Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #451
britrock88
Pro Starter

Can we get back to ragging on that school down south?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #452
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Can we get back to ragging on that school down south?

I guess when they say they are THE Ohio State University we can say that's because they are the one with THE NCAA sanctions.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #453
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #454
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Steve Spurrier suggested at the SEC meeting that 70 players per team get a $300 per game bonus. 7 out of 12 SEC coaches voted for it.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #455
GrantDawg

BTW, he was suggesting the money come from the coaches.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #456
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Steve Spurrier suggested at the SEC meeting that 70 players per team get a $300 per game bonus. 7 out of 12 SEC coaches voted for it.

Quote:
BTW, he was suggesting the money come from the coaches.

That's about a quarter-mil a year. I'm sure he meant the money should come from the assistant coaches.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #457
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
No. Allowing outside "companies" to pay players without rules or structure is what is going to end up hurting the integrity of the game.

Currently, there are roughly 14,000 (by one count) Division I football players. The NCAA cannot even police the most obvious of infractions (see Ohio State/Terrell Pryor) and you want to open the flood gates with unregulated money.

You are openly saying that what happens on the field is no longer going to determine the results on Saturdays. That will be determined by people with financial interests in the players.

Those million dollar shoe contracts you keep babbling about are going to affect less than one-tenth of one percent of these kids and you better believe that many, many more kids are going to want to drive fast cars and have plenty of cash. Which is where you'll begin to see unsavory elements creep in.

You can debate whether or not the schools should be paying these kids beyond the benefits they already receive. But under your plan you're surrendering the integrity of the game.

That my friend... is just flat retarded.

So if a player is allowed to make money, they will throw games to make more money. If a player is not allowed to make money, they will not throw games to make money.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #458
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Is this serious or are you trying to be obtuse?

They pay more than the bookies can afford.
If Peyton Maning ets caught throwing a game he lsoes 18MM a year. For a what 1MM payday?
Wouldn't this be just as much an issue if you didn't pay the players anything? His argument is that if you pay players, they will rig games. Why wouldn't players who can't make money and need it (like we have right now) have more incentive to do this?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #459
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So if a player is allowed to make money, they will throw games to make more money. If a player is not allowed to make money, they will not throw games to make money.

I typed out a big response... but decided not to post. You've clearly made up your mind on the issue and no amount of evidence to the contrary seems to sway you.

I truly hope you get what you want, because shortly thereafter college football and basketball will get blasted back to the stone-age buried in unrelenting scandal.

Cheers.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #460
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I typed out a big response... but decided not to post. You've clearly made up your mind on the issue and no amount of evidence to the contrary seems to sway you.

I truly hope you get what you want, because shortly thereafter college football and basketball will get blasted back to the stone-age buried in unrelenting scandal.

Cheers.
You don't need a long response, just clarifying that position. That allowing players to earn money will cause them to rig games but not allowing them to earn money won't.

And making bad assumptions is not providing evidence of anything, it's just making bad assumptions. If you have some proof of how allowing kids to have jobs will destroy the fabric of college athletics, please let us know.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-01-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #461
GrantDawg

Quote:
That's about a quarter-mil a year. I'm sure he meant the money should come from the assistant coaches.

No, straight from the Head coaches. And more than half the coaches supported the idea.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #462
molson
General Manager

Quote:
No, straight from the Head coaches. And more than half the coaches supported the idea.

Was it a hypothetical straw poll or do they have any mechanism for actually doing that?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #463
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

What does he care, he'll just get a 250K raise from the University, or "someone" will pay him 250K for a speaking engagement and he'll call it a day.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #464
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Ohio State should get hammered with LOIC and severe penalties, and Ohio State faithful should demand the resignations of Smith and Gee for embarrassing their University.

Ahh E. Gordon Gee. Unbelievably (and for whatever it's worth), even Brown University's athletic program was sanctioned under his watch.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #465
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So Pryor ups the ante of stupidity by not only driving cars he doesn't own to practice, but does so with a suspended license.

Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor driving privileges suspended in Ohio - ESPN
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #466
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
So Pryor ups the ante of stupidity by not only driving cars he doesn't own to practice, but does so with a suspended license.

Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor driving privileges suspended in Ohio - ESPN

He's either a bigger idiot than originally thought or he knows he's played his last game at OSU and just doesn't give a shit.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #467
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's either a bigger idiot than originally thought or he knows he's played his last game at OSU and just doesn't give a shit.

