Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2004, 12:17 PM   #451
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Is there a nice thick "beginners guide" to FM 2005? I tried the demo and like soccer, but the game still seems hard for me to learn. I don't have problems with other games, just this one. Too bad, because most people love the heck out of it.

Todd

oh, the good time to ask Marc if he'll do his "Strategy and tips" guide for this version...

So Marc, will there be a a guide?

FM
PS: I'm really hoping there will be one
Old 12-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #452
moriarty
College Starter

I'd be curious about why RPI finds it unplayable out of the box. Either I'm missing something or he has really high expectations.

I'm sure they can patch up a few things, but I've found it very solid prepatch.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #453
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Marc put together a nice beginners guide to the previous versions. It's probably still out on the Sigames website and I think would still work well even if it hasn't been udpated for FM2005.

I'd see if I could find it for you, but Sigames.com is blocked by my work.

Last version that is available is for CM4, but it's basically the same for FM2005, at least in terms of gameplay...

Here's a link:
http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=163

FM
Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #454
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Is there a nice thick "beginners guide" to FM 2005? I tried the demo and like soccer, but the game still seems hard for me to learn. I don't have problems with other games, just this one. Too bad, because most people love the heck out of it.

Todd

Marc put together a nice beginners guide to the previous versions. It's probably still out on the Sigames website and I think would still work well even if it hasn't been udpated for FM2005.

I'd see if I could find it for you, but Sigames.com is blocked by my work.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:36 PM   #455
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to you both, I'll go hunting.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:45 PM   #456
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
1) I didn't ask some random message board to do my homework for me, and then try and justify it.
2) I'm not whining - I didn't ask for my money back or anything. I said I found a better alternative to an unpatched-FM.

You have been whining the entire thread about this and about that. I would say most people really enjoy FM. It seems to me you are on the outside looking in.

I also did not ask for my homework to be done. I clearly had begun the assignment and had reached a tough spot. Have you ever asked for help before from someone?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #457
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Todd

i agree

that what scares me getting this game when it ships to the united states.

will manual explain it well?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #458
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i agree

The manual isn't perfect, but I think it does a good job of explaining the basics behind the game, i.e. transfers, required skills for different positions, etc. It is about 60-65 pages thick, so not too bad...

FM
Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #459
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

One thing that is fuzzy for me is assigning coaches. I take that the assistant manager is automatically assigned to the first team training schedule. Is there a way to set other coaches to other schedules?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #460
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

on the top right, find the schedule you want to assign coaches to, then check the box next to the coach you want to assign to it...

FM
Old 12-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #461
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Can you indicate what it is that you find unrealistic in FM please? - I'm very interested in this, especially considering your comments regarding CM01-02 which (while still being a good game which I'm very proud of having been involved in making) was far less realistic than FM in its simulation.

Well, I think one thing is that as good as the 2D match engine is, it brings to light problems that have existed before. I'm sure the match engine before was not as good as it is now (though the strikers scoring every goal thing in CM4 was... puzzling), but with the 2D I can see some of the silly things happening.

Nevertheless, I'll get into the things I didn't like about FM thus far (and keep in mind I haven't given it much of a chance). [Also please note that I've never told anyone to not buy or not try FM - I've just said I think CM 01/02 is more fun]

1. It might just be a function of the 2D engine (i.e. this may have always been the case), but I see very limited variety in the type of goals. About 25% seem to be lobs/chips, and up to 50% seem to be a man slotting it home wide open off a rebound. There are no where near enough scrums in the box where the ball just finds its way into the net, nor are there nowhere near enough deflections off of defenders.

2. Aerial battles are done very poorly. About half the time when a goal is headed in, the player has been standing in the same spot since the ball was delivered.

3. Not enough loose balls - there are nowhere near enough 50/50 battles. This should be even more so at the lower levels of play (English Conference, etc.), but what I've seen is that the quality of play at the low levels is the exact same as at the high levels.

4. MLS is crap in FM and wasn't tested anywhere NEAR properly (this isn't a reason for me to switch to CM 01/02 of course, but something I feel needs to be mentioned over and over again because it is pretty outrageous that MLS could be released the way it was).

5. Pre-game match comments take away from the feel of the game, IMO. I simply can't get "into" it when I know that every time before a game there will be some generic comment about the match that doesn't reveal anything about the player or their attitude.

6. CM 01/02 is incredibly faster than FM2005.

7. This is probably the biggest factor for me, and it's just my opinion. In games like FOF, I very rarely use stats and past performance as a factor in deciding what personel decisions to make. In FM, I do to an extent (obviously), but not very often. However, in CM 01/02, to be honest, I don't really care about the players' skill ratings at all - which is just the way I like it. Obviously, I'll use it as a baseline for what kind of quality the player is, but if you asked me, in CM 01/02, what my striker's best-rated skill is I'd have NO idea, since I never look at it. On the other hand, if you ask me what TYPE of player he is, I could tell you (I have one guy is a goal poacher who doesn't do much else, a target man, and a more technical player who is a pretty good set-up man; in addition, I have a guy on loan from another conference team who is just a pure athlete out there - wreaks havoc on the opposing backline with his pesky play). In FM, I find myself having no idea what style of players certain guys are. This is kind of weird, since I would think the match engine would help with this. I don't know exactly why I feel this way (and I doubt there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way), it just kind of is. I definitely can't put my finger on what makes me feel this way, either; again, it just is.

I know a lot of what I have said is very vague (particularly #7) and isn't much help. However, I'm going to give FM2005 a MUCH more serious try after the patch comes out - the problem before the patch was that there were the things I've noticed that really bug me (listed above) and in addition other things that people talked about that I didn't even experience because I couldn't get through a whole season. (The biggest one here would be the flawed youth pull system).

~kns
Old 12-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #462
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i agree

I found a CM 03/04 manual on gamefaqs.com - about 61 pages long, but some of it is players, teams, etc...

Todd
Old 12-08-2004, 01:38 PM   #463
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I found a CM 03/04 manual on gamefaqs.com - about 61 pages long, but some of it is players, teams, etc...

Todd

yes, I have that one too. It's got some good tidbits of info too...

FM
Old 12-08-2004, 04:22 PM   #464
Desnudo
Coordinator

Feel free to ask away here though if you feel like you're getting lost. The game flow is pretty easy to understand once you get used to it.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:28 PM   #465
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Todd,

I only really got into the series in the last year or so with CM 03/04. I asked quite a few questions on here, and I PM'd some questions to friends that I felt too stupid to ask publicly. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:33 PM   #466
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
oh, the good time to ask Marc if he'll do his "Strategy and tips" guide for this version...

So Marc, will there be a a guide?

FM
PS: I'm really hoping there will be one

When/if I get enough time to scribble some stuff then yeah I'll see what I can do (stops rotating around in circles wildly for 3 seconds to type before accelerating off again ) ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #467
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Todd,

I only really got into the series in the last year or so with CM 03/04. I asked quite a few questions on here, and I PM'd some questions to friends that I felt too stupid to ask publicly. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

can i pm you too, when the game comes to the US, if i have questions....

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #468
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
can i pm you too, when the game comes to the US, if i have questions....

thanks

Sure you can.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #469
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I've been playing CM/FM back when SI was called Domark (1996 in case you're wondering) and will be more than happy to answer questions regarding anything on the series.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #470
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
When/if I get enough time to scribble some stuff then yeah I'll see what I can do (stops rotating around in circles wildly for 3 seconds to type before accelerating off again ) ...
Marc,
Are there any other projects in the works by SI GAMES...Maybe an F-1 management game?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #471
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Marc,
Are there any other projects in the works by SI GAMES...Maybe an F-1 management game?

Or cricket? Plaese, Marc? Cricket?

Please?
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:29 PM   #472
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Todd,

Thanks, I may take you up on that offer sometime in the future.

Todd
Old 12-08-2004, 07:24 PM   #473
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Per Gamespot, Worldwide Soccer Manager has (finally) shipped to stores.

In an unrelated article, ESPN's videogames prices will be going back to "premium" prices at some undisclosed point in the future (possibly in time for the next series of games next year.)
Old 12-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #474
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Or cricket? Plaese, Marc? Cricket?

Please?

I would love it tanglewood- glad to see another cricket fan on these boards.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #475
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In an unrelated article, ESPN's videogames prices will be going back to "premium" prices at some undisclosed point in the future (possibly in time for the next series of games next year.)

Todd
Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #476
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, I may take you up on that offer sometime in the future.

Todd

I'll second the offer- I've been playing these for about 7 years now - and I'd like to think that I've learnt a little bit..
Old 12-08-2004, 07:56 PM   #477
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

So I've had this game since about 2 days and I'm addicted. I owned CM 03/04 and this one is a significant update. Although, I'm still waiting for some updates from people who change all the names of the leagues and competitions as well as some of the logos of teams etc. The difficulty hasn't really changed and since I don't like to look at those good player guides or whatever it becomes pretty hard.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #478
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm with RPI-FAN in that I don't think this game has been very fun for me prior to the patch. It certainly is playable, but it hasn't been fun for me. That might be in part due to the knowledge that I wouldn't start my "real career" until after the patch. However, I'm fully expecting to become addicted tomorrow afternoon. Of course, that assumes there are no last minute problems with the patch.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:28 PM   #479
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm with RPI-FAN in that I don't think this game has been very fun for me prior to the patch. It certainly is playable, but it hasn't been fun for me. That might be in part due to the knowledge that I wouldn't start my "real career" until after the patch. However, I'm fully expecting to become addicted tomorrow afternoon. Of course, that assumes there are no last minute problems with the patch.

This is a much more concise way of saying exactly what I was trying to.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 12-08-2004 at 09:28 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #480
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

btw- the goalie kick to opposition one pass and they score bug still bothers me. I hate losing games on that, especially since I cant instruct my goalie to pass to the sides (he will always hit goal kicks to the middle of the park, where they dont even reach the half-way line- inane, and the opposition always has more players there) this still bugs me. Im waiting on my copy (family didnt ship it from the UK ), but this was in the gold demo. Marc, am I the only one complaining about this ?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #481
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
btw- the goalie kick to opposition one pass and they score bug still bothers me. I hate losing games on that, especially since I cant instruct my goalie to pass to the sides (he will always hit goal kicks to the middle of the park, where they dont even reach the half-way line- inane, and the opposition always has more players there) this still bugs me. Im waiting on my copy (family didnt ship it from the UK ), but this was in the gold demo. Marc, am I the only one complaining about this ?

I guess you don't visit the SI boards?

I've only taken to them recently as I've been anxious for the patch. I dare say that the goal kick issues have been a fairly big source of complaining over there. In any case, it is supposed to be fixed with the patch

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-08-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:50 PM   #482
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess you don't visit the SI boards?

I've only taken to them recently as I've been anxious for the patch. I dare say that the goal kick issues have been a fairly big source of complaining over there. In any case, it is supposed to be fixed with the patch

haha - those were the first boards I ever visited- they lead me to OOTP and that to FOFC. I've stayed away- I was a regular there for a while...
Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #483
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

MV:

I do have on question that I think needs to be asked:

What the hell happened with MLS? Why wasn't it tested appropriately? There are a lot of great things in FM, but this certainly isn't one of them. I just don't see how something can be such a big deal to get into the game, and then just completely ignored in the testing stage like it was?

Sorry for the bluntness of the question, but I feel as someone who paid more than $60 for FM it's fair for me to ask why everything wasn't delivered as promised.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #484
Desnudo
Coordinator

Just lucked into an away FA Cup match against Man U.. Nothing like watching your balance sheet grow from $600 K to $2.5 million in one game.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #485
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Desnudo, or you using your own tactics?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #486
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Desnudo, or you using your own tactics?

Short answer: No

I did up until this season, second in League 2. I made it that far using a 4-4-2 and a 5-3-2 with wingbacks. I won both conferences comfortably, but really struggled last season and ended up 10th. Nothing I did was working to get past mid-table. I tweaked the hell out of my tactics. Not bad, but the board gave me no money for transfers and no one wanted to come on loan. Net result is that I ended up switching to a tactic from the SI boards. I'm comfortably in first about halfway through the season now. It's definitely not a "wonder" tactic, but it keep the defense tight and still scores goals.

I also lucked into a few future Wales national teamers somehow. One I pulled from my non-existent youth academy and the other I signed from a Wales club.

Edit: I should ask, are you having trouble with Newport?

Last edited by Desnudo : 12-08-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:54 PM   #487
Raven
College Prospect

What's the best way to order this game? Is there any way to download it, or is it mandatory that I have it shipped?

Should I order form SIgames.com for 24.99 pounds (how much is that in american dollars?) or order from gogamer.com for $49.99?

thanks.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #488
Easy Mac

$48.19 in American dollars. It will probably be cheaper to order it from gogamer after figuring shipping.

I just have to say that as long as people keep buying from overseas or importers such as gogamer, the less likely we are to ever have a complete FM come out in American stores. What reason does Sega or whoever have to release a game if 90% of the audience is just going to buy it elsewhere?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:10 PM   #489
Desnudo
Coordinator

Uhmm, they are releasing FM in stores in NA.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #490
Easy Mac

So they say... but I also heard Shorty would hit puberty... and that rumor is at least 3 years old.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:19 PM   #491
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
So they say... but I also heard Shorty would hit puberty... and that rumor is at least 3 years old.

Sometime next week is apparently the official arrival date. If they released it sooner, people would stop buying it from the UK. I realize it probably took a long time to totally redesign the box art (sarcasm), but there's no reason to make us wait 1 1/2 months.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:57 AM   #492
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I got the game ! After 3 years of reading about these soccer sims I've finally given in. How long does it take for one to complete 1 season of play? Im looking for at least a 20-30 year career when I get the game.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:20 AM   #493
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Hey I got a question. For those who have played the game, what are the known issues with the MLS???
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:33 AM   #494
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
this is my first time at seeing some good youth pull coming out of my own youth system...
Hattie Geek!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
It took me about 15 minutes to get the game from the local sumpermarket to my house.

/ukresident
As Eric Cartman might say, "Hate . . . you . . . so . . . much . . . "
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:06 AM   #495
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Caveat: I'm only tinkering with the demo since I neither have the computer capable of running a proper game of FM nor the moolahs to afford a copy at the moment.
Quote:
Well, I think one thing is that as good as the 2D match engine is, it brings to light problems that have existed before. I'm sure the match engine before was not as good as it is now (though the strikers scoring every goal thing in CM4 was... puzzling), but with the 2D I can see some of the silly things happening.
The 2D match engine needs work. Without the SI guys hiring me (and, Marc, I'm willing to beg AND/OR grovel), I can't know for sure but it looks to me like the game figures out what's going on and then create a 2D representation of what goes on. Most striking to me is some of the offside calls where the opposing striker is running toward my whole defensive unit and gets an offside call. Umm, yeah. This isn't Madden where plays get made as you see them on the screen. It happens. If it's really bothersome, you can always turn off the 2D screen and go with commentary only then you'll be able to ignore 2D match engine mishaps. So far, though, I've loved it.
Quote:
1. It might just be a function of the 2D engine (i.e. this may have always been the case), but I see very limited variety in the type of goals. About 25% seem to be lobs/chips, and up to 50% seem to be a man slotting it home wide open off a rebound. There are no where near enough scrums in the box where the ball just finds its way into the net, nor are there nowhere near enough deflections off of defenders.
Perhaps that is a byproduct of the quality of the players you are tinkering with. I'm on my 5th run through the demo at the moment (sorry, Marc . . . I'll be buying as soon as I can afford it) and I've seen a fair variety of goals. Tinkering with a strange training regime that did not give shooting much attention, I saw a fairly limited amount of "clean" goals and more rebounds. When using the default positional training and the new training regine I'm tinkering with, I'm seeing far more clean, crisp goals. I've also seen quite a few deflection goals but they are only really noticable through the replay and generally not through the straight run.
Quote:
2. Aerial battles are done very poorly. About half the time when a goal is headed in, the player has been standing in the same spot since the ball was delivered.
I have seen examples of this as well and I think it's a byproduct of (my theory on) the fact that results are generated then highlights are created to match that result. Since I don't want a Madden-style footie sim (isn't that what the Winning Eleven serie is for? Well, excepting that WE is supposedly a good game), I'm willing to take the bad with the good.
Quote:
3. Not enough loose balls - there are nowhere near enough 50/50 battles. This should be even more so at the lower levels of play (English Conference, etc.), but what I've seen is that the quality of play at the low levels is the exact same as at the high levels.
I think this is again the result of the 2D action attempting to match the end result of the play and not properly representing the challenge and just going straight through to the result.
Quote:
4. MLS is crap in FM and wasn't tested anywhere NEAR properly (this isn't a reason for me to switch to CM 01/02 of course, but something I feel needs to be mentioned over and over again because it is pretty outrageous that MLS could be released the way it was).
Quote:
MV:

I do have on question that I think needs to be asked:

What the hell happened with MLS? Why wasn't it tested appropriately? There are a lot of great things in FM, but this certainly isn't one of them. I just don't see how something can be such a big deal to get into the game, and then just completely ignored in the testing stage like it was?

Sorry for the bluntness of the question, but I feel as someone who paid more than $60 for FM it's fair for me to ask why everything wasn't delivered as promised.
Dude. That horse is dead. Like, really, really dead. Mr. Ed is crying. Well, not the topic itself but your harping on it. Yes, MLS portion of borked. Fucked. Screwed. Fubared. That pooch was appropriately and thorougly fornicated upon. We got it. We smell what RPI is cooking. Marc has touched upon this subject (then had the server ate his response then re-responded). Cliff's Notes version: SI did what they could with their resources but, given the likely return on investment and the potential for borking up the rest of the game, given how different MLS is from any other league, they could not dedicate more time or resource to it and they will try to get as much right as they can.

Yes, I do agree with Frogger's point that you are welcome to like or dislike a game as it is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I just hate seeing this where you're acting like Marc never acknowledge your original whi, er, posts.
Quote:
As CM2 was likely faster than CM3. But more shit under the hood means more information to process and processor clock cycle is a finite commodity. Such, as they say, is life.
Quote:
7. This is probably the biggest factor for me, and it's just my opinion. In games like FOF, I very rarely use stats and past performance as a factor in deciding what personel decisions to make. In FM, I do to an extent (obviously), but not very often. However, in CM 01/02, to be honest, I don't really care about the players' skill ratings at all - which is just the way I like it. Obviously, I'll use it as a baseline for what kind of quality the player is, but if you asked me, in CM 01/02, what my striker's best-rated skill is I'd have NO idea, since I never look at it. On the other hand, if you ask me what TYPE of player he is, I could tell you (I have one guy is a goal poacher who doesn't do much else, a target man, and a more technical player who is a pretty good set-up man; in addition, I have a guy on loan from another conference team who is just a pure athlete out there - wreaks havoc on the opposing backline with his pesky play). In FM, I find myself having no idea what style of players certain guys are. This is kind of weird, since I would think the match engine would help with this. I don't know exactly why I feel this way (and I doubt there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way), it just kind of is. I definitely can't put my finger on what makes me feel this way, either; again, it just is.
Ummm, I would have to disagree here. I am getting far more distinctive roles in in FM'05 than I ever did with CM01/02 (the only CM game I've played significantly). I have tried pairing up out and out strikers (Thierry Henry, Jeremie Aliadiere, Hernan Crespo) without much success. I have had far more success with a drawn back/playmaking striker paired with a poacher (Dennis Bergkamp with, well, any of the above, because he's THAT. damn. good. RVP is getting there as well). I have had guys listed as forwards, with good forward ratings, who can't play up front worth a darn but is just peachy keen as wingers (example, Ryan Smith, F LC and Alessio Cerci, F LRC). Perhaps you need to spend more time with the game and tinker with different combinations.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:10 AM   #496
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Can you indicate what it is that you find unrealistic in FM please? - I'm very interested in this, especially considering your comments regarding CM01-02 which (while still being a good game which I'm very proud of having been involved in making) was far less realistic than FM in its simulation.
Hey, Marc . . .

I'm not Kyle but I would like to take up some issues on this topic of unrealistic in FM (at least the demo so far):

Arsenal scores goals in the air. Pascal Cygan is a "commanding centreback". Pascal Cygan has not scored a goal on Arsenal yet in my 5 demo games. Pascal Cygan has won aerial challenges. ManU has consistently been tops of the table (HAD to get one in at Mac ).

However, the regularity with which my backlines has been beaten by quick forwards has warm my heart. At least with regards to realism. As has Freddie's and Le Bob's brittle-ness. Cheers.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:17 AM   #497
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
I got the game ! After 3 years of reading about these soccer sims I've finally given in. How long does it take for one to complete 1 season of play? Im looking for at least a 20-30 year career when I get the game.
That depends on how you play, really. bbor can buzz through pretty quickly since he likes the management part of it, mainly, and lets his assistant manager work with the reserves, whereas my anal-retentive, micromanaging self (yes, I DO use squad rotation with my U-18 matches) takes a forever and a half to get through a season or two.

I HEART the lack of roster limit in the CM4-family games.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:35 AM   #498
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
A lot of this depends on the level that you're playing at and the style of tactics you use - in the Conference for instance things will generally be scrappier than in the Premiership where more cultured football is played.

The commentary needs to be improved to give more 'flavour' to the situation as its fairly 'generic' at the moment ....

Quote:
This is something we'll look into, they do drift in, but not as much as I think they should .... although having watched Man Cities static forwards this week its probably about right

Quote:
There are a lot of 50-50 balls in the games I play in, however these are more apparent when you watch the 2D view as the commentary doesn't indicate these particularly well (commentary is something we'll be working a lot on for the next version).

Quote:
We've got some fixes for this in the first patch which is coming out and more will be present in the next one - it is imho playable, but I'll happily admit it could be much better, especially in the MLS specific areas (ie. draft etc.).

Quote:
It was tested thoroughly and several testers have played games in that league, however we have pretty limited resources at SI (we aren't a huge company contrary to popular opinion and had a sum total of 7 people working on coding FM here) ... hence there simply weren't the resources to implement a lot of the MLS specific stuff.

I apologise for that, part of my job is making the hard calls as to what is concentrated on during development so you can squarely blame me for this.

Quote:
This is true - not least because FM is a lot more in depth and realistic than CM01-02 (imho).

We have done a fair amount of work in optimisations for FM2005 and will work on this area again for the next version, when CM3 first came out it was considered extremely 'slow' and over time the speed picked up from our optimisations and peoples increasing PC speed ... a similar curve is expected with FM.

Quote:
Nothing that I can talk about at the moment I'm afraid.

An F-1 game is a definite NO though, as the licencing issues are very restrictive in that sport - there is a promising F1 management game kicking around on the web call "F1 Championship Manager" (or something very similar) ... last time I checked it out though they hadn't released more than screenshots of the game.

Hope this helps,

Marc
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 AM   #499
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Hattie Geek!!!

As I've told you before: tell me something I don't know

Seriously, as I play FM, sometimes I'm thinking with my HT mind, like if I see I'm really down in possession, during the game, and I automatically think "man I'm so gonna lose that game"

I have not found the "promote youth pull" button to click on Saturday evenings though

FM
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 AM   #500
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait to hear some thoughts on the patch.

Todd