Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #451
Kodos
Resident Alien

Why make the guy unlikable?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #452
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I might have to get a Scarbrough jersey.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #453
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I was hoping Saban would instruct his players to tackle every receiver over and over and over until Clemson gave up and tried to run it in.

I was watching Mike and Mike this morning (don't judge me!). They were talking to Les Miles about just mugging the receivers on that play. Les was making the point (poorly) that it wouldn't have worked anyway. The DB couldn't have gotten to the receiver to grab him in time and he would have been as open as he was IRL 'cause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Great play call run to perfection.

Alabama could not do a thing to stop that. No one could for that matter.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #454
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Have you seen the Rams play? They would eat Goff!

Yeah, I've seen them play. The same Goff that was a superstar in college. I know you are joking, but there are people who really believe it who really need to get a grip.

Men vs. Boys. The boys would be murdered and not in a nice way. We just saw Watson drop 420 yards on the Tide without any running game at all. Guess what? The pro guy would run the ball on Alabama. They would be destroyed.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #455
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
See, part of me wishes this would happen, but I can't wish it on the players. I'd love to see Saban lose a game 75 to 0. I might cry. But watching those kids get carted off the field when NFL players destroy them wouldn't be all that fun. I'd give Hurd about a 5% chance of making it out of the game with a future in football.

Right? Your post made me picture Aaron Donald and company literally picking up Bama's offensive line and throwing them down on top of Hurd.

It would be terrible. Everyone on a pro roster was a college star, even the practice squad guys.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #456
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Yeah, I've seen them play. The same Goff that was a superstar in college. I know you are joking, but there are people who really believe it who really need to get a grip.

Men vs. Boys. The boys would be murdered and not in a nice way. We just saw Watson drop 420 yards on the Tide without any running game at all. Guess what? The pro guy would run the ball on Alabama. They would be destroyed.

A superstar? Seriously.. I need to look at his college stats.

I am kidding.. partially.. but I think the game would be at least somewhat close.. ie.. I don't think it would be a blowout by the Rams.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #457
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

I am kidding.. partially.. but I think the game would be at least somewhat close.. ie.. I don't think it would be a blowout by the Rams.

It would be a blowout by the Rams. Alabama might not pick up a single first down.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #458
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

The last two college seasons for Goff combined, he threw for 8,500 yards and 78 TD's.

As for the score, it would be a beatdown of unimaginable proportions. The Alabama offense wouldn't move the ball at all. Period. You are talking about a top 10 offense in the NFL going up against an offense that barely averaged over 200 yards passing a game in the NCAA. That alone makes this game a disaster. As said above, Alabama may not even get a first down.

The Alabama defense can spout all day about how great they are and they ARE great. But they just gave up over 500 total yards to a college football team. The Rams are FAR better than a college football team. They don't have "boy" bodies, they are men. They would simply steamroll over Alabama.

Bama players would be leaving the game injured left and right. The Rams would simply throttle them. It's a game that would be over by the end of the first quarter. You badly underestimate the difference between 19/20 year old college kids and 25 to 27 year old men. It would be brutal.,
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #459
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Serious question: did anyone see, or have any link to coverage of, any players doing any sort of national anthem protest last night?

A friend asked me about it after seeing a mutual third friend bring it up, I'm not finding a single shred mention of such a thing anywhere else.

My lean is "didn't happen" but I figured it's always possible I totally missed something. Ring any bells for anybody?

(Nope, not remotely trying to stir any socio-political pot here at all. I'm literally asking 'cause I got asked & I f'n hate not feeling like I'm not accurately answering)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #460
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I saw none in the stadium.
I can all but guarantee you no Clemson players protested. Dabo addressed it with the team early this year.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #461
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I saw none in the stadium.
I can all but guarantee you no Clemson players protested. Dabo addressed it with the team early this year.

fwiw, the allegation was about a small number of the other guys.

I'm pretty sure, honestly, that nothing happened aside from some over-the-top Bama hatin' from a nitwit makin' shit up but before I called bullshit, I kinda wanted to make sure somebody didn't say "oh, how did you miss that"
Old 01-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #462
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I am still in shock a tad.

