Balldog
Pro Rookie

What's the deal with Joe McKnight, the kid seems as gifted as Reggie Bush but he can't get it together or what? Everytime he has touched the ball the last two years I've held my breath.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #476
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's just a matter of time, Jon. Just a matter of time... By Thanksgiving your little one will be asking for a Tate Forcier jersey for Christmas.

Hey, I was just impressed that he said (when I explained Tebow didn't start as a freshman) "that's right, Chris Leak was still there". Hell, I would have had to stop & think about who was starting that year.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #477
tarcone
Coordinator

Pryor showed me nothing against an elite team. And if you want to win a national championship, eventually you play an elite team. Cant throw and not smart. Bad combination.
Forcier was much more impressive today. But the competition was weaker.

I root for the Big Ten in non-conference and bowl games. I hate talk that it is a weak conference.I was really hoping for a day to crow about at work since I live in Big 12 country. But Ohio State choked.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #478
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Utah & SJSU tied at 7, six minutes left in the 1st half. 2 Utah fumbles apparently keeping them in check.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #479
tarcone
Coordinator

Purdue/Oregon tied at half 17-17.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #480
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They are at worst the 5th in the country.

Even as a 'Bama fan by birth since that's were my Dad was born and raised, I pretty much didn't care what the score was as long as it was decent sized victory and 'Bama came away as injury free as possible. 'Bama's 2nd game last year was a snoozefest 20-6 against Tulane and yet they eventually pulled off the "Funeral" Game against what was the #3 ranked team at that time while on the road. I would much rather weight a team based on when the game matters versus what they do against teams that fill out their schedule. Let's not forget this is a team that in 2007 lost to Louisiana-Monroe.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #481
RendeR
Coordinator

Alabama might be good but they sure as hell aren't "elite" Musberger as usual takes it on himself to interject his personal wishlist of things into his commentary. I just find it laughable.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #482
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I root for the Big Ten in non-conference and bowl games. I hate talk that it is a weak conference.I was really hoping for a day to crow about at work since I live in Big 12 country. But Ohio State choked.

The lack of Big Ten strength isn't based on OSU getting beat, it's because the conference has nil depth. Here's today's scores.

No. 7 Penn State 28, Syracuse 7
Northwestern 27, Eastern Michigan 24
Indiana 23, Western Michigan 19
Central Michigan 29, Michigan State 27
Wisconsin 34, Fresno State 31 (OT)
Iowa 35, Iowa State 3
Michigan 38, No. 18 Notre Dame 34
Minnesota 20, Air Force 13
Illinois 45, Illinois State 17
No. 3 USC 18, No. 8 Ohio State 15
Purdue at Oregon, currently tied.

1-1 in credible games and they were the lower ranked in both games. Outside of that big wins are what? Syracuse(frisky, but still an "ok" team at best and one of the Big Ten's best should beat them easily), Iowa State(and they were probably happy to rid of their football coach), and Indiana State? Toss in CMU beating MSU and there really isn't much there to get excited about. The Big Ten beat EMU, WMU, FSU and AF by an average of 4.25 points and needed overtime to even do that.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #483
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The lack of Big Ten strength isn't based on OSU getting beat, it's because the conference has nil depth. Here's today's scores.

No. 7 Penn State 28, Syracuse 7
Northwestern 27, Eastern Michigan 24
Indiana 23, Western Michigan 19
Central Michigan 29, Michigan State 27
Wisconsin 34, Fresno State 31 (OT)
Iowa 35, Iowa State 3
Michigan 38, No. 18 Notre Dame 34
Minnesota 20, Air Force 13
Illinois 45, Illinois State 17
No. 3 USC 18, No. 8 Ohio State 15
Purdue at Oregon, currently tied.

1-1 in credible games and they were the lower ranked in both games. Outside of that big wins are what? Syracuse(frisky, but still an "ok" team at best and one of the Big Ten's best should beat them easily), Iowa State(and they were probably happy to rid of their football coach), and Indiana State? Toss in CMU beating MSU and there really isn't much there to get excited about. The Big Ten beat EMU, WMU, FSU and AF by an average of 4.25 points and needed overtime to even do that.

Do the same for the Big 12 this weekend?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #484
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Do the same for the Big 12 this weekend?

To be honest, the Big 12 is really Texas's to lose this year. OU's line I figured would cost them at least one game outside of the Texas/OU game. I don't consider it one of the best conferences either, so I wouldn't be surprised if they match up as a whole rather close to the Big Ten.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #485
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
To be honest, the Big 12 is really Texas's to lose this year. OU's line I figured would cost them at least one game outside of the Texas/OU game. I don't consider it one of the best conferences either, so I wouldn't be surprised if they match up as a whole rather close to the Big Ten.

Its the SEC then everyone else. Big Ten is no worse than the ACC, Big East, Big 12 and the Pac-10 may be slightly better I'm not sure yet.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #486
RainMaker
General Manager

Why no love for the PAC-10? I mean they kicked the shit out of everyone in bowls last year and are off to a decent start in out of conference play.