Can't it be both?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #468
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Not surprisingly, one of the local TV stations tried to get an interview with Pryor's mother. She wouldn't face the camera, and just said "he's being painted the wrong way!" before going into her house.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #469
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Was it a hypothetical straw poll or do they have any mechanism for actually doing that?

It was during the SEC coaches and AD meetings.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #470
GrantDawg

Here is the full article. He actually wrote it up and had places for the coaches to sign. Steve Spurrier proposes that coaches pay players out of their own pockets | UGA sports blog

The signers were: Will Muschamp, Derek Dooley, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Houston Nutt, Dan Mullen and the Ole Ball Coach.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #471
GrantDawg

And just to keep reposting because I think of something else, Mark Richt didn't, but he said every coach agrees with the idea of paying players for games, it is a matter of how.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #472
GrantDawg

And one more note: The Big 10 also passed the idea of paying players a larger stipend in their spring meetings. The reporter stated this looks like not a matter of "if" but "when" for the larger conference schools, and the NCAA president has suggested he is open to the idea.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #473
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here is the full article. He actually wrote it up and had places for the coaches to sign. Steve Spurrier proposes that coaches pay players out of their own pockets | UGA sports blog

The signers were: Will Muschamp, Derek Dooley, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Houston Nutt, Dan Mullen and the Ole Ball Coach.
It's just a recruiting stunt. "Hey blue chip recruit, I was in favor of getting you guys some extra money during the season while these other guys weren't. Who do you think is going to look out for you?".
Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #474
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No. Allowing outside "companies" to pay players without rules or structure is what is going to end up hurting the integrity of the game.

Currently, there are roughly 14,000 (by one count) Division I football players. The NCAA cannot even police the most obvious of infractions (see Ohio State/Terrell Pryor) and you want to open the flood gates with unregulated money.

You are openly saying that what happens on the field is no longer going to determine the results on Saturdays. That will be determined by people with financial interests in the players.

Those million dollar shoe contracts you keep babbling about are going to affect less than one-tenth of one percent of these kids and you better believe that many, many more kids are going to want to drive fast cars and have plenty of cash. Which is where you'll begin to see unsavory elements creep in.

You can debate whether or not the schools should be paying these kids beyond the benefits they already receive. But under your plan you're surrendering the integrity of the game.

That my friend... is just flat retarded.

What horseshit. Unsavory elements? My god, could you use more dog-whistles? Kids are getting screwed while coaches are minting money - there's no integrity in the game right now, so anything that breaks up the NCAA's hypocritical bullshit is an improvement.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #475
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
What horseshit. Unsavory elements? My god, could you use more dog-whistles? Kids are getting screwed while coaches are minting money - there's no integrity in the game right now, so anything that breaks up the NCAA's hypocritical bullshit is an improvement.
I don't disagree that the NCAA is filled with a lot of hypocrisy, but I challenge the contention that the "kids are getting screwed..."

If they're getting "screwed", how come you don't see kids heading straight for the CFL or Arena Leagues, or some enterprising young entrepreneurs starting up a football minor league?

Jay Paterno on paying college athletes
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #476
molson
General Manager

Still waiting for that "they're already getting a great deal" argument to apply to coaches, university presidents, or tv networks for that matter. Why shouldn't coaches just be paid in graduate course scholarships and room and board?

Last edited by molson : 06-02-2011 at 04:14 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Heh, some real paragons of virtue on that list
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #478
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

If they're getting "screwed", how come you don't see kids heading straight for the CFL or Arena Leagues, or some enterprising young entrepreneurs starting up a football minor league?

Because the NFl is the recognized daddy...and if you were to try. You'd be black balled and never land an NFL gig. Rocket wanted in the NFl after 1 year it took him 6 and he signed for min sal
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #479
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Because the NFl is the recognized daddy...and if you were to try. You'd be black balled and never land an NFL gig. Rocket wanted in the NFl after 1 year it took him 6 and he signed for min sal

Rocket Ismail only played 2 years in the CFL before signing with the Raiders for 2 years $3 mil.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #480
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Rocket Ismail only played 2 years in the CFL before signing with the Raiders for 2 years $3 mil.

that should have read 3 not 6.
not sure why/how I typo'd that?
I thought for sure he spent 3 years in Canada.
That said wanst his first year min sal and his next back loaded so he could be cut?

