Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Will the lockout cost the NBA any games?
Yes 57 79.17%
No 11 15.28%
Trout 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #451
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Twitter

Quote:
The NBA has killed the proposed deal to send Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

Quote:
Owners were irate in Board of Governors meeting with Stern, livid that the league-owned Hornets were allowed to make Paul deal, sources say.

Quote:
NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources tell Y! Sports.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-08-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #452
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So the truth is, someone in FOFC is David Stern.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #453
Tigercat
College Starter

Sounds like NBA (owners in this case) screwed over the Hornets by not OKing the deal. Hornets were all set to get a decent deal for Paul and try to move forward. Instead the NBA owners basically vetoed it, leaving the Hornets with nothing when Paul bolts at the end of the year. Thanks, NBA owners. The league better do something to make this right. A team who's transactions have to be OKed by the rest of the league's owners? What kind of fucked up system is that? This is 10x worse than the Expos. The Hornets are surprisingly selling tickets right now, and what do the fans get for it?
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #454
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

@ChrisPaul WoW
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #455
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Sounds like NBA (owners in this case) screwed over the Hornets by not OKing the deal. Hornets were all set to get a decent deal for Paul and try to move forward. Instead the NBA owners basically vetoed it, leaving the Hornets with nothing when Paul bolts at the end of the year. Thanks, NBA owners. The league better do something to make this right. A team who's transactions have to be OKed by the rest of the league's owners? What kind of fucked up system is that? This is 10x worse than the Expos. The Hornets are surprisingly selling tickets right now, and what do the fans get for it?

Decent deal? What are you...a Lakers fan?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #456
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Decent deal? What are you...a Lakers fan?

The last I heard with the Hornets supposedly getting a 1st on top of the players and dumping Okafor's contract, sounded like the best any Hornet fan could hope for while trading any player in the last year of his contract.

Even without the 1st and having to keep Okafor it was better than I thought the Hornets would get. Now, if Paul wasn't so set on who he would sign with, Hornets could get a decent bidding war going, but it obviously wasn't going to work out that way.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #457
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The 1st was New Yorks which won't be that good. They'd be better off going young and rebuilding in a trade than playing farm system for the Lakers.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #458
Tigercat
College Starter

The Hornets would be better off in lots of scenarios, but Demps and the Hornets front office aren't playing lets make a crappy deal for ourselves. They made the best deal they could make for their team.

But what am I thinking? Why should we expect our local team to be able to be autonomous? By vetoing the deal it is clear that the Hornets ARE a farm system only.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #459
MikeVic
Head Coach

wtf. I think that's total bs, I'm no Lakers fan... but the league aka fucking David Stern should have come out way earlier and said Paul is untouchable or something. So he's not getting traded at all?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #460
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The 1st was New Yorks which won't be that good. They'd be better off going young and rebuilding in a trade than playing farm system for the Lakers.

And I'm in complete agreement with that, but... the reality of the situation is, you sold 10,000 season tickets in the middle of a lockout and with everyone realizing we were going to lose our marquee player. You cannot turn around and reward those people by tanking the season. Even though it's the best long-term strategy, and this is a great year to suck. Short season, good draft.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #461
chadritt
High School Varsity

Yeah, im fairly confused now. Are they not allowed to trade anyone or is it just him? Could they trade him to the Knicks since thats where hes always said he wants to go? What happens if he refuses to play and demands a trade? I dont want him on the Lakers, id rather the Clippers frankly, but this is just weird.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #462
bronconick
College Starter

How is their "ownership" set up? With Phoenix in the NHL, I believe they have an internal cap and and other than that, their GM is left alone. They even extended one of their younger D-men for 5 years this summer.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #463
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Yeah, im fairly confused now. Are they not allowed to trade anyone or is it just him? Could they trade him to the Knicks since thats where hes always said he wants to go? What happens if he refuses to play and demands a trade? I dont want him on the Lakers, id rather the Clippers frankly, but this is just weird.