The SEC seems the overated conference to me. It's Florida and crap. Alabama doesn't look impressive, Georgia lost, and Tennessee got beaten at home to a mediocre Pac-10 school.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #487
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why no love for the PAC-10? I mean they kicked the shit out of everyone in bowls last year and are off to a decent start in out of conference play.

The SEC seems the overated conference to me. It's Florida and crap. Alabama doesn't look impressive, Georgia lost, and Tennessee got beaten at home to a mediocre Pac-10 school.

I got a feeling Arkansas's gonna surprise you this year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #488
RainMaker
General Manager

Pryor is the most overated player in college football.

I also don't get all this Barkley love from the media. He's a freshman and all, but he had a rather poor game outside of the final drive. It's not like he's playing for Western Kentucky either. He's surrounded by one of the best lines in college football and a stable of backs that are unmatched in the nation. Sure he's a freshman and I'm not expecting huge numbers, but it's not like they won the game because of him. He led his talented offense to 11 points.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #489
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pryor is the most overated player in college football.

I also don't get all this Barkley love from the media. He's a freshman and all, but he had a rather poor game outside of the final drive. It's not like he's playing for Western Kentucky either. He's surrounded by one of the best lines in college football and a stable of backs that are unmatched in the nation. Sure he's a freshman and I'm not expecting huge numbers, but it's not like they won the game because of him. He led his talented offense to 11 points.

He showed excellent poise in front of over 100,000 hostile fans in leading his offense on a good 1 minute drive at the end of the half and a great drive to end the game in the 4th quarter. If that doesn't rattle him, not much is going to.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #490
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
He showed excellent poise in front of over 100,000 hostile fans in leading his offense on a good 1 minute drive at the end of the half and a great drive to end the game in the 4th quarter. If that doesn't rattle him, not much is going to.
A drive that wasn't needed if his offense wasn't anemic for most of the game. I mean Navy's offense put up twice as many points as he led his offense to against them.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-13-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #491
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A drive that wasn't needed if his offense wasn't anemic for most of the game. I mean Navy's offense put up twice as many points as he led his offense to against them.

Ohio State was flat for Navy. They were fired up for USC and played a heck of a game. USC's line was beat badly most of the night and the playcalling was conservative. Both of those things led to "an anemic offense" although that offense did put up almost 200 yards in the 2nd quarter alone.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #492
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Report is that Barkley audibled into the 3rd and 9 play to McKnight on that drive. Again, I think the poise Barkley showed on that drive and in running the 2 minute offense was remarkable. With the exception of the bad pick, he made mostly good decisions despite facing heavy pressure most of the game.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #493
MrBug708
Head Coach

Helps to have a team of talent surrounding him
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #494
MrBug708
Head Coach

Allan Bradford would be a nice upgrade over the Boz twin at LB. But I'm sure he's enjoying his time at USC
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 AM   #495
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well I missed the second half because I had plans but I've seen the highlights. Where to begin? The good news for Barkley is he doesn't see a defense that good for the rest of the season (maybe UCLA, they have looked pretty impressive so far) The bad news is he just doesn't look ready to lead this team to a national championship. The last drive was impressive but really he basically only made two big plays. He's going to have to make a lot more than that to convince me he's the best option for this team right now. If this team kept slipping up with Booty and Sanchez, I don't see an undefeated season with a freshman Barkley at QB, put it that way. Defense is good. Possibly as good as last year, Cal will be the big test for them. I still think SC ends up probably losing 2 games and may miss out on the Pac-10 to Cal if Barkley is the QB for the season. But what a result with the backs up against the wall tonight.

Pryor is a huge disappointment. Doesn't matter how big and fast you are if you can't actually make the decisions needed to be a QB. Not sure if the light will ever go on for him, if not OSU could be very mediocre for the next couple of years, at least offensively.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 AM   #496
RainMaker
General Manager

Again, he put up 11 points against the 2nd best team in a mediocre conference with the best supporting cast in football around him.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #497
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Allan Bradford would be a nice upgrade over the Boz twin at LB. But I'm sure he's enjoying his time at USC

Other than the fact that he's the one who has flat out refused a move to LB his entire career you mean?

He's not a RB. He doesn't make the right decisions which is a shame because he's an absolute freak athletically. But the USC staff has been trying to get him to change to D almost the whole time and he and his father have been totally against it. But it's nice to see you guys are still bitter about it
Old 09-13-2009, 01:50 AM   #498
kingfc22
Head Coach

UM beats ND and USC tops OSU.

What a wonderful Saturday.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #499
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Other than the fact that he's the one who has flat out refused a move to LB his entire career you mean?

He's not a RB. He doesn't make the right decisions which is a shame because he's an absolute freak athletically. But the USC staff has been trying to get him to change to D almost the whole time and he and his father have been totally against it. But it's nice to see you guys are still bitter about it

It's not my career that has been sabatoged
Old 09-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #500
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'd love to hear how USC sabotaged his career. You think every single USC fan and coach doesn't want to see him at LB when we have 2 scholarship OLB and 8 RB's?

Again, the kid and his father are on record multiple times as saying he wants to play RB and he won't consider a move to defense. But by all means, keep drinking the kool-aid.