Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #451
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Someone will have to explain the appeal of Duck Dynasty to me. 8 million viewers, 3.7 18-49 for this week's new episode. It finished second to CSI in its time slot for all networks, and was second in the 18-49 demo for the night to Modern Family. Maybe they do deserve $200,000 an episode.

I've never watched it, but the thing that struck me as odd if the people I know who are big fans don't fit the mould of people you would expect to love the show. They must be doing something right to appeal to a broader demographic.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #452
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Duck Dynasty seems to be very much a hearkening back to the old days of family friendly sitcoms. The family has several humorous characters who find/put themselves in humorous situations and there is a moral lesson at the end. There is a large swath of the country that undoubtedly finds this appealing in light of the perceived morally problematic nature of other programming. Of course, the poking fun at rednecks factor might play into things as well.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #453
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I've never watched it, but the thing that struck me as odd if the people I know who are big fans don't fit the mould of people you would expect to love the show. They must be doing something right to appeal to a broader demographic.
My experience has pretty much been the opposite. The people I know who love the show are either rednecks or rednecks at heart.

For the record, I grew up in the Ozarks so technically I'm a redneck at heart. No pejorative use here.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #454
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Hannibal came in at 4.3 million viewers and 1.6 in the demo. Those are pretty bad numbers ... until you realize that is NBC's highest ratings at 10 p.m. Thursday in a year and crushed everything else on NBC's prime time schedule.

If the show retains 80% of those numbers, it'll be pretty much like everything else on NBC Thursday.

How to Live With Your Parents pulled in 8.44 million viewers and 2.9 in the demo, or about 75% of its Modern Family lead-in. That's up pretty sharply from what Happy Endings and Suburgatory were able to do following Modern Family. If they can keep those numbers up, it will be a winner.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #455
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bravo's 'Kathy' Talk Show Canceled, Says Griffin - Yahoo! Movies
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #457
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What will Pumpy watch now?

No worries. They shot a pilot of a Kathy and Anderson Cooper talk show last week.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #458
Radii
Head Coach

Two episodes in I'm finding Hannibal to be creepy as all hell in a very good way, each hour has flown by.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #459
Bad-example
College Starter

I tune into TBS early mornings for some light background entertainment while I get in a couple hours of computer time. TBS has decided that's a good time to inflict guilt bombs on their audience. Hey, who doesn't want to see starving kids first thing in the morning during a sitcom?

F**k you, TBS.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #460
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Two episodes in I'm finding Hannibal to be creepy as all hell in a very good way, each hour has flown by.

and instead I'm watching the Following which is now officially one of the dumbest shows in the history of television
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I tune into TBS early mornings for some light background entertainment while I get in a couple hours of computer time. TBS has decided that's a good time to inflict guilt bombs on their audience. Hey, who doesn't want to see starving kids first thing in the morning during a sitcom?
F**k you, TBS.

That's what happens when you can't sell the commercial inventory, you end up running PSA's.

And, although this is probably deeper than anyone but me would care to consider so deeply, depending upon how you're watching (cable? dish/direct?) there's a possibility that it isn't unsold network inventory that spot ran in but instead it could be unsold local inventory instead.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #462
Bad-example
College Starter

Good point, Jon. The starving kids spots are shown most every morning on TBS during Married With Children but maybe AT&T is actually responsible for them.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #463
Thomkal
Head Coach

Defiance starts tonight at 9pm EST on Syfy. Find myself intrigued by the idea of a TV show influencing a MMO and vice versa, but I think they will find it hard for them to co-exist. Expecting the show to be a bit lacking at first as the actors establish themselves in their characters, but I hope it will get better as time goes on.

Defiance | Watch the Show, Play the Game, Change the World
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #464
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Network adds "Talking Bad" (ala "Talking Dead") to air after each episode of "Breaking Bad"

AMC upfront: Big sendoff for 'Breaking Bad' | Media Life Magazine

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-18-2013 at 07:56 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #465
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is this thing more common in Britain? I've noticed that BBC has Doctor Who Confidential after each Doctor Who episode

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #466
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Chris Hardwick (who, of course, hosts Talking Dead) had hinted at this during a recent podcast...wondering if they have tabbed him to host it (would make sense, if you ask me). I thoroughly enjoy Talking Dead and I am sure I will enjoy this one too (PS - we have to wait until AUGUST now?! GAH!)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #467
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I never watch Talking Dead, but the commercials for it drive me crazy. It seems like right after some big, dramatic moment in "The Walkind Dead" the show cuts to commercial and there is Chris Hardwick yelling at me and trying to create some goofy-ass hash-tag thing. It crushes the mood. I can't hit the 30-second skip fast enough.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #468
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I never watch Talking Dead, but the commercials for it drive me crazy. It seems like right after some big, dramatic moment in "The Walkind Dead" the show cuts to commercial and there is Chris Hardwick yelling at me and trying to create some goofy-ass hash-tag thing. It crushes the mood. I can't hit the 30-second skip fast enough.