To be fair, saying Al Davis went against the establishment is shocking?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #481
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

you know, the funny thing is people bitch and moan, etc... but college football is awesome. I say leave things the way they are.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #482
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Store Front - The Ohio State Buckeyes Athletics Auction Site - OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Old 06-03-2011, 01:46 AM   #483
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, a friendly trip to KBB.com suggests that even the base trim version of the Nissan model that Pryor bought for "about 11000" has a value of about 18k.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #484
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes, but once they are touched by a Buckeye, they depreciate quite quickly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #485
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Pryor is out at OSU.

Attorney: Pryor won't return for senior season - ESPN
Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #486
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Like rats jumping off a sinking ship.. who is next?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #487
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Knew that was coming.

See ya later turd.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #488
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In other news, Lance Bass is gay
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #489
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

First Tressel resigns for "best interest of Ohio State" & now Pryor leaves "in the best interest of (his) teammates." Gee, what noble men!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #490
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Tressell was/is a damn good college coach and Pryor one hell of a talent. They will always embody to me what is is to be a Buckeye.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #491
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Not a fan of the site but if this is legit evidence, oh boy.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/exclus...to-pryor-29745

Quote:
In addition to Pryor’s past NCAA transgressions, today I confirmed that Ohio State was recently cited by NCAA enforcment officials for dozens of payments Pryor received in past years from a Columbus sports memorabilia dealer that are considered outside of NCAA rules.

The NCAA violations were discovered when the name of the local memorabilia dealer, Dennis Talbott, was seen on checks Pryor was depositing in his personal bank account.

During Pryor’s time at Ohio State, Talbott paid him tens of thousands of dollars to sign Ohio State Buckeye memorabilia. Talbott currently lists a Pryor-signed item for sale on his Ebay sellers account, which is identified by the account name “infickelwetrust.”

Talbott, who has sold hundreds of sports memorabilia items on Ebay, recently switched to that account name from his old handle: “intresselwetrust.” Talbott currently lists 250 items for sale on the auction site, including Ohio State Buckeye football memorabilia.

Talboot, who is a professional sports photographer who has shot images appearing at SI.com and ESPN.com, often obtained media credentials from Ohio State in order to gain access to Buckeye football players.

Midway through the 2010 football season, Talbott was ordered by Ohio State officials to completely disassociate himself from the program. That indicates that administrative members of the OSU athletic department knew of Pryor’s activities involving Talbott long before the NCAA recently discovered the payments from Talbott to the former Buckeye quarterback
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #492
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

$30-40k worth of payments to Prior apparently.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #493
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

ESPN article suggests it doesn't end with Pryor, either.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #494
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
ESPN article suggests it doesn't end with Pryor, either.

One of Michigan's Rivals guys who is close with two writers for the Dispatch said the other shoe is dropping soon and the Pryor stuff will pale in comparison.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #495
RedKingGold
College Starter

Life Rule #1: Never trust in fickel.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 06-07-2011 at 10:58 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #496
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
One of Michigan's Rivals guys who is close with two writers for the Dispatch said the other shoe is dropping soon and the Pryor stuff will pale in comparison.

Been hearing this for a while. Thought it would be SI to break it. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg. Will be very interesting to see how the NCAA handles this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #497
Kodos
Resident Alien

I vote: DEATH PENALTY! Who's coming with me?!?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #498
Stinky
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I vote: DEATH PENALTY! Who's coming with me?!?

I am an OSU alum and I think I'm on board at this point. This a complete failure from players, coaches, administration, and fans from a program that should have learned the lesson from the Clarett mess. The whole coaching staff is still in place other than Tressel including his f'ing brother. Why? They should clear house at this point including the AD. If they can't keep track of the highest profile player in the program, they're too incompetent to stay.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #499
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Most d1 programs probably have some degree of dirt that would be found if the ncaa/media really started digging.. but nothing in comparison to the epic fail that is ohio state compliance.

Death penalty needs to happen, plus banning ohio state from playing football this year, i'm convinced no one on this team is innocent, including the players.

At least we have solace in the fact that pryor would be taking a pay cut going to the cfl..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #500
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Braxton Miller | eBay