Anyone who has followed the Clemson program as long and as closely as I have would be lieing if they said they didnt question whether they'd ever see another National Title in Clemson.

My whole experience was surreal and I could write a book about some stuff that few would probably care about. But a couple cool little points I just want to share.

We ordered our tickets online through the Clemson Ticket office and there was some snafu in the system. So despite having an email confirming my purchase of 4 tickets, late last week I had no tickets. Upper deck seats were going for north of $1,500 each. By game time that climbed to over $2,000 each. On Saturday a friend of a friend referred me to a lady who ran an Alabama fan ticket exchange facebook group. Never having had a facebook account a few texts and phone calls later I was talking to a retired grandmother who had adopted her grand daughter and was raising her who Administered this group. She went out of her way to find me tickets among their fans even haggling the seller down. She was so involved I thought it was some elaborate hoax/scam. Eventually the seller sent me his home address and phone number which checked out and we were able to social media investigate him enough that i was confident if I got screwed Id get my pound of flesh for revenge. Trust and honesty won the day and we ended up with 2 disjointed pair. Deciding it was best to have 1 parent with each kid and (1 male with each female) we paired off my 13 year old daughter and me and my wife and our 16 year old son. I was excited about this because, well as tends to happen I suppose, my daughter is closer with my wife and they do girl things together and likewise my son and I. I dont get the chance to share as many memories with my daughter as I wish I did. So this was a daddy daughter memory day. When Renfrow scored the final TD my daughter jumped into my arms in a hug...that moment, that feeling...man when Im on my death bed...I'll remember that. Writing these words 2 days later brings tears to my eyes.

The date was also pretty special. My wife and I are the proverbial high school sweethearts.She a year older than I. We met when I was a freshman and she was an athletic trainer for the football team (of course we called them water girls). We hung out and actually went out a time or two that year but it just never clicked. Her brother however was 2 years younger than her and he and I hit it off as friends. Pretty soon we were inseparable and always up to something. She would move out of her dad's house and back to Ohio with her mom. Basically miss a year of school then move back between my sophomore and junior year. Only now we were in the same grade as she had missed a year of school. As me and her brother hung out she and I started hitting it off and before you know it...we were an item. Now we have been married 18 years and together 24. For several years it was the coolest thing I could imagine being married to my best friends sister. Then in 2005 her brother was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. He battled with all his might, he amazed everyone as he never had a bad day. Even weak and frail he was joking with everyone. At the end his fate was sealed and hospice was brought in to help minimize pain. The Sunday he and I spent a couple hours together reminiscing as best he could. And as I prepared to leave and head home for the only time in our lives we told each other we loved each other. Sounds small I know....but to my then a 29 year old who self had grown up in the crazy macho culture I had..the thought of saying I love you to another guy was strange, weird, and somehow wrong. But in that moment it felt right and normal. Looking back that sounds stupid. But at the time it was significant to me. That Monday night my wife was going to visit her brother and asked if I wanted to come along. I declined because I wasnt feeling great had a major migraine all day and the College Football National Championship was coming on that night. Florida had a freshman QB named Tim Tebow who I had met several times during my time at Clemson when they were recruiting him. Plus her brother was doing great the day before, Id have another chance and even if I didnt I was pretty comfortable with how we'd left it. 'I Love you. Be Good.'....well I couldnt make it through that game as that migraine just left me feeling sick. The next morning I was up and at the office. Around 10AM the next morning my sister in law called. The inevitable had happened. January 9th 2007. My best friend died at 27. That date haunts me every year. I struggle with it. I've passed out drunk on his grave stone. I've disappeared. I've never been normal that day. I've never been around anyone...not even my wife. Back in November my wife pointed out...you know if Clemson makes the Championship game....it's on 1/9. 10 year anniversary. I already knew. Damn 2 times in one post.

So...that's the emotional personal side to me. I could write a book on the game and technical side. Could write a story about the conversation I had with my old roommate, now Clemson CO-OC, about 3 in the morning Tuesday. But while I am a football junkie and while football has changed my life...football wasnt what I'll remember from Monday night. It was that anniversary. A cleansing one I hope that will make future ones easier to handle....and I'll remember that hug. I'll always remember that hug.