They actually stopped doing that about mid-way through last season. A LOT of people bitched about that, so AMC stopped doing it. Now people just bitch about Chris not getting to do it. Lose-lose apparently
Old 04-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #469
rowech
Pro Starter

Parks and Rec has put together a fantastic season this year.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #470
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm guessing many of you follow TV By the Numbers and are familiar with their renewal/cancel index. Basically they rank shows based on 18-49 rating as compared to the network's average 18-49. If you're over the average, you're likely to get renewed. If you're below average you're on the bubble.
403 Forbidden

An interesting game to look at leading to the upfronts is what sitcoms NBC will renew. Other than Parks & Rec, no NBC sitcom is above the network average. The 2nd best performing sitcom was 30 Rock, which is already cancelled and was likely boosted by the series finale.

Next on the list is Go On. I haven't been a big fan of the show, but I'm told by people who have stuck with it that it has improved through the season. It hasn't performed spectacularly since NBC moved it to Thursday, but that move alone and the numbers would seem to suggest renewal.

Next are four shows that are in the true danger zone -- 80%-90% of the 18-49 network average. Community is at 88%, Whitney at 87%, The New Normal at 82% and Guys With Kids at 81%.

Unless NBC decides to really blow things up and feels like they have a strong crop of new sitcoms, it seems like at least two of those shows are coming back. NBC has shown no signs of going with fewer than four sitcoms on Thursday, and they would probably like at least another hour for Tuesday or Wednesday.

What will they do? Based purely on the numbers, it's Community and Whitney. If you bring back Community for another season, it easily passes the bar for being a profitable show in syndication, and NBC does have a stake in the show. NBC has seemed to have an odd fascination with Whitney from the beginning.

Guys with Kids is the most borderline. The New Normal has been more trouble than it's worth -- if you're going to be a controversial show, you need to be good. It wouldn't surprise me if NBC renew none, some or all. TV By the Numbers has Community and Whitney as toss-ups, New Normal as likely to be cancelled and Guys with Kids as certain to be cancelled.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Wouldn't surprise me if NBC decided to go all-new with sitcoms and only bring back Parks & Rec in the fall but have Community and Whitney as mid-season replacements with half-season orders.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #471
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

‘Dallas’ Renewed for Season 3 by TNT - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

TNT has ordered 15 episodes for the third season, which is slated to launch in early 2014.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-01-2013 at 06:35 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #472
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The new Ninja Turtles cartoon is definitely my favorite of current cartoons.

SI

Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #473
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The new Ninja Turtles cartoon is definitely my favorite of current cartoons.

SI

I love that one too. And they got some pretty good voice actors, which makes it that much better.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #474
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I love that one too. And they got some pretty good voice actors, which makes it that much better.

Agreed. I love the connection of Rob Paulsen to the original.

The writing just tickles my funny bone

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #475
Suicane75
Coordinator

Inside Amy Schumer is terrible.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #476
mckerney
Coordinator

Watched the first episode of Orphan Black yesterday and it seems like it will be a show that I'll either love or absolutely hate because of wasted potential (or go from liking to detesting).

The concept seems very cool, girl sees someone who looks exactly like her jump in front of a train but leave her purse on the platform. She then decides to check out her apartment and pretend to her long enough to empty out her bank account, though shortly after starting the ruse gets picked up by the police and shit starts to go down. Here's to hoping it doesn't end up making me angry.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #477
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Watched the first episode of Orphan Black yesterday and it seems like it will be a show that I'll either love or absolutely hate because of wasted potential (or go from liking to detesting).

The concept seems very cool, girl sees someone who looks exactly like her jump in front of a train but leave her purse on the platform. She then decides to check out her apartment and pretend to her long enough to empty out her bank account, though shortly after starting the ruse gets picked up by the police and shit starts to go down. Here's to hoping it doesn't end up making me angry.

It's good so far - plenty of twists and a good amount of reveal each episode. Already renewed for a second season.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #478
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

I find the accent of the lead actress distracting when she is playing the British girl. It sounds like no English accent I have ever heard, and I have heard them all. At times it sounds like a bad Australian accent.