It's a clusterfuck and no one knows. What seems like happened is a bunch of owners got on the phone irate that they were going to trade him to the Lakers. It would have looked like shit had they done it and looks like shit now that they vetoed it. League should not own a team.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #464
Grover
Pro Starter

Fantastic.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #465
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
How is their "ownership" set up? With Phoenix in the NHL, I believe they have an internal cap and and other than that, their GM is left alone. They even extended one of their younger D-men for 5 years this summer.

That's basically how it is with the Hornets. I think, in this case, the NBA just got embarrassed because two seconds after they agreed to their new CBA and trumpeted all the competitive balance stuff, the news is completely dominated by "Paul/Howard trade to xx big market" followed by a trade of yet another superstar to, lo-and-behold, the Lakers! Whaddaya know!

So now they're just pouting a bit, and since they own the Hornets they can actually do something about it. I bet they turn the trade back on eventually. It's incredibly unfair to the Hornets, or to the Lakers if Paul goes somewhere else, or to Paul himself, who stands to lose roughly $40 million if he doesn't get traded somewhere he wants to be. Fun stuff.

Last edited by LloydLungs : 12-08-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #466
Groundhog
Coordinator

The NBA probably realises that the Hornets will be harder to sell if Kevin Martin is the face of their franchise.

Now, if they can just veto the Kwame-Pau trade as well...
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #467
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tayshaun Prince's new contract is a bigger injustice. I demand it be vetoed.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #468
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
How is their "ownership" set up?

Whatever set up makes the NBA and the owners happy at any given minute.

Autonomy up to the point where it affects the rest of the NBA, because oh no, we can't have those cute little ownerless scamps changing the NBA dynamics! The Hornets are fine as long as they know their role and play things out to their natural conclusions. (All the way to the absolute bottom of the NBA.) Where is Bryant Gumbel to make a horrible slave analogy when you need him?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #469
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The NBA probably realises that the Hornets will be harder to sell if Kevin Martin is the face of their franchise.

The Hornets have had an ownership group waiting in the wings for awhile. Waiting for the CBA to get done and now waiting for a new lease with the state to get finalized. I'm pretty sure they've all been well aware that Paul won't be the face of the franchise whether he leaves now or shortly after now.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #470
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I still don't think it was a good deal for the Hornets. Bynum isn't cheap, only has 2 years left, and is hurt all the time. Martin isn't cheap or a long term option either. Scola is the only good part coming out of this for them.

I liked some of the Golden State and Clippers deals thrown around. Bledsoe, Aminu
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #471
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
The Hornets have had an ownership group waiting in the wings for awhile. Waiting for the CBA to get done and now waiting for a new lease with the state to get finalized. I'm pretty sure they've all been well aware that Paul won't be the face of the franchise whether he leaves now or shortly after now.

Maybe it was a simple as the new owners phoning the NBA and saying "uhhh... did we just trade a top-3 PG for a couple of top-30 forwards and a top-20 guard?"
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #472
MikeVic
Head Coach

New owners have to know that Paul isn't staying, or they're complete idiots that don't follow the NBA even a bit.

The trade might not have been the greatest thing out there, but the fact that it seems like the owners vetoing it is the reason why it was not done does not sit well with me. Especially with the bs offseason crap.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #473
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, it was Odom, not Bynum. And I don't see what the Hornets need out of him.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #474
Tigercat
College Starter

Dell Demps will go on to be a good NBA GM. I'm not saying he is there now or that I have a ton of faith in him right now, but given what I've seen out of him thus far, I have a hard time believing that he settled for a hamburger while there is legit steak dinners to be had out there.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #475
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
New owners have to know that Paul isn't staying, or they're complete idiots that don't follow the NBA even a bit.

No doubt, but still, if you can't turn a top-3 PG in to a top-10 anything, you failed.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #476
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
No doubt, but still, if you can't turn a top-3 PG in to a top-10 anything, you failed.

Well, the Hornets don't have much leverage. When you have a guy who will leave and will only go to a very select few teams, you don't have much to work with as Hornets GM.

I wonder what the Hornets are supposed to do now, though. Training camp starts tomorrow. They have six guys signed. How do you make any sort of plans in terms of who you're going to sign with this going on?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #477
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

If that's the deal the GM worked out though? What if he had other plans in place to get other stuff for the pieces he got back? Again, I'm not a Lakers fan but if this was overturned by the owners... I've just had enough of their crap.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #478
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

What? In the last year of his contract? For the Hornets' sake I wish to God the NBA really worked that way. But yea, no. At best the Hornets could get another top player with one year left on his contract, but then they would likely be in the same boat. Only trading a guy the fanbase already loves with a stranger.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #479
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The NBA are a bunch of clowns.

This veto is because the small market teams tried their hardest to break the bnig market teams in the deal, and what happens? The Lakers announce they're going to sign Paul and Dwight Howard. Can't have that! Those Lakers need to realize they're not the boss of us!

Whatever the Hornets get back is about an infinite percent better than what they get when CP3 leaves at the end of his deal, which is zero, zilch, nada, NOTHING.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #480
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Dell Demps will go on to be a good NBA GM. I'm not saying he is there now or that I have a ton of faith in him right now, but given what I've seen out of him thus far, I have a hard time believing that he settled for a hamburger while there is legit steak dinners to be had out there.
I don't think he did either. I just think the plan is wrong for a small market team. Get some good picks (like GS and Clippers have) and a young talent and rebuild in next years deep draft. I mean if they could pull a deal off with the Clippers, they could have two top 5 picks, cap room and Eric Bledsoe to build around next offseason.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #481
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Paul won't go to a team with assets. So that's the real problem here. Or he'll go, but he won't resign. No one is going to sell the farm to get him for one year other than Boston, who had nothing to lose. Maybe that still ends up happening. I think the end, the Lakers get their way. No way you can start the season with Chris Paul on the Hornets. At this point, he's gotta be somewhere else.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-08-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #482
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well Martin and Odom are potentially off the books after next season, but Scola is on the books through 14/15 at over 10mil. If Paul leaves after next season they would at the very least get themselves cap space, which I’m guessing they’d like more than Scola’s contributions in 2013. High draft picks and cap space might be the best thing for them if they can’t land someone top-10 in a trade.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #483
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
"The owners half-pushed this through, and Stern took it the rest of the way," a league source said. "In the end, David didn’t like that the players were dictating where they wanted to go. He wasn't going to let Chris Paul dictate where he wanted to go."

Twitter
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #484
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think he did either. I just think the plan is wrong for a small market team. Get some good picks (like GS and Clippers have) and a young talent and rebuild in next years deep draft. I mean if they could pull a deal off with the Clippers, they could have two top 5 picks, cap room and Eric Bledsoe to build around next offseason.

I totally agree with this. They're not going to get value for Paul but at least get some young guys or some picks, that you can either use to build a team around or flip for something good. They just got a bunch of decent-ish veterans who nobody else in the league really wants. It was a shit deal for the Hornets from where I'm sitting. You turn Paul into Bledsoe, Aminu, Jordan and the Minnesota first, you've got pieces to trade and you've got some young guys with some upside.

That being said, I absolutely disagree with the decision to block it. Horrible precedent to set. If they didn't want this kind of deal to go down, they should have done something about it in the CBA. you know, the one the ink is still drying on. And yeah, in the end if the Hornets can't move Paul they're the ones who are screwed. Nobody is going to give them a better deal now. Incredibly short sighted.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #485
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I do not understand why Stern caved on system issues to end the lockout, if that's their stance. The caving on the system issues ensured that the "small market star wants to play on NY/LA/other sexy media team" was going to be a regular NBA ritual for the foreseeable future. You should have thought of this a couple weeks ago, David.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #486
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Lloyd: it wasn't "Do a deal with the small market star not getting to go where he wants or not".. it was "If we don't cave on the system issues, WE HAVE NO SEASON"
Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #487
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
"

Look, Paul understood that he wasn't going to get to go to the Knicks.. He just said to New Orleans "Look, I'm not going to sign a new contract. Find a place, and I won't be too bad about it as long as you guys get enough back to make it worthwhile for you"

If that's the case, Stern needs to resign right now. "How DARE those players say where they want to play!"
Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #488
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Massa Stern says no! No trades.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #489
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Lloyd: it wasn't "Do a deal with the small market star not getting to go where he wants or not".. it was "If we don't cave on the system issues, WE HAVE NO SEASON"

Yeah, I know. That was the price they paid for having a season. They can't both have a season AND get all pissy about players demanding to play on NY/LA/other sexy media team. They made their choice.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #490
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I was wondering how long it was going to take to get to the plantation owners comment etcetera, does he realize to a good portion of the NBA's fans, he's actually VALIDATING that horrible stereotype?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #491
DeToxRox
Head Coach

New Orleans gets boned hard in all of this. How the fuck can they trade him anywhere else now? CP3 is going to walk away and the Hornets will get nothing for him
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #492
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Look, Paul understood that he wasn't going to get to go to the Knicks.. He just said to New Orleans "Look, I'm not going to sign a new contract. Find a place, and I won't be too bad about it as long as you guys get enough back to make it worthwhile for you"

We-eelll, that's not completely true -- the Hornets had a couple of better deals lined up (Gordon from the Clippers, Curry from GSW) that couldn't get done because he wouldn't commit to those teams. The Clippers in particular was tough. Yeah, you'd have to play for a racist dickwad owner, but it's still LA and you get to run the break with Blake Griffin. If you're not going to agree to that you're putting the Hornets in a spot where their choices are pretty limited. Hence this flawed deal they did today.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #493
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
New Orleans gets boned hard in all of this. How the fuck can they trade him anywhere else now? CP3 is going to walk away and the Hornets will get nothing for him

This. Let's say best case scenario the Clips come back with the offer for the young guys and the first. How can you trade him to the other LA team for a deal that includes less talent (although is a much more sensible long term plan) than the one you blocked?

I think the most likely scenario is the Lakers or Rockets sweeten it slightly and it goes through, just to save face. But if not, you just destroyed the Hornets immediate future and chance to get something for their one asset. Awesome.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #494
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
We-eelll, that's not completely true -- the Hornets had a couple of better deals lined up (Gordon from the Clippers, Curry from GSW) that couldn't get done because he wouldn't commit to those teams. The Clippers in particular was tough. Yeah, you'd have to play for a racist dickwad owner, but it's still LA and you get to run the break with Blake Griffin. If you're not going to agree to that you're putting the Hornets in a spot where their choices are pretty limited. Hence this flawed deal they did today.

Did the Clippers really offer Gordon? I thought they wouldn't offer Gordon and it never went anywhere from there.

If they did that then a) Chris Paul is a moron and b) the Clippers front office isn't particularly bright either
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #495
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Did the Clippers really offer Gordon? I thought they wouldn't offer Gordon and it never went anywhere from there.

If they did that then a) Chris Paul is a moron and b) the Clippers front office isn't particularly bright either

Not sure as I certainly wasn't in on the talks, but the impression I got was that they would have dealt Gordon with a firm long-term commitment from Paul. Without that Gordon was off the table (though personally I'd have rolled the dice anyway and gambled that Paul would love playing with Blake too much to leave).
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #496
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Did he veto the trade, or did he just say he wouldn't sign a long term deal.. big difference.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #497
MikeVic
Head Coach

The problem with these other deals is that we aren't 100% sure they were offered, what was offered, etc. Here was a trade that gave them SOMETHING (i.e. more than the Raptors got for Bosh) and the NBA said NOPE!

Last edited by MikeVic : 12-08-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #498
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was wondering how long it was going to take to get to the plantation owners comment etcetera, does he realize to a good portion of the NBA's fans, he's actually VALIDATING that horrible stereotype?

I don't think he actually feels that way, but he sure plays that role on TV.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #499
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The problem with these other deals is that we aren't 100% sure they were offered, what was offered, etc. Here was a trade that gave them SOMETHING (i.e. more than the Raptors got for Bosh) and the NFL said NOPE!

And Roger Goddell fined them, too.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #500
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And Roger Goddell fined them, too.

lol dammit. That's what I get for watching Steelers and get riled up about the NBA at the same time.