Go Tigers!
(BTW that wasnt an illegal pick )
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #463
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am still in shock a tad.

Anyone who has followed the Clemson program as long and as closely as I have would be lieing if they said they didnt question whether they'd ever see another National Title in Clemson.

My whole experience was surreal and I could write a book about some stuff that few would probably care about. But a couple cool little points I just want to share.

We ordered our tickets online through the Clemson Ticket office and there was some snafu in the system. So despite having an email confirming my purchase of 4 tickets, late last week I had no tickets. Upper deck seats were going for north of $1,500 each. By game time that climbed to over $2,000 each. On Saturday a friend of a friend referred me to a lady who ran an Alabama fan ticket exchange facebook group. Never having had a facebook account a few texts and phone calls later I was talking to a retired grandmother who had adopted her grand daughter and was raising her who Administered this group. She went out of her way to find me tickets among their fans even haggling the seller down. She was so involved I thought it was some elaborate hoax/scam. Eventually the seller sent me his home address and phone number which checked out and we were able to social media investigate him enough that i was confident if I got screwed Id get my pound of flesh for revenge. Trust and honesty won the day and we ended up with 2 disjointed pair. Deciding it was best to have 1 parent with each kid and (1 male with each female) we paired off my 13 year old daughter and me and my wife and our 16 year old son. I was excited about this because, well as tends to happen I suppose, my daughter is closer with my wife and they do girl things together and likewise my son and I. I dont get the chance to share as many memories with my daughter as I wish I did. So this was a daddy daughter memory day. When Renfrow scored the final TD my daughter jumped into my arms in a hug...that moment, that feeling...man when Im on my death bed...I'll remember that. Writing these words 2 days later brings tears to my eyes.

The date was also pretty special. My wife and I are the proverbial high school sweethearts.She a year older than I. We met when I was a freshman and she was an athletic trainer for the football team (of course we called them water girls). We hung out and actually went out a time or two that year but it just never clicked. Her brother however was 2 years younger than her and he and I hit it off as friends. Pretty soon we were inseparable and always up to something. She would move out of her dad's house and back to Ohio with her mom. Basically miss a year of school then move back between my sophomore and junior year. Only now we were in the same grade as she had missed a year of school. As me and her brother hung out she and I started hitting it off and before you know it...we were an item. Now we have been married 18 years and together 24. For several years it was the coolest thing I could imagine being married to my best friends sister. Then in 2005 her brother was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. He battled with all his might, he amazed everyone as he never had a bad day. Even weak and frail he was joking with everyone. At the end his fate was sealed and hospice was brought in to help minimize pain. The Sunday he and I spent a couple hours together reminiscing as best he could. And as I prepared to leave and head home for the only time in our lives we told each other we loved each other. Sounds small I know....but to my then a 29 year old who self had grown up in the crazy macho culture I had..the thought of saying I love you to another guy was strange, weird, and somehow wrong. But in that moment it felt right and normal. Looking back that sounds stupid. But at the time it was significant to me. That Monday night my wife was going to visit her brother and asked if I wanted to come along. I declined because I wasnt feeling great had a major migraine all day and the College Football National Championship was coming on that night. Florida had a freshman QB named Tim Tebow who I had met several times during my time at Clemson when they were recruiting him. Plus her brother was doing great the day before, Id have another chance and even if I didnt I was pretty comfortable with how we'd left it. 'I Love you. Be Good.'....well I couldnt make it through that game as that migraine just left me feeling sick. The next morning I was up and at the office. Around 10AM the next morning my sister in law called. The inevitable had happened. January 9th 2007. My best friend died at 27. That date haunts me every year. I struggle with it. I've passed out drunk on his grave stone. I've disappeared. I've never been normal that day. I've never been around anyone...not even my wife. Back in November my wife pointed out...you know if Clemson makes the Championship game....it's on 1/9. 10 year anniversary. I already knew. Damn 2 times in one post.

So...that's the emotional personal side to me. I could write a book on the game and technical side. Could write a story about the conversation I had with my old roommate, now Clemson CO-OC, about 3 in the morning Tuesday. But while I am a football junkie and while football has changed my life...football wasnt what I'll remember from Monday night. It was that anniversary. A cleansing one I hope that will make future ones easier to handle....and I'll remember that hug. I'll always remember that hug.

Go Tigers!

Beautiful, man. I am happy to see this has brought so much joy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #464
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

How'd it get so dusty in here? And who is cutting onions?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #465
tarcone
Coordinator

New summer pro football league aims to offer paid alternative to college football - The Washington Post

NFL developmental league?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #466
Kodos
Resident Alien

Touching story, CU. Glad you made some lifelong memories.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #467
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Go Tigers!

Gotta hear some of these stories with you and JS sometime. But congrats, I know I am a recent comer to Clemson fandom, but the people like you who have really been waiting a long time to get back up there are what made me really happy.

I was sitting next to a dude who said he was 60 and already had one heart attack in his life... he said he would gladly give another heart attack (non-fatal, natch) to see them win the game. That was after the last Bama TD. Hugged that guy after the score.

Then there was a lady and her husband behind us... he was stationed in Alabama at a military base, and they both are just absolutely sick of Bama. She was just screaming the whole game, imploring them to make their lives in Alabama slightly less hellish. Gave her a hug and her husband several high fives after the last TD.

My wife had multiple family members texting and FB'ing her during the game... even the ones who aren't big sports fans were into it. And her two older uncles who were Clemson ticket holders back in the day were beyond ecstatic.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #468
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

My final College Football Post for the season.

Thank You, Clemson | The Players' Tribune
Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #469
Atocep
Coordinator

Baylor lawsuit alleges 52 rapes involving 31 players from 2011 to 2014.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #470
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Baylor lawsuit alleges 52 rapes involving 31 players from 2011 to 2014.

I think it might be time for the death penalty, that is well beyond lack of institutional control.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #471
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
I think it might be time for the death penalty, that is well beyond lack of institutional control.

But we learned from the Penn State case that if you fuck up so bad that it includes coverup of criminal activity, then you should only get a slap on the wrist because that's a matter for law enforcement, not the NCAA.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #472
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But we learned from the Penn State case that if you fuck up so bad that it includes coverup of criminal activity, then you should only get a slap on the wrist because that's a matter for law enforcement, not the NCAA.

True, but penn state's criminal activity wasn't as recent.. I think they likely deserved way more then they got as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #473
Atocep
Coordinator

I think Art Briles' chances of landing a head coaching position any time soon are gone. He's radioactive until these lawsuits are cleared up.

What parent would send their kid to Baylor right now? I'm amazed they're actually built a decent recruiting class.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #474
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think Art Briles' chances of landing a head coaching position any time soon are gone. He's radioactive until these lawsuits are cleared up.

What parent would send their kid to Baylor right now? I'm amazed they're actually built a decent recruiting class.

I wouldn't send my son for sure, and i DAMN sure wouldn't let my daughters.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #475
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post

How 'bout we see if any of the claims in the suit are even true. And then see what role the university may/may not have had in those or anything that followed.

I realize that's a novel idea and all, call me crazy I guess.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #476
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How 'bout we see if any of the claims in the suit are even true. And then see what role the university may/may not have had in those or anything that followed.

I realize that's a novel idea and all, call me crazy I guess.

Considering it took Briles less than a week after this lawsuit was filed to drop his lawsuit against Baylor it's a "where's there's smoke" sort of thing.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #477
miami_fan
Coordinator

Damning texts between ex-Baylor coach Briles, other officials revealed in new court records | Baylor | Dallas News

Even with all this, Liberty University's football coach may want to do better than 6-5 next year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 02-03-2017 at 04:32 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #478
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'll drop this in here, as it seems to be the most relevant thread:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/02/03/colorado-football-joe-tumpkin-assault-case

Not a good look for Mike MacIntyre or the CU athletic department on how they handled this.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #479
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Least surprising Notice of Allegations in recent memory?

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...-ban-for-2017/
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #480
Atocep
Coordinator

Another Baylor lawsuit today. Gang rape of a volleyball player with supposedly video existing. The players considered it a "bonding experience"

The lawsuit also alleges that dog fights were arranged by the football players at parties.