I have seen more complaints in reviews about the British guy's accent, but his accent is at least a bit more believable.

I wish that they had either ditched the idea of using British accents or spent a bit more time mastering them, as it is a pretty good show otherwise.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #479
kcchief19
Pro Starter

List of Renewed and Cancelled Broadcast Shows for the 2012-13 Broadcast Season Through April 28, 2013 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Interesting mention deep in the article about impact of the 2014 Olympics on NBC's renewals. The argument is that NBC may want to bank some of its best shows until after the Olympics to give them the best launch platform. They have about 20 weeks to cover until the start of the Olympics, so bringing back Community and Whitney and suffering through the ratings would allow them to promote the hell out of their new shows during the Olympics.

Given how well that worked with Go On, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #480
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Interesting mention deep in the article about impact of the 2014 Olympics on NBC's renewals. The argument is that NBC may want to bank some of its best shows until after the Olympics to give them the best launch platform. They have about 20 weeks to cover until the start of the Olympics, so bringing back Community and Whitney and suffering through the ratings would allow them to promote the hell out of their new shows during the Olympics.

Given how well that worked with Go On, what could possibly go wrong?

I figure that Community has a better chance of returning than it's numbers may suggest thanks to its timeslot. I can't imagine that NBC wants to stick anything new in the 8pm Thursday timeslot unless they are looking to quickly kill a new show.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #481
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

from kc's link - Hannibal is expected to be canceled? I was under the impression it was doing well?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #482
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

dola
that list apparently tells me that the big networks could fold tomorrow and I wouldn't shed a tear. on that list of shows, I've seen FOUR this year - The Office, 30 Rock, Mindy and The Following. Two are done this year and I'm 100% sure I'll be done with the Following after this season, so that leaves one show (and it's a great one, but still)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #483
Suicane75
Coordinator

I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Maron. It's a little angsty but never quite veers into insufferable. Also just started the first season of Veep and am enjoying the hell out of it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #484
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Are any of the cinemax original series any good? I love almost anything HBO puts out and really enjoyed Boss & Sparticus on Starz so I noticed that cinemax has a couple (Hunted, Banshee, Strike Back) and wondered if any were worth putting the time in. Obviously no spoilers if you are going to recommend one of them.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #485
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
from kc's link - Hannibal is expected to be canceled? I was under the impression it was doing well?
It started out solid but has done nothing but bleed viewers from week to week. The last couple of weeks it's been the lowest rated show on NBC's Thursday lineup, which is quite the achievement.

I'm still very perplexed at NBC's launching it when it did and where it did. Granted, I don't know there was a good answer. Revolution and surprisingly Grimm are clawing out decent numbers (for NBC) following The Voice. Chicago Fire is actually building on its L&O lead-in. Moving any of those shows for Hannibal could be a devastating blow.

I know I'm a broken record at times with looking at cable, but here's something cable almost never does -- rerun shows in their original time slot. USA has it's Tuesday-Thursday model that may include the NCIS or L&O rerun, but otherwise it's always an original, the shows just alternate time slots. You'll get 8 weeks of Suits, 8 weeks of Burn Notice, rinse, repeat with the occasional dead periods for network sweeps and holidays-- right now, I think Psych is the only USA show in originals during network final time.

Hannibal is planned for only 13 episodes a season. Why not run Revolution for 13 episodes, Hannibal for 13 and Revolution for 9? That almost covers your entire traditional TV season without a single rerun, which means you're going to be airing originals against reruns on other networks for 10-13 weeks.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #486
saldana
Pro Starter

all i care about right now is "when is The Americans" coming back
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #487
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

NBC just announced "Parks & Rec" was renewed for another season.

Woohoo!!!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #488
kcchief19
Pro Starter

That's definitely good news. Been a blood bath for most other NBC shows, most of which should have known they were getting axed. Guys With Kids, Up All Night, 1600 Penn and Deception are all gone.

The New Normal should get axed but I think there are showrunner issues -- NBC may want to pick up the show to keep nice and not cancel every freshman comedy in sight. Go On is definitely on the bubble.

Interesting that no word on Community and Hannibal yet. Community's finale is tonight, so either a decision has been made and they don't want to announce it yet (which would seem like a cancellation to me) or it's one last audition. Same with Hannibal. The show still has about six episodes but they need a final call before upfronts. This could be a do or die night for both shows.

If that's the case, wonder if the fates of Go On and Community are tied together in some way. Does Go On get renewed if Community is cancelled? Or does Go On only get renewed to come back in tandem with Community?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #489
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I would have to think that Hanibal is DOA, unless every other drama pilot they have is complete drizzling shit (and they've already reached that conclusion).

Community - just based on the lack of renewal so far - seems to be dead but that's one that's probably a coin toss to predict.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #490
DeToxRox
Head Coach

'24' Eyes Return As Limited Series On Fox, Howard Gordon To EP, Kiefer Sutherland In Talks To Star - Deadline.com
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #491
mckerney
Coordinator

Is it too late for NBC to bring back Ed?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #492
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just to illustrate the rapid decline of American Idol:

Network 8:00 Thursday 5/9 18-49 Rating/Share Total Viewers Live+SD
CBS The Big Bang Theory 4.9/17 16.30
FOX American Idol 2.9/9 11.57
NBC Community 1.3/5 3.08
ABC Wipeout (season premiere) 1.3/4 4.35
CW The Vampire Diaries 1.0/3 2.28

knock, knock, knock, Simon... knock, knock, knock, Simon... knock, knock, knock, Simon...

Anyone catch the Aaron Rodgers cameo on The Office last night? Good parody of AI.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #493
kcchief19
Pro Starter

American Idol has outperformed my expectations at every turn, but it seems like it is now in the death spiral. Simon and a good panel of judges may boost it up, but it seems like The Voice format is picking up steam. If NBC were to pass on a fall edition of The Voice, I think the winter/spring version would go through the roof.

But considering the people who thought Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj would work will pick the next set of judges as well, I have no faith.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #494
21C
College Prospect

Community renewed for a fifth season - 13 episodes.

Cancellations:
Vegas
Rules of Engagement
Golden Boy
CSI NY
Happy Endings
Family Tools
How to Live with your Parents
Malibu Country
Body of Proof
Red Widow
Smash
Old 05-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #495
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Despite being an unabashed fanboy of the the first three season, I'm stunned Community got another 13-episode order. I can only assume this is NBC wanting it to either help them spackle the lineup until the Olympics or have something in reserve for when a new comedy tanks. Granted, NBC has a stake in the show so increasing the syndication value will make them money, the show has passed its creative peak.

We'll have to start a discussion of the new season's shows soon. So far I actually like what NBC's doing. Not sure I see as many duds as last year. Will be interesting to see their upfront.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #496
chadritt
High School Varsity

The loss of Happy Endings makes me sad, hopefully they really can change networks, but Im glad to see Parks and Rec and Community come back. Id like to think that a new season of community will give the writers a chance to do their own thing.

Edit: Of course im also greatly looking forward to S.H.I.E.L.D

Last edited by chadritt : 05-10-2013 at 09:19 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #497
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But considering the people who thought Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj would work will pick the next set of judges as well, I have no faith.

Maybe not. The long time producer (Lythgow or something like that?) is rumored to be out as well.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #498
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Have the rumors of Happy Endings moving to USA completely shut down? USA picked up syndication of Modern Family, and is looking for some original sitcoms to build around it, and they were apparently in discussions to acquire Happy Endings.

Very interested in S.H.I.E.L.D. but wonder how they will pull it off, since I'm assuming it will have nothing to do with The Avengers. But if Clark Gregg's on board, sign me up.

I'm actually interested in the Ironside reboot. While I'd rather see Perry Mason return to TV, this has potential. But as long as Robert Downey Jr. is trying to do his Perry Mason movie, that won't happen.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #499
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have the rumors of Happy Endings moving to USA completely shut down?

According to this story from deadline.com the negotiations are only now about to begin in earnest.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #500
rowech
Pro Starter

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how TV works anymore. You put a new show in mid-April and then expect people to watch after their TV schedules are already set. You have some really good star power but then you cut it after four episodes. I don't get it. I'm talking about the How to Live With Your Parents show. Family Tools, while I didn't watch, is similar. You have some well known faces there but you're not going to give them any chance when you start a show at the beginning of May and wonder why people don't watch.

Meanwhile Community, which sorry to disappoint a lot of people around here, has been absolutely dreadful except for one episode. I know it's on a different network. It seems like these TV companies have become way too fickle in not seeing ratings quickly and bailing on shows that might have had had chances.

Just put a lineup out there, don't change it, leave it for an entire season. If it works, great. If not, then cut and run. These modern execs would have cut shows like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond.

Last edited by rowech : 05-11-2013 at 04:48